[Movie 2012] Gwanghae, The Man Who Became King 광해:왕이된 남자 Masquerade

rubie

October 2, 2012
Source: Nate ++
201210020957383010_1.jpg
Lee Byung Hun Garners Praise by 'Los Angeles Times'
CJ E&M enewsWorld Lee, JinHo  Translation Credit: Erika Kim  
Lee Byung Hun was given great coverage by the Los Angeles Times.
The Los Angeles Times issued an interview it held with Lee Byung Hun under the headline ′South Korean movie star shines in L.A.′ on September 29 (Local time). The article was given much weight, even being posted on the main page of the online paper′s entertainment section.
The article said, ′[...] Lee [byung Hun] turns toward his translator and as he talks to her in his native Korean, his demeanor changes entirely. His voice grows deep and strong, he sits up straight and his eyes take on a commanding glow′ and that ′suddenly it makes sense that Lee [byung Hun] is called South Korea′s Brad Pitt.′
It then added, ′It′s a comparison invited by his smoldering good looks, easygoing charm and mega-star status at home.′
Lee Byung Hun recently lived up to his name in Korea yet again through the film Masquerade, which brought in over 5 million moviegoers. He has been extending his influence overseas, staying in Canada to shoot the Hollywood film Red 2.
Robert Abele, a critic for the Los Angeles Times, said about Lee Byung Hun′s acting that "he was like the main conductor leading the film."
Lee Byung Hun expressed through his interview how he felt about having to be in America while his film made its first premiere in Korea, along with his love and thanks for his audience. 
He also talked about the hand printing event he attended in June at the Grauman′s Chinese Theatre, and about his next piece, Red 2, which also stars Brad Pitt Bruce Willis and Anthony Hopkins.

• Replies 974
  • Created
  • Last Reply

today, ticket has been reserved for 95,329 attendance.. will Gwanghae surpassed 7M viewers??

according to official Atlanta Korean Festival 2012, Gwanghae screening schedule:

Rialto Center for the Arts
   -- Friday, October 5, 2012 | 5:30 PM

for information screening schedule another movie, please check http://www.koreanfilmfestival.net/schedule.html :)

Gwanghae will be screening at Abu Dhabi Film Festival 2012  October 11-20 2012

Gwanghae schedule screening:
Emirates Palace
10/16/2012 | 9:30 PM

For ticketing and location, please check Abu Dhabi Film Festival 2012 official site

September 3, 2012
2012 Yearly Box Office
This was just posted at KOFIC but the numbers will change very soon.. between 'Masquerade' and 'The Avengers'.. if everything goes well, it'll be going over 7 million admission today. 'The Thieves' on the other hand is now South Korea's all-time top grossing box-office movie with 13 million admission, just taken over 'The Host' (2006), breaking a 6-year record. 'The Thieves' is still showing in cinemas in Korea since July, no reason 'Masquerade' not achieving even better result. Fighting!
Source: KOFIC
2012_yearlybo_1.jpg

September 21, 2012
Box office, September 1-15by Darcy Paquet KOFIC In the first half of September, Korean cinema continued its recent run of strength at the box office, with local features accounting for six of the top eight grossing films. Heading the pack was Traffickers, a grisly thriller about organ trafficking that took 1.15 million admissions over the time period in question. Starring IM Chang-jung, CHOI Daniel, OH Dal-soo, MIN Hyo-lin and new actress JO Yun-hee, the film features a hard-hitting storyline inspired partly by real-life press reports about illegal organ deals gone wrong. Despite the film's dark subject matter, it has taken over 1.5 million admissions since its August 29 release.
The Korean film Masquerade may rank only at #3 in this chart with 860,000+ admissions, but that is because it was released only on September 13. Without question, this is the major commercial release of the month, and given its strong performance in its first few days on release, it is expected to become one of the top-selling films of the year. Starring LEE Byung-hun in a dual role as the Joseon Dynasty king Gwang-hae and a jester recruited to serve as his body double, Masquerade has drawn praise for its accomplished acting, sure-handed direction, ambitious scale and commercial appeal. The response from mainstream viewers has been rapturous, with the film scoring 9.27 points out of 10 in viewer ratings at portal site Naver.
The #4 to #6 slots are taken up by Korean hit films released in July and August that are still hanging on at the box office. The Neighbor, a comic book adaptation about a series of murders that take place within a rundown apartment complex, sold 800,000 tickets in September and has taken 2.5 million admissions overall to date. The ensemble piece was directed by screenwriter-turned-director KIM Hwi. At #5, period comedy The Grand Heist starring CHA Tae-hyun continued to add to its totals with an additional 525,000 tickets in September. In total it has taken 4.9 million admissions since August 8.
Meanwhile, CHOI Dong-hoon’s smash hit The Thieves has been inching closer to the all-time box office record for Korean films, currently held by BONG Joon-ho’s The Host (2006) with 13.02 million admissions. With a further 520,000 tickets sold in September, The Thieves currently stands at 12.9 million admissions, but it is rapidly losing momentum. With Avatar’s all-time record of 13.3 million admissions seemingly out of reach, attention is now turning to whether or not it will finally eclipse The Host's totals.
The film at #8 is an unusual case. KIM Ki-duk’s Pieta opened on September 6 to modest commercial returns of 8,672 admissions, however the announcement in the dawn hours of September 9 that the film had won Venice’s Golden Lion award -- Korea's most prestigious festival prize ever -- give the film a box office boost. In the coming week, widespread media coverage helped motivate more and more curious viewers to watch the film, and Pieta gradually rose in box office rankings (on September 12, the day before Masquerade was released, it was at #2). Although the film divided audiences, most viewers were highly enthusiastic about the work, and so it further benefited from positive word-of-mouth. To date the film has passed its break-even point, and continues to perform well.
Among foreign releases, The Bourne Legacy -- which includes a few scenes shot in Seoul's Gangnam district -- performed strongest with 866,000 admissions in its first 10 days. Sylvester Stallone's The Expendables 2 took somewhat disappointing returns of 396,000 tickets, and Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter also failed to impress with 244,000 admissions in September and 344,000 tickets overall. Resident Evil 5, released on September 13, had a decent but not spectacular opening that pushed it onto the top 10 list.

Lots of cool news today, too! congrats.gif Gwanghae !!!
October 3, 2012
'Masquerade' Exceeded 7 Million Admission, Lee Byung Hun's Best Record at the Box Office!
Source: Nate ++
광해, 왕이 된 남자 ‏@newking_2012
감사합니다! 관객분들의 성원에 영화 <광해, 왕이 된 남자>가 700만명을 돌파했답니다! 어제 600만 돌파에 이어 하루만에 또다시 스코어 경신! 여기에 4주 연속 전 예매사이트 1위의 대기록까지 축하해주세요! http://twitter.yfrog.com/z/kl7xsoij
Thank you! Gwanghae the movie has surpassed 7 million audience today. Another renewed score after yesterday 6,000,000 achievement! Four consecutive weeks at # 1 ticketing site making the remarkable record of the celebration. Fighting!
20121003_masquerade.jpg

October 3, 2012
[interview] Han Hyo Joo Says Lee Byung Hun was the Best Actor She's Met
CJ E&M enewsWorld Lee, JinHo  Translation Credit: Erika Kim 
Lee Seung Gi, So Ji Sub, Jung Woo Sung, Sul Kyung Gu and Lee Byung Hun. These are some of the actors who have acted with the actress Han Hyo Joo. As can be seen in this list, Han Hyo Joo has acted with some of the best, and most good-looking, actors of the time.
The results SBS′ Shining Inheritance and the films Always and Masquerade have garnered prove her worth. She′s an actress who knows how to help her partner shine, and this helped her pile up on an unbelievable career at age 25.
Last year she had her audience crying with Always, and this time, she′s off on another period piece challenge with one of Korea′s most skilled actors, Lee Byung Hun, through the film Masquerade. How would she think about her acting and her career? Enews met with Han Hyo Joo to find some answers.
16513002.jpg
Han Hyo Joo Up Close
One hour was such a short time to get to know this person. During the short interview, I got to meet two Han Hyo Joos; the actress and the person. The two were completely different.
For the first 40 minutes or so she was a sharp actress with seven years under her belt, while in the remaining time she was a little sister who has her own worries and complaints.
She hadn′t endured seven years in showbiz for nothing. She said, however, that she′s usually brighter and more cheerful than others may think. She had to hide her cheerfulness because of her fragile heart. She was worried her actions or her words would be twisted to hurt others.
When told she didn′t smile much just like she is in her movies, she smiled brightly to disprove the statement, saying, "I do smile a lot." The smile made her look like the 25 year old girl she was rarely taken to be.
Around this time last year ′Always′ premiered. It was the opening piece for the ′Busan International Film Festival′ (′BIFF′) last year too, and ′BIFF′ is coming around again this year. It must remind you a lot of those times.
"Since the weather has become colder and the wind has started to blow, I′m reminded a lot of how it was back then. It was a meaningful piece for me. I was able to drink with a lot of great people, and it was great.... I don′t think I′ll make it [to BIFF] this year because of my schedules, though."
Your barefaced acting in ′Masquerade′ has been making issues. Did you ever have to do something like that before?
"I′ve been in scenes with no makeup on. I feel burdened when I have thick makeup on, so I rarely put on makeup outside of my pieces. It feels like my original self is being covered up (Laugh). That′s why when I put on thick makeup for photo spreads or press conferences, I′m awed and it feels funny."
How does it feel to watch your film?
"It′s hard for me to give objective reviews. Still, it′s fun. I personally laughed a lot watching it."
What was the most impressive scene?
"The scene where I ran around holding hands with [Lee] Byung Hun sunbae (senior) was the most impressive. My heart fluttered at the sight of the two of us holding hands nicely and running with music playing in the background. When we were shooting it, we had to run for a long time so I was tired, but it felt great to see what a nice scene it turned out to be."
16513004.jpg
We can′t avoid touching on your work with Lee Byung Hun.
"He′s a praiseworthy actor. He′s a great actor, the best actor. He′s a sunbae that can have all the titles he wants. It was the first time I met such an actor in my acting career. I could see how immersed he was in his act. It was great."
Just what about him left the biggest impression on you?
"He touched me as a junior and as an actor when I saw him lead the scene as the lead actor. His voice, too (Laugh). His voice in commercials is memorable."
You′re said to be one of the few actresses who fits in both period pieces and more modern settings. Which do you think fits yourself the most?
"I don′t know.... They all have their own charms, so it′s hard to choose just one. Modern pieces are comfortable to move around in, but period pieces help actresses look more beautiful. At first when I was in a period piece I was criticized because I didn′t fit in. I think I′ve been getting good reviews because everyone′s gotten used to seeing me. (Laugh)"
You′re only 25 years old. You′ve been in many pieces, but do you still have any other pieces you would like to try?
"I′ve worked hard (Laugh). Still, I′ve never gotten to act in trendy dramas like I Need a Romance or Coffee Prince. I want to try those types."
You′ve had great fortune in your selection of partners. Which actor fit you the most?
"I don′t really like evaluating others. I just think I was lucky as an actress to have such partners. (Laugh) I cherish the new ties I gain when I get to know a good person, and those ties then lead to more ties; it′s like one leads to three, and those three lead to six."
It seems you would really be strict.
"I′m not. I′m very delicate. I debuted at such an early age, and I′ve been hurt by the ways my words and actions have been twisted to mean other things. I think that′s led me to be more passive and timid. I′m hurt easily. I′m actually pretty bright and prone to laughter."
It seems ′Masquerade′ will be another turning point for Han Hyo Joo. Is there anything you would like to add?
"I starred in the film, but I think objectively it′ll be a fun film. I believe it′ll be one that leaves a definite message too. It′s a piece that will show me in a new light. I hope you watch on to see how I mature as an actress, and I hope you continue to show me your love."
Photo credit: Hea Jung Min

@rubie. thanks you so much for the article and all updates about gwanghae movie.. :)

Until Oct 3rd Gwanghae surpassed 7.22M viewers.. WOW DAEBAK
cr: KOBIS

go.. go.. go full speed Gwanghae.. wish in this weekend can surpassed 8M viewers

Check out this Entertainment Weekly clip with great English subs posted by KBS World. Awesome wonderful clip, BH and RSR really have such great chemistry together.. maybe they could collaborate again in another movie. Love the last part when they laughed together.. such mischievous boys laughing.gif
[star Date] Lee Byung-hun & Ryu Seung-ryong - Actors of undeniable Charisma!

Sendspace
stardate_lbh_rsr3.jpg

October 3, 2012
Lee Byung Hun Sets Personal Best Record for "Gwanghae"
jnkm soompi.com
Lee Byung Hun‘s recent film “Gwanghae: The Man Who Became King” is enjoying great success as it has passed the 7 million viewer mark.
According to the film distribution company, CJ E&M, “Gwanghae” has surpassed the 7 million viewership number on the afternoon of October 3.
“Gwanghae” has reached this milestone in a mere 21 days since its release. This is 13 days faster than the previous hit film, “The King and the Clown,” which took 34 days to reach 7 million viewers. This is also 25 days faster than last year’s most successful film, “War of the Arrows.”
During the Chuseok holiday, “Gwanghae” attracted about 1,820,000 viewers. Yesterday, October 2, which is not a holiday, around 670,000 viewers went to watch the film.
This is a personal best for the film’s leading man, Lee Byung Hun. Before “Gwanghae,” Lee Byung Hun’s most successful film was “The Good, The Bad, The Weird” in 2008, which recorded a total of 6,680,000 viewers. “Gwanghae” was Lee Byung Hun’s first sageuk, or historical film and played two different roles, which made him receive acclaim for his acting skills.
Meanwhile, Lee Byung Hun will attend the 17th Busan International Film Festival on October 4 with director Choo Chang Min to hold an open talk with fans about the film.

October 4, 2012
Lee Byung Hun's 'Masquerade' to Premiere in Japan in February
Nate l CJ E&M enewsWorld Stewart Ho 
After attracting more than 7 million-goers in Korea, Masquerade is looking to attract viewers in Japan next year.
Come February of next year, Lee Byung Hun’s Masquerade will premiere nationwide in Japan. Set to release in Japan under the title, The Man Who Became King, the movie will tell the fictitious story of how one man came to temporarily replace King Gwang Hae for 15 days. 
27324813.jpg
Masquerade was released in Korea on September 13 and has already surpassed the 7 million viewer mark in three weeks as of October 3.
Photo Credit: Mersenne Entertainment

October 5, 2012
A new record is put into Lee Byung-hun's filmography
Viewers of Masquerade outnumbered 7 million in 21 days by Jang Sung-ran KOFIC
Byunghun1.jpgMasquerade has attracted over 7 million moviegoers to theater by October 3rd. This record was made the day after it had sold 6 million tickets and 21 days after it was released. It was possible because the film dominated screens during the Chuseok holidays and the National foundation Day of Korea. This is 13 days faster than King And The Clown, which sold 7 million tickets in 34 days and 12.3 million in the end, and 25 days faster than War of the Arrows, a historical fim that was the biggest hit in 2011. What is most meaningful with this accomplishment is that it has been screen during September, which is regarded a low season, while King And The Clown and War of the Arrows were run during vacation when theaters are most crowded through the entire year.
Masquerade renewed Lee Byung-hun’s filmography. Among previous films he acted in, The Good, The Bad, And The Weird, which gathered 6,680,000 viewers in 2008, was the biggest hit.
CJ Entertainment Japan is preparing for nationwide release of Masquerade in Japan in February next year.

October 5, 2012
Live blog excerpt and captures from 
BIFF Starroad Blue Carpet Live Stream/Blog (video currently on-going online)
http://enewsworld.mnet.com/enews/contents.asp?idx=16738&idxType=News
by Elizabeth Eun | Grace Danbi Hong  
20121005apan_2.jpg
AF [10:16 KST]: The KING has arrived
GH [10:15 KST]: and he′s wearing....a black...fur....jacket....
GH [10:16 KST]: Oh man.. those fans REALLY wanted a piece of Lee Byung Hun
GH [10:16 KST]: Ryu Seung Ryong is also there with Lee Byung Hun 
20121005apan_3.jpg
AF [10:17 KST]: Lee Byung Hun Walking, Waving, Greeting, Posing, Wearing a a fur suit like a King
GH [10:17 KST]: The Royal Couple? haha
GH [10:17 KST]: I love Ryu Seung Ryong. He′s so funny
AF [10:18 KST]: They look great together, in a funny way
GH [10:17 KST]: Remind me to go watch the Masquerade 
AF [10:18 KST]: Let′s go after the blue carpet is over
20121005apan_4.jpg
20121005apan_7.jpg
GH [10:18 KST]:The cameras even love Lee Byung Hun
GH [10:19 KST]: Let us see his face!
AF [10:20 KST]: Everybody wants a piece of Lee Byung Hun
EE [10:20 KST]: He′s like the movie world′s PSY
20121005apan_5.jpg
20121005apan_6.jpg
GH [10:22 KST]: Lee Byung Hun and Ryu Seung Ryong getting interviewed
GH [10:22 KST]: The interviewer asked for a hug. Will she get it..... 
EE [10:22 KST]: Yes! He obliges
GH [10:22 KST]: Yes....green with envy
GH [10:22 KST]: Lee Byung Hun says, " I never expected [Gwanghae] to be this popular."
AF [10:23 KST]: The interviewer seems to be so excited to talk to Lee Byung Hun she can′t even look him in the eyes. So cute! 
GH [10:24 KST]: Lee Byung Hun′s using his Masquerade King voice
GH [10:25 KST]: SEXY!
GH [10:25 KST]:What does Ryu Seung Ryong think about Lee Byung Hun?
GH [10:25 KST]: He says, "Lee Byung Hun is a jewel."
GH [10:25 KST]: Lee Byung Hun says, "Ryu Seung Ryong′s acting is so impressive."
EE [10:25 KST]: Wow could this bromance get any cuter?
20121005apan_8.jpg

Archived