Wasians/Wannabe Asians.

Guest harako

Guest CitrusFlower

Don't taiwanese people use that word for cute too?

Actually Kawaii is similar to Taiwanese and Cantonese word for cute too. Taiwanese is more similar to that word then Cantonese but either way it's annoying when people shout it just to be cute to be honest even if a Japanese person shout Kawaii out of now where when theirs nothing cute it will still annoy me

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest EmpsTreenee

i think wanting to be asian is just like wanting to be a boy/girl. transexuals do it all the time, and they're getting more well accepted everyday. It's just how people are born, if they wanted to dress a certain way let them, its not be cause some other girl dresses like i do i get the right to call her stuff (like some of the people on this thread did). Seriously, asians do westernized crap all the time, and i dont see the whole continent of europe turning on them calling them copy cats. The world is just interchanging cultural facts and values. I understand people are entitled to their opinions (and i agree with the mirian case, she's too much) but i see white girls wearing japanese stuff all the time... and they're kinda cute :D :D.

btw. i'm fully asian. just feel like defending hte multiple misjudged people on this forum. if you guys (the harsh and wrong critiques) want more people to recognize us. gotta cut this copy cat crap.

Guest inny_cent

There's a difference between labelling someone as a 'wannabe' than a person who simply embraces a culture different from their own.

I have to admit, I like Korean music WAYYYYYY better than Indian music, like way better.

People should be glad that other people are interested in their culture. What's wrong with it? I think it's cool.

Guest itsahardknockgook

Interesting thread..

I guess the conclusion is that it is an unspeakable crime for a non-Asian person to speak an Asian language? Should we just all put them in jail?

Honestly speaking, other than Japanophiles in Akihabara and gaming, anime shows, there really aren't many non-Asians who are obsessed with Asian culture compared to the vast number of Asians who are adopting black or white western culture. Seriously...I think less than 0.0005% of all white/black/hispanic people in the world really care enough to try to imitate any Asian culture...the few that do are sort of strange and mavericks in both a good/bad sense. Wanna-be Korean?? Is there such a thing? I haven't even ment a single non-Asian person in my life who actually knows of even one single Korean singer or Chinese TV show.

However, what is more disturbing is that so many Asians, such as on this thread, seem to feel threatened by this tiny minority of 0.0005% of non-Asians interested in their culture. Are Asians that insecure about themselves? I am Asian, and I could care less if an Irish guy or Mexican girl says "kawaii" or "oppa". Fine with me. Making a big deal and complaining about it just makes us Asians look like we are the ones with some sort of inferiority complex.

Guest Joisushi

Ahhh!! Some of them are sooo annoying! T______T;; I had this friend that was always telling me how lucky I am that I'm Asian and how how much she wish she was Asian. =___= One time, she was like to me and my other friend (who is not asian), "guess what I did yesterday~!" and we we're guessing for like 1 minute until we gave up, and she was like "I ate sushi!!!" *turns to me* "You know sushi? The Japanese food?" We were like "...........okie..."

Don't get me wrong though. I think the ones that are interested in Asian culture are awesome! xD

i used to have a very good buddy that's white

&& she would love hanging wif me&my friends which is also her asian frends

and she wouldt mind calling herself a wasian&stuff

&& it was all cool

so i never thought of wasian in a bad way

or meet any bad way wasian or wannabe asians

and hopefully never will :D

-TEAA`

I don't mind it, unless they say "I love Asians,"

when they only like the anime --> Japanese people.

As in, "I LOVE BLEACH, INUYASHA."

I'm not saying that liking the manga is bad, but it's like.. the most obvious ones..

?

There are the ones that we are fond of, but the others that are just.. annoying.

Guest amaru

Non-asian people embracing Asian culture is prefectly fine. I even think it could be flattering to a certain degree. Take my roommate for example, hes hispanic and he loves anime, Asian food, and some Asian music. The only problem I have is with those who take it to another level and actually start believing they are Asian and deny their origins.

Guest ___♥miss.raelyn``

I think it's kind of flattering, but some people just go too far.

This girl at my school used to lie that she was half asian, when

she was full Australian and got really mad at me when I asked again. ;__;

I find it pretty cool; I mean asian people try to capture American culture either by necessity or interest =p. Learning to speak English, wearing American brands, and watching American shows/movies. Which that is pretty cool and nice.

So it's pretty cool and no bias.

Guest suetli

omg lmao, this is all so new to me, I hve never seen a wanabe asian, I think i am one haha I am asian but too westernised and trying to get back to my rroots but seriouly wow this is so funny to me.

Guest weedyasian

I used to have a friend that despretley wanted to be asian.

At school, we have a diary that we write down our homework in etc, but she would just print and paste anime pictures of series shes probably never seen, and only knows because i watch them, and buys all those cheapo looking "asian" stickers and sticks it on her diary etc

everyday i would hear.

"Oh my god. I'm meant to be the asian one! you look asian but you're not asian on the inside. I AM THE TRUE ASIAN. it was a mix up ETC."

I just wanted to punch her in the face honestly.

And when we're at the mall together, she would notice EVERY asain guy that walked pass, and then say, "How come all the asian guys look at you, just because you're asian, i look just as good, its because they're racist, why cant they see that i'm just as good as you?!?!"

And because of that, she cried every few weeks because the boy she liked was asian, but never talked to her, and i was close friends with him, so she kept going on and on about how she should be asian and the worlds not fair on her.

AJHAKJSDHJKASHD.

OH GOD. that girl sounds annoying. she reminds me of my indian friend who is trying to learn chinese and keeps liking the same asian guys as me. gosh, its annoying ! she even wants to marry an asian and live in taiwan & forget about her indian family. i find that..sad. that she has no pride in her indian-ness. T_T. but like yeah shes trying to 'out-asian' me and its really annoying. i feel your pain. O_O [altho a better word would be annoyance haha]

Guest ching0o27

I guess it really doesn't matter to me. I'm just surprised they take a lot of pride in trying to be Asian. But in actuality, it's embarrassing on their part.

Guest xTwilight

OH GOD. that girl sounds annoying. she reminds me of my indian friend who is trying to learn chinese and keeps liking the same asian guys as me. gosh, its annoying ! she even wants to marry an asian and live in taiwan & forget about her indian family. i find that..sad. that she has no pride in her indian-ness. T_T. but like yeah shes trying to 'out-asian' me and its really annoying. i feel your pain. O_O [altho a better word would be annoyance haha]

At least she doesn't go "brown pride" like those in canada.

Guest Miss Vivienne

DESU DESU DESU DESU. I have to say I'm guilty for some of it. :mellow:

I mostly use it to annoy my Mexican friends. D:

Heck. Throw in some random asian words together and their brains melt.

"DESU DESU DESU NI HAO ANNYONG KE AI KAWAII OMG OMG PHOOOO"

"OMG STOP SPEAKING ASIAN! D8"

ROFLLOL. It's like putting a high frequency sound next to a dog.

It's not like I want to be Japanese/Viet/Korean. I love being Chinese. I guess it's mostly in for the annoy factor.

Guest xTwilight

Heck. Throw in some random asian words together and their brains melt.

"DESU DESU DESU NI HAO ANNYONG KE AI KAWAII OMG OMG PHOOOO"

It's cause they've been watching too much Scary Movie desu~

The worst is when forum members have to end everything with desu~

Yes, that's right de arimasu~

Go on any anime-fanatic forum and half the members feel that they must close with famous anime speeches, degozaimasu~

Guest abviolinplayer

Seriously, some of you people here have WAY too much pride...heaven forbid someone actually takes interest in YOUR culture, never mind trying to "act" Asian. Sounds to me like an overly possessive 3-year-old with his toys or something... >>;;

Or would you rather someone ridicule you for your ethnic background or yell "ching chang chong" to your face? :rolleyes:

Archived