Goo Hye Sun 구혜선

Admin

Guest susAmerica

hello everyone

a link to share :D:D:D

http://blog.naver.com/thisisyawl/60081595720

credit DC

Thank you Mariposa for the link. I was trying to copy and translate and could not do it. Sorry soompies.

This is the interview of GHS by Lee Hae Young of EBS Cinema ChunGook (Cinema Heaven)

This interview is really powerful in that Lee gets to the guts of GHS where it really hurts!

GHS confirms for me for the second time (the first time from Elle Girl article) that she is not a miracle worker but a goal-driven, creative, hard worker. I thought she wrote her whole full-length screen play after she finished BOF. I thougth how could she??? She had to prepare for the gallery opening and she had to do promotional activities for BOF. However, it seems that she had been planning and working on her full length movie for a long time, for few years in fact. I do not know when she enrolled in her college which is Seoul Art College. However, she knew she wanted to major in PD. I do not think she graduated college yet.

I know that she wrote a script (12 episodes longs) that was rejected by many PD companies until she went to her life-manager, late Jung Seung Hae. However, Jung told her to do a short film and to make it herself. Perhaps that original 12-episode screen play might be her full-length movie to be??? I am sure she worked on it more to perfect it????? In MTV Girls on Top, the PD Hyun who directed her MV for "Yesterday So Different From Today" talked about how GHS is so interested in mystery films that contains logic and reasoning with some psychological twists, remember??? Perhaps talked about it with Director Hyun??? Why not? She works with so many directors and she wants to be a director. Why not learn while earning money too, right??? OF course, I am just guessing here, but it could be.

First pic is of Lee Hae Young in front of the Gallery La Mer in Insadong:

Actor and Director Goo Hye Sun

Attractive

Making her debut through stirring up "ulzzang syndrome"

Historical and modern TV dramas

Playing various roles so well, her acting skills acknowledged

Author of <Tango>

Directorial Debut with <Cheerful Caretaker>, invited to be screned at the PIFAN

Below 3rd pix:

Lee: I saw your <Cheerful Caretaker>. Except for acting in it, you pretty much did everything for that short film. Your film also received great reviews. (I also read somewhere--sorry can't remember--that she also worked on the details of the set design.)

Goo: Ahh, you saw it?

Lee: It's a story of one certain church that helps with mercy killing. "Imagination of space" (or maybe the phrase could be interpreted as "twilight zone"???)

You really did a remarkable job. Honestly, I was very jealous. (If I remember correctly, I believe Lee Hae Young is also a director/PD.)

Below 4th pic:

Goo: ahh, really?

Lee: an actress makes short film? a director? On top of that she is not just an actress, but a pretty one.A young and pretty actress directing a film roused lots of jealousy and envy. You know?

Goo: Perhaps not to the point of jealousy. Perhaps you thought, WHY? For what possible reason?? (I just love the way she"reversed" Lee's statement of his jealousy to a question that most people are wondering about her and her new ventures into so many different artisic medium. Lee calls this interview, "the interview of reversal or turn around". I don't quite know why, but I enjoyed the way Goo handled it. Yes, people are wondering, why is Goo doing all this? Why doesn't she just focus on perfecting her acting? Why is she showing off by writing, composing, drawing and directing? Is she trying to prove something to herself and/or to others???)

Lee: Did you feel you have to prove something to people? You felt inadquate for some reason? Why did you do it?

Below 5th pic:

Goo: sighs, I have lots problems and stress..things that I think about often...after a while, these thoughts disappear...they are just thoughts. I somehow did not want to let these daily thoughts of mine disappear. My thoughts and imaginations...imginations and creations...I did not want to lose them. I did not want to reveal them by talking about them but thorugh pictures and images.

Lee: AS you know, this interview has a name. A turn around interview. So what kind of bias and prejudice do you think the audience may have?

Below 6th pic:

Lee: Don;t pick anything too pretty. Think of the worst kind. (Wow, I like this guy! He is making GHS confront her enemies (anti's) and fear head on!)

Goo: Why all of a sudden so much all at once? For me to come this far took a long time with lots of work. But to the audience and viewers out there, they are thinking, how can a mere actress finish a drama, write, draw, compose and direct all at once?

Lee: That is right! Why and how did you do so much all at once? Yea, to us the audience, it is like a water dam broke. Flood of your works, all different kind of works are coming out from everywhere. People are saying you poke your nose into just about anything!

Below 7th pic:

Lee: For example, this place, this gallery is a place where your art work is exhibited. Also, you made a very good short movie. There are more--what are they? A novel! Not a short novel or a colection of short essays, but a long novel! People are asking, who is this person? What is she all about? Why is she doing this all of a sudden??? To stir up more bias, there is only one reason! Through acting, directing and art, you are ever branching out and widening your career field because of one reason of insatiable and unending greed! (Wow! this guy seems to be toughening up GHS' skin for the future anti's! Almost like a boxing lessong for GHS! Or just trying to break her down mercilessly?)

Below 8th pic:

Goo: Rather, I am showing to the audience the sauce or the ingredinets that go into making a movie. I want ot make movies. A movie requires not only actors but also art, music, various images, and more.

Lee: You are talking about making a movie not as an actress but as a producer and director?

Below 9th pic:

Goo: Yes, these are things that I have been preparing, in order to make a movie. As I worked on a movie, I felt the need to compose, to write, to design and draw. Of course, some of these things, I always wanted to do, but mostly it was for a movie. All of a sudden, I had way too much materials left over from preparing and studying to make a movie. I cannot use them all for a movie. I couldn't throw them away. So, I thougt, why not just show them to people first? All these material from my study. I guess that is all.

Lee: I see, so, even your novel fits into that?

Below 10th pic:

Goo: Yes, that's right.

Lee: So, all that work soley to make a movie. But acting is missing. People are questioning if GHS is going to only direct and not act anymore. When are you going to act again?

Goo: For a while, I will still do my best as an actress. Acting has brought me to this spot now and acting is my current job.

Lee: Actually, actors can be a used as target of yearning and admiration but also people can sink these actors by making them into a target of jealousy and envy.

Below 11th pic:

Goo: Yes

Lee: You personally were hurt a great deal through such attacks.

Goo: I could have lived in animosity. Until that happened, I thought to myself that I put in effort and hard work like so many people. I put in so much time and effort. I feel I cannot compare the two. I hope that people won't think so badly...(I really have a hard time understanding what Goo is trying to say here. What does she mean by "comparing the two"--what TWO? What I gather from her hazy statement is that she still has a lot of pain and unsettled issues about people's negativity. Like all of us, she has the vulnerable side where she wants to be loved, not attacked. We think she is strong because one side of her tells herself to, "don't be brainwashed by the society. Live loudly and strong" (from ElleGirl), but, she also has another side that struggles with fears and ill feelings towards her that could come from just about anywhere. What do you think, soompies? I might have translated badly also.)

Below 12th pic:

Lee: So to speak, to them (the critics), you are like a "umchin daughter"="goody, goody, perfect daughter from next door".

Goo: someone from a good family...

Lee: yes

Goo: hahaha

Lee: who grew up without problems or strife in a germ-free and clean environment

Goo: well, that is not the case. My family was not perfect and we were not rich. Plus I am not perfect-looking with perfect body whose acting is perfect. Definitely not even close.

Lee: From the beginning, you were a center of controversy.

Goo: yes

Lee: Along with Park Hanbuyl and Nam Sang Mi, you became an actress because of the "ulzzang status".

Goo: yes

Below 13th pic:

Lee: You did not become an actress like many other actresses who had to pay their dues by going the regular route such as auditioning in various talent recruiting contests or something like that. You got there because you passed being pretty and received so much attention.

Goo: yes, yes, yes..

Lee: So, you have a complex about it, maybe a will to overcome it, must have had strong desire for it,,,

Below 14th pic:

Goo: That complex of course made me want to do an excellent job as an actress. It is embarrassing to stand in the center of that,,,"ulzzang",,,Whever that word is spoken, my name follows. If you break down that word, ulzzang, it just means pretty on the surface. I could not even utter that word. Because of that syndrome, it created a certain societal standard about appearance and moved people towards that aim. I felt deeply apologetic. So, now, I feel sorry,,,

Lee: what do you mean, sorry?

Below 15th pic:

Goo: not because of anything I did. Of course, I was just living my own life. But because it might become a complex for other people,,,

Lee: become a complex?

Goo: Because I was in the center of that syndrome, I felt terribly guilty that I may cause somone to be influenced by it. (OMG! What a burden all these years! She must have hated that show about looking for ulzzangs. She did kind of have a complex about it, didn't she? Poor dear.)

Below 16th pic:

Lee: As we work, we tend to narrow down and specialize. which title do you want to have ultimately? (Wow, what happened to his piercing questions? It seems like he suddenly changed direction of his question. Maybe he felt bad for GHS? Maybe he did not want to bring out more hurt? Is that what he saw from GHS?)

Goo: --that will unite everything!

Lee: I guess it is "umchin daughter!" (hahaha)

Below 17th pic:

Goo: Just because one studies directing, does not make one become a director. To be a PD, you have to know people, you have to know the psychology of people, the nature of society, I have to treat people well, I have to know art, cosmetology (?), music. If I have to narrow everything down...it comes down to movies.

Lee: As the best actor or as the best director?

Goo: Both. Best is best. hahaha

Lee: Her multi-talents that earned her a biased name of "jack of all trade" or "poking her nose into everything",,,

Below 18th pic:

Lee: However, all her work is for one thing only--her passion for making movies. For that one dream. The ambitious actress Goo Hye Sun. I applaud her for her honest hard work.

(The last pic of them together is so cute.)

suethanks, these days when i feel down i usually open my notebook and read GHS's interviews ,,,her answers are so wise and deep, short but full of meaning, complex but inspirational.. ironically that "ULZZHANG" trademark has been a dream for someone as shallow as me haha, i feel that GHS wise words and answers are so wholeheartedly honest, its as close as touching and seeing her heart and soul..it felt weird.whenever i read her interviews I felt renewed and energized. I can feel that all of her hurts and bad experiences are just but beautiful marks that molded her to become one tough cookie and be as beautiful and free as a wild flower...GHS FIGHTING!!

Guest jandi_girl

hello everyone, i've been a silent reader of this thread for a while and i've really enjoying the updates about GHS. tis is one of my fave BTS but dont understand anyhting, i been watching this for about 10th times already, i don't know just seeing that they teasing each other makes me smile..hope someone translate it.........thanks in advance...... :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZxgkZjBlmI

Guest susAmerica

hello everyone, i've been a silent reader of this thread for a while and i've really enjoying the updates about GHS. tis is one of my fave BTS but dont understand anyhting, i been watching this for about 10th times already, i don't know just seeing that they teasing each other makes me smile..hope someone translate it.........thanks in advance...... :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZxgkZjBlmI

Hello Jandi_girl,

Welcome to the thread.

I did translate this clip in the past. But I know it is hard to find it again. I hope one day soompi thread is able to archive video clips and articles so that new people and old people can easily access them.

I will translate but not word for word. sorry.

I may not be a MINSUN but I do enjoy seeing these two people interact together. They also ALWAYS make me laugh. They are like couple of kids who have no inhibitions about fooling around and have great time doing it---at least as witnessed on the set of BOF. They are two "cho-dings"=elementary school kids.

First part: While waiting for their scene, they must have been playing some kind of game. Goo says, "wait", and Lee says "you are going to get it" several times to each other. Then they call each other types of dogs. You'd recognize the names of dogs. Goo even pretends to throw a stick and tells Lee to go and fetch. At the end of this part, I think Lee is saying it is all due to stress (maybe the stress of doing a scene that takes forever to finish?? These two really know how to relieve stress with each other--great coworkers!)

2nd part: They are playing off the script. When Goo says I cannot keep that promise as said in the drama, Lee says, what? Ok let's forget the whole thing, go away,etc.

3rd part: lee is being beaten by his actor-sister. You can tell by the mischievous Goo face that she is saying sorry to Lee for getting beaten up but she cannot hide her smiling face as if she is enjoying it.

4th part: Goo is telling Lee that he holds her like a folder while another actor that plays JaeHa holds her so securely. She says she was asked by a reporter so she said it. I think she feels guilty that she told on him. Lee is playfully upset and says, so you like the way he holds you better? He does not use honorifics when talking to her but talks to her like they are same age. He playfully tells the audience that he is upset that he is being compared to another. Then he does a scene where he is clenching her neck area. Goo complains that he was too hard on her. Lee says he could not help it because the script told him to do it harder but he was being nice. Then he shows his finger with a band aid and says he got hurt too and to have sympathy for him.

5th part: they are doing the bar scene which is one of my favorite part in BOF. They sat at the wrong part of the bar so they are laughing.

6th part: this is the scene where Yoon Ji Hoo is leaving for Paris for his first love. do you remember the scene? Lee has to stare at Goo and I think he got sort of nervous and messed up the scene. Somehow, KimHJ picked up on Lee feeling self-conscious about staring at Goo and tells Lee to hit him more if he feels uncomfortable. Isn't that sweet? Perhaps few or all of F4 had a bit of puppy crush on the more experienced actress Goo? At least that is how I took it when I first saw this BTS.

7th part: this is sort of self explanatory. Lee says he was pretending to be strong but he could not hold on. HIs hands are shaking and Goo was hitting him a bit.

8th: Lee is trying to walk tough but one of the F4 must have had his eye wide opne and staring at Lee and so Lee cracked up and NG happened.

Guest susAmerica

090724 EBS Goo Hye Sun Interview

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVs-mwOY-74

Thanks so much Sue for all of ur translation

Here are those pics in EBS interview, i tried to put those in order of ur trans ^^

and the clip of this interview in EBS, Sue can u have a look? thanks in advance as usual dear

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOi9UTqO77M

Thanks Nina and trater for the EBS clips. I really liked the clips better than the article.

GHS talked so well and was so comfortable-looking with everything she was saying about herself. It made me feel so relaxed seeing her that way.

In the clip they interviewed people on the street and some of the things people are saying are that:

---I'm so envious of her although I am trying to acknowled that everybody is different. But she is just too good at everything and on top of that she is pretty and known to have a great personality too.

---She suppose to be an ulzzang but she is doing so many things,,,(so it seems like ulzzangs don't have to do anything?)

---too smart

---omnipotent, Jack of all trade

---Greedy

---Perfectionist

----totally unexpected!

All these comments made Goo sweat and playfully nervuos--you see her fanning herself on the video.

Although she playfully says she will be the best at both acting and directing. Ultimately, as Lee figures out, Goo wants to make movies. This passion seems new and unexpected for the audience, but it has been her dream for a very long time. And she truly worked very hard on it and put everything into it. I think she feels proud of herself too. That happiness in her shows through. With her giggling and laughing in the video, I could not really feel her pain of being stereotyped as ulzzang and feeling the burden of it for so long. She admits to carring that complex inside her and feeling guilty and sorry for it. She was the first generation ulzzang, meaning that that criteria started with her and 4 other females that were selected as ulzzang.

But it was good to translate through the article with only her words so that I did not see her smiling face--I sensed her pain more through just words that she neutralized with her giggling and laughing in the video. :)

woah those were many many interviews to go through (since i have been too busy to come here) and I appreciate very much Sue, your painstaking effort to help us understand Hyesun better. Thanks all for the updates too, keeping this thread going for all HS lovers.

After going through all these interviews, I feel sad and yet proud of HS. Sad cos she has this need to justify and almost over-compensate for being an ulzzang. I think whatever that is said, that she had it easy because she's pretty and such can be put to rest by the work she has done.

But no, sadly, there are still so many detractors out there who take every chance to shoot her down...saying she's a jack of all trades, master of none. This is despite her directorial debut winning praise and getting picked up at prestigious film fests. This is despite her holding an art exhibit for charity, not for some purpose of fulfilling some narcissistic desire.

I think it's unfair when so many others strike me as shallow, banking only on their looks but do not get the harsh, undeserved criticism that HS gets.

And yet, HS here pushes on. She knows her goals and she has been smart, going about achieving them her own way.

Guess that's why she gets her fair share of fans who recognises her work. I hope she continues acting, just so we can see her. But if she chooses to pursue other passions behind the scenes, she has my support as well.

Guest misa_yen

Goo Hye Sun new pics set

b1.jpg

b2.jpg

b5.jpg

b6.jpg

b3.jpg

b4.jpg

credit as tag

do not hotlink, please

the actor's name is Jo Min Ki, play as Park Hae Jin/ Myung Hun's father in East of Eden

Sue, thanks for your hard work

I know it's really tiring to translate one stuff over and over again

you should bookmark yr translated post or find your old post in your control section

hope this can help ^^

kumovo to Nat, Minjee and Jandi_girl for your vids

bookmark and watch them later ^^

I'm sure to leave my comment as soon as I watch your fanmade MV Nat :lol:

Guest susAmerica

misa yen, :D

thank you for GHS pix with Jo Min Ki. Do you happen to know what it is for? At first, I did not recognize Jo Min Ki--I thought maybe the pix were for her new age album but can't be, right??

Also, thanks for letting me know about the control section to page mark old peices of transl.

Nisa 67 :D

thank you for posting GHS pix from the EBS interview. I am very thick headed when it comes to those things even if I get instructions.

246j3u9.jpg

2mn3nlw.jpg

idrq0p.jpg

23sf5n7.jpg

35l6jaf.jpg

b4caj9.jpg

21dexrk.jpg

9uvt53.jpg

cr: newsbank.co.kr

~dunno what this Photoshoot are for but those thumbnails on his PC screen are so gorgeous..it gave me an eery ghostly feel hehehe,~

though the images are for sportsseoul

edit:

nat oooh! those pics are outrageous but unique..thanks!

• Like 1

Thanks alote Nina and trater for the EBS clips and misa yen, thank you for GHS pix with Jo Min also many thanks to sue for all you trans pig hug to all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKyF8dlPkhs...feature=related

can any trans iwant to now what they are tooking about GHS :) :)

Brief Summary of the video- thank you wasfiyya

Basically- they are talking about stars who were the prettiest when they were young and GHS was voted to be the top one

First lady- she has the face that has not changed much since she was young EDIT: weird translation but she said that "although they say that her face has gotten smaller(refined), her face has not changed much"

Second guy- her skin is almost like it is photoshopped, she is so white

Voiceover of the reporter- her eyes were black and big and her smile is the same.

Third guy- there were always 4 guys trailing after her, looks like the F4

Voiceover- her smile is the same.

They were doing a comparison of her older sister and one of the hosts for the Happy Together program and how she looked similar to her sister. But the voiceover was saying how that was not it.

(I have read some interesting anti fans' accusations of how she had plastic surgery, how she never takes off her circle lens, etc etc but quite honestly I dont think she got anything done. If anything, she probably got her teeth straightened but is that even considered plastic surgery nowadays if it is so ubiquitous?)

Also- if she was to have gotten anything done, she would look so much more plastic looking since the work Ive seen all look the same regardless of the person. )