[Drama 2012] The Moon that Embraces the Sun 해를 품은 달

Guest yeohweping

^ I actually symphatise a bit with the Bokyung character... Why? Her father expects a lot from her... but she can't deliver because there's another girl who gets everything without even trying.

@raiven, if they go by the novel, Hwon will definitely not be a plain cold, heartless person. have you read the translation at blue's blog?

this is one except that breaks my heart. 

“It’s not a name that you should remember, Your Majesty. It is not a name you should mention. To recall the name of my sister who is no longer of this world, buried deep in the cold ground…” 

As Hwon takes a sip of the liquor, his lips shake.

“Nothing is crueler to me than telling me to forget that name. Miss Yeonwoo was my betrothed. My one and only betrothed.”

cr: http://belectricgrou...-sun-chapter-5/ 

i'm sure people who root for Hwon and Yeonwoo now will continue to feel for these two and root for them. 

in the novel, Bok Young doesnt seem like a plain evil character. in this drama, she indeed started very one dimensional, but the story started to show why she become like that. and in the novel, hwon married her but never touch her. if they keep that in the drama, i'm sure there'll be a human side to her that they will show.

Sorry guys I don't mean to intrude in the discussion but I haven't watched k-dramas for a while and was wondering which group does the softsubs for this drama? I remember in the past WITHS2 used to sub quality dramas such as this one but they don't seem to have it listed as one of their projects.

Guest flowerboyramyunshop_FB

yey another set of photos :

there's a so -called drama withdrawal syndrome, but i guess it's a way too bit early for the young casts, that is ... ^_^

375489_169226016516804_152170751555664_222938_248055410_n.jpg

THE ROOKIES : :D

394746_169253716514034_152170751555664_222968_199957800_n.jpg

these i find adorable. no pressure in acting, they are having fun !

401265_169254269847312_152170751555664_222974_1411922931_n.jpg

387806_169254159847323_152170751555664_222973_744559164_n.jpg

166920_169254023180670_152170751555664_222971_1041084031_n.jpg

390165_169253963180676_152170751555664_222970_1070740435_n.jpg

388219_169253853180687_152170751555664_222969_980741466_n.jpg

398071_169253643180708_152170751555664_222967_1765341318_n.jpg

Yeom and Seol. :wub:

389894_169231076516298_152170751555664_222946_192034035_n.jpg

@kobe23  , darksmurf is subbing this drama. ^^

ETA : SOME INTERESTING ARTICLES about the drama's flaws :w00t:

FLAWS DETECTED AGAIN IN THE SUN AND MOON BY ENEWSWORLD

A Few Flaws Can’t Stop The Sun and The Moon’s Smooth Sailing by enewsworld

Morning post~~~

leemin.jpg

Lee Min Ho who is starring in The Moon that Embraces the Sun (The Sun and the Moon) delivered his thought on the debarkation.On January 14th, 2012, Lee Min Ho tweeted on Twitter, “Today is the last day of filming for The Moon that Embraces the Sun… Somehow I feel very subtle… it feel so unreal.. happy and reluctant to part.. oh, please hang on to the live telecast until the last, adult Yang Myung will take over and continue filming!”

At the same time, Lee Min Ho did not forget to send regards to the suffering staffs. “Brother… why only today you’re at another team… ㅠ ㅠ today I will get off… Really suffers a lot ㅠ ㅠ in future goes to drink together with brother keke, because age has grown bigger kekeke ㅠ ㅠ ㅠ sad ah ㅠ ㅠ ㅠ.”

Lee Min Ho is playing the role of Yang Myung in The Moon that Embraces the Sun. And he even becomes the national flower boys gang of four together with Yeo Jin Goo, Lim Si Wan, and Lee Won Geum, receiving attention. As such, viewers have requesting to add the share of child actors appearance, but they will still leave the drama after episode 6.

Besides, starting from episode 7 on January 27th, 2012, Kim Soo Hyun, Jung Il Woo, Han Ga In, Kim Min Seo, Nam Bo Ra and others will take over from young actors, continuing the popularity of The Moon that Embraces the Sun.

source: Daum via asian-drama.org @DramaAsian

cutscene5.jpg

cutscene4.jpg

cutscene3.jpg

cutscene2.jpg

cutscene1.jpg

cutscene.jpg

Thanks for all the goodies unnies!

I just finished watching ep 3 with sub. The scene between the King and YM is so heartbreaking. We can see and feel how much the king loves YM, that he longs for him but he can't freely show it as he is afraid for YM's life. He is aware of what his mother is capable of. I shed a buckets of tear when the king say " I only told you to be careful when coming into palace. I never told you to completely never come." YM may not be the son of the Queen but nonetheless he is his son. He is his first born. It so happen that it is the King's way to protect his son. I hope to see them showing their love for each other freely.

Off topic: I've watched Sunny and Nam Bo Ra is one of the cast. Wow! I know that she looks like a teenager but I never thought that she can really looks like an elementary or middle school girl!

BTW did HGI starts filming? Why there's no pics of her yet? I am excited to see her, KSH and JIW! :wub::wub:

Guest dramaok

i think if ppl are not drawn to the Hwon and Yeonwoo loveline from the drama,

it is because they altered the story so that the two meet face to face.

i think it complicated their otherwise very pure and magical love.

Hwon is actually quite self-conscious and he even spends hours looking for the right poem and spends another few hours,

just to perfect his writing so they look as perfect as can be. Yeonwoo is also rather bold and responds to his poem w/ another poem,

that assures him she shares his sentiment. it's very witty and very magical.

it starts out as curiosity and then impressed sentiment and consolation of soul and love and yearning for the other.

i regret that they went the more conventional sageuk route in this,

but at the same time i get it too. the book allows more pensive sentiments to come through,

as you read the thoughts of the characters but that is harder to show on screen.

ppl will be bored if all we do is listen to narrations of thoughts.

The scene between the King and YM is so heartbreaking. We can see and feel how much the king loves YM, that he longs for him but he can't freely show it as he is afraid for YM's life. He is aware of what his mother is capable of. I shed a buckets of tear when the king say " I only told you to be careful when coming into palace. I never told you to completely never come." YM may not be the son of the Queen but nonetheless he is his son. He is his first born. It so happen that it is the King's way to protect his son. I hope to see them showing their love for each other freely.

in the book prince YM and the king's relationship is what broke my heart completely.

i can see that in the drama, prince YM and Yeonwoo's relationship is not as subtle as in the book.

actually prince YM is not really a formidable love rival of Hwon when it comes to Yeonwoo.

Hwon was always the one and only for her and she made her stance very clear to YM the night he asked her to flee w/ her.

but prince YM, though not as prominent a character in the book, his valor and tender-heart comes through fully.

in the end, it was not yeonwoo he thought of, but in the end, he thought of his father.

when he rescued Hwon and Hwon called him 'brother'... YM speaks to his deceased father,

"i am your son's brother, may i also call you father now?"

it shattered me.

also, Woon has a very precious love of his own. but it was unrequited and i don't think it was even expressed as i recall.

though i can't remember 100% since i actually read it a long time ago through a borrowed copy.

Woon plays a definite role in bringing Wol and Hwon together after the years.

as you know, in the book, Hwon never met Wol as Yeonwoo so he doesn't know what she looks like.

However, Woon does.

and also, Woon broke my heart too, during a scene, when Wol consoles someone, Woon watches and her gesture of consoling another,

it gave him consolation as well, vicariously, for his aching heart. it broke my heart that he asks so little from everyone. he asks for nothing.

i think if ppl are not drawn to the Hwon and Yeonwoo loveline from the drama,

it is because they altered the story so that the two meet face to face.

i think it complicated their otherwise very pure and magical love.

Hwon is actually quite self-conscious and he even spends hours looking for the right poem and spends another few hours,

just to perfect his writing so they look as perfect as can be. Yeonwoo is also rather bold and responds to his poem w/ another poem,

that assures him she shares his sentiment. it's very witty and very magical.

it starts out as curiosity and then impressed sentiment and consolation of soul and love and yearning for the other.

i regret that they went the more conventional sageuk route in this,

but at the same time i get it too. the book allows more pensive sentiments to come through,

as you read the thoughts of the characters but that is harder to show on screen.

ppl will be bored if all we do is listen to narrations of thoughts.

in the book prince YM and the king's relationship is what broke my heart completely.

i can see that in the drama, prince YM and Yeonwoo's relationship is not as subtle as in the book.

actually prince YM is not really a formidable love rival of Hwon when it comes to Yeonwoo.

Hwon was always the one and only for her and she made her stance very clear to YM the night he asked her to flee w/ her.

but prince YM, though not as prominent a character in the book, his valor and tender-heart comes through fully.

in the end, it was not yeonwoo he thought of, but in the end, he thought of his father.

when he rescued Hwon and Hwon called him 'brother'... YM speaks to his deceased father,

"i am your son's brother, may i also call you father now?"

it shattered me.

also, Woon has a very precious love of his own. but it was unrequited and i don't think it was even expressed as i recalled.

Woon plays a definitely role in bringing Wol and Hwon together after the years.

and also, Woon broke my heart too, during a scene, when Wol consoles someone, Woon watches and her gesture of consoling another,

it gave him consolation as well, vicariously, for his aching heart. it broke my heart that he asks so little from everyone. he asks for nothing.

Thank you so much Dramaok! It's really good to have you here to give us insights about the novel!

BTW, I just want to ask, I've seen in Blue's translation that Wol has been staying with Hwon as an amulet for a month but he never really sees her or know that she has been with him all along, so when they really see each other again???? And when did Wol regains her memory? Dying of curiousity here..... Thanks in advance!

Guest DeadSmile

waaaa i rly like the young guy that plays lee hwon! he's not handsome but he gives off a feeling of protection <3. can't wait to see episode 4 tomorrow

aja aja Yeo Jin Goo

Guest dramaok

Thank you so much Dramaok! It's really good to have you here to give us insights about the novel!

BTW, I just want to ask, I've seen in Blue's translation that Wol has been staying with Hwon as an amulet for a month but he never really sees her or know that she has been with him all along, so when they really see each other again???? And when did Wol regains her memory? Dying of curiousity here..... Thanks in advance!

on the last day of the amulet treatment, when Wol is scheduled to leave the palace, Woon subtly tells Hwon not to drink the herbal tea he's been drinking (since it has laxative to put him out). so Hwon pretends like he drank it but he coughed it out and so he was awake when the human amulet (Wol) come and when she is about to leave, he grabs her. he does not know what Yeonwoo look like but he feels the pull and he remembers her as the woman he encountered outside the village, the woman he named Wol because she claimed she had no name. then he keeps her at the palace. lol. Hwon is very manly actually he grabs what he wants and keeps it. hahaha

anyways, in the book, Yeonwoo just never mentions her past life. she does not actually lose memory. so i don't know what they'll do w/ that.

on the last day of the amulet treatment, when Wol is scheduled to leave the palace, Woon subtly tells Hwon not to drink the herbal tea he's been drinking (since it has laxative to put him out). so Hwon pretends like he drank it but he coughed it out and so he was awake when the human amulet (Wol) come and when she is about to leave, he grabs her. he does not know what Yeonwoo look like but he feels the pull and he remembers her as the woman he encountered outside the village, the woman he named Wol because she claimed she had no name. then he keeps her at the palace. lol. Hwon is very manly actually he grabs what he wants and keeps it. hahaha

anyways, in the book, Yeonwoo just never mentions her past life. she does not actually lose memory. so i don't know what they'll do w/ that.

Oh, interesting! So in the book Yeon Woo doesn't lose her memory? She just never talks about her past...does she ever reveal to Hwon, Woon or Myung who she is in the book when they meet again? I can see why they might change it for the drama then because that's SORT of not believable. (that she would never say anything - unless she believes her life might be in danger again if it's revealed who she is) 

I love hearing about the book so thank you so much dramaok! wub.gif

Dramaok, DAEBAK! Hheheheh! w00t.gifw00t.gif

Can't wait for this scene to come! Thanks for all the spoilers!!!

What I like most about Hwon is that, he acts like a child yet when it comes to politics and issues of love, we can see how mature he is and he really fights for what he believes and what he wants.

BTW, I really have a soft heart for Ahn Nae Sang and I think of him as the next Ahn Sung Ki.

@alexus: Thanks for the kind thought! I'll be sure to look for your advice to see if these episodes are ones I should watch when I'm alone or not! 

Honestly, even though my heart aches for YM, I don't really "ship" him with YW. I think Hwon and YW are a pretty solid OTP with the whole fate/destiny thing going for them. My empathy for him isn't about wanting him to get the girl, as much as it is wanting him to be happy and feel loved. 

So far, it's been easier to empathize with YM because he's the one that 's been suffering up to this point. I'm sure that will change as the story progresses into the more tragic aspects of Hwon and YW's romance, and we move on with the adult cast. Instead of the rather innocent and naive young prince in the throes of first love, we'll get a brooding KSH as a King trapped in a loveless marriage mourning the loss of that love, and then falling hard for Wol. That's bound to make more than a few hearts flutter! blush.gif I have no doubt KSH is up to the task, and that JIW will keep grown up YM tugging at our heartstrings! 

@raiven: I agree with you about BK. It would be nice to see her as a more layered character, and I think the drama tried to do that a little in the last 2 episodes. It's just that she was introduced to us as so despicable from the get go, that it's a little hard to go back and create sympathy for her now.dry.gif Not impossible, just harder. I like the actress who plays her adult version, and think she could handle a more complex character, so maybe the drama will show us more of that going forward.

@dramaok: I'm hoping that Woon plays out a little differently than he did in the book. There's only so much unrequited love my poor heart can take! Between him and YM and S, I'm afraid it may be crushed.

Guest monkeyober1

After the spoilers mentioned by Dramaok, reading the first chapter of the novel translated by Blue is a lot more intense. It was already really good but I like the added suspense. It makes you wonder how much Wol wanted to reveal herself and really, what exactly was she thinking while the prince was at her place and how difficult for her was it? You get the impression based on the last few paragraphs of the translation that it was difficult for her.

I'm guessing that most people who are watching the drama have not read the book like me. Speaking for myself, I react to characters based on how they're presented on the drama. At the same time, how my personal tastes color my likes and dislikes for characters. That is why actors are so important in bringing life to characters, interpreting the reading to visual/talking characters that we can relate to in a different way compared to when we read. Since I have not read the book, I really have no expectations in terms of what the story should be or not be. In the end, whether I like or do not like this drama will be based on just what the drama will present to us in the future.

For me, right now, I'm not really feeling the romance part of the drama because when I look at the child actors, that's what I see--children . So, I can't really help but roll my eyes when the romance parts come in. That is one reason why I am soooo looking forward to the adult actors coming in. Personally, I'm in this drama for Jung Ilwoo :wub: . If it were only Kim Soo Hyun, I'd probably still watch it, but I'd probably be not as excited as the thought of seeing both of them together on screen. :wub: Sorry, I'm shallow like that :w00t:

Heads up for anyone still waiting for English subs: word on the grapevine is that MBC America will be uploading episodes onto Hulu starting next week. Keep your fingers crossed!

And a quick note on Woon:

In the novel, I actually cared more for his backstory than his unrequited love for Wol/Yeonwoo. He has a very interesting relationship with his "mother" - who is not his mother but the official wife of his father. She loves him like a mother, but he is unable to call her mother in title because of his lower status. Then (spoiler!) Hwon rewards him at the end of the novel by raising his status to nobleman and he rushes to his mother and says, "May I now call you Mother?" It was so touching. I really hope they include all this in the drama series.

This drama has become popular largely because of the amazing acting of the child actors. Most of the time, people can't wait for the adult actors to appear, but in this one alot of people want the child actors to stay longer. Each one of them should feel proud of a job well done.

Guest nana544

@Jazzer, thank you and I hope MBC American will because that will be so awesome and I hope that it will come with Eng subs :)!!!!!

Guest dramaok

ajhfh2sceaae2dp.jpg

credit: songinhyuk (MBC photography director)

Honestly, even though my heart aches for YM, I don't really "ship" him with YW. I think Hwon and YW are a pretty solid OTP with the whole fate/destiny thing going for them. My empathy for him isn't about wanting him to get the girl, as much as it is wanting him to be happy and feel loved. 

yes it's hard not to want Yangmyung to be happy and feel loved. Lee Min Ho is doing such a fabulous job w/ the character. Today was his last day on the set so they are sending him off w/ flowers. T.T will miss him. I have never finished a drama starring Jung Il Woo in it but I always thought he was very charming so I am looking forward to his entrance.

re: Bokyung. actually the character is rather pitiable. she is really a girl who never gets a chance to fully develop her own identity. in a way she is just a pawn and in a way she is a prisoner of the palace, like Hwon is a prisoner as well, despite the power and reverence given to him. At least Yangmyung has some freedom to come and go and he's spared of the huge burden of country and of royal family succession.