[Drama 2012] Love Rain / Love Rides the Rain 사랑비

s@nbi

Guest ibtissam22

the koreans praise yoong and jgs acting the problem that the drama has less talk and narration and it's going slow

the 4 episode is in 70 and 16 episode in 2012

as for me i love the drama everything is beautiful the pd did a good job and the actors also it's hard to act awkward shy and quiet and talk with eyes than being hyper

the 2012 will be the opposite of 70

jung hana ithink it's today filming

547978028.jpg?key=640960

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Darkdragon88, I think you should continue writing about your opinion on each episode. Its refreshing to read more of other's opinion of the drama especially when its not about the ratings and the acting. I just felt that sometimes fans of the leads are a little biased towards the drama (me included) so I'm always interested to know opinions of neutral followers.

Anyway, to be honest I was a little disturbed about the low ratings, but after watching the 2 episodes and reading articles  also others' opinions, I felt that the two episodes were indeed rather slow in pace and not everyone could relate to or find it interesting because of the 70s theme.

Personal opinion, I find it rather cute when it is obvious that the two shy leads are totally into each other. Love story in the 70s werent like how it is in the 90s. haha...

Cant be helped with the ratings but I am positive that it will pick up. I just felt that maybe partly it was because of the unfamiliar seemingly new actors were used for the 70s? Or maybe I am the only who is not familiar with them other than bora, yoona and JGS.

Anyway, acting is great and shots are beautiful so I am looking forward to the next episode despite the low ratings and the 70s theme.

Hopefully more will give this drama and chance and write in their opinion about the drama.

Different countries like different things. Korea may not like the old school stories anymore but i still like it. I love the OST too.

I see people criticizing the production team saying they cast Hallyu stars. But i find it weird. JKS is a good actor and i don't see a problem with him acting in a production like this. If new actors and even idols are getting lead roles, why can't a good actor be a lead actor?

However, i would be frank to say that i don't think JKS acted very well as Seo In Ha. He mentioned about trusting the director and acting the way the director wanted the role to be. PD Yoon also highly praised him for being able to tailor his acting to what he wanted. So i would say the final product is what PD Yoon wanted. I find it weird to see a man ( Seo In Ha) so innocent. Some of the scenes are cute, but i still find it a bit unbelievable. I hope to see better acting from him when the 2 characters start dating.

As for Yoona, i have to say i see an improvement, although another actress would have done a better job. Hope to see her perform better in 2012 story.

i would say the main problem is still due to a plot that no longer appeal to the general public who wants to see a story that has a complicated story line starting from the the first episode. The general public also seems to have a problem with the cast and production thinking that this drama is only targeted at oversea viewers ( esp Japanese ) .

I hope the ratings will get better from Ep 3 onwards and i am definitely looking forward to see the 2012 story. With the addition of the veteran actors, i hope viewers will give this drama a chance. I think the story will be more interesting when the son and daughter meet and when Seo In Ha meet Kim Yoon Hee in 2012. I just hope viewers have the patient to wait for it to get better.

Darkdragon88, you definitely should continue writing your opinions on each episode. I believe everyone is welcome to share their opinions.It makes the discussion more fun.

Although Love Rain had a lot of hype even before it started it also had a lot of critics. Starting when it was announced that JGS and Yoona were the main leads.I'm obviously a Yoona stan but i was one of those who worried how will Yoona fare this time as an actress, her last drama Cinderella Man did not fare well and her acting wasn't as good as YAMD. At the back of my mind i kinda knew it wouldn't be easy for Love Rain to be a success even if we have PD Yoon and the scriptwriter. Yoona's acting like  what was said before wasn't the cringe-worthy type but she improved a lot compared to CM. I don't know what kind of acting they want to be satisfied.

I love the OST and the instrumentals too. I love the songs Changmo sings!

Maybe one of the reasons for the low ratings too would be the fact that the 70's plot is kinda predictable.We all know IH and YH wouldn't end up together instead, IH and HY got married. Hopefully, they will give Love Rain a chance since we got 18 more episodes. The ratings does not define wether the drama is good or bad. I watched dramas which were really great but did not fare well in the ratings because it wasn't the typical rom-com drama. Let's just enjoy watching Love Rain,as long as we enjoy the show the ratings isn't much of a big deal.:)

Tiffany will sing an OST for Love Rain :)

cr: oniontaker

374064_10150752916250180_376225040179_11918323_688388146_n.jpg

Love Rain ep1 w/ subs on Mysoju

http://www.mysoju.com/korean-drama/love-rain/

I heard that due to the low ratings, the story in the 70s will be cut a bit and we will get to see the 2012 characters sooner. The veteran actors (LEE MI SOOK hurray) will also appear earlier. I personally think that it's a good move that'll please the Korean public.

Guest Iviih

I don't mind the story being on the 70's, is just how slow things happens. 

For example, I love the classic a lot.  And the story is almost the same... but the classic is a movie so I think that is why I enjoyed it.

But Love rain is a drama and the story is very slow - for example, IMO, episode 1 and 2 could be done in one episode.

I watched the episode and I watched the main couple last projetcs. I think JSG can act and is good. Many people like to talk bad about Yoona's acting, but I think she is decent - just that the wrong character for her can be a disaster. I agree with people who say she doesn't have much screen presence. Her role here is very plain and dead, she is just there being pretty and pure, wish she had more emotions - hoping her future role be more alive.

I watched You are my destiny and thought she did good there - but it seems she got worse in Love rain or it's the character that is boring.

Actually I think the main couple is boring. I prefer the second characters, more fun and alive. 

JGS's character is too indecisive and immature... his friend is more straight foward and confessed already - I like him better because he is not afraid of showing his emotions - and he goes after the girl, it is not a coward. But JSG's character just stays there looking to her, and when she talks to him he says things that makes her think he doesn't like her. Poor girl.

But then the girl accepted his friend's confession - and I didn't like it because if she likes JGS's character, why accept his friends feelings? That is just going to hurt the poor guy later.

I like the weird couple too. They are cute and funny LOL .

So I think my problem is the main couple from the 70's they are too passible. I think I'll enjoy the main couple from the future better.

Guest 하나둘셋

darkdragon88, please post more, I love reading something like this ^^

It's been very long time since my last post here on Soompi.

I love this drama, I think I will still love it even if the female lead is not Yoona.

The 70's scene is really beautiful, JGS is really a good actor (I'm always a fan of his acting)

and Yoona, though she is my SNSD bias but I rmb when I watched her in YAMD and CM,

there were some parts of her I had to skip but in Love Rain...

I can say that it's worth waiting for 2 years, her acting skills really improved ^^

I'm really proud of her.

Hmm.. I don't find the main couple boring, they are just following the characters,

(how can they be fun when their part is supposed to be a pure sad love story)

actually I don't find the whole drama boring

though I do agree that it's quite slow (but it's a bit better in ep.2)

I love how every single thing in this drama related to each other,

it's not just cinematography with beautiful bgm but also is detailed.

I feel like watching a movie instead of drama which I personally really like it ^^

I usually don't care much about ratings, for me, get high ratings doesn't mean that drama is the best

there are dramas that have low ratings yet the leads own some honorable awards

so I wish Love Rain is one of those ^^

(but I think ratings will pick up a bit after 2012 era airs... who knows?)

Guest redwaveprod_cmjp

Yeah... I really don't care about the ratings.

This is an artsy type of drama. It is considered as an art.

It's like an "Indie Film". Only a few people watch Indie Films. But they are usually loved by critics and this kind of film do well in award ceremonies.

I think Yoon PD doesn't care about the ratings anymore. As Love Rain's Producer, he's already successful with that. Japan and other countries bought rights to broadcast. In terms of business, he has done fair enough.

Now, he must concentrate on his creativity as a Director. He would definitely not think about ratings if he's directing.

----------------------------------------------------------

People/critics only noticed the beauty of the yellow umbrella, the anthem scene, and other production design elements (based from korean news articles I've read)... And some failed to understand its real meaning and its role for the whole episode...

Well this is my interpretation (LOL):

EPISODE 1

----------------------------------

Yellow is a bright color and it produces a happy mood...

A scene where Inha and Yoonhee use a yellow umbrella to shelter themselves from the rain.

That's the time when Inha-Yoonhee relationship starts to be established in the drama...

#yellow umbrella | #daytime | #raining

However, Dongwook likes Yoonhee too...

When Inha and Dongwook talk inside the art room and had a small fight, a shot with a broken apple was shown.. Apple symbolizes sincerity or apology but it is also incorporated to betrayal.

#broken apple

Inha then decided to let go of his feelings for Yoonhee even though it'll hurt him.

Blue is a lonely color and it produces a gloomy atmosphere.

A scene where Inha offers his blue umbrella to Yoonhee while pretending to get over his feelings for her.

***Then Yoonhee walks alone and shelters herself from the rain using the blue umbrella while Inha watches her from the 2nd floor.

#blue umbrella | #nighttime | raining

Rain, in this case, helps in establishing the story.

***(This particular shot also explains their social status.)

----------------------------

Actually, Yoon PD said in an interview before that he is particular in using colors. Thus, Yoon's Color is his Production Company.

There are also lots of metaphors and symbolism in the drama, but I only stressed out those important yet unnoticeable parts. Other stuffs like the diary, paintings and guitars are stuffs needed to establish each character in the drama. Scenery(school,library,restaurant,bus stop) shows the 1970s setting. The over-all production design is great!

Real reason for its superb cinematography is not just because of the nice camera angles or the nice scenery. Most of the shots are metaphorical and most have meanings. It was carefully planned. I admire the cinematographer for showing what Yoon PD wants to express.

But they did not use lots of long shots. Hmmm. Maybe in the next episodes. I saw it in the teasers. Yoon PD is known for that.

However, I think there's a slight problem with the editing(I'm referring to film-editing). Some cuts are not consistent.

I'm happy that they used the narrative type of storytelling though.

As for the acting, I'm quite satisfied. Let's see on episode 3 or 4 if they are still consistent with their characters. That's the time we can fully assess their acting skills. Consistency is the key in Drama Production. I think they'll do great because the production for the 1970s scenes started earlier so it won't be hard for the actors to be consistent.

------------

I'm also a Yoona bias so I'll share what some thoughts about her acting.

I'm happy coz she definitely improved in her acting. As you can see, she's mostly using her eyes when she acts probably directed by Director Yoon. (This type of acting is usually used in films and not in drama coz it's hardly noticeable through a TV set or an LCD TV. LOL But since I'm looking closely to Yoona, I noticed it. haha)

Her character is someone who has no friends and when she talks to people especially guys, she becomes awkward.

Anyway, like I said earlier, it's too early to judge her acting (esp for me who only watched ep1 as of this moment)...

---------------

PS: Some dramas use metaphors and other symbolisms. But Yoon PD uses a lot that's why I'll make a review every episode and look for those. (LOL hahahaha) He's actually making a film each episode. Hmmm. It's such a shame that only a few watches this drama in Korea. Even though the story is kinda cliche, Love Rain shows a unique poetry that'll make your brain work.

I hope it'll have the same effects on the upcoming episodes. haha..

and I think the fun starts on the 2012 scenes.

------------

Sorry for being technical in some parts(I'm kinda studying film-making..haha).

These are all my opinions unless stated coming from articles. You can also say what you want and share some interpretations.

Wow! Cool thanks for the support. I'm glad to read opinions of others who have actually watched the drama and give reasons why or why not they like it.

So far some people say:

-They find it slow. I find a lot of the past parts of many different dramas quite slow as well, Love Rain isn't much different from those I find. I wonder if there were different 

young actors involved as the parents if people would be more forgiving with acting and slow pace? 

-That the plot is not to the general Korean population -I think this is spot on. The PD is doing an excellent job, but he's being different from the usual. But I'm super happy that he is different. This goes along with Equator Man and Fashion King as they are all made so well, too.

I like how people are finding things to like because dramas are more than acting, osts, and plot.  

-Ratings. Again, glad to see others not caring about ratings. The only real way ratings matter is if they are so low that KBS has to pull it. But there would have to be an epic fall off in ratings.

@Iviih  -the indecisiveness of In Ha is definitely a bit annoying, but it's his downfall as we know what happens later. And Yoon Hee is supposed to be a nice girl. One thing to point out is that she said later in the episode, her and Dong Wook aren't dating. Maybe she wanted to get closer to In Ha's group in general? Also Dong Wook did charm her a bit. He seems like a nice guy, for now.

I like how  you and others enjoy the secondary characters as well as they play such an important role. Too many people are focusing on Yoona and JGS, there are plenty of others in this drama.

@ redwaveprod_cmjp  -I love that you got all this information. If people actually want to re-watch the episodes, details are really nice to look out for. I 100% remember a bright yellow umbrella that is broken, a split apple, and a plain blue umbrella. I will keep an eye out for a these things because they aren't used randomly.

Love rain character chart

thanks so much for the character chart! It's funny how in the 70s it was Lee Dong Wook that liked Yoon Hee, and now in the present it's the other way around. haha. 

I can't wait until episode 3. I think the drama is fresh considering what else is playing right now. 

Love Rain ep2 w/ subs

Link 1(only available in America)http://www.dramafeve...Love_Rain/?ap=1

And for those who live elsewhere it should be out shortly on those websites:

http://www.mysoju.co...rama/love-rain/

http://www.dramacraz...rama/love-rain/

http://www.kimchidramas.net/

smile.gif 

Very complete and fair recap of episode 1: http://www.dramabeans.com/2012/03/love-rain-episode-1/

Guest sapphirevip

wow that was so in depth darkdragon88! but i was so glad to see it and the other opinions on here too. I have to say i was extremely sad last night after reading some comments about love rain because i just couldnt get why people were being so negative, i thought the first episode was really good! and I guess i was looking forward to this so much and assumed everyone would love it. But today I realised, screw the ratings and articles, i love it and that's enough haha.

I agree with all of you guys but as i havent seen either of the episodes with eng subs, i'll probably write more afterwards, see you all then!

and the comments on dramafever are generally good, that made me so happy too :D

I am so sad for JGS. He deserves to play in a big drama with high ratings. Dont get me wrong, this is a BIG drama but I just dont know why he is so unlucky with his ratings. I mean he is a very good actor, but maybe its because he thinks too much of himself? :P I like him a lot, and I hope to see him act in a drama which is gonna make him so populair as an actor. I will wait for this show until its finished and then I will watch it with subs.

Miss JGS and PSH in YAB :P

Have fun watching this series! I will cross my fingers for higher ratings and will wait impatiently for this show. Just hope a wonder will happen and ratings will increase...

Does anybody else watch Kpop ultimate survival? Its kinda the same as YAB where JGS acted in but here the girl is a kickass tomboy:P 

Anyway I will still read your posts cuz its interesting how u think of this drama. I personally like everything which is either too modern or either too classic, Glad to know this show has a combi of both :) 

@redraveprod_cmjp wow! Thanks for the detailed explanation. definitely made it more interesting and like someone else mentioned, made love rain more unique because the PD's work sounds more detailed and unique as compared to others.

Hope to read more of yours, darkdragon88's and others posts about the drama.

I'm glad to read a good review from dramabeans considering how negative their previous posts were before the airing. Hopefully their future reviews will get more positive in terms of the drama plot and  leads' acting. It is rather difficutl to relate to inha's and yoonhee's character because its set in the 70s, so back then shy and quiet girls should be extremely shy and quiet so they speak with their eyes and facial expression ha-ha and inha may be representing majority of the boys to not be confident in confessing his love for yoonhee and to fight for it.

Love Rain's ratings in Korea are really low.

But being hallyu stars, its popularity can never be denied!

Just 2 episodes released, now currently at

#265 of 2031at Dramacrazy Ranking

#8 on Hancinema's Most Wanted

#1 Most popular in dramafever

Love Rain Fighting! wub.gif

darkdragon88 please keep up the writing!

I love this drama! I have never watched this PD's work but I actually love the slower pace he has set. I'm enjoying watching JGS and Yoona, they are so sweet and oh so innocent.

Thank you and I will keep a lookout for your post.

Archived