Wasians/Wannabe Asians.

Guest harako

Guest justxlouise

It is not only non-asian people who are wannabe's, I find those who aren't of a particular race and saying all these words from another race annoying. Example: a Chinese who is constantly saying "Ahh kawaii !". Seriously, get a life. You're not Japanese and stop acting like one. Those people are mainly interested in anime or dramas. There are other things relating to Japanese culture as well, hello ?

I also hate it when people try to act cute and doll up. Why can't people appreciate themselves for who they are instead of what they want to be? No one likes a fake. It may not be related to the topic but grrr. My friend calls me a Korean wannabe just because I like Korean music. Isn't that a bit harsh? I listen to English / Japanese songs, does that make me an English / Japanese wannabe? Rawrr .

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest xTwilight

It is not only non-asian people who are wannabe's, I find those who aren't of a particular race and saying all these words from another race annoying. Example: a Chinese who is constantly saying "Ahh kawaii !". Seriously, get a life. You're not Japanese and stop acting like one. Those people are mainly interested in anime or dramas. There are other things relating to Japanese culture as well, hello ?

Definitely. Back in high school, all these chinese kids would be like "yo dawg wat up brotha" down the hallways.

Guest che3ri0s

lmao at this thread.

There's to many of them on this thread who need to stop.

I think they need to stfu an stop trying to act cute and making those face expressions that they think are cute. Because its NOT

That goes for the asians too.

lol

Guest Keilynn

Sorry but I think they are annoying. :x

Best example for me is that girl on YouTube, mririan aka Magibon. I could punch her, really. X_x

Guest jennix2011

yeah i know a couple of wannabe asians... so annoying =_+ i dont even try that hard o.O and i AM asian. XD

i understand that they like asian stuff...but jeesh..no need to go overboard, know what i mean? =]

Guest KaoriHoshiko

@jennix2011

I know .. some people go over board.

I mean I'm asian but I'm not Korean, Japanese, or Chinese.

But yea I want to learn Japanese.. and I am learning Japanese. So I tease my friend for the heck of it.

They should be proud of what they are really.

My friend, she's cool and everything when she's NOT trying to be Asian.

When she comes over to my house and I don't have chopsticks he burst out, What Kind of Asian Are You?

Why I ought smack her to the groud..

She said she wanna get a surgery on the eyes like Asian.. I'm like get a grip! And she keeps saying that Latinos looks like Asian.. (She's Columbian)

I'm like.. NO THEY DON'T!! -__- She needs to get over herself or I'll go crazy on her.

Guest bluehuedruby

@copeland4vr

thanks for that. pretty much exactly what i wanted to say.

as i was reading this thread i got kind of nervous.. thinking stuff like "what if im like that?" i grew up in bergen county, nj, which is well known to have a huge korean population. which means i grew up eating kimchi and bulkogi at my friends' birthday parties and going to noraebang on the weekends.

if i know a lot of kpop artists or watch a lot of dramas because of where i was born.. i dont find that pathetic. or annoying. why am i interested in korea? because i am. do i still keep up with my family's italian and american traditions? yes.

i dont mean to be obnoxious. i just dont like threads like this that make it seem like i should be apologizing.

Guest dancingbymyself

I also hate it when people try to act cute and doll up. Why can't people appreciate themselves for who they are instead of what they want to be? No one likes a fake. It may not be related to the topic but grrr. My friend calls me a Korean wannabe just because I like Korean music. Isn't that a bit harsh? I listen to English / Japanese songs, does that make me an English / Japanese wannabe? Rawrr .

Don't taiwanese people use that word for cute too?

Guest rinnie_chan

In Germany there are many 'Wasian's...well, rather 'Wapanese' ? [->japanese wannabe lol]

They dress like them, tyle their hair like them, act like them and use the same vocabulary [-> kawaii, sugoiiii, baka, -kun,-chan-san etc, you know].

But actually they don't bother me at all.

I also know many asians who cannot stand those 'wasians' ...but yehh -.-

Guest KOGEPANN;)

I don't mind 'wasians' or 'wanna be asians'

I mean I'm glad that they take an interest in our culture,

I'd be happy to teach them a few things you know,

I take an interest in my indian friend's culture just as much as she does to mine, ;)

it's pretty interesting, haha.

I don't really mind them,actually. Sometimes the fashion might not suit someone,but even that it doesn't bother me.

I,myself,am asian but I grew up with a caucasian family and the caucasian culture (I'm adopted) and because of that I was

never really introduced to the asian culture until later in my life,but once I did,I really admire it.

Because of the fact that I have a caucasian family,people call me caucasian as well. I mean I kind of get where they get that from,but I don't

think it's very fair not to be recognized as your own race because of your family and their traditions. It honestly kind of hurts my feelings to not be

seen as my own race. I do get inspired by the japanese street fashion,the music,anime & manga,and other things but I still live my everyday life

with the american lifestyle,for example I do listen to american music and watch american shows.

Guest megan92

i can't remember if i ever replied in this thread

Just because someone likes anime, eats pocky, wants to learn Japanese or whatever asian language there is, or has an interest in the asian culture doesn't mean they're Wasian.

usually these things DO fit the profile of a wasian though IMO.

so many anime fans (i know, not all) are JDHTJKRHSTJKRHTW*$%&W$% I WORSHIP JAPAN. and i'm sure they are well aware they are not ethnically japanese, but boy do they still try.

since japanese is the asian i see most people try to be, i will say this also: if you like visual kei it doesn't mean it has to have an influence in your own style. nothing wrong if it does, but i've seen plenty of people go terribly wrong with the hair, make-up...body type. :ph34r::mellow:

Guest bumpngrind

Definitely. Back in high school, all these chinese kids would be like "yo dawg wat up brotha" down the hallways.

So basically you're saying that everyone should "stick to their race" so to say.

So basically Asians should wear those Vietnamese pointy rice farmer hats, only speak Asian languages, and all wear long kung-fu ponytails?

I don't see how saying "yo dawg wat up brotha" is being un-Asian.

Guest ima_robot

Lol wow.. I just looked at your myspace to see if it was true.. and wow at first I automatically thought you were asian xD :lol: haha (sorry for being stalkerish :sweatingbullets: )

LOL! its ok. o_o;; i get that a lot actually. especially "HEY ARE YOU ASIAN!?" . . . :blink:

Guest xTwilight

So basically you're saying that everyone should "stick to their race" so to say.

So basically Asians should wear those Vietnamese pointy rice farmer hats, only speak Asian languages, and all wear long kung-fu ponytails?

I don't see how saying "yo dawg wat up brotha" is being un-Asian.

Exactly.

If people saying "kawaii desu neeeeeeeee ^________^" makes them japanese-wannabe, then asians talking like the black kids on the street makes them black-wannabe.

Guest Keilynn

In Germany there are many 'Wasian's...well, rather 'Wapanese' ? [->japanese wannabe lol]

They dress like them, tyle their hair like them, act like them and use the same vocabulary [-> kawaii, sugoiiii, baka, -kun,-chan-san etc, you know].

But actually they don't bother me at all.

I also know many asians who cannot stand those 'wasians' ...but yehh -.-

Oh really? XD

I'm glad we don't have many where I live.

I only know a few and they are really dorks. Like no one wants to talk to them, haha.

Guest Genesis

Hey i read a comment on the first page that offended me. I mean, seriously.

More than haf the board fall under that? Please. thats ignorance.

I have pride in my own heritage, but I have a lot f pride in asian as well. Wth is wrong with that?

I agree with ^ the poster above me, Twilight. Do you know how many asians thee are in the Can and US of A that are so unasian, they might as well be white or black?

Theres just as many black-wannabe asians as there are Asian-wannabe other people.

Truthfully, I find it annoying too, theres a lot of those anime geeks around that like, exclaim in Japanese words. It looks really cheezy, but as shallow as it sounds, the nerdier you look and act and then say those things the more annoying and creepy it looks to the rest of us....

Either way, I'm not asian, and I can say, I dont have this huge desire to be asian or something creepy. I deal with who I am, and I dont mind being spanish, I have some ties that keep me glued down to my latin american and canadian roots and I'm cool with that. In fact, not being asian and being very connectd wth modern asian culture, language and music I feel makes me more unique, so i like that.

I like all cultures, so if people were to call me asian wannabe, theyd have to call me a black wannabe, brown wannabe, and everything, itd be so silly to say soemthing like that.

I just would take offense, because the truth is, I grew up heavily influenced by asian culture. So it is, ion a sense a part of me, without me forcing my way into it. Because even though my parent is an immigrant, he really wanted to adopt English and western culture so much, that i was never heavily influenced by my own. Instead I was influenced by my surroudings and friends, and adopted many other cultures, the main being asian. I have been interested in chinese culture since I could read books, and I remembering being facinated and studying chinese caligraphy when I was in the 3rd grade. and many of my best friends I grew up with since kinder were asian, including my first best friend who moved here from Korea. Instead of growing up with britney spears and 50 cent, I have been listening to Utada Hikaru and Shinhwa since forever, so, in this sense... it's a culture adoption partially. I do get playfully teased, that I act 'asian' but truthfully I'm not exactly sure how, I just act me, but then again Im only teased by the people who know me for a long time an know Im influenced a lot by asian culture. Most people wouldn't tell otherwise, I'm act pretty, you know american? I don't do that whole creepy japanese exclamation thing or go "kawaii~!' or anything weird. Um, I just say, 'cute?' *raises brow* Manga + anime = not me. That whole otaku thing, never flew with me. I read a lot with my chinese friend for about a year in middle school, but i grew out of it pretty quickly. I'm a more musically inclined person? The thing that keeps me connected is asian music, because it is the best kind, its not quite as artificial as american music, and as much as I hate to say it, spanish music as well. (richard simmons music is 10x worsewhen it comes to sex and drugs and repetitive beats a lot. the older stuff is the good kind, not the modern american-influenced crap....)

Whatever the case Im happy with being me. I dont need to be asian, to like asian things, and im tired of people saying that it's bad to be like me. For all those asians immersed in american cultur, for all the asian gangstas... youre adopting a black culture, go call yourselves that. In fact I've seen asian spanish-wannabes so should I be calling them annoying when they ask me things about my culture? or if they want to learn my language, honestly, should I say, 'Go find your own culture'? that hurts and I aint thinkin that way.

People shouldnt classify all non-aisians who like aisian stuff like that. Instead asian should have prid that mny other show a growing interest in their unique culture and accept it and wnat to learn more from it. To me, it is something opposite from my own, so therefore it's a life ahead of me of learning something new from when I was kid at home.

The way asians can learn and accept american cultures, other cultures can learn fromand adopt theres too. Its called globalization and its good, because we are learning to love and learn other parts of the world. I dont see the ish. >.>

Guest mazdaspeedrx8

I think it really doesn't matter whether they want to be asian or not. I mean its their choice and you really can't do anything about it because your not in control of their life. if you don't like it then just ignore it right? i'm assuming that those people that annoy you are people who are just acquaintances or somebody who you dont really know. If they were your friend would you get annoyed at them? If you are annoyed at them and they're your friend just ask them to quit acting like that or limit acting like an asian when their infront of you. i'm pertty sure if they're your real friend they'll understand right? lol

All in all if thats what they want to act like then just accept it. Besides their parents are probably annoying the crap out of them stop acting like how they act haha.

I just read an article on the BBC website yesterday about Japanes immigrants celebrating 100 years in Brazil. The article documented the ways in wchich teh cultures had an impact on each other. That's what happens when people of different cultures interact for prolonged periods of time, there is going to be a degree of adaptation and intermingling. We live in a global world and there's nothing wrong with being interested in all that the world has to offer.

I went to Stuyvesant in NY which is a predominantly white and asian high school. I got strange looks for liking alternative rock and country music over hip-hop just because I'm black. It never meant that I was trying to be white. Likewise when kids of other races listend to hip-hop or reggae it never made me think they were trying to be black. Heck the asian kids were prolific at using the word n**** when I went there and I still never thought they did not want to be asian. It's a mixed culture and it comes with its good and bad components. I don't scorn Junku for being interested enough in reggae music to pursue being the dancehall queen (many moons ago) even though she is Japanese.

Now if someone genuinely hates who they are and thinks that being from another culture would make them better somehow, then that's a bit much and they probably need help not words of hate ridicule.

As for me, I still like rock and country, but now I've added in some k-pop, indie k-music and some j-pop and j-rock. I love being black and I love being Indian. So what about the mixed babies like me. Are not allowed to appreciate both sides of who are and still choose to like something even outside of that? How very limiting life would be if I let the opinions of others stop me.

Archived