How to deal with an annoying classmate?

Guest entangled.

Guest entangled.

Hello all, i've been searching around the web trying to find out how to deal with this problem, but i really can't find any possible solutions without hurting someone in the process, so i decided to ask here myself~

I have this very annoying classmate who won't take the hint that I don't want to be friends with him. I've tried ignoring him and giving him short replies but i really don't think he's getting the hint that I don't want to do anything with him. It's even harder that he's friends with my group of friends and now he hangs out with us most of the time.

I've actually tried being nice and befriending him at the very beginning of the year but i just couldn't stand his attitude. I find him very rude and obnoxious. Often when he was around while I talked with my friends he'd mockingly mimic my every action and word. I'd told him to stop but he'd continue to do so and insult me, maybe he thought it was amusing but i really could care less now.

There was another instance that he'd ask to see my work. I know i shouldn't have shown him my work. But i thought id been being unnecessarily mean to him for quite some and i didn't want to be seen as some mean richard simmons. I shouldn't done have that. Not only did he copy a part of my work, he had the gall to taunt me with "Why you mad?" when i had asked he if he was seriously going to copy it. And he had actually written that exact part of my work down to remember for our exam. I know i was partly in the wrong but what i cannot comprehend is why he would continue to try and befriend me after that. I see him as someone who is merely trying to befriend me to try and get answers off me and using me for his own benefit. There have been other instances where i specifically told him he couldn't look at my work, only to find him later behind me secretly reading my work and criticizing what i wrote and asking for explanations. There's been other occasions where he'd try and sit next to me, whilst I constantly changed seats until he stopped following me.

I really would like some suggestions on how to get him to leave me alone. I'm really fed up with him, just thinking about what he's done really angers me, but i don't know how to get him to leave me alone without coming across as a mean person. I feel that if i directly told him to leave me alone, it will only lead to others seeing me as the one in the wrong and him as the victim.

Guest bona fide*

He's going to keep taking advantage of the situation if you don't stand your ground. Quit worrying about what others will say and tell him to richard simmons OFF.

i imagine this to be in high school, that is still really really young. he might like you, and this is his way of "pushing you into the sandbox"
i dont really have advice on what the most effective yet tactful thing to do here would be, but general rule of thumb, a conversation that accurately portrays your emotions is better than exploding all at once.  you never know what an obsessive person who holds a lot of resentment can do to you when you arent looking.

Rather than being nice when you tell him to stop whatever he is doing, you should be more straightforward and express your feelings. When he mimics you, tell him off and if this causes him to insult you, insult him back. He is getting away with what he is doing because either he is really that insensitive, or he is taking advantage of you since you have yet to tell him off (in a direct and rude way). Even if it results in him saying that you are taking things too seriously and whatnot, who cares? That does not give him the right to insult you and mock you in front of others. There is a difference between being mean towards someone you know for jokes, and another to take things too far and putting them down. If anything, say you are just giving him what he deserves by treating the same way he treats you.
As for work, hide it, or sit next to people so that he will have no room to hang around and copy your work. I had a classmate like that and I would hide my work (she will go as far as highlighting whatever I highlight). In the end, I told her to do her work herself and she caught on. If he complains and whines about not letting him copy or see your work, tell him to hire a tutor or something (as in, "don't bother me" or "you clearly need some extra help with your studies").

Since you said that he hangs out with your friends, I'd say you should tell them that you don't like this guy and the reason for that. Just so You could ignore him or whatever without having people criticizing you no?

If I were you I wouldn't worry if there would be anyone calling me mean. Unless you've treated other people badly in the first place, if it's just this one person that you are not fond with. I don't see why people would see you as a mean person overall .

Guest sigillumdiaboli

If you really want him to leave you alone, tell him. You're going to hurt him but that's life. he's not getting the hint that you don't want to be around him, you're going to have to be straight up and tell him to leave you alone, that you're not interested. If he still pursues you, that's harassment, and you can kick his richard simmons get help from someone to get him to leave you alone. It's always worked for me. Sometimes you have to be harsh. 

You're only hurting yourself by not telling him to gtfo. So 1) tell him to gtfo, 2) tell all your friends about him, and 3) avoid him at all cost. 

Archived