John Hughes

NaughtyDog

An amazing writer/director/producer...
John Hughes is by far my favourite writer...He's written/directed/produced a lot of my all-time favourite films. Although his new stuff isn't as good as his old, the old ones speak for themselves...Which are your favourite movies by him??

Here are some of my favourite John Hughes films: (all pictures and descriptions credited to imdb.com)

06m.jpg

Sixteen Candles

Samantha's life is going downhill fast. The fifteen-year-old has a crush on the most popular boy in school, and the geekiest boy in school has a crush on her. Her sister's getting married, and with all the excitement the rest of her family forgets her birthday! Add all this to a pair of horrendously embarrassing grandparents, a foreign exchange student named Long Duc Dong, and we have the makings of a hilarious journey into young womanhood.

26m.jpg

The Breakfast Club

When five students are thrown together by Saturday morning detention, each begins to see the others apart from their stereotypes. Andrew, the jock; Brian, the geek; John, the wastoid; Claire, the popular Prom Queen; and Allison, the psycho girl; each finds qualities about the others that make the Saturday morning change their lives.

10m.jpg

Pretty In Pink

Young Andie is one of the not-so-popular girls in high school. She usually hangs out with her friends Iona or Duckie. Duckie has always had a crush on her, but now she has met a new guy from school, Blane. He's one of the rich and popular guys but can the two worlds meet?

99m.jpg

Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Ferris is a street-wise kid who knows all the tricks. Today he decides to take the day off school. When Ferris takes the day off, so must his best friends, Cameron and Sloane. Cameron is reluctantly persuaded to borrow his father's Ferrari, and together they hatch a plan to get Sloane out of class. Suspicious dean of students Ed Rooney knows all about Ferris, but can never catch him. Ferris' sister Jeanie is also frustrated that Ferris always gets away with his tricks and she doesn't. Furthermore, Ferris is an 'angel' in his parents eyes. It's Ferris' day off, he's out to enjoy himself, and he does!.

54m.jpg

Uncle Buck

Uncle Buck has a reputation for being unreliable and a bit of a house wrecker. It is therefore with reluctance, his sister-in-law agrees to leave Buck looking after the kids (two harmless youngsters and a rebelious teenager) when she visits her sick father.

54m.jpg

Home Alone

When Kevin McCallister is accidentally left 'home alone' by his family, vacationing in France, he takes his house into his own hands and haves himself his own vacation. But his delight ends up crashing and burning when he comes into contact with two criminals, Harry and Marv, that are after his house.

94m.jpg

Beethoven

The Newton family live in their comfortable home, but there seems to something missing. This "hole" is filled by a small puppy, who walks into their home and their lives. Beethoven, as he is named, grows into a giant of a dog... a St Bernard. Doctor Varnick, the local vet has a secret and horrible sideline, which requires lots of dogs for experiments. Beethoven is on the bad doctor's list.

64m.jpg

Planes, Trains, & Automobiles

All that Neal Page wants to do is to get home for Thanksgiving. His flight has been cancelled due to bad weather, so he decides on other means of transport. As well as bad luck, Neal is blessed with the presence of Del Griffith, Shower Curtain Ring Salesman and all-around blabbermouth, who is never short of advice, conversation, bad jokes, or company. And when he decides that he is going the same direction as Neal....

26m.jpg

The Great Outdoors

Big-hearted Chicago family man Chet has brought his family to a lakeside resort area, and although his wife and kids aren't quite as excited as he is, Chet has high hopes for the vacation. However, his optimism is sabotaged when his obnoxious brother-in-law Roman drops in unexpectedly, along with his snooty, strange family. Chet and his family try to stay open-minded, but they find it difficult to relax and enjoy themselves because of the constant annoyance of Roman's presence.

He also did:

The National Lampoon series

Weird Science

Career Opportunities

Dennis The Menace

Miracle on 34th Street

and many more...

To find out more about John Hughes, you can go to http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000455/ =)

Guest Iridescence

Ahhhhhhhh! I love John Hughes. He was like.. the KING of 80's movies, I swear. So many of his movies were big hits and are still cherished today.

My favorite works by him have to be Pretty in Pink (OF COURSE! WHO COULD FORGET THE DANCE OF THE OH SOO AWESOME DUCKIE!), Sixteen Candles (the geek played by anthony michael hall, who is one of my favorite actors of today "cheers for Dead Zone"), The Breakfast Club (oooh... no words for this. it's just awesome), Ferris Bueller's Day Off (the things he does... I wish I could do what he did), Weird Science (once again! a geeky Anthony Micheal Hall character... yet older and HORNY! lmao. this movie was funny), anddddd National Lampoon's European Vacation (THE SLAP DANCE! YESSSSSS!)

I still have to see 'Some Kind of Wonderful'!

what can I say? I'm a big fan of his works. :D

Yeah... I'm more of a fan of his old works. I shall say again.. I love love LOVED his movies that came out in the 80s, which I nicely listed above! lol.

Guest VersusVillain

My favorite is Ferris Bueller's Day Off. I can never get tired of that film.

I actually haven't seen too many though. =/

Archived