[Drama 2013~2014] The Woman Who Married Three Times 세번 결혼하는 여자

jwand

I stopped watching around episode 32 (you know, when the drama was supposed to end) but caught the last 30 minutes of episode 40. I'm not surprised by the ending as it was appropriate for these characters. ES was always a self-centered person, so it makes sense that she chose to put herself first in the end. Her dad explained her personality as passionate, so once she decides something isn't it, she'll let it go.

Korean culture emphasizes obligation toward one's parents, children, spouse, etc., and too often women will sacrifice their own happiness to maintain unhealthy marriages and keep their families intact. The writer, who is known for portraying controversial subjects with a rather liberal view, created a story where one woman chooses her own happiness over society's expectations. ES decides she just wants to live with SG without a husband and she tells her sister near the end that she's happy. The other characters end up living well with their decisions as well.

BTW, I found it funny how ES's mom is telling ES to live freely and not be chained to your child AS she's wiping ES's floor, and how ES complains to her mom that SG is stubborn and the mom says she's just like you. The writer got the parent-child dynamics down perfect.

Ultimately, the drama dragged and I was personally dissatisfied with the actors for ES and CR (one was too stilted and the other too dramatic), but the story made sense to me and this drama won't deter me from future works by KSH.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hipployta said: jwand said: In a way, I foresaw an ending of this nature. I can not get over the fact that the central character in this drama has the exact same name as the central character in My Sweet Seoul. The Oh Eun Soo in both stories is a modern Korean woman in her thirties. Each character has imperfections and events do not turn out exactly as they wished. Both characters end the story in a situation that is about the same as when they started. Both characters, however, have learned about themselves and are probably stronger than how they started. There has been a trend towards realism in stories about modern women.

tessieroo said: @loujaie - Thanks for the recommendation! And the explanation about the 3 rings ES was wearing.  ^:)^  And your patience, guidance and information in this thread. 
@ZarraJae - That's my take on this too and it's pretty messed up. It's okay to rape your wife, cheat on her multiple times, lie to your whole family...because in the end, you kind of get what you want. 
It's also okay to abuse a child as long as you have a great excuse. (like being abused yourself) AND you do not have to go to therapy because kindness, love and attention will solve the problem. I hate this one the most - I loathe criminals testifying in court "I murdered/molested those 10 children because I was abused and beaten by my Father as a child." Pffffttttttt, it's one of my pet peeves about the criminal justice system and sentencing guidelines. 
I seriously believed the DM "scandal" would break out so ES could keep her son. Can't believe both JG and DM got a happy ending. WooHoo - cheaters score in this one! :| Oh, and rich people win again. 
I do have to say, even with all the negative comments I read at the official site (and other places) every single person who posted something about Kim Soo-Hyun (the writer) mentioned this drama did not fit her writing style and they were surprised. So my take was this drama's ending/story-line was an aberration since she has an excellent reputation and people love her dramas. I guess everyone is entitled to have one bad story? 

The biggest issue was the pacing, this was such a slow-paced drama which let us see every detail of the way every character and every circumstance changed gradually but come episode 37, everything happened at neck-breaking speed. Long time issues get resolved seemingly too easily in less than 4 episodes (one, in the case of CR). I think the rushed resolution is what left most people unsatisfied. It looked like everyone just changed their minds at the last minute. 
Well, no matter how hard they tried to make ES look bad she's still my favorite character in this mess.

Why does ES have to be so docile ... yes, she must be polite and not break with culture and manners but she must stand up for herself once in a while. And is it just me or does the baby look like JG. Her heart must be broken into a thousand pieces by now ...  :(

i think the drama ended like it begin , no lesson , ES did the same mistake with the second child like SG , although TW is a weak person but he try many times to back with ES but ES no , always she make herself strong , do what she want , don't care about the happiness of the other ( her daughter) !!!!!

So glad ES decided that her third marriage is to herself. Proud 21st century woman ... aja aja hwaitingAt least she has learned that lesson, even though she shouldn't have left her kid with that family. I understand her perspective, though. The kid will have a way better life in that house, with everyone taking care of him and loving him (except for a mother, unless JG brings DM home in the future)
Really simple & unsatisfying ending, by the way. Nothing big or unpredictable. We always knew JG would not be able to stay away from DM. They should have just got married first :P Everyone else had a happy ending, except for ES. She deserves her child; you do not take a child away from its mother. It should be a major sin! I believe of all the K-Dramas I have ever seen, this has the most annoyingly simple, unfulfilled & disappointing ending.

The cause for such observation and opinion that many would consider is ES being left without her baby, like she's being punished for something ... while everyone else who deserves being punished is living the happy ending she is not. 
Also, depending on how you look at it, the "Married Three Times" part was really just justified by her marrying herself. The title totally lead many people on, who were expecting her to get back together with TW or get married to her true husband. Instead, it was all about her finding her way of living, true feelings, herself, and the strength she never had in the beginning.  The trend for modern and more based on realism ending is gradually getting noticed, as seen for the ending of 'The Woman Who Married Three Times".  
Additionally, this is an extra disappointment because the writer KSH is famous for her dramas and talent at break-through writing about controversial issues which are usually never liberally ventured into in dramas. In the public's eyes this work of hers can be deemed a failure, no matter how abrasive that may seem. It is an absolute aberration in our eyes. However, nobody is perfect and as the audience we don't have knowledge of the actual going-ons behind the scene. Many external factors, out of KSH's hands, may have been the cause for this. I know this won't necessarily deter me from KSH's future works, as her past works were done well.

Soompi friends, thanks for an awesome time and discussion about this drama !!! I loved your insights, awesome speeches, perspectives, pictures, and humor. 감사합니다, 친구들. 또 보자! >:D:-bd

joojanah said: @tessieroo yeah, I guess this drama was this writer's fail story. Maybe there was some meddling from the network, or maybe she relied too much on an assistant rookie writer, or the PD, guess we'll never know  :))

Ep 39...HS n mom convo on ES giving baby away to JG fam(from chinese vid)
HS: I am just giving you the heads up on the matterMom: Aish...What nonsense?! That's too cruel, too scary.HS: That fam will never let the baby go. Like ES, I think so too. Compared to ES raising the baby, it will be better for baby to be raised by them (wealthy, able to provide everything for baby)Mom: But, how can she just abandon her baby like that? How can she continue to live and deal with missing the baby?HS: Didn't she abandon SG? She has done it once. The second time around will be easier.Mom: How can you talk like that (about ES)?Mom: Dad says their fam may behave selfishly like that...(taking the baby)HS: Did dad say so?Mom: Just pretend you don't know anything about it. Why can't she(ES) resolve the issue and just return to her marital home? HS: How can she just pretend nothing happened?Mom: But how can she be so cruel? What good does it do for herself and baby by acting in this cruel way? Endure it one more time. Just one more time...HS: Mom...Mom: If you want to separate and divorce, that can be done anytime.HS: so, just ask her to go back to marital home, give birth to the baby, and then leave again?Mom: (Crying) What has she done with her life? What kind of ill fate she has? Every time, it was not her wrongdoing. Yet every time, the result is not in her favor. (Crying)HS: (Takes some tissues and hands to teary mom)Mom: Everything is all my fault. I have sinned too much, that's why her life ends up (badly) like this.HS: Mom, why are you taking the blame for all she has done? She made the choices, so she has to face the consequences and take care of the aftermath. She is bad and arrogant. She thinks too highly of herself.Mom: Don't reprimand her. I don't want to hear it. What are you going to do? What do you think you are doing (cohabitation)?HS: I don't know. We may break up. No, mom. GM is mad at me. I don't know where he went. No calls from him either. He told me he needs to rethink seriously. Mom: Don't tell me nonsense. What should we do about ES?HS: Has ES ever listen to us? In the end, she always does what she wants to do. Don't worry over it. I am leaving.(HS left. Mom still very sad)

Ep 39...ES' MIL and JG's Aunt convo(from chinese vid)
ES MIL: What are you saying?JG Aunt: The baby should be raised by his mom. A grandma is just a grandma. Baby has to grow up in mom's loving embraces to be emotionally well and stable. ES MIL: Who doesn't know that?JG Aunt: Chairman Kim cruelly forcing her to heartlessly give up her baby, that is greed.ES MIL: That request is not unreasonable. Is baby a regular (fam) grandchild?JG Aunt: Are you saying if baby is raised by his mom, then that is not your (reputable fam's) grandchild? ES MIL: Sis...JG Aunt: She will raise the baby well. If she says she wants to raise the baby herself, all of you just have to help her. Let her raise the baby...ES MIL: No. Does JG have to end up becoming a single dad? He has to marry someone who's kind and has a better character, and let her(new wife) raise the baby like her own child.JG Aunt: Rumors will be everywhere. There's no way to keep a secret forever.ES MIL: If you compare cruelty, there's no comparison between us(ES n MIL)? There has been no word from her ever since we asked for the baby. We can't impatiently pressure her either. We still have to put up with her (bad) attitude. Did you hear something new?JG Aunt: I met her once recently. She has no intention of returning.ES MIL: What about the baby?JG: All you care about is the baby?ES MIL: No way. What right does she have?JG Aunt: And what right do you have?ES MIL: Stop it already. I am not happy.JG Aunt: I am not happy too. Knowing what your own son has done and yet still only thinking about your own wishes, I really am not happy with this behavior.ES MIL: That's why I am so cruel. I can understand her(ES) emotional situation (of having a cheating spouse)JG Aunt: Since you can understand her emotional situation, then don't dislike her, don't try to take baby away from her. Women like you, with behavior like this, will be cursed at.(ES MIL looked at sis with disgust)
-------------From above two convos, we can see the harsh and derogatory way ES, the character, is being developed, which is contrary to what we have been led on to believe for the past 30-something eps. 
Oh, so it's just two bad cos ES totally deserves what she gets? She's too full of herself, too full of pride, too righteous, too morally upright, too much of an independent, modern and smart woman... NAH. 
The one thing I totally get that ES' mom said is ..."Mom: (Crying) What has she done with her life? What kind of ill fate she has? Every time, it was not her wrongdoing. Yet every time, the result is not in her favor. (Crying)" 
And, amidst all the insanity and greed, is sane, wise and reasonable Aunt. Still love love love Aunt :)

Lost for words...This is got to be one of the stupidest dramas I've seen.  I thought Princess Aurora was bad, but this takes the cake. Honestly, what was this drama really about. 1) Child Abuse 2) Rape 3) Intimidation (JG's family)  and 4) weak individuals.  Can't be anymore disappointed ....

And really ES marrying herself?  Just lame. I get that she has lost confidence but her character started out as a strong individual and ended as a weak, selfish individual. soooooo disappointing.  DM got what she wanted and CR got what she wanted.  2 characters that really wasn't the lead actors, were truly the evil ones in the drama and yet, they got exactly what they wanted. Go figure...... You could say that ES got what she wanted but did she really?  She lost the man she truly loved and gave up her baby  But, she is at peace?? Just plain dumb!

Don't understand why they added more eps to this drama.  What was the value for doing this? The only thing I could see is that they needed to tied up CR's character.  I'm so disappointed with this drama and the time I invested in watching it.  The only positive thing is that this forum provided a release and invoked good conversation.  Remind me never to watch another drama by this writer.

This started off as a great drama and simple nosedived into the ground.  Too bad, so sad

The kdrama101 take-away moral of TWWMTT drama, having the past 4/5 eps basically ruining it, is... 
it simply denounces...-womanhood in general, cos you womenfolk out there, you deserve the badness you get, that's your destiny for being a woman-marriage in general, cos it's better to marry yourself, or better to just cohabit and have as many premarital sex as you want with no strings attached-woman's choice of divorcing, cos you asked for it if you dare to even think of frowning on cheaters, or dare to chastise your lying spouse or/and thinking of divorce-woman's choice of leaving a cheating spouse or an evil MIL, cos you should forgive, reconcile, endure, and then repeat steps 1 to 3 all over again your whole life-woman's choice of protecting your child from abuse, cos it's better to hush up and be nice and listen to abusive step-parent-woman's choice to walk out of a torturous marriage and evil-MIL, cos that's just wrong, you have to endure and be tortured forever-viewers' love and emotion, intelligence and faithfulness-what else?
but it encourages... -infidelity, it's acceptable cos it's just men being men, you gotta take it in your marriage, every 9.5 out of 10 men is a cheater, don't you dare expect your spouse to be that 0.5 chance of a good man-lies and scams in marriage, it's ok cos who wants to air dirty laundry up-front, and in public-cohabitation is a better option than marriage, cos no need to have headaches and heartaches over divorcing-evil wealthy is ok, cos face it, the rich are really very powerful, and like it or not, the powerful rich will always get their way, and their 4th generation grandSON to keep the cycle churning -abandon and give away your child is ok, cos you are too poor and inept at raising your own baby, and you have done it before so it's easier already-abuse your child/spouse is ok, cos no one will report you to the authorities, instead you will get the rich man and luxurious life you love and want-sacrifice your love and life is ok, cos love is hogwash, instead you have to protect your abused about-to-be-divorced-wife, and you should ignore or forget your precious child was abused by your wife -wreck a home and covet other's spouse is ok, just keep being obsessed over someone's spouse, you will get lots of money, and you will end up getting the wealthy man you covet-be materialistic and get your payout from the rich is ok, cos why be stupid and full of pride to thumb all that down-what else? 
What's cooking, really :-/
=))  >:)  :):D  X_X

Archived