Celebrities' dramatic weight losses & gains for roles

Guest lattecloud

Guest lattecloud

Matthew McConaughey for "The Dallas Buyer's Club" - The usually robust "Magic Mike" star stepped out looking gaunt, a result of his intensive weight loss regimen in preparation for an upcoming role in "The Dallas Buyer's Club." In the upcoming flick, McConaughey plays Ron Woodroof, an electrician who is diagnosed with AIDS in 1986 and ends up saving his own life with a series of alternative medicines that he trundles into the country from Mexico. To properly portray the real-life Texas man, McConaughey will have to shed a whopping 30 pounds from his frame, a task that has left the actor with sunken cheeks and a lackluster complexion.
matthew-mcconaughey-dallas-buyer-club.jp
50 Cent in "Things Fall Apart" - The Queens rapper shed nearly 60 pounds to play a football player who has been diagnosed with cancer in the Mario Van Peebles film, "Things Fall Apart." Fitty, who normally tips the scales at 214 pounds, released a photo of himself at a frail 160. The singer says he lost the weight by going on a liquid diet and spending three hours a day on the treadmill for nine weeks.
50-cent-fall.jpg
Natalie Portman in "Black Swan" - Slender starlet Natalie Portman became worryingly thin for "Black Swan," dropping 20 pounds to portray a professional ballerina.
natalie-portman-black-swan.jpg
Christian Bale in "The Machinist" - Christian Bale is no stranger to stringent diets. He famously wasted himself away for his role in "The Machinist."
christian-bale-machinist.jpg
Charlize Theron in "Monsters" - Charlize Theron transformed herself to play serial killer Aileen Wuornos in "Monster," and was rewarded with a Best Actress Oscar. The blond beauty was unrecognizable in the 2003 film after gaining 30 pounds eating donuts.
charlize-theron-monsters.jpg

Dennis Quaid in "The Special Relationship" Another star to pack on the pounds for a meaty role is the usually hunky Dennis Quaid. He got super-sized to play President Bill Clinton in HBO's movie, "The Special Relationship." Quaid gained 35 pounds for the role by eating fast food. "I could have worn a suit to enhance my weight, but I didn't want to go that route. I did it the way he did: I went to McDonald's every day."dennis-quaid-special-relationship.jpg
Mila Kunis in "Black Swan" Mila Kunis said she weighed in at a new low of about 95 pounds during production of "Black Swan", in which she plays Portman's upstart rival and occasional lover. "In photographs and on film, it looked amazing," Kunis told eonline.com. But off-camera, the result was the opposite. "In real life, I looked disgusting." Post-"Black Swan," Kunis revealed that she gained nearly 25 pounds back. "I didn't do it because I had issues ... this is my normal weight that I started out with," Kunis told Glamour in June 2012.mila-kunis-black-swan.jpg
Mark Wahlberg in "The Fighter" -  Marky Mark's trademark abs are no more ... at least for a temporary time frame. The 38-year-old actor, who shot to fame for his sexy Calvin Klein underwear ads in the '90s, was spotted sporting a paunch on the set of "The Fighter." But have no fear, Wahlberg gained weight for his role as "Irish" Mickey Ward, an out of shape former boxer who is persuaded to get back in the ring by his half-brother Dickie Ecklund. The weight gain is likely for scenes from the Ward's time away from boxing, but Wahlberg trained for 18 months to get ripped for the scenes of Ward back in fighting shape.mark-wahlberg-fighter.jpg
Anne Hathaway in "Les Miserables" - Anne Hathaway lost not only serious pounds for her role in "Les Miserables," but also her trademark locks. The skinny starlet has lost weight to accurately portray Fantine, a starving factory worker who is forced into prostitution for the sake of her child. The 29-year-old shed the weight under the supervision of trained medics and insists her diet was not fun and should not be copied. "I lost the first 10 pounds in three weeks through a detox and then I lost the subsequent 15 in 14 days by doing food deprivation and exercise, which I don't recommend," contactmusic.com quoted Hathaway as saying.anne-hathaway-les-miserables.jpg
Matt Damon in "The Informant" What did Matt Damon enjoy most about making "The Informant"? While some celebs might cringe at gaining 30 pounds, the actor reveled in the chance to let himself go a little in the figure department. "It was very, very fun, probably the funnest time I had working because I didn't have to go to the gym after work and I just ate everything I could see," he told reporters. In an earlier interview with Entertainment Weekly, he revealed his secrets for packing on the pounds. "I started eating like crazy and drinking dark beer. Between meals on set, I'd eat a No. 1 Value Meal at McDonald's and then Doritos on top of it. It was absolute heaven." The glasses, handlebar mustache, and floppy haircut he donned for the role must have been easy to get rid of, but Damon also quickly lost the midsection.matt-damon-informant.jpg
Russell Crowe in "Body of Lies" - Woah! Russell Crowe's body was definitely lying in 2008's "Body of Lies." Crowe gained 63 pounds to play a CIA agent in the film. Crowe told Extra that he ate burgers for breakfast leading up to filming. russell-crowe-body-lies.jpg
Renee Zellweger in "Bridget Jones" films - Renee Zellweger drew major buzz when she gained, then lost her curves - twice - for the "Bridget Jones' Diary" movies. Zellweger's Oscar nominated role saw her gain nearly 30 pounds.renee-zellweger-bridget-jones-films.jpg
Jim Carrey for "The Three Stooges" - Jim Carrey vowed to pack on 40 to 50 pounds for his role as Curly in "The Three Stooges," but the joke's on him! After beginning to gain weight, Carrey dropped out of the role. The funnyman insisted that he'd wanted to gain all of the weight to truly play Curly, but gaining 60-80 lbs. was ultimately too unhealthy.jim-carrey-stooges.jpg
Jared Leto in "Chapter 27" - Jared Leto has said he ate entire Dominos pizzas for dinner in order to gain 60 pounds for his role as John Lennon's killer Mark David Chapman in "Chapter 27."jared-leto-chapter-27.jpg

SOURCE

Actress Antonia Campbell-Hughes displayed her fragile frame at Tim Burton's Frankenweenie premiere at the 56th BFI London Film Festival last night (October 10).
frankenweenie_11_wenn4120893.jpg frankenweenie_6_wenn4120768.jpg
The 30-year-old Albert Nobbs starlet has lost weight for her current role as Natasha Kampusch in 3096, based on the real-life story of Austrian Kampusch kidnapped aged 10 by Wolfgang Priklopil and held in captivity for eight years (3,096 days).
Yesterday, the Northern Irish star revealed the extent of her frail figure in a sheer blue floral frock as she graced the red carpet along with Burton, Helen Bonham Carter and Lauren Laverne.
burton_024_wenn5930448.jpg rexfeatures_1913417d.jpg
Matthew McConaughey has also been losing weight for a film role and was recently spotted looking gaunt and emaciated, as he prepares to play Texan electrician Ron Woodroof who contracts AIDS through drug abuse in the late '80s in The Dallas Buyer's Club.
rexfeatures_1830859a.jpg matthew5_wenn5901513.jpg
Filming for 3096 began back in May and the movie is set for cinematic release around February 2013.
wenn2551060.jpg rexfeatures_1017727x.jpg
See more pictures of stars losing and gaining weight for movie roles here:
50_cent_weight_loss_film.jpg50 Cent lost three stone to star in Things Fall Apart as an American football player suffering from cancer.
matt_damon_weight_loss.jpgMatt Damon lost a dramatic amount of weight to star in 1996's Courage Under Fire.
anne_hathaway_weight_loss_miserables.jpgAnne Hathaway lost weight and had to chop off all her hair for her upcoming role in Les Miserables.
natalie_portman_weight_loss.jpgNatalie Portman lost a reported 20 pounds to star as a ballerina in Black Swan which later won her an Oscar.
robert_de_niro_weight_raging_bull.jpgRobert De Niro put on a whopping 60 pounds to star as an ageing boxer for his Academy Award-winning role in Raging Bull.
tom_hanls_weight_cast.jpgTom Hanks lost weight to depict Chuck Noland stranded on an island in 2000's Cast Away.
christian_bale_weight_loss.jpgChristian Bale lost weight to star as a drug addict in The Fighter for which he later won an Oscar. The star also suffered irreversible liver damage after losing weight for The Machinist back in 2004.
tom_hardy_bronson.jpgTom Hardy put on three stone for 2008's Bronson.
vincent_metal_jacket.jpgVincent D'Onofrio put on 70 pounds to star in Stanley Kubrick's Full Metal Jacket back in 1987. It reportedly took him nine months to lose.
renee_zellweger_weight_loss.jpgRenee Zellweger put on 20 pounds to star in Bridget Jones and put it on again for the sequel.
Source

• 4 weeks later...

Archived