[News] Drama, Movies, Actors & Actresses

Guest CindyW88

August 19, 2010

SS501 Kim Hyung-joon may sign with Kang Ji-hwan agency

Reporter: Park Kun-ouc Editor: Jessica Kim

2010081819013185708_1.jpg

SS501 member Kim Hyung-joon [DSP Media]

Boy band SS501 member Kim Hyung-joon is looking into signing with actor Kang Ji-wan's agency S Plus Entertainment.

An official at S Plus told Asia Economic Daily over the phone on Wednesday that they are reviewing whether to sign an exclusive contract with the singer which will support his activities in Korea, although emphasizing "nothing has been decided."

The official also explained, "S Plus' headquarters in Japan currently handles various affairs for Kim in Japan but that's different from signing an exlusive contract."

S Plus supports several 'Hallyu,' or Korean Waves stars in Japan including Song Seung-heon, Kang Ji-hwan and Lee Jun-ki, either managing their career in the country, creating their Japanese websites or promoting their businesses. If Kim signs with S Plus, he will become the third member of the five-man band to leave DSP Media, the agency his contract ended with in early June.

The group's leader Kim Hyung-joon was the first to find a new nest, signing with Bae Yong-joong's agency KEYEAST soon after his previous contract ended and Park Jung-min just last week joined CNR Media, a firm set up jointly by major Taiwanese drama producer Comic-Ritz and Korea's ROY MEDIA.

The boys have reassured fans SS501 will not disband despite going separate ways but the future of the band has been up in the air ever since. Other members Heo Young-saeng and Kim Kyu-jong too have yet to make a decision.

SS501 has been one of the most popular bands in Korea and in several countries in Asia since forming in 2005.

Reporter: Park Kun-ouc kun1112 @ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim @ <Ⓒ 10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia

• Replies 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

August 19, 2010

"Gumiho" becomes most-watched show in China

Reporter: Lucia Hong Editor: Jessica Kim

2010081912324542363_1.jpg

Poster for series "My Girlfriend is Gumiho" [sBS]

New Korean drama "My Girlfriend is Gumiho" starring Korea's most popular stars Lee Seung-gi and Shin Min-ah has become the most-watched show in China, according to the show's promoter IM Company on Thursday.

IM announced in a press release that the first two episodes of SBS series "Gumiho," which premiered locally on August 11, became the top show on China's PPS netTV [online TV streaming website] and on SOHU news.

The new Korean drama beat out a Japanese drama which was the previous No. 1 show on the website.

"Gumiho," a fantasy love story, is about Miho (played by Shin) who is a gumiho, a nine tailed fox that feeds on human livers, who was unleashed by Cha (played by Lee) after being imprisoned for 500 years.

The show was written by sisters Hong Jung-eun and Hong Mir-ran who previously wrote hit dramas "Minamishineyo" (SBS, 2009) and "Hong Gil-dong" (KBS, 2008).

It currently airs on the primetime slot on Wednesday and Thursday nights during the same hour as KBS '"Bread, Love and Dreams" and MBC's "Road No. 1."

Reporter: Lucia Hong luciahong @ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim @ <Ⓒ 10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia

August 19, 2010

Jang Keun-suk to wrap up Asia tour in Korea

2010081909453148678_1.jpg

Korean actor Jang Keun-suk for his final meeting of his Asia tour in Seoul [Tree J. Company]

Hallyu star Jang Keun-suk will be wrapping up his Asia tour in Korea next month, according to his agency Tree J. Company on Thursday.

A press release from Tree J. announced that Jang will end his six-month Asia tour at the Hwaseong Tiger Dome located in Korea University in Seoul through a final fan meeting titled "2010 Jang Keun-suk Asia Tour The Last in Seoul" on September 5.

The actor had visited numerous fans in Taiwan, Beijing, Singapore, Tokyo, Osaka and Hong Kong since March. "For six months I have received a generous amount of love from my fans all over Asia. I decided to add another date for the end of the tour because I didn't know how to say thank you to my local fans who have always been supportive of me, "Jang was quoted as saying.

An official from Tree J. explained that the tickets for the event was ranked as the most-searched item once tickets went on sale. He also said they have received inquiries from fans in Japan and China to purchase tickets for the meeting in Korea.

Jang, 23, began his career in show business at the early age of five as a catalog model. He is well-known for his roles in MBC's sitcom "Nonstop 4" (2003) and "Beethoven Virus" (2008).

He became a household name all throughout Asia last year as the eccentric lead singer of the idol group ANJELL in the hit SBS 'series "" Minamishineyo "alongside actress Park Shin-hye.

Tickets for his last fan meeting are available on Auction (www.auction.co.kr).

Reporter: Lucia Hong luciahong @ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim @ <Ⓒ 10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia

August 19, 2010

Micky Yoochun Debuts as Actor: ‘I Felt Pressure’

"I had felt pressure before I began acting.” -Micky Yoochun

In the production presentation of the KBS drama “SungKyunKwan Scandal,” which was held at the W Hotel located in Kwangjingu on August 17, Micky Yoochun confessed that he had felt pressure before he had made his debut as an actor. He seemed to be nervous as he said, “If the feeling was just the pressure that people tend to feel when they start something new, I would have felt glad, but it was more likely the pressure coming from the stress; I had a heavy heart before I began acting.”

Micky Yoochun will take a shot as an actor for the first time by playing the role of Lee Sun Joon, the only son in a noble family during the era of King Jeongjo in the Chosun dynasty. Sun Joon is a principled person with the sprit of scholarly fidelity and he combines both a good appearance and knowledge.

7485_1533_l.jpg

Micky Yoochun revealed that he himself had an open-minded and liberal personality, so he was far from a principled person, but when he considered that Sun Joon felt pressured from something unknown, he could say that he might be very similar to the character Sun Joon. He said, “The reason why Sun Joon had become a principled person was his father. I felt empathy with Sun Joon, who was feeling pressured by his surroundings. I also had felt pressure from my work so far. It was not the pressure originating from the feeling as a star singer, but it was more like the feeling that I was losing myself, which was not what I wanted to and intended to. But, I could reduce the pressure while I was acting. Right now, I am feeling very pleasant because I can act and involuntarily fall into acting while filming this drama.”

Since his debut in 2004, he has kept the top place as a member of the most popular male singing group, so adjusting to acting was not an easy task for him at all.

Micky Yoochun said, “As I am acting for the first time, I feel that acting for filming is totally different from acting for practicing. Expressing emotions is very difficult, but at the same time, it is very exciting. When I learned how to perform action scenes from the action director, I could picture the action scenes in my mind like dance choreography. But, as I cannot express the movement like the choreography, I tried my best to perform the actions like a real character by accepting advice from the action director.”

7485_1534_l.jpg

Regarding the name that he used in the drama title, Park Yoochun, he said, “I do not think that you need to differentiate the singer Micky Yoochun in the group Dong Bang Shin Ki from the actor Park Yoochun.”

And he did not hide his longing to stand on the stage as a singer. He said, “Not long ago, I held a concert in Japan and I could hold the microphone for a long interval after that. At that time, I felt a longing for the stage and singing. I really miss performances as a singer, and I still cannot get over the feeling of longing. My fans might have to wait for a long time from now on, and I hope that they will just enjoy this situation instead of thinking that they are waiting for me.”

Micky Yoochun said that he did not have any specific character that he wanted to play because he just wanted to be devoted to whatever role that he takes.

He said, "I have never cared about the viewer ratings. It is my first time, so I am very nervous. It would be very good if the ratings reach as high as fifteen percent. I do not have any desire for an award, but as I have already felt as a singer, I do not want to be listed as a nominee for any award if I do not win that award (laugh). But if I can win a prize with acting, the feeling would be very good and something new.”

7485_1535_l.jpg

Source: KBS Global

August 18, 2010

Panel: Korean films need new approach to international

U.S too risky without distribution deal, Roy Lee says

By Park Soo-mee

45640-Lee_Roy_341x182.jpg

Roy Lee

SEOUL – Korean films need "universal storytelling and ideas" in order to adjust to the changing media environment where users view their content through international outlets such as YouTube, Facebook and mobile phone,” said Mike Suh, the director of international finance and production for CJ Entertainment, at a local film symposium.

In “Korean Film Going Global,” organized by the Korean Film Council, Suh stressed the need for capacity and infrastructure to produce global content in order for a Korean film to survive in the international market. A drop in international sales and the plague of film piracy, however, are adding challenges for the local film industry, he added.

Yunjeong Kim of a Seoul-based film company Finecut examined case studies of Korean films that were sold abroad and presented different tastes of film genres in each continent. For example, 96% of a Korean arthouse film “Lion’s Den” was sold to European film distributors while 92% of a film starring hallyu (Korean wave) stars “Lovers Concerto” was distributed in Asia.

Kim added the following assets of marketing a Korean film: targeted approach, marketing films to fit the style of different film markets abroad, understanding the film’s selling point and uniqueness, expanding networking based on research and local infrastructure and building trust with distributors.

Roy Lee, the executive producer of Vertigo Entertainment, said more studios in the U.S. are producing fewer films each year with big budgets, instead using sequels, remakes or projects that are based on a pre-existing brands like comic books. He explained that this contraction of film production is mainly due to the dramatic increase in marketing costs in the U.S.

Lee also pointed dangers in international marketing, saying many producers rely on the film to eventually have a release in the U.S. market in order to cover for the cost when the chances of selling the film to a U.S. distributor tend to be limited.

“It is too risky to produce a film that is primarily targeting the U.S. market without having a distribution deal in place,” he said. “It is not a good business decision to move forward on a film assuming that it will eventually sell to a major studio or mini major."

Source: hollywoodreporter.com

August 19, 2010

Lee Byunghun says "'Devil' makes you think of what you get out of revenge"

Senior Reporter: Kang Myoung-Seok Photographer: Chae ki-won Editor: Lucia Hong Editor : Lee Ji-Hye

2010081917344982224_1.jpg

Korean actor Lee Byung-hun [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

The latest movie "I Saw the Devil" is not this year's best picture. However, it is certain that “Devil” is the year's most controversial picture. Throughout the movie there are many brutal scenes combined with director Kim Ji-woon's unique sense of humor, which has been receiving mixed reviews from the Korean film industry. Along with the results of the movie, one may wonder why actor Lee Byung-hun chose this project. Why would Lee, who has successfully made his debut into Hollywood, make a choice that is dangerous as a commercial film? 10Asia sat with Lee to ask him that question.

10: What is your thoughts on "I Saw the Devil?" I heard you were quite shocked after seeing the final production of the movie during the screening.

Lee Byung-hun (Lee): It's not to the point where I was shocked. (laugh) I did feel that it was different from when I had first read the scenario because the film doesn't reveal all of the cruelty and violence. I thought that this project was unlike any other revenge film and I felt this powerful strength from just reading the script. And then in the process of filming it, I thought, oh, this might turn out to be quite hardcore. I felt a bit burdened after the screening because I started to wonder how the audience had accepted the movie and I remembered the dark and serious atmosphere from set. I was in the waiting room with actor Choi Min-sik and director Kim after the screening and we didn't say a word to each other. Choi Min-sik said one thing to me though and it was "Hey, got a light?" (laugh)

10: How did you feel when the movie received a limited screening rating?

Lee: At first I thought someone was playing a joke but then I found out that it was true and I became curious about the movie from the audience's point-of-view. I was wondering how on earth the movie had turned out.

10: Choi Min-sik said that if he became more immersed in his role, he might have gone to prison. (laugh) How did you shake off your role? You had to do a lot of cruel things for this movie.

Lee: I didn't have any big problems with it. Every actor is different to some extent and I didn't really have any big problems other than the fact that my character's mannerisms would pop out from time to time. However, I still think about the movie a lot because of the lingering feeling I have from it. It's not because the film is cruel and violent but the feelings that I felt from it are still there even after I'm done shooting the movie. The hollowness and emptiness of wondering what had happened lasts for a long time.

10: What was the reason in choosing a movie that gives you that empty feeling?

Lee: I think this is a movie that shows how a person loses a sense of who they are after losing the one they love. It seemed like the unexplainable emotions that my character Soo-hyeon felt could be worth being questioned by others and that is why the scenario was appealing to me. Any other film that is based on revenge gives a sense of satisfaction but this movie gives viewers the feeling that they are getting lost in a maze as the story develops. The audience will wonder what one gets out of revenge after looking at Soo-hyeon.

10: Soo-hyeon continuously seeks revenge on murderer Kyung-chul even though everyone around tries to stop him. Why do you think he does that?

Lee: People usually think they have to get revenge on those who have wronged them. But I think people's mannerisms change during the course of revenge. I feel this movie shows that through Soo-hyeon. A guy loses his financee who is killed in an extremely brutal way by a murderer. Everyone says that person should be ripped apart to death. Soo-hyeon also feels that he has the right to do so but in the process of seeking revenge he disrupts himself on the inside. "Devil" shows the entire details of a revenge and that is why the audience might be repulsed by it. I feel that Soo-hyeon shows why one must feel a thrill out of it but also why not.

10: You didn't have many lines but had to portray your character through slight changes to his facial expression or action. Was there anything in particular that you had to keep in mind for that?

Lee: I always thought that even in everyday life, there isn't much variety to a person's facial expressions. As for actors, it’s their job to show emotions on the outside and deliver it to the audience so I feel that they somewhat exaggerate those expressions. But with movies, even if you put on an expression which is not as strong as expressions you put on in everyday life, the emotion will be delivered just by showing that emotion. Because at those moments, our faces are shown through the extreme close-ups on the screen. I believe that if that big face contains an emotion, it'll be delivered. I think it's more important to maintain the energy in the movie rather than focusing on what expression to show.

10: "IRIS," "I Saw the Devil," "The Good, the Bad, the Weird," and "G.I. Joe: The Rise of the Cobra" are full of action sequences. But they're all completely different in terms of atmosphere and style. Why do you keep choosing to take on these sort of movies?

Lee: I don’t have any specific reasons or plans. I'm the kind of person who decides on a project if I like what I read. But "G.I. Joe: The Rise of the Cobra" was a strategic choice. In the United States "G.I. Joe" was extremely popular among the public and I was told to just do it by many people. My agent in particular strongly suggested I do the movie. Advice that if I want to work on a Hollywood production, it is necessary to choose one like this played a big role. But I've selected other works entirely based on my emotions. I was in the highest state of confusion when I was working on "The Good, the Bad, the Weird," "I Come With the Rain" and "G.I. Joe." I separate my acting experience from before and after I starred in those movies. I used to put a lot of serious thought into choosing my next project before I starred in those movies but afterwards, I just throw myself into them. Now I'm more of a 'just do it' kind of guy.

10: How did that change come about?

Lee: I had a lot of concerns when I was filming "I Come With the Rain." I thought about it for a year because the production was delayed but I was also given the scenarios for both "G.I. Joe" and "The Good, the Bad, the Weird." I decided to work on "I Come With the Rain" at the time and I really wanted to do "The Good, the Bad, the Weird" too but it didn't fit my schedule. That is why I agreed to do the movie if they can work around my schedule and if I could star in the movie after I finished doing the first one. The director had agreed to it but it didn't happen. (laugh) I went back and forth between the sets for both movies so I ended up thinking I might as well just do "G.I. Joe" as well. (laugh) And I started wondering how many more years I have left to work passionately on various projects as an actor. It's better to do something and regret it later than regret not doing it at all. That is why I chose to do all three.

10: But those decisions saw great results.

Lee: Some people say that there's no question I'm an incredible strategist. (laugh) They say that it was great that I chose to do movies that were artistic and commercial at the same time. But I honestly chose those projects with the just do it attitude. So I think it all goes down to being lucky. There are important moments where actors have to make decisions and I think the result of those choices change the vibe that person gives off.

10: You are currently traveling several countries for your career. What are your goals for Hollywood?

Lee: First of all, I'm going to be working on the sequel for "G.I. Joe" which is scheduled to begin filming early next year. The industry there will then say this and that about me but I don't want to do a movie just because it's a Hollywood film. I know that I act the best in Korean and while I'm in Korea I will go abroad to shoot a movie if I am given a good opportunity. That is what I want to do.

10: What are you goals as an actor?

Lee: To become a trustworthy actor who seems to have some sort of other quality. I want to become an actor that people will want to see me in a movie just because I am in it even though they have no idea what it is about.

10: Wouldn't you say you have achieved that to an extent?

Lee: But "Devil" is just so violent. (laugh)

Senior Reporter : Kang Myoung-Seok two@ Photographer : Chae ki-won ten@ Editor : Lucia Hong luciahong@, Lee Ji-Hye seven@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia

2010081920215146341_1.jpg

2010081920235554102_1.jpg

Photographer: Chae ki-won ten @ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim @ <Ⓒ 10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia 1 l 2

August 19, 2010

Kim Tae-hee aims higher with new sports film

By Lee Hyo-won

1008191501.jpg

Kim Tae-hee, left, and Yang Dong-keun appear in a scene from "Grand Prix,"

which opens in theaters on Sept. 19./ Courtesy of Sidus FNH

The success of the blockbuster TV series "IRIS" seems to have prompted Kim Tae-hee to strive for more.

"Previously I wasn’t too conscious or desperate about the size of the audience or viewership ratings, but I’m feeling a little greedier after the popularity of 'IRIS,'" the screen beauty told reporters in Seoul, Thursday, while promoting her new movie "Grand Prix." Kim shared the pressure and hopes she felt about box office scores ahead of the film’s opening on Sept. 16.

"I usually feel relaxed after wrapping up a project, but this time I have become anxious and worried seemingly due to the heavy weight on my shoulders."

Such a competitive spirit drives Kim’s screen persona as well. In “Grand Prix” Jun-heui (Kim) suffers confidence problems since an accident during an equestrian race. She decides to call it quits and leaves for Jeju Island. There she meets U-seok (Yang Dong-keun), who is experiencing similar issues, and is encouraged to enter a cutthroat competition.

Yang Yun-ho, whose filmography includes "IRIS" and films such as "Holiday" and "Fighter in the Wind," directed the movie.

Kim said pressure was high during the shoot, since it was her first time to star in a piece where the heroine has a larger role than the male lead. For her part she met and interviewed actual female equestrians. "I think they possess pure, innocent souls because they work with animals. I tried my best to portray that aspect," she said.

On working with horses, she said she was initially fearful about riding one but fortunately there were no accidents. "I was able to discover the charms of horses as I spent four or five months with them. I’d like to continue horseback riding in the future," she said.

Meanwhile Yang replaced Lee Jun-ki in the film when Lee was drafted to complete his mandatory military service. The director said that the dynamics between the male and female characters was completely edited following the change in the cast.

For Yang the movie marks his comeback since serving in the army. "I wanted to work so badly during my military service. I guess you could call it a fervent desire for acting. This is funny since I used to complain by saying, 'I don’t want to work' or ask myself, 'Should I quit?'"

Source: hyowlee@koreatimes.co.kr

August 20, 2010

2010082000279_0.jpg

Actress Kim Tae-hee poses at a press event for her new film in Seoul on Thursday.

2010082000279_1.jpg

2010082000279_2.jpg

Source: englishnews@chosun.com

August 20, 2010

Proving appearance isn’t everything

Character actor Yu Hae-jin starred in four films that will be released this year alone

19213248.jpg

Actor Yu Hae-jin’s films “Moss” and “Desire to Kill” are already out here,

while his two other films, “The Unjust” and “Sleeping with the Enemy,”

are scheduled to be released later this year. [JoongAng Photo]

Actor Yu Hae-jin, 40, is far from a conventional good-looking man. The types of roles he has played reflect that: kidnapper, habitual criminal - even a dog. Though Yu is always cast in supporting roles, he often outshines his leading counterparts, gaining him the nicknames “quality supporting actor” and “the nation’s beloved supporting actor.”

And this year belongs to Mr. Quality. Two films featuring him, “Moss” and “Desire to Kill,” already opened over the last two months, and another two are scheduled for release this year: “The Unjust” and “Sleeping with the Enemy.” When asked what made him decide to act in four films this year, Yu said, “I read scripts as an audience member, not as an actor. If the story has the potential to become a good movie, I choose it.”

Yu spoke at a recent press conference held in central Seoul to promote Desire to Kill, which follows two men as they struggle to kill each other. “But another important factor was I could team up with veteran actor Chun Ho-jin,” the co-star of Desire to Kill, Yu said. “I’ve admired him for so long.”

Yu added that he had no difficulty building four different characters in one year. “As is the case with other actors, I read through the script again and again and try to immerse myself in the character. That’s how I build my characters.” In order to fill the complex role of Kim Deok-cheon in Moss, which is still playing in theaters nationwide, Yu isolated himself at a farm on Jeju Island for two weeks just to learn his four A4 pages of monologue lines, the actor said.

In Moss, Deok-cheon is an intellectually challenged local who serves as the right-hand man of the vicious village foreman Cheon Yong-deok. But the character faces a crucial moment after a four-minute monologue, where Deok-cheon vents his feelings toward Yong-deok. “I’d never seen such a long monologue in my life,” Yu said. “Once you make mistakes when you have to recite such a long line, you are bound to make errors again and again. So I had to perfectly memorize the line first. I kept wandering the farm for two weeks murmuring the lines. I found my white sneakers became jet black two weeks later.”

Yu finished the monologue scene with only one take, and he received applause from all the staff. “I was happy to finish the scene, and I also felt dizzy. When I received applause from the crew, I felt like I was standing on the stage receiving curtain calls.”

All over the world, there’s an unwritten rule in most movies: Appearance comes first, then acting skills. When as a young man Yu revealed his dream was to become an actor, even his friends snorted at him.

Yu succeeded in persuading movie industry people and picky audiences with his meaty acting. Yet now that he’s on top he has a humble attitude. “What it takes to become an actor is not all about talent. You have to think out of the box,” Yu said.

“Don’t let the audience expect you to act in certain ways. You have to show something to earn those expectations.”

By Ki Sun-min, Sung So-young [so@joongang.co.kr] joongangdaily.com

August 20, 2010

[movie REVIEW] A shocking look at the corrosive power of evil

2010081911405932532_2.jpg

2010081911405932532_1.jpg

After his fiance is killed by a psychopath, Su-hyun (Lee Byeong-hun) decides to find out

and torture the psychopath in extreme ways. Provided by Peppermint and Company

Buy tickets to “I Saw the Devil” directed by Kim Ji-woon, and you’ll step into a cinematic butcher shop.

The hardcore violence tops all previous Korean slasher films and is sure to get “Saw” fans’ blood flowing (unfortunately). In fact, a minute and a half of cannibalism reportedly had to be cut for Korea’s censors to agree to rate the film.

A serial killer named Cheol-jung (Choi Min-sik) brutally kills the fiancee of National Security Service Agent Su-hyun (Lee Byeong-hun) and throws chunks of the body into a river. Blinded by revenge, Su-hyun pursues Cheol-jung.

The plot begins in a very conventional way. What sets it apart is the nonstop blood splatter from beginning to finish. Choi even joked at a press conference that viewers should “bring umbrellas.”

The deranged killer uses a metal cane, an axe and a gallstone in his murders, as if squashing insects. He leisurely tunes a guitar in front of a mutilated corpse. As someone once said, humans are scarier than ghosts. The amoral psychopath wandering the streets looking just like anyone else sends a chill down the spine.

Already renowned thanks to his hit “The Good, the Bad, and the Weird,” director Kim has now forever made his mark on the Korean slasher genre. Answering questions about the amount of blood in his film, Kim said: “The movie only reflects current society.” Just last week, there were two murders, one in Chungnyangni near Seoul and one in South Gyeongsang, and the news of serials killers on the run has driven Korean civilians into panic.

The gore is indeed overwhelming, but unlike in the “Saw” films, it is not purely pornographic. At first, we cheer Su-hyun’s quest for revenge, but it quickly becomes clear that he has no intention of stopping, even at an eye for an eye. The cycle of bloodletting repeats itself, having lost its purpose.

The attentive, loving look on Lee Byeong-hun’s face as he sings to his fiancee at the beginning of the film is transformed into a blank stare, filled with cold, unquenchable hatred. In taking his righteous cause too far, he loses his humanity and becomes brutalized. The message, it seems, is that evil can turn any of us into a devil if we let it.

So, “I Saw the Devil” is better compared to “Oldboy” or “Battle Royale” - films in which extreme violence is used in the service of an idea that proves just as disturbing, if not more so, than the blood itself.

It is a well made film that features excellent performances from Choi Min-sik and Lee Byeong-hun. Choi’s frightening treatment of irreversible madness is incomparable, and Lee puts his action movie skills honed in “G.I. Joe” to good enough use.

Still, the movie’s unflinching realism - particularly its treatment of rape and violence against women - troubled me deeply.

Perhaps Kim’s message is that I should be happy that it still could.

By Seo So-ya Contributing writer [estyle@joongang.co.kr] l joongangdaily.com

August 20, 2010

[iNTERVIEW] Model and actor Kim Jae-wook - Part 1-3

Reporter : Choi Ji-Eun Photographer : Chae ki-won Editor : Lee Ji-Hye Editor : Jessica Kim

2010081919322937552_1.jpg

Kim Jae-wook [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

"I don't know where he went. Whether he went to the countryside by himself, whether he went to meet his mother, or he might've been on his way to commit suicide." This was Kim Jae-wook's explanation of his character Hong Jae-wook from SBS TV series "Bad Boy" who left alone, leaving everything behind. This man who had always been the first to take on the most 'hot' and trendy roles as proven in MBC drama "The 1st Shop of Coffee Prince" and film "Antique," always turned his back on the spotlight headed towards him. And he then showed a new side to him through "Bad Boy" by playing an heir of a conglomerate who is temperamental and acts the way he pleases, yet on the inside is actually craving for affection. But despite his jobs as being a model, actor and musician, the most attractive aspect to Kim is Kim Jae-wook himself. 10Asia took a peak into the interesting world that this 27-year-old man lives in.

10: It's been about two weeks since shooting for "Bad Boy" has ended. How have you been since then?

Kim Jae-wook: It feels like it's been more than a month. I did nothing but sleep. I'm tired no matter how much I sleep and the fatigue won't go away. When I'm working on a drama or movie, the thought that I'll get to meet so and so and do this and that when I'm done, is in a way sort of the hope and drive that keeps you going but now that I'm actually done, my body can't keep up. I feel lethargic about everything right now.

10: Does it have anything to do with the style of the drama or the role you played?

Kim: The thing is, it's hard to make a judgement on that. When I was done filming "Antique," there was definitely a process and time it took to shed off my character but I just wasn't quite aware of it when I was actually in that situation. You realize it once you let go of the character completely. Right now, I'm not sure. And put aside what others think, I myself sometimes wonder to myself whether I've already caught the actor disease when I'm not even anybody yet. Also, from a realistic standpoint, things didn't end the way I planned them to so that's also why it feels like I haven't come to a complete stop.

2010081919322937552_2.jpg

10: But of all the different work that you've done so far including modeling, music and even movies, dramas are the most popular genre. What was the response from people around you?

Kim: The funny thing is, I had monitored the show with Kim Nam-gil and Han Ga-in, and after the show goes on air, they'd receive piles of text messages from the chief of their agencies, friends, mothers... And they would say what was good and what was bad but never once did I get such messages. I guess I haven't lived my life properly. (laugh) When I talk to people around me for something else, they'd just say, "I saw you on the show briefly. You were pretty good." Even my own parents sent a text message once, after the first show, saying they saw me and when I asked later on why they wouldn't call me after the shows air, she said, "Why, do I have to? I saw you, I did. I just expected you to be busy." (laugh)

10: How was it working on Korea-Japan co-production "The Love of Pygmalion" with director Kim Yoon-chul? He's probably the person that thought the hardest about how to utilize an actor who isn't used to the TV camera.

Kim: I'm actually quite... the type that bothers the director a lot on set. It was like that with director Min Kyu-dong for "Antique" and with director Lee Hyung-min too. Other people might think we're fighting (laugh) but I'm always asking "Why?" But I never had to do that for "Pygmalion." I was cast for the movie in mid-December and we talked about every single scene so much, for almost a month and a half until we went into shoot, that my script was almost in shreds. Because we had talked about everything, I had a firm trust in him when I went onto the set so when the director says something, I'd say okay right away. I wanted to die because we shot under an extremely tight schedule but I think I felt very comfortable on set.

10: "Bad Boy" is almost the first time a role you've played has been involved in romance properly.

Kim: That's right. It was fun. I feel this everytime I take on a role but I'm very lucky when it comes to people so all of the actors were such great people that we came to be close enough not to misunderstood each other no matter what was said. It was very comfortable acting with them. And I actually become so close with Han that she said she actually felt uncomfortable shooting our kissing scene. (laugh)

2010081919322937552_3.jpg

10: In that sense, your relationship seemed like that of brother and sister rather than a man and woman.

Kim: I think it rubbed off from how I usually treat her. For example, if we were given detailed directions, we'd do what we've been told to. But in a situation where we have more freedom, it's up to the actors to show the changes in expression or create the atmosphere. If there's a kissing scene, there's a subtle change in the atmosphere before and after it, but it's no use calculating what you should do after that because what comes after that depends on how that kissing scene is shot. You could treat the other person more gently or become like a child. That's why we just concentrated on each other for each scene based on the most basic frame. We'd do ad-libs to the point that it wouldn't be problematic, that would change how the other person responds and then you start forming things that only you two know. We had fun doing the acting but I don't know what viewers might have thought of it. (laugh)

10: Have you been given a more diverse range of scenarios or projects since "Bad Boy"?

Kim: I was given a lot of roles along the lines of the pretty boy from "Coffee Prince" when that ended and then similar roles to the gay patisserie I am in "Antique" after that was shown. The funny things is, I was wondering whether things would change a bit after "Bad Boy" but I think I haven't been given very different roles yet. And I actually haven't been able to look closely into the scenarios. I think I'd have a hard time feeling, "Oh! I like this!" in my current state... It would probably be closer to "Ha... I guess I should do this one..." I think I won't have an easy time making new choices for the time being.

10: You lived in Japan when you were young so you pulled off your lines in Japanese very easily in "Bad Boy." Being able to speak a foreign language also means you're open to more opportunities. Are you interested in any other languages regardless of how practical it is?

Kim Jae-wook: I do think I'm much more interested than other people. And I really want to speak English and Spanish well but the problem is that the desire is stronger than the effort I put in. (laugh) I don't have to sound like a native, I just wish I could deliver my opinion, but I don't study it separately because I'm lazy. And I relieve my stress of having to study by watching "Friends." I turn it on, thinking I'll start by working on my listening skills, and end up just listening the whole time while moving around the house.

2010082010052249658_1.jpg

10: I heard that you spoke almost no Korean when you first returned to Korea around the time you entered elementary school. It must've been very stressful not being able to speak your native language at that age.

Kim: Hmm... This is from a very long time ago but my dad and older brother actually spoke Japanese well but not my mom. So me and my mom communicated in a very weird way and instead, I think I knew how to communicate with Koreans who don't speak any Japanese. I learned the Korean alphabet only after I got into school, while everyone else was learning what one plus one is, but kids young early at that age.

10: The strict rules and uniform system of Korean middle and high schools is difficult for even normal Korean students to bear. I heard you tended to ask many questions about irrational regulations regarding clothing or hair when you were in school. I'm curious to know how you beared through those times because such conflict leads to extreme clashes or the student quitting school.

Kim: Once, when I was in middle school, I told my parents that I might not go to high school while we were in the car on our way to eat out. My dad isn't the type that interferes with my life but for the first time that day, I remember him saying, "But still, how about you study humanities in high school?" And being able to join a band when I go to high school played a big part too.

10: You already knew you'd be able to?

Kim: Because my brother was a bassist at a band in Seoul High School. So I was thinking I'd go to Seoul High School too and join that band but I ended up being assigned to Dankook High School.

10: It seems like joining the band was more important to you than going to high school?

Kim: I think that was sort of was the case. (laugh) Luckily, there was a band with tradition at Dankook too so I think I probably stayed in school thanks to getting into that band. I actually wasn't even going to college up till my senior year of high school. I've hurt my mom before from not going to school. I wasn't the trustworthy student.

2010082010073374810_2.jpg

10: Were you under any sort of determination when joining the band? Or have any thoughts on what you'd do if you didn't get in?

Kim: No. I was only thinking that I must get in.

10: Did you think you'd get in?

Kim: ... Yes. (laugh)

10: How was the audition?

Kim: The auditions took place at a classroom, on top of the teacher's table. Unaccompanied. Students trying out as vocalists all sat in a row at the back and sang in front of the juniors and seniors one by one. I remember being extremely nervous because it was the first time I was singing in front of someone for a certain purpose. I don't think I was that nervous the first time I walked the runway.

10: You started modeling in your junior year of high school too. It's a very common job now but it must've been very rare that a high school student was a model back then.

Kim: That's right. I wasn't even interested in fashion then, all I wanted to do was music, and it started with one or two shots in a magazine. Somehow things got serious but it wasn't as if I had graduated an academy and I hadn't even learned to walk when I went on my first show. I was a mess. (laugh) Now that I think about it, I don't know where I got the nerves to do it.

10: Many people like you who like music, especially rock and are in a band, decide that music is their path and will be their lifetime job. You majored in applied music in college as well.

Kim: I think I was like that up till high school. I'm sure there are lots of people like me but I really blindly idolized Kurt Cobain. It was to the extent that I thought I want to die like him when I'm 27 after releasing just three or four albums. There was even a time when I had an inferiority complex about my family being so happy. I was an immature high school kid who used to try to rationalize by thinking, 'You need to live that kind of life to make that sort of music and release that sort of energy. That's the only thing I lack in.' (laugh)

10: But it seems like you've been making choices which show you're not swayed too much by what people say and just do what you think is important instead of what people say you're good at. Have you ever thought , 'I made the choice but quite tiring and difficult living like this'?

Kim: I haven't. I'd be lying if I said I've never thought that but if I hadn't [done what I've done], I think I would've had a much harder time. I think I would have been agonized everyday if I had made the wrong choice just because I didn't want to stand out and go with the flow of the times or submit to someone's pressure. And I don't want to live like that.

2010082010073374810_3.jpg

10: The entertainment industry is a place where you start building up on your career the moment your face gets known. But it seems like the way you have worked till now is to push out popularity or practical things as much as possible. Even with the image you gained from "Coffee Prince" or "Antique," people usually try to utilize that and make the most of it, not lay it aside. So it seems as if at one point, you might leave behind everything that you've achieved so far with no regrets, and disappear. What are the thoughts you have behind all that? I won't die even if I don't do this? I can become more happy doing something else?

Kim: I think it's actually the opposite. If I think about whether there is something I could concentrate on as hard as I do on what I do right now, there isn't. I once taught aspiring models for about a year. I'm not the type that is good at teaching people so I just told them about my experiences and once said, "Put aside money or reputation, I want to be someone who can quit my job when I can think, 'There's nothing more to suck out of me.'" Then one student lashed out at me saying, "Do you think that's realistically possible? Why are you trying to be so cool like that?" In a way, I think it's only natural that the student responded like that. But I do hope to be the principal agent of my life. I think that's the last string that I will keep hanging onto. I think I'd become a component the moment I let go of it.

10: But I think if you're in a system which tries so hard to turn people into components, it's hard in itself just trying not to become one. And people age.

Kim: Yes, as people age, they want more stability and there are things they have to protect. But there are too many things I haven't been able to do with the energy that I have right now. It's too early for me to say I can find another form of energy from that. As of now, I'm not sure whether when I'm in my thirties, that I will proudly be able to say 'I was like this in my twenties' or feel embarrassed about having been so immature.

10: But with music, especially if you're comparing yourself with someone like Kurt Cobain, I think it's a genre where you can see the limit of your talent very clearly. Have you ever thought of that?

Kim: I've felt it from a long time ago. I think it's an excuse to say I haven't been able to concentrate my energy on one field, that's just the lmit to what I can do but I cling onto it. And because that's when I feel the most alive. But I don't think I would've said all of this if I was younger. I had been living such a risky and competitive life till now that the moment I admitted to it, I might have become crushed. Now, I think I've become more at ease compared to then. And I both like it and dislike it. It makes me think whether I'm just becoming like everyone else, that I'm losing my uniqueness.

2010082010130715080_1.jpg

10: Well since you're done with the drama, you'll have to start your activities with band 'Walrus.' How did this come about in the beginning?

Kim Jae-wook: We're all friends from college. It started with the three of us but we didn't have a bassist so one person joined recently. I had always wanted to work with him and it turns out he finished serving in the military early this year so I half forced him to join. (laugh)

10: I heard that it's been nine years since Walrus was formed. You weren't able to pursue your activities as a band very actively so what was the driving force behind you remaining together?

Kim: I'm not sure about that either. And I don't know about the other members but I at least have never given up on the fact that I'll do a band. Added to that, I always thought, 'I'm going to do a band. I'm going to do it with these guys.'

10: I don't know if it's understandable for a third party but how is it that you're sure that it's 'these guys' that you want to work with? I'm sure it's not just an issue of being close friends with them.

Kim: Hmm... Well with drummer Tae-hyun, I thought that I should do with him the moment I first saw him when I entered college. And I got to know the guitarist a bit after that. I think everybody feels like this? It doesn't work with one-sided love. I'm sure there are vocalists who are much better than me and drummers much better than Tae-hyun but I just felt that I should work with him.

10: I'm sure you have a simple dream for your band, not as a model or actor.

Kim: Well, if I may tell you without any consideration of what my band might think, (laugh) it's my dream to go on tour like in the movie "Almost Famous." We'd all live together in one bus for months -- the members of our band, the staff and a reporter from a magazine. I think it would be impossible to do in Korea so maybe, if I may be a bit greedy, I think I'd be very happy if I could live like that for a few months in the Asian market.

2010082010130715080_2.jpg

10: You performed on stage a couple of times last year including at the Grand Mint Festival. How would you evaluate your band's perfomance?

Kim: I don't know. I don't look at what we did afterwards. It's not because I'm confident but because I'm not. When I was in high school or before I started acting, I had so much freedom because people didn't have the image of me as being 'actor Kim Jae-wook' but I couldn't find my tension in the two performances I did after that. The performance had to go with my music, mood and style but my body just wouldn't move well. It's not that I'm scared of damaging my image as an actor. But I'm aware of it. Ultimately, it goes down to me, my identity. Fundamentally, there's also the problem of not having rehearsed enough or not having certainty about my music. I don't know when I'll be performing again but I'm going to try not to be like that again. I'm very sensitive about such trial and error. I need to make sure that it doesn't happen again if I want to feel happy about it. And I need to monitor what I've done. I still block my ears and scream "Ahhhhhh I don't know, I don't know, I don't know!!" when my friends start saying, "Hey, I saw you on YouTube and..." (laugh)

10: But I thought that people who do work that involves showing many other people usually fall under strong narcissism. I think they don't have that certain aura about them without it. It doesn't necessarily have to be narcissism but do you think you sort of have something like that too?

Kim: I do. I think it's really hard to be in this industry without it. I talked about that once with actor Lee Sun-kyun while drinking with him -- whether someone without narcissism can do something by exposing themselves and make something that has no answer to it. And we came to the conclusion that you can't express something and show who you are without being narcissistic. But the word 'narcissism' doesn't give off such a great vibe in Korea. It all goes down to whether you change some form of energy into narcissism and while I think I mostly felt hostility and rebellious when I was younger, I think I've changed a bit now. I've become more broad-minded as well. I think it shows in the lyrics that I write too.

10: I think songwriting probably feels different from modeling or acting in the sense that you express your idea in text and deliver it through singing. In a way I think it's the most difficult job to mask yourself.

Kim: I think I show myself the most through music. Because it's a genre where you can so express everything so purely without any filtering. And that's also why I think it's the most difficult. It's difficult and I try to be careful with it. Maybe that's why it took nine years. (laugh) And it's also difficult because I didn't learn to write somewhere and I don't know how others do it.

10: You started working in your late teens and you're now in your late twenties. I would say that you've relatively taken a path that you've chosen for yourself. What do you think?

Kim: I had fun. And rather than finding satisfaction out of it, I really think 'I would've had a really hard time if I hadn't done it this way.' Back then it was a really small choice that I made but I think not giving up or stepping back changed a lot of things for me. I also think I'm lucky even with the fact I've gotten this far. I guess I'm lucky. I actually haven't changed by much compared to then. I've just become more sly so I act differently from then in how I try not to have people misunderstand me, dislike me and not think I'm weird. If I keep using my energy to express hostility or rebelliousness while living a life that others don't think is natural, I'll only be turning myself into an outsider. But I think I'm growing increasingly scared because I didn't used to feel much stress over this back then. Now, I have things I need to protect and support, and a small mistake I make can lead to causing big problems. So I do have migraines that I didn't have before.

2010082010130715080_3.jpg

10: Do you still become interested in different fields of work?

Kim: Yes, I've had so many dreams since I was young. A police officer, cook, archeologist and I've also wanted to save penguins in the South Pole. But there's only a limited number of things one can do in their lifetime. And even though I know that, there are still new things that pop into my mind. I recently became an avid fan of the Spanish national football team. And I though, 'Is it too late to start soccer at 27?' I wanted to become a national soccer player of the Spanish team rather than wanting to play soccer. And I'm Korean! (laugh) So I just bought their home and away uniforms. I wear it when I'm at home and when I workout. I actually like baseball the most but I play a lot of soccer these days.

10: What do you think you need to live with the minimum amount of satisfaction?

Kim: I think it's people. The energy that is made during the time I spend while I'm alone is created during the time that I don't spend alone. So I think ultimately, you gain the most from people and you can't do anything without them.

10: Then what is the virtue you consider the most important of people and what would you never look past?

Kim: Hmm... This is difficult. There are many things I feel instinctively everyday when meeting people but I don't think I've ever put them into words. And of course there are a lot of things I wouldn't approve of. But I'll talk about this again when we do an unlimited interview. (laugh)

Reporter : Choi Ji-Eun five@ Photographer : Chae ki-won ten@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@, Lee Ji-Hye seven@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia 1 l 2 l 3

August 20, 2010

Confucian institute protests over drama's scandalous title

20100820150443bodyfile.jpg

SEOUL, Aug. 20 (Yonhap) -- Producers of a new KBS flagship drama series, "SungKyunKwan Scandal," hit an unexpected snag Friday as the centuries-old academic institution where the title derives its name protested, saying the drama's title is defamatory against it.

Choi Gun-duk, head of Songkyunkwan, established in 1398 as the highest educational institute for the Joseon Dynasty, demanded the national broadcaster change the drama's title, saying it's nonsense to associate the disgraceful word "scandal" with its Confucian heritage. The drama's English title is spelled differently but comes from the same Korean name.

"Songkyunkwan has been the sole national university of our traditional society where leaders of the nation were trained," Choi told reporters. "How could they attach the word 'scandal' to such a place? This is defamation." Choi expressed displeasure at the broadcaster's "haughty" attitude, saying it failed to respond to his complaint sent about 10 days ago.

"SungKyunKwan Scandal," set to premiere on Aug. 30, is a novel-based period drama portraying love and conflicts between students of noble families and troublemakers during the Joseon era. Its cast has drawn public attention, with Micky Yoochun, a member of idol group Dong Bang Shin Ki, making his drama debut as the lead actor.

"Songkyunkwan students studied much harder than students these days, and their ethical virtues were high," Choi said. "They say there's no legal problem with the title, but it's an ethical issue that's beyond law."

Kwag Ki-won, the drama's chief producer, said the title will stay, considering the fair amount of publicity given to it and the drama's pre-sale to Japan. But the broadcaster will try to get consensus from Choi and other elderly members in the Confucian institute, he added. "The difficult part is that the complaint comes from seniors of our society, so we feel troubled on moral grounds. But producers say a lot has been done for this drama and it's difficult to change the title at this stage," Kwag said.

Songkyunkwan now serves as a public research body for Korean classical studies. Separately, there is a private school in Seoul, Sungkyunkwan University, whose name was also taken from the historic institute but which has no relation to it.

Source: hkim@yna.co.kr yonhapnews.co.kr

Confucian institute asks KBS to change drama title

By Kang Shin-who

Sungkyunkwan, Korea’s traditional Confucian institution, is protesting to the state-run KBS for the title of its new drama series, “Sungkyunkwan Scandal.”

Choi Gun-duk, head of the centuries-old academic institute, requested the broadcaster to change the name, claiming it is defamatory. Choi sent a letter to the broadcaster 10 days ago to express his dissatisfaction with the title, but KBS failed to reply.

The English title of the drama is spelled slightly differently but comes from the same Korean name. The highest educational institute during the Joseon Dynasty was established in 1398. “It’s nonsense to associate the disgraceful word ‘scandal’ with the Confucian heritage,” Choi was quoted as saying. “Sungkyunkwan is the sole national university from our traditional society where past leaders of the nation were trained.”

“How could they attach the word ’scandal’ to such a noble place? This is defamation,” he added.

The drama, scheduled to begin airing on Aug. 30, is a period drama portraying love and conflict between students of noble families and troublemakers during the Joseon era. Mickey Yoochun, a singer of pop group Dong Bang Shin Ki, is the main actor in the drama, making his television debut.

KBS producers said they have no plans to change the name, saying, “Drama titles should be understood as part of artistic creativity, but it seems to have been taken too seriously and sensitively.”

Source: ksw@koreatimes.co.kr

August 20, 2010

Ku Hye-sun reveals picture with T-MAX members

Editor: Lucia Hong

2010082009545082865_1.jpg

T-MAX member Shin Min-chul, actress Ku Hye-sun and Kim Jun [Official Ku Hye-sun Twitter site]

Multi-talented star Ku Hye-sun has given fans an update on her recent activities, revealing a photograph of herself with members of boy band T-Max.

Earlier today, Ku uploaded a photo on her official Twitter site (http://twitter.com//koohs) where she is seen sporting a shorter hairstyle and donning a shirt written T-MAX with the band's members Kim Jun and Shin Min- chul.

She added a comment saying, "I'm currently at the 'Boys Over Flowers' reunion in Japan. I'm going to play baseball wearing the T-MAX t-shirt that Jun gave me as a present. I think that I' ll have to wear it on my way back to Korea too. "

"Boys Over Flowers," originally a popular Japanese comic series, became a hit series when it first aired in Korea last January. The show drew in a huge audience in the neighboring Asian countries such as Japan, China, Taiwan and Southeast Asia.

The cast members including Ku, Kim Hyun-joong, Kim Bum and Kim Jun were invited for the "Boys Over Flowers" reunion which was held in Osaka two days ago and in Tokyo on August 21.

Ku, who planned to make a debut as a singer under major talent agency YG Entertainment, began acting in several TV series and made a breakthrough with a role in "Pure in Heart" (KBS, 2006).

The actress became a household name throughout Asia with her role as Geum Jan-di in the mega-hit TV series "Boys Over Flowers." She is also a talented singer and songwriter, artist, novelist and scriptwriter.

She will be returning to the small screen in the upcoming TV series "The Musical," in which she plays a medical student who dreams of becoming a musical actress.

Reporter: Choi June-yong yjchoi01 @ Editor: Lucia Hong luciahong @ <Ⓒ 10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia

August 20, 2010

Gong Yoo to promote "Coffee Prince" in Japan

2010082014092635116_1.jpg

Korean actor Gong Yoo [NOA Entertainment]

Korean actor Gong Yoo will promote hit Korean TV series "The 1st Shop of Coffee Prince" in Japan this weekend, according to his agency NOA Entertainment on Friday.

NOA announced that Gong Yoo was invited by Fuji TV to attend an event titled "Coffee Prince 1.5th Shop IN United States of Odaiba" at Odaiba in Tokyo on August 22, where he will meet with about 2,000 fans to speak about filming the drama and participate in quizzes and games. He will then hold a press conference with local media including Yomiuri Shimbun, Hallyu Pia and Hanako.

The following day, Gong Yoo will make an appearance on Fuji TV's live variety program "Waratte Iitomo!" and appear on several radio talk shows such as Mnet Japan, BS Broadcast and Rainbow FM.

"Coffee Prince" made its premiere in Japan on August 11 as part of Fuji TV's "Hallyu Alpha Summer Festival," airing for the first time after it finished its run in Korea three years ago.

Fuji TV has shown other hit dramas for the drama fest including SBS '"Minamishineyo" and "Shining Inheritance."

Gong Yoo, whose real name is Gong Ji-cheol, made his debut in KBS TV series "School 4" in 2001. He has appeared in more than a dozen dramas and films including "My Tutor Friend," "S Diary" and "She's On Duty."

He first became a household name throughout Asia in the 2005 SBS 'drama "Hello My Teacher" and in "The 1st Shop of Coffee Prince" with actress Yoon Eun-hye.

August 20, 2010

Actress Lee Yu-ri to marry next month

Reporter: Kang Geyong-rok Editor: Jessica Kim

20091126155909041157412_00000002_1_PA.jpg

Actress Lee Yu-ri [Asia Economic Daily]

Actress Lee Yu-ri will be getting married next month, according to her agency PAN Entertainment on Friday.

An official at PAN said the 28-year-old actress will tie the knot with a missionary studying theology through a private wedding in Seoul on September 6.

The official explained that the two had been friends since 2008 after meeting at bible study and started dating last year. "I have met the person I want to spend the rest of my life with. I promise you that I we will love our life loving and understanding each other as well as being loving to others," Lee was quoted as saying.

Lee has appeared in close to a dozen dramas since debuting in 1999 including "Loving You," "Yellow Handkerchief," and "Mom has Grown Horns."

Reporter: Kang Geyong-rok rock @ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim @ <Ⓒ 10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia

August 20, 2010

Kim Tae-hee says greedy about success after "IRIS"

Reporter : Ko Kyoung-seok Editor : Jessica Kim

2010082017184605806_2.jpg

Actress Kim Tae-hee speaks during a press conference for film "Grand Prix" held at a Megabox theater in Seoul, South Korea on August 19, 2010. [Han Youn-jong/Asia Economic Daily]

Actress Kim Tae-hee has said she has become greedy about seeing the productions she stars in do well after the success of last year's TV series "IRIS."

"I never dwelled on movie admissions or TV ratings before but I've started to become greedy about them after seeing 'IRIS' become a hit," the 30-year-old actress said to reporters during a press conference for her upcoming film "Grand Prix" on Thursday. "I used to just rest comfortably, my mind at peace, after I'm done filming but this time, I've been feeling very nervous and worried a lot as well," she added.

"IRIS" became a national phenomenon in Korea last year for its intense storyline, global location shoots and a star-studded cast including actors Lee Byung-hun, Kim So-yeon and Jung Joon-ho.

The drama sparked a frenzy among viewers around the country and dominated weekly TV ratings charts during its two-month run.

"Grand Prix," also starring singer and actor Yang Dong-geun, is about two jockeys who befriend each other while competing in the grand prix with a new horse.

The pic is set for a release around the Korean thanksgiving holidays in late September.

Kim, rose to fame after appearing in the hit SBS TV series "Stairway to Heaven" in 2003 alongside Hallyu stars Kwon Sang-woo and Choi Ji-woo and has since appeared in several dramas and movies.

Yang, who debuted as a hip-hop singer, is known for playing unconventional characters with his unique style of acting. He is making his acting comeback after more than two years through "Grand Prix" -- he was discharged from the army a few months ago after fulfilling the country's mandatory two-year military duties.

Reporter : Ko Kyoung-seok kave@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia

[PHOTO] "Grand Prix" main cast pose at press conference

2010082017155590772_1.jpg

Actress Kim Tae-hee poses at a photocall during a press conference for film "Grand Prix" held at a Megabox theater in Seoul, South Korea on August 19, 2010.

2010082017155590772_2.jpg

From left, actress Kim Tae-hee and actor Yang Dong-geun pose during a photocall of a press conference for film "Grand Prix" held at a Megabox theater in Seoul, South Korea on August 19, 2010.

2010082017124376593_1.jpg

From left, actor Yang Dong-geun and actress Kim Tae-hee attend a press conference for film "Grand Prix" held at a Megabox theater in Seoul, South Korea on August 19, 2010.

2010082017101864699_1.jpg

Actress Kim Tae-hee arrives on stage for a press conference for film "Grand Prix" held at a Megabox theater in Seoul, South Korea on August 19, 2010.

Photographer: Han Youn-jong hyj0709 @ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim @ <Ⓒ 10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia 1 l 2 l 3

August 20, 2010

Shortlist unveiled for Seoul International Drama Awards

20100727_1280198241.jpg

SEOUL, Aug. 20 (Yonhap) -- The Seoul International Drama Awards' organizing committee on Friday unveiled a shortlist of candidates for a slew of awards to be bestowed next month at the annual international event.

The awards ceremony, set for Sept. 10 and hosted by The Korean Broadcasters Association, drew 172 entries from 43 countries.

Six dramas were nominated for Best Director: "Homecoming" from Taiwan; "The Summit" from Canada; "Desperate Parents 2" from France; "Park Road" from Denmark; "Father & Son" from Ireland; and "The Pleiades" from China.

20100820164016_bodyfile.jpg

Lee Byung-hun, who played a security agent against North Korean infiltrators in the KBS hit drama "IRIS," is one of the seven candidates vying for Best Actor. Other contenders are James Cromwell of "The Last Days of Lehman Brothers" (Britain); Ivailo Hristov of "Ruth" (Bulgaria); Carl-Kristian Rundman of "Easy Living" (Finland); Mark Harmon of "NCIS" Season 7 (U.S.); Julio Chavez of "Be Kind to Me" (Argentina); and Dougray Scott of "Father & Son" (Ireland).

The seven nominees for Best Actress are: Adrienne Pauly of "The Killer Queen" (France); Abbey Hoes of "Maite Was Here" (Netherlands); Machiko Ono of "Goldfish" (Japan); Margot Ros and Maike Meijer of "Tower C" (Netherlands); Erin Karpluk of "Being Erica" Series 2 (Britain); Yuko Tanaka of "The Pleiades" (China); and Susan Roces of "A Christmas Hope" (Philippines).

tn_1282270562_-513691691_0.jpg

This year, the organizers created the new Korean Wave Special Prize category that was selected through a vote by local and foreign correspondents here and people in the drama industry. "The Slave Hunters" swept the section with the Grand Prize, Best Actor, which was shared with "IRIS," and Best Director.

Best Actress was shared by Ko Hyeon-jung of "The Great Queen Seondeok" and Han Hyo-joo of "Shining Inheritance."

August 22, 2010

Micky's challenge: from idol to actor

By Han Sang-hee

100822_p16_micky2(2).jpg

Park Yoo-chun, known as TVXQ member Micky,

will take a new challenge as actor

for his first-ever drama “Sungkyunkwan Scandal.”

Transforming from an idol to an actor can be tricky.

Not only does it require superb acting skills to wash away that idol image, but he or she must go through worries, criticism and also harsh self-discipline. Amid the numerous crossovers of young and determined stars, a particularly famous one is aiming to captivate viewers with his never-before-seen acting.

Dressed in "hanbok," or traditional Korean clothes, TVXQ member Micky (real name Park Yoo-chun) looked proud, yet a bit nervous to represent his first–ever drama "Sungkyunkwan Scandal" at a press conference held at the W Hotel, northern Seoul, last week. The doll-faced 24-year-old will appear as Lee Sun-jun in the period drama and work with fellow actors Park Min-young, Song Joong-ki and Yoo Ah-in.

The soap is a "campus romance drama," according to the production company, and will bring Korean history, comedy and romance to the small screen. Korean period dramas have not only been popular here, but also overseas, and they tend to have certain patterns: traditional dress, ancient Korean vernacular, love triangles, and the inner struggle between personal goals and traditional traits.

"Sungkyunkwan Scandal" is no different. The heroine Kim Yoon-hee, played by Park Min-young, has been responsible for her household after her father died and brother became ill in the busy times of the Joseon Kingdom (1392-1910). She decides that the only way for her to not worry about food and money is to disguise herself as a man and try for the state examination and become a court official. She enters Sungkyunkwan, or a Confucian Academy, to study and meets fellow classmates: the strict and handsome Sun-jun, the playboy Koo Yong-ha (played by Song) and the rough and wild Moon Jae-shin (played by Yoo). The journey begins as Kim, a pretty-faced student in disguise, struggles to fulfill her dream to become an official and hopefully discover true love along the way.

The biggest concern is not the familiar storyline or good looking stars dressed in colorful hanbok, but the acting. The four main actors are relatively young ― all are 24 except for the 25-year-old Song ― and have not made lasting impressions in their acting careers as yet. Additionally, period dramas are known to be especially tricky due to the old-fashioned dialect and behavior.

Despite these worries, the drama’s producer Kim Won-suk expressed his confidence in working with the young actors, especially Park Yoo-chun. "Park was already on the team when I decided to helm the drama. But if I had the chance to pick the actors again, I would have picked him. I know many people are looking forward to, and are also worried about his acting, but I can tell you all that he is doing great," Kim said.

Park also had to deal with the interest and pressure put on him, though he did a pretty good job in keeping a straight face and calmly answering questions regarding his lack of acting experience.

"Of course, being my first work and all, I thought about my acting a lot. I think this was a chance where I discovered a new me. The staff were generous enough to pick me for the role," he said smiling. "I have been dancing for a long time, and I had a pretty tough time realizing that the martial arts sequences were not to be shown as choreography. I have been immersed in the drama and although it’s been tough with the weather and the bugs, it’s been fun," Park added.

It was hard not to notice the enormous interest showering the star. Even the press conference was a bit overdone. The event seemed to have lost its true purpose and turned into a promotional circus. It included two fashion shows; one by 2009, 2010 Miss Korea contestants and models and another by the actors themselves. The hanbok display was, indeed colorful and beautiful, but there was nothing different from those seen in previous and even current historical series.

A preview screening is one of the most important channels that uncovers the gist of the drama and also help the press understand the storyline easier and faster. The 8-minute highlight video was not enough to bring out the overall vibe of the work. It took an hour and a half to finally bring out the actors and producer to the table for a Q and A session.

Micky was introduced as "Park Yoo-chun" from start to finish, probably because he really wants to turn over a new leaf. The TVXQ member may have found it interesting to discover the actor within, but it will take a bit more than generosity and soul searching to spearhead a full-length drama, especially when all eyes are on him. Will he be able to shine in the spotlight? Fans will find out on Aug. 30 at 9:55 p.m.

Source: sanghee@koreatimes.co.kr

August 22, 2010

Local film industry cites need for Hollywood money

U.S. legislator to receive honorary doctorateSouth Korea, U.S. begin war gamesBeckham’s sister on state financial aid

To resuscitate the ailing local film industry, it must get into bed with Hollywood to co-finance and co-produce films, industry insiders said in a forum Friday.

From its struggles with online piracy, sharp contraction in overseas distribution and sales, and “a failure to get on board the emerging trend of multimedia convergence,” doom and gloom were the words to describe the future of the local film industry during the “Korean Films Going Global” forum at the Korea Chamber of Commerce in Seoul, Friday.

“Unless the Korean film industry begins globalizing through co-financing, co-production, and content sharing with Hollywood, it will continue its course of decline,” said Seo Hyeon-dong, team leader of CJ Entertainment’s overseas investment and production division.

CJ is the current market leader among all major film studios having captured 27.3 percent of the market share this year from its closest rivals Showbox, Mediaplex, and Lotte Entertainment. 

Of the industry’s dire situation, Seo added that in order for the local film industry to bounce back “we must come up with content that is accessible to the world ― not just among Koreans.” “With the global film industry going digital, restrictions have been brought down and boundaries broken, and the industry has become one market.” Social networking and online content sharing sites such as Facebook and YouTube were mentioned during the conference as important factors in film marketing and promotion in addition to content development.

Seo added, “with the likes of YouTube, Facebook, and the iPhone ― where people all over can receive and share content ― the ability to seize the opportunity that such outlets can provide has become crucial in the development of ideas as well as for the industry’s survival.”

On the continuing spread of online piracy, illegal distribution, and a reduction in overseas sales of Korean films this year, Seo said “Adding to the industry’s current crisis are paralyzing factors such as online piracy, illegal content distribution, and a contraction in overseas sales of our films.”

20100822000172_0.jpg

Zhang Zhen and Hong Joo-ah in “Breath”

According to latest industry reports, there’s been a two-fold increase in illegal film distribution since 2006 when there were an estimated 36,000 piracy cases reported. In 2008 alone, the cost of damage from over 67,000 cases was estimated at 710 billion won. More alarming has been the sharp decline in export sales of local films as foreign distributors have been giving Korean films the cold shoulder.

20100822000173_0.jpg

Jung Woo-sung in “The Good, the Bad, and the Weird”

Compared to the $76 million worth of film distribution rights sold to overseas markets in 2005, only a fraction of that amount was seen in 2008 with just over $20 million.

This year, it hasn’t gotten any better.

Based on reports from the Cannes International Film Festival earlier in May, only a handful of Korean films were sold to overseas distributors at the film market during the event. Of them, Kim Ji-woon’s western, “The Good, The Bad, the Weird,” was sold to distributors in France and the U.K., while Kim Ki-duk’s “Breath” was sold to the U.S. and the U.K.

20100822000174_0.jpg

Lee Byung-hun in “I Saw the Devil”

They were the only two films foreign distributors purchased.

Adding to the industry’s concerns have been recent reports that annual theater attendance from movie-goers have been down since the previous year despite revenues reaching a record high on the back of the success of 3-D fare like “Avatar” and “Alice in Wonderland.”

Local cinemas saw a 14.6 percent spike in their total box office take over the same period last year while the number of admissions at multiplexes was down 3.9 percent, according to a recent report by the Korean Film Council.

Seo went on to declare that China’s film industry ― a country whose industry remains outside of the top 15 countries ― would overtake Korea by 2020. Korea is ranked by market analysts within CJ Entertainment at 11th in the world, behind U.S. at first, Japan at second and the U.K. at third.

20100822000175_0.jpg

Won Bin in “The Man from Nowhere”

“The Chinese film industry is benefiting from a synergy effect due largely to the mass exodus of the Hong Kong film industry’s talent pool to mainland China,” Seo said. “As it looks now, the Chinese film industry will crack the top 10 before Korea does, by the year 2020.”

To prevent the continuing decline of the Korean film industry Seo added, “our industry must come up with ‘global films’ ― films that can be applicable to a world audience. In order for this to be possible, we must link up with Hollywood studios to co-produce and co-finance films.”

Roy Lee, co-founder and producer at Vertigo Entertainment said during his keynote address that the feeling is mutual for Hollywood film studios as they too are seeking co-financing opportunities. He said major studios in Hollywood are also keen on the prospects of co-financing with studios from other countries to lessen their financial burden.

Lee added that this decision to reduce output has seen a steep contraction in film productions by American studios because of the dramatic increase in marketing costs and “the collapse of the DVD market.” “In the past, the studios financed their films with the belief that they could count on a certain amount of revenue generated by the DVD release,” Lee said.

“At one point, the revenues generated by a film on DVD would match or even exceed the amount of revenue generated by the theatrical release. Now that the studios cannot rely on the revenue stream of the DVD release, it has caused the studios to reduce the amount of money they would typically use to fund the film production.” Lee is credited for ushering in the Asian remake boom that started with the American version of the Japanese horror film, “The Ring” in 2002.

Lee Joo-ick, CEO of Boram Entertainment also spoke of the non-existent home entertainment market in Korea contributing to the decline of the film industry. He stated Korea had a “less than spectacular DVD and home entertainment market to begin with,” and added “in Japan, DVD sales have not dwindled as there is strong demand in content for the home entertainment industry. Japanese investors can recoup costs through ancillary revenue generated by DVD sales.”

“This is in contrast to the Korean film industry where its studios have to rely on revenue made solely from its theatrical run and this in turn causes studios to be cautious of taking risks with new and innovative content.” 

By Song Woong-ki (kws@heraldm.com) koreaherald.com

August 23, 2010

"The Man From Nowhere" hangs onto No. 1 spot

000-1.jpg

No. 1 movie in the country "The Man From Nowhere"

Korean action pic "The Man From Nowhere" held onto to its title as the No. 1 movie in the country for the third straight week between August 20 to 22.

According to the Korean Box Office System (KOBIS) on Monday, "Man" attracted 640,755 moviegoers over the weekend, bringing its total gross to almost 26.8 billion won since opening in local theaters on August 4.

"Man," starring Korean actor Won Bin and child actress Kim Sae-ron, is about Tae-shik (Won Bin) who isolated himself from the world and leads a lonely life until he the girl next door named So-mi (Kim) . When he finds out that So-mi and her mother are kidnapped, Tae-shik goes on a hunt to find his new friend.

Meanwhile, M. Night Shyamalan's latest fantasy flick "The Last Airbender" entered the local box office charts in second place with 621,701 viewers, while Korean thriller "I Saw the Devil," starring Hallyu star Lee Byung-hun and Choi Min-sik, dropped one spot to No. 3 with 283,439 admissions.

Hollywood film "Inception" also slipped one slot from the previous weekend selling 262,013 tickets and Sylvester Stallone's action movie "The Expendables" entered the charts in fifth place with 189,239 admits.

Other movies in the top 10 included "Toy Story 3," "Ghost House," "Salt," "Magic Chunja" and "Step Up 3-D."

Reporter: Lucia Hong luciahong @

Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim

Ⓒ 10Asia http://10.asiae.co.kr/Articles/new_view.htm?sec=ent0&a_id=2010082310471947611

August 23, 2010

Asian pop stars to add sparkle to G-20 summit

By Kim Hyun

201008231204775489_1.jpg

SEOUL, Aug. 23 (Yonhap) -- Leading Asian pop stars will gather here in October to lend the city a festive mood ahead of the G-20 summit that will be held for the first time in Asia later this year, organizers said Monday.

The Asia Song Festival, an annual pop music event hosted by Korea, was set for Oct. 23 this year in celebration of the November meeting of leaders from the world's 20 biggest economies in Seoul, they said. All proceeds from the festival will be donated to UNICEF for children in flood-struck Pakistan.

"I've been trying to do this kind of peace concert for many years," Jackie Chan, a Hong Kong actor and producer named as the honorary chair of the festival's organizing committee, said in a press conference. "Every day I watch the news and read newspapers. I ask myself, 'What's wrong?' Natural disasters we cannot stop, but people-created disasters we can stop," he said. "It's not only about a concert, it's also about a message -- love each other."

South Korean pop diva Boa, also active in Japan and the United States and set to make her Hollywood acting debut next year, will perform at the festival. The tentative lineup also features Jane Zhang, dubbed China's Mariah Carey for her high octave range, Taiwanese singer and entertainer Joe Cheng and Malaysian singer-songwriter and Asia-wide sensation Michael Wong.

A total of 15 teams from seven countries will participate in the event to be held at the Jamsil Olympic Stadium in southern Seoul, the organizers said. Lee Min-ho, a South Korean actor known for his lead role in the hit drama series "F4," will also promote the event as its publicity ambassador. The Asia Song Festival, launched in 2004, is jointly organized this year by the Korea Foundation for International Culture Exchange, the Metropolitan Government of Seoul and the Korean Committee for UNICEF.

Archived