what do you consider as your native langauge?

Dudie

I've been wondering this for a while since I see topics with people who can't speak thier native language well. So I decided to just ask.. what do you consider as your native langauge? The language you have been learning from the moment you where born or the langauge your nationality speaks?

Examples:

- You where adopted from China by Dutch parents. Do you consider Dutch as your native language or Chinese?

- Your parents are Japanese but lived in the UK for a long time and speak English. Do you consider English as your native or Japanese?

I also know some might have been raised with 2 languages because one parent is let's say Korean and the other Dutch. And they speak both langauges at home because they find it important the child learns both.

Guest Wingedbunny

I was born and raised in the Netherlands so i have spoked dutch since forever. My boyfriend was born here also but he's originally from Indonesia and he considers dutch his native language too. However his mom is fully Indonesian but also born here but she considers Indonesian her native language even though she can't speak it...

I guess it's a little bit personal...

Korean & English.

Both because although I was born in Korea, I basically 'grew up' in US of A! I spoke Korean at home~ and English at school when I was little so I'm fluent in both. I consider both my native language, Korean more so than English. 

:)

I'm Korean but born in the US, would consider Korean my native language, but only fluent in English. Think it just depends on the person you ask.

Guest fred2265

English. I have been working in Seoul for a couple of years, and will be returning to England at the end of the year.

as a linguistics major, i will say that even if you spoke one language to your parents at home until you were 3 or 4, then started speaking another at that age; if that "other" language is the one that you use the most and that you are most comfortable in, then that language is your native language.

a person can have 2 native languages. a person can switch native languages.

in the case of most? ppl on soompi, being born in the US to asian parents and speaking with them in an asian language doesn't make that language your native language.

Guest haku98

My first language is English but then I'm pretty fluent with my second, too; that is, Filipino - since I am one. So I guess, both? :)

I consider English as my native language because it is the only language I can speak fluently in.. not to mention, the only language that I can read and write in without referring to the dictionary (unless it is some word I have never heard of, something difficult, or if I am having a brain freeze!).

Guest nerdy_gurl

i was born in the USA, but i first learn Hmong then English

so i consider my native language to be Hmong

Although I was born in America, my parents always spoke Korean to me so I never really 'learned' English until elem. school. Therefore, I believe Korean is my native language :)

same here >_<

i was born in America but my parents taught me Hmong and i eventually learn english when i enter pre-school :)

Guest monkeyinabarrel

English is my second language but I consider it my native language (even though I suck in my English/writing classes)

I can't remember a word of mandarin..

• 2 years later...

little mixed girl said: as a linguistics major, i will say that even if you spoke one language to your parents at home until you were 3 or 4, then started speaking another at that age; if that "other" language is the one that you use the most and that you are most comfortable in, then that language is your native language.

a person can have 2 native languages. a person can switch native languages.

in the case of most? ppl on soompi, being born in the US to asian parents and speaking with them in an asian language doesn't make that language your native language.

Born and raised in China. Moved to the US later. 
Native language: Chinese. however I am definitely more fluent in English now. gotta brush up on my chinese :)

• 3 months later...
Guest eunbyeol3141

I was born in Australia, so I consider my native language to English. But my parents are Bangladeshi, so I consider my mother tongue as Bengali.

Archived