[Drama 2011] New Tales of the Gisaeng 신기생뎐

Guest fanda4000

Guest mhugh

thanks michael again, and not forgetting us when you're so busy too.

i'm pretty sure the tea Damo got was Pu'er tea. not Barley. though it sounds almost exactly alike.

at first i thought it was barley when i was subbing too but i didn't think it made sense and the second time he said it i heard the difference. it was 보이차 (bo-yi-cha) for Pu'er tea and not 보리차 (bo-ri-cha) for barley. again, i only caught it because i had to sub.

also, if you ever have spare time can you sub at viki too. there's a lot of old sayings in here that i'm not sure i got right and it would be nice if someone can go over and fix some of them. the old sayings always get me, since my knowledge of Korean sayings kinda stop at elementary school level.

Well, I've always said that you're more knowledgeable than me. Thanks, dramaok. We do make a good team, no? :) I don't have time to officially join the viki team, but I'd love to help you in anyway I can. I may not be able to deliver every time, but I'll give it my best shot. I'll PM you to give my email address, and you can ask whatever questions you may have. Perhaps we can keep a two-way communication going in case I ever have any questions for you myself.

Thank You mhugh!!!!

YOUR officially our rock star!

Sigh! what would we have done with out u?

Probably pulled at our hair a little longer, until the subbing goddesses and gods took over.

Once again! Thank you .

Thank you, luvanya. Your kind words rock my world. Sorry, cheesy, I know, but it's too early in the morning and I'm rushing out to work. :)

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest kawaiiyuki

Gah! i don't want her to become a gisaeng. I know that it is needed for the plotline of this drama to work. but its just so sad for everyone. Sad for SR and DM, but so much more sad for SR's mom. how painful will it be for her when she finds out that her daughter SR, her only reason for living, has chosen such a lonely fate. If she becomes a gisaeng, I don't find it realistic that she can marry into DM's family ever. In which case this drama ending will just be too disheartening.

Boo. and i was totally enjoying the lovey doveyness between SR and DM. :(

I believe giasengs are allowed to get married and have a romantic relationship. I believe it was also explained in earlier episodes by head giaseng when SR and her friends visited the Giaseng house. For SR being a giaseng would just be a job. The only problem SR would have as a giaseng is how DM's parents might view her. If they believe that being a giaseng is bad then when DM and SR plan to marry or get engaged they would object, which might cause them to break up because knowing SR will not go on with the wedding/engagement unless his parents agree.

The only question is if the giaseng story line will take place before or after DM and SR make the relationship offical. I think it would be when DM and SR plan to take the next stop (as in marriage) and then his parents find out. Grandmother likes SR and thinks she and DM make a cute couple and even encouraging her to take the next step so i don't think she would have anthing against SR being a giaseng when they get married.

Guest fongfong123

I think Sara will become a gisaeng soon thanks to Rara. She will somehow cause Sara fail to get in the dancing company due to this Damo incident. Because of this, Sara's only option for a job is to work at the Gisaeng house.

Guest rainyrainy

Hi everybody , I watched all the 12 eng subbed epis during the weekend and I'm love with this drama eventhough 50 epi is too long .

the love story between damo and saran is toooo cute and I'm loving it but I know things will not continue this way especially now with Rara being jealous and bitter , she thinks she is the cutest and the most beautiful but damo didn't chose her but Saran and this won't pass just like that , she will cause the couple's break up I'm sure .

PS : can someone please answe my question , maybe the answer was given in an earlier page but sorry I'm too lazy to go back , sorry again , my question is , being a gisaeng does it involve any sexual meaning ( for example when I read the book " memoirs of a geisha and saw the film which both were excellent , being a geisha involved the fact of being a lover with sexual relationship but not a wife and correct me if I'm wrong here please my knowledge are only based on the book and film I already mentioned , is it the same for the gisaeng ? )

PPS : Michael I know it was your recap the second I read it , I'm big fan of ur instructive recaps which I descoved for the first time during secret garden days :) , thankuuu so much for ur much apprecialted efforts .

PPPS : let's make this thread alive with news and previews and pix from old or upcoming episodes , I really wanna help with that but since I don't understand or know korean I won't be of any help :(  so I rely on you dear friends for always bringing everything new about this drama and make this thread always active and I will help with my comments :)

Guest revengeoftheflowers

My mom said that in Korean culture that Gisaengs are basically reputed as High Class Hookers. Although they are revered for their artistic, cultural, and historical presence, they still maintain a seedy reputation. There are only a few Gisaeng houses in Korea now, but I'm not sure whether they offer sex. In the past, they certainly did. Some probably do, some probably don't. I think the one in this drama does not, because the main madame is very adamant about her pride and status.

Also, I think Sarang would rather kill herself than offer sexual services to anyone. She doesn't strike me as a girl who would do a job like that regardless of circumstances. Though I'm sure many men will try......

Guest kawaiiyuki

I think it was discussed earlier in the series that the Gisaeng house doesn't offer that kind of service to its customers, it primarily focuses on singing and dancing (we saw bits of it when Eo San & Joo Hee went there for dinner and in previous episodes as well).

Yeap i believe the we did get to see that a few episodes back. All the girls do is sing and dance. We also get to see the practice their dancing and even english for the forgien guest. The head giaseng did make it clear that they don't offer any sexual service since SR and her friends asked about that or thought about (since i don't think they asked outloud) but head giseng told them anyway.

Also agree that SR isn't the type of girl to work in that kind of place. Therefore if the giaseng house did offer that kind of service she wouldn't join. We also got that from when DM wanted to take her to a hotel/motel and she got out of the car and called him a jerk. She intended never to see or speak to him again but when he offered a no skinship contract in their relationship she decided to give their relationship a go.

Guest mhugh

I agree with all of your analysis. I think we are seeing eye to eye on the drama, but I think our reactions are just different. For me as long as a character entertains me, I will enjoy and like them regardless of their faults or misdeeds. Also, there are elements of acting abilities, charisma, appearance, and other factors portrayed by the actor. However, even on paper, I think Rara's dialog is pretty hilarious and the wiring of her thinking is just ridiculous. I can see how others would find her obnoxious, but I think she is amusing and cute! The actor herself is excellent at lighting up a scene, which I also find impressive.

I think I know what you mean, revengeoftheflowers. If all things were equal between Sa-ran and Ra-ra, as a guy I would probably choose Ra-ra over Sa-ran. As much as I love Sa-ran, Ra-ra is actually more my type, a girl-next-door beauty. As you said, I also love her vivaciousness, acting ability, and that certain fun element. As a villainess, she is pretty benign thus far, because only fault she has shown is that she’s somewhat spoiled, immature, and self-absorbed. I guess time will tell us whether or not she can be vicious and ruthless as well. I hope not.

PPS : Michael I know it was your recap the second I read it , I'm big fan of ur instructive recaps which I descoved for the first time during secret garden days :) , thankuuu so much for ur much apprecialted efforts .

Hi, rainyrainy. Welcome to our gisaeng world. :) And thank you. I really appreciate your lofty praise.

As a villainess, she is pretty benign thus far, because only fault she has shown is that she’s somewhat spoiled, immature, and self-absorbed. I guess time will tell us whether or not she can be vicious and ruthless as well. I hope not.

HAHA, as a villainess, she is not so bad and maybe kind of useless! But as a secondary or sub heroine, I guess she comes across as annoying and irritating!

Guest DarkSmurf

Hi Everyone,

New Tales of Gisaeng Episode 13 English Soft-Sub Subtitle is out.

New Tales of Gisaeng 1-13 English Subtitle can be found Community Translated Subtitle (CTS) Project:-

URL: http://www.darksmurfsub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/298-new-tales-of-gisaeng-2011-episode-1-12/

Please visit the link for more information about the Community Translated Subtitle (CTS) Project. CTS Project is about FANS helping FANS for FAST SUBTITLE RELEASE! Enjoy!

Warmest Regards

DarkSmurf

Guest kobe23

I also prefer RaRa over SaRan and I think the actress Han Hye Rin has a lot of potential. Come to think of it, I would love to see her in a light hearted romcom playing a role similar to that of Song Hye Kyo's in Full House.

I prefer Sa Ran over Ra Ra...

But... as actresses go...

I prefer Han Hye Rin over Im Soo Hyang

I get the impression that Han Hye Rin is more vivacious, mature, and comfortable with herself.

The maturity is natural, since she is two years older.

The acting chops... I'm still not sure about.

Both actresses are still green...

... and both seem to allow their own characters to leak into the role they're playing.

I think Han Hye Rin is more comfortable w/ herself because:

... In the earliest episodes ...

... I thought she was wearing comfortable underclothes beneath the Ra Ra clothes.

... Someone on staff apparently also noticed...

... And Ra Ra seems to be wearing thongs after the earliest episodes. :):D LOL

Update: E13 & E14

"New Tales of the Gisaeng (2011) ViKi Softsubs"

Subtitles brought to you by the:...

~ Team Gisaeng @ ViKi.com ~

ViKi Link: http://www.viki.com/channels/2238/posts/5320-new-tales-of-the-gisaeng-2011-viki-softsubs/edit

The softsubs are synced to 720p-HANrel videos.

They should work for any resolution HANrel videos.

The softsub links will be in folders...

MU Folder: "New Tales of the Gisaeng (2011) ViKi Softsubs"

http://www.megaupload.com/?f=AR7PN5W4

MF Folder: "New Tales of the Gisaeng (2011) ViKi Softsubs"

http://www.mediafire.com/?x4b6qe3e6u662

The individual MU links for the softsubs...

SSSNTOTG.E13.X264.720p-HANrel.ViKi.srt ((( glitch with missing 7-8 sec @~ 15:40 )))

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5VJV8JT9

SSSNTOTG.E13.H264.720p-CEO.ViKi.srt ((( no glitch or missing scene )))

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6HIA5XWI

SSSNTOTG.E13.XviD.360p-Baros.ViKi.srt ((( no glitch or missing scene )))

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LZBW0U1T

SSSNTOTG.E14.XviD.352p-HANrel.ViKi.srt ((( no 720p version available )))

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LZBW0U1T

Guest kawaiiyuki

Wow thanks for the subs. That was fast.

As for the girls being vilians. I'm not sure rr as of now makes a worthy vilian or conpetitor for DM's affection/revange (depending on how she takes the news of DM and SR dating.) If she was shown as a mature girl i guess that make her the same level as SR. But right now she's coming off as spoiled and bratty. I guess only episodes/time wil tell us how they do.

As for acting skills, they are still new so i guess with 30+ episodes hopefully we'll see she change their skills.

But as anyone noticed when SR is with DM she smiles more?

the villian-ness will be appearing soon..we need some villian to make hurdles for the couple ~

are they like going to show more of the Gisaeng house after SR entered it as gisaeng ...i think somehow she might enter out of a certain vengerance ? or due to some incident that force her to make this choice ?

i am curious to see how she enter the gisaeng house..but more so to see how damo will be doing to get her out. ~guess some imaginery scene of him in choseun period visiting the gisaeng house might happen lol

i wonder which will be worse ..daughter born out of wedlock or being gisaeng .how will da-mo family react.now even the gandmother seem to like SR .but will it change later

btw .they should show more of the SR's parents when young .i kinda of like those memoeries

BTS pictures

source SBS

6550_12994911745tYU.jpg

6550_129949114688cx.jpg

6550_1299491133Coj7.jpg

I don't think Im Sung Han will go into this direction, but if she's clueless about how to turn Saran into a Gisaeng, maybe she should kill off her adopted father? This could happen after Sarang and Damo break up temporarily over a small fight, which the stepmom finds out about. This could set the motions for a face heel turn complete villainous role for the stepmom as she wouldn't want to work so hard for her children as opposed to working hard for her hubby. And, then the adoption secret can be prolonged. Or he could lose his memories too and be under complete control of the stepmother. But all of this is TOO soap opera-ish, which I don't know if Im Sung Han would want. It makes for a rather uncomfortable viewing also.

Guest dramaok

for ep. 14.

the shark's fin crap is rather ignorant. it made Sa Ran come off as somewhat of a materialistic snob (to me) for buying into whatever Damo was saying about collagen and what not. what was the point of Damo feeding it to her? for sexual potency? or just.. ? he seemed rather annoyed the whole time they ate lunch too. and then they go and order a jjajjangmyun, the cheapest of all fusion sinokorean dish afterwards? say what? :crazy:

i wish she stopped at the birds (swallow's) nest propaganda (really? all the rich in Hong Kong eat this every morning?) another distaste in Sa Ran's comment. why did she say this to damo and grandma? i don't get it. i am fast becoming annoyed at Sa Ran. i guess she's just a book-nerd and trying to be helpful but i don't know it's not.. well i don't know.

yes, i know she's sexy, she's got really alluring eyes (and the makeup artist did an awesome job with the makeup) and all, but i never really thought she was jaw-dropping gorgeous. her overbite and large teeth kind of make her look a bit gaunt (to me).. but she does have super nice hair and figure. and her chemistry with Damo is great. :sweatingbullets:

I don't think Im Sung Han will go into this direction, but if she's clueless about how to turn Saran into a Gisaeng, maybe she should kill off her adopted father? This could happen after Sarang and Damo break up temporarily over a small fight, which the stepmom finds out about. This could set the motions for a face heel turn complete villainous role for the stepmom as she wouldn't want to work so hard for her children as opposed to working hard for her hubby. And, then the adoption secret can be prolonged. Or he could lose his memories too and be under complete control of the stepmother. But all of this is TOO soap opera-ish, which I don't know if Im Sung Han would want. It makes for a rather uncomfortable viewing also.

yeah this is actually plausible. but i think Im wouldn't d this in this case. however i think what you said reminded me something about Hwa Ja and her clueing in on the birthsecret of Sa ran, from the way Saran's fake dad was thrown off by the mention of conception dream. maybe Sa Ran overhears or something at some point and at the trauma of it, she leaves home and goes to Gisaeng house or something.

it's hard to incorporate the gisaeng story now that we're already 14 episodes into the drama. i guess the start was executed somewhat off. but since the title promises a story about the gisaeng, i think they will need to make Saran a gisaeng, if not for anything else, for the pride of the production team, at the least.

I think Han Hye Rin is more comfortable w/ herself because:

... In the earliest episodes ...

... I thought she was wearing comfortable underclothes beneath the Ra Ra clothes.

... Someone on staff apparently also noticed...

... And Ra Ra seems to be wearing thongs after the earliest episodes. :):D LOL

what? she's wearing thongs? how do you know? maybe i missed the joke. :blink:

btw .they should show more of the SR's parents when young .i kinda of like those memoeries

yeah me too. so sweet. :wub:

what? she's wearing thongs? how do you know? maybe i missed the joke. :blink:

No joke this time. :)

Unless it's about men's obsession w/ sexy forms.

... And women's attempts to satisfy that obsession. LOL

I, personally, only take academic interest in the study of dramatic artistic presentation. :)

I noticed at the beginning of the series... her outline wasn't smooth.

Now it is. :D

It was noticeable because Ra Ra is the only character wearing form-fitting outfits. :)

The study of Aesthetic Structural Sculpting

The study of Theatre & Arts

As engineers with peripheral association with Architecture...

We sometime view the human body as a structure that can use some aesthetic remodeling or sculpting.

Cultured men are interested in the Theatre and the Arts.

We view dramatic offerings with an eye on the aesthetics of the structures.

We tend to notice form as well as the function of the structures.

We pay attention to smoothness of forms.

We notice if clothes are used to lift, pad, or sculpt.

When looking at Korean Theatre and Arts...

The Arts are usually smoothly presented, and noticeable if they're not.

It is apparent that Korean dramas tend to use clothes to pad more than to lift or scultp.

The smooth outlines in the Theatre make it abundantly clear that padding are being used.

Built-in outline altering padding can be used in the Theatre to captivate men's attention. :D

Archived