[News] Drama, Movies, Actors & Actresses

Guest CindyW88

July 13, 2010

Lee Beom-soo Donates Wedding Gift Money to Multicultural Families

2010071300677_0.jpg

Lee Beom-soo

Actor Lee Beom-soo, who married interpreter Lee Yoon-jin on May 22, donated the entire gift money from the wedding to the Central Office for Multicultural Family Support Centers last month.

The agency, which is under the Ministry of Gender Equality & Family, assists 159 multicultural family support centers nationwide.

Through his management agency, Lee said, "I wanted to help multicultural families that have not been able to have proper weddings for various circumstances."

Source: englishnews@chosun.com

• Replies 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

July 13, 2010

Park Encourages Voting for Jeju Island

7442_1378_l.jpg

▲ Hallyu star actress Park Eun Hye, who has been appointed as an honorary ambassador of Jeju Island, takes a commemorative photograph at Jeju Welcome Center on July 12 after signing on a flag to advertise Jeju Island and promote voting for Jeju in order to be selected as one of the “New 7 Wonders of Nature.”

"I think that my role is to make a contribution for Jeju Island to be selected among the New 7 Wonders of Nature. I would like to post pictures of Jeju Island which were taken by myself on my blog and want to make people aware of the fact that Jeju Island is a beautiful place using various methods.” -Park Eun Hye

Actress Park Eun Hye made some statements after she received the plaque of commission as an honorary ambassador of Jeju Island from the president of Jeju Tourism Organization, Park Young Soo, at the Jeju Welcome Center on July 12. Park Eun Hye has gained huge popularity in the greater China region by appearing in the famous drama “Jewel In The Palace,” and she willingly accepted the suggestion of being an honorary ambassador to draw votes from the China region since she has many fans there. These days, she is acting in the drama “Pink Lipstick” and is loved by fans from home and abroad. She has the nickname of “donation angel” as she contributed as much as 10 million won -- which she had earned by selling the script of the drama “Jewel In The Palace” at an auction -- for victims of the Sichuan earthquake. She is now appearing in a TV commercial for a famous cosmetic brand in China and gaining popularity.

Park Eun Hye said in front of news reporters, “Your voting is the most important for Jeju Island to be selected as one of the New 7 Wonders of Nature.” Then she explained how to participate in voting by providing the Internet website to vote for the New 7 Wonders of Nature.

7442_1379_l.jpg

▲ After Park Eun Hye received the commission as an honorary ambassador for Jeju Island in order to promote Jeju Island as one of the ”New 7 Wonders of Nature,” she demonstrates how to participate in voting at Jeju Welcome Center on July 12.

The event to search for sites qualified as wonders of natures worldwide is being hosted by a Switzerland-based NGO, the “New 7 Wonders Selection Committee.”

The committee already selected Machu Picchu in Peru and Statue of Christ the Redeemer in Brazil as new “Seven Wonders of the World” in 2007, and it will continue this event to search for the “New 7 Wonders of Nature” through voting on the Internet website (http://www.new7wonder.com) until November 11, 2011.

Jeju Island has been nominated in the final list of top 28 natural wonders after finishing first and second among voting conducted on the Internet website among 440 places and the third stage of evaluation by professional judges.

Jeju Tourism Organization has already appointed the US Super Bowl star Hines Ward as honorary ambassador for Jeju Island last May.

Source: KBS Global

July 13, 2010

Kwon Sang-woo fined 5 million won for car accident

Reporter : Park Hyun-joon Editor : Lynn Kim

20100604092151032827922_00000078_1_PA.jpg

Korean actor Kwon Sang-woo [Asia Economic Daily]

Korean actor Kwon Sang-woo, who was indicted on charges of fleeing after colliding his car into several vehicles over a month ago, has received a fine of five million won for the incident.

The Seoul Central Prosecutors' Office announced Tuesday that they have summarily indicted the actor for violating traffic laws on the count of not taking immediate action after an accident.

Late last month, it became belatedly known that the actor had crashed into several vehicles including a police car near Seoul's Cheongdam-dong district during the early hours of June 12 and fled the scene soon after.

Police had initially said Kwon had collided into a parked car when they discovered him driving on the wrong side of the road, then ran his car into the police vehicle trying to back out from the collision, and drove away for about 300 meters before hitting a flowerbed.

He abandoned his vehicle and fled the scene, showing up at the police station two days later to undergo investigation for the incident. At the time, the actor reportedly told the authorities, "The police car was following me and I got scared... I was not drunk driving."

He was only charged for the hit-and-run since the police could not check his alcohol level at the time of the accident. The following week, the case was turned over to prosecutors as an incident in which Kwon did not take immediate action for the damage he inflicted.

An official at Seoul's Gangnam Police Station explained the actor had crossed over a centerline to turn into an alley, as opposed to driving on the opposite side of the road, adding that he is likely to receive a fine for the incident since there were no casualties involved and damage was done only to property.

Authorities then called in the actor for investigation on July 9, but were unable to find evidence that he had been drunk driving at the time he caused the accident.

Kwon himself is also said to have vehemently denied that he had been under the influence of alcohol.

The 33-year-old actor shot to fame throughout Asia after starring in the 2003 TV series "Stairway to Heaven", which co-starred another Hallyu star Choi Ji-woo.

He recently starred in war pic "71 - Into The Fire" and will be appearing in upcoming TV series "Big Thing" alongside top Korean actress Ko Hyun-jung.

Reporter : Park Hyun-joon hjunpark@ Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia

Actor Kwon faces W5 million fine for hit-and-run

By Park Si-soo

Staff reporter

100713_p03_actor.jpg

Kwon Sang-woo

Actor Kwon Sang-woo is likely to be fined 5 million won ($4,200) for a recent hit-and-run.

The Seoul Central Prosecutors’ Office said Tuesday it had requested the court to fine the 34-year-old actor. But if accident victims oppose the decision, the actor will stand trial, in which he could be given a jail sentence.

He was booked by police early last month for plowing into two cars in Cheongdam-dong, southern Seoul.

According to witnesses, after hitting a car parked in an alley on the morning of June 12, Kwon kept driving to seemingly flee the scene but soon rammed into another car ― this time a patrol car. He drove for a further 300 meters, ignoring orders from the police to stop, then hit a tree in a parking lot nearby. He left his car and ran off, police said.

Prosecutors suspect he drove under the influence of alcohol, but fell short of proving it during subsequent questioning.

Turning up at a police station two day after the accidents, Kwon testified: “I didn’t drink alcohol at that time.” Since two days had passed, the investigators were unable to conduct a sobriety test.

Source: pss@koreatimes.co.kr

July 13, 2010

Jo Kwon, Jung Yong-hwa to host SBS music show

Reporter: Lynn Kim Editor: Jessica Kim

20100302171153026201106_00000014_6_PA.jpg

Jung Yong-hwa of boy band CNBLUE [10Asia]

Boy band 2AM's Jo Kwon and CNBLUE's Jung Yong-hwa have been chosen as new emcees for SBS TV's weekly music show "Inkigayo."

Korean public broadcaster SBS announced in a press release that the two singers will be replacing 2PM's Taecyeon and Wooyoung, who stepped down as hosts after the July 11 episode, and joining co-host Sulli of girl band f (x).

Jo, 20, debuted as the leader of idol group 2AM after being a trainee at agency JYP Entertainment for over seven years. 2AM made their debut in July 2008 with the single "This Song" and gained popularity through K-pop hits such as "Can't Let You Go Even If I Die" and "I Did Wrong" earlier this year.

Jung, 21, is the leader and main vocalist of Korean indie-band-turned-idol-group CNBLUE, which stands for "Code Name Blue." The group released two singles in Japan before making their debut in Korea last January with the mini-album "Bluetory."

Jung had also garnered much attention ahead of making his debut with the band by appearing in the hit TV series "Minamishineyo" (SBS, 2009) alongside Hallyu stars Jang Keun-suk and Park Shin-hye.

Jo and Jung will be featured as hosts on "Inkigayo" starting July 19.

20100303124906027600879_00000009_6_PA.jpg

Jo Kwon of boy band 2AM [10Asia]

Reporter: Lynn Kim lynn2878 @ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim @ <Ⓒ 10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia

July 13, 2010

Super Junior Lee Teuk's sister signs with Mask Ent.

Reporter: Lucia Hong Editor: Jessica Kim

2010071315303315217_1.jpg

Korean actress Park In-young [Park In-young's Cyworld]

Super Junior member Lee Teuk's sister, Park In-young, has signed with Mask Entertainment, a talent agency in Korea.

"We signed an exclusive contract with Park last month. We are confident that she will become a great actress," an official at Mask was quoted as saying through a press release on Tuesday.

Mask manages the career of several talented actors including Lee Beom-soo, Park Sung-woong and Kim Kwang-young.

Park studied abroad in New Zealand during her high school and college years and returned to Korea where she majored in acting at Chung-ang University. She has appeared in many plays and musicals as well as appearing in several short films.

"I feel that I have prepared a lot. I want to be a great actress doing my best in dramas, movies and other aspects of acting," Park was quoted as saying.

She recently finished filming movies tentatively titled "Balloons" and "Yoido."

Reporter: Lucia Hong luciahong @ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim @ <Ⓒ 10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia

July 13, 2010

[iNTERVIEW] Korean actress Sim Eun-kyung

Reporter: Choi Ji-Eun Photographer: Lee Jin-hyuk Editor: Lucia Hong Editor: Jang Kyung-Jin

Interview with actress Sim Eun-kyung

2010071317515699936_2.jpg

Korean actress Sim Eun-kyung [10Asia/Lee Jin-hyuk]

My name is Sim Eun-kyung.

I was born on May 31, 1994. I am a freshman in high school and I just finished taking my finals a few days ago. My summer vacation starts this week.

I have an older brother who is five years older than me. He entered the military in June and I'm thinking about sending him actress Han Ga-in's signature because he told me that the soldiers really like female celebrities.

The things that girls my age are interested in are BB cream, make-up and idol groups. Oh, and the curling iron. But I think people my age look so much prettier without make-up. Whenever I see people my age with white faces and red lips, I think 'that person is wearing too much...'

My friends were really curious when I was acting in MBC’s “Hilarious Housewives” alongside a real idol like Taemin from SHINee and it was interesting to see how so many people would flock to the set to watch. Taemin said he was interested in acting and so I got him a book on acting for his birthday, which he really liked.

I lost some weight this year. When I saw myself on TV, I noticed that I look like a middle-aged woman when I was standing between actress Han Bo-bae and Taemin in "Hilarious Housewives" because both of them are so skinny! All I can think was 'Ah, that's just not right.' And I had a strenuous time while shooting KBS' "The Great Merchant" that I lost four kilograms, then lost a bit more because I controlled what I ate. I wish I was a bit taller because I'm about 160 to 161 centimeters tall but I don't stress out about it.

There is a scene in SBS' "Bad Boy" where Won-in [my character] secretly drinks beer but I put down it down because Han Ga-in told me not to drink it since it might get censored. However, the director told me to drink it...so they filled the beer can with water and I drank it. I've only had sips of alcohol at get-togethers -- I've never actually drank the whole thing like that before. (laugh)

My character’s name is Kim Yuna for the upcoming film tentatively titled “Quiz King” helmed by director Jang Jin. When director Jang gave us the scenario for the movie, he told us to come up with our own names for our characters. I discussed it with the female staff members of "The Great Merchant" and [decided on the name] since figure skater Kim Yuna was the talk of the town during the Winter Olympics. My character Kim Yuna is part of a group where people overcome depression. She is one interesting girl because she makes one wonder what is going on in her head.

The difference between Twitter and Cyworld is that there is more English [on Twitter]. When I first made the site, I forgot my password and I had a hard time because I didn't even know what 'following' was. These days I've become used to it. It is not as fun as Cyworld where you get to design your homepage but I like it because you get to easily connect with people from all over the world.

I really like singer Seotaiji. I was curious to find out what kind of person he was because people made such a big deal about him on the Internet after his comeback with "Moai" in 2008. I thought to myself 'This is it!' when I heard his track 'T'IKT'AK.' And I jumped for joy when I found out that I had been given the chance to shoot a commercial with him. When we actually began shooting, he talked to me and when he stroked my hair, all I said to him was 'thank you.' I think I was too nervous.

I have always wanted to learn how to play the electric guitar but my mom said no matter what, I had to learn how to play the piano. Even though I learned to play piano for seven years, I can barely play Czerny no. 100. Starting a few months ago, I've been getting lessons to play the electric guitar and drums. I know how to play a few chords on the guitar and I've been getting a lot of compliments from my drum teacher. And if I form a band, I would like to play the drums.

Forming a band has always been a lifelong dream. When I was on the bus with my friend I brought up the idea of forming a band and she liked it. Our band's name is 'Chick and Candy.' What does it mean? Uhm... But it doesn't have any significant meaning.

I like science fiction cartoons. I enjoyed reading "Twentieth Century Boys" by Urasawa Naoki but I haven't read "Pluto"... When I need money I get allowance but I feel that I asked my mom for too much money lately. It costs about 500 won to borrow a comic book but "Pluto" is a bit more expensive, it costs 600 won. And it costs 1,200 won to borrow two comic books which is quite expensive.

I also like figurines like Gundam Plamodels. I like the Japanese animation "Akira" and when I saw the figurine at the shop I thought it would cost about 30,000 won but when I asked it turned out to be worth 240,000 won. I just said 'Ah, yeah...' and awkwardly walked home. I think... I'll be able to buy something as expensive as that when I become an adult. What should I do when even as an adult my mom asks me why I spend my money on something like that?

Sometimes my mom says 'when you're twenty you should become more pretty and feminine.' But so far, I can't even imagine it. My friends tell me that they want to become college students and play but I like how things are now. I think having a lot of knowledge is important once you get older but I don't want a lot of change. At times like this I wish I was like Peter Pan, never having to grow up. (laugh)

Reporter : Choi Ji-Eun five@ Photographer : Lee Jin-hyuk eleven@ Editor : Lucia Hong luciahong@, Jang Kyung-Jin three@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved>

2010071317190884060_1.jpg

2010071317214604329_1.jpg

Actress Sim Eun-kyung poses during an interview with 10Asia.

Photographer: Lee Jin-hyuk eleven @ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim @ <Ⓒ 10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia 1 l 2 l 3

July 13, 2010

KBS reveals "blacklist" of 18 banned entertainers

100713_pn-1.jpg

Was comedian Kim Mi-hwa on to something when she accused KBS of "blacklisting" certain people for political reasons?

According to KBS, there is no such thing as a political blacklist. However, the network revealed that it indeed bans a number of people who are deemed "unethical."

As of July this year, there are a total of 18 people who are prohibited from appearing on the network for various reasons ranging from using drugs to gambling, KBS announced Monday.

Among the names on the list are comedian Kwak Han-gu, who was convicted of vehicle theft in 2009 and singer Lee Sang-min, who was found running an illegal gambling website.

Illegal drug use is the most common reason for imposing the ban. Actor Ju Ji-hoon, actress Go Ho-kyung and model Ye Hak-young are among those who have been banned for being arrested for drug use.

Some of the unexpected names on the list include actors Lee Kyeong-yeong and Song Yeong-chang.

Lee was arrested for underage sex trafficking but was cleared of the charge in 2002. Song has appeared in several movies after serving a prison sentence for statutory rape.

Source: koreatimes.co.kr

July 6, 2010

Kim Mi-hwa claims to be on 'KBS blacklist'

By Bae Ji-sook

Staff reporter

100706_p03_kim(1).jpg

Kim Mi-hwa

Comedienne-turned-TV hostess Kim Mi-hwa claimed Tuesday that she has been “blacklisted” by the state-run broadcaster KBS which has tacitly banned certain entertainers from appearing in its programs.

KBS denied the list existed and threatened to file a legal suit against Kim.

“I was told that I could not be in any KBS programs because my name was on the blacklist. If that is true, it is pity since I have worked with many of the staff there for over 20 years,” wrote Kim, one of the most notable liberal TV hostesses, on her twitter account Tuesday morning. She continued, “When someone came up with the blacklist theory sometime ago, I didn’t believe it. I hope some KBS insider would verify the rumor.”

This is not the first time KBS has been accused of blacklisting entertainers from its programs for political ideas or participation in social events. Singer Yoon Do-hyun, who used to host a nighttime talk show dubbed “Love Letter” and Kim Je-dong, who had led several highly-rated programs such as “Star Golden Bell,” were both dismissed from their programs after they paid tribute to the late former President Roh Moo-hyun and expressed opposition to recent governmental policies.

In April Kim Mi-hwa was rejected by the KBS board as the narrator of a documentary film. The management cited that her voice did not suit the film direction but speculators gossiped that her outspoken views on sensitive social issues with a liberal point of view may have caused board members to feel uncomfortable about working with her.

In the recorded minutes of the meeting, a staff member said, “I can’t believe such a troublesome person is still working for KBS. I think something went wrong with the gate keeping.”

It raised the eyebrows of many people since she had started her career as a KBS comedienne and remained one of the most popular entertainers of all time. She is also one of the original members of the ever-popular “Gag Concert” and has led many philanthropic activities that were praised by the public.

A KBS insider told online media Seoprise, “I don’t know whether there is a real blacklist. But it is true that show producers and directors are too intimidated to hire those people.”

KBS refuted Kim’s remarks and said it will take legal countermeasures against the claims. “It is a completely groundless rumor. Is she trying to defame KBS?” Han Sang-deok, spokesman of KBS, said.

July 13, 2010

Park Jae-beom likely to appear in new SBS drama

Reporter: Ko Jae-wan Editor: Jessica Kim

20100621070040055631383_00000042_1_PA.jpg

Park Jae-beom [Asia Economic Daily]

Boy band 2PM's former leader Park Jae-beom is likely to be cast in an upcoming SBS TV series tentatively titled "Secret Garden," according to an official with the show on Tuesday.

"We are currently negotiating on his appearance, with him in mind for the role of new singer Sun," the official explained.

Sun will be a gifted singer who has been hurt by the fact that the reason his father left his family is because of his mother's affair with another man.

Producer Shin Woo-cheol and scenarist Kim Eun-sook, famous for creating smash hits "Lovers in Paris" and "On Air," have teamed again for "Secret Garden," a fantasy melodrama which revolves around incidents occuring between reality and a game .

Actor Jang Hyuk has been set to play the lead role and Yoon Sang-hyun and Kim Sa-rang are also strong candidates for the cast.

Park, 23, is in final stages of talks on signing an exclusive contract with top Korean talenthouse SidusHQ. His solo debut single album, featuring the English, Korean and remix versions of song "Count on Me," went on sale today.

Park debuted as the leader of popular K-pop band 2PM but he left the group and the country last September when controversy fired up over remarks he had written on his MySpace account while a trainee at agency JYP Entertainment (JYPE). He had been staying in the US since, dancing with his b-boy crew Art of Movement and signing with US online media company Digital Media Wire (DMW) to manage his global career.

He returned to Korea on June 18 to begin filming for the b-boy pic "Hype Nation."

Reporter: Ko Jae-wan star @ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim @ <Ⓒ 10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia

July 13, 2010

Um, Moon to perform in 'Closer'

By Chung Ah-young

Staff reporter

moon(2).jpg

Actor Um Ki-joon and actress Moon Geun-young will return to the stage in the play "Closer" next month as part of the Play Festival 2010 titled "I Love the Stage" in Daehangno.

The play by Patrick Marber revolves around four young men and women through love, truth and relationships. Since it premiered in 1997 in London, it has been staged in more than 100 cities in the world and translated into 30 languages.

The drama was also adapted into a film starring Natalie Portman as Alice and Jude Law as Dan in 2004. Um will play Dan in the upcoming show, while Moon will take on the role of Alice.

Better known as a musical actor, Um debuted in the play "Richard III" in 1995 and has starred in numerous musicals including "Singing in the Rain," "Grease," "Hedwig and the Angry Inch," "Finding Kim Jong-wook" and "The Three Musketeers."

His popularity increased after he appeared in television dramas and sitcoms such as "Kimchi Cheese Smile," "Good Job, Good Job" and "Hero." Um recently starred in the film "Man of Vendetta" with actor Kim Myung-min.

Moon rose to stardom in the popular television drama "Autumn in My Heart" in 2000. Renowned as a CF (commercial) star, she has appeared in "A Tale of Two Sisters," "My Little Bride" and "Love Me Not."

Moon returned to television dramas in "The Painter of the Wind" in 2008 and "Cinderella's Sister" this year.

For the festival, the Aga Company will present eight plays _ "Fool for Love," "Closer," "True West," "Proof," "Art," "That Face,""Three Days of Rain" and "Kiss of the Spider Woman" _ for nine months. The festival is designed to boost small theater works and develop the local theater culture as a whole with a star-studded casting strategy to help the audience feel familiar with the stage.

"Closer" will play for two months at Art One Theater in Daehangno, central Seoul with dates yet to be finalized. For more information, visit www.stage2010.com.

Source: chungay@koreatimes.co.kr

July 13, 2010

Kim Hye-soo says "have no marriage plans yet"

Reporter : Choi June-yong Editor : Lynn Kim

2010071317112128743_1.jpg

Actress Kim Hye-soo speaks during a press conference for television show

"Kim Hye-soo's W" held at MBC Dream Center in Ilsan, South Korea on July 13,

2010. [Lee Ki-bum/Asia Economic Daily]

Top Korean actress Kim Hye-soo has said that she has no plans as of yet to tie the knot with actor Yu Hae-jin, whom she publicly admitted to dating last January.

The actress made the remark at a press conference for television show "Kim Hye-soo's W," held Tuesday afternoon at MBC Dream Center in Ilsan, South Korea.

"I have no detailed plans about marriage as of yet," said the actress, who had dismissed impending marriage rumors several times. "I am neither negative nor positive about the institution of marriage. I don't think that a person must get married nor do I believe in celibacy."

The actress, who was recently chosen to host "W," said that she has been watching the international current affairs show since it first came on air in April 2005.

"I will broaden my interests and thoughts by continuing to study information and things that I was curious about," explained Kim about how she will approach her new gig. "I will do my best as a member of the program rather than a host."

Into its fifth year, producers of "W" had been looking for a new emcee to vamp up the show when they heard that Kim, an avid fan of the program, was interested in the job. She will be making her debut as host on the July 16 episode.

Kim, 39, has appeared in over a dozen films and television dramas since debuting in 1986 thru the film "GGambo." Some of her best-known works include films "First Love" (1993), "The War of Flower" (2006) and dramas "Did We Really Love?" (MBC, 1999) and "Style" (SBS, 2009).

She has also hosted television talk shows and major film award ceremonies on numerous occasions.

"W" airs every Friday evening, at 11:50 p.m. on MBC.

Reporter : Choi June-yong yjchoi01@ Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved>

[PHOTO] Kim Hye-soo attends "W" press conference

Photographer: Lee Ki-bum Editor: Jessica Kim

2010071318225305656_1.jpg

2010071318195997823_1.jpg

Actress Kim Hye-soo poses during a photo session of a press conference for television show "Kim Hye-soo's W" held at MBC Dream Center in Ilsan, South Korea on July 13, 2010.

Photographer: Lee Ki-bum metro83 @ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim @ <Ⓒ 10Asia All rights reserved> 1 l 2 l 3

July 13, 2010

18 celebrities banned from appearing on KBS programs

KBS, the nation’s state-run broadcaster, has revealed the controversial list of celebrities banned from appearing on the station’s programs.

KBS said the network has blocked 18 celebrities because they violated the law or were deemed to have a negative impact on society.

The 18 were mostly actors, comedians and singers. They included singers Lee Sang-min and Jun In-kwon, comedian Seo Se-won and former pro-baseball star Kang Byung-kyu.

20100713001121_0.jpg

KBS’s program screening committee unveiled the list to counter a claim that the station has blacklisted celebrities who have opposed the government.

“Although that so-called blacklist does not exist, we do hold a list for entertainers whom the station has banned from appearing on TV for their improper behavior,“ a KBS official reportedly said.

KBS stressed that laws “clearly dictate that we are allowed to regulate people from appearing on TV who acted against the law or misbehaved socially.”

Lee Sang-min was sentenced to a year and a half prison term for running a gambling website, while Kang Byung-gyu has been sentenced to a one-year term and 160 hours of community service for gambling.

Source: koreaherald.com

July 14, 2010

Jo Jung-rin says Lee Seung-gi stirred trouble with agency

Reporter : Lynn Kim Editor : Jessica Kim

2010071410284863964_1.jpg

Comedienne Jo Jung-rin appears on variety show "Steel Heart" [sBS]

Comedienne Jo Jung-rin has revealed that she almost got kicked out of her agency for helping Korean singer Lee Seung-gi back in the days.

During a guest appearance on SBS variety show "Steel Heart" on Tuesday, which Lee co-hosts with top emcee Kang Ho-dong, the funnywoman shared an anecdote from when she and Lee were both with the same agency and he ended up creating trouble in return for her favors.

"Contrary to what everyone thinks, Lee Seung-gi doesn't always live the good-boy life," the comedienne started off by saying "I almost got kicked out of the agency because of him."

"Seung-gi was famous for being a hard-working person even during his trainee days, but one day the president of the agency said that he was going to drop by the reading room Lee goes to," said Jo on the show. "I wasn't worried because he is such a good and hard-working boy but I sent him a text message that the president might be dropping by later, just in case."

"A little later, he sent me a reply that said, 'Thank you. Seriously, I almost got in big trouble,'" she added.

Jo explained that the two kept on exchanging such text messages in similar circumstances until one day Lee Seung-gi ended up, by mistake, texting the agency head: "Thank you every time, sis.. I am heading over to the reading room right now."

When the president arrived at the reading room, he opened the car door and shouted to unsuspecting Lee, "You, get in" and confiscated his mobile phone.

The balladeer drew laughter as he responded, "I didn't have a mobile phone for a long time after that... I got one now but I had to live without a mobile phone for quite some time after debuting as a singer."

Jo, 25, is a comedienne and actress who has appeared in several television dramas including "Nonstop 5" (MBC, 2005), "Pure 19" (KBS1, 2006) and "When It's At Night" (MBC, 2008).

Known for her special talent in imitating voices, she was named best newcomer in variety show category at 2003 MBC year-end entertainment awards.

Reporter : Lynn Kim lynn2878@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia

July 14, 2010

Kim Jung Eun and Bae Doo Na To Have Singing Showdown

The two actresses Kim Jung Eun and Bae Doo Na, who have been beloved with their characteristic acting styles, will have a singing confrontation in a TV drama.

The two actresses have been cast in SBS TV’s Monday and Tuesday drama “I Am Legend” and MBC TV’s weekend drama “Gloria,” and both will play singers in the two different dramas and show off their singing ability as well as acting abilities.

Kim Jung Eun will play the female lead named Jeon Seol Hee in the drama “I Am Legend (written by Kim Yoon Jung and directed by Kim Hyung Sik),” which will be the follow-up drama to “Coffee House,” and the drama will air the first episode on August 2. Jeon Seol Hee is a character who had once been a leader who ruled the area of Wangsibni, and turned her life around by getting married to a decent family of lawyers. But, she ended up divorcing because she could not endure the pretentious atmosphere of her in-laws' house, and then she made up a musical band with other friends. Actress Hong Ji Min, Jang Shin Young, and Juni will play the members of the band along with Kim Jung Eun.

7445_1385_l.jpg

A spokesperson for the production company stated on July 13, “The four band members have practiced together from long time ago. They all have musical talent and enthusiastically participate in filming, so they are showing the best harmony as a team from the beginning.”

In particular, Kim Jung Eun has already shown off her singing ability in the movie “Marrying the Mafia” and SBS TV’s “Kim Jung Eun’s Chocolate,” but she reportedly determined to showcase her musical talent in earnest by appearing in this drama.

The spokesperson revealed, “We will portray a story of female characters who have a mental or emotional disorder as a result of repressed anger or stress. They will finally find their identity and stand up to this world by forming a legendary band and healing their disorder through music.”

7445_1386_l.jpg

Actress Bae Doo Na made off with prizes in Japanese film awards at the beginning of this year by appearing in movie “Air Doll,” and she has been cast as the female lead named Na Jin Jin in the drama “Gloria (written by Jung Ji Woo, directed by Kim Min Sik),” which will begin airing from July 31 as the follow-up drama to “Blossom Sisters.” “Gloria” will portray a story of people who live fiercely while working in a nightclub. A thirty-year-old woman named Na Jin Jin works in the coatroom of the nightclub called “Into Memory.” She always wanted to become a singer, and in an unguarded moment, she sings on the nightclub stage and develops a desire to become a singer. She has a sister (Oh Hyun Kyung), who was once a famous singer, but became disabled due to a sudden car accident. Her sister has only five-year-old intelligence and lives life by selling roses to guests in the nightclub. Na Jin Jin is a strong person for her sister and will continue her sister’s dream as a singer.

Bae Doo Na appeared in the Japanese movie “Linda Linda Linda,” which is about a female high school student band, in 2006, and sang the vocals for the band. In this coming-of-age movie, female high school students form a band following after the legendary Japanese rock band “Blue Heart,” and Bae Doo Na portrayed Korean international student Song and showed off her talent in singing. Bae had decided to play the character because the character she played was actually a vocalist who does not have talent in singing. But, she had successfully shown gradual improvement in singing in the movie. Now, Bae Doo Na is recording a song for “Gloria,” and receiving singing lessons from music composers.

Bae Doo Na said, “There will be many scenes that I sing in the drama including the scene that I sing a duet with once-famous singer Yeo Jung Nan (Na Young Hee).”

Source: KBS Global

July 14, 2010

Myung Films, MK Pictures to merge into one brand

Reporter: Lynn Kim Editor: Jessica Kim

2010071414565595426_1.jpg

Korean film production company Myung Films [Myung Films]

Myung Films and MK Pictures, the latter from the 2004 merger of Myung Films and Kang Je-gyu Films, will become a single company brand next month.

Myung Films announced in a press release on Wednesday that the two brands, who integrated their film-making businesses six years ago, will be working under the name 'Myung Films' starting August 7, also the fifteenth anniversary of the company.

201007140836772578_1.jpg

MK Pictures had been established when it joined forces with noted director Kang Je-gyu's firm, Kang Je-gyu Films, and has since been carrying out its business under two corporate names.

Founded in August 1995, Myung Films is considered one of the most successful film companies in Korea that has produced many local blockbuster hits including "Contact" (1997), "Joint Security Area" (2000) and "Forever The Moment" (2007) .

It will be releasing the romantic comedy pic "Cyrano Agency," starring actress Park Shin-hye, around the Korean Thanksgiving holidays in September.

Reporter: Lynn Kim lynn2878 @ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim @ <Ⓒ 10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia

July 14, 2010

Eric Tsang to appear in TV series "Domangja s1"

Reporter: Lucia Hong Editor: Jessica Kim

2010071416232340810_1.jpg

Hong Kong actor Eric Tsang

Hong Kong actor Eric Tsang will be making an appearance in several episodes in upcoming KBS TV series "Domangja s1," according to a press release by the show's producer on Wednesday.

He will be playing the role of General Wai, who is friends with Ji-woo set to be played by Asian superstar Rain, and a business partner to Kai, played by Korean-American actor Daniel Henney.

Tsang is said to have constantly shown keen interest in appearing in the show, particularly for its shoots which would take place in various locations throughout the world including in Tokyo, Osaka, Shanghai, Beijing, Macau and Hong Kong.

A producer from the show added that the popularity of Korean dramas and stars in the Asian market may have also been a decisive factor.

In addition to Rain and Daniel Henney, "Domangja s1" will feature a star-studded line-up of multi-talented entertainers including Lee Na-young, Lee Jung-jin and Kong Hyung-jin.

The drama, about a hefty sum of money popping up sixty years after it disappeared in times of the Korean War, will be helmed by noted television producer Kwak Jung-hwan and written by Chun Sung-il, the duo behind the hit TV series " The Slave Hunters. "

Eric Tsang began his career in the entertainment business as a stuntman. He is a prolific actor, director producer and television host for variety program "Super Trio Series" on Hong Kong's TVB.

He then appeared in many Hong Kong films such as "It Takes Two (1982)," "Winner & Sinners (1983)," "The Dragon Family (1988)" and "Kung Fu Dunk (2008)." Most recently, he directed and starred in film "72 Tenants of Prosperity (2010)."

"Domangja s1" will premiere in Korea around late September.

Reporter: Lucia Hong luciahong @ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim @ <Ⓒ 10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia

July 14, 2010

'Toxic Avenger' to go on stage in August

By Chung Ah-young

Staff reporter

100715_p16_musiccal(1).jpg

A Korean adaptation of the Broadway comedy musical “The Toxic Avenger” will play from Aug. 14 to Oct. 10 at the KT&G Sangsang Art Hall in southern Seoul. / Courtesy of Show Note

The Broadway comedy musical "The Toxic Avenger" based on the 1985 film of the same name will make its way to Korea for the first time. The musical was written by Broadway hit maker Joe DiPietro, composed by Bon Jovi keyboardist David Bryan, and directed by John Rando.

When it premiered in 2009, the musical created the so-called "toxic" syndrome on Broadway. Set in Tromaville, New Jersey, the story revolves around a mutant superhero called Toxie.

Aspiring earth scientist nerd Melvin wants to save New Jersey from environmental pollution for the sake of its citizens and Sarah, the beautiful blind girl he loves. One day, he comes to discover the shocking truth at the archive of the city library Sarah works for. It is Babs Belogoody, the city mayor who permits all kinds of toxic waste to be dumped in the city in return for kickbacks. With dreams of becoming the governor, the mayor orders two goons to get rid of Melvin to hide the truth. The two goons throw Melvin into the sticky, toxic substance tank and believe him to be dead. But Melvin is reborn with superpowers as a giant green mutant called Toxie, with a deformed face and ripped body. He fights against corrupt power and environmental pollution to save the earth and is hailed as "a toxic hero" by citizens. The musical portrays the monster's heroism and at the same time the love story between Sarah and Toxie with a comical touch.

100715_p16_tocix.jpg

"The Toxic Avenger" won the Outstanding New Off-Broadway Musical at the Outer Critics Circle Awards in 2009 and the 2009 Theater Fans' Choice Awards on Broadwayworld.com, a U.S. performing arts website.

The musical will tour Los Angeles, Cleveland, Austin and Chicago from this fall and the foreign productions, including the Korean rendition, will take place this year following a successful Canadian performance.

The Korean production company Show Note will upgrade the musical to keep the original qualities and at the same time suit Korean tastes through its local creative team.

In the show, the five actors will make numerous costume changes, going through 135 items of clothing, a lot for small-theater musicals. It will also take just two minutes for Melvin to turn into superhero Toxie. Chae Song-hwa, arguably the nation's top special makeup artist, whose creative abilities were seen in "Hedwig and the Angry Inch," "Evil Dead" "Cats" and "200-Pound Beauty," will bring to life the monster for the show.

Actor Oh Man-seok will play both the roles of Melvin and Toxie while actress Hong Jim-min will perform as the corrupt mayor Melvin's mother and a nun.

Renowned for his role in "Hedwig and the Angry Inch," Oh is returning to the small-theater stage after a break of three years. He recently extended his horizons by directing the musicals "Happy Life" in 2008 and "Harmonium in My Heart" last year. "I want to get back to basics but explore my acting talents in this musical," Oh said in a statement.

Hong starred in the popular television drama "On Air" in 2008 and won Best Actress in the Korea Musical Awards for her role in "Dreamgirls" and her powerful soulful vocals, for the first time in 10 years since her debut. She also proved her popularity in the recent sold-out musical "Menopause." As a popular and sought out actress, she has been cast for the upcoming television drama "I Am Legend."

The musical will run from Aug. 14 to Oct. 10 at the KT&G Sangsang Art Hall in southern Seoul. Tickets cost from 55,000 won to 66,000 won. For reservations, call 1544-1555.

Source: chungay@koreatimes.co.kr

July 14, 2010

Lee Byung-hun testifies at Kang Byung-kyu trial

Editor : Jessica Kim

2010071422133672921_1.jpg

Actor Lee Byung-hun speaks to reporters after testifying at TV personality

Kang Byung-kyu's trial at the Seoul Central Prosecutors' Office in South Korea

on July 14, 2010. [Han Youn-jong/Asia Economic Daily]

Top Korean actor Lee Byung-hun testified at TV personality Kang Byung-kyu's hearing today, the two confronting each other for the first time since being embroiled in a legal battle also involving Lee's former girlfriend.

The trial took place behind closed doors as requested in advance by Lee, commencing a little past 4 p.m. at the Seoul Central Prosecutors' Office.

"I had kept quiet till now because I thought I had been set up in a ridiculous conspiracy," a calm-looking Lee told reporters after stepping out of court about an hour and a half later. "I thought this incident would be resolved quickly by taking legal action but it has somehow dragged on till now."

Lee also said he "gave an honest testimony about the facts the way they are," adding that the truth will soon be revealed.

Kang has been standing trial on two charges;' defaming and attempting blackmail against Lee, and his alleged involvement in an assault case on the set of last year's hit TV series "IRIS."

The case started seven months ago when Lee's ex-girlfriend identified by her last name Kwon lodged a complaint to court saying she was allured into having a sexual relationship with Lee on his false promises of marriage and demanded she be compensated for physical and psychological damage.

Lee then filed a suit against Kwon as well as Kang, who according to Lee's legal representatives, was behind those who had demanded for money in exchange for exposing details of the actor's personal life.

Prosecutors sided with Lee, indicting Kang in mid-March for defamation and attempted blackmail against the actor. An angered Kang had then countersued Lee for defamation but the court cleared the actor of any charges.

Kang was also indicted for his alleged involvement in assaulting crew members of "IRIS" -- then starring Lee -- which he visited in mid-December over talk that Chung Tae-won, chief of Taewon Entertainment and producer of the hit show, had spread false rumor that he was behind the feud between Lee and Kwon.

Repoter : Park Jong-kyu glory@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia

2010071422001657739_1.jpg

Actor Lee Byung-hun arrives at the Seoul Central Prosecutors' Office in South Korea on July 14, 2010 to testify at TV personality Kang Byung-kyu's trial.

2010071422095367211_1.jpg

Actor Lee Byung-hun walks into the Seoul Central Prosecutors' Office in South Korea on July 14, 2010 to testify at TV personality Kang Byung-kyu's trial.

2010071422112469971_1.jpg

Actor Lee Byung-hun leaves the Seoul Central Prosecutors' Office in South Korea on July 14, 2010 after testifying at TV personality Kang Byung-kyu's trial.

Photographer: Han Youn-jong hyj0709 @ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim @ <Ⓒ 10Asia All rights reserved> 1 l 2 l 3

July 14, 2010

Comedian Jung Myung-hoon to donate bone marrow to a five-year-old

Comedian Jun Myung-hoon, 31, is about to donate bone marrow to a five-year-old child. Jung had previously signed himself up for a bone marrow donation.

He was contacted later when a matching patient was found, though the exact date of the surgery is yet to be determined.

"It really isn't that big of a deal. Donating bone marrow doesn't even cost that much. I'm just doing what's right," said Jung, bashful.

Whereas Jung and the young patient are perfect matches, the actual donation date is not yet fixed because of the patient's bad health condition. "The child's just gone through a heavy treatment for cancer. The operation will begin once the kid recovers a little," said the comedian.

"I'm very glad I'm a match. It feels really nice that I can help a sick child in need, you know?" When the patient improves in health, the comedian will undergo a three-day-long surgery to donate his bone marrow.

Jung made his debut in 2001 as a KBS comedian. He has been steadily gaining popularity for his appearance as "Goltong 24" in feminine getup in the "I'm a Cyborg but it's alright" section of a KBS2 gag program "Gag Concert."

July 15, 2010

‘Gag Concert’ comedian donates bone marrow

14203731.jpg

Comedian Jung Myung-hoon has donated bone marrow to a five-year-old cancer patient.

“The child is currently undergoing cancer treatment. I will play my part when the child gets better,” Jung said in a phone call with Money Today, a local news outlet, on Tuesday. “I only did what ought to be done. I’m embarrassed that this has gotten out.”

Jung, a core member of the cast of the KBS comedy show “Gag Concert,” is a registered donor with the Korea Marrow Donor Program.

Source: joongangdaily.com

July 15, 2010

Dong Yi actor resigns after he’s caught on tape kicking a woman

14203751.jpg

Actor Choi Chul-ho pulled out of the MBC drama “Dong Yi” after allegations that he pushed and kicked a woman in public were confirmed.

According to news reports, Choi had been drinking at a restaurant in Yongin City early in the morning of July 8 when the woman made critical comments about his acting. Enraged, he pushed her down and kicked her in the back, the reports said.

The woman involved in the incident, who has declined to be identified, did not press charges. However, the incident came up again when CCTV footage showing Choi and the woman was broadcast on SBS on July 9.

Two days later, Choi responded to the allegations at a press conference. “I was afraid of losing my very hard-earned shot at being famous,” Choi said. “I am truly sorry for the damage I have caused to anyone.”

Later that day, he posted an apology on the Dong Yi Web site: “The least I can do to make up for my mistakes is pull myself out of the drama.”

Source: joongangdaily.com

July 15, 2010

New show, new beginning

‘Although being an actress is a big part of me, I think that I should prevent the profession from absorbing me wholly.’

14203843.jpg

Kim Hye-soo, an actress known for her social conscience, is the new host

of MBC’s current affairs program “W.”By Jeong Chi-ho

Actress Kim Hye-soo, named the new host of MBC’s current affairs program “W,” says that the driving force behind her success has been her inferiority complex.

In an interview after rehearsing for her first episode of the show last Friday, Kim, considered by many to be a cultural icon, repeated “inferiority complex” and “lacking” throughout the duration of the interview.

The first edition of the show, hosted by Kim, will air on July 16 at 11:50 p.m. “As I have lived the confined life of a celebrity since I was a teenager, I have always thought that I lacked the experience or sensibility that regular people have,” said the 39-year-old actress, who made her debut in a TV commercial when she was just 14.

The documentary program W has had five successful years on the air, with news anchor Choi Yun-yeong as the host. The show’s handling of risque topics, including coverage of Haitian children eating “mud cookies” (made of mud, salt and margarine) and the murder of a Korean woman by her British husband, has received both critical acclaim and public interest.

Asked about the rehearsal, Kim answered, “Oh, I don’t know,” before laughing. “I was trying to relax...”

Her previous experience hosting a show was her three-year stint on the SBS program, “Kim Hye-soo Plus You,” from 1998 to 2000. She said, however, that she feels nervous about doing her new show justice as W is a current affairs program.

Kim said that even before her gig as host, she was an avid fan of W. “I originally heard of the program through my sister. Since my first viewing, I haven’t missed a single episode. It’s a great program,” she said. “When I see it, I sometimes become angry that those kinds of horrible things are still happening, while feeling empathetic towards those featured on the show.”

She said that one of her favorite episodes was the one featuring Haitian children eating the “mud cookies. Because she has a nephew in her life, the episode made her more sympathetic towards the children.

Besides being a top actress, Kim is also known for her social conscience. Her personal Cyworld Web page was at one point filled with news articles about subjects ranging from the Korea-U.S. free trade agreement to the war in Iraq, as well as articles on other social, political and cultural issues of the day. She is also an honorary ambassador for Good Neighbors, a local NGO.

“Korea used to be one of the countries receiving the biggest amount of aid from the UN,” she said. “However, now that we have developed, we haven’t given as much aid as we could have. Now is the time to give back.”

The actress said that even if she has an all-night shoot, she tries to read a variety of newspapers in the morning. “For a while, I stopped reading social news on purpose because I felt I was becoming too obsessed with current affairs and it was affecting me emotionally,” she said.

“Because I started this work from an early age, I didn’t have a lot of life experience. So as I got older, I felt insecure about lacking a ‘universal’ quality.”

She recalled, for example, an incident with her friend when she was in her early 30’s. The friend pointed to a persimmon tree and said, “Look! It’s a persimmon tree,” and she was shocked that her friend knew what it was because she did not.

Kim also said that her earlier obsession with aging has dissipated as she has gotten older, and that, compared to her 20’s, she is slowly maturing. “I’ve never thought that being an actress is the most important thing in my life,” she said. “Although being an actress is a big part of me, I think that I should prevent the profession from absorbing me wholly.”

The interview lasted for more than an hour, and it was time for Kim to go back to the camera.

“I hope that no matter who is hosting the show, viewers of W will be able to experience a change in their hearts and turn that change into action. I don’t know how long it will last, but I want to stay on [as host] for a long time.”

By Kim Ji-eun [jainnie@joongang.co.kr] joongangdaily.com

Archived