[News] Drama, Movies, Actors & Actresses

Guest CindyW88

Kong Hyun-jin to Play Charismatic Shooter in New Epic Drama

Actor Kong Hyun-jin will transform into a charismatic shooter in the upcoming KBS2 epic drama “The Slave Hunters.” He is well-known for his distinctive supporting roles in many dramas such as “Alone in Love” and “Dalja’s Spring” and films such as “Taegukgi: Brotherhood of War” and “Good Morning, President.”

280_741_l.jpg

▲ Stills of Kong Hyung-jin in the drama

Kong will play Eopbok, a former tiger hunter who is sold to be a slave because of debts. Dreaming of an egalitarian society without class, he shoots noble people to death out of hatred, but at the same time agonizes over a feeling of guilt for killing people.

At a filming site in Mungyeong, North Gyeongsang Province on October 15, Kong showed off a different side of himself as he resolutely targeted a nobleman who was exploiting slaves. He showed no traces of his usual humorous personality but projected charisma.

“The Slave Hunters” is written by Chun Sung-il, well-known for screenplays such as “My Girl Friend is an Agent” and “Once Upon a Time,” and produced by Kwak Jung-hwan, whose previous work “Conspiracy in the Court” received rave reviews. Starring Jang Hyuk, Lee Da-hae and Oh Ji-ho, it will begin airing on January 6, 2010.

Writer: KBSi Jin Yeong-ju

Source: Film company Haneul

Copyright ⓒ KBS & KBSi

Source : 10Asia

• Replies 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sitcom “High Kick” continues to set new high

2009111812494977032_1.jpg

Poster for MBC sitcom "High Kick 2" [MBC]

MBC’s daily sitcom “High Kick 2” continued to please more viewers on Tuesday, scoring its highest ever rating of 20.7 percent, according to a survey by TNS Media Korea.

The ratings for “Kick” had been on a steady rise since its premiere in early September, breaching the 20 percent mark by a fifth of a percentage on on November 5.

The sitcom has yet to see ratings past 20 percent on a poll by AGB Nielsen Media Research.

“Kick,” a family series directed by Kim Byung-ook, is the sequel to "High Kick 1" which was widely popular between 2006 and 2007.

Both series of the sitcom have been sold to several countries in Asia, with the sequel selling in Japan for the highest price ever for a South Korean show.

Reporter: Linda Kim lindakim@asiae.co.kr

Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr

<ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved>

"Woochi" set to work its magic - Part 1

2009111814145162435_1.jpg

From left, film "Woochi" cast Lim Soo-jung, Gang Dong-won, Kim Yoon-suk, Baek Yoon-shik and

Yoo Hae-jin pose during a photo session of a press conference for their film "Woochi" on November

16, 2009. [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

Woochi is not as well-known a hero as Hong Kil-dong. While Hong Kil-dong was recorded in Korea's first tale, "Woochi" was an absurd fantasy novel written by an anonymous writer. So director Choi Dong-hoon took the story to create an action fantasy movie about the rascal wizard who frees himself from 500 years ago to fight against goblins in contemporary Seoul. The full cast and Choi showed up at a press conference at a CJ CGV theater on Monday to talk about Korea's first action-hero flick.

The preview shown at the event was enough to fuel the already much-anticipated film which was sold to 12 countries at the recent American Film Market. Below are exceprts from the press conference of the film set for release on December 23.

Q: It seems you went through a complex process for the filming -- from the wire action to car pursuit scenes.

Choi Dong-hoon (Choi): All movies are difficult to make but "Woochi" in particular was physically difficult. I think it's because I became greedy about wanting to shoot in a way that had nobody had attempted at before. But I realized I was in hell by the tenth day of filming. (laugh) In the middle of it, I knew I was filming somehow but I had no idea how it would look in the end. I was shooting in a better mood toward the end.

Q: Gang Dong-won, you're so good at wire action that even martial arts directors say you're the best actor at it in Korea. What's the secret to your skills?

Gang: There is no secret. But it's something that is done by manpower, not by machines so the most important thing is working in harmony with the martial arts team. I think having talked with them a lot was the main reason I did well. And in my case, all I needed to do was put on a great pose and the staff would work the cords. (laugh) I was really scared though. Being at a height where you think you'll probably break an arm or two isn't too bad, but it's really scary when you're at a height that you think you could fall and die.

Q: Kim Yoon-suk, you on the other hand, seemed quite scared of doing wire action.

Kim Yoon-suk (Kim): Kang became one with the wire but I tried to take control of it with my whole body, bending it and trying to fight against it. (laugh) The director was more lenient toward me because I have a family to support. I was at a lower height than Kang and I did most of my Taoist magic through looks in my eyes or expressions. And Kang would fly off almost 50 meters just from a look I would give him. (laugh)

Choi: I too couldn't ignore the fact that he was married since I am too. (laugh)

2009111814145162435_2.jpg

Actor Gang Dong-won (left) and actress Lim Soo-jung [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

Q: It happened again in "Woochi" but it seems you're always up against tall actors. How does this feel? (laugh)

Kim: From "The Chaser" to "Running Turtle" to "Woochi", and then my next film "Hwanghae", the actors including Ha Jung-woo, Jung Kyung-ho and Kang Dong-won all stand in the 180-centimeter range. I was never considered small before since I'm 178 myself but I've somehow ended up working with modelesque actors. It's okay though, I can just pull them back behind me. (laugh) I'm young but it's refreshing sucking on their bloods to make myself younger. I also mess up the pretty ones by infecting them with me. The first thing I do is drink with them as long as I can under the excuse that I will give them advice on their lives. Then I mess up their clothes telling them that will be able to act well even if they don't dress well. (laugh) Such processes invigorate me and it's good because I end up developing a friendship with them that surpasses generations.

Q: Lim, this is your first time in an action film but you did wire action too. You also attempted at portraying a femme fatal image. They're a lot of changes. Is there anything you did in particular to change you role?

Lim Soo-jung (Lim): Everyone did wire action in this movie. Thankfully, I didn't have more wire actions scenes than the other actors but it was difficult because I don't have experience. I was able to finish the scenes successfully with the help of the other actors and martial arts team. The wire action I did is nothing compared to what the others did though. (laugh) And the role I took on in "Woochi" is very different from my previous roles but I had a lot of fun developing on a new character. My character didn't have a fixed image but had mysterious sides to her -- to an extent that I myself thought she is a bit weird. But of course, the director seemed to enjoy it the more I became weird. (laugh) I focused more on matching my acting to suit the character rather than on my transformation.

Q: Lim Soo-jung's character's name Seo In-kyung seems to have appeared a lot in director Choi's films including "The War of Flower" or "The Big Swindle".

Choi: That's why my wife keeps asking who she is. (laugh) But she's not someone I've met before. I just like the way it feels pronouncing her name. It's also a hassle to come up with new names.

Reporter : Lee Ji-Hye seven@10asia.co.kr

Photographer : Chae ki-won ten@10asia.co.kr

"Woochi" set to work its magic - Part 2

2009111814060689624_1.jpg

Actor Baek Yoon-shik (left) and director Choi Dong-hoon. [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

Q: Choi Dong-hoon (Choi), you work with the Kim, Baek and Yoo trio so much, in almost every movie you make, that they're often identified as the 'Choi association'. What's so good about working with them?

Choi: That it's guaranteed you get to go out and drink afterwards? (laugh) Lines that had originally seemed bland in scenarios will come to life when Baek says them. He knows how to turn them into these amazingly great lines so I think I've become attracted to his way of speech. I also think the movies where I have him disappear do well. (laugh) He's a mentor in this movie, like he was in "The War of Flower", and it seems he is good at playing characters who provide important links to the story. He's also almost my dad's age but he is so unreserved that we can see each other as director versus actor. He's like my life mentor, friend and dad all at the same time.

Baek Yoon-shik (Baek): On unofficial occasions, mostly when we're out to drink, I complain to the director a lot. It's because I keep dying in his films. (laugh)

Q: Yoo Hae-jin, it seems that you would complain a lot too because you always play roles which are far from cool and this time in particular, you play a 'human dog' -- a character that has been unheard of.

Yoo Hae-jin (Yoo): I thought it would be worth trying and that it would be fun. And I really did have fun playing a character where a human being and dog coexists within the body. I take on the appearance of a human being but I'm actually a dog that has been transformed by Woochi so I had to have the traits of a dog. I started payed more attention to dogs than usual. (laugh) My character also constantly stays besides Woochi, as if they are traveling companions, so although it was my first time working with Gang Dong-won, I was able to find a lot of sincere aspects to him that I hadn't noticed before.

Q: You're recognized as a director who makes the best of the actresses, like you did with Yum Jung-ah and Kim Hye-soo in your previous works by discovering new sides to them. How was it working with Lim Soo-jung?

Choi: I'm very flattered but it's only because they worked hard. I thought I could only be ranked within the top directors by working with Lim. (laugh) My fellow directors all want to work with her too. She's such a delicate actress. And there were many times while editing that I found details she had expressed on set but had missed. There's a unique sense about Lim but I haven't been able to find out what it is yet so I want to put myself up to the challenge again by working with her.

Lim: First of all, I had a lot of fun on set and all the characters in the movie are funny and are attractive in their own way to an extent it may seem weird. I think that's the characteristic of Choi's movies -- being a collection of such characters. I myself had played nice, innocent characters but I felt better this time because my character swears slightly and expresses her inner desires and reveals her soft heart very honestly. I think "Woochi" will be the film that changes the characters I play or movies I choose to take on in the future.

2009111814060689624_2.jpg

Actors Kim Yoon-suk (left) and Yoo Hae-jin. [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

Q: There are a lot of characters in this movie. How was it working with everyone?

Lim: They are definitely forces to be reckoned with. (laugh) To start with Kang, the best to talk about to make news, I thought he was very pretty but that he would be cold-hearted. I thought he would be very quiet and have few friends but he opened up a lot while working on this film. He's a very cheerful and smart actor. I actually learned a lot watching him. I personally like actor Yoo Hae-jin the best. He's a funny and honest speaker but his acting is exquisite. I thought he was born with the talent to act but I realized that he really puts in an enormous amount of effort. I was moved by how much he prepares for a single scene and how he continuously communicated with the director.

Q: Gang, you've been recognized with the superlative 'pretty boy' for a while now. Don't you feel competition against other pretty boys such as Hyun Bin and Kim Bum also set to release films near the years end?

Gang: I don't feel much pressure by the word itself because good-looking, pretty boy, whatever it is, they're all compliments. If people think I won't be able to focus on my acting because of such words, then breaking that stereotype is also part of the fun. I'm also confident about our movie doing well so I'm not pressured about other films which are awaiting release. (laugh) And I feel that every actor is my competitor but if I had to pick appearance-wise, there's also [Won] Bin, [Jo] In-sung... Not that I really consider them competition. Oh no, I can't take that back since I already said it. I bet it's already in the news. (laugh) I'm not confident about my looks but I will utilize my strengths as best I can.

Q: What sort of film is "Woochi"?

Choi: I hope it'll be considered a cheerful movie which will stir up people's imagination and memories that they have not been able to see with their eyes.

Reporter : Lee Ji-Hye seven@10asia.co.kr

Photographer : Chae ki-won ten@10asia.co.kr

Middle-Aged Cast of 'What Makes a Man' Returns to School

The middle-aged cast members of the popular reality corner "What Makes a Man" on the KBS2 entertainment show "Happy Sunday" produced a big laugh this week as they tried out college life.

On the Sunday episode, "Young You Part 3," the seven cast members became freshmen at Kyunghee University.

The allotted majors were Oriental medicine for Lee Gyeong-gyu, business management for Kim Tae-won, Korean literature for Lee Yun-seok and hotel and tourism management for Kim Guk-jin. They traveled to Kyunghee's Seoul campus. Meanwhile, Kim Seong-min, Lee Jeong-jin and Yun Hyeong-bin went to the university's Suwon campus to study mechanical engineering.

279_739_l.jpg

▲ Scene from Nov. 15 "What Makes a Man"

The members based in Seoul started out their campus life by spending the previous night at lodgings near the school. Lee Gyeong-gyu was the only one who had experienced staying at a boarding house back in his school days. He shared stories about his school years.

The other three members in Suwon stayed the night at the school's male dormitory and were upbeat about the first day of class and dates with girls.

Lee Gyeong-gyu, Kim Tae-won and Lee Yun-seok took the bus to school and took non-major recreational courses with ordinary students. They actively engaged with other classmates.

It was entertaining to watch Lee Yun-seok, a real life professor, puzzled by the change in situation.

Viewers wrote rave reviews on the program's Web site after the show: "I'm in my 40s and Lee Gyeong-gyu's stories of his school days all felt like mine," "The episode took me down memory lane for a brief moment," ," "What Makes a Man is special, one of a kind."

Next week's episode will continue to highlight the seven men's struggle to grapple with college life. The program continues in popularity as the seven men take on no-nonsense, larger-than-life challenges.

Writer : KBSi Jin Young-ju

Copyright ⓒ KBS & KBSi

Source : KBS Global

November 19, 2009

Reality TV leaves even everyday folk infatuated with fame

18213656.jpg

With the increasing number of regular people appearing on TV programs, the shows

have become the subject of controversy, as seen in the “loser” controversy from the

popular KBS-2 TV show “Chatting Beauties.” Provided by KBS

A line from the movie “To Die For” reads like this: “Before I appear on TV, I am nothing. If no one cares about me, I am useless.”

It seems to express well modern people’s infatuation with the media. On the opposite end of such exhibitionism is voyeurism, which involves people’s desire to peek into others’ private lives.

A trend these days is for ordinary folk with no previous exposure in the media to appear on television.

Shows featuring these average Janes and Joes work well for all parties: viewers feel that the characters are regular people just like them, and producers find it economical because they don’t need to hire highly paid actors.

Despite the positive aspects of diversifying television programming and drawing more viewer participation, however, hiring members of the general public for TV shows also has its fair share of problems. A good example is the recent “loser” controversy incited by the comments made by a female university student who appeared on the popular KBS-2 program “Chatting Beauties.” In a broadcast last Monday, she said that men under 180 centimeters (5-foot-11) are “losers” in a society where external appearance is considered a sort of competition.

One of the advantages of employing members of the public on a TV program is that it can add a dash of realism. Viewers tend to feel that a show performed by non-professionals is more like reality than one performed by professional actors. That is why the plot of shows like the cable TV program “I’m Your Pet,” in which ordinary people live together, produces a more enthusiastic viewer response than does a show employing professional actors such as the celebrity reality show “We Got Married.”

However, it is impossible to broadcast a person’s real life around the clock or show his/her true feelings within the limitations of a single show. That is why producers figure out each individual’s inclinations and behavior patterns through numerous interviews prior to doing the casting for a TV program. A script is written based on the information collected, and when the person accepts the script, the show is run.

The problem is that this kind of “selected reality” is likely to conform to the wishes of the show’s producers. That was exactly what happened regarding the female university student’s controversial remarks on Chatting Beauties.

According to details revealed later, the student said in a previous interview that she does not like short men and the writer induced her to use a stronger word, “loser,” during the show. She read the script word for word - causing a sensation. Later, the student asserted that she had just read the script as written, which drew the objections of the show’s producers, who argued that there was no pressure on her.

Sometimes it is an excruciatingly difficult job for producers to find ordinary people who are adequate actors. That is especially true with coarse content, which includes money and sex. Some actors are even “reused” because a number of producers share lists of available actors and cast them on different shows.

For example, a man who appeared as a 39-year-old who had never been kissed on the tvN show “Martian Virus” - which features regular folks with unique characteristics - later appeared on another show as a UFO hunter.

“If a person has had prior experience appearing on TV programs, they are less resistant to editing and therefore, more agreeable for us to work with,” said a script writer for a TV program who declined to be named.

Bloated, deceitful shows are also a problem.

Martian Virus recently featured a young man said to be worth 200 billion won ($173.2 million), but the show immediately drew criticism from viewers arguing that the way the amount had been calculated was unconvincing. One person on the Mnet show “Seo In-young’s Brand New Friend” was revealed to have gone too far in lying about her grandmother’s death because she was worried about getting eliminated.

“People are unknowingly taught about the advantages of fame from a young age in Korea, but they are not told about the dangers of popularity,” the culture critic Jeong Yeo-wool noted.

Credits : Kang Hye-ran [estyle@joongang.co.kr]

Source : JoongAng Daily

November 19, 2009

TALK OF THE TOWN

Singer Ryu Si-won kicks off tour in Japan

18213615.jpg

Korean actor-cum-singer Ryu Si-won

Korean actor-cum-singer Ryu Si-won is celebrating the fifth anniversary of his debut in Japan.

The festivities coincided with the start of his concert tour “Jump: Ryu Siwon 5th Anniversary Live” last weekend at the Saitama Super Arena in Tokyo.

The tour, which has a capacity of 80,000 seats and continues to Nagoya, Yokohama and Osaka, is sold out, a sign of Ryu’s popularity there.

Ryu’s last tour of Japan with seven performances in three cities in 2007 was also sold out.

-----------------

The divas of ‘Actresses’ promote their new movie

18213510.jpg

Ko Hyeon-jeong

The stars of the new movie “Actresses” appeared at a press event at the Megabox COEX theater on Tuesday.

The movie, directed by Lee Jae-yong, features six Korean actresses - Yoon Yeo-jeong, Lee Mi-sook, Ko Hyeon-jeong, Choi Ji-woo, Kim Min-hee and Kim Ok-bin - who are hired to do a photo shoot for the fashion magazine Vogue. Each actress plays herself in the movie.

Ko, who played Mishil in the hit MBC drama “Queen Seondeok,” said she joined the cast at the suggestion of the director, with whom she has a close relationship.

The movie is scheduled to premiere Dec. 10.

Credits : Hannah Kim, Contributing writer

Nonember 19, 2009

TALK OF THE TOWN

Joo Ji-hoon waits for his turn to serve his country

18213532.jpg

Fashion model and actor Joo Ji-hoon

Fashion model and actor Joo Ji-hoon is waiting to find out if he will be called up to complete his mandatory military service. Joo was planning to join the army at the end of the year but his plans may be pushed back due to the increase in the number of young men being conscripted this year.

On a phone call with local media company Newsen, a source familiar with the actor said that Joo may have to wait until early next year.

Meanwhile, Joo’s home page will close on Dec. 1 and membership fees will be refunded, a note on the site said.

Joo got into trouble earlier this year when he was indicted on charges of illegal drug use in April.

In June, he was sentenced to a six-month prison term suspended for one year, community service and fines.

2009/11/19

(Movie Review)

Clever scenario, polished production in thriller 'Secret'

SEOUL, Nov. 19 (Yonhap) -- A good thriller never reveals the identity of the killer to its audience until the very last moment. An excellent thriller is often more concerned with the "why" factor than the "who" factor.

South Korean thriller "Secret" presents an intriguing -- if slightly overlong -- mixture of the crime and procedural genres with some very convincing ticking-clock elements thrown in for good measure.

Instead of relying on supernatural elements or grisly imageries, "Secret" sticks to grim, human-fueled mayhem and manages to save itself a largely satisfying hook in its final reel that has to do with "why" and "how," instead of "who" and "where."

20091119091250_bodyfile.jpg

An underground loan shark is found dead, stabbed three times by a seemingly novice killer. Searching the crime scene, detective Seong-yeol (Cha Seung-won) finds evidence indicating his wife (Song Yoon-ah) met the man on the day he died.

The case becomes more complicated when the dead man is found to be the sibling of a notorious gang leader who is desperate to find the killer before the police do, for a brutal payback.

With gangsters close on his heels, Seong-yeol tries to destroy the evidence and protect his wife while questioning her for the reasons. The wife, Ji-yeon, appears almost nonchalant about the situation and refuses to reveal where she was on the day of the crime.

20091119091301_bodyfile.jpg

Creator of the original screenplay of "Seven Days," director Yoon Jae-gu again proves a good story can make up for almost anything.

The film should be lauded for many elements including its hyper-charged design, refined cinematography as well as stable acting by all cast, but its forte appears to be in the sophisticated manner it shows in bringing together the vast sprawl of characters and incidents as it winds its way to a conclusion.

"Each character in the movie hides a secret that only makes sense as a whole when all are added together," director Yoon said after the movie's Seoul preview Wednesday.

Yoon Jae-kyun, the director of summer box office hit "Haeundae," said he decided to produce the movie "as soon as" he read the screenplay.

"I personally think story is the key element in all thrillers," he said in an earlier interview. "The scenario of 'Secret' totally blew me a way. I could not figure out why the man was murdered until the very end."

The only problem is that the movie appears a little bit too long as the director apparently strives to squeeze in the stories of more than a few characters into a two-hour movie. Thus Yoon's modes of storytelling may make the movie seem like a drag for impatient audiences when losing viewer attention is poison in a movie that only makes sense when all details are added up.

20091119091308_bodyfile.jpg

Actor Cha and actress Song, two of the "most wanted" stars in Korean tinseltown, give "Secret" a nice, anchoring presence, but it is the supporting actors who deserve real credit.

The supporting actors, Park Won-sang, Kim In-kwon and Ryu Seung-ryong, play their roles as if they have been designed for them, breathing in life and even some humor into this dark movie.

Tech credits are also polished and efficient all round with the director and cinematographer giving the movie a modern, shimmering feeling. Director Yoon boasted the movie will seem no less polished than any U.S. crime hit.

"Secret," with a running time of 111 minutes, will hit the local theaters Dec. 3.

Credits : Shin Hae-in (hayney@yna.co.kr)

Source : Yonhap News

Upcoming Korean movie sold to 13 countries

SEOUL, Nov. 19 (Yonhap) -- Upcoming Korean superhero film "Jeon Woo Chi: The Taoist Wizard" has been sold to 13 countries ahead of its local release and will be screened throughout Asia and Europe next year, the film's producer said Thursday.

"…Jeon Woo Chi" is said to be the most ambitious film to date for Choi Dong-hoon, creator of mega-hits "The Big Swindle" and "War of Flowers," with a star cast featuring Kang Dong-won, Im Soo-jung and Kim Yoon-seok.

20091119140035_bodyfile.jpg

The movie was sold to four European countries, including Germany and England, and nine Asian countries, including China and Singapore, during the Nov. 4-12 American Film Market, according to Zip Cinema, its producer.

Inspired by Korean classic "The Tale of Jeon Woo-chi," the movie tells the story of a chivalrous robber from the Joseon Dynasty (1392-1910) who fights evil spirits after a spell put upon him is broken 500 years later.

The movie is slated to hit local cinemas on Dec. 23.

Credits : hayney@yna.co.kr

Source : Yonhap News

Ji Jin-hee appointed as goodwill ambassador

2009111915354118480_1.jpg

Actor Ji Jin-hee [Lee Ki-bum/Asia Economic Daily]

Actor Ji Jin-hee poses after being appointed as an honorary goodwill ambassador to promote Korea's ancient palaces at the headquarters of the Korea Tourism Organization (KTO) in Seoul, South Korea on November 19, 2009.

2009111915354118480_2.jpg

Actor Ji Jin-hee is handed a plaque while being appointed as an honorary goodwill ambassador to promote Korea's ancient palaces at the headquarters of the Korea Tourism Organization (KTO) in Seoul, South Korea on November 19, 2009.

2009111915122266811_1.jpg

Actor Ji Jin-hee signs his autograph after being appointed as an honorary goodwill ambassador to promote Korea's ancient palaces at the headquarters of the Korea Tourism Organization (KTO) in Seoul, South Korea on November 19, 2009.

2009111915424469226_1.jpg

Actor Ji Jin-hee [Lee Ki-bum/Asia Economic Daily

Actor Ji Jin-hee speaks to reporters after being appointed as an honorary goodwill ambassador to promote Korea's ancient palaces at the headquarters of the Korea Tourism Organization (KTO) in Seoul, South Korea on November 19, 2009.

Photographer : Lee Ki-bum metro83@asiae.co.kr

November 19, 2009

Korean production hits it big at Cannes animation event

2009111916203182624.jpg

AnimationL Canimal

A Korean production took second place at a world-renowned animation event based in France, according to the Korea Trade Promotion and Investment Agency (KOTRA) on Wednesday (Nov. 18).

“Canimal,” a 3D animation for pre-schoolers, jointly produced by Korea's VOOZ Co., Ltd, and Spain's BRB International S.A., took second place among the top 30 programs selected by MIP JUNIOR 2009. A total of 40,325 animation series from 618 companies in 59 nations competed in the latest competition.

MIP JUNIOR 2009 is the largest kids' programming and screening event in the world. Set in Cannes, it regularly screens over 1,000 programs from its digital library and attracts buyers from over 40 nations with conferences and seminars.

The latest evaluation is based on responses from buyers through a digital inquiry that left Canimal with the second highest number of hits. The results for the top 30 programs in terms of hits, buyers and screenings were unveiled only recently.

Canimal -- a hybrid of “can” (as in container) and “animal” -- is a five-minute, 52-episode animation series. Vooz Company employees came up with the idea three years ago while eating instant noodles and canned tuna for lunch one day.

“Buyers seemed to have liked the unusual encounter between animal characters and tin cans,” KOTRA explained. “We submitted the series for a trial response and certainly didn't expect this.” The cute and simple designs of cats and dogs have also attributed to the latest feat, KOTRA noted.

Aimed toward children from age three to six, the show is expected to air starting from the latter half of next year in Korea and other countries. “We've already concluded licensing agreements with companies from the U.S., Mexico and Brazil since last year. We're receiving calls from Europe and Asia too,” Kim Yoo-gyeong, the head of Vooz said. Vooz is already well known abroad for another unique animation called “Pucca” that features Koreanized Chinese characters. The Pucca characters that started out as a flash animation in 2000 have advanced to over 150 nations as of 2008.

2009111916213162718.jpg

Animation: Noonbory and the Super 7

For the past few years Korea has been quite popular in animation series targeted for pre-schoolers: “Pororo the Little Penguin” has been exported to 81 nations and “Iron Kid” has aired on major European channels.

Another animation "Noonbory and the Super 7," jointly produced by Daewon Media and Canada's Cookie Jar Entertainment, has been broadcast both on EBS in Korea and CBS Kids Block in the U.S. since last September.

Noonbory is the fourth locally produced animation series to be picked up by U.S. broadcasters, following Cubix, Iron Kid and Magi-nation.

Credits : Kim Hee-sung, Korea.net Staff Writer

Source : Korea.Net

Ji Jin-hee returns as king in drama "Dong Yi"

2009111815012157751_1.jpg

Actor Ji Jin-hee [NOA Entertainment]

Hallyu star Ji Jin-hee has been cast to co-star opposite actress Han Hyo-joo in a new TV series directed by Lee Byung-hoon, producer of hit TV series “Jewel in the Palace" and “Isan.”

Ji's agency N.O.A. Entertainment said Wednesday that the actor will play the role of King Sukjong from the Joseon Dynasty in the historical epic tentatively titled "Dong Yi" in English.

Sukjong, who rose to his position as king at the age of 14, displayed charisma and leadership in governing his people while wholeheartedly loving Dong Yi, played by Han in the drama. Dong Yi grows up to become Choi Suk-bin, a consort of Sukjong and the mother of King Youngjo.

This is Ji's second time working with producer Lee -- he became popular throughout Asia after starring alongside actress Lee Young-ae in the director's hit TV series “Jewel”.

It is his first time teaming up with Han however, who is currently once of the most sought-after actresses in the entertainment industry for her role in drama "Shining Inheritance" earlier this year which ended its run with a 41.7 percent rating.

The 38-year-old actor has appeared in dozens of movies and dramas since his debut in 1999. His new film “Paradise” is set for release this month.

Reporter : Linda Kim lindakim@asiae.co.kr

November 16, 2009

Luxury carmakers target TV dramas

‘We see benefits even if the vehicle appears only briefly during a TV drama.’

16003733.jpg

Actor Jang Geun-seok next to an Audi S4 on “You’re

Beautiful” Provided by the companies

It’s quite common to see high-end vehicles getting smashed up or riddled with bullets during car chases in James Bond flicks.

Luxury cars are now appearing more frequently in Korean dramas as well, though they don’t take quite the beating they do in the popular spy films.

As the Korean economy rises up from the ashes of the economic meltdown, foreign and domestic car companies are clamoring to get their vehicles on popular TV shows in an attempt to boost sales. These firms are also trying to take advantage of a Korean court’s conditional ruling on Oct. 29 that eases regulations on the indirect commercialization of products, including product placement in TV programs, which was heavily restricted in the past.

The German automaker Audi announced last month that it will be introducing its latest Audi S4 on the SBS television drama “You’re Beautiful.” In an upcoming episode, the vehicle is driven by actor Jang Geun-seok, who plays a pop star named Taekyong.

16003714.jpg

A Nissan Infiniti in the KBS show

“My Fair Lady.”

The announcement surprised the auto industry, as car manufacturers typically launch new vehicles separately before they appear on TV shows.

Nissan has been one of the most aggressive car firms on this end, targeting the SBS dramas “Brilliant Legacy” and “My Fair Lady” - which starred former K-pop singer Yoon Eun-hye - for its high-end Infinity lines.

Mitsubishi and Peugeot are exploring this realm as well.

Mitsubishi is currently showing its Eclipse and SUV Outlander on SBS programs, while Peugeot is featuring its 308 cc HDi vehicle on a KBS drama.

At the same time, GM Korea is showing one of its luxury SUVs and its DTS sedan on an MBC drama.

“We see benefits even if the vehicle appears only briefly on television during a TV drama,” said an official in the imported vehicle market who requested anonymity. “If the vehicle is seen with the right actor or actress, it creates a positive image and our vehicle receives more recognition.”

Korean automakers are dipping their toes into product placement as well. Kia Motors, for instance, recently unveiled its high-end K7 sedan on the hit television series “Iris.”

Credits : Lee Ho-jeong [ojlee82@joongang.co.kr]

November 20, 2009

Film adaptation of hit novel adds unique colors

Film adaptations of popular literary works can be a double-edged sword for any skilled filmmaker. While success of the original is helpful, making a movie version work requires a bit more magic.

Based on Japanese novelist Keigo Higashino’s thriller, the South Korean adaptation “White Night (Baegyahaeng)” opens with shocking scenes contrasting the lives of the film’s hero and heroine and onetime lovers.

Tracing the faraway expression on heroine Mi-ho’s (Son Ye-jin) face, the camera takes the audience back 14 years to when a pawnbroker is found murdered on an abandoned ship in a provincial Korean city.

The case goes cold and is finally closed after the key suspect commits suicide, only to be reopened by a washed-up detective (Han Suk-kyu) after three people involved in the original case are found dead or missing.

Days before the statute on the case expires, the detective resumes the investigation, reuniting with Yo-han (Ko Soo), the son of the pawnbroker who has been living like a shadow of Mi-ho, driven by love and guilt for a shared childhood tragedy.

Director Park Shin-woo’s feature debut makes almost no alterations to the original story line, focusing instead on giving more personality to each main character.

The story of Mi-ho and Yo-han - who share a dark past that deepens their relationship - will thus fail to trigger any suspense for people who are already familiar with the Japanese novel, which was also adapted into a TV drama series in Japan in 2006.

The movie does manage to add some color of its own despite the familiar plot, largely due to the director’s cinematography and the well-balanced performances.

Son Ye-jin, who chose “White Night” as her 10th film, gives a flawless performance as the femme fatale Mi-ho. With just a small quiver of the lips, the 27-year-old actress manages to express a range of emotions, proving that eight years of experience has made her into one of South Korea’s best actresses.

Kang Woo-suk, the king of South Korean filmmaking who directed “Silmido” (2003) and produced “King and the Clown” (2005) - two of five local films that drew over 10 million viewers at home - produced “White Night.”

“The original work was great and the scenario seemed even better,” Kang said in an earlier interview. “People know who the culprit is, but will still be drawn to the movie as they wonder why he committed those crimes.” Yonhap

Kim Nam-gil down with influenza

2009112000471275849_1.jpg

Actor Kim Nam-gil [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

Actor Kim Nam-gil has been diagnosed with influenza flu, according to his agency on Thursday.

"Kim went to the hospital after showing symptoms of a cold including a high fever and heavy coughing and was confirmed today as having infected the H1N1 influenza virus," Star J Entertainment said in a press release.

The agency also added that the producers of MBC TV series "Queen Seon-deok", currently the No. 1 television program, plans to alter its script due to the actor's illness.

The 28-year-old actor has been starring in the historical drama which premiered in May. He has appeared in several TV series and movies including "Be Strong Geum Soon", "Goodbye Solo", "Portrait of Beauty" and "No Regrets".

Credits : Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr

Rain looking into several Hollywood scripts

2009112017212720694_1.jpg

Singer and actor Rain [Asia Economic Daily]

The doors of Hollywood are continuing to open for Korean superstar Rain who is currently looking through several scripts for his next big screen appearance, according to his agency on Friday.

"He is currently looking at about six scripts but has not reached any sort of decision yet," an official at J.Tune Entertainment said. "He is taking his time to decide, looking through each one carefully with an open mindset."

Rain had mentioned during a recent press conference that working on his upcoming film "Ninja Assassin", where he takes on his first-ever lead role in a Hollywood pic, had opened many opportunities for his acting career in the U.S.

"Ninja", set for a worldwide release on November 26, was produced by Joel Silver of the "Die Hard" and "Lethal Weapon" series and the Wachowski Brothers, famous for "The Matrix" trilogy. Director James McTeigue is most well known for his directorial debut pic "V for Vendetta".

Meanwhile, speculation is mounting amongst Korean netizens that the 27-year-old singer and actor has been cast to appear in Hollywood's adaption of popular online game "World of Warcraft". Rain had mentioned in several interviews that he is in talks to appear in a series movie whose production cost is set at over 170 million dollars.

Rain, whose real name is Jung Ji-hoon, appeared in several dramas and movies in Korea before making his Hollywood debut in 2008 film "Speed Racer".

Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr

Chae-lim signs with agency SidusHQ

2009112019080221100_2.jpg

Actress Chae-lim [Asia Economic Daily]

Actress Chae-lim signed with SidusHQ this month, one of the largest talent agencies in Korea.

“We will actively support her career not only in Korea but also in China through our subsidiary Beijing SidusHQ,” Son Je-yeon, an official at Sidus was quoted as saying in a statement on Friday.

Chae-lim, 30, has appeared in scores of dramas since her debut in 1994, most notably "All About Eve" in 2000.

She has led a particularly successful acting career in China, shooting to stardom after starring in “Princess Sheng Ping". She won the award for Most Popular International Star at China's Annual Golden TVS Awards and was the only foreign actress to be picked a Favorite Asian Star by Chinese magazine BQ.

Reporter : Linda Kim lindakim@asiae.co.kr

Rain attends "Ninja Assassin" premiere in L.A.

2009112309492550647_1.jpg

From left, producer Joel Silver, actors Rick Yune and Rain, director James McTeigue

[photographed by Eric Charbonneau/J. Tune Entertainment]

Asian superstar Rain attended the L.A. premiere for his new film "Ninja Assassin" last week, according to his agency on Monday.

The actor walked the red carpet at the world premiere event, held at Grauman’s Chinese Theater on November 19, with director James McTeigue, producer Joel Silver and cast members Rick Yune and Sung Kang, J. Tune Entertainment said in a press release.

The event -- attended by a handful of Hollywood stars including actress Maggie Q, bands Linkin Park, Blink 182, Cypress Hill and Wu Tang Clan -- was covered by major media companies including Entertainment Tonight, AP, CNN, Fox and Reuters.

As the main star of the film, Rain was at the center of attention and conducted numerous interviews with journalists at the premiere. At the after-party, the singer and actor received offers for his next movie from Hollywood industry executives, J.Tune said.

Rain, who first started his career as a Korean pop singer, has been making a transition from Asian superstar to Hollywood movie star. His Hollywood debut came in last year's "Speed Racer", which was directed by The Wachowski Brothers who are also the producers for "Ninja".

"Ninja" is scheduled for worldwide release on Thursday.

Reporter : Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr

Jang Dong-gun turns photographer for ELLE

2009112311140084970_1.jpg

Hallyu star Jang Dong-gun (far right) photographs Korean celebrities for ELLE magazine [ELLE Korea]

Top Korean actor Jang Dong-gun turned photographer for a charity campaign by fashion magazine ELLE, according to a press release by the magazine's branch in Korea.

As part of the "Share Happiness" fundraiser, the Hallyu star -- who is a goodwill ambassador for United Nations' World Food Programme (WFP) -- took photographs of some of his closest celebrity friends including Kong Hyung-jin, Joo Jin-mo, Han Jae-seok, Hwang Jeong-min, Cha Tae-hyun, Su-ae and Shin Min-ah.

The theme of the photo shoot was food, as "Share Happiness" supports underprivileged children and women to receive proper education and food.

A total of 93 Korean stars participated in the campaign aimed at raising money for the cause. Hallyu star Lee Young-ae also took part in the event, appearing in front of the camera for the first time since her surprise wedding in August and actress Ko So-young, who made headlines after admitting to her romantic relationship with Jang, participated as well.

The funds raised by the celebrities and sponsoring brands will be delivered to various organizations including Compassion, Good Neighbors, Asan Hospital and Loving Hands.

The "Happiness" photo shoot will be published in the December issue of ELLE Korea.

Reporter : Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr

Archived