[Movie 2011] Blue Salt / Hindsight 푸른소금

Guest adikkeluangman

Guest Bradamante

Shin Se Kyung looking beautiful at the press conference

By JJ, on August 23rd, 2011

76182048.jpg

Starring Actor Song Kang Ho and actress Shin Se Kyung, the movie ‘Blue Salt‘ had its press conference on the 23rd.

The two main leads, Song Kang Ho and Shin Se Kyung were present at the press conference.

Having cast one of Korea’s most respected actor Song Kang Ho and arguably the most sought after actress in town, the movie had already garnered plenty interests even before the production began.

In the movie ‘Blue Salt’ Song Kang Ho’s character is seemingly a cold and distant individual, but underneath the cold exterior lies a humane person. Shin Se Kyung’s character is very much unlike the roles we are used to seeing her play. She plays a rough and somewhat ferocious individual in the movie.

Other top names to star in the movie include Song Kang Ho’s trusted right-hand man Chun Jung Myung, the mob’s No.2 and Song Kang Ho’s friend’s role by Lee Jong Hyuk, and the veteran killer’s role played by Kim Min Joon.

The movie ‘Blue Salt’ tells the story about a former mobster (Song Kang Ho) who tries to live a normal and quiet life, and the woman who has been sent to spy on him (Shin Se Kyung). The two slowly fall in love without revealing each other’s true identity and they are slowly thrown onto a dangerous path.

Source: newsen via Nate

Source: kpopfever

Song Kang Ho and Shin Se Kyung Attend "Blue Salt" Press Conference

by: melkimx on Aug 23, 2011

8b11b548c121d302e85c0537cade88b7_large.jpg

Song Kang Ho and Shin Se Kyung attended the press conference for their upcoming movie "Blue Salt" on August 23 at CGV Wangsimni. Shin looked gorgeous in a draped gray and black dress.

During the conference, Shin shared her positive feelings about working opposite one of Korea's best actors. "The fact that I was able to work with Song Kang Ho was a big honor for me," said the actress. "I have a long ways to go, but I was really surprised to get this special opportunity… I had a lot of concerns but Song Kang Ho helped a lot and led the way."

"Now I'm in love with him," Shin added laughingly.

Song Kang Ho addressed the 23-year age discrepancy between the onscreen pairing. "I'm afraid people might shrivel from embarrassment, seeing two actors with huge age gaps work together," he said with a smile.

He also joked about his tough guy image. "It's my fourth time playing a mob role, but I've been getting promoted every time and now I'm the boss! I think being a mobster is the perfect job to show a character's dramatic life, and that's why it appears a lot in Korean movies."

"Blue Salt" is about the complicated relationship between an ex-mafia boss and an assassin who has been hired to kill him.

Source: soompi

Stars attend “Blue Salt” V.I.P movie premiere

by Casper on August 23, 2011

67649021.jpg

On the night of August 23rd, there was only one place for Seoul’s V.I.Ps to be, and that was at the CGV Wangsimni IMAX theatre. Stars and journalists flocked to attend the V.I.P premiere for the highly-anticipated action flick, ”Blue Salt“, which was directed by Lee Hyun Seung.

“Blue Salt” is about a compassionate, but tough gang boss named ‘Du Heon’ (Song Kang Ho) who is now retired and dreams of becoming a restaurant owner. He meets ‘Se Bin’ (Shin Se Kyung), a girl with a mysterious identity at a cooking class. Little does he know that she’s tasked to kill him because her best friend was being held captive by Du Heon’s rival gang. Du Heon and Se Bin soon fall in love with each other, but ultimately they have to make a choice.

The V.I.P premiere drew in huge names like Rain, Kim Min Joon, Kim Chang Ryul, Choi Daniel, Kim Hye Soo, Kim Hye Jin, SNSD (Sooyoung, Tiffany, Hyoyeon, YoonA, Sunny), Kim Soo Hyun, Min Hyo Rin, Yoon Eun Hye, Jang Hyuk, Lee Yoon Ji, Kim Hae Sook, Lee Jung Hyun, Jung Woo Sung, Horan, Park Hee Sun, Lee Jung Jae, Kim Joo Hyuk, Eom Ji Won, Kim Gyuri and many more.

The movie will be officially released in Korean theaters from September 1st.

Source: allkpop

48320326.jpg

79724882.jpg

68481507.jpg

Sources: nate | nate | nate

52558553.jpg

Source: sstv.tvreport

VOD Link: naver | youtube

90467933.jpg

92889125.jpg

53969607.jpg

68573077.jpg

Credit: bluesalt2011

Guest Bradamante

Shin Se Kyung releases music video for ‘Blue Salt’ OST, “Blue Summer Day”

by VITALSIGN on August 24, 2011

43940814.jpg

With “Blue Salt” nearing its theatre release, the film’s OST track, “Blue Summer Day“, was revealed through both a digital single and music video!

“Blue Summer Day” was sung by actress Shin Se Kyung and male vocalist MY Q. It was also composed by indie group 3rd Coast and written by director Lee Hyun Seung.

The music video, meanwhile, was produced by director Cha Eun Taek, who’s known for his work with Lee Hyori, Lee Seung Hwan, and Brown Eyes. Given that it’s a song for an OST, the video also gives fans a glimpse into the upcoming film.

Source + Photos: No Cut News via Naver

Source: allkpop

VOD Link:

youtube

푸른소금 OST [여름날의 블루] 뮤직비디오

ost20110824000241231610.jpg

Shin Se Kyung, My-Q - Summer Blues (여름날의 블루) Blue Salt OST (푸른소금 OST)

As I look at the sun-filled, eye blinding sky up high

I think of the day we first met with black clouds and tears

Yes, it was like that but our story didn't stop

The flowing memories pass the red sunset and float over the sea

Oh how beautiful is your smile

It rides the blue ride and slightly comes to me

Oh how beautiful is your song

It warmly blows over and softly embraces us

Only you need to listen

Oh, why can't we?

No matter what anyone says, I can't give up

Even if it's so hard, I want to smile

Today, I want to tell you everything

I want to share my littlest secrets

With confidence- even if I have to start again

* We're going all the way

Hold my hand now, so I won't be lonely

Sing with me this song for you

I will trust you, I will jump with you

I will shout this song for you

No way- you don't need to be concerned about others

If someone looks at you, just tell me

You just need to enjoy it- the most fearful thing is regret

Just for tonight, please understand me

* repeat

Credit: popgasa.com

Guest Bradamante

Blue Salt will hit theatres on August 31.

송강호 신세경 ‘푸른소금’, 9월 추석→8월31일 앞당겨 개봉

서울신문NTN 원문 기사전송 2011-08-25 18:28

20110823_1314087405_56917700_1.jpg

[서울신문NTN 박민경 기자] 배우 송강호와 신세경의 로맨스 호흡으로 화제를 모은 영화 ‘푸른소금’이 8월 31일 개봉을 확정했다.

당초 9월 추석 시즌 개봉작으로 거론됐던 ‘푸른소금’(이현승 제작 스튜디오 블루)은 개봉일을 앞당겨 8월 31일부터 관객들과 만나게 됐다. ‘푸른소금’ 배급사 측은 25일 “지난 23일 ‘푸른소금’ 언론시사회 이후 기대감이 고조됐고 빨리 영화를 만나고 싶다는 관객들의 성원에 힘입어 개봉일을 앞당겼다”고 밝혔다.

‘푸른소금’은 은퇴한 조직원 두헌(송강호 분)과 그에 대한 감시를 의뢰 받고 접근한 여자 세빈(신세경 분)가 서로 특별한 감정을 느끼며 위험에 빠지게 되는 이야기를 그린다. 극중 전직 사격선수 출신인 ‘비밀녀’ 세빈을 연기하기 위해 사격은 물론 오토바이 면허증까지 취득한 신세경은 영화 OST를 직접 부르며 수준급의 노래 실력까지 뽐냈다.

또한 ‘23세 연하’인 신세경과 미묘한 감정 호흡을 맞춘 송강호는 은퇴 후 요리사가 되고 싶은 전직 조직원 두헌으로 분해 한층 날렵해진 스타일과 카리스마 있는 액션 연기를 선보였다. 이외에도 천정명 이종혁 김민준 윤여정 오달수 등 연기파 배우들이 힘을 더했다.

한편 영화 ‘시월애’의 이현승 감독이 메가폰을 잡은 ‘푸른소금’은 오는 31일부터 스크린을 통해 만날 수 있다.

사진 = 서울신문NTN DB

박민경 기자 minkyung@seoulntn.com

Source: nate

Google Translation

Songgangho sinsegyeong 'green salt', September 월 31 일 ahead of Thanksgiving → ​​8 released

[seoul newspaper NTN bakmingyeong News] Actor songgangho and owe obedience to the collection of topics to breathe romance film "Blue Salt 'This was confirmed on August 31 premiere.

As originally discussed in September Thanksgiving season gaebongjak dwaetdeon 'blue salt (yihyeonseung production studios, blue), ahead of the opening date was from August 31 to meet with the audience. 'Green salt, "the 25th party distributors," the last 23 days' green salt' heightened expectations after the press premiere dwaetgo want to see movies as soon as members of the audience, thanks to the opening date apdanggyeotda, "he said.

'Green salt, "the retired operatives duheon (songgangho minutes), and commissioned him under surveillance for a woman approached Sevin (sinsegyeong minutes) with each other feel special emotional story that will draw in jeopardy. Native of the former players shooting the drama 'bimilnyeo' Sevin, as well as to delay shooting until the motorcycle driver's license obtained directly beholden to Sir Movie OST ppomnaetda up singing and singing-class.

In addition, three younger '23 "focused breathing, feeling the subtle progress of renal songgangho want to become a chef after retiring from the ex-operatives duheoneuro nalryeophaejin style and charisma even decomposition presented in the Action postponed. In addition, Jong Kim Min-june yunyeojeong cheonjeongmyeong ohdalsu Method actor, and added their strength.

Meanwhile, the film siwolae's yihyeonseung grab a megaphone directed 'blue salt' is coming through the screen 31 can be met.

August 25, 2011

Actors help 'Hindsight' keep focus

By Lee Hyo-won hyowlee@koreatimes.co.kr

1108261010.jpg

Actors Song Kang-ho, left, and Shin Se-kyung appear in a scene from “Hindsight,” the latest film by Lee Hyeon-seung.

/ Courtesy of CJ E&M Pictures

In the 1990s, Lee Hyeon-seung shot to stardom with the visually lush “Blue In You” (1992) and became a household name with another striking film, “Il Mare” (2000), which went on to become the first local flick to be remade in Hollywood (into “The Lake House,” a 2006 piece starring Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock).

“Hindsight” takes the director’s art-school pedigree to new heights, by featuring even more breathtaking, color-coded visuals set to signature soundtracks from his previous two films.

Lee is an artsy auteur with a knack for painting beautiful scenes, capturing an ambiance and crafting subtle nuances between characters. His latest film is yet another unconventional drama exploring an intimate yet hard-to-nail-down relationship between a man and woman, but the script often resorts to laughably cliched elements to propel its rather choppy narrative structure. As a result, the striking visuals, particularly those set amid a blue salt farm (thus the film’s Korean title “Blue Salt”), end up feeling like a very, very long and expensive music video.

However, fiendishly talented actors, including the irreplaceable Song Kang-ho in the lead, and screen veteran Youn Yuh-jeong spicing things up in a charismatic supporting role, give substance to the overly stylized story.

Song has worked with Korean cinema greats such as Lee Chan-dong, Park Chan-wook and Bong Joon-ho, and is no stranger to playing a gangster. Following the press preview for “Hindsight” in Seoul Tuesday, he told reporters how he began as the youngest member in the gang in “Green Fish” (1996), rose to third in the ranks in “No. 3” (1997), became second in line in “The Show Must Go On” (2007) until finally portraying the boss in “Hindsight.”

The actor brings a much more mature characterization of the guy-next-door-with-secrets persona he has portrayed in films like 2010’s “Secret Reunion,” aka “Blood Brothers.” Here he plays Du-heon, a legendary figure in Seoul’s underworld who retires and resettles in Busan in order to pursue his dreams of becoming a chef — to use the knife for healthier purposes.

In spite of Du-heon’s wish to lead a quiet life, past ties do not let go easily. The former gang boss had been part of an alliance between once-feuding clans that united under the leadership of a veteran mobster. The president of this united league of gangs had always eyed Du-heon as his successor, and so his jealous peers keep tabs on his activities in Busan. Starlet Shin Se-kyung casts off her feminine image to play the watchdog Se-bin, a young rebellious type with a penchant for motorcycles and leather jackets.

Se-bin closes in on her subject by enrolling in the same culinary academy. Du-heon is far from exhibiting any signs of talent as a cook while Se-bin seems to be a natural. The two are drawn closer to each other as they bicker over proper ways of handling fish, and develop a strange friendship. Shin, initially awkward, eases into the role as her interactions with Song become greater.

Meanwhile, other gang bosses feel increasingly threatened by Du-heon, and Se-bin, who happens to be a former national shooting athlete, is ordered to kill her new friend. When our young heroine refuses to execute the mission,her best friend Eun-jeong (model Lee Som), oblivious of the intimate ties the two have established, makes an attempt to kill Du-heon herself. But Eun-jeong meets a fatal end after the failed attempt and Se-bin decides to kill Du-heon out of vengeance. And yet, every time she has a good shot at her target, she hesitates. In the meantime, Madame Kang (Youn), the ruthless hitwoman whom Se-bin works for, decides to employ another sniper, K (Kim Min-jun), to kill Du-heon.

Du-heon on the other hand eventually learns that Se-bin has been ordered to assassinate him, but firmly believes she never will and does all he can to protect her.

The story here is simple: A young girl befriends her target, while the target is aware of the situation but pretends not to know. The film, though, strays too far away from its main idea to explain the background stories — the only saving grace is that the supporting actors, such as the surprisingly goofy Chun Jeong-myoung and veterans such as Oh Dal-su, make these unnecessary tangents interesting. The film’s ultimate mistake is that it wraps up in a rush with a surprise ending that dispels the magic.

“Hindsight,” a CJ E&M Pictures release, opens in September.

September 2, 2011

Song softens gangster image in ‘Hindsight’ opposite starlet Shin

By Kim In-koo, Sung So-young [so@joongang.co.kr] Korea JoongAng Daily

01215136.jpg

Song Gang-ho [NEWSIS]

Song Gang-ho has worked hard to forge a tough-guy persona on the big screen.

The 44-year-old veteran actor has posed as a gangster, policeman, government agent and spy in his previous movies. For Song, scars and tattoos are props he can’t seem to do without.

In his latest movie, “Hindsight,” which was released nationwide on Wednesday, the award-winning actor portrays a retired gangster boss. The difference is that Song succeeds in showing his softer side by playing a man who falls in love with a young lady, played by Shin Se-gyeong, who is 23 years his junior.

Song and Shin were considered an unlikely pairing when the lineup was announced last year, but a recent prescreening event for media proved that Song has enough depth to carry the role.

Q. This is your third time playing a gangster, but the character is more sensitive than your previous portrayals. Was it a tough transition to make?

A. My character, Yoon Du-heon, is a retired gangster boss. He wants to make a new life for himself by working as a cook.

So I thought I needed to make him look different from my previous gangster roles. I shed about five kilograms [11 pounds] and we spent a considerable amount of time discussing the way I should look, such as what to wear and how to style my hair.

What was it like to pair up with such a young actress?

I know it is a huge age gap. [Laughs.] But Shin did a good job because she is pretty mature for her age.

Du-heon falls in love with Se-bin, but one of your character’s peers thinks the relationship is inappropriate. Did this trouble you?

I wanted the audience to warm to my character rather than feeling uncomfortable with his actions. I also tried my best not to be a harmful influence on Shin [with my acting]. I’ve already been in a lot of movies, but she’s a new face and a rising star.

It must have been daunting for Shin to work with you given your vast experience and numerous awards. How did you break the ice?

If Shin were a man, I would have invited her to my room for a few drinks during the production, but that wasn’t really possible. Instead, I took her to a sushi restaurant and treated her to some sea eel, which is quite rare. She really liked it and it helped us to become closer.

I’ve worked with many younger actors, including Gang Dong-won and Lee Na-young. Working with younger people always inspires me because of their positive energy.

After the prescreening event for the media, some critics said the film lacks dramatic tension between the two leads. Is this a fair assessment?

I think director Lee Hyun-seung tried to make an unconventional love story. If people watch the film as the director intended, that is to say, from his point of view, I think they will really enjoy it.

Why is Korea so obsessed with “jopok” (gangster movies)?

People want dramatic characters with a lot of stories to tell. That’s what makes gangsters so popular here.

Have you received many offers to act in TV dramas?

I used to, but not anymore. Maybe because they think I’m too busy to do dramas.

How would you compare where you are now to when you started out?

I feel like I have a lot more responsibility now.

S0000001_.jpg

P0000004_SHJ_1082.jpg

P0000005_SHJ_1338-1.jpg

http://www.cine21.com/do/article/article/typeDispatcher?mag_id=67304

P0000007_SHJ_0865.jpg

http://www.cine21.com/do/article/article/typeDispatcher?mag_id=67305

P0000008_SHJ_0996.jpg

http://www.cine21.com/do/article/article/typeDispatcher?mag_id=67306

093448140.jpg

htm_20110902185108020000020201-003.jpg

htm_20110902185108020000020201-001.jpg

htm_20110902185108020000020201-002.jpg

http://www.movieweek.co.kr/article/article.html?aid=27460

htm_20110905162043020000020201-001.jpg

htm_20110902180721020000020201-001.jpg

http://www.movieweek.co.kr/article/article.html?aid=27456

htm_20110902182551020000020201-001.jpg

http://www.movieweek.co.kr/article/article.html?aid=27457

htm_20110902183356020000020201-001.jpg

http://www.movieweek.co.kr/article/article.html?aid=27458

htm_20110907101917020000020201-001.jpg

http://www.movieweek.co.kr/article/article.html?aid=27459

[iNTERVIEW] Actor Song Kang-ho

10Asia (Part 1) 10Asia (Part 2) 2011.08.31 | Photo gallery

2011083116552384543_1.jpg

Song Kang-ho is not an actor who can be described as someone who is merely 'good at acting.' His acting lifts up and calms the viewer's heart at the most unexpected moments. He will take off his shoes and put them onto the feet of the woman who is roaming about a street at night ("Thirst"), hold up a mirror for a woman who is cutting her hair to start her life fresh ("Secret Sunshine") and ask "Have you at least been eating?" to a haggard-looking suspect he has barely caught ("Memories of a Murder"). He brings forth ripples to viewers' hearts the moment these characters, with Song Kang-ho's face, make even the smallest gesture. What is more memorable in "Hindsight" too is not the blue mise-en-scene that covers the entire movie but how awkward former mob boss Du-heon (played by Song) looks as he scratches his head while looking at Se-bin (played by Shin Se-gyeong) walk away. So where does this man's unidentifiable, seemingly limitless power to do so come from? Below are excerpts from 10Asia's interview with Song Kang-ho.

You seem to have lost a lot of weight.

Song Kang-ho: I didn't on purpose but I do think I lost a bit of weight. Maybe it's because I drink less? Although I actually did drink last night. (laugh) I came to drink a lot while filming with guys for movies such as "The Good, The Bad, The Weird" and "Secret Reunion" but less while filming with women for movies like "Secret Sunshine," "Thirst" and the recent "Hindsight."

But I heard that you were going to appear in "Night Fog" (translated title) which tells about friendship between men but switched over to "Hindsight."

Song: I had always wanted to try working with director Lee Hyeon-seung. And it was in the fall of 2008, when I was almost done filming "Thirst," that I decided to do "Night Fog" with him but it didn't happen for various reasons. So I told him to take his time in preparing the movie and that I'd do any of his movies, when I came to join "Hindsight" which he wrote about two years ago. Everything worked out smoothly after that. I guess it just shows that it helps to have an actress... (laugh) But that took a long time to happen too so I asked him to wait a few months and shot "Secret Reunion" in between. (laugh)

Why was it that you so wanted to work with director Lee Hyeon-seung?

Song: There's something that's unique and different about him when it comes to his cinematography. "Blue in You" and "Il Mare" were both movies that at the time, had extremely modern and stylish vibes about them. I also thought that the characters in his movies were very different from the characters you see in other people's works.

2011083116552384543_3.jpg

In that sense then, was there something special you felt about your character Du-heon who was a boss of a mob but tries to start on a clean slate by leaving that life behind and learning to cook?

Song: Ah, well you'll see this when you watch the movie but there's a mystical charm about him. The movie is about how Se-bin, played by Shin Se-gyeong, and Du-heon develop their emotions for each other which is at times, in a dense way and at times comical yet sticking, so the movie doesn't tell everything about Du-heon from the very beginning. Should I say there's a subdued feeling about him? His emotions such as love and friendship aren't delivered through what he says but accumulate until instantaneously, like a sponge absorbs water, absorbs the emotions into himself. This sponge-like feeling about Du-heon was very new to me.

And how was it trying to interpret and then act out such an ambiguous character?

Song: Would it have been ordinary for Du-heon to be all muscular and look like he's great at fighting just because he was the former boss of a mob? Would I not seem like a boss if I didn't bulk up and when I take off my clothes, people didn't say, "Wow, he's really scary. He really looks like a boss." I didn't think so. And on set, if the director said that something I did wasn't the way Du-heon would act, I'd think of what sort of person he is and how I should show who he is by trying to find the common denominator between me and the director's thoughts.

You've played a variety of roles and various personalities including a detective, secret agent and gangster but it's impossible to not think of you when we think of those characters. So why is it that these characters, on such extremes, are bound by you?

Song: Everyone has different styles of acting but we can't say which is right and which is wrong because what an actor does is what works best with that actor. It's just that with me, I try to figure out the nature of the characters that I play rather than focus on what they look like on the outside. I always think of what would be the most 'ordinary' way of expressing a character. For example, when it comes to being a reporter, you might think that computer, notepad and voice recorder is what they're about and they are but they're things everybody knows about. However, there are things about them that are ordinary yet we don't know about. For example, there's another nature to reporters. And that's what I look for. I think showing the audience that single thing specific to that reporter is what moves and marvels them.

2011083117153081341_1.jpg

Well even with that, you must express yourself in different ways depending on the situation so I'm curious when you decide to use what sort of ad-libs.

Song: It differs for every project. In the case of "Thirst," I believed that sticking to the storyboard and script director Park Chan-wook came up with would be the best way of expressing his intentions so I said my lines word for word, as they were in the script I was given, without any ad-libs. It was the same with "Secret Sunshine." On the other hand, I used a lot of ad-libs for movies like "Hindsight" and "Memories of a Murder" because they went through a lot of changes on set. Director Bong Joon-ho likes to have his actors act freely within the realm of his projects yet he only goes with the really good ad-libs because they shouldn't affect his work negatively.

Well, being able to have such control over your acting while being natural with it can probably only happen if you trust in yourself as an actor. When did you start to have that trust in yourself?

Song : I actually debuted in 1996 with "The Day a Pig Fell Into a Well" but I had such a minor part that I really just did what I was told and didn't even know where the camera was. I think director Hong Sang-soo might be sad if he hears this. (laugh) But the first project that I decided I want to really start acting was in "Green Fish" from 1997 and I was very lucky because I got to work with great people like director Lee Chang-dong and actor Han Suk-kyu so I learned a lot about movies.

You're 23 years apart from Shin Se-gyeong whom you appeared with in "Hindsight." What sort of relationship do you portray yourselves as being in?

Song: Our age difference isn't that big in the movie but we also won't look like lovers. Of course, we definitely shouldn't, but our age difference was also something that shouldn't create a gap between us so we expressed ourselves to an adequate point. There's a very mature vibe about Shin Se-gyeong as an actress -- in terms of the tone of her voice or her looks. So the gap between our ages doesn't look that big. And my senior actors used to tell me, "An actor is a good actor when he looks three or four years older than his age when he's young and three to four years younger than his age when he's old." And it wasn't in regards to one's looks. It means that an actors should look like they have depth when young and look lively and dynamic when old.

2011083117153081341_2.jpg

How has it been working with Shin Se-gyeong?

Song: Shin Se-gyeong has mostly done dramas so I could see that in the beginning, she was confused about the environment on a movie set and wasn't sure of what to do. Basically put, with dramas you do what you're told to. But you don't have to with movies so she was allowed to try out different things but seemed stiff because she didn't have much experience doing so. That's why I made her treat me like her friend and that's when she started doing ad-libs. That's when I realized that she's an actress that can put herself at such ease. And it shows in the movie as well. There's actually a very thin line between those two points, but it makes all the difference, and although she had a hard time stepping over that at first, she made that line as thin as possible at one point and stepped over it. And that's what I was proud about with her. Because it's just impossible for some people to do that.

"Hindsight" is close to being a romantic movie but your filmography shows that you've rarely been in romantic movies. Is there a particular reason for this?

Song: I personally am not drawn to romantic films. Of the movies I've been in, I regard "Secret Sunshine," "Thirst" and "Hindsight" romantic films. And I dont' intend to denigrate the genre itself -- romantic movies are a very wide genre. I think that's also why I rarely did any romantic movies when I was younger. "Secret Sunshine" may seem to talk about love but is actually about life and eternal salvation and "Thirst" too has a meaning of its own but contains love within. The same goes for "Hindsight" which may seem like a romantic movie in general but is different from the typical movies we see as being in that genre. Whether it was love or friendship that they felt for each other, the movie would've been a bit boring if it was just about their emotions.

What's movie "Howling" like that you're filming with actress Lee Na-young right now?

Song: I play a director who is quite aged, with kids, not a young one. But they'll just serve as the background to the movie. I think I'll mainly be expressing the things that happen at work.

Well you have rarely taken breaks but there are also a lot of people that want to see you in your trademark comedies like "No. 3" or "The Foul King."

Song: And I really want to do them too. But I get a lot of scripts that are more serious than traditional comedieis these days. I'd like to do movies that you can laugh your head off from start to finish but I haven't really been given the opportunity to. Well, actually... "Hindsight" may not be a comedy but there will be some elements to it that'll surprise you. (laugh)

Reporter : Hwang Hyo-Jin.

Photographer : Chae Ki-won.

Editor : Jang Kyung-Jin.

Editor : Jessica Kim.

[iNTERVIEW] Actress Shin Se-gyeong

10Asia 2011.08.31 | Photo gallery

2011083114242101392_1.jpg

"I don't think watching comedies is the remedy to when you're having a hard time. Sad movies are sometimes more consoling." Such a remark, likely to be made by someone who has been through every hardship in life, was said very calmly by the 21-year-old Shin Se-gyeong. And this was even more surprising given that she would answer every question she was asked without hesitation while gazing straight into the eyes of the questioner. But it was due to her having halted her acting career in high school to live her life as an ordinary high school student who likes music and movies that she was able to experience the various emotions that one needs to as an actor which made it possible for her to have more diverse expressions than other actors her age. And in that sense, it is only natural that Shin wanted to be in movie "Hindsight" where she had to play the role of Se-bin who doesn't know if she feels love, friendship or sympathy for Du-heon (played by Song Kang-ho) that she has to kill. She even confessed several times during her brief interview with 10Asia that she "really wanted to do 'Hindsight'." Below are excerpts from the interview.

Like you just said, Se-bin and Du-heon weren't just in love and there's a huge age difference between the two. So what relationship did you see them as being in then?

Shin: At first, I too thought, 'What is this if this isn't love?' but I think they're in a relationship where they console each other. It's hard to explain in words but sort of a relationship where they'd console each other, then realize their similarities, and sympathize with the other. I think the comical aspects Song Kang-ho has made the movie more heartrending.

It was important that you held your ground and not cower against your scene partner because Se-bin was constantly spying on Du-heon and looking for the time to aim her gun at him. How was it acting with actor Song Kang-ho in that sense, who is over 20 years older than you?

Shin: He was an actor with great energy on set. And at first I was worried that my shortcomings would stand out even more. But Song always thinks of the movie as a whole and he knows that a scene will look good only when he communes with his scene partner. That's why he always led me instead of going alone. He's a warm person. And I can't tell you how relieved I am about that. After finishing filming "Hindsight," I've almost habitually watched his movies "The Show Must Go On" and "Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance" whenever I miss him.

2011083114242101392_3.jpg

You worked with actors in a wide-range of ages while filming "High Kick 2" for six months. Has such experience helped you with filming "Hindsight"?

Shin: It definitely has in a certain way. I think I would've cowered much more if I had met Song without working on "High Kick 2." Having worked with a lot of senior actors makes a big difference. I realized why it's important that the less experienced actor approaches the experienced actors and why that'll make them see us in a good way, rather than having acquired the skills to treat adults better.

Would you say you're good at forming such relationships then?

Shin: I used to be much more calm and liked to be alone to think about things when I was in school but I've become very cheerful after becoming an actress. I think I changed because I'm always around people and have to work with them but I'm very happy. It's a huge gain for me.

Since you took on "Hindsight" that you took it on although you knew it would be a difficult project beyond your capabilities, what do you think you'll have gained from it as an actor?

Shin: I really didn't have such expectations for it in the beginning... I started with pure passion for it. But I've realized that there have been many things I have subtly learned and acquired while receiving help from my senior actors and resolving the concerns I had. They're things that I wouldn't be able to buy for any amount of cash. I definitely think I haven't suffered in vain.

2011083114242101392_2.jpg

You're also scene partners with actor Han Suk-kyu in "A Tree with Deep Roots" who is 26 years older than you. How has it been acting with him?

Shin: I don't know about him too well because it hasn't been that long since we've gone into shoot but I get the feeling that he's a very gentle and right-minded person.

You'll play the role of a court lady who suffers from aphasia after her parents got murdered. How are you going about with this?

Shin: She's someone who has a lot to deliver through words but has been seized of the ability to. I actually wanted a few movies with mutes but they all expressed themselves differently depending on their personalities so they weren't much help. (laugh) I'm trying to talk to the director a lot during the beginning phases so we can adjust our opinions on how I should express her. I know it's going to be difficult to but I'm sure I'll find enlightenment if I pull this off.

Reporter : Lee Ga-on.

Photographer : Lee Jin-hyuk.

Editor : Jang Kyung-Jin.

Editor : Jessica Kim.

Guest Bradamante

Song Kang Ho, Kwon Sang Woo go head-to-head with ‘Blue Salt’ and ‘Pain’

by MountainMadman

44010968.jpg

This fall is shaping up to be quite an exciting one for the Korean film industry; one of the pillars of Korean film, Song Kang Ho, and the conqueror of the small screen, Kwon Sang Woo, will be dueling head-to-head with their new releases, ‘Blue Salt‘ and ‘Pain‘, respectively.

Song Kang Ho plays the role of ‘Doo Hun’, a retired mafia boss in his forties, and shares a hard-to-explain relationship with ‘Se Bin’, a twenty-year-old who watches over his activities. The role is filled by television actress Shin Se Kyung.

“It was really amazing to see her exude self-confidence in the sudden transition from television to film,” Song Kang Ho said, describing his co-star. “I’d like to say that the Korean film industry has discovered a new actress. She’s so charming, she’s the only thing you notice when you watch the film. I even asked her, ‘don’t forget about me when you need a supporting character 10 years from now’.”

On the other hand, Kwon Sang Woo plays ‘Nam Soon’, a daredevil character who falls into a painful love with ‘Dong Hyun’, a character suffering from hemophilia and played by former Chakra member Jung Ryeo Won.

“Ryeo Won has acted in many movies, but I think she was most herself in this role,” Kwon Sang Woo said. “All actors and actresses have complexes, and Ryeo Won had a complex about how her movies all didn’t do so well. But I hope she’ll be able to overcome this complex with this film.”

Although both movies are about a cast-away man in a relationship with a woman, they approach the same subject in two very different ways.

“‘Blue Salt’ isn’t about fiery love between lovers. It can’t be exactly expressed as love, but I feel that it’s a move that shows emotions and a special compassion between a man and a woman,” Song Kang Ho said. “That’s why it’s appealing. If it was a straight melodrama, it would not have the appeal that it has.”

Compared to ‘Blue Salt’, ‘Pain’ is about the innocence of a first love. “A man and a woman in opposite situation fall in love and end in tragedy. It’s rough but innocent, crude but beautiful,” Kwon Sang Woo explained.

Representing the generation of 40′s and the 30′s, respectively, both Song Kang Ho and Kwon Sang Woo are hoping for success with their films. “Since I’m in my mid-40′s, I sometimes want to take the easy way out. I become interested in easy movies, safe movies,” Song Kang Ho reflected. “I think the time has come for me to actively combat such decisions. As an actor with a huge weight on my back, ‘Blue Salt’ was, for me, a challenge.”

Both films are slated to hit Korean theaters this fall.

Source: Newsis via Nate

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

January 30, 2012

Berlinale Culinary Cinema has Hindsight

Source: KOBIZ

PowJNuDcHMejHvNQAaAo.jpg

The 62nd Berlin International Film Festival (the Berlinale) has announced its Culinary Cinema 2012 program comprised of 15 films about food to include <Hindsight>from Korea. The 6th Culinary Cinema’s motto this year is “Trust in Taste”.

Directed by LEE Hyeon-seung, <Hindsight> stars SONG Kang-ho (<The Host>) as an ex-gangster trying make a clean start as a restaurant owner. While taking cooking classes, he meets and falls in love with a quirky girl (SHIN Se-kyung).

The film was released in South Korea Aug. 31, 2011 and screened in the Busan International FilmFestival’s Korean Cinema Today – Panorama section last year. Its screening at the Berlinale will be the film’s European premiere.

<Hindsight> will be part of the Culinary Cinema section’s late screenings that focus on social and ecological topics. Other films there will include <The Raw and the Cooked> in which Monika Treut documents the emergent green movement in Taiwan. <Canned Dreams> depicts the plight of all the workers who contribute to producing a can of ravioli, and <Lupe of the Cow> presents several small-scale Mexican farmers who master their harsh lives with humor and music.

Other Culinary Cinema films will be presented earlier in the day and after their screenings, renowned chefs will serve a meal inspired by the film.

“Food is a matter of trust,” Berlinale festival head Dieter Kosslick says about this year’s motto. “Consumers shouldn’t just focus on organic tags and finely printed labels, but above all trust their sense of taste. Taste is a matter of experience and that’s what you can also gain at the Berlinale’s Culinary Cinema.”

The Berlinale will be held Feb. 12 - 17, 2012.Other Korean films screening in the festival include JEON Kyu-hwan’s <From Seoul to Varanasi>, KANG Je-kyu’s <My Way> and KIM Joong-hyeon’s <Choked>.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Bradamante

Hindsight (2011) Movie Review

James Mudge February 10, 2012

Shin-Se-Kyung-in-Hindsight-2011-Movie-Image-600x400.jpg

“Hindsight” attracted a great deal of hype in Korea, marking the return of “Il Mare” director Lee Hyun Seung after an absence of over a decade. The film also whipped up interest thanks to its casting of one of the country’s most popular and acclaimed stars, Song Kang Ho (“The Host”, “Thirst”) as the male lead, opposite up and coming young actress Shin Se Kyung (“Acoustic”), with an accomplished supporting cast that includes another promising starlet in Esom (“Second Half”), veteran performer Yoon Yeo Jung (who recently impressed with a deadpan turn in “The Housemaid”), Chun Jung Myung (“ Hansel & Gretel”), Lee Jong Hyuk (“Parallel Life”), Kim Min Joon (“No Mercy for the Rude”) and Oh Dal Soo (“Detective K”). With its potentially odd central paring being woven into a tale of gangsters, revenge and uneasy romance, expectations were set high, though the offbeat film surprisingly met with mixed reactions from critics and local audiences.

Song Kang Ho plays Doo Hun, a top Seoul gangster who has retired to Busan, attending cooking classes with the plan of one day opening his restaurant. He’s partnered in the kitchen by a cute though bad tempered young woman called Se Bin (Shin Se Kyung), and the two gradually warm to each other and begin spending time together outside class. What he doesn’t know is that she has actually been sent by one of old his rivals to keep track of his movements, she having fallen on hard times thanks to her friend Eun Jung (Esom) running up an insurmountable debt. Things get more complicated when Doo Hun finds outs that his old boss back in Seoul has met with a suspicious accident and sets out to investigate, while Se Bin’s situation worsens and she is given the order to kill him.

Kang-ho-Song-and-Shin-Se-Kyung-in-Hindsight-2011-Movie-Image-3-600x378.jpg

It’s perhaps not too hard to see why “Hindsight” didn’t go down with some, mainly since its narrative is unfocused and does tend to meander, with a laid back pace that’s never afraid to take its time. However, in this respect, the film really isn’t too different to “Il Mare”, showing the same kind of thoughtful plot and character development, though this time with an air of menace and lurking violence beneath its calm surface. Aside from the fact that the film quite annoyingly opens briefly with its end scene, this approach works well, lending the proceedings a meditative feel, its shifts in tone never too jarring. Though it is fairly slow moving and prone to stretches where not a great deal happens, Lee does inject some well handled action scenes, including an impressively brutal knife fight, and several car chases and shootouts. This helps to keep things engaging, and the film is arguably all the better for having a looser, more lyrical feel than many other Korean blockbusters.

The film also benefits from its compelling and unconventional couple, with Doo Hun and Se Bin’s friendly gangster and angst-ridden assassin making for an interesting and winning dynamic. Song Kang Ho is on fine form, humorous and raggedly charming, and the decision to cast a far younger, dangerously cute actress in Shin Se Kyung pays off well, with her showing genuine screen presence and an ability to handle emotionally complex material. Lee keeps their relationship to an extent ambiguous and oddly passive, and while this may frustrate viewers looking for out and out romance, it fits the overall mood and script. Similarly, though their obvious age gap may initially seem off-putting, it reflects the film’s themes of the conflict between modern and old fashioned values and the cruel ruthlessness of modern society, also seen in its differing visual depictions of Seoul and Busan, and in its use of cookery as a warmly traditional practice that brings people together (a motif seen with increasing frequency in recent Korean cinema).

Shin-Se-Kyung-in-Hindsight-2011-Movie-Image-2-600x399.jpg

The film is visually very strong, with some gorgeous cinematography from Kim Byeong Seo (“Castaway on the Moon”), who adds an atmospheric blue tint and makes excellent use of the clashes between the various locations and scenery. Although aesthetically pleasing and poetic, it has to be said that the film does go a little too far at times, with some laughably gratuitous scenes of characters staring out at sunsets and the like, Lee occasionally being in danger of drifting into artistic pretentiousness.

However, tin the grand scheme of things this isn’t too much of a criticism, at least for viewers with a taste for these kind of moody atmospherics, and “Hindsight” really deserved a better reception than it received. Philosophical and beautiful, though tough when it needs to be and driven by a fascinatingly unorthodox pairing, it’s a film which will hopefully find a wider audience on DVD and will see Lee Hyun Seung not waiting quite so long before his next outing.

Hyun-seung Lee (director) / Hyun-seung Lee (screenplay)

CAST: Kang-ho Song … Doo-hyeon

Shin Se-Kyung … Se-bin

Jeong-myeong Cheon … Ae-kku

Min-jun Kim … K

Jong-hyeok Lee … Baek Kyeong-min

Esom Esom … Eun-jeong

Source: beyondhollywood.com

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Bradamante

Florence Korea Film Fest to open with Always

Feb 24, 2012

1-35.jpg

The 10th Florence Korea Film Fest in Italy has announced it will open with SONG Il-gon’s <Always>, last year’s Busan International Film Festival (BIFF) Opening Film. The festival will screen 32 feature films and 24 shorts during its nine-day run, and close with KIM Ki-duk’s <Arirang>, which made its world premiere at the Cannes Film Festival last year.

Set to run March 23 – 31 at the Cinema Odeon (Piazza Strozzi, 1) in Florence, the festival is organized by the Taegukgi – Toscana Korea Association. Sponsors include Korea’s Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism, the Korean Film Council (KOFIC), the region of Tuscany (Toscana), the city of Florence and the Film Institutions of Tuscany Region.

For the first time in Italy, the festival will also hold a retrospective showcase on top Korean actor SONG Kang-ho with nine of the films he has appeared in, including ones directed by BONG Joon-ho, PARK Chan-wook, LEE Chang-dong, and KIM Jee-woon. His latest, <Hindsight>, directed by LEE Hyeon-seung, will make its Italian premiere at the festival, and Song will be present after the screening of director HAN Jae-rim’s <The Show Must Go > to meet with audiences.

The Florence Korea Film Fest this year has also selected seven K-comedy films to showcase. <The Happy Life> director LEE Joon-ik has been invited to hold a discussion about Korean comedies as well.

In addition, out of eight Orrizonti films, director KIM Han-min’s <War of the Arrows> and JUHN Jai-hong’s <Poongsan> will have Italian premieres. OH Sung-yoon’s hit animation <Leafie, a Hen Into the Wild> will screen with cooperation from its Italian distributor.

The festival’s line-up includes four independent films and 24 short films from the Seoul International Extreme Short Image & Film Festival.

For more information, visit the festival’s website at www.koreafilmfest.com.

Source: koreanfilm.or.kr

Archived