[News] Drama, Movies, Actors & Actresses

Guest CindyW88

June 28, 2010

Yoon Eun-hye as female star in TV remake of "Comrades"

Reporter : Yun Tae-hui Editor : Lucia Hong

2010062814581934664_1.jpg

Korean actress Yoon Eun-hye [3Park]

Korean actress Yoon Eun-hye has been chosen as the female lead of a Korean remake of the popular Hong Kong movie "Comrades, Almost a Love Story," according to the show's producer Verdi Media on Monday.

Yoon will be playing the role of Yoo Chae-hwa, a Korean residing in China, in the remake tentatively titled "Love Song" alongside Korean actor Park Yong-ha, an official at Verdi announced through a press release.

The official added that the actress' return to the small screen is already creating buzz not just domestically but also internationally -- Verdi has been receiving inquiries regarding the publication rights for "Love Song" since all of Yoon's previous works had been received favorably in Japan and other countries overseas.

"Comrades," starring top Hong Kong actors Maggie Cheung and Leon Lei, was the top-grossing foreign film in Korea when it released in 1997. The movie is an epic love story between two Chinese mainlanders who meet and fall in love in Hong Kong.

The remake is set to begin shooting in late July and scheduled to hit the small screen at the end of the year.

Yoon Eun-hye made her debut as a member in the girl group Baby VOX in 1997. She has appeared in numerous variety shows and entertainment programs after leaving the group in 2005.

She rose to stardom after starring in the smash hit TV series "Coffee Prince" and in "My Fair Lady."

She is currently helping out children in Africa as a part of a UNICEF campaign titled "Never Alone" with SS501 member Kim Hyun-joong.

Reporter : Yun Tae-hui th20022@ Editor : Lucia Hong luciahong@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

• Replies 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

June 28, 2010

Gay celebrity Hong Seok-cheon to speak at U.S. embassy forum

20100628153447_bodyfile.jpg

SEOUL, June 28 (Yonhap) -- The U.S. embassy in Seoul will hold a forum on the rights of homosexuals later Monday, with Hong Seok-cheon, the first South Korean to come out, invited as the speaker.

The event was organized by Gays and Lesbians in Foreign Affairs Agencies in Seoul, an organization representing homosexual, bisexual and transgender members in the U.S. embassy. It follows U.S. President Barack Obama's designation of the month of June as "Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Pride Month," the embassy said.

Hong was the first major Korean celebrity who openly admitted that he was gay. The announcement of his sexuality in 2002 sparked a resounding controversy in the country, and Hong was dropped from most of his television appearances and other media engagements.

Hong has since involved himself in speaking up for sexual minorities and made a comeback in dramas and variety shows.

Source: hkim@yna.co.kr yonhapnews.co.kr

S. Koreans' tolerance of homosexuality increasing: gay actor

By Kim Hyun

SEOUL, June 28 (Yonhap) -- South Korean individuals are more accepting and less judgmental of homosexuality than 10 years ago, but public equality for homosexuals is still a long way off, Hong Seok-cheon, a gay celebrity, said Monday.

Invited by the U.S. Embassy to speak on homosexual rights, Hong expressed regret over the recent rejection by a Korean government agency to lend space to the event, which was then rearranged to be held at the embassy.

The gay rights forum was initially set to take place at the Soma Museum of Art at Olympic Park in southern Seoul, where an exhibition of renowned U.S. gay artist Keith Harrying is under way. But the arrangement was canceled last Friday when the Korea Sports Promotion Foundation, which has jurisdiction over the museum, refused to allow the gay event to be held there, according to organizers at the embassy. "I'm proud to be Korean, I stayed up all night to watch World Cup football games and cheer on Korean team and had fun. But when I heard what happened and about KSPF, I was a bit ashamed. I thought Korea could do better," Hong said.

The event was organized in Seoul by Gays and Lesbians in Foreign Affairs Agencies, a U.S. organization representing homosexual, bisexual and transgendered people. It follows U.S. President Barack Obama's designation of the month of June as "Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Pride Month."

Hong, 39, was the first major Korean celebrity who openly admitted that he is gay. The announcement of his sexuality on a live television program in 2002 sparked resounding controversy in the country, and within a day, Hong was dropped from all of his television and radio appearances.

Hong has since involved himself in speaking up for sexual minorities and in 2003 made a comeback to television.

He came out "to be happy" but subsequent fingerpointing and unfair treatment made him think of leaving Korea and even suicide. "I was scared of life here, and as an actor, I had a very unstable career in front of me," he said. "But it seemed irresponsible to run away from things I caused and to run away for my safety. That's why I stayed in Korea for the past 10 years, engaging in various activities with gay rights organizations and friends."

His courage earned him the public spotlight, but such attention isn't helpful for his acting career."In fact as an actor and public figure, I always have to speak and give interviews, this is a serious blow to my career as an actor," he said. "But this is not a story of somebody else, this is my story and stories of the people that are just like me. That's why I can't stop doing all this."

Individual tolerance over homosexuality has improved considerably in Korea, as demonstrated in recent hit soaps with gay themes, such as "Life Is Beautiful" and "Personal Taste," but the issue still is almost seen as a taboo on the political scene, he said. The conservative Lee Myung-bak government has cut its budget for sponsoring non-governmental organizations on homosexual equality, he argued.

Life seems easier for Hong now: he has transformed himself into a successful restaurant chain owner, and he has a Korean-American boyfriend. And thanks to a family law revision in 2008, he adopted two of his nephews as his children. On Monday, the U.S. Embassy bestowed on him the 2010 Person of Courage Award.

Hong describes himself as an "insomniac workaholic" who is hard on himself, but who is still judged by his sexual orientation. "I'm very much used to working all the time and having no sleep at all, and I wondered where this habit came from," he said. "When a homosexual works 10 times as much a heterosexual, he or she can live equally. I think that is the stage where Korea is yet." Hong said.

June 28, 2010

Lee Ji-hoon, Oh Jong-hyuk cast in musical "Thrill Me"

Reporter : Kang Seung-hun Editor : Lynn Kim

2010062811193629146_1.jpg

Korean singer-turned-actors Lee Ji-hoon (front) and Oh Jong-hyuk [Musical Heaven]

Korean actors Lee Ji-hoon and Oh Jong-hyuk have been cast in a musical production titled "Thrill Me," according to the show's producer Musical Heaven on Monday.

Lee will play the role of "he," a nineteen-year-old who believes he is above everyone else, while Oh will portray "I," who is from a wealthy family and has everything but takes part in a crime out of his distorted love for Lee's character. "I feel like I am taking on a new genre because it is a musical but it's a two-person play that has strong theatrical elements," Lee was quoted as saying. "I will be completely absorbed in the character 'he' and show you a great performance on stage."

Oh also expressed his anticipation toward his new role, saying "I am very nervous and feel pressured as well... But I will concentrate on 'I' from the moment the show starts till the curtain goes down."

Lee, 31, debuted as a singer in October 1996 with the single "Why the Heaven." He has released six studio albums and one special album as a project group "S" with his close friends Kangta (of boy band H.O.T.) and Shin Hye-sung (of Shinhwa). He has also crossed over to acting, appearing in several television dramas and films including "Wet Dreams 2" (2005), "New Heart" (MBC, 2007) and "You Are My Destiny" (KBS, 2008).

Oh, 27, debuted as a member former pop/hip-hop group Click-B and went solo after the group disbanded in 2002. He made his musical debut in "On Air - Season" in 2008 and also appeared in MBC's daily drama "Enjoy Life" (MBC, 2010).

"Thrill Me," which started its run on May 14 with six other actors, is based on a real-life homicide that occurred in Chicago in 1924.

Lee and Oh will start performing next month at The Stage theater in Seoul's Shinchon district. Further details about their schedule will be available on July 8.

Reporter : Kang Seung-hun tarophine@ Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

June 28, 2010

Ku Hyu-sun and co-stars head to Broadway to shoot "The Musical"

Reporter : Ko Jae-wan Editor : Lynn Kim

2010062817095740124_1.jpg

(From left) Korean actors Ku Hye-sun, Choi Daniel and Ock Ju-hyun

Korean actors Ku Hye-sun, Choi Daniel and Ock Ju-hyun have left for Broadway to start shooting upcoming TV series "The Musical." They will be filming their location shoots in Broadway of New York, which will show how the three characters first meet each other in the city.

Ku, who plays the role a medical student dreaming of becoming a musical actor, will be making her much-awaited comeback to the small screen since starring in last year's smash hit TV series "Boys Over Flowers."

Choi, who rose to stardom after appearing in the popular sitcom "High Kick Through The Roof" (MBC, 2009-2010) has been cast as a genius composer while singer and actor Ock will portray a diva in the musical world named Bae Gang-hee.

"Musical," a story about the passion and romance among the producers, songwriters and actors in a musical production, will shed light on the world of musicals.

The show will be written by noted writer Kim Hee-jae who penned the hit films "Silmido" and "Another Public Enemy."

Reporter : Ko Jae-wan star@ Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

June 29, 2010

Kim Hyun-joong signs with Bae Yong-joon's agency

Reporter : Lynn Kim Editor : Jessica Kim

2010062909354867633_1.jpg

Korean singer and actor Kim Hyun-joong [KEYEAST]

Korean singer and actor Kim Hyun-joong, the leader of idol group SS501, has signed an exclusive contract with Bae Yong-joon's agency, according to a press release by KEYEAST on Tuesday.

"We plan to provide more professional and concentrated support so that Hallyu star Kim Hyun-joong can go beyond Asia and grow into a global entertainer," Yang Geun-hwan, the president of KEYEAST, was quoted as saying.

KEYEAST also explained that they plan to support Kim's overseas activities through its Japan affiliate DA (Digital Adventure) and carry out various promotions with DATV, a cable channel for Asian entertainment programs.

Rumors of Kim teaming up with Bae first surfaced last month when it was reported that Kim and Bae had a private meeting. Kim and his band SS501's contract with agency DSP Media expired on June 8.

But at the time, DSP downplayed the rumor, saying it was only a personal meeting between Kim and Bae, a close friend and mentor figure to the young star.

Earlier this month, several media reports had claimed that Kim had indeed signed a management contract with KEYEAST. But an official at KEYEAST dismissed the reports as "groundless" and said that they had not signed with the singer.

DSP Media also released a statement on Tuesday, saying other band members have not yet decided on their future plans.

Kim Hyung-jun will continue working as a deejay on SBS' radio show "Radio Music High" while Heo Young-saeng, Kim Kyu-jong and Park Jung-min will be taking a break and make a decision later on.

Kim, 23, is the leader of boy band SS501, one of the most successful K-pop acts in Asia since their debut in 2005. The singer has also done some acting work, most notably in the smash hit drama "Boys Over Flowers" last year alongside actors Lee Min-ho and Ku Hye-sun.

SS501, who released the album "Destination" last month, have been promoting their latest single "Love Ya."

Reporter : Lynn Kim lynn2878@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

June 29, 2010

So Ji-sub says felt bad for Han Ji-min over marriage rumor

Reporter : Park So-yoen Editor : Lynn Kim

20100621095758058562209_00000002_1_PA.jpg

Korean actor So Ji-sub [Asia Economic Daily]

Korean actor So Ji-sub has said that he "felt bad" for actress Han Ji-min, his co-star in last year's TV series "Cain and Abel," about their marriage rumors last year.

The actor made the remark during an interview with Asia Economic Daily on Monday, speaking up about the rumor for the first time. "I don't know why such talk came up. First came the marriage rumor and that there would a press conference the following day in regards to it but no reporter actually knew about it," explained the actor. "I even saw a photo referring to what they called a couple ring but there was no such thing."

"I felt bad for her [referring to Han Ji-min] because [marriage rumors] could be fatal for an actress," So said.

Last August, reports said the two stars were dating, but So and Han had both denied any romantic involvement through their agencies. "I really want to meet a woman now. My idea of an ideal woman changes but I want someone who is very understanding and comfortable to be around," So added.

So, 32, is one of the most popular actors in Korea who has appeared in numerous TV dramas and movies since his debut in 1995. He became a household name in Asia with the back-to-back success of "Something Happened in Bali" (SBS, 2004) and "I'm Sorry, I Love You" (KBS, 2004).

He currently stars in MBC's war drama "Road No.1," playing a soldier who is madly in love with one woman, played by actress Kim Ha-neul.

Reporter : Park So-yoen muse@ Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

June 29, 2010

Takenaka Naoto joins "Domangja s1" cast

2010062915275596204_1.jpg

Japanese actor Takenaka Naoto in a scene from "Nodame Cantabile"

Veteran Japanese actor Takenaka Naoto is the latest actor to join the A-list cast of the upcoming KBS2 TV series "Domangja s1," according to a press release by the show's producer on Tuesday.

The actor will be playing the role of Hiroki, who wields his powers in the Japanese political and business world by day and in the Yakuza world by night.

So far, the star-studded line-up for the romantic comedy-intelligence action drama includes multi-talented entertainer Rain and Lee Na-young in the lead roles with Daniel Henney, Lee Jung-jin and Kong Hyung-jin playing supporting characters.

Filming for "Domangja s1," about a hefty sum of money popping up sixty years after it disappeared in times of the Korean War, will take place in various Asian cities including Tokyo, Osaka, Yokohama, Shanghai, Beijing, Macau and Hong Kong.

The series will be directed by noted television producer Kwak Jung-hwan and written by Chun Sung-il, the duo behind the recent hit TV series "The Slave Hunters" earlier this year.

Takenaka Naoto, 54, who is also an accomplished comedian, director and singer, has appeared in numerous television dramas and films to date.

Some of his best-known works include films "Shall We Dance?" (1996), "Waterboys" (2001) and "Nodame Cantabile" (2006), where he played an eccentric German conductor.

"Domangja s1" will premiere in Korea around late September.

Reporter : Lynn Kim lynn2878@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

June 29, 2010

Kim Nam-gil receives military draft notice for July 15

Reporter : Ko Jae-wan Editor : Lynn Kim

20100617081237052520681_00000019_1_PA.jpg

Kim Nam-gil in a scene from TV series "Bad Boy" [sBS]

Korean actor Kim Nam-gil, who is currently starring in SBS TV series "Bad Boy," has been notified to enlist in the army by July 15, as part of fulfilling the country's mandatory two-year military service.

"It is true that Kim Nam-gil received a draft notice for July 15," an official at the show's production company Good Story said in a phone call with Asia Economic Daily on Tuesday. "But he is in the middle of shooting the drama... We cannot say that he will be going to the military on July 15 no matter what."

The official further explained that broadcaster SBS and Good Story are trying to delay his military entrance date until the shooting for "Bad Boy" wraps up.

The 20-episode Wednesday/Thursday evening drama, which premiered on May 26, is scheduled to run until the last week of July.

Recently, actor Lee Jun-ki tried to defer his military entrance date as well, in order to finish up shooting for film "Grand Prix" and upcoming blockbuster TV series "Faith." He eventually pulled out from both projects when he was unable to do so and entered the army on May 3.

Kim, 29, made his debut in 2003 and has appeared in notable dramas such as "Be Strong Geum Soon" (MBC, 2005), "Goodbye Solo" (KBS2, 2006) and "Lovers" (SBS, 2006).

He became a household name last year playing the role of Bidam in MBC's historical drama "Queen Seon-deok" alongside top Korean actress Ko Hyun-jung.

Reporter : Ko Jae-wan star@ Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

June 29, 2010

Song Hye-kyo again denies cast in film with Wentworth Miller

Reporter : Park Kun-ouc Editor : Jessica Kim

2010062917120584129_1.jpg

Actress Song Hye-kyo [Lee Ki-bum/Asia Economic Daily]

Song Hye-kyo's agency has again denied a report that the actress has been cast in a Chinese film alongside American actor Wentworth Miller.

"It is not true that she has received an offer to be cast in the movie," an official at Song's agency SidusHQ told Asia Economic Daily over the phone on Tuesday, responding to an article by local sports daily Chosun Sports saying the actress was being considered for a role in "Ji Xian Feng."

"We didn't even know such a movie existed and found out that it was going into production only through other news reports," added the SidusHQ official.

The report by Chosun had quoted an official of the film's production company Imaginary Starlight saying at a press conference for the film that they were "in talks with Song and Miller although it is not at a level where it can be opened to the public."

Starlight had made an official announcement at the event that Chinese actors Donnie Yen and Zhang Ziyi had been cast to play the main characters in the 16 billion won film to be helmed by Stanley Tong.

Chinese media had first reported of Song and Miller's casting for the film in December of last year but Song's agency had said the rumor was "groundless."

Song, 28, shot to fame in hit KBS TV series "Autumn Fairy Tale" co-starring Hallyu stars Won Bin and Song Seung-hun, gaining increasing popularity throughout Asia with her roles in several successful TV shows thereafter including "All In" opposite Lee Byung-hun and "Full House" alongside Asian pop sensation Rain.

Reporter : Park Kun-ouc kun1112@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> http://10.asiae.co.kr

June 29, 2010

[iNTERVIEW] Actor Yoo Yeon-seok

Reporter : Wee Geun-woo Photographer : Chae ki-wonEditor : Lucia Hong Editor : Jang Kyung-Jin

Interview with actor Yoo Yeon-seok

2010062914491825974_1.jpg

Korean actor Yoo Yeon-seok [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

My name is Yoo Yeon-seok. My real name is Ahn Yeon-seok but my agency suggested I go with another name because it sounds a bit weird. My mother's last name is Cho so I was going to go with Cho Yeon-seok but I felt that if I changed it I would only get supporting roles. And it would be weird if I called myself Joo Yeon-seok. (laugh) After thinking about it I changed it to Yoo Yeon-seok and plus it sounds good too.

I was born on April 11, 1984.

My father is a professor of selenodesy. I lived in Seoul until I was six years old and we moved to the South Gyeongsang Province because my dad was posted at a national university there. I spent most of my school years there and when I was a junior in high school I wanted to take up acting so I followed my brother who was studying another year to enter university to Seoul and the two of us lived near Sejong University. We still live together, near the district of Samseong. Sometimes our mom comes to cook for us.

I can speak with a Gyeonsang Province accent as well as the standard Seoul dialect. My parents used the standard dialect when I was younger but I spoke with an accent because of my friends. I fixed the accent after coming to Seoul but whenever I go back to Jinju to meet my friends the dialect comes out naturally. I feel that as an actor, being able to speak in both the standard dialect and with an accent is an advantage.

I don't gain weight easily. I began to work out doing muscle exercises because I didn't want to look small since when I was younger I was skinny. I have quite a complex about my physique of not gaining weight but I feel more relieved nowadays because it's popular to have smaller yet defined muscles.

I was able to have a role in the movie "Old Boy" because of this older sister I met at an acting school when I was in high school. She was the same person who told me that I looked like actor Yoo Ji-tae and later on, she became part of the wardrobe team. I was able to get the role because she gave me a call about the child actor audition. I never had to pass out my resume.

In order to shoot the scenes where we are running and gasping hard in MBC's "Running 9," we purposely put on glycerin and ran ahead of going into shoot. But we didn't have to do any of that once we actually went into shoot because we would naturally sweat and be gasping for air from running a lot.

I did a movie when I was serving my mandatory military service. It was when I was a sergeant and each unit had to come up wtih ways to prevent accidents. We pestered the management saying we were going to create a movie because one of my successors was studying cinema directory at Dongguk University. We told them we would borrow the equipment from the school. We won an award from our unit for our video, which we made with a 6mm digital camera, on preventing suicide, and we were given a four day vacation.

Actor Kim Gap-soo, who played the role of my father in MBC's "Hon" is very considerate. There are other actors who at that age and experience would blow up at the director if they are frustrated. There was a lot of shoots done at night since "Hon" a horror thriller. The crew wasn't given any specific time to sleep the shoots would just continue on after they would be gone for a week to 15 days but Kim Gap-soo never complained.

I myself picked out the half-rimmed glasses for my role as Baek Jong-chan. I told my stylist to prepare several pairs and after looking them over I picked the one that made me look the most obnoxious (laugh). I think one's looks changes depending on the glasses. In MBC's "General Hospital 2" I wore these round horn-rimmed glasses which made me look like Brainy Smurf.

I like film cameras. While I was in the military, my father gave me a Leica M3 camera because he has a lot of interest in cameras since he works in surveying. When I was in the military and studying the books in original text, I realized that I liked taking pictures as much as I liked being in them. I also have a DLSR but it isn't that great so when I'm shooting I use it as a monitor. I have eight polaroid and film cameras. What I like about polaroids is that the staff likes to receive the photograph after taking a picture together. Nowadays you dont have the hard copy of photos because everyone is posting up the pictures that they take with a digital camera. Also if you have the pictures you don't have to worry about the pictures leaking out.

2010062917004797770_1.jpg

2010062916563964162_3.jpg

Reporter : Wee Geun-woo eight@ Photographer : Chae ki-won ten@ Editor : Lucia Hong luciahong@, Jang Kyung-Jin three@

<©10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia 1 l 2 l 3

June 30, 2010

Actor Park Yong-ha found dead in apparent suicide

Reporter : Lim Hye-seon Editor : Jessica Kim

2010063008282435541_1.jpg

Actor Park Yong-ha [YONA Entertainment]

Singer and actor Park Yong-ha was found dead at his home today morning after apparently committing suicide, according to a police source.

Gangnam Police Station said Park's mother found the 32-year-old celebrity hanging himself from the cord of his mobile phone charger at around 5:30 a.m.

Police have yet to announce the details to Park's death -- they are investigating into the cause behind his suicide based on testimonies by his family.

A source close to the actor said Park had been having a hard time coping with his father's illness. "He had much filial love for his parents. I heard his father, suffering from a chronic disease, was recently moved home from the hospital."

Park's body has been placed at Seoul St. Mary's Hospital.

Park, 32, gained popularity throughout Asia after appearing in "Winter Sonata", a drama that first started the Hallyu craze, alongside top actors Bae Yong-joon and Choi Ji-woo.

He has also led a successful singing career in Japan where he has placed several albums within the top 10 ranks of the Oricon charts and won four consecutive Japan Gold Disc Awards.

Most recently, he had been set to star in the small screen adaptation of legendary Hong Kong pic "Comrades, Almost a Love Story," across actress Yoon Eun-hye.

A major Hollywood studio had shown interest in the series which was revving up to go into shoot around late July and air in Korea at the end of the year.

Reporter : Lim Hye-seon lhsro@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved>

http://10.asiae.co.kr/Articles/new_view.htm?sec=ent0&a_id=2010063008423465761

Park Yong-ha's devotion to father led to death, say sources

Editor in Chief : Hwang Yong-hee Reporter : Kang Geyong-rokEditor : Jessica Kim

2010063009372964381_1.jpg

Park Yong-ha [YONA Entertainment]

Sources close to singer and actor Park Yong-ha, who was found dead this morning in an apparent suicide, have said it may be Park's great filial piety toward his father that led to his death.

According to multiple sources, Park moved in with his father, suffering from late-stage stomach cancer, so he could look after him.

He had even been reconsidering his decision to star in "Love Song," a small-screen remake of legendary Hong Kong pic "Comrades, Almost a Love Story," to spend more time by his father's side, sources said.

The series, also starring actress Yoon Eun-hye, was set to go into shoot around late July and go on air in Korea by the end of the year.

Sources also said Park and his father were like "close friends," with Park taking his father on tour with him to Japan as well as often discussing his career with him -- Park's father was a famed music producer in the 1970s to 1980s and the manager of veteran singer Song Chang-shik.

Hence, being the devoted son he is, Park probably tormented himself over his father's illness and chose to commit suicide, explained the sources.

News of Park's death has stunned fans and the entertainment industry as the celebrity, also a popular figure in Japan after starring in smash-hit series "Winter Sonata" alongside Bae Yong-joong and Choi Ji-woo, had been actively pushing forth his career as well as taking part in volunteer work.

Having led a particularly successful singing career in Japan, placing several albums within the top 10 on the Oricon charts and winning four consecutive Japan Gold Disc Awards, Park had attracted 20,000 fans to a concert marking the fifth year since his debut in the country and was set to go on a three-month long 16-city tour starting last week.

He had also visited the Republic of Chad in Africa over several occasions since last year as a goodwill ambassador of non-profit organization Good Neighbors and had donated money to help build a school under his name, YONA SCHOOL, in the country.

Park was found hanging himself from the cord of his mobile phone charger at 5:30 a.m. in his house. His body has been placed at Seoul St. Mary's Hospital.

Editor in Chief : Hwang Yong-hee hee21@ Reporter : Kang Geyong-rok rock@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@

<ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

June 30, 2010

Actor Park Yong-ha Found Hanged in His Room

Actor Park Yong-ha was found dead of apparent suicide at his home in Nonhyeon-dong in Seoul early Wednesday morning. He was 33.

Police said the actor's mother reported she found him hanging from the cord of his cell phone charger in his bedroom.

Police are investigating based on statements from the family.

Park debuted with the TV drama "Theme Theater" in 1994 and became popular in Japan and Southeast Asia with his appearance in the soap opera "Winter Sonata" in 2002. He was also a singer.

Source: englishnews@chosun.com

20100630093421bodyfile.jpg

SEOUL, June 30 (Yonhap) -- Park Yong-ha, a Korean actor and singer, was found dead at his home in Seoul early Wednesday morning in what appeared to be a suicide, police said.

Park's body was found at his home in Nonhyun-dong, southern Seoul, at around 5:30 a.m. by his mother, police said, noting that he appeared to have hanged himself. No suicide note has been found.

According to his family, Park said "I'm sorry. I'm sorry," last night after massaging his father, who is terminally ill with stomach cancer. His family and acquaintances said Park had been severely distressed by his father's disease.

The 33-year-old actor and singer, who debuted in 1997, is widely known across Asia for his role in the 2002 hit drama series "Winter Sonata," and has also released song albums.

Last month, Park was cast as the leading role for a Korean television drama, which is a remake of the popular 1996 Hong Kong film, "Comrades, Almost a Love Story." The shooting was set to begin in July.

Source: ejkim@yna.co.kr yonhapnews.co.kr

PARK YONG HA soompi thread

http://www.soompi.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12088

June 30, 2010

Kim Ha-neul heats up Japan fan meeting

2010063008315468599_1.jpg

Korean actress Kim Ha-neul performing at her fan meeting held in Tokyo,

Japan on June 26, 2010. [J. One Plus Entertainment]

Hallyu star Kim Ha-neul has successfully wrapped up her first-ever solo fan meeting in Japan over the weekend, according to her agency J. One Plus Entertainment on Wednesday.

J. One Plus explained in a press release that the actress held a fan event titled "Kim Ha-neul's Love Letter," which was hosted by Yamaha A&R and held at Tokyo's Ginza Yamaha Hall on June 26. Tickets for the event are said to have sold out in 15 minutes after going on sale on the Internet last month.

"Entertainment industry officials in Japan have completely fallen for Kim Ha-neul's chameleon-like charms," an official at J. One Plus was quoted as saying. "We believe she will be easily loved in the Japanese market and we will carefully look over all the offers we receive."

The actress, who flew into Japan Haneda Airport last Friday, was mobbed by hundreds of fans who showed up at the airport and conducted exclusive interviews with seven local media outlets including Asahi TV.

The following day, before the fan meeting, Kim held a press conference which was attended by some 100 major media outlets.

During the fan meeting, Kim told the host she "was so nervous that [she] could not get any sleep" the previous night. She entertained fans with details about her family, her debut years and anecdotes from shooting "My Girlfriend Is An Agent," "On Air," and "Road No.1."

She also performed two songs, "First Love" by Korean singer Lee So-ra and "Goodbye Day" by Japanese singer Yui, and handed out logo-imprinted umbrellas, hats and badges to fans as a gift. Unlike most promotional events of male Hallyu stars which are usually attended by middle-aged women, Kim's fan meeting attracted many women in their twenties and male fans as well.

Kim, 32, has enjoyed steady popularity in Korea since her debut in 1996. She has starred in numerous hit TV dramas and movies, including SBS TV series "On Air" last year and hit film "My Tutor Friend" in 2003 with fellow Hallyu star Kwon Sang-woo.

Her most recent comedy action pic "My Girlfriend is an Agent", co-starring actor Kang Ji-hwan, placed her onto stardom throughout several countries in Asia including Vietnam, Singapore and Hong Kong.

She currently stars in MBC's war drama "Road No.1" alongside actors So Ji-sub and Yoon Kye-sang.

2010063008315468599_2.jpg

Hallyu star Kim Ha-neul shakes hands with a fan at her fan meeting held in Tokyo, Japan on June 26, 2010. [J. One Plus Entertainment]

June 30, 2010

"71 - Into The Fire" to open in 14 U.S. cities next month

2010063009383282056_1.jpg

Official movie poster for "71 Into The Fire" [Taewon Entertainment]

Korean war epic "71 Into The Fire" is set to open in fourteen major U.S. cities including New York and Los Angeles on July 30, according to the show's producer Taewon Entertainment on Wednesday.

Taewon announced in a press release that the war pic will be showing at AMC, the biggest theater chain in the U.S., and MPARK4 Cinema theaters in various cities including Philadelphia, San Francisco, Seattle and Washington.

"Fire" will start with a limited theatrical release and gradually increase its number of screens, depending on its U.S. box office performance, Taewon added.

The film -- which stars top Korean actors Kwon Sang-woo, Cha Seung-won, Kim Seung-woo and T.O.P of idol group Big Bang -- has been garnering heated attention from the media recently, particularly when Kwon and director Lee Jae-han took part in a special seminar at the prestigious Stanford University's Asia-Pacific Research Center last month.

Noted film critic Scott Foundas, who writes movie reviews for numerous U.S. publications including The New York Times and has an online column on Indiewire.com, gave the war drama high marks after seeing it at Stanford. He said the film has a universal appeal and even compared Kwon to the late Hollywood rebel James Dean.

The film's commercial success overseas, particularly in the U.S., is likely to increase the odds for a first-ever Academy Award nomination for a Korean motion picture. So far, no Korean film has made the Oscar nominations for Best Foreign Film.

"Into Fire" is based on the true story of 71 student soldiers who fought during the Korean War, which marked its 60th anniversary last Friday.

June 30, 2010

(Movie Review)

Kang Woo-suk's 'Moss' keeps audience guessing with eerie twists

By Kim Hyun

30093932765_60800040.jpg

SEOUL, June 30 (Yonhap) -- An isolated tiny farm village where no bus or train stops is where Hae-guk's (Park Hae-il) religious father had lived for 30 years after leaving his family. At his father's funeral, the son meets the village people for the first time and senses an ominous atmosphere from their overly vigilant nature.

The men, all single from a divorce or a breakup, are eerily united around a frail old man, the cop-turned-godly village head Yong-deok (Jung Jae-young). All their houses lie in the direction of his hilltop house so that he can see what's going on in the village like the back of his hand.

Hae-guk questions his father's choice to give up his whole life to preach to the villagers. Suspicious and distressed, the unwelcome guest decides to settle there to dig deeper into his father's death.

Kang Woo-suk's new thriller "Moss" spews chilling suspense and intrigue that keep the audience guessing throughout the story, owing largely in part to Yoon Tae-ho's prize-winning Internet cartoon of the same title, on which the film is based. In terms of genre, it breaks from the veteran director's trademark action comedies like "Two Cops" (1993), the "Public Enemy" series (2001), machoistic drama "Silmido" (2003) and nationalistic "Korean Peninsula" (2006) and takes on character-driven suspense.

Hae-guk's father Mok-hyeong (Huh Joon-ho), returning from the Vietnam War, abandons all of his worldly connections and isolates himself in a small prayer house where he dreams of building a heaven for wary souls. He soon has many followers who give up their money and wealth to enter heaven, while Yong-deok, a crooked cop who later becomes the village head, conspires with the owner of the prayer house to snatch the offerings.

Falsely incriminated, Mok-hyeong lands in jail, but his ascetic existence still wields supernatural power over inmates. The cop afterwards makes a stealthy proposal: let's build a new village "for those who want to be born again."

The cop scouts an odd bunch of misfits and thugs to the village in exchange for exemption from their criminal liability. Mok-hyeong tries to breathe a "born-again" life into them, but the village evolves in a quite different way. Yong-deok, the cop now acting as the village head, becomes a powerful landlord accumulating wealth through the help of his men, and the ethical demise of the folks compels the preacher to pick up a dagger.

As his son explores the preacher's past, the story reveals the entwined nature of human good and evil through the changing behaviors of the faithful preacher and the vicious cop. The tightly-knit plot holds the audience to guesswork about the cause of Mok-hyeong's death and the village's mystery. The acting is fine -- at one point, the eyes of Yong-deok piercing through darkness sends chills down the spine of the viewers.

Though riveting, it is sometimes questionable whether the story line is enough for audiences who have not read the cartoon to piece things together. Hae-guk's frustrating past as an urban loser and the village men's piteous backgrounds have been dropped in the movie.

Known for action comedies, the director said he worked under extreme pressure to compete with the cartoon's popularity that has drawn more than 36 million hits.

"The cartoon has attracted legions of fans, and some of them attacked me, saying 'why is it you making the film?'" Kang said after a press premier in Seoul on Tuesday.

"It's not true that I deliberately wanted to make something grand or meaningful," he said. "As I got older, I wanted to avoid things that I have already done. I wanted to do something new and human, a film that offers food for thought."

"Moss" produced by Cinema Service and distributed by CJ Entertainment is set for cinema release on July 16.

PARK YONG HA soompi thread

http://www.soompi.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12088

June 30, 2010

'Winter Sonata' actor Park Yong-ha found dead in apparent suicide

30090952.jpg

Park Yong-ha

Park Yong-ha, a Korean actor and singer, was found dead at his home in Seoul early Wednesday morning in what appeared to be a suicide, police said.

Park's body was found at his home in Nonhyun-dong, southern Seoul, at around 5:30 a.m. by his mother, police said, noting that he appeared to have hanged himself. No suicide note has been found.

According to his family, Park said "I'm sorry. I'm sorry," last night after massaging his father, who is terminally ill with stomach cancer.

His family and acquaintances said Park had been severely distressed by his father's disease.

The 33-year-old actor and singer, who debuted in 1997, is widely known across Asia for his role in the 2002 hit drama series "Winter Sonata," and has also released song albums.

Last month, Park was cast as the leading role for a Korean television drama, which is a remake of the popular 1996 Hong Kong film, "Comrades, Almost a Love Story." The shooting was set to begin in July. [Yonhap]

Source: joongangdaily.com

NISI20100630_0003110570_web.jpg

201006301428011001_1.jpg

Actor Park Yong-ha found dead at home

N2010063014425390701.jpg

Actor and singer Park Yong-ha was found dead at his home in southern Seoul early Wednesday morning.

Parks mother allegedly reported to police after finding her son hanged around 5:30 a.m.

Park, 33, who has been highly popular in Japan, reportedly strangled himself with cellphone charger wires at his room.

Police said Park repeated "sorry" to his family while waiting on his father past midnight.

He acted in TV dramas, Winter Sonata(2002) and On Air(2008), which have made him hallyu star, as they were aired in Japan and other Asian countries .

Source: kwh8121@gmail.com koreatimes.co.kr

June 30, 2010

20100630pyh.jpg

SEOUL, June 30 (Yonhap) -- Park Yong-ha, a Korean actor and singer whose co-starring role in "Winter Sonata" catapulted him to Asia-wide fame, was found dead at his home in Seoul on Wednesday in what appeared to be a suicide.

Police said the 33-year-old's body was found at his home in Nonhyun-dong, southern Seoul, by his mother at around 5:30 a.m. He appeared to have hanged himself. No suicide note has been found yet, they said.

According to his family, Park said, "I'm sorry. I'm sorry," last night while giving his father, who is terminally ill with stomach cancer, a massage. He was last seen going to his room after midnight, his mother was quoted by police as saying. His family and acquaintances said Park had been deeply worried about his sick father. He was also taking sleeping pills.

Since his debut in the television drama "Theme Park" in 1997, Park was loved for his schoolboy image until "Winter Sonata" provided a turning point for his acting career in 2002. The popular melodrama series, also starring Bae Yong-joon and Choi Ji-woo, opened doors for Park to lead roles, including one in "Loving You" in 2002.

The following year, he debuted as a singer as well and made it big with his title song on the hit drama series "All In" that was broadcast across Asia. His musical career blossomed more in Japan than his home country with his albums making it into the Oricon charts and winning four consecutive Japan Golden Disc Awards.

Last month, Park was cast as the lead for a Korean television drama, which is a remake of the popular 1996 Hong Kong film, "Comrades, Almost a Love Story." The shooting was set to begin in July. Fans were shocked by the news and have been grieving. "We lost a man with so much talent. It's so sad," an Internet user wrote on Korea's Naver.com. Park's official Japanese site (www.summerface.jp) was temporarily down due to overwhelming traffic.

South Korea ranks first in the suicide rate among the member countries of the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), with 24.3 people out of every 100,000 having taken their own lives in 2008. The figure was much higher than Hungary (21 people) and Japan (19.4 people).

Park was the second Korean celebrity this year to end his life. Three months earlier, actor and singer Choi Jin-young killed himself after long suffering depression from his sister Choi Jin-sil's suicide in 2008.

Celebrity suicides have become a major concern in recent years, often setting off copycat deaths. In 2008, actor Ahn Jae-hwan, reportedly mired in debt, took his own life, and less than a month later Choi Jin-sil committed suicide, distressed by rumors linking her to Ahn's death. Last year, actress Jang Ja-yeon killed herself. She left a note describing how she was forced to have sex with powerful men.

Such celebrity suicides often set off copycat deaths. South Korea ranks first in the suicide rate among the member countries of the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), with 24.3 people out of every 100,000 having taken their own lives in 2008.

Source: ejkim@yna.co.kr hkim@yna.co.kr yonhapnews.co.kr

June 30, 2010

Actor Park Yong Ha Found Dead at Home

People in the entertainment industry have been shocked by the news of Hallyu actor Park Yong Ha (33)s death and they all said, It is hard to believe.

pyh1.jpg

In particular, people are responding that they cannot understand why he committed suicide in a situation where he is planning to film a new drama from the end of next month and he is actively performing as a singer in Japan.

Park Yong Ha's close friend working in the music industry said, I could not feel any psychological anxiety from him when I talked on the phone with him on June 28. We actually had plans to meet yesterday, but we could not see each other, and I heard that he would visit Japan today due to his schedule in Japan. Then, how could this kind of thing happen to him? But, he disclosed that Park Yong Ha used to take sleeping pills as he could not sleep well at night. He said, I do not know whether he had suffered from depression, but I know that he usually depended on sleeping tablets for sleeping at night; he was in distress as he could not sleep well.

Writer Kim Eun Sook, who worked with Park Yong Ha when he appeared in the drama On Air, also said, When we talked on the phone about twenty days ago, he was very happy about beginning filming a new drama. He had a very pleasant voice at that time. Is it true that he died? I really cannot believe it.

Park Yong Ha had actively participated in performances in Japan as a Hallyu actor and singer, and he also appeared in the movie The Scam and the drama A Mans Story in Korea last year. He had also shown enthusiasm about his new drama Love Song, which will begin filming from next month.

One of the production staff members of Love Song said, I do not know how a person with no problems can do such thing. He was actually very busy with performing in Japan and Korea and he came and went between the two countries. Everything had been going very well with his works, so I do not know what happened to him.

People in the entertainment industry mostly said that they do not know whether he suffered from depression or not, but they all agreed that Park had been under pressure due to his fathers struggle against stomach cancer and the establishment of his own entertainment management company.

A person in the entertainment industry expressed his opinion, After Park Yong Ha personally established the management company, he might have suffered from the heavy responsibility involved in running the company. Also, he must have had anxiety about his popularity because even though he is very popular right now, he could lose that popularity some day.

Actress Song Yoon Ah, who acted with Park in drama On Air, said, I had a bad dream today, and I finally came to hear this bad news about him. I had received his phone calls from Japan... She was choked up and could not continue to speak.

Source: KBS Global

June 30, 2010

Park Yong-ha found dead

Just two years ago, Korean actor-and-singer Park Yong-ha harbored plans for greatness, plans that went beyond the Korean Wave.

The 32-year-old was found dead early Wednesday morning. Park's mother found his body on Wednesday at 5:30 a.m. at his residence in Nonhyeon-dong, Seoul. The police reported that Park died with an electrical cord tied around his neck. No suicide note was found.

The police viewed Parks death as a suicide based on the depositions of the deceaseds family.

"While my son massaged the legs and back of his father, who suffered from the late stages of stomach cancer, he said I am sorry. I am sorry, to his family before going into his room past midnight," Park's mother was quoted as saying in a deposition.

20100630001136_0.jpg

News reports said that Park, who had devoted himself to nursing his ailing father, had been taking sleeping pills because he had been experiencing trouble sleeping.

In the public eye, the singer-and-actors future appeared bright.

He had just nabbed a lead role opposite Coffee Prince actress Yoon Eun-hye in a dramatic remake of the Hong Kong film Comrades: Almost a Love Story (1996) and had started a Japan concert tour before he died. "I like it now, but I dont want to be remembered or seen, after the Hallyu trend has died out, as Hallyu star Park Yong-ha," he told The Korea Herald in 2008.

"I want to be someone who can cover a lot of territory. Just my name. Is that too hard?"

Park, who made his debut in 1997, was propelled to Hallyu stardom following his stint in the highly successful KBS drama Winter Sonata (2002).

On the wings of his Korean Wave success, Park forged a career for himself in Japan, where over the course of five years he churned out 10 hit albums and singles and won four consecutive Japan Gold Disc Awards -- a first for a Korean pop artist. In 2008, Park revealed that the years spent in Japan, particularly when he appeared on talk shows, were some of the most painful during his career as a Hallyu star.

Yes, you could say that this is a painful memory for me, Park said. In a situation where I didn't know the culture and the language well -- while they do translate -- when a talk show gets underway, its hard for everything to be fully translated.

Park pinpointed moments when people on the show would laugh after he said something: They would laugh together, among themselves. I really hated that moment, that moment of laughter. I had no idea what they were saying, but since they were laughing I had to join in.

Park related how when he started to laugh, it left a sour taste in his mouth and made him sweat and think: What did they just say? "While I worked in Japan, these sorts of things, kind of, made me sad," he said.

After cementing his career as a singer in Japan, Park returned to Korean television in 2008 in the hit SBS drama On Air. Following his successful comeback, Park went on to star in the male-driven flick The Scam (2009) and the testosterone-heavy KBS drama The Slingshot (2009).

It feels good to be a Hallyu star, he said in 2008. If you look down the line, there will be this time when Hallyu stars were big, and it's good that I got to be a part of that time.

Park's death follows on the heels of actor Choi Jin-youngs suicide in March, nearly two years after his sister, actress, Choi Jin-sil, committed suicide in 2008. His passing serves as a reminder of the recent string of celebrity suicides, from the deaths of actresses Lee Eun-ju in 2005 and Jeong Da-bin in 2007 to that of actor Ahn Jae-hwan in 2008 and Boys Over Flowers actress Jang Ja-yeon in 2009.

Park's body lies at Seoul St. Marys Hospital Funeral Hall. The funeral will take place on Wednesday.

By Jean Oh (oh_jean@heraldm.com) koreaherald.com

Archived