[News] Drama, Movies, Actors & Actresses

Guest CindyW88

June 18, 2010

Lack of character development puts ‘Fire’ out

17220415.jpg

Choi Seung-hyeon, left, plays a student leader in the new film

“71: Into the Fire”. Provided by Taewon Entertainment

“Mom, I killed a man.”

This is the opening line of a letter found on the body of a student soldier fighting in the Korean War (1950-53). It later becomes the main motif of the war film “71: Into the Fire,” which opened Wednesday.

The film is based on the true story of 71 South Korean student soldiers who defended Pohang, a port city in North Gyeongsang, during the Korean War in 1950. As the South Korean Army converged on the Nakdong River to guard against the advancing North Korean Army, the student soldiers who remain in Pohang become the only defense against them.

The film opens with a battlefield scene. Bullets fly and the crack of gun shots and blasts is relentless. From the collapsing buildings and bomb explosions to the fluttering particles of dust and realistic makeup, everything is recreated in realistic detail, showing where the 11.3 billion won ($10 million) might have gone.

The fact that the film was made last winter was quite surprising, because there are no traces of the season. This is all the more incredible considering the movie’s beautiful images of the surrounding environment, shown in long shots of lush verdant fields, forests and mountains.

As the film progresses, the pace is fast, even abrupt, and director Lee Jae-han focuses heavily on the images rather than on the story of the student soldiers, who were drafted into the war as teenagers.

After the first battle scene ends and the unit has to leave the base in Pohang in order to make a sally to the Nakdong River, South Korean commander Kang Seok-dae (Kim Seung-woo) asks, “Which unit will defend Pohang?” and a line of trucks carrying middle and high school students rolls toward the unit as if in answer.

However, there is no background on the students nor information on how they came to be drafted. The only thing we see are flashbacks from the memories of student leader Oh Jang-beom (Choi Seung-hyeon, a?k?a T.O.P. from Big Bang?), during which we see him with his mother and revisit time he left home to go to war. That’s not really enough to help us understand Oh, let alone the other students.

This lack of character development doesn’t arouse our sympathy for the soldiers and creates confusion as to just what their motivations are. This is especially frustrating with North Korean officer Park Moo-rang (Cha Seung-won) - a villain that isn’t really all that villainous.

At one point, he takes one of the students captive and then goes to the student encampment to ask if they are ready to surrender. Had the writers shown us more of Park’s character leading up to that point, we might have understood why he would do such a thing, but the way the character is written now just raises more questions.

Audiences may have expected that Lee, who has primarily directed melodramas in the past, including “A Moment to Remember” (2004), would produce a film with a tight story line and beautiful imagery.

But Lee seems to have chosen the imagery over the story, perhaps because the film’s running time of 120 minutes is too short to allow for both elements. And that was frustrating.

By Suh Yun-young Contributing writer [estyle@joongang.co.kr]joongangdaily.com

• Replies 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

June 18, 2010

Actor faces a new test: Faith

‘Although I was afraid of taking this role, I could relate to my character’s desperation.’

17220449.jpg

Kim Myung-min

Actor Kim Myung-min is known for throwing himself wholeheartedly into a role. For his continuing attempts to give something of himself whenever he does a new project, the public has given him the nickname Myung Bonjwa in Korean, a moniker that might make a modest actor such as himself blush for all the adulation it contains.

The “Myung” comes from his name, and “bonjwa,” means “guru.”

When he took the role of a ruthless taxi driver in the horror flick “Sorum” (2001), he actually worked for a taxi company in Seoul for three months. He was a lesser-known actor at that time, and nobody thought he would go to such lengths to research the role. But his hard work paid off and Kim succeeded in gaining recognition for himself for the first time in his five-year acting career.

When he played the role of a man with Lou Gehrig’s disease in the film “Closer to Heaven” (2009), he stunned the public after shedding nearly 20 kilograms (44 pounds) in just three months to prepare for the role.

This summer, Kim returns to the big screen with his new film “Man of Vendetta,” which is set to be released next month. For this film, his sixth, Kim doesn’t have to alter his physique. The transformation is psychological.

Kim plays Ju Young-su, a minister with a happy family with a beautiful wife and daughter. When his daughter is kidnapped, his life is turned upside down and he begins to question his faith.

What intrigued Kim was the emotional transformation his character goes through. “In this character, three different people coexist. Ju is a minister who tells his followers to love their enemies, but he denies the existence of God after he loses his daughter. He swears, spits and fights,” Kim said at a recent press conference in central Seoul. “After he realizes his daughter is still alive eight years after she was kidnapped, he becomes a devoted father who is ready to do anything he can to get his daughter back. “Although I was afraid of taking this role [because of its complexity], I could relate to my character’s desperation.”

When asked whether he was hesitant to play someone who denies the existence of God because he himself is a faithful Christian, he said, “No. Since I’ve been going to church even before I was born, I was confident about playing a minister. And we have two ministers in my family, so my father was very proud of me when I told him that I was playing one in my new film. He said that portraying a minister is a blessing from God. “But he doesn’t know that my character becomes a man who doesn’t believe in God,” Kim said with laugh.

At one point in the film, Kim’s character doesn’t sleep for three days, so Kim did the same. “I didn’t want to shoot the scene after I had slept for eight hours,” he said. Because he becomes so involved with the characters he plays, Kim says he often finds it is difficult to get his life back to normal after he finishes shooting a film or drama.

Kim once told a local newspaper that he suffered from depression after he finished shooting the hit TV drama “White Tower” (2007), in which his character dies of cancer. The drama was based on a Japanese drama of the same name. “I could understand why the Japanese actor who played the same role I did killed himself after the drama,” Kim recalled. “After we finished shooting, I felt drained by the tragic ending, too.

“But this time is very different because it’s happy ending. I felt good, as if I had a huge weight lifted off of my back.”

By Sung So-young [so@joongang.co.kr] joongangdaily.com

June 18, 2010

Kong Hyo-jin makes top ten Asian actors list in China

Reporter : Lynn Kim Editor : Jessica Kim

2010061809582655819_1.jpg

Korean actress Kong Hyo-jin [N.O.A. Entertainment]

Korean actress Kong Hyo-jin has been selected one of the top ten actors of Asia by China Entertainment TV (CETV), according to her agency N.O.A. Entertainment on Friday.

N.O.A. announced through a press release that the actress will be leaving for China today to attend the award ceremony, to be held Saturday evening at Shenzhen Convention & Exhibition Center in Shenzhen, China.

Celebrating its sixth anniversary, the Chinese broadcaster had asked viewers to cast votes for top ten actors in Asia. Fans' voting had taken place every year with stars from China, Hong Kong, Taiwan and Japan being awarded the title.

This year, Korean actresses Kong and Kim Nam-joo made the list with the success of their hit TV series "Pasta" and "Queen of Housewives," respectively.

Kong making the top ten is considered particularly significant since "Pasta" is scheduled to air in China later this year with major Chinese media outlets planning a grand promotion for the culinary drama.

"Pasta" is a story about the romance between two chefs, played by Kong and actor Lee Sun-gyun, who work together in an Italian restaurant. The series received positive reviews from critics and viewers alike and scored solid ratings during its run in Korea earlier this year.

The 30-year-old actress debut in the 1999 horror pic "Memento Mori" and has since appeared in numerous television dramas and films.

Some of her most notable works include dramas "Ruler of Your Own World" (MBC, 2002), "Sang Doo! Let's Go To School" (KBS, 2003) and film "Conduct Zero," co-starring her real-life actor boyfriend Ryoo Sung-bum.

Reporter : Lynn Kim lynn2878@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

June 18, 2010

Choi Si-won to join the cast of "IRIS" spin-off

Reporter : Lucia Hong Editor : Jessica Kim

2010061810445105421_1.jpg

Singer and actor Choi Si-won [sM Entertainment]

Super Junior member Choi Si-won will be joining the A-list cast of upcoming action TV series "Athena," the spin-off to last year's hit blockbuster drama "IRIS," according to the show's producer Taewon Entertainment on Friday.

Taewon announced in a press release that Si-won will be gracing the small screen as Kim Joon-ho, a new recruit at intelligence agency NTS, who dreams of becoming a spy, in the show starring Korean stars Jung Woo-sung, Cha Seung-won, Soo-ae and E Ji-ah.

Choi is currently receiving training for the action sequences although he is also promoting "BONAMANA," his boy band's fourth studio release.

Taewon plans on airing "Athena,” about terrorist acts and threats against the Korean Peninsula and the world, during the latter half of this year.

It will go into production starting in June in Italy and Switzerland and continue on into six other countries including Singapore and New Zealand.

Choi made his music debut in the 13-member boy band Super Junior, known as one of the most popular K-pop acts in the country and throughout Asia.

He made his acting debut in 2005 in the KBS TV series "Eighteen, Twenty-Nine" and action picture "A Battle of Wits." The pop idol recently played the role of Sung Min-woo in the SBS hit drama "Oh! My Lady" alongside Hallyu star Chae-lim.

Reporter : Lucia Hong luciahong@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

June 17, 2010

Lee Hyori: Sexy Pop Diva to TV Comedy Host

e100617_01.jpg

After making a successful comeback with her hit song "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang", Lee Hyori is set to make another comeback... on the small screen. This time, rather than just starring on a entertainment variety show, she'll be hosting it. She'll be making another transformation from the sexy diva on stage to a funny, outgoing variety show personality.

She received a totally new image after starring on the reality variety program "Family Outing", which she has since left. She'd appear with her face still swollen from waking up, wear no make up, and show off her more tomboyish side. It wasn't in vain as she won an entertainment award for the series with one of her co-stars, Yoo Jae-suk, last year.

Her upcoming project is still in the early planning stages as she's currently in the midst of meeting with a few companies. She will be playing the host role on a variety show starting in the latter half of this year, but it has yet to be decided what kind of show it will be.

The pop diva is currently taking time off after ending her promotions for her first single off of her fourth album. Though there were talks of her continuing with a second single, that doesn't appear to be happening. This is due to Lee's contract with her current company, Mnet Media, approaching it's termination date.

Source: KBS Global

June 18, 2010

Lee Jung-jin joins Rain, Lee Na-young for "Fugitive"

Reporter : Ko Jae-wan Editor : Lynn Kim

2010061811062384804_1.jpg

Korean actor Lee Jung-jin [Jambo Entertainment]

Korean actor Lee Jung-jin has joined Rain and Lee Na-young as the main cast of upcoming KBS TV series "The Fugitive," according to his agency Jambo Entertainment on Friday.

Jambo announced that the actor will be playing the role of Do-soo, an ambitious investigator who chases after Rain and Lee's character regarding a mysterious incident. "Undoubtedly I am lucky to be getting to take part in the drama 'The Fugitive,'" the actor was quoted as saying. "I will make a very strong impression on the viewers who have high expectations."

Filming for "Fugitive," about a hefty sum of money popping up sixty years after it disappeared in times of the Korean War, will take place in various Asian cities including Tokyo, Osaka, Yokohama, Shanghai, Beijing, Macau and Hong Kong. The series will be directed by noted television producer Kwak Jung-hwan and written by Chun Sung-il, who collaborated on the recent hit TV series "The Slave Hunters" earlier this year.

Lee, 32, made his debut in 1998 through popular sitcom "Soonpoong Clinic" (SBS, 1998) and has since starred in many television dramas and films including "9 End 2 Outs" (MBC, 2007), "Love Story in Harvard (SBS, 2004)" and "Mapado" (2005). He is currently a regular cast member in the popular variety show segment "Qualification of a Man" on KBS2 TV's "Happy Sunday."

Reporter : Ko Jae-wan star@ Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

June 21, 2010

Lee Jung Jin Cast In ‘Runaway’

Actor Lee Jung Jin, who is now appearing on the KBS entertainment program “Qualifications of Men” as a cast member, has been cast in the KBS drama “Runaway,” in which singer and actor Rain (real name Jung Ji Hoon) has already been cast.

According to a statement released on June 18 by his agency, Lee Jung Jin will play the section chief of a foreign affair investigation in the police station named Do Soo. “Runaway” is about people who are chasing an astronomical amount of money and it has become an issue as writer Chun Sung Il and producing director Kwak Jung Hwan, who worked together in the KBS drama “The Slave Hunters,” have formed a production team again.

Actress Lee Na Young will make a comeback to the small screen after six years as she has also been cast in the drama as the main actress to play Jin Yi.

Lee Jung Jin reportedly said, “I am glad that I can work in filming a good drama. I have great expectations, just as viewers do, so I will do my best to make a strong impression on viewers.”

Source: KBS Global

June 18, 2010

Lee Jun-ki "having a hard time" in military, says Jae-hee

Reporter : Park Kun-ouc Editor : Lynn Kim

2010061815113107334_2.jpg

Actor Jae-hee salutes reporters and fans after being discharged

from Korea's Defense Media Agency in Seoul, South Korea

on June 18, 2010. [Han Youn-jong/Asia Economic Daily]

Hallyu star Lee Jun-ki is reportedly having a hard time adjusting to life in the army, according to fellow actor Jae-hee who was discharged from the military today.

Speaking to a group of reporters after being discharged from Korea's Defense Media Agency on Friday morning, Jae-hee said that he met Lee "just once."

"He seems to be having a very hard time right now," said the actor. "He just entered the military and time will take care of it. He may feel awkward about the short hair and much-tanned skin but the day will come when he gets discharged."

Over a hundred fans from Korea, China and Japan showed up to see Jae-hee return to the outside world after spending two years in the military as part of fulfilling Korea's mandatory army duties.

Jae-hee, whose real name is Lee Hyun-kyoon, initially gained fame after starring in the campus drama "School" (KBS2, 2000). He is best-known for his role as Lee Mong-ryong in the hit TV series "Delightful Girl Choon-hyang" (KBS2, 2005), which co-starred top Korean actress Han Chae-young and became a huge hit throughout Asia.

Lee Jun-ki, who shot to fame after starring in the 2005 hit film "The King and the Clown," entered the military on May 3 after he was notified by the government to report to the military. At the time, he tried to defer his entrance date in order to finish up the shootings for film "Grand Prix" and upcoming blockbuster TV series "Faith," but eventually pulled out from both projects when he was unable to do so.

Last week, it was reported that Lee had completed the five-week basic training course with flying colors, being chosen as one of the four officers out of some 900 soldiers to receive an award from the head of the military training camp. He has been assigned to Korea's Defense Media Agency where he will carry out various promotional activities such as hosting military television shows and radio programs and visiting Korean soldiers serving at the front and rear lines of the military zone.

Reporter : Park Kun-ouc kun1112@ Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

2010061820020272962_1.jpg

Actor Jae-hee smiles after being discharged from Korea's Defense Media Agency in Seoul, South Korea on June 18, 2010.

2010061820020272962_2.jpg

Actor Jae-hee salutes reporters and fans after being discharged from Korea's Defense Media Agency in Seoul, South Korea on June 18, 2010.

2010061820001169730_1.jpg

Actor Jae-hee walks out of the Defense Media Agency in Seoul, South Korea upon being discharged from the unit on June 18, 2010.

2010061819455543709_1.jpg

Actor Jae-hee salutes his fans after being discharged from Korea's Defense Media Agency in Seoul, South Korea on June 18, 2010.

2010061819455543709_2.jpg

Actor Jae-hee receives a gift from a fan after being discharged from Korea's Defense Media Agency in Seoul, South Korea on June 18, 2010.

Photographer: Han Youn-jong hyj0709@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia 1 l 2 l 3

June 18, 2010

Park Shin-hye No. 1 female star on Chinese website

Reporter : Lucia Hong Editor : Jessica Kim

2010061817005618590_1.jpg

Korean actress Park Shin-hye [Ava Entertainment]

Korean actress Park Shin-hye has been chosen the No. 1 female Asian star on a Chinese entertainment website, according to her agency Ava Entertainment on Friday.

Ava announced in a press release that on a poll conducted on the website for "EASY," Park claimed the title as most popular female Asian star for seven months starting December of last year up against other international artists such as Ueno Juri and Haruka Ayase.

Meanwhile, SS501's leader Kim Hyun-joong was named the most popular male Asian star.

"EASY" magazine focuses on Asian entertainers in China, Taiwan, Korea and Japan and the survey that was conducted on their official online website (www.youeasy.net) is well-known throughout the Asia region.

Park made her debut in 1994 and has starred in numerous dramas and movies including "Stairway to Heaven," "Goong S," and "Minamishineyo." She is also a familiar face in television commercials and music videos. She is currently filming the romantic comedy "Cyrano Agency," where Park plays the role of a matchmaker, due out in September.

She will be in Japan on June 26 with actor Jang Keun-suk for a fan meeting for the hit series "Minamishineyo" held by Japanese management agency AVEX.

Reporter : Lucia Hong luciahong@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

June 20, 2010

Park Bo-young likely to face defamation charges

100620_pm_boyoung.jpg

South Korean popular actress Park Bo-young, 20, who is in a legal dispute with the management agency she belongs to, is likely to face defamation charges by the agency.

Humane Entertainment said Saturday the prosecution cleared it of charges she lodged against it such as forgery of private documents in a contract, adding that it is considering filing a defamation suit.

Last April, Park charged the agency chief with fraud, claiming that the agency forged her existing contract and her warrant, using her seal without her permission.

In a press release, the agency claimed that "the management agency head rewrote articles of the contract based on an order from the fair trade regulators but there was no revision of substantial contents, such as contract period," which the prosecution accepted.

Furthermore, the press release said that the agency chief did not use Park's seal for other purposes, except for sending it to the Fair Trade Commission and Park herself.

The agency stated, "It is difficult for us to accept Park's statement that [our] trust has been crushed during the creation of the contract because, besides Park, there have been no complaints about edited contracts from other members of the company."

Source: koreatimes.co.kr

June 21, 2010

Kim Nam-joo wins grand prize at award ceremony in China

2010062109092690371_1.jpg

Korean actress Kim Nam-joo poses with her grand prize trophy

from China Entertainment Television(CETV)'s "Top 10 Asian Actors"

award ceremony held at Shenzhen Convention & Exhibition Center

in Shenzhen, China on June 19, 2010. [Wellmade Star M]

Korean actress Kim Nam-joo, who was voted one of the top ten Asian actors by Chinese viewers last week, has won the grand prize at an award ceremony held by Chinese Entertainment Television (CETV) over the weekend, according to her agency Wellmade Star M.

Wellmade Star M announced in a press release that the "Queen of Housewives" actress stole the show as she took the top prize of the event, which took place at Shenzhen Convention & Exhibition Center on June 19.

According to CETV, Kim had been up against Taiwanese entertainer Joseph Cheng, who is called the "Rain of Taiwan," till the last minute but defeated him for the title, thanks to the success of "Housewives" in the Greater China region.

"As the lead actor of 'Housewives,' I am very glad and honored that the show is getting great response beyond Korea and throughout Asia as well," the actress was quoted as saying. "I will try to pay back my fans with better acting in the future."

Celebrating its sixth anniversary, the Chinese broadcaster had asked viewers to cast votes for top ten actors in Asia. Fan voting takes place every year with stars from China, Hong Kong, Taiwan and Japan being awarded the title.

This year, three Korean actors made the top ten list -- Kim Nam-joo for "Housewives" and Kong Hyo-jin and Lee Sun-gyun for hit culinary drama "Pasta." After the award ceremony, Kim spoke at a press conference with over a hundred local media outlets in attendance.

"I would like to thank CETV, I am incredibly grateful to receive such a huge award," the actress told reporters. "I will keep working harder in the future and come back as a new 'Queen of Housewives.'" When one reporter asked for details regarding her comeback in the second season of "Housewives," she joked, "It is a top national secret."

"Housewives", about a 30-something woman who struggles to help her husband succeed, became one of the most-watched shows during its run early last year, topping Korea's TV ratings charts for three consecutive weeks.

Kim, 39, made a successful comeback by taking on "Housewives," her first acting job since marrying actor Kim Seung-woo in 2005 and giving birth to a daughter.

Her comedic portrayal of a modern Korean housewife won her numerous accolades including being named 'Actor of the Year' by Korea's Minister of Culture, Sports and Tourism last December.

She is currently shooting several television commercials and recently agreed to star in the second season of "Housewives," tentatively titled "Queen of Tears."

"Tears" is scheduled to air in September after historical drama "Dong Yi - Jewel in the Crown" ends its run.

Reporter : Lynn Kim lynn2878@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

Kim Nam-joo Wins Top Acting Award in China

Actress Kim Nam-joo has been named one of Asia's top 10 actors by China Entertainment TV. She attended an awards ceremony in Shenzhen, China last Saturday, marking the broadcaster's sixth anniversary, where she received the Grand Award, a top honor given to one of the 10 finalists.

Taiwanese actor Joe Cheng was Kim's biggest rival for the top prize, but she was able to secure the award thanks to the huge popularity of her latest drama, "My Wife is a Superwoman."

"I'm very delighted and honored to get such a warm response from all over Asia for my work in 'My Wife is a Superwoman,'" Kim said through her agency. "I'll try my best to honor the support of my fans by working even harder in the future."

Source: englishnews@chosun.com

June 21, 2010

Lee Byung-hun lawsuit withdrawn

Reporter : Lim Hye-seon Editor : Jessica Kim

20100524072504019850738_00000006_1_PA.jpg

Actor Lee Byung-hun [Asia Economic Daily]

Top Korean actor Lee Byung-hun's legal woes surrounding a former girlfriend have been settled, his agency said on Monday.

According to BH Entertainment, the Seoul Central Prosecutors' Office concluded that a civil suit, filed against Lee last December by a Canadian-American woman identified only by her last name Kwon, has been withdrawn.

The court made its decision based on its judgement that Kwon no longer intends to take legal action -- Kwon has not returned to Korea since leaving for Canada after suing the actor on December 8.

Her absence from the country has led to her missing two dates for pleading, on April 22 and May 20, and she has not requested for a new date of pleading thereafter. The court considers a case withdrawn if a request is not made within a month of a no-show.

Hence Lee has been freed from the six-month long legal turmoil -- according to law, all records relating to a case are scrapped when a civil suit is withdrawn.

A legal dispute between the two had fired up when Kwon lodged a complaint saying she was allured into having a sexual relationship with the actor on his false promises of marriage, asking to be paid 100 million won in physical and psychological damages.

Lee took counter legal action, suing the woman for libel and asking the police to investigate multiple threats that he had received regarding his relationship with Kwon.

Kwon had also reported to authorities that the actor had taken part in illegal baccarat gambling overseas but the court cleared the actor of the charges, saying there is no evidence Lee had been involved in habitual gambling overseas.

The court also indicted former baseball player turned TV personality Kang Byung-kyu for his alleged involvement in an assault case on the set of "IRIS" -- then starring Lee -- which he visited in mid-December over talk that Chung Tae-won, chief of Taewon Entertainment and producer of the hit show, had spread false rumor that he was behind the feud between Lee and Kwon.

Kang has been standing trial ever since while also countersuing Lee who had charged him with defamation. This case too has been in a deadlock however, due to Kwon's absence from the country.

Lee, 39, has long been considered one of the most successful actors in Korea, appearing in numerous Korean dramas and films, including TV series "All In" and director Park Chan-wook's 2000 film "Joint Security Area".

He also debuted in Hollywood last year with a supporting role in "G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra" alongside Channing Tatum and Sienna Miller and starred in action thriller "I Come with the Rain" with Josh Hartnett and Takuya Kimura which also showed in theaters in 2009.

Reporter : Lim Hye-seon lhsro@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

June 21, 2010

[PHOTO] Lee Min-ho celebrates b-day at fan meeting

Photographer: Han Youn-jong Editor : Jessica Kim

20100621072139055802027_00000018_1_PA.jpg

Actor Lee Min-ho blows a birthday cake during his fan meeting "2010 The Special Day with Minoz" held at Kyung Hee University's Grand Peace Palace in Seoul, South Korea on June 20, 2010. His actors friends Jung Il-woo (left) and Kim Bum (right) also attended the event.

20100621072139055802027_00000024_1_PA.jpg

Actor Lee Min-ho receives a birthday present from actor Jung Won-chang at his fan meeting "2010 The Special Day with Minoz" held at Kyung Hee University's Grand Peace Palace in Seoul, South Korea on June 20, 2010.

20100621072139055802027_00000011_1_PA.jpg

Actor Lee Min-ho sings at his fan meeting "2010 The Special Day with Minoz" held at Kyung Hee University's Grand Peace Palace in Seoul, South Korea on June 20, 2010.

20100621072139055802027_00000002_1_PA.jpg

Actor Lee Min-ho speaks at his fan meeting "2010 The Special Day with Minoz" held at Kyung Hee University's Grand Peace Palace

Photographer: Han Youn-jong hyj0709@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia 1 l 2 l 3 l 4

June 21, 2010

Won Bin, Korea’s New Action Hero

201006110938772494_1.jpg

201006110938772494_2.jpg

After more than a decade of familiar action heroes like LEE Byung-hun, JUNG Woo-sung, JANG Dong-kun and even SONG Kang-ho, heart throb Won Bin is about to get his turn. The Man from Nowhere is Won Bin’s first film since Mother (2009) which screened to critical acclaim at last year’s Cannes. Won Bin plays alongside child actor KIM Sae-ron who starred in French/Korean film A Brand New Life directed by Ounie Lecomte and produced by Poetry (2010) director LEE Chang-dong.

The movie follows CHA Tae-sik (Won Bin) a down and out ex special agent, who has hidden himself away from life. His only real relationship to the world is through a little girl, So-mi (KIM Sae-ron) who lives next door. The action begins when So-mi’s mother who smuggles drugs embroils Tae-sik in the ensuing drama. After So-mi and her mother are kidnapped, Tae-sik must make the decision to leave his self imposed exile or become a hero.

Won Bin was first seen in the TV drama Propose and came to national attention with Autumn Fairy Tale (2000). He made his movie debut in 2001 with Guns & Talks (2001) and became a national star in Taeguki (2004) which became one of Korea’s top box office hits of all time. He made his return to the screen after serving his mandatory military duty with Mother (2009).

The Man from Nowhere is produced by CJ Entertainment and has a tentative release date of August.

Source: David Oxenbridge <KOFIC>

June 21, 2010

Daniel Henney hops aboard "Domangja" cast

2010062115010601028_1.jpg

Korean-American actor Daniel Henney [Apple Of The Eye]

Korean-American actor Daniel is the latest actor to be cast alongside Rain and Lee Na-young for upcoming TV series "Domangja s1," according to his agency Apple Of The Eye on Monday.

Apple Of The Eye announced in a press release that the actor will play the role of a shipping tycoon, who falls in love with Lee's character Jin-yi and tries to help her with his wealth and power. "We are happy that Henney will be appearing in a high-quality drama that will be a collaboration between the best director and writer," an official at Apple was quoted as saying. "Daniel Henney is focusing on studying his character and is highly looking forward to meeting viewers on the small screen for the first time in a long while."

The series will be directed by noted television producer Kwak Jung-hwan and written by Chun Sung-il, the duo behind the recent hit TV series "The Slave Hunters" earlier this year. Chun has revealed that he "had Henney in mind" since first creating the character, whom he described as having "a cold-blooded charisma underneath a warm smile."

So far, the A-list line-up for the romantic comedy-intelligence action drama includes multi-talented entertainer Rain, actress Lee Na-young and actor Lee Jung-jin.

Filming for "Domangja s1," about a hefty sum of money popping up sixty years after it disappeared in times of the Korean War, will take place in various Asian cities including Tokyo, Osaka, Yokohama, Shanghai, Beijing, Macau and Hong Kong.

Born in Michigan to a Korean-American mother and an American father of British descent, Henney made his debut in the Korean entertainment business as a model and gained fame appearing in television commercials alongside top Korean actresses Jun Ji-hyun and Kim Tae-hee.

With his good looks and mild personality, he became a phenomenon around the country after appearing in the smash hit drama "My Name Is Kim Sam Soon" in 2005. He had no Korean-speaking lines in the show.

Last year, he had a supporting role alongside top Hollywood actor Hugh Jackman in the action film "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" and scored his first gig on a U.S. television drama "Three Rivers" (CBS). Medical transplant drama "Rivers" was cancelled after the first eight episodes.

"Domangja s1" will premiere in Korea around late September.

Daniel Henney returns to small screen

By Kim Ji-soo

Staff reporter

Daniel(1).jpg

Daniel Henney

Actor Daniel Henney will return to the small screen for the first time in four years, to appear in a spy-action thriller starring K-pop star Rain.

Henney will play a shipping tycoon who falls in love with Jinny, to be played by top actress Lee Na-young. Lee is the female lead in the drama “Domangja s1. Plan B” (working title). She gets tangled up with the fugitive Jiwoo, to be played by Rain.

The drama is also a longawaited return to the small screen for both Rain and Lee. Producer Kwak Jeong-hwan and writer Cheon Seong-il are behind the new series, which will be filmed in various cities, including Seoul, Busan, Tokyo, Shanghai and Hong Kong and the plot centers around chasing a fugitive.

“Domangja” means fugitive in Korean. The drama is expected to start airing on KBS in September.

Since first debuting on the Korean small screen in the wildly popular drama “My Lovely Samsoon,” Henney has branched out to Hollywood. He has starred in “X-Men Origins: Wolverines” and the American CBS drama “Three Rivers.”

Source: janee@koreatimes.co.kr

June 21, 2010

Kim Ha-neul says "Road No. 1" once-in-a-decade drama

Reporter : Jessica Kim Photographer : Chae ki-won

2010062114030959914_2.jpg

Kim Ha-neul poses during a photo session of a press conference

for MBC TV series "Road No. 1" held at Sangmyung University in Seoul,

South Korea on June 18, 2010. [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

The prospect of having to wear shabby clothes and a grubby face in upcoming war drama "Road No. 1" did little to daunt actress Kim Ha-neul who thinks its script is one that comes along "once-in-a-decade."

The 32-year-old actress made the remark during a press conference held at Sangmyung University in Seoul on Friday as she responded to reporters' questions about how she decided to take on a role in the 20-part TV series set in times of the Korean War. "I had strong belief in the director and upon reading all 20 episodes of the show, I could see how solid it was, to the extent that I wondered whether I would get to see such a script in the next 10 years," Kim said.

"I knew I would be wearing less make-up but I was also attracted to the character because of what a strong and confident woman she is...... I figured I could look much more beautiful if I did a good job of portraying her character," Kim explained. In the series, Kim plays Soo-yeon, an aspiring doctor studying to enter medical school. She starts treating wounded soldiers with the breakout of the war.

Kim is joined by Hallyu star So Ji-sub for the role of Jang-woo, her life-long lover who is believed to be dead after fighting with a punitive force to make money to support Soo-yeon's dream, returns alive.

Former boy band G.O.D member-turned-actor Yoon Kye-sang plays Tae-ho, an elite general who steps into Soo-yeon's life as she recovers from the pain of losing her past lover.

The series has been garnering much hype ahead of its airing on June 23 due to its star-studded cast and blockbuster scale -- it was produced on a 13 billion won budget over six months after three years of planning.

It was also sold to major Japanese media group Hakuhodo Media Partners, according to its producer Logos Films in mid-April, although they had finished shooting only 60 percent of filming was complete.

Directors Lee Jang-soo, of drama "Stairway to Heaven" fame, teamed with Kim Jin-min to film "Road No. 1."

Logos is set on selling the show to other regions throughout the world which took part in the war such as the Americas and Europe.

2010062118040914312_1.jpg

From left, actor So Ji-sub and Kim Ha-neul pose during a photo session of a press conference for MBC TV series "Road No. 1" held at Sangmyung University in Seoul, South Korea on June 18, 2010.

2010062118040914312_2.jpg

From left, actors Yoon Kye-sang and So Ji-sub pose during a press conference for MBC TV series "Road No. 1" held at Sangmyung University in Seoul, South Korea on June 18, 2010.

2010062117584781925_2.jpg

Actor So Ji-sub poses during a photo session of a press conference for MBC TV series "Road No. 1" held at Sangmyung University in Seoul, South Korea on June 18, 2010.

2010062117584781925_3.jpg

Actress Kim Ha-neul attends a press conference for MBC TV series "Road No. 1" held at Sangmyung University in Seoul, South Korea on June 18, 2010.

2010062117543068771_1.jpg

From left, actor So Ji-sub and Kim Ha-neul attend a press conference for MBC TV series "Road No. 1" held at Sangmyung University in Seoul, South Korea on June 18, 2010.

2010062117543068771_2.jpg

From left, directors Lee Jang-soo and Kim Jin-min attend a press conference for MBC TV series "Road No. 1" held at Sangmyung University in Seoul, South Korea on June 18, 2010.

Photographer : Chae ki-won ten@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia 1 l 2 l 3 l 4

June 21, 2010

'Road No. 1' to feature war, love, comradeship

By Han Sang-hee

Staff Reporter

N2010061819223750001.jpg

MBC will start airing the highly anticipated drama "Road No.1" this month and hopefully renew hope, love and sacrifice in the hearts of the viewers while commemorating the treacherous and devastating times.

The Korean War (1950-53) may have lasted three years, but it has left lasting scars on many during the 60 years since. Among them would be young and passionate lovers, who had to go through a separation they didn't see coming.

"Road No. 1" hopes to highlight the sad story of such lovers, played by heartthrob So Ji-sub actress Kim Ha-neul and singer-turned-actor Yoon Kye-sang. Lee Jang-woo (played by So) and Kim Soo-yeon (played by Kim) are in love, but the Korean War tears them apart. Lee is forced to leave Kim to contribute to the war effort, and years later a note arrives for Kim telling her that the love of her life has died in battle. Struggling to move on, Kim meets officer Shin Tae-ho (played by Yoon) and decides to marry him and leave the past behind her. This takes a turn when Shin discovers that Lee is not only alive, but is in fact counting the days until he can return home and reunite with Kim, his lover.

The drama may be set in devastating times, but the bombs, guns and battlefields are not the only features of war that the makers had in mind.

The head producer Lee Jang-su, who became famous for his work "Stairway to Heaven" (SBS, 2003), joined fellow producer Lee Jin-min, known for his stylish scenes in the drama "Time Between Dog and Wolf" (2007), to add more drama and emotion to the sequences, while writer Han Ji-hoon from the film "Taegukgi: The Brotherhood of War" (2003) managed to include movie-like battle scenes. "We had two goals when we were planning the drama," director Lee Jang-su said during a press conference last week at Sangmyung University.

"First, we decided to work on something dealing with war since Korea was already famous for its romantic dramas in Asia. We thought the theme `war' would translate well not only in Asia but also in America and Europe. The second goal was to shed new light on the Korean War and also modern history for the younger generation who are only dimly aware of the tragedy over the years," Lee added.

Unlike other dramas which are filmed as they are aired, "Road No.1" was entirely pre-produced. It took three years and 13 billion won to complete the series, and the script was also finished completely before the start of filming. This is not common for Korean dramas, as writers and producers tend to change and edit their scripts and scenes along the way.

"Pre-production is something we have to follow in the future. Of course, this means we cannot change the script after listening to viewers' comments and feedback, but we managed to create a great drama in the end," Lee said.

The makers and writers had to fulfill their parts and match the deadline, but for the actors, the challenge was on an entirely different level. "It was a grueling and hungry experience. We had to starve in order to experience the same pain our ancestors had to go through 60 years ago," Choi Min-su, who plays a South Korean general, said.

Fellow actors So and Yoon also explained their hardship in filming the war drama.

"There were a lot of dangerous scenes and whenever there was an explosion, we had to duck and try to avoid the flying dirt and debris," Yoon said.

Such dodging didn't secure everyone from damage, and So was injured in the eye after a dynamite scene while Yoon got numerous bruises all over his body.

For Kim, the intensity was more emotional than physical, and the 32-year-old actress expressed her excitement on working on such a big budget drama. "This is my first period series, and I still remember the emotions I had when I was acting. I always wanted to play a character who longs for her lover," she said. "When I laid in bed at night after a scene from the soap, I could still hear the director shouting `Cut! Okay,' and also all the noise around the set. I wasn't sure if it was a dream or not," Kim added.

Expectations are high, but the drama has some rough competition ahead. Fellow war drama "Comrade" (KBS) already began airing last week with successful ratings and positive feedback from viewers for its realistic war depiction and impeccable acting from the veteran actors. Beating the dramas during the Wednesday-Thursday time slot also looks tricky. SBS' ``Bad Boy'' has garnered fans with its cast including actor Kim Nam-gil and actress Han Ga-in, while ``Bread, Love and Dreams'' has captivated the younger crowd with its fun storyline and cast including Eugene and Yoon Si-yoon. Despite the pressure, the actors and crew are hoping for a successful ride, both in popularity and ratings.

"Of course ratings are very important! We've been through so much over the past few months, I do hope our drama will do better than the others," Kim said laughing.

"Road No. 1" airs June 23 at 10 p.m. on MBC.

Source: sanghee@koreatimes.co.kr

June 21, 2010

Foreign ministry holds preview screening of heartening movie shot in East Timor

By Chang Jae-soon

1275874128-51.jpg

SEOUL, June 21 (Yonhap) -- Seoul's foreign ministry held a preview screening Monday of a heart-warming local movie shot in East Timor focusing on a retired South Korean footballer who devoted himelf to helping many underprivileged children in the war-devastated country.

"A Barefoot Dream" depicts a retired South Korean football player who first tries to sell football shoes in East Timor, but ends up coaching children in the impoverished, war-ravaged nation to pull off surprise victories in international tournaments.

The film, based on the true story of Kim Shin-hwan, a former footballer who initiated a youth football team in East Timor, was a hit when it was previewed at the U.N. headquarters earlier this month. The U.N. screening drew about 300 diplomats and officials, including East Timor's U.N. ambassador Sofia Borges.

It was the first known commercial film, except for documentaries, that has been previewed at the U.N. headquarters in New York, according to South Korean officials in Seoul. "What coach Kim offered to the next generations in East Timor is not just football, but he also gave them dreams that they could move on toward a bright future," South Korean Foreign Minister Yu Myung-hwan said in a speech ahead of Monday's preview.

"In the film, Coach Kim asks children whether the dreams of those worse-off should be worse-off. Children say no. This shows how we should contribute to the international community," he said.

The ministry decided to hold the preview because it features a South Korean diplomat who provides various help for the youth football team. South Korea's foreign ministry and its diplomatic mission in East Timor also provided the movie team with diplomatic and other support. "Had it not been for help from the foreign ministry and the embassy, it would have been impossible to shoot this film," the film's director Kim Tae-gyoon told the audience. "It was all thanks to the embassy that the film includes the surprise appearance of Prime Minister Xanana Gusmao, who was East Timor's president when the story took place."

Officials said that it was the world's first-ever movie shot in East Timor.

In the film, a woman reporter also helps the coach get donations when his football team had no money to fly to Japan for an international tournament. That is also based on a true story between a Yonhap News Agency journalist and coach Kim.

Also attending Monday's preview were coach Kim, lead actor Park Hee-soon, who plays the coach and Yonhap News Agency President and CEO Park Jung-chan. About 300 ministry officials, including Yu and Vice Foreign Minister Chun Yung-woo, also attended the session.

The 121-minute film is set to be released at home on Thursday.

Source: jschang@yna.co.kr yonhapnews.co.kr

June 21, 2010

Korean War retold in two new series

Sixty years have passed since the nightmare that was the Korean War broke out.

Since the war, films, documentaries and miniseries have done their best to serve as a reminder of the war that forever changed the history of this nation.

“TaeGukGi: Brotherhood of War” (2003) drew millions to the movie theater with its melodramatic story of two siblings whose love for one another went beyond enemy lines. “Welcome to Dongmakgol” (2005) portrayed the tragedy of war invading the lives of a village of pure-hearted civilians.

With such stellar blockbusters having set a precedent, this year’s retellings of the civil-turned-proxy war faces several challenges.

20100621001039_0.jpg

MBC spent 13 billion won to create “Road No. 1,” a drama that features intense

battle scenes from the Korean War. LOGOS FILM

Namely, from what angle will the incident be explored? How will the work set itself apart from its successful predecessors? How will it fire the imaginations of a younger generation of viewers for whom the war is primarily an incident taught in history books?

Amid tension heightened by the tragic sinking of the corvette Cheonan and on the eve of the 60th anniversary of the Korean War, two new miniseries take a stab at retelling history.

KBS’ “Legend of the Patriots” pre-empted MBC’s long-awaited “Road No. 1” by airing its first episode on Saturday night. The series nabbed nationwide viewer ratings of around 15 to 16 percent for its first two episodes, a good beginning for a series whose competition includes the 2010 FIFA World Cup.

The placing of the 20-episode series in a weekend timeslot saves it from direct friction with the Wednesday and Thursday night primetime slot that “Road No. 1” will be slipping into this week, a boon for “Legend of the Patriots,” whose production costs stand at an estimated 8 billion won ($6.6 million) – lower than the 13 billion won injected into “Road No. 1.”

Furthermore, “Road No. 1” boasts heavyweight Hallyu stars So Ji-sub and Kim Ha-neul, and former boy band member Yoon Kye-sang. The trio will fill out the “Pearl Harbor”-esque love triangle that will surely attract female viewers who might otherwise be turned off by the gruesome battle scenes.

In contrast, “Legend of the Patriots,” a remake of the 1975 KBS classic war series, focuses on a primarily male cast, headed by veteran actor Choi Soo-jong, in a plot that may conjure up comparisons to HBO’s “Band of Brothers” (2001), which hit Korean audiences via cable.

The focus lies primarily on Choi’s character and his squad, on their battles against North Korean and Chinese troops, their struggles to survive and the psychological and spiritual challenges they must overcome. Unfortunately, the gritty believability needed to bolster such a devastating take on the war was not present in the first two episodes.

Battle scenes took on the staged nuances of a theatrical play. Operatic music in the background detracted from key moments of terror when Chinese intervention in October 1950 brought about the horrific realization that the war was far from over.

The key, then, to maintaining viewer interest will most likely lie in the human factor, on how well Choi and his co-stars are able to portray the personal toll that the war takes on them, on the heartbreaking bonds that their characters form, and on the connections that they make with the audience.

On the flipside, “Road No. 1” shows all the signs of a success-in-the-making.

A massive budget, two major directors -- “Stairway to Heaven” director Lee Jang-soo and “Time Between Dog and Wolf” director Kim Jin-min -- and scriptwriter Hahn Ji-hun, who helped script “TaeGukGi: Brotherhood of War,” form the backbone of what promises to be a solid series.

Filming for the drama was completed over a period of six months, giving production plenty of time to amp up the grit and add gloss to the romance. Most importantly, the combination of heavy-duty action and high stakes romance gives “Road No. 1” the ability to attract a wide audience, both domestic and international, both male and female.

“I think Korean dramas have a specific characteristic,” said “Road No. 1” actor Yoon Kye-sang at the drama’s press conference on Friday. “Because they portray truly ardent love, love of the kind that one can sacrifice oneself for, I think it gives overseas viewers the ability to dream, to sort of dream of a love like that.”

Yoon, whose character courts Kim Ha-neul’s heroine after she receives news that her sweetheart (played by So Ji-sub) is dead, added: “I watched the first two episodes of ‘Road No. 1’ and, wow, they (So’s and Kim’s characters) really love each other.”

Romance, however, is not the only kind of love to be featured in the upcoming series. While both Yoon and So play rivals for the affections of one woman, the two characters end up bonding and fostering feelings of brotherly love for one another. “If I was a woman, really, I would have hit on him (So),” Yoon joked.

“While one shouldn’t use the word ‘love’ to describe one man’s feelings for another man, while filming, we bonded, and there are so many heartbreaking scenes,” bantered So. “The only thing we didn’t do was kiss.” “I loved him (Yoon’s character) more, more than Soo-yeon (Kim Ha-neul’s character),” So added in jest.

Intense battle scenes, as showcased in the preview highlight reel, promise to balance out the romance and melodrama of “Road No. 1.” Dirt flying from bombs exploding -- which according to actor Yoon, was recreated with real dynamite that was chopped up into bits -- trucks overturning, catching on fire, soldiers coughing up blood say that this is not a glorified, gentrified take on the war.

“Road No. 1” starts on Wednesday at 9:55 p.m. on MBC. 

“Legend of the Patriots” airs on KBS 1 TV on Saturdays and Sundays at 9:40 p.m.

By Jean Oh (oh_jean@heraldm.com) koreaherald.com

Archived