[News] Drama, Movies, Actors & Actresses

Guest CindyW88

June 30, 2010

Kim Ha-neul cancels Japan sked over Park Yong-ha's death

Reporter : Park So-yoen Editor : Lynn Kim

20100621095932058699073_00000001_1_PA.jpg

Korean actress Kim Ha-neul [Asia Economic Daily]

Korean actress Kim Ha-neul, who has been in Japan since last weekend, will be rushing back to Korea upon hearing of actor Park Yong-ha's sudden death earlier this morning.

The actress, who held a sold-out fan meeting in Japan over the weekend, had other schedules planned for the week.

"She decided to cancel the rest of her plans in Japan and rush back," an official at agency J. One Plus Entertainment told Asia Economic Daily over the phone on Wednesday.

"She was so shocked that she could not say anything. I think his death is harder for her to accept because Park Yong-ha was a bright and cheerful person," the official added.

Kim and Park had starred together in the hit TV series "On Air" (SBS, 2008).

The official added that many fellow actors, including So Ji-sub, are heartbroken over the news of Park, who was found dead in his apartment around 5:30 a.m. He had hanged himself on the cord of his camcorder charger.

Kim will be arriving in Seoul later this afternoon.

Reporter : Park So-yoen muse@ Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@ <10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

• Replies 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

June 30, 2010

Hero Jaejoong in shock over Park Yong-ha death

Reporter : Lucia Hong Editor : Jessica Kim

2010063014252944129_1.jpg

Korean pop idol Hero Jaejoong [sM Entertainment]

Hero Jaejoong is said to be in shock after hearing about the suicide of actor Park Yong-ha.

Multiple media sources reported that TVXQ member Hero Jaejoong, who is currently in the United States, was in distress since he had talked on the phone with Park just the day before his death.

"Jaejoong and Park had a special relationship -- something beyond the typical friendship. We know that they had a telephone conversation on June 29th," a source close to Hero Jaejoong said, although adding he was not sure what they talked about.

Jaejoong, currently in the United States to work on his new global album, will be unable to visit the hospital in time.

Park was found hanging himself from the cord of his camcorder charger at 5:30 a.m. in his house. His body has been placed at Seoul St. Mary's Hospital.

Reporter : Lucia Hong luciahong@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

June 30, 2010

Police announce Park Yong-ha committed suicide

Reporter : Ko Jae-wan Editor : Jessica Kim

2010063016393208846_1.jpg

Chief investigator Kwak Jeong-hee at Gangnam Police Station gives a briefing

on singer and actor Park Yong-ha's death on June 30, 2010 in Seoul, South Korea.

Police have officially announced suicide is the cause of singer and actor Park Yong-ha's death. Park was 32.

Chief investigator Kwak Jeong-hee at Gangnam Police Station gave a briefing on Wednesday afternoon, declaring that Park died of suffocation early in the day after hanging himself from the cord of his camcorder's charger that he had hung to the top of his bedpost.

Kwak however, dismissed reports claiming that Park took his life from depression or problems he had related to taking sleeping pills for 14 years. "We were able to confirm that he had recently taken some pills although we do not know if it was after he got home last night. Nevertheless, it is unrelated to the cause of his death," Kwak explained.

Police were also unable to find any indications of financial or health related issues nor discover a memorandum on his recent thoughts or a suicide note.

However, for the past few days Park had confessed to his acquaintances that "both work and life are tough," asking to talk again after he had organized his thoughts.

Also, upon arriving at home past midnight after yesterday after drinking, Park had apologized to his father, close to tears, "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I should be the one in pain, not you." Park's father has been diagnosed with late-stage stomach cancer and Park, a devoted son, was in agony over his father's illness.

Kwak added that the actor had taken sleeping pills on several occasions after finding difficulty in falling asleep from having to juggle his business as the CEO of his own agency YONA Entertainment, creating new businesses and pursuing his singing and acting career.

"Based on the testimonies, we are assuming that Park committed suicide on impulse after drinking from stress over his father's illness, his business and entertainment career," Kwak stated.

Park was discovered by his mother at 5:30 a.m. at his house today after he had taken his life. Police presume Park died around 3:00 a.m.

Park, who debuted as an actor in 1994, gained popularity throughout Asia after appearing in "Winter Sonata", a drama that first started the Hallyu craze, alongside top actors Bae Yong-joon and Choi Ji-woo.

He also led a successful singing career in Japan where he placed several albums within the top 10 ranks of the Oricon charts and won four consecutive Japan Gold Disc Awards.

Most recently, he had been set to star in the small screen adaptation of legendary Hong Kong pic "Comrades, Almost a Love Story," across actress Yoon Eun-hye.

He was on a brief visit to Korea this week while on a three-month long 16-city tour in Japan starting last week.

Below are excerpts from the Q&A session of the police briefing.

Q: Had he drank a lot when he took his life?

A: He was under the influence of alcohol when he returned home after midnight on the night of his death. According to his father, he did not drink a lot but a little.

Q: Did you carry out an autopsy?

A: The family of the deceased do not want one. This means that they too do not have any questions over the cause of his death.

Q: Why did his mother open the door to his room at such an early hour?

A: His mother goes to sleep early and Park often went home late. So it is his mother's habit to open the door to her son's room early. She had opened the door early today too.

Q: Was he under a lot of stress over his father's illness?

A: Investigation showed that Park treated his parents well and was the type who is affectionate. He had told his acquaintances many times that he is extremely distressed about the process of his father's fight against the disease.

Q: He was said to have taken sleeping pills over an extended period of time.

A: It was never stated that he took them for an extended period. It has not been confirmed whether he took sleeping pills on May 30 but he did take a few recently. But it has nothing to do with the cause of his death. The cause of his death is suffocation.

Q: Did he not have any financial issues?

A: We do not investigate into one's financial standing when dealing with a death.

Q: Are you sure there was no will?

A: We looked at the notebooks and belongings in his room but we could not find anything which could be considered a will.

Q: Was he suffering from depression?

A: There was no indication either that he had health issues or was suffering from depression.

Q: What about love issues?

A: Nobody has said he had such issues.

Q: Has the case been closed?

A: We handed over the case to prosecutors regarding his body we did not carry out an autopsy on. We have also handed over the body to the family of the bereaved and the case has been closed.

Q: Did you investigate into his phone call records?

A: We got hold of his mobile phone but he had deleted records of his calls. I think he did it himself. The text messages were still there.

Q: Why did he come to Korea when he's on tour?

A: He visited because of his father's illness.

Reporter : Ko Jae-wan star@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@ <©10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

tn_1277891702_1493411481_0.jpg

20100630_1277894019_64945400_1.jpg

June 30, 2010

Top 'hallyu' star Park Yong-ha commits suicide

By Kwon Mee-yoo

Staff reporter

100630_p01_top.jpg

The late Park Yong-ha

Popular actor and singer Park Yong-ha, 33, was found dead at home in southern Seoul Wednesday morning after apparently killing himself, the latest in a series of suicides by top celebrities.

Park, one of the top "hallyu" (Korean wave) stars, was found by his mother hanging from a mobile phone charger cable in his room at around 5:30 a.m., police and family members said. His brother-in-law told reporters that he left no suicide note. "He was found dead at around 5:30 a.m. There was no suicide note. Please pray for him to rest in peace," he said in a press briefing at St. Mary's Hospital in southern Seoul where Park's body was taken.

A paramedic who collected the body estimated the time of death at around 3 a.m.

The previous night Park had repeatedly said "sorry" to his family while giving a massage to his father who is battling stomach cancer, according to police. His fellow actors say that he had been agonizing over his father's illness.

Park debuted in 1994 in MBC's Theme Theater and appeared in several dramas and movies. He rose to stardom in Korea and Japan after starring in the megahit "Winter Sonata" with Bae Yong-joon and Choi Ji-woo in 2002.

Park was also a popular singer in Japan where fans reacted with shock to his death. Tokyo Broadcasting System aired a one-hour special program on Park Wednesday. He debuted as a singer there in 2003 and released several hit albums including "Once in a Summer" in 2009 which ranked sixth on the Oricon daily chart and 14th on the weekly.

He won Japan Gold Disc Awards for "Best Asian Artist" in 2007 and 2008.

He made a successful comeback to Korea through the 2008 drama "On Air," playing the role of a television producer and also starred in the movie "Scam" and drama "The Slingshot" in 2009.

Park had been cast as a main character in the new drama "Love Song" with Yoon Eun-hye, which would have started filming soon. He had also scheduled a concert tour of Japan from June 24 to September and had played one gig in Saitama last Saturday.

Suicides of entertainers

A series of entertainers have killed themselves one after another in the late 2000s.

On Feb. 22, 2005, actress Lee Eun-ju committed suicide over her family's financial problems. Actress Jeong Da-bin and singer Yuni took their own lives in 2007, as did actor Ahn Jae-hwan in 2008.

Also in 2008, iconic actress Choi Jin-sil's suicide shocked the nation as she was famous for portraying a bright image.

These suicides of entertainers prompted copycats in what is known as the "Werther Effect."

According to statistics from the Ministry of Health and Welfare, the number of suicides soared after the well-liked entertainers took their lives. For instance, in January 2007, 289 women killed themselves, but the number rose to 534 in February, after the deaths of Yuni and Jeong.

Hong Jin-pyo, a psychiatrist at the Asan Medical Center, told Yonhap News Agency that entertainers did not seek proper psychiatric treatment due to privacy and fame issues.

"When popular stars take their own lives, like-minded people empathize with their situation and tend to imitate them," Hong said. "We should come up with suicide prevention measures for entertainers and they have to join anti-suicide campaigns to reduce the Werther Effect."

Source: meeyoo@koreatimes.co.kr

tn_1277898662_-137092982_0.jpg

Hallyu Star Park Yong-ha Commits Suicide

At approximately 5:40 AM on June 30, 2010, famed actor Park Yong-ha was found dead in his home in Nonhyun-dong of Seoul. His mother had found his body after Park had hung himself using a phone charger cord. The ambulance arrived at about 5:47 AM and confirmed that not only was he dead, but had been dead for a good two to three hours. Medical officials described his body has cold and hardened, with purple marks indicating that some time had passed after he died. They continued explaining that these purple markings tend to appear about one to two hours after a person has died.

This tragic and early death for the actor only 32 years of age comes just three months after the suicide of Choi Jin-young, brother of famous actress Choi Jin-shil who also committed suicide. Choi Jin-shil's suicide was hot on the tracks of Ahn Jae-hwan's suicide. This heartbreaking trend is one not exactly new to the entertainment industry.

Park Yong-ha was most noted for his role in "Winter Sonata" and "On Air", and was even recently casted as the male starring role in "Love Song" with Yoon Eun-hye.

His wake was held at Gangnam Saint Mary's Hospital where many stars showed up including So Ji-seob, Kim Hyung-joon, Kim Ki-bum, Song Seung-hun, Eru, CNBLUE, Ryu Shi-won, Yunho, Kim Hyun-joo, Kim Min-jung, Park Hyo-shin, PSY, and Eugene.

Source: KBS Global

June 30, 2010

[iNTERVIEW] Actor Choung Kyung-ho - Part 1 - 2

Reporter : Wee Geun-woo Photographer : Lee Jin-hyuk Editor : Lee Ji-Hye Editor : Lynn Kim

2010063015064884198_1.jpg

Choung Kyung-ho [Lee Jin-hyuk/10Asia]

The first time 10Asia attempted to conduct an interview with Choung Kyung-ho was actually around the time SBS TV series "Smile, You" was ending its run. Through the role of playing a hard-working and timid Kang Hyun-soo in "Smile, You," it seemed that Choung had come full circle on playing the type of characters that he often had in his previous works -- happy, handsome characters who appeared to have no particular problems but had a certain something that could not be easily fulfilled. Even the fictional couple in "Smile, You" -- Hyun-soo and Jung-in (played by Lee Min-jung) -- were hugely adored by viewers. But at the time, he needed a break more than an interview and it was pushed back to a later date. At the present time, Choung Kyung-ho may be less "hot" than he was back then. But seeing him choose "The Great Gye Choon Bin" of KBS' "Drama Special" after he gained stardom through "Smile, You", there are even more things 10Asia wants to know about him. Below is what we found out about the actor.

10: It has been quite a while since we saw you in SBS TV series "Smile, You."

Choung Kyung-ho (Choung): I had very little time to rest before I started working on "Smile, You." I had consecutively shot films "Sunny", "Running Turtle" and SBS TV dramas "Princess Jamyung" and "Smile, You." And I was pretty exhausted so I took a little break this time. I went to Jeju island where my father is filming [Choung's father is legendary television producer Choung Eul-yeong who is currently shooting SBS TV series "Beautiful Life"] and took a short trip to Japan. It wasn't really a long break, only about two months, but I feel like it's the first time I took that much time off.

10: But after the break, you made an unexpected choice to appear in KBS' "Drama Special." I thought you would choose a drama that would increase the popularity you gained from "Smile, You."

Choung: I have never thought that I wanted to be a more popular star, not even once. I don't choose my work to make myself look cool. What is important is whether it has a good story, a good director or who my co-stars are. In the case of "The Great Gye Choon Bin," which I just started filming, I chose to do it because my close friend [actress] Jung Yoo-mi is in it, it has an interesting story and I have known the show's executive director Ham Young-hoon since I was young. The show has situations that are a bit unpredictable and funny. I think the drama will be jolly overall.

10: What is your character like? I heard you play an art therapist who is afraid of the dark.

Choung: There are no so-called normal people in "The Great Gye Choon Bin." Everyone has his own pain, relies on others and wants to heal their wounds. My character Wang Gi-nam treats other people with art but he is really the one who should be treated and he doesn't even know that himself. Then he meets a plain girl named Gye Choon Bin (played by Jung Yoo-mi), gets healed and learns how to make it through the darkness and to love.

10: In other words, he grows up in the story. You often play people who gradually mature -- like your characters in the films "Herb," "My Love Week" and in "Smile, You."

Choung: I think all the characters end up growing up inside the story. Just like my character in "Smile, You" became a man when he met Jung-in (played by Lee Min-jung). I was able to show that process because I was lucky in getting to work with good directors.

10: Do you tend to be more attracted to such characters?

Choung: I think it would be boring if the character stays too consistent throughout the story. When something happens, he will go through some psychological changes relating to the incident and he will face the next incident through those changes. The process will definitely not be the same. And I enjoy those changes that occur in the process.

10: In that sense, it was a bit unexpected that you chose to play an expressionless fugitive in the film "Running Turtle."

Choung: I had a pretty tough time shooting "Running Turtle." My character was actually a very difficult one to play. I mean, if I had met a real fugitive in life I would know how to play one. (laugh) I tried to make my character talk less and cover his face up even more but I don't know which would have been better. But I got to meet [Korean actor] Kim Yoon-suk in that film, so I was able to learn a lot and grow as an actor.

10: You mean you want to grow up through the story, like your characters?

Choung: I am twenty-eight years old and I myself feel that I am growing up because I was lucky enough to meet and work with a lot of great actors and directors. Just like my characters grow up in the films. So I like it.

10: You talked about working with senior actors and it seems you often work with people who have acted for a particularly long time. Like Choi Bul-am and Chun Ho-jin in "Smile, You."

Choung: Actor Kang Suk-woo even came to my first birthday party. So I really have to work hard. (laugh) I grew up watching these veteran actors since I was young and it is truly an honor that I get to work with them. Plus, the atmosphere on set was really fun. Actor Chun Ho-jin, who played my father in the show, guided me so that I could act naturally. I am truly grateful to him.

10: You must have learned a lot of good things from them not only acting-wise but also as a person.

Choung: Of course. Actor Choi Bul-am gave me a lot of great advice. I read his book "About The Old Line That Life Is A Play And Humans Are Actors" and learned a lot from it in particular.

10: Perhaps that kind of atmosphere helped you portray your character Hyun-soo in "Smile, You" more naturally.

Choung: I try to keep it as natural as possible. I hung around and talked a lot with director Lee Tae-gon before the shooting and he wanted me to act like I wasn't acting. He told me to just be myself. Being comfortable on set, even I could see that I was acting comfortably. I try to make the acting natural in all my acting projects like it was in "Smile, You."

10: But there must have been some roles that are hard to make seem natural.

Choung: It was really hard to do that in the role of Choi Yoon in KBS TV series "I'm Sorry, I Love You." And you know, there are characters who have jobs that are not easy to make seem natural. Like the national intelligence service agent in MBC TV series "Time Between Dog And Wolf" and the fugitive in "Running Turtle." But getting into such characters is also what makes this job appealing. If I prepare and make my character solid before the shooting, the drama comes out great. I try to work hard in that respect.

10: You mean becoming another person is appealing to you?

Choung: Of course, any role I play is done by me Choung Kyung-ho and so it can't go outside of myself. I still lack in a lot of things and it is hard to live a completely different life like some famous Hollywood actors. But I think it is important to show myself comfortably and naturally within what I can do best as a twenty-eight-year-old actor.

2010063015201021427_1.jpg

10: So what do you think actor Choung Kyung-ho is capable of showing?

Choung Kyung-ho (Choung): I hate being depressed, it is just my nature. I try to be cheerful and I think there are some people who see it as a good thing.

10: Do you want to keep doing something you're good at or do you want to start showing some changes little by little?

Choung: Right now, I just want to work on a good story with a good director and cast. That's what I enjoy.

10: Since you use the word good a lot, what do you think that is? For example, what exactly is a good director in an actors point of view?

Choung: It's hard to explain. It goes the same for actors as well. It is hard to define a good actor. A senior actor who is a good actor may not be a good person. And even if he is a good person, I don't think you can call him a good actor unless the viewers appreciate him. Basically, I think that in order to be called a good actor or a good director, you have to be a good person, more than anything. You can't really call someone a good person or actor if they give people around them a hard time. Luckily, the people that I have met so far were all good actors and directors.

10: However, there are some actors who are so nice that they can't take on their own share acting-wise.

Choung: I myself have heard that a lot of times, how I can't manage my share. I don't think I gave it a lot of thought when I was younger. Now, I think that I should do my best and be responsible when I work on a project.

10: There is a difference between working hard and doing it well.

Choung: Oh, it's different. That is why I feel a lot more responsibility, like how much love I can receive with this production. For instance, there will be a time when I won't be hired for a job I want if my current project doesn't do well. That is why you have to be responsible in everything you do.

10: So, as an actor what do you think is good acting?

Choung: Just being natural. My biggest concerns are not to show off or swagger.

10: There is a chance that actor Choung Kyung-ho might not stand out.

Choung: You just go with the flow like water. If I stand out, I would end up in the gutter. (laugh) I think I learned a lot about that after working with director Lee Jun-ik for the movie "Sunny." That you don't make a movie by yourself but with others.

10: There are some actors who are competitive with their co-stars but you don't seem like the type.

Choung: I can't do that because I'm sort of timid. If they are mad, I try to cheer them up. (laugh) When I was shooting "Time Between Dog and Wolf," director Kim Jin-min was worried that actor Lee Jun-ki and I would be competing to see who the better actor is. He was worried that it might make things uncomfortable luckily, he said we both looked pretty comfortable. (laugh)

10: Are you the type to just melt in with the background?

Choung: I think I'm the type of person who likes to be with others. I also like drinking. (laugh) When you spend time with someone for eight months it's inevitable that you become close like a family. When you're shooting a drama, it may be hard to form a relationship with the tight schedule but eventually as time goes by you become close. Five years ago I shot KBS' "My Sweetheart, My Darling" for about a year, and I still meet and keep in touch with veteran actor Lee Soon-jae and the rest of the crew.

10: Does that kind of stuff help with acting?

Choung: The more relationships you form the more tiring acting becomes. (laugh) There are more stuff to worry about, like 'Is that person mad?' (laugh)

10: The reason I asked that question is, how do you further your acting skills outside of work?

Choung: I would like to study more in any I can. I don't think I have ever studied for acting. I want to and need to read more books and also travel a lot. Up until now, I kept on working and learned a lot from the work, but I feel that I have more to learn outside of that. Actress Bae Jong-ok who was in the movie "Herb" with me, she reads many books and studies a lot. I don't know anyone who knows as much as her and she doesn't even show off about it. I envy that.

10: Watching a lot of good films and dramas is a good way to study. Do you by any chance watch any works by your father [director Choung Eul-yeong]?

Choung: Of course. I watch all of them.

10: What do you think about them?

Choung: It's fun. I really like them, what can I say? In SBS' "Beautiful Life," my father is great too but writer Kim Soo-hyun is really incredible. How can someone who was born in 1943 write a story like that? I think she works hard and thinks a lot about her work. I envy her.

10: What does it mean to you as an actor to have such extraordinary people around you?

Choung: After working in this field I really admire my father more than anyone. I think he is amazing and as his son I cannot imagine ruining my father's reputation. But that is not the only reason why I work hard on set.

10: You don't want to become a star and you aren't motivated by your father's influence. What is the biggest motivation for you as an actor?

Choung: It's always more fun to watch people who have pain or have failed. Through acting I want to live out their lives and feel their emotions. What would I do if it were me. I like approaching characters like that and expressing their lives.

2010063018500116129_1.jpg

2010063018520523983_1.jpg

Reporter: Wee Geun-woo eight@ Photographer: Lee Jin-hyuk eleven@ Editor: Lynn Kim lynn2878@, Lee Ji-Hye seven@ <©10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia 1 l 2 l 3 l 4

June 30, 2010

Lee Byung-hun cleared of defamation charges

Reporter : Ko Kyoung-seok Editor : Jessica Kim

20100524072504019850738_00000006_1_PA.jpg

Lee Byung-hun [Asia Economic Daily]

Actor Lee Byung-hun has been cleared of defamation charges filed against him in March by baseball player-turned-TV personality Kang Byung-kyu.

The Seoul Central Prosecutors' Office ruled Thursday that Lee is "not guilty" of defaming Kang who had claimed he was wrongly accused of his involvement in a feud between the actor and his ex-girlfriend identified by her last name Kwon.

A legal dispute between the former couple had fired up when Kwon lodged a complaint to court saying she was allured into having a sexual relationship with the actor on his false promises of marriage and demanded she be compensated for physical and psychological damage.

Lee too had filed a suit against Kwon as well as Kang, who according to Lee's legal representatives, was behind those who had demanded for money in exchange for exposing details of the actor's personal life.

Prosecutors sided with Lee, indicting Kang in mid-March for defamation and attempted blackmail against the actor. An angered Kang had then countersued Lee for defamation.

"Kang failed to provide detailed testimonies on how Lee marred his reputation and Lee denied the charges through paper so we were not able to find any definite evidence," the prosecutors office explained.

Accordingly, the legal dispute surrounding the two celebrities can be considered concluded.

Kang has also been indicted for his alleged involvement in an assault case on the set of "IRIS" -- then starring Lee -- which he visited in mid-December over talk that Chung Tae-won, chief of Taewon Entertainment and producer of the hit show, had spread false rumor that he was behind the feud between Lee and Kwon.

Kang also has a suspended jail term which he received in February for habitually gambling through online gambling sites.

Reporter : Ko Kyoung-seok kave@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@ <©10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

Actor Lee Byung-hun cleared of defamation charge

Actor Lee Byung-hun, who has been hounded by legal troubles with ex-girlfriend for the past year, has scored a legal victory, as defamation charge against the 40-year-old actor has been dropped.

Prosecution announced Wednesday that the defamation charge against Lee, brought on by former baseball player Kang Byung-gyu, has been cleared.

Kang, 38, sued Lee last March for falsely accusing him of collaborating with the actor's ex-girlfriend to extort money. Lee denied the allegations.

"Kang failed to offer any specific or definitive evidence of defamation," a prosecutor said.

Source: koreatimes.co.kr

June 30, 2010

Director Kim discovers hope in East Timor

By Lee Hyo-won

Staff reporter

DirectorKim.jpg

Director Kim Tae-kyun of "My Barefoot Dream"

talks about discovering the meaning of hope

while shooting the film with young kids in East Timor.

/ Korea Times Photo by Shim Hyun-chul

Most Koreans would shrug if asked about East Timor. The few that may have heard about the small South Asian island are mostly likely aficionados of gourmet coffee, the countrys main export product.

The two countries seem to have a lot more in common however _ "han" or deeply imbedded sorrow pervades both cultures which have been tattered by colonization and civil strife. Yet "jeong," which can be roughly translated as fellow-feeling or collective compassion, keeps the strong family-oriented people together.

"Even the children would smile but their eyes would be weeping. The painful memories of war are still very real, and while there isnt a shortage of food, people suffer from unbalanced nutrition and tuberculosis," said director Kim Tae-kyun, who has become something of an ambassador for East Timor since shooting "A Barefoot Dream" there.

The movie is based on the true story about a failed Korean businessman who arrives in East Timor in search of lucrative business opportunities. He rediscovers the meaning of life as he uses his past experience as a professional footballer to coach the local children. "The wariness of foreigners was palpable when we arrived, but after a while I was treated like family and the kids cried when we had to leave. East Timorese people have a lot of jeong," Kim said.

More than a sports drama, the movie, Kim said, is an ode to hope. "I didnt want to depict a hero in my movie. Its about how these children transform a man who could have lived his life as a slacker," he said. The dark tan from shooting sport sequences under the tropical sun has yet to wear off, but the 40-year-old filmmaker had to harness his strength for some more globetrotting work _ screenings at the U.N. Headquarters in New York, Korea and finally East Timor.

"Barefoot" is a window into East Timor, as it captures the breathtaking natural scenery as well as the reality of a country undergoing development. "It reminded me of what Korea was like while I was growing up, when we were also undergoing rapid economic growth. The electricity went out all the time and the water would stop running. But there were also really tense moments; we were escorted by the police all the time because armed conflict could break out any time."

Yet working with different people and customs in a foreign place is nothing new for Kim, who has shot in obscure parts of Mongolia and China for "Crossing," his previous work about North Korean refugees. "Like 'Crossing,' this kind of project allowed me to expand my horizons and meet new people," he said. As much as "Barefoot" is about a youth football team, Kim established special ties with the local boys. The cast of young actors are members of the actual football squad. They are also East Timors first movie stars.

"The boys are natural-born actors. Tua (one of the characters) should become a movie star instead of playing ball," he said. He gathered the children every morning in a makeshift drama school underneath a tree. "At first the boys had trouble mastering the script because they werent used to reading so much text even in school. But they picked things up easily and took turns playing different roles and would even give each other acting tips."

One of the most affecting parts of the film is how some of the boys from feuding families learn to reconcile through team spirit. "When the two boys shake hands I was touched because it shows how the tragedy rooted in conflicting ideologies can be resolved. Thank you for making such a movie," the East Timorese ambassador to the U.N. was quoted as saying after the New York screening in June, in a statement by the films publicist here. "I look forward to 10 years down the road, to see what will have become of the boys," he said. He was also touched by how the East Timorese people, though materially poor, were rich in other ways. "I wondered if Korean children are happy in this country, where playgrounds are empty because kids have to go to private academies after school," he said.

Kim also emphasized the need for Koreans to expand their scope of interest and become global citizens. "I just spoke with the Foreign Affairs Minister and he said he plans on sending more KOICA (Korean International Cooperation Agency which provides aid to developing countries) volunteers abroad. Hes also agreed to support the establishment of a football school in East Timor, which (the youth football team coach Kim Shin-hwan) has been pursuing for the past several years." The Ministry of Foreign Affairs also funded the making of "Barefoot."

As for his next movie, Kim is not sure yet. But one thing that is certain is that he will continue filmmaking. "Coach Kim is like Don Quixote, he keeps jumping into the unknown. Its just like us movie directors and thats only possible if you hold onto your dreams," he said. His own son, a college student in the United States, recently switched majors from pre-med to communications in order to become a filmmaker. "Its his life and I cant stop him, because he started dreaming."

"Barefoot" is currently being offered with English subtitles at CGV Gangnam and Myeong-dong in Seoul.

Source: hyowlee@koreatimes.co.kr

July 1, 2010

Kwon Sang-woos car troubles force his wife to shut Web site

30220842.jpg

Actress Son Tae-young shut her Cyworld page due to the fallout form her husband's involvement in a car accident earlier this month.

According to news reports, Son's husband, actor Kwon Sang-woo, was driving on the wrong side of the road on June 12 and hit a parked car. He then ran into the police car that had pursued him, continued driving and hit a tree before fleeing the scene on foot. Two days later, he turned himself in at Gangnam Police Station.

Kwon, who stars in the Korean war film 71: Into the Fire, apologized to the public once the accident had been made public, but netizens continued to express their anger toward him on Sons Cyworld page.

The personal attacks on the couple were renewed later in the month when Son appeared at a fashion show after the news of her husbands accident was made public.

Source: joongangdaily.com

July 1, 2010

Park Yong-ha 'Suffered Stress and Depression'

20100630pyh.jpg

Park Yong-ha

The actor and singer Park Yong-ha had parted ways with his former manager and was under stress running his own business before he was found dead in an apparent suicide Wednesday morning, sources in the entertainment industry say.

Park had split with his manager, who became the head of an entertainment agency, late last year and often talked about his disappointment in relationships with people when he began managing his own affairs. He appears to have suffered added pressure when he found out that his father had cancer, several of his acquaintances said

Police said Park had hung himself on his bedpost with an electrical wire. His mother, who found the body, called emergency services immediately, but it was too late. Police said suicide was the most probable cause since there were no signs of forced entry or a struggle. Park left no will or suicide note to give a clue to the motive.

Two or three days before his death, Park apparently told friends that his work and life were "too difficult." Police heard testimony from Park's friends that he suffered from insomnia due to stress and was taking sleeping pills. According to the wishes of the family, no autopsy will be conducted.

Park had returned to Korea on Saturday for a brief stay after a series of successful concerts in Japan marking the release of his new album. He had been busy meeting with friends and associates on the day before he died. On Tuesday he returned home around midnight after drinking with friends and spoke with his father, who is in the terminal stage of stomach cancer, massaging his back and legs. Park is said to have cried and told his father he wished he was the one who was sick.

Police believe his suicide was impulsive. One executive at an entertainment agency who was close to Park said, "He often seemed sad and gloomy because of his father's illness."

His father, Park Seung-in, was an album producer in the 1970s and 80s and a manager for several popular Korean singers. His showbiz background had a profound influence on his son. Park debuted at the age of 17 in 1994 in an MBC TV drama. He rose to fame after appearing along with Bae Yong-joon and Choi Ji-woo in the hit TV series "Winter Sonata" and received the Golden Disk award in Japan for four consecutive years since 2005.

Source: englishnews@chosun.com

Asia stunned as South Korean TV star and singer Park Yong-ha kills himself

Leo Lewis From: The Times July 01, 2010

THE death of one of South Korea's top young stars has stunned millions of fans across Asia and left a nation once again bewailing its sky-high suicide rate.

Park Yong Ha was found dead at his home in Seoul yesterday, hanged by the slender cable of his mobile phone charger. Park, 33, who was midway through a singing tour of Asia, was among a small cadre of South Korean stars who dominate the domestic film and television scene.

No suicide note was found but the immediate cause of the actor's misery appears to have been the strain of caring for his terminally ill father.

His death is the latest in a series of young celebrity suicides that began with the death of Lee Eun Joo, the film star, in 2005.

Three years later Choi Jin Sil, widely regarded as the country's most accomplished actress, took her own life. This year Jin Young, her actor brother, committed suicide.

Suicide rates in South Korea are exceptionally high. Health Ministry figures suggest that the national rate is 24 suicides for every 100,000 people.

Source: theaustralian.com.au

July 1, 2010

So Ji Sub: I Might Not Be Able to Act Again in Drama Like This One

So Ji Sub: I think that I might not be able to find a drama like this one and not be able to portray the type of character that I played again, and it might be very difficult to produce this kind of drama in the future again.

Actor So Ji Sub, who is now appearing in the MBC Wednesday and Thursday drama Road No.1 (written by Han Ji Hoon, directed by Lee Jang Soo and Kim Jin Min), talked with news reporters about what the drama means to him at a caf located in Cheongdam-dong in Seoul on June 28.

He talked about the character Lee Jang Woo, whom he plays, by saying, What he only cares about is Soo Yeon (Kim Ha Neul). He does not think in many ways, instead, he keeps going on while only thinking about her. Whenever I acted, I tried to have the emotion of thinking I love her to death. And actually, the character Jang Woo and I have many similarities. For example, I am also the type of person with single-minded devotion, like Jang Woo.

7429_1328_l.jpg

The blockbuster drama Road No. 1, with an investment amounting to 13 billion won, portrays the love and friendship between one woman (Kim Ha Neul) and two men (So Ji Sub and Yoon Kye Sang) during the Korean War.

The viewer ratings for the first and second episode, which began airing from June 21, recorded only around ten percent.

So Ji Sub said, "I watched the first and second episodes at home alone. Since there are more things to show in the following episodes, I actually do not care much about the poor viewer ratings for the first week. I also read viewers comments about the drama posted on the internet website and found out there are many points of views on the drama. Strangely, I was very uplifted by looking at the criticisms from viewers.

Road No.1 finished filming before the first episode was aired, which is a so-called "drama produced in advance." So mentioned the difficulties that he had to go through when he filmed the drama by saying, I had to go on location continuously, so at first, I took care of my skin and got facial massages, but in the end, I just gave up about skin care. Sometimes it was too cold to just stand outside and sometimes it was too hot to be outside.

7429_1329_l.jpg

Since he appeared in the TV drama Im Sorry, I Love You in 2004, he earned the nickname of stylish Mr. So thanks to his fashion and his way of acting. He said, At first, I thought that the nickname is too much for me, but now I do not care about it anymore. Instead, I just do anything the way I want to do it. I think that the nickname has come from my behavior, that I always do something comfortably without trying to put on airs.

So Ji Sub, who is 34 years old, faced rumors of romance with actress Han Ji Min at the end of last year. He talked about the rumor, I do not know from where that rumor came. I used to hang out with actress Han Jin Min as a friend, but since the rumor has spread, we do not contact each other anymore.

He continued, Right after I was discharged, I broke up with my girlfriend and I have been alone since then. Now, acting is more important for me than seeing someone. He added, I am very much satisfied with my age which is in the mid-thirties because I think that this age is very helpful for acting.

Then he talked about actor Choi Min Soo, with whom he acted together in the same drama. He said, When I first met him, I was surprised. I realized that telling something with the eyes is not a matter of acting ability, but it is an ability that comes from various experiences. In that, I am very satisfied with my age. I can feel myself that the depth of my eyes has been changed compared with before.

Source: KBS Global

June 30, 2010

So Ji-sub denies rumor he will wed Han Ji-min

Actor So Ji-sub has denied a rumor that he will marry actress Han Ji-min.

During an interview with local news media on June 28, he mentioned his relationship with her. I am sorry for her. She must have suffered more than I because shes an actress.

He added since the marriage rumor, I have and could not get in touch with her. Also, or now, I have no plan to get married. I would consider marriage when Im around my 40s.

Asked about his ideal type of woman, he said it is different from time to time, but he likes someone who can make him feel comfortable. After So Ji-sub and Han Ji-min costarred in the KBS soap opera Cain & Abel, rumors were rampant that they would get married in December, even though the two had never admitted to being in a relationship.

In addition, pictures showing So and Han wearing the same rings added fuel to the rumor.

So is currently starring as Lee Jang-woo in the MBC soap opera Road No. 1, which depicts love and friendship during the Korean War (1950-53).

Source: koreaherald.com

July 1, 2010

FACTBOX - Key facts about actor Park Yong-ha

Jessica Kim

coming201006302354390.jpg

Park Yong-ha, a Korean actor and singer, died on Thursday after committing suicide in his house by hanging himself from the cord of his camcorder charger. He was 32.

Following are some key facts about his life and career:

* Park Yong-ha was born on August 12, 1977. He graduated from the College of Media, Performing Art and Imaging Sciences at Chung-Ang University.

* He was the son of Park Seung-in, famed music producer during the 1970-1980s and manager to some of Korea's top veteran singers including Song Chang-sik, Yang Hee-eun and Jung Su-ra. Senior Park is currently suffering from late-stage stomach cancer.

* Debuted in 1994 through public network MBC's "Theme Theater" and made big screen debut in 1998 through "If It Snows on Christmas."

* Career took off in Korea and throughout Asia after starring in smash-hit TV series "Winter Sonata" alongside Bae Yong-joon and Choi Ji-woo in 2002.

* Other TV series included "Loving You," "On Air," and "The Slingshot" while films included "Although it is Hateful Again 2002" and "The Scam."

* Launched singing career in Japan in 2003, winning an award for best new artist at Japan's Golden Disk Award in 2005 to make him the first Korean to win an award at the event. He won awards for four consecutive years; for song of the year in 2006 and best asian artist in 2007 and 2008.

* Established his own agency YONA Entertainment in 2008.

* Mini-album "Once in a Summer" released in July 2009 reached No. 14 on Japan's prestigious Oricon weekly chart and fifth full-length album "STARS" released in June 2010 reached No. 16 on the chart.

* Had kicked off three-month long 16-city tour starting June 19 to promote "STARS."

* Was set to star in "Love Song," a small-screen remake of legendary Hong Kong pic "Comrades, Almost a Love Story" alongside actress Yoon Eun-hye which was scheduled to go into shoot in a month.

* Appointed as goodwill ambassador of non-governmental organization Good Neighbors in August 2009. Visited the Republic of Chad in Africa over several occasions to carry out volunteer work including donating money to help build a school there under his name, YONA SCHOOL.

Jessica Kim jesskim@ <©10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

July 1, 2010

Kang Woo-suk says film 'Moss' was "no show-off"

Photographer : Chae ki-won Editor : Lynn Kim

2010070112312312486_1.jpg

The cast of film "Moss" - (From left) Actors Jung Jae-young, Park Hae-il, Yoo Sun, Yu Hae-jin, Kim Sang-ho, Yu Jun-sang and Kim Joon-bae. [photographed by Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

Press conference for film "Moss"

- Director Kang Woo-suk says "didn't make 'Moss' to show off"

The film "Moss" is based on a popular online comic series that heated up the web in 2009 and recorded a total of 36 million hits during its run. That is why the film must face and compete against the original story of "Moss," known for its many tight plots, before facing moviegoers. The code of humor inserted into the film is certainly the style of a Kang Woo-suk film, but the biggest difference between the film and the original series is the plot twist in the ending. How will the creative ambition of director Kang Woo-suk, who says "If I can't make my story better [than the original], I might as well not make the movie," be evaluated in the future? Below is a summary of what director Kang Woo-suk and the film's lead actors talked about at the film's press conference, held June 29 at Seoul's Wangshimri CGV multiplex.

Q: "Moss" is very different from the "straight-style" of filmmaking seen in your previous films.

Kang Woo-suk (Kang): I did not make the film thinking that I wanted make a transformation as a director or to show people that I too know how tell meaningful and profound stories. I had no desire whatsoever to show off. And I didn't want the audience to think that I wanted to receive an award. Growing old as a filmmaker, I just wanted to avoid doing something I had done often. What I tried to do while I was shooting this film was to make a film that makes people think while they are watching. That is also my desire [as a filmmaker]. I tried to tell a story that was not easy to tell. Even though I was shooting a comedy, I wanted to make a comedy that makes people tense up.

2010070112312312486_2.jpg

Director Kang Woo-suk [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

Q: It is actually a thriller-genre film but you can see comic elements in various places of the film.

Kang: It was burdening. Whenever people who knew the comic series "Moss" asked me if there was humor in the movie, I would sigh when I see the comics. I had the compulsive thought that this is a film that is very difficult to add humor into. This film is not a somber horror movie but I thought we needed to put some breaks in the story to keep the tension alive. There are things that we created on the set. I felt like I would die if this doesn't work. I threw a comical code into characters played by Jung Jae-young and Yu Jun-sang and it was really difficult to shoot. The atmosphere on the set was brutal and the staff wouldn't even laugh when it was funny. I felt so lonely doing it. If I try to create a laughter here and people don't react to it.. I thought it would be the end of my career as a director.

Q: So you are saying it was harder to make a film that is based on an original story. Were there any parts in the original comic series that you wanted to change?

Kang: I wanted to tell a story that was the same but different from the original. The original comic series got such great reviews and it had a huge fanbase who were manias. So there were a lot of people who were attacking me by writing comments. When I saw posts like, "There are a lot of other great directors.. why you?" I thought I really had to go head-to-head with myself. So my first target [to beat] was cartoonist Yoon Tae-ho [who wrote the original comic series "Moss"] because I thought to myself, "If I can't make my story better than yours, I might as well not make the movie.' I predicted that I would be showered with all kinds of negative criticism in the beginning if I can't convince people who loved the original series. This tortured me all throughout while I was making the film. I wanted to top the original series. The roles played by Yoo Sun and Yu Hae-jin were particularly hard to compete with the original characters in the comics. So I put a lot of pressure on the actors. Yoo Sun was baffled because I made her character Young-jae different from what she had thought. I told Yu Hae-jin what I wanted to do and even he told me that we should start shooting two weeks later because he wasn't ready. Park Hae-il didn't even look at me straight in the eye up until the twentieth shooting. When I would call him over, he wouldn't even come over right away. He later confessed, while we were drinking, that he had a very tough time. There a lot more stories about how I tortured my actors, but I'll just leave it here.

Q: What is more, the final ending in the film is different from the one in the original story. Why did you make the ending the way you did?

Kang: That is a very difficult question for me to answer. I want to leave it to the audience because I want them to see the ending with an open mind. I was actually baffled by the ending in the comics because it happened very suddenly. I told Yoon Tae-ho that I was going to make the ending this way and he readily approved. He even wrote me the script for my ending. There are some parts I took from his script and others I deleted. In any case, the ending was set up this way from the beginning of the production and I created the rest of the story by making changes in order to fit the ending.

Q: That must not have been easy to do.

Kang: First of all, I was in a hurry to get the movie made. There were so many stories from the original work that I wanted to tell but it was hard to cut all those stories short. And I had to make the stories valid too. I was trying to make a movie that made sense and the whole time I felt like I was up against the deadline.

Jung Jae-young (Jung): This is my third time working with director Kang Woo-suk. Out of all the movies he has made, he worked the hardest on this film and he had to prepare the most too. I think it was a good adventure, whatever the outcome may be.

2010070112312312486_5.jpg

Actors Park Hae-il (left) and Jung Jae-young [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

Q: It must have been just as hard for the actors. How did the director Kang Woo-suk torture you?

Park Hae-il: If director Kang Woo-suk started making this film because he was attracted by the original comic series, I was attracted by the original story and director Kang Woo-suk. I was very nervous because this was my first time working with him. And in the beginning of the shooting, it was not easy for me to adjust [to Kang's filmmaking style.] I had not worked with director Kang Woo-suk before so I needed the time to learn about his working style. Looking back, working with him allowed me to learn how to see, hear and feel the energy on a new film set. I think it was a good experience, like I had taken a class or something.

Q: Yoo Sun, you were the only female actor on the set. Wasn't it hard for you to act?

Yoo Sun: I think everyone wants to know about that. On the set, I thought of myself as a member of a village rather than an actress. So much so that older actors told me I was like a fellow soldier. It was a unique experience where I felt a strong bond with the other actors.

Q: It must have been hard for you to portray the character Lee Jang, who is much older than you.

Jung: I felt very burdened because there was a lot of controversy when I was first cast for the role. I was able to pull it off because director Kang Woo-suk gave me a lot of support. And I had hypnotized myself too -- telling myself that this is a role for Jung Jae-young.

Q: An old Lee Jang and a young Lee Jang give off a different vibe -- how did you set the tone for character?

Jung: Actually everything [about the character] was written in the scenario and I just did what the director told me to do. I didn't have any special emphasis on playing the two versions. For the younger Lee Jang, I tried to make him feel stronger, faster and more unstoppable and stubborn while for the older one, I tried to make him seem more still and sharper.

Q: Last question. How should we interpret the title "Moss"?

Kang: When I first saw the title "Moss" and the original comic series, I thought it was a really great title. This is something I felt while I was making the film and it's that the word 'moss' feel very friendly when you think of it. The viewers can see who the actors are and who the director is when they watch the film, so all you have to do with the title is deliver the vibe of the film. Personally, I think the word 'moss' has a hidden meaning for the film -- like a moss that grows on a rock, something hiding out. But it is not a title that I created, so I will call Yoon Tae-ho and ask. Then I will tell you.

Photographer : Chae ki-won ten@ Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

July 1, 2010

Park Yong-ha distressed over friend's betrayal, says Ryu Si-won

Reporter : Lynn Kim Editor : Jessica Kim

2010070115385819001_2.jpg

Korean actor and singer Ryu Si-won [R's Company]

Hallyu star Ryu Si-won has said that the late actor Park Yong-ha, who committed suicide early yesterday morning, was heavily distressed by a friend's betrayal, according to Japanese newspaper Sports Hochi on Thursday.

Sports Hochi reported that Ryu shed tears over Park's death at his concert, held Wednesday in Tokyo, saying that someone who is "like a younger brother has gone to heaven."

Ryu described Park as a vulnerable person who was hit with a series of misfortunes, including a betrayal by a close acquaintance.

The late actor, who had been running his own management company YONA Entertainment, is said to have been in a big emotional distress after he and his long-time manager parted over financial issues.

Best known for his role as Sang-hyuk in the smash hit TV series "Winter Sonata" (KBS2, 2002), Park had led a successful acting and singing career in Korea and Japan as well.

However, sources close to Park said that he was recently having a very hard time juggling his career, his company and family problems. His father is currently suffering from late-stage stomach cancer.

Park was found dead in his apartment around 5:30 a.m. yesterday. He hanged himself from the cord of his camcorder charger.

Numerous Korean celebrities, including "Sonata" co-stars Bae Yong-joon and Choi Ji-woo, have visited Park's wake service being held at Seoul's St. Mary's Hospital.

Reporter : Lynn Kim lynn2878@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@ <10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

FACTBOX - Chronology of South Korean celebrity suicides

Jessica Kim

South Korean actor Park Yong-ha was found dead at his home on Thursday after committing suicide by hanging himself with the cord of a camcorder charger. He was 32. Park is the latest in a series of suicides by top entertainers first spurred by actress Lee Eun-ju in 2005.

Following is a chronological list of some of the stars of the small and big screen who took their own life.

* Lee Eun-ju, actress, 24. February 22, 2005. The star of hit films including "Tae Guk Gi: The Brotherhood of War" and "The Scarlet Letter" hanged herself in the walk-in closet of her apartment. Friends and family said she had suffered from severe depression.

* U-Nee, singer and actress, 25. January 21, 2007. U-Nee, a second stage name for Heo Yoon who debuted at the age of 17 under the stage name Lee Hye-ryeon until she pursued a singing career, hanged herself from a door frame in her house. Her mother testified she had suffered from depression. She had also been a target of frequent harsh criticism on the Internet.

* Jung Da-bin, actress, 26. February 10, 2007. Born Jung Hye-seon, the star of TV series "Attic Cat" and sitcom "Nonstop 3," was found dead in the bathroom of her boyfriend's house where she was staying at the time, with a towel wrapped around her neck. Her online blog entries indicated she has suffered from depression.

* Ahn Jae-hwan, actor, 36. September 8, 2008 (date body was discovered). The husband of comedienne Jung Sun-hee was found in his car several days after his death, believed to have committed suicide with toxic fumes as briguette ash was found inside the vehicle. Observers assumed multiple business failures heading for bankruptcy and a hefty sum of debts had driven the actor to take his life.

* Choi Jin-sil, actress, 39. October 2, 2008. An iconic actress in the country with two decades of acting career under her belt, Choi was found dead by her mother at her home with an elastic band around her neck tied to a shower stall. She had suffered from depression since her 2004 divorce from then baseball player Cho Sung-min. She is presumed to have come under greater stress amid rumors circulating on the Internet that she was involved in the suicide of fellow actor Ahn Jae-hwan.

* Jang Ja-yeon, model and actress, 29. March 7, 2009. Jang hanged herself on the stairs of her two-story house just as she started to gain fame while appearing in smash hit TV series "Boys Over Flowers." A seven-page suicide note revealed she had been forced by her former agents to provide sexual favors to several high-profile entertainment figures and journalists. Prosecutors carried out a four-month long probe into the accused but left only her former agents indicted.

* Kim Daul, model, 20. November 19, 2009. The top model, picked as NY Magazines Top 10 Models to Watch in 2008, committed suicide while pursuing her model career in France. She had walked the runways of many of the world's most highly-esteemed fashion brands including Chanel, Vivienne Westwood and Bottega Veneta.

* Choi Jin-young, singer and actor, 39. March 29, 2010. The younger brother of late actress Choi Jin-sil who also took her own life, was found dead at his home after having suffered from his sister's death.

* Park Yong-ha, singer and actor, 32. June 30, 2010. Park's mother discovered Park dead in his room. Police announced the actor took his own life on impulse after drinking from stress over his father's illness and having to juggle his business and entertainment career.

Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

June 30, 2010

Director Kang out to prove fanboys wrong

When the film adaptation of the popular internet comic Moss was announced last year, anticipation for the production was high from legions of loyal fans.

However, that initial excitement soon turned into disappointment when word got out that Kang Woo-suk -- director of such straight forward, mainstream fare as the Public Enemy franchise -- and his Cinema Service production company was taking on the project.

In the eyes of film enthusiasts and critics, Kang has always been considered a commercially driven, hackneyed director who makes low-brow films that provoke the most basic of human emotions.

His films, while huge box office draws, are considered to exploit the pulse of the Korean public through nationalism and themes which pander toward the working class by vilifying the social elite through simplistic, one-dimensional portrayals.

They were essentially tagged as distinctly Korean films which would be impossible to export to foreign markets.

Since Moss was noted for the layered storytelling and the cosmopolitan approach with which its author handled the subtext of social commentary, many had doubted the Kang would be able to do it justice. There were plenty of fanatics of the original comics that wrote on internet message boards (asking) why it had to be me, Kang told reporters Tuesday during the post-screening Q and A session in Seoul. Reading those disparaging remarks, I realized how revered and large a fan base the original had. He added, one-upping the original became our first priority.

20100630001123_0.jpg

The cast of director Kang Woo-suks latest blockbuster Moss pose after the screening at the CGV Wangsimni in Seoul on Tuesday. (From left) Jung Jae-young, Park Hae-il, Yoo Seon, Yoo Hae-jin, Kim Sang-ho, Yoo Joon-sang and Kim Joon-bae. Yonhap News

Before we began production, I told Yoon Tae-ho (author of the original) that if I couldnt overcome his original then I would have made this film in vain. So throughout filming I was always concerned whether I was going to be made a pariah by fans if I didnt do a good job.

Anchored in a classic murder mystery, Moss tells the story of one mans journey into the heart of darkness in a small town deep in the backwoods of the Korean countryside to uncover the truth behind his fathers death.

Its a story full of twists and turns seemingly inspired by American southern gothic literature.

When the original series first began its run two years ago online, the 80-part graphic novel became an Internet sensation -- captivating readers with its labyrinthine whodunnit plot which was accentuated by the richly detailed illustrations of the decaying village that gave it an ambiance of dread that millions of avid readers praised.

This was hardly the type of material many might have expected from a director who notched his first big hit with buddy-cop schlock-fest Two Cops. My interest in directing this film didnt come from my need to mature as a filmmaker, Kang said. My reason was rather simple. I wanted to avoid making another film similar to ones Ive made before in my career. I wanted to make a film with depth about human relationships.

Actor Park Hae-il who plays the son investigating his fathers mysterious death echoed Kangs sentiment saying everyone involved in the production were burdened with the weight of making a film that would do the original source material justice. Right at the outset I wanted to get rid of the pressure that was keeping me down and it was difficult trying to adjust during filming, he said. The experience of trying to understand how director Kang wanted to interpret scenes from the original helped.

Jung Jae-young, whose casting as the ominous village patriarch garnered just as much criticism from fans said, My character from the original and the one in the film carry two completely different images. The only person who got me through all of the backlash from the fans on my being given the role was (Kang Woo-suk) who simply told me I could do a good job and if I dont then thats that, and that made me want to give him the best that I could give him.

The film opens July 15 nationwide and co-stars Yoo Hae-jin and Yoo Joon-sang.

By Song Woong-ki (kws@heraldm.com) koreaherald.com

July 1, 2010

Actor hangs himself from bedpost

30224745.jpg

Park Yong-ha

Actor and singer Park Yong-ha, 33, was found dead in his apartment in Nonhyeon, Seoul, at 5:30 a.m. yesterday by his mother, Euh, 56, presumably from suicide.

According to a statement by Gangnam police yesterday, Park killed himself on an impulse, hanging himself from a bedpost in his bedroom with the cord of a camcorder charger around 4:00 a.m. There was no suicide note found at the scene or on his computer.

Parks father, Park Seung-in, has been battling terminal stomach cancer since being diagnosed late last year, which close friends said made Park very troubled.

Park Seung-in, 62, told police that his son came to his room the previous night with tears in his eyes, saying I should be the one whos sick, not you. Im sorry, Im sorry.

Earlier, Park had met with a close business associate surnamed An for a drink around 9 p.m., but was not overly intoxicated when he returned home at 10 minutes past midnight.

After examining Parks financial and business records, Park had no outstanding reasons to commit suicide, Gangnam police spokesman Kwak Jeong-ki said. There was nothing to rule that he was suffering from depression. We feel that Park killed himself due to overall stress from his career, business and family situation.

After his debut in 1994, Park rose to fame in 2002 playing Kim Sang-hyeok in the Korean serial drama Winter Sonata. He was instantly popular in Japan, where he made his debut as a singer in 2004.

In February, Park and his father established a talent management company, YONA Entertainment, which became a source of stress for the young actor. One of its workers mismanaged funds, an entertainment industry source said. Park was also paying his fathers medical bills and household expenses, because his parents are unemployed. According to the source, his father had fallen into debt, which Park was struggling to pay off.

The actor said on his Twitter account back in April: Ive been using sleep medication for 14 years now, and it hasnt been good.

Throngs of teary celebrities, family and friends paid their respects to Park at the St. Marys Hospital funeral hall in Gangnam, where his sister, brother-in-law and cousin received condolences. Parks mother was hospitalized after losing consciousness from the shock of her sons death.

[Parks body] arrived at 7:20 this morning and there have been crowds of people here all day, said a worker at the hall who asked for anonymity. His funeral service is to be held on Friday at 8 a.m.

Park was recently cast with actress Yoon Eun-hye in an upcoming melodrama series and had been scheduled to fly to Japan in August for another concert tour.

By Christine Kim, Song Ji-hye [christine.kim@joongang.co.kr] joongangdaily.com

Ex-girlfriend mourns Park Yong-ha's death

100701_pm_ex.jpg

A day after actor Park Yong-ha's shocking suicide, his ex-girlfriend Eugene mourned his death in an online letter to her fans.

"Life is precious, so let's pay more attention to family, friends and colleagues," said the singer-turned-actress in a message posted on her fan cafe.

"Whenever I have a hard time, I think about the fans who support me."

Eugene and Park were known to be dating as they starred together in drama 'Loving You' in 2002, but they broke up shortly after the drama ended.

Source: koreatimes.co.kr

July 1, 2010

Kang Woo-seok offers fresh spin on 'Moss'

By Lee Hyo-won

Staff reporter

movie_0701.jpg

A scene from Kang Woo-seok's thriller "Moss," which is based on the popular Internet cartoon of the same name

"You should live like moss, you know, quietly, almost invisibly, stuck underneath a stone," a character snarls to his archenemy.

But the movie, curiously titled "Moss," is unlikely to slip into oblivion. Kang Woo-seok, the first director here to realize the 10-million audience miracle _ which is, mind you, nearly a quarter of the local population _ with "Silmido" makes a comeback with a story based on a cartoon strip with a cult following.

In spite of some details that go amiss as Kang tries to pack in too much, the long running time of two-and-a-half hours goes by in no time _ which says a lot about the high quality of the suspense this film aims to offer. But it also inspires a lot of laughter through some ingenious comic relief in between the thrills.

The cast list had been under much scrutiny among fans of the original cartoon, and Kang may well forever silence those who vehemently opposed choosing the 39-year-old Jung Jae-young in the role of a grandpa in his 70s. It must be said that while Jung sometimes looks like Gollum from "The Lord of the Rings," the improvement in the level of Korean cinemas costume/makeup is impressive, as is Jungs shining talent as an actor.

The movie remains faithful to the original comic, meaning here that Kang has leapt over the problems of translating something with a stubborn vocabulary into a new audiovisual language. But those who have not read the cartoon are not at a loss here _ Kang creates a solid mainstream thriller that will keep any member of the audience at the edge of the seat. "Moss," deserves comparison to movies that are much larger in scope such as Martin Scorceses "Shutter Island."

Moviegoers should be warned that this is no feel-good movie as it probes into uncomfortable issues like a Lee Chang-dong film _ religious fanaticism and violence serve as appetizers before a platter overflowing with revenge and redemption, with human drama and tragicomedy for dessert. Kang himself said it was hard to cook up all that he wanted to say and the struggle shows _ good luck digesting it.

It all begins in a prayer hall back in 1978. Ryu Mok-hyeon (Huh Joon-ho) is a veteran of the Vietnam War who seems to have achieved nirvana while meditating to deal with the guilt of killing people on the battlefield. He attracts people like moths to a light bulb, with nothing but his charismatic glance and a few spoken words.

As people start looking up to him like a resurrected Christ, the prayer halls director feels threatened by Ryus presence and seeks the help of a corrupt, power-hungry policeman Cheon Yong-deok (Jung). Cheon succeeds in imprisoning him but eventually becomes convinced that he can make good use of Ryus ability to win over people for his own master plan _ he is sick of how convicts often resort to criminal behavior after serving multiple times in prison and wishes to create a sort of utopia to convert them once and for all.

The movie then fast forwards to the present. Cheon has retired and is now the greatly respected head of a remote village. Ryu has passed away, and his estranged son Hae-guk (Park Hae-il) arrives for the funeral.

Hae-guk, however, is startled by the uncanny behavior of Cheon and the townspeople. He begins to suspect that his father did not die of natural causes and tries to unravel the mystery shrouding the village.

The film mostly features bright day scenes yet retains much of the suspense factor _ though it could have toned down some of the rather cheesy sound effects highlighting the anticipation of the big bang. While bona fide actors Jung, Park, Yoo Hae-jin, Yu Jun-sang and Yu Sun give skin-crawling performances, its too bad that some of the characters remain rather one-dimensional.

In theaters July 15. Distributed by CJ Entertainment. 163 minutes. 18 and over.

Source: hyowlee@koreatimes.co.kr

July 2, 2010

[movie REVIEW] Man of Vendetta

Star actor cant save weak plot, characters

01210037.jpg

Ju Young-su (Kim Myung-min) and his wife (Park Ju-mi) with their daughter in 'Man of Vendetta'.

Provided by Daisy Entertainment

Films centering on kidnapped children, their terrified parents and their struggle to get their children back have been around for many years, which means it is a daunting task for a filmmaker to produce a distinctive film with that plot.

But that was just the challenge first-time director Woo Min-ho was looking for. The new film, Man of Vendetta, opens this week.

Without giving any information about the protagonist, Ju Young-su (Kim Myung-min), and his family, the film starts from the moment of kidnapping. After the police blow their chance to catch the kidnapper Choi Byung-chul (Um Ki-joon) and he escapes, the film flashes forward eight years.

Instead of the neat and tidy minister he once was, a man who used to tell his followers to forgive their enemies, Ju is a different person. As a businessman, Ju bribes his affiliates; in his personal life he has become more violent and encourages his wife to give up on finding their daughter.

But Ju's life changes again when he receives a phone call from the kidnapper, who demands a ransom in exchange for the girl. The call shakes Ju awake and he vows to get his daughter back. After failing to secure the ransom, Ju lays a trap to catch the kidnapper.

In depicting Jus transformation from pastor to broken human to devoted father, the director avoids the cliche of the happy family whose life is ruined by the loss of a child. In telling his version of the story, however, the director doesnt focus enough attention on plot and character development.

Due to the lack of information about these crucial elements, scenes that are supposed to be sad are not that sad. The result is that Kim Myung-min, an actor who is known as a chameleon, fails to shine in a role that could have been one of his best yet. Thats a pity because Kim is one of a few truly skilled actors in the Korean film industry.

In one scene, Ju goes to the hospital to see his wife, who has been in a car accident and is now in a coma. When he gets to her room, he tells her that their daughter is alive and that he is going to find her. Then, he turns off her life support system. Ju sobs, but I didn't feel anything. Its the same with Choi. Because we dont know him, we dont care about him. It is just disgusting to see him killing people.

Despite the weak structure, there are a couple of good scenes in the film. There is a thrilling scene in which Ju and Choi confront each other over the bag of ransom money at an ice hockey rink. The ending scene, in which the daughter and Ju reunite, is moving.

Maybe because I'm a mother, it was sad to see the daughter, who had gone through so many terrible things, smile when she looks at her father.

By Sung So-young [so@joongang.co.kr] joongangdaily.com

July 1, 2010

Jang Na-ra becomes professor

20100701001150_0.jpg

Korean actress Jang Na-ra will start a new career as university professor in China from September.

Jang, 29, was appointed a professor teaching students at the Department of Theater and Film in Beijing Huajia University in a ceremony on June 30.

Due to her popularity in China as a Hallyu star, more than 100 local reporters attended the ceremony to cover the event.Acting is a study of developing ones own, unique talent. As acting style differs from age to age, young professors are needed in universities. However, I cant do anything with Chinese lines, Jang said with a big smile.

She also went on to say that I personally believe Korean-style education has strong points in the acting area, probably the best in Asia. In my lecture, I will attempt to give lessons on how Hallyu could be a mega-hit across Southeast Asia. Plus, I will work on enhanced and wider recognition of Korean-style education in China.

Jang made her debut in 2001 as a singer with a title song First Story in Korea. Then, she flew to China, achieving huge success not only as a singer but also an actress. Jang starred in a Chinese soap opera with well-known Chinese actor Alec Su. Bratty Princess brought her both fame and success as an actress in China.

Source: koreaherald.com

July 2, 2010

Jang Nara to be associate professor at university in Beijing

Reporter : Lucia Hong Editor : Jessica Kim

2010070218132570068_1.jpg

President of Beijing Huajia University and Korean star Jang Nara [JNdivertisseme]

Hallyu star Jang Nara has been appointed an associate professor at a university in Beijing, according to her agency on Friday.

Her agency announced in a press release that Jang received a letter of appointment from the president of Beijing Huajia University at a press conference in front of 100 media reporters, held at the Beijing International Convention Center on June 30. "Acting is a form of study which is aimed at developing one's attributes rather than teaching something. Each generation has different forms of expressions so wouldn't there be a need for young professors too?" Jang was quoted as saying at the event.

Jang made her debut in the entertainment industry as a singer, releasing her first album "The First Story" in 2001. The album spawned several hit songs including "Burying My Face In Tears" and "April Story," selling over 250,000 copies. She then became a household name with the success of her second album "Sweet Dream" (2002) which sold over 400,000 copies.

Jang also made an impressive crossover into acting, starring in several hit dramas and films including the popular sitcom "Non Stop 2" (MBC, 2001) and "Successful Story of a Bright Girl" (SBS, 2002).

She will be filming a Chinese drama about medicine and the follow-up to "My Bratty Princess" in the fall.

Reporter : Lucia Hong luciahong@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

July 2, 2010

100702_4c2d153076108.jpg

201007020521031001_1.jpg

Japanese Fans Mourn Park Yong-ha

Japanese fans of the Korean actor and singer Park Yong-ha, who was found dead in an apparent suicide Wednesday, are devastated, according to press reports. Tower Records in Tokyo's Shinjuku, Shibuya and other districts, set up memorial corners in their stores for Park. "Fans inquired all day long whether we had Park Yong-ha's albums," said a Tower Records spokesman.

Many fans stopped to offer their condolences at the Shibuya store, which exhibited a photograph signed by Park. The Sankei Sports reported a flood of messages on the Internet.

On Wednesday and Thursday, around 1,000 fans visited a memorial altar set up at a Korean restaurant in Tokyo's Okubo district, where many Koreans live. Fans of all ages stopped by to lay flowers.

2010070200588_0.jpg

Fans mourn as funeral cortege of the late actor Park Yong-ha departs St. Mary's Hospital in Seoul on early Friday morning.

Japanese media focused on the fact that Park was about to start his first Japanese concert tour in five years. A spokesman for the company that released his album in Japan told Nikkan Sports, "Nothing seemed strange about him when he came to Korea on Saturday after completing his concert in Saitama. He seemed very happy about the concert tour in Japan." Park released his fifth album in Japan last month and was getting ready for a 14-city tour there.

Park became popular in Japan after starring as a rival suitor to Bae Yong-joon in the hit TV series "Winter Sonata." He also received the Golden Disk award in Japan for four consecutive years since 2005, consolidating his position as one of the most popular Korean stars in Japan.

2010070200588_1.jpg

Source: englishnews@chosun.com

tn_1278025442_2089230814_0.jpg

July 2, 2010

Culture ministry to end cash support for art, independent films

By Kim Hyun

SEOUL, July 2 (Yonhap) -- The culture ministry said Friday it will terminate cash support for independent and art movies, following controversy over influence peddling in the funding scheme.

The Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism provided 3.3 billion won (US$2.7 million) for art and independent films last year, but the cash funding was dropped in its 2011 budget recently submitted to the finance ministry. Funding for screenwriting, worth 1.2 billion won this year, was also abolished.

The move follows controversy surrounding the Korean Film Council, an arm of the culture ministry, whose chief was found to have wielded influence on a jury panel in a scenario funding scheme. Under pressure from Cho Hee-moon, the jury disqualified Lee Chang-dong's "Poetry" even though it later won the best screenplay at the Cannes Film Festival.

"Not only in this government but before in the previous one too, disputes never ceased to exist about the funding selection process. It's our government's position that support for independent and art movies should be changed from cash to various indirect measures," Yu Byung-han, cultural content industry director at the ministry, told reporters.

The specific funding for art and independent movies will be scrapped, but the ministry will instead expand "indirect support" for filmmakers in general over production, distribution and human resources, Yu said. Detailed measures were yet to be discussed.

"For filmmakers, this can be a shock because they won't receive any more cash. But this is to improve the cinema support system in the long term," Yu added.

The ministry's overall budget for cinema development will decrease to 42.1 billion won from 44.4 billion won this year. Yu explained the reduction goes hand in hand with the government's policy to shrink its budget next year.

Source: hkim@yna.co.kr yonhapnews.co.kr

Archived