[News] Drama, Movies, Actors & Actresses

Guest CindyW88

"Seon-deok" still most-watched show despite ratings dip

2009121411134722393_1.jpg

MBC TV series "Queen Seon-deok" continued to remain the most-watched show in Korea last week although its ratings have recently taken a dip since the exit of actress Ko Hyun-joung.

According to statistics released by TNS Media Korea on Monday, "Seon-deok" topped the weekly TV ratings chart during the week of December 7 to 13 with a 37.1 percent viewership rating.

The historical drama has been dominating the small screen since its premiere in late May, topping the weekly chart almost every week and peaking at a viewership rating of 44.7 percent. But figures have been declining slightly since the departure of character Mi-shil, played by Ko, from the show three weeks ago.

KBS2 TV's blockbuster drama "Iris" followed close behind with a 36.5 percent rating, the highest the show has scored to date. Daily soap "Jolly Widows" came in third at 30.9 percent.

In the non-drama category, KBS's "Happy Sunday" topped the chart with a 24.9 percent viewership rating. MBC's sitcom "High Kick Through The Roof" and KBS2 TV's "Gag Concert" trailed behind with ratings of 21.7 and 19.4 percent, respectively.

TV ratings for the week of December 7 to 13. [TNS Media Korea]

2009121411083099738_1.jpg

TV ratings for the week of December 7 to 13. [TNS Media Korea]/10Asia

Reporter : Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr

Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr

<ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved>

• Replies 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Book Recalls Jang Jin-young's Deathbed Love Story

2009121500622_0.jpg

Kim Young-kyun, the widower of the actress Jang Jin-young, who died of stomach cancer in September, is to publish a memoir recalling their 600 days of romance this Friday. GimmYoung Publishers on Monday said it is in the last stages of printing the book for Friday's release.

The book recounts how Jang and Kim met for the first time on Jan. 23, 2008, how romance developed, what they went through together after Jang was diagnosed with stomach cancer in September last year, and Kim's feelings of bereavement.

It also includes for the first time a detailed account of their wedding. When it became clear that Jang's days were numbered, the two went to the United States and married in a church in Las Vegas on July 26. Never-before-seen pictures from the wedding will also be included.

Returning to Korea, Kim registered their marriage at the Seongbuk District Office in Seoul on Aug. 28. Jang died four days later. At the time, Kim said, "This was the only time I could have Jang walk down the isle. I wanted to give her the wedding as a present." He says the book is a candid account of many stories he kept to himself. "It contains everything that happened between us -- the fateful encounter, proposal, wedding and marriage registration, the last present I was able to give her."

2009121500622_1.jpg

/Courtesy of GimmYoung Publishers

2009121500622_2.jpg

/Courtesy of GimmYoung Publishers

Credits : englishnews@chosun.com

Kwon Sang-woo asked to appear in "Iris" sequel

2009121423315733520_1.jpg

Actor Kwon Sang-woo

Hallyu star Kwon Sang-woo has been asked to be part of the cast of a second season of blockbuster TV series "Iris", the actor revealed on a talk show last week.

"I have been asked to appear in season 2 of 'Iris' by its producer Taewon Entertainment which is also the same company producing my film 'Into the Fire'," Kwon said on KBS morning talkshow "Morning Live" on Friday.

"I will make up my mind after looking at the script upon receiving an official proposal," the 37-year-old actor added.

"Iris", currently the second most popular TV program with its ratings surpassing 36 percent last week and continuously on the rise, stars some of South Korea's top actors including Lee Byung-hun, Kim Tae-hee and Jung Jun-ho.

Taewon recently announced they will air a second season of the spy drama which is set to go into shoot around May next year.

Kwon's new war pic "Fire", a fierce battle between 71 student soldiers and North Korean regular army soldiers during the Korean War, started filming in late November and is set for release in 2010.

Kwon has starred in several successful movies including "My Tutor Friend" in 2003 and "Love, So Divine" in 2004. His most famous role to date however, was in the 2003 TV series "Stairway to Heaven", which co-starred another Hallyu star Choi Ji-woo and became a hit throughout Asia.

Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr

12-14-2009

Lee Byung-hun Saga Takes New Twist

091214_p16_lee1.jpg

Actor Lee Byung-hun poses with a woman who says she was a former girl

friend in this undated photo released by the 22-year-old Korean-Canadian

gymnast. / Korea Times

Countersuit Filed Against Kwon for Defamation; Photos Released by Ex-Girlfriend

Beleaguered star actor Lee Byung-hun, dragged into a legal battle by a Korean-Canadian gymnast over alleged sexual misconduct and gambling allegations, said the truth would be brought to light through legal procedures.

091214_p16_lee2.jpg

His lawyer said Monday that a complaint was filed Friday with the prosecution against the woman, identified only as Kwon, for defaming the top Korean wave, or hallyu, star with false allegations.

In a letter posted on his homepage Sunday night, Lee revealed his position regarding the scandal, which took a new twist when Kwon released some photos she had taken with Lee to the media.

The 39-year-old actor said he won't reply to the series of allegations raised by Kwon case-by-case as he believes "silence is the wisest response" to allegations distorting the truth.

However, the 22-year-old Kwon, who majored in rhythmic gymnastics at York University in Canada, is intensifying her claims against the "GI Joe" and "Iris" star.

Claiming that she has hundreds of photographs she took with Lee, she sent e-mails containing photos to the media Sunday, saying she could release more photos to prove that they were indeed in a romantic relationship.

The e-mail was sent hours before Lee posted the letter on his homepage, with one of the photos showing them posing together at a ski resort in Gangwon Province.

"Of the numerous photos I have, I will show the ones showing that I really lived with Lee at his home and travelled with him," she said. "Lee knows that the photos he took with me cannot be erased."

Kwon said she won't give up her battle against the actor. "It's so hard and I felt so sad while sorting out the pictures of the past. But I will not back down."

She also chided actor Jung Jun-ho, the supporting actor in the KBS TV hit drama "Iris," for vindicating Lee during a TV entertainment program.

"I saw Mr. Jung giving an interview during an entertainment program. Mr. Jung Jun-ho! How could you say you were feeling sorry for Mr. Lee though you never knew the relationship between the two of us?" she said.

In the letter posted on his homepage, Lee said it hurt that the relationship between the two, which once had been so warm, had turned ugly.

Lee said he posted the letter despite opposition from his agency and lawyer.

"The truth of distorted facts and other stories will be revealed one by one through legal procedures, though it will take time," Lee said. "However, it's painful that what should have remained a beautiful memory turned out badly."

Lee said he was sorry for causing his fans concern but pledged to proceed with his acting without being affected by the case.

"The work (for Iris) isn't over yet. I will give my best shot to do my job until the end. I won't budge and I hope you will not sway either," he said.

Lee and three other top hallyu stars are scheduled to hold an event to meet Japanese fans in Tokyo, Thursday.

Kwon has charged that Lee lured her into a sexual relationship under the pretense of marriage, and is seeking 100 million won ($85,000) in damages. Kwon also filed a complaint with the prosecution that Lee habitually gambled illegally while filming in the United States and Canada. Lee's agency, BH Entertainment, has denied all the allegations.

Lee is expected to be investigated by prosecutors over the gambling allegations later this week.

Credits : Cho Jae-hyon, Staff Reporter (chojh@koreatimes.co.kr)

Source : The Korea Times

Photos add fuel to 'Iris' star's seduction charges

200912150002.jpg

The scandal involving actor Lee Byung-hun and his alleged matrimonial deception has taken an interesting turn with the release of some photos.

On Sunday, Kwon Mi-yeon, who has filed a lawsuit against Lee last Tuesday alleging the actor lured her into a sexual relationship on false promises of marriage, provided four photos of the two together to the media. The 22-year-old Korean-Canadian also threatened to release more intimate photos.

In turn, the 39-year-old star of "Iris" and "G.I. Joe" yesterday released a statement on his website defending himself.

He told his fans that he was "deeply saddened that something which was supposed to be left as pleasant memories has been polluted with fabrications of the truth."

He remained confident that he would win what looks likely to become a nasty legal battle.

"Through proper legal procedure, the truth that has been polluted with lies will be revealed in the future," he wrote.

"It hurts that someone I cared for once would lead it to this current situation."

Lee's legal representatives have struck back and filed a defamation suit against Kwon on Friday and have also requested that an investigation be conducted against alleged blackmailing by Kwon's acquaintances.

Kwon, who describes herself as a former gymnast on the petition, released four pictures to the Korean press which included photos of the two at a winter resort in Gangwon Province and in the actor's alleged bedroom.

Last week, Kwon filed a suit with Seoul Central District Court demanding that the popular actor pay her 100 million won ($85,000), citing physical damage and mental anguish.

In addition to the charges, Kwon has made against Lee, she also stated on Thursday he had habitually taken part in illegal Baccarat gambling while the two had been together.

Lee's agency has released a statement acknowledging that the actor had dated Kwon between last autumn and this spring but denied the allegations, stating that Lee had not done anything "reproachable."

Lee's representatives additionally stated that since November they had received anonymous calls threatening to expose their relationship.

The male callers claimed to be acquaintances of Kwon and demanded 2 billion won in return for their silence, according to an official press release from the actor's management company BH Entertainment.

Credits : Song Woong-ki (kws@heraldm.com)

Source : The Korea Herald

Kim Hyun-joong scores wins at Yahoo! Buzz Awards

2009121518502600916_1.jpg

SS501 leader Kim Hyun-joong [DSP Media]

Korean pop idol Kim Hyun-joong won three awards at the 2009 Yahoo! Buzz Awards held in Hong Kong on December 14.

Kim, leader of popular idol group SS501, was voted Asia Top Buzz Male Artist, Top Buzz KR (Korean) Artist by Taiwanese netizens and Top Buzz KR Artist by Korean netizens. His group SS501 was also awarded Asia Top Buzz Group at the event.

The Yahoo! Buzz Awards, into its sixth year, selects winners based on the "buzz", or number of searches, a star has received on Internet portal site Yahoo!.

Kim prepared his acceptance speech in Korean, Chinese and English, saying “I would like to thank all the fans in Korea, Taiwan and Hong Kong who have given me so much support, and I will work even harder in the future.”

Popular Taiwanese actor Joseph Cheng reportedly showed up and mingled with SS501 at the event.

The five-member boy band debuted in 2005 with single "Warning" and have been active in Korea and Japan, releasing numerous albums both as a group and also pursuing individual careers such as acting and appearing in variety shows.

The group made a successful comeback to the music scene in October, topping various music charts with their second mini-album "REBIRTH".

2009121518502600916_2.jpg

Boy band SS501 [DSP Media]

Reporter : Kang Seung-hun tarophine@asiae.co.kr

Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr

12-15-2009

Kim Named Asia’s Best Star

Singer and actor Kim Hyun-joong has been named as Asia's best male star by Yahoo Korea, Yahoo Taiwan and Yahoo Hong Kong, Yonhap News Agency reported Tuesday.

The selection process was conducted to name the winners of the Yahoo Asia Buzz Award 2009. Winners were picked based on search results in South Korea, Taiwan and Hong Kong.

SS501, of which Kim is the leader, has been selected as Asia's best group. The award for Asia's best female star went to Taiwanese actress Lin I-chen.

Kim, 23, made his debut as a member of SS501 in 2005. He stole the spotlight by playing Yoon Ji-hoo in the hit drama ``Boys Over Flowers'' earlier this year.

Credits : sahds@koreatimes.co.kr

Kim Ha-neul to undergo military training with So Ji-sub

2009121518544604762_1.jpg

Actress Kim Ha-neul [J.One+ Entertainment]

Korean actress Kim Ha-neul will be entering the military next week to prepare for her role in upcoming MBC TV series "Road Number One", according to her agency on Tuesday.

Kim plans to receive the same level of training as her co-star So Ji-sub and other actors appearing in the war drama during her two-day stay at Korea’s Fifth Division Army, J. One Plus Entertainment said in a press release. She will be the only female taking part in the training.

“She is working extremely hard because she will be making a comeback to the small screen for the first time in two years and also because she will have to portray the role of a strong heroine in the drama,” an official at J. One was quoted as saying.

Kim has been set to play the role of army surgeon Kim Soo-yeon who makes big sacrifices for her family in order to survive the war times in “Road”, a war drama which celebrates the 60th anniversary of the Korean War.

The drama will go into shoot starting January 4 next year with its premiere set to come around June.

The 31-year-old actress has enjoyed steady popularity in Korea since her debut in 1996. She has starred in numerous hit TV dramas and movies, including SBS TV series "On Air" last year and hit film "My Tutor Friend" in 2003 with fellow Hallyu star Kwon Sang-woo.

Her most recent comedy action pic "My Girlfriend is an Agent", co-starring actor Kang Ji-hwan, placed her onto stardom throughout several countries in Asia including Vietnam, Singapore and Hong Kong.

Dec.15, 2009

Korean novel '...Mother' to be published in 15 countries

SEOUL, Dec. 15 (Yonhap) -- The publication rights for the best-selling South Korean novel "Take Care of My Mother" have been sold in 15 countries, with the first overseas edition to be published in China next year, a local agency said Tuesday.

"...Mother," written by top female author Shin Kyung-sook, set a record by selling 1 million copies during the shortest period ever in South Korea. First published November last year, 1.2 million copies of the novel have been sold so far.

A publisher in Norway became the 15th to buy publication rights for the novel this month, following those in the United States, England, Germany, France, Italy, Israel, China, Japan, Taiwan, Vietnam, Brazil, the Netherlands, Portugal and Spain, according to Imprima Korea Agency, which handles overseas publication rights.

China's People's Literature Publishing House has finished translating the novel to go on sale next year, while American and English publishing houses plan to finish translation and publish the book by May 2011, the agency said.

"...Mother," especially widely read by women in their 20s and 30s, features an old woman who suffers from Alzheimer's disease, which her family members are unaware of until she goes missing while on her way to visit her daughter.

With the daughter, son, husband and the woman herself taking turns narrating the story, "...Mother" reveals emotional relations between a typical Korean mother and her family.

Credits : hayney@yna.co.kr

Source : Yonhap News, The Korea Herald

Dec.16, 2009

(Movie Review)

Legendary Korean wizard reborn as stylish hero in 'Jeon Woo Chi'

SEOUL, Dec. 16 (Yonhap) -- "Jeon Woo Chi: The Taoist Wizard" opens in the year of 1509 as evil goblins rampage through the country's villages, killing and stealing after a spell binding them is broken by mistake.

Amid the chaos, Jeon Woo Chi, a notorious Taoist magician legendary for the countless pranks he played upon government officials and even the king, is wrongly accused of murdering his master and becomes sealed inside an ancient painting.

20091216095228_bodyfile.jpg

Jumping ahead to year 2009, a trio of Taoist wizards -- two disguised as fortune tellers and one as a Catholic priest in a bid have a peaceful "retirement" -- are forced to release the mischievous magician from his entrapment as the goblins reappear, wreaking havoc against a backdrop of modern Korean society.

The anti-hero, however, appears nonchalant about the grave situation and is more interested in sightseeing and womanizing in modern day Korea.

Inspired by Korean folktale "The Tale of Jeon Woo-chi," which spread by word of mouth among the people of Joseon Dynasty (1392-1910), the director of the movie says he aimed to create a character comparable to Hollywood's Superman or Spiderman.

The movie is the first motion picture made about the legendary character.

20091216095241_bodyfile.jpg

"Jeon Woo Chi is an anti-hero who is more interested in using his talent to cheat people and earn fame than saving society," director Choi Dong-hoon said during the movie's Seoul preview. "He was such an interesting character I wondered why no one thought of making a film about him before."

A name that must at least be vaguely familiar to Korean history buffs, Jeon Woo Chi is indeed an intriguing character who represented the Joseon Dynasty peoples' discontent with stern Neo-Confucian rules and corrupt administrative officials.

Unlike other legendary heroes, Jeon Woo Chi is also a "realistic" character who was short-tempered, liked drinking, women and wanted to show off his magic skills to the people.

With a production cost of some 10 billion won (US$8.6 million), "Jeon Woo Chi" has already been sold to 13 countries, including Germany, England, China and Singapore, ahead of its local release.

Though perhaps little-known outside Korea, director Choi is considered one of the most talented and sharp-sighted filmmakers here as the creator of "The War Of Flower (2006)" and "The Big Swindle (2004)." "�쪭lower," which drew an audience of 7 million in the local box office received three top local awards including the best scenario at the Korea Film Award.

20091216095256_bodyfile.jpg

Leaping from the ancient to modern, fantasy to reality, the movie appears to have enough to offer to the foreign audience, blending Taoist martial arts and black magic with real aspects of the contemporary Seoul city.

Actors and actresses also do a superb job in breathing life into the fictional characters -- which even include a man-turned-puppy -- wrapping the somewhat complicated plot up in a humorous outfit.

Actor Kang Dong-won, the hero of "Duelist (2005)" and "M (2007)," turns Jeon Woo Chi into one of the most stylish and charming heroes in the history of Korean films, with his face full of mischief as he fights of the goblins with the tip of his fingers.

"I found a child-like mischief behind his calm and clear-cut features," director Choi said. "I had an instinct about this actor's suitability for the role."

The movie's minor flaw comes from often trying to jam too much in, in an apparent attempt to give the various characters equal screen time.

Produced by Zip Cinema and distributed by CJ Entertainment and United Pictures, the movie will hit local theaters on Dec. 23 and will be released overseas beginning January.

Credits : Shin Hae-in (hayney@yna.co.kr)

Source : Yonhap News

Lee Min-ho wraps up fan meeting in Taiwan

2009121616172050415_3.jpg

Korean actor Lee Min-ho attends his fan meeting in Taiwan [starhaus Entertainment]

Korean actor Lee Min-ho of hit drama "Boys Over Flowers" met with his Taiwanese fans at a fan meeting in Taipei on December 15.

The event -- titled "MINOZ, THE FIRST ASIA FAN MEETING - FIRST LOVE...with TAIPEI" -- was attended by some 2,000 enthusiastic fans. The previous day, the actor had reportedly conducted interviews with over 30 Taiwanese media journalists who wanted to talk with the Hallyu star.

Lee, visiting Taiwan for the third time, made a grand entrance at the fan meeting, singing his song "My Everything" which was featured on the "F4 Special Edition" soundtrack for "Boys".

2009121616172050415_1.jpg

Korean actor Lee Min-ho takes a picture with a Taiwanese fan [starhaus Entertainment]

During the event, Lee also made bean sherbet for some of his fans and took pictures and shook hands with 50 people who were given the opportunity to shake hands with the star.

The 22-year-old actor shot to stardom after starring in "Boys" earlier this year. The drama co-starred Korean actress Koo Hye-sun and idol group member Kim Hyun-joong of SS501.

Lee is scheduled to hold another fan meeting in Singapore next week.

2009121616172050415_2.jpg

Fans in Taiwan greet Hallyu star Lee Min-ho at the fan meeting [starhaus Entertainment]

Reporter : Ko Jae-wan star@asiae.co.kr

2000 Fans Rush to See Lee Min-ho

On December 15, some 2000 Taiwanese fans flocked to the National Taiwan University Stadium to see actor Lee Min-ho, who played a lead in the TV drama "Boys Over Flowers."

Lee's fans welcomed him with loud cheers and placards reading, "Min-ho My Destiny." They were also holding fans decorated with pink hearts and displaying the Korean words, "We love you, Lee Min-ho."

When Lee began singing "My Everything" under purple and blue lights, the audience kept chanting in Korean, "He's very handsome." At the Q&A session, Lee's fans asked him to recommend to them the best travel spots in Korea. They also asked him what kind of women he liked, what profession he would have chosen had he not become an actor, if he was interested in dating actress Gu Hye-seon, who played opposite him in "Boys Over Flowers," and how he usually spent his day.

Lee recommended Jeju Island as the best tourist spot in Korea, and said that he liked women who understood him. He also said that if he had not become an actor, he would probably be pondering his future steps in the army, and that actress Gu Hye-seon was just a close colleague. On his daily routine, Lee said he starts his day by brushing his teeth and finishes it by applying a moisturizing cream to his face. Everybody in the audience listened carefully to what the actor said.

Lee's fans prepared a talent display and magic show for their favorite actor and a video clip showing his busy life as a celebrity. After changing his outfit, Lee surprised his fans by appearing in the back row of the audience. His fans went so wild that the actor had to cease presenting them with roses and chocolate on his way to the stage.

To repay his fans for their devotion, Lee sang Kim Yeon-woo's song "Boys Over Flowers," with his eyes closed. He also made a sherbet for his fans with fruit and mung beans and treated his fans to it. The actor also posed for cameras with his fans, embraced those who were about to go to study in Korea, sang a birthday song for one of the fans, and granted the fans' wishes. Some 50 fans were chosen randomly to get a chance to shake hands with Lee.

Lee promised to visit Taiwan again next year, because his fans came to see his fan meeting despite it falling on a weekday and paid 80,000-130,00 won each for their tickets. One of the actor's fans said she liked him for his looks and acting talent and that she had watched "Boys Over Flowers" on TV and the Internet dozens of times. She also added she would like to learn Korean because of him.

After leaving Taiwan, Lee will hold a fan meeting in Singapore and will choose his next production afterward.

Source : KBS Global

Seo Do-young Visits Japan

Actor Seo Do-young, who is busy these days shooting the TV drama "Taming Of The Heir" and the Korea-Japan joint movie "Jeolla Poems," has visited Japan. Seo is popular in Japan for his role in the TV drama "Spring Waltz." He held his fourth fan meeting at the Tokyo International Forum Hall on December 12.

7230_671_l.jpg

The meeting marked the third anniversary of Seo's official mobile site and the launch of his official Japanese site (s-doyoung.com). The actor said that he had slept only two hours after shooting a movie until 4 a.m. and that he wanted to have fun with his fans despite his tight schedule.

On the question how he kept fit, Seo said he did his best to train himself mentally in order to endure his harsh work schedule.

Seo plays Edward in the TV drama "Taming Of The Heir." In the movie "Jeolla Poems" he plays a Korean-Japanese who aspires to be a poet and visits Korea in search of his identity.

Seo said he wanted to make his new Web sites into spaces where he could share his joys and sorrows with his fans. After cutting a cake that was presented by his fans, Seo presented his fans with the script of "Taming Of The Heir" and pajamas and gloves that he wore in the drama. At the meeting he also cooked pasta to show off his culinary skills.

Earlier, Seo held a news conference where he said that his new TV drama, "Friend, Our Story," would premiere next year on Fuji TV and that the movie "Jeolla Poems" would also open in 2010. He also promised to visit Japan more often next year to promote his new producions.

7230_672_l.jpg

Han Hye-jin may marry Na Ul in a few years

2009121612461585915_1.jpg

From left, actress Han Hye-jin and singer Na Ul

Actress Han Hye-jin said she may marry her singer boyfriend Na Ul of R&B group Brown Eyed Soul in the next couple of years.

“I will give him some time to do the things he wants after he finishes serving in the military and then get married in the next two to three years,” Han said during an interview with Asia Economic Daily on Monday.

“We’re both Christian and share the same views on many things. We also make up for each other’s shortcomings because I’m simple-minded while he’s more sensitive,” she said of her boyfriend of six years.

She added that she would like to do many good deeds such as volunteer work with Na Ul once they get married as many Christian couples do.

Han, 27, has appeared in several movies and TV series since making her acting debut in 2002. She gained popularity through 2005 MBC drama “Be Strong, Geum Soon!” and 2006 hit drama “Jumong”. Her film “No Mercy” is set for release on January 7 while she will also star in historical medical drama “Jejoongwon” set to air on SBS in early January.

Na Ul, 31, has been considered one of Korea’s top artists since his debut in 2003 as a member of Brown Eyed Soul whose debut album swept various music charts. He has been serving as a public service officer since late 2007 as part of completing Korea’s mandatory military service.

Reporter : Park So-yoen muse@asiae.co.kr

Seo Woo to star in film "Housemaid" with Jeon Do-yeon

2009121615263650336_2.jpg

Korean actress Seo Woo [sidusFNH]

Korean actress Seo Woo is set to star alongside Cannes-winning actress Jeon Do-yeon in the film "The Housemaid", according to the film's producer on Wednesday.

The actress, who recently starred in the critically acclaimed film "Paju", has been cast to play the role of lady Hyera while Jeon will be the housemaid.

"Housemaid", a remake of a 1960s classic film of the same title, is about a middle-class family breaking apart when the husband has an affair with the maid. It is scheduled for release early next year.

The remake will be helmed by Korean filmmaker Im Sang-soo who has written and directed many hit movies including "The General's Son", "A Good Lawyer's Wife" and his directorial debut "Girls' Night Out".

Seo Woo made her film debut in the 2008 film "Crush & Blush", for which she won Best New Actress from several Korean film awards. She also starred in MBC dramas "Tamra, The Island" earlier this year and "Kimchi Cheese Smile" in 2007.

Korea’s ‘Little Brother’ Set to Turn into Rebellious Teenager

The young rising actor Yoo Seung-ho will transform into a rebellious teenager in the new KBS2 drama “Master of Study” scheduled to air from January 4, 2010. He is expected to project tough, manly images he has never shown before. He has been dubbed the “nation’s little brother” with romantic and sweet images that have made the hearts of many women throb.

317_856_l.jpg

Most of all, his appearance has changed. Yoo showed up at the first shoot wearing earrings and sporting a striking hairstyle. He has abandoned his typically neatly-trimmed short hair to have one side of it cropped completely, leaving only the other side remaining. He reportedly chose the new hairstyle after trying several styles to find the perfect one for his character.

Yoo’s agency said, “Yoo’s given serious thought to changing his looks to shake off his ‘cute younger brother’ image. He will feature a new fashion style with clothes specially made for his role.”

317_857_l.jpg

Based on the Japanese manga “Dragon Sakura” by Mita Norifusa, “Master of Study” deals with five problematic students from a remedial high school who have no interest in learning but get to join a special class that aims to send them to a top-notch university. Yoo will play Hwang Baek-hyeon, the leader of the five boys who was raised by his grandmother after his parents died in an accident when he was young.

December 14, 2009

Feud over past love deepens

Photos fuel Lee Byung-hun’s ex-girlfriend woes

14203649.jpg

Lee Byung-hun

The bitter feud between Korean screen star Lee Byung-hun and his former girlfriend Kwon Mi-yeon is getting sour as they are taking their fights online.

In response to the recent release of photographs that show the 39-year-old Lee and the 22-year-old Korean-Canadian gymnast as a couple, the actor posted a handwritten letter on his Web site stating that recent claims made by Kwon about alleged illegal gambling activities as well as their relationship were distortions of the truth.

Lee went against the wishes of both his lawyers and the entertainment company that represents him and stated that Kwon was once a person he was close with, and that he was heartbroken by the accusations made against him.

He insisted that he would take legal actions that would reveal the truth.

Earlier Kwon sought 100 million won ($85,000) in compensation for mental distress and physical damages claiming that Lee had made false marriage promises.

The two first met in Toronto in 2008 through a mutual friend and Kwon moved to Seoul after Lee and another sponsor decided to financially help her continue her studies and training at a Korean university.

She took legal action after she felt that he had abandoned her once she moved to Korea for him.

After his co-star Jung Jun-ho on the television series “Iris” commented on television and insisted that the situation Lee was in was unfair, Kwon released several photographs of them together including one at a ski resort in Gangwon and another at Lee’s apartment.

According to Kwon’s spokesperson, she is prepared if necessary to reveal about 100 more photos some incriminating taken with the actor.

Source : JoongAng Daily

12-13-2009

Festival Celebrates Indie Film Spirit

091213_p14_1.jpg

The 35th Seoul Independent Film Festival (SIFF) invites a colorful variety of

works from near and far, including “Criminal of Barrio Concepcion” by award-

winning Filipino director Lav Diaz.

The past year was a fruitful one for local independent cinema, with Lee Chung-ryoul's documentary ``Old Partner'' rewriting box office history for the genre and Yang Ik-june's ``Breathless'' blazing through international film festivals. The festivity culminates with the Seoul Independent Film Festival (SIFF), which continues through Friday in Spongehouse Myeongdong (Joongang Cinema).

091213_p14_2.jpg

The annual year-end event kicked off on Dec. 11 under the theme ``Hit and Run.'' This year SIFF received a whopping record of 722 submissions, up about 100 from last year. A total of 45 works (34 shorts, 11 features) have been selected to compete for several cash prizes. The awards, including the grand prize, amount to 51 million won and will be given out to outstanding works regardless of genre.

In addition to the competition pool, works by Filipino independent cineastes and Korean-Chinese director Zhang Lu, as well as animation pieces and noteworthy shorts and documentary films will be screened.

The festival opened with ``One Night Stand,'' which will be shown again Thursday at 8:20 p.m. The omnibus film is a collection of subtly ``erotic'' shorts by three noted directors: Min Yong-keun, who has built a reputation with ``The Little Thief,'' traces a boy's infatuation with the girl next door; Lee Yu-rim, who is known for focusing on women's issues and workers' rights, captures emotional dynamics between a married man and his friend's girlfriend; and film critic-turned-filmmaker Chang Hoon comically depicts an American film critic's encounter with a woman who works in a local spa.

091213_p14_3.jpg

The festival offers indie film buffs a chance to watch works from the Philippines, a flourishing market for the genre. Among the seven movies being offered is ``Criminal of Barrio Concepcion'' by Lav Diaz. The award-winning ― and controversy-provoking ― director recently teamed up with Korea's Hong Sang-soo and Japan's Naomi Kawase for a local omnibus project.

This 1998 film is about a reporter who meets a man claiming to be the perpetrator of a headline-making abduction case. Despite her efforts to be cautious she becomes increasingly drawn into his story. The film will be shown at noon, Friday.

Also not to be missed are eight works by Korean-Chinese director Zhang Lu, including ``Hyazgar,'' which opened here in 2007 to critical acclaim. A man refuses to leave his deserted village straddling China and Mongolia where he continues to plant trees in a vain effort to fight desertification. A mother and son who have defected from North Korea find refuge in the village. It will be shown at 12:30 p.m., Tuesday.

A descriptive video service for the visually impaired is available for ``Earth's Women,'' a 2009 feature-length Korean documentary competing for the festival's awards, at 8:10 p.m., Wednesday.

The festival will wrap up with a surprise screening at 4:30 p.m., Friday. Afterward the closing ceremony will take place, featuring the awarded works. ``Breathless'' stars Kim Kkobbi and Yang Ik-june, who also directed the film, will host the event.

For more information visit www.siff.or.kr (English and Korean).

Credits : Lee Hyo-won, Staff Reporter (hyowlee@koreatimes.co.kr)

Source : The Korea Times

12-16-2009

Moon to Play Villain in TV Drama

091216_pm_moon.jpg

Moon Geun-young

Actress Moon Geun-young is set to return to the small screen for the first time in 15 months, playing the villain in a KBS 2TV drama.

Press reports said she decided to star in the tentatively titled ``Cinderella Sister,'' which will be broadcast from March.

This is the first time since her debut 10 years ago that Moon will star in a movie or a drama as an antagonist.

In the drama, the 22-year-old Moon, who is often called the ``nation's little sister,'' will treat her half sister poorly, in a role that is the polar opposite of those she has taken on thus far.

Moon's most recent role was on SBS TV's ``The Painter of the Wind'' last year.

Credits : sahds@koreatimes.co.kr

Jo Han-sun says busy prepping for marriage

2009121618173302068_1.jpg

Actor Jo Han-sun speaks during a press conference for film "Attack the Gas Station 2" held at a CJ CGV

theater in Seoul, South Korea on December 16, 2009. [Park Sung-ki/Asia Economic Daily]

Groom-to-be actor Jo Han-sun said he has recently been busy preparing for his marriage next year.

“We don’t have much time left so we’ve been very busy with it these days. There’s more to prepare for than I expected,” Jo told reporters during a press conference for his film “Attack the Gas Station 2” on Wednesday.

The 28-year-old actor had taken fans by surprise in early November after announcing he would marry his girlfriend of two years on January 9 who was also 13-weeks pregnant.

Jo, who rose to stardom through debut sitcom Nonstop 3 in 2002, took on the role of a soccer player who gets cuts from his team after becoming involved in an assault case.

“I used to be a soccer player so it helped a lot with my acting this time… especially in feeling the emotions my character undergoes when he has to quit the team,” Jo explained.

Director Kim Sang-jin, who helmed the hit prequel of 1999 which placed actors such as Lee Jung-jae, Yoo Oh-sung and Yoo Ji-tae onto stardom, cast Jo, Ji Hyun-woo and girl group T-ara member Ji-yeon for the sequel set for release on January 21

Reporter : Park So-yoen muse@asiae.co.kr

Dir. Park Chan-ok named top female film figure of year

2009121611543927281_1.jpg

Korean filmmaker Park Chan-ok [Asia Economic Daily]

Korean filmmaker Park Chan-ok was named Female of the Year by Women in Film Korea, an organization of female professionals working in the Korean movie industry.

Park, who directed the film "Paju", won the top honor at the "2009 Women in Film Festival", held at Seoul's Cine Cube Multiplex on December 15.

"When I heard the news, I was so surprised that I couldn't really believe it," the director said in her acceptance speech. "Honestly, I thought, 'Do I deserve this award? I just made one movie,'" She went on to thank "the very dedicated and creative staff and actors, the audience and the producers who decided to make this movie."

"Paju", which stars Korean actor Lee Sun-kyun and actress Seo Woo, is about a forbidden love between a woman and her late sister's husband.

The movie received rave reviews from film critics all over the world, winning the NETPAC Award at the Pusan Film Festival in October and being selected as the opening film for the 39th Rotterdam International Film Festival next month.

Other winners at the event included veteran actress Kim Hye-ja ("Mother"), writer and director Bu Ji-young ("Sisters On The Road") and producer Lee Mi-yeong ("Running Turtle").

Reporter : Ko Kyoung-seok kave@asiae.co.kr

12-16-2009

Hallyu “4Card” Tokyo Show Draws Attention

091216_p32_4.jpg

Four superstars ― Lee Byung-hun, Jang Dong-gun, Song Seung-hun and Won Bin ― are gathering in Tokyo amid tight security for a special Korean Wave or "hallyu" festival to be held at Tokyo Dome, Thursday.

Jang, Song and Won left for Tokyo, Wednesday, while Lee plans to fly the next morning as he was involved in the filming of the last episode of the KBS megahit drama "Iris," officials from the event organizer said.

The event, dubbed as "4Card ― Four of a Kind," is drawing extra attention from the media as the promotional fan meeting comes after top stars Lee and Jang made headlines with their former and present girlfriends, respectively.

Lee, the star of "GI Joe" and "Iris," will make his first public appearance after he has been dragged into a scandal involving a former girlfriend over allegations of sexual misconduct.

The media is also keen whether Jang ("Good Morning President"), who recently confessed to a two year romantic relationship with top actress Koh So-young, would make any comment on their involvement.

The event organizer has been reluctant to disclose the stars' schedules to shield them from the press, with individual media access to the two stars likely to be tightly restricted during their stay.

The event will be directed by renowned Japanese writer-producer Yasushi Akimoto. The four actors will give a theatrical performance set to an audiovisual piece by acclaimed Korean director Hur Jin-ho (``A Good Rain Knows'').

The top stars will also introduce fans to their latest films and TV dramas. They originally planned to take part in interview sessions too, but whether they will proceed with them is unclear.

Song garnered local fans with melodramas such as ``Autumn Fairytale'' and Won is the star of the critically acclaimed thriller ``Mother.''

The unconventional promotional event of the top four heartthrobs is expected to draw a total of 70,000 Japanese fans.

Credits : chojh@koreatimes.co.kr

December 15, 2009

Korean boy group wins top star award in Yahoo Asia

200912151843324557.jpg

Korean homepage of Yahoo! Buzz Award

Korean boy group SS501 and its leader Kim Hyun-joong, 23, won not one but three awards at the Yahoo! Asia Buzz Award ceremony in Hong Kong on Monday (Dec. 14).

The Yahoo! Buzz Awards, organized by Yahoo! Korea, Taiwan and Hong Kong, selects and offers awards to artists and entertainers in the past year based on the results in local Yahoo! search engines and online votes. The event have been leading the trend in Asian pop culture for the past six years.

Kim, who became especially popular in Asia after starring in this year's hit TV drama “Boys Over Flowers” was honored with three awards: Asia Top Buzz Male Artist; TOP Buzz KR Artist (top Korean artist selected by Korean netizens) and Taiwan TOP Buzz Korea Artiste (top Korean artist selected by Taiwan netizens). His SS501 Group won Asia Top Buzz Group.

“Congratulations to Kim Hyun-joong who received triple crowns. Our group will be sure to keep making more new albums and music,” said Kim Hyeong-jun one of the members of SS501. “Our five members have toured widely around Asia, making albums. I'm glad our efforts have paid off,” said another member Park Jung-min.

Kim Hyun-joong made a brief thank you speech in Korean, Chinese and English. “I express my gratitude to my fans not only in Korea but also those in Taiwan, Hong Kong and other places. I will work harder to live up to their expectations,” he said.

At the awarding ceremony was Joe Cheng, a Taiwanese actor who has shown much interest in Korean music and popular culture. He visited with SS501 and had pictures taken with them.

SS501 successfully wrapped up their concert last Saturday in Hong Kong. The group is headed to Japan on Wednesday (Dec. 16).

Meanwhile the Yahoo! Asia Buzz Award 2009 selected Korean actress Ku Hye-sun, 25, as the top Asian actress in Taiwan. She was most sought after in Taiwan's Yahoo! search engine, especially after her appearance in “Boys Over Flowers,” in which she co-starred with Kim Hyun-joong.

Credits : Kim Hee-sung, Korea.net Staff Writer

Source : Korea.net

Archived