How long do you keep your earrings in?

Guest Malice_Kaiser

Guest Malice_Kaiser

One day? Days? Weeks? Months?
Maybe I'm weird but I don't really change my earrings that often unless it's for an occasional/holiday/going out. If there is a stretch of weeks where I don't do anything special, I just go to classes and work and study, then I just put in a pair of earrings and leave the same ones in for weeks at a time. I take them out every once in a while to clean them, but then I just put them right back in.

I guess I'm lazy, but I just find this way easier than picking out a pair of earrings every day, plus I don't lose them this way (and I am TERRIBLE about losing earrings).

My boyfriend thought this was weird. He started noticing me never really changing my earrings, because he assumed that girls put a different pair on every day like clothes or underwear. I tried telling him it wasn't weird, but he didn't get it.

So is this weird? :huh: How often do you guys change your earrings? And for what reasons, if any? I'm making this thread in hopes of showing him some proof that this is normal, but maybe I'll just prove him right instead. :P

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest tofuxx

dont worry, i have a friend who never changes her earrings. ever since her friend helped put them in for her, she has left them in for years. she says she doesnt know how to change them. theyre spikes on both ends which im assuming is screwed on. but whatever, her ears has never been infected and the earrings match with all her stuff.

as for me, it depends on my mood and how much time i have to get ready. if theyre small studs, i can leave them in for weeks as long as theyre not infecting my ears. since its summer and i have more time, i change them every 1-3 days. but if theyre dangling earrings then i take them off at the end of the day since they would be uncomfortable to sleep with

Guest nobody knows

almost never change my earrings, especially since I only wear studs

if I take them out, I don't wear earrings for a long time

for example ..

I made a pair of earrings back in maybe March ~ April. I only took them out when we had races for track (no metal allowed), and even then, sometimes forgot them on my uniform and went a few races without remembering

until about early~mid July, I took them out to try on earrings I got for free and since then have not worn anything (aside from a piece of wire I stuck in my ear to test it was small enough

*I also majour in jewelry design and make craploads of earrings, so it's not like I'm in deficit or anything, I just don't feel like it

Guest x123x

Definitely not weird! :P I like to wear studs more now because they're so much more convenient that way. I leave them on until there's another pair of earrings I wanna switch to (such as other non-stud earrings), and that would probably be because of an occasion, or I feel like the particular outfit goes nicer with non-studs.

And the cartilage one... that one pretty much never changes. The only changes I've done on that are changing it from stud to small hoop, and back to stud.....

Guest EHNerJI

I don't really wear earrings much anymore, but when I did, I'd change them every day.

Usually I would wear a different pair every day, and even if I didn't,

I really don't like sleeping with them in, even if it's just studs.

I don't think it's weird to leave them in... just personal preference lol

kind of like deciding whether or not to sleep with your bra on ^^

Guest ticklemepinkz

it really depends. i wear the same earrings everytime i go out. I have two piercings. I usually take out the bottom one (juicy couture star studs) out before showering. Juicy earrings tend to collect mold or bacteria for some reason. I have been wearing my second piercing for a while about a week or two now. I got it done last year and they close much faster than the bottom ones. I haven't switched them out though, but if i wanted to i would only switch out the bottom ones.

Guest __herodreams

I always have earrings in my ears but I change them according to what I wear. When I was younger I kept the same ones in for long periods of time though; it's not weird :)

Guest echoism

i pretty much never change my earrings unless it's for a special occasion. my second set of piercings probably hasn't ben changed in like... 6 months ? at least. i just clean around them every once in a while.

Guest agentdevil5656

Right now I have been wearing the same pair of studs for a good 2 months now.

Once school starts again I'll probably switch it up, but definitely not weird!

Guest v3rmillion

I've had the same pair of barbells on for about 3-4 months :P

they're a bit longer than regular studs so the ends aren't hugging my earlobe

IMO, they're easier to clean (and possibly have better air circulation?) than studs with butterfly backings

not a big fan of butterfly backings either since I'd have to remove the whole earring to clean my ears and if I didn't take it out for ~3 days, there would be a nasty buildup of dead skin and whatnot on the backing :x

although if I wear something dangly (like large hoops or chandelier types), I'll change out of them ASAP so I don't tear my earlobe off (I have the worst luck with dangly earrings. they always get tangled in my hair or something else)

I kept mine on for years~ and only changed them a few times over the years since I got pierced ears when I was a baby. During middle school on, I started to wear different earrings and took them out before I slept! (: Nowadays, I don't really wear earrings.. My ear pierces have NOT closed up though. Since I had them pierced for so long, I can go years and years without putting earrings in, and they'll be fine.

Guest taramamari

I hardly ever change mine.I usually wear studs or small earrings because I don't have to change them very often. I usually wear silver studs or something that sparkles in not very bright colors because they go with almost everything. I've had my ears pierced for 11 years and for me it's not an option to take my earings out and leving them out because even though it's a long time since I got the pierced, they still close in like a day or two if I forget to put my earrings in. And even though I usully don't clean my earrings I can't remember ever having had an infection. 

I only change mine when I feel guilty for having way to many earrings I never use :P

I keep my tragus studs in for many months, since I can't change them by myself. :sweatingbullets:

As for my earlobe piercings, I change them whenever I feel like it.. depending on if I want to dress it up a bit, but usually I keep them in for many weeks. :)

It's not weird. It's really a matter of if you want to or not. When I was in high school I wore the same pair of studs or hoops for weeks on end. Now I prefer to change mine most days to match what I'm wearing, since I don't have a uniform anymore and I don't like mixing silver and gold jewelry. When I have a lazy week I just pop in a standard pair of studs or sleepers and just leave them in. But most of the time I put in a different pair every day.

Guest J'adore

I use to just wear the same studs everyday for years...not a fan of buying a lot of earrings.

I hated the buildup of gunk around the studs and it smelt bad. But I think the reasoning for wearing earrings all the time was to avoid them closing up. I remember once they did close up when I was young and it was a pain repiercing them and so my parents just threaded a piece through and I use to have kids at school question why I had thread in my piercing holes. Anyways I've had my fair share of ear pierces but I let my cartilage ones close up which they did and now I don't wear any in my 2 holes on the lobe but fortunately they don't close up at all.

I did have a pair of T.Co mini heart studs but when I go to bed the back of it just pierces behind my ear and it's very irritated so they are my going out studs! I rarely wear costume earrings and I have a fear of huge loop earrings so I just don't own anything really.

Guest RYUUSEi

I change my earrings quite often, almost everyday. It's fun. I never sleep with earrings on though, I'm too scared they'll fall off (as I tend to roll around a lot in my sleep LOL) and I won't find them again. It happened all the time when I was younger.

Guest xindi

When I was little, I wore small silver hoops ceaselessly, even to bed or in the shower. Nowadays, I change my earrings everyday :o mostly because I can't sleep in them haha, when I lay on my side the back of the earring pricks me x_x

As long as earrings are kept clean though, I don't see why it would be strange to continuously wear them everyday :)

Archived