Returning iPhone 4 (16 GB) to Apple

damyoungji

Is it possible?
I bought the iPhone 4 a few months ago (I still have the receipt) and I am well aware of the whole "14 days return with full refund" policy with Apple. It costed me around $800 because I bought it without a contract and they told me to get it unlocked at Rogers. Everything was going well until late May when it started going wonky all of a sudden. It will no longer back up and the music was very disoriented - started 10 seconds into each song and play all over the place afterwards. I eventually got it replaced with a new one free of charge in early June. Things were going well until recently.. when the exact same problems started to occur =/ I am rather frustrated since it is not the first time it has happened, and my previous trips back to Apple was not very useful until my old one was replaced. It is not like I live close by to any of the stores, so I do have to take quite a trip to get to one.

I am thinking of going back to the store to ask for a return, but is it possible? Based on my research, it seems it is out of the question.. but what if it is because a customer is extremely unhappy with the product? If I do go to one of the store locations again, I am bringing my laptop again to prove it to them like I did the last few times. The first time I did it, they restored the settings with their Apple computers so it worked fine. But once I got home and gave it a try, it failed to back up again. I know there is nothing wrong with my Itunes considering how I download the latest version (my laptop is Windows 7).. which is the exact same one that Apple uses.

So my question is.. is it possible to return it back to Apple? I am pretty sure that I will not be getting my $800 back (great, I just flushed a few hundred down the drain and I just graduated T_T), but is it possible to get even a bit of money back? The iPhone I just got replaced has no scratches and it is in perfect condition.

If you could do what you just proposed after the initial 14 days, Apple would never sell any phones because those who buy the newest and greatest will use it for a few weeks and return it after the fad is gone. 

Did you buy it on a credit card? Some companies do take complaints seriously if they're warranted (say your phone always breaks and Apple refuses to fix it after X number of times) but I honestly don't think they will do much in your situation.

Try going back to a Apple store or calling them and making a persuasive argument on why you're unsatisfied. Companies always tend to replace or repair instead of refunding after the time period (no sure how that logic works out financially) so you need a strong case to swing the odds in your favor. What can you get out of them? No idea but don't expect a (full) refund. 

The other solution is to resell it. You'll lose some money but certainly not as bad as Apple possibly telling you "tough luck" and leaving you with nothing. New condition can probably go for close to MSRP but seeing as people anticipate a new one, lack of demand might lower it to say $600 or $500. I don't know the pricing for phones so someone else can correct me.

Guest Xarthan

Wouldn't hurt to try, but I highly doubt it. Are you sure the problem is the phone and not your music? You could have some corrupted music files on your computer.

You do have a 1 year warranty with the phone. So instead of making the trip there, call apple and they can mail you a replacement exchange.

Guest forgottenmemories

I highly doubt they'll let you return it. But their service is pretty amazing, if they can't fix it, they'll replace the phone for you. Make sure you buy the extended apple care warranty too if you're planning to keep the phone for awhile. I had a problem with my iphone 4 home button not working, when I took it into Apple for servicing, they couldn't fix it so they gave me a new (refurbished) phone. I haven't had a problem since. But even with my old 3gs they were amazing at replacing parts for me when I have issues with the phone, no questions asked.

Archived