[News] Drama, Movies, Actors & Actresses

Guest CindyW88

June 9, 2010

[iNTERVIEW] Actress Kim So-yeon: Part 1-3

Reporter : Choi Ji-Eun Photographer : Lee Jin-hyuk Editor : Lee Ji-Hye Editor : Lynn Kim

2010060915172175288_1.jpg

Korean actress Kim So-yeon [photographed by Lee Jin-hyuk/10Asia]

Actress Kim So-yeon says "feels like I am back at the starting line"

Out of three Wednesday/Thursday evening dramas, which all premiered on the same day last March, SBS TV series "Princess Prosecutor" never scored the No. 1 viewership rating during its run. However, the show remained a well-made drama till the end with its tight storyline, unique characters played by all the right actors. It would not be an exaggeration to say that actress Kim So-yeon, who played the title character, displayed such impressive acting skills that might perhaps be the biggest achievement anyone has made in the first half of the year. Even though it wasn't the so-called "possessed acting," Kim So-yeon created an interesting chemistry seen in the perfect match-up of an actress and her character. After a long hiatus and challenging times, the actress, who used to be the representative star of trendy dramas in the 90s, the actress is back at a brand new starting line. And she is more hungry for acting now more than ever, she says. 10Asia interviewed Kim So-yeon, whose sincerity shone through during the interview and touched hearts at unsuspecting moments.

10: It has been quite a while since "Princess Prosecutor" ended but its popularity still seems to be lingering.

Kim: Yes, the show ended with the sixteenth episode but fans posted a trailer video for episode 17! I heard that they are still writing fictional scripts, haha. When I first started working on the show, there was so much responsibility and stress that I was very worried. But I am really grateful that so many people are still in love with "Princess Prosecutor."

10: The expectation for "Princess Prosecutor" was very high because it was going to a collaboration between director Jin Hyuk and writer So Hyun-kyung, who worked together on SBS TV series "Shining Inheritance." How did you feel when you were first offered the role?

Kim: When KBS drama "IRIS" ended, I really wanted to a completely different character, a very cheerful one. But I thought I wouldn't get offers to do a cheerful character because I played Sun-hwa in "IRIS." In fact, there was a role that I turned down because she was so similar to Sun-hwa. I was worried about my next acting project because didn't want to take a break from work, and that is when I got the synopsis [for "Princess Prosecutor." Director Jin Hyuk was actually an assistant director on SBS' "2004 Human Market," in which I played a cold, femme fatale character. I loved the script and I was so happy that someone who knew my real personality sent it to me, so I said I would do it right away. I had to wait about a month afterwards and I knew why. Not everyone thinks of me as the main lead so there must have a lot of worries about hiring me as the title character. So even when I heard rumors that someone else was cast for the role, I thought, "Ah, I didn't get it." but I wasn't disappointed. Then when I heard that I got the part, I felt like I had received a huge present.

2010060915172175288_2.jpg

Actress Kim So-yeon [Lee Jin-hyuk/10Asia]

10: It is surprising that you thought so yourself, "Not everyone thinks of me as the main lead."

Kim: When you look at comments on the Internet, you could see that many people were worried whether Kim So-yeon could really play a cheerful, adorable female character who is the essence of a romantic comedy. When I was in middle schol and high school, I too grew up watching Meg Ryan or Julia Roberts movies and I loved them. Romantic comedy was a genre that I really wanted to take on but I can't judge myself as an actress so I had doubts and worries about whether I could do a good job. And in a way, I'm not what people call a lovely-faced actress because I have strong facial features. And from a certain point on, I began to think that romantic comedy was not something that I could dare dream of doing.

10: The success of romantic comedy definitely depends on how convincingly the loveliness of its main character is conveyed to viewers.

Kim: I really loved the character Ma Hye-ri and that is why I was even more worried. That I wouldn't be able to convince people of playing this character because Kim So-yeon has a certain fixed image. I played a North Korean spy [in "IRIS"] and the character Heo Young-mi in MBC's "All about Eve" followed me around for ten years.

10: So then how did you try to approach the character Ma Hye-ri?

Kim: My biggest concern was to break free from conventional stereotypes. Every character is different but there is a certain fixed rule about the characters in scripts. In the past, I tended to stay faithful to these rules and played my characters according to how they were written in scripts. But this time I think I ignored all those rules because I wanted to try stuff that was only possible when playing Ma Hye-ri. I would try to soften some aspects, go up a notch sometimes, and even applied my usual way of speech and my own laughs too. I was scared if it was okay to do that but the writer used my speech style in the script and the director was very open to my attempts as well. I think that is why I was able to feel comfortable in front of the camera for the first time. In that sense, "Princess Prosecutor" is a coming of age story about Ma Hye-ri but it also made me very happy because I had a hard time over what people thought about me as an actress.

10: You are well-known for playing cold, arrogant characters like you did in "All About Eve" and "IRIS." But you also showed an off-the-wall, cheerful side of yourself on variety shows "Happy Together" and "Win Win," similar to your character in "Princess Prosecutor."

Kim: To be honest, I was scared of going on such variety shows. I thought an actress should show herself through her acting and often times I didn't like my hectic personality. My first "Happy Together" appearance was in 2008, but it took me a year before I actually went on the show. My manager told me, "You always say that you want loosen up and do a romantic comedy, but you are always hiding yourself from people. Who is going to use you when they don't see that side of yourself?" That is how he convinced me and I got up the courage to do it. Before the show I kept telling myself, "Just be myself. Even if people hate it, I would feel less bad if I was just myself. If I think something is funny, I'll laugh. If not, I won't. And if I don't get it, I'll just say I don't get it." I had a really tough time shooting the episode but I was surprised that people thought it was entertaining. And that is when I started to reveal other parts of myself, little by little, and that is how I came about doing "Princess Prosecutor."

10: You had some romantic storylines in your previous dramas, but in "Princess Prosecutor" the storyline between Ma Hye-ri and lawyer Seo (played by Park Shi-hoo) was particularly intense. Is there any difference in how you expressed your emotions?

Kim: I was totally absorbed in my character so it wasn't too difficult. And sometimes I think, I don't like being this old. (laugh) The ability to express emotions would have been different one year before or any time before that. You can't ignore your previous experiences or your first-sided loves. I remembered some things while I was shooting, and I think those helped me a lot. If I do something next year, it will probably be different too. Haha.

2010060916224124731_1.jpg

10: You have been a star since your teenage years. In certain times when you didn't have any work, it must have been easy for you, both emotionally and financially, to choose to do projects that didn't suit you but you never did. How were you able to turn them down?

Kim: Many times I came close to doing them, haha. I don't think there was anything that was completely out of the question for me to do. But there were times when I would have done a not-so-great drama but it got flopped. There was one drama that I wasn't so crazy about but thought, 'I'll just do it anyway." But they ended up casting someone else and I was humiliated. When you are forced to go on a hiatus like that, you begin to feel very determined afterwards. A part of me thought that I should just wait for something else to come along. You tell yourself, 'This is not the end of me" and endure it. When I look back at such times, I think those experiences helped me in the end but back then it was really difficult! (laugh)

10: I heard that when you debuted at the age of fifteen, you didn't think seriously about being an actor but that you just liked the idea of being one. But you got great reviews for "All About Eve," which you did when you were in your early twenties. People thought you looked like a real anchorwoman and that your pronunciation and vocalization were solid. Your unique and clear speech in "Princess Prosecutor" was also impressive.

Kim: When I was doing "All About Eve," I really practiced a lot, saying my lines with a pencil in my mouth. Even now when there is something I can't pronounce clearly, I put a pencil between my teeth and practice. There aren't many opportunities nowadays to practice with older veteran actors because we have a different system for making dramas. But back when I was young, there were many veteran actors on the set and I was able to acquire certain things naturally. You know, like on the dramas I did when I was in high school. For MBC TV series "Mother and Sister," I had act face-to-face every day with veteran actresses Na Moon-hee and Go Doo-shim. I didn't have a particular obsession about pronunciation or vocalization, but it's just that viewers can hear me better if I say my words clearly.

10: I thought you would make a great narrator for documentaries.

Kim: I would love to do that! I really wish they would hire me. (laugh) I am very interested in things I can do with my voice. I want to do voice-overs for animations and it is my dream to host KBS music show "Open Concert." I want to be a deejay for late-night radio shows but I don't know if they will hire me for late-night programs. Because I am so scatty. I might wake people up! Haha.

2010060916224124731_2.jpg

Actress Kim So-yeon [Lee Jin-hyuk/10Asia]

10: You seem to watch all kinds of TV programs. From what you've said on talk shows, you seem to know a lot of idol group singers too.

Kim: Ahaha, I know all about them! I watch SBS' "Inkigayo" every day at home. I watch a lot of old dramas and shows on cable and my favorite show is SBS' "Wowhow." Observing how people live their lives is very entertaining, but there are many inspiring and heartbreaking stories on the show as well. I think it's the best show, really.

10: There seems to be a little gap between how you look and how you sound. You look like an urban, intelligent woman but you sound like a very lively person.

Kim: I tried to lower the tone of my voice in the past. When I would laugh out loud and say hello to the president of my agency, he used to tell me "Change your voice. Act like how you look!" But one day he gave up and now he imitates my laugh. The funny thing is, the things that I had been trying to hide, fix or get rid of for a long time has now become acceptable after playing Ma Hye-ri.

10: Because now you have been accepted for being you?

Kim: Yes. I got a negative criticism right after I did "All About Eve." People said that I was pretentious and trying to act cute, and it hurt me so badly that I avoided doing video interviews for a long time. I do interviews with many different media outlets and whomever I met, I would think it was fate in some way and try to be nice to them. But people misunderstood me in various ways and that was very upsetting. I still remember my make-up artist telling me, "Someday people will know the real you." And exactly ten years later, I was able to go from being Heo Young-mi to being Ma Hye-ri. I love that I can be so comfortable doing this interview right now. That is why I am so grateful to Hye-ri. I was able to start over by playing her and now I don't get just one type of character. And even if I go back to playing such characters, I am thankful that people will know that it is "acting" and not the real me. I really feel like I am back at the starting line and like I finally have done and away with something I was supposed to do.

10: You received the People's Choice award for "IRIS" at the KBS Acting Awards last year. It was funny to see you so much more ecstatic than I thought you would be. Do you wish you had more star power as an actress?

Kim: I would be lying if I said I didn't because I do feel happier when I have more star power. But I don't want to chase after empty goals like being the most-searched celebrity on the web or being in the spotlight. I used to desire such things in the past but now I know how easily they vanish and you can't see anything else if you are too caught in that. These days I am trying to be indifferent to things like that.

10: It took exactly ten years to go from being Heo Young-mi to being Ma Hye-ri. Now that you have entered your thirties, is there anything you want to achieve?

Kim: This might make you cringe but really, my head is full of thoughts about acting right now. So much that I feel like the actress Kim So-yeon has eaten up the human being Kim So-yeon. So I want to keep working non-stop and do everything that I can possibly do. I don't have plans of becoming a certain actress by doing this and that. I want to be a truly great actress who works hard, plays all kinds of characters and can always do the work that she wants to do. Because I know that waiting around is really hard. (laugh)

2010060922395252315_1.jpg

10: Your actual personality of being unpredictable and vivacious, that you showed on the talk show, often also shows in your portrayal of your character Ma Hae-ri. Have you considered yourself to be similar to her?

Kim So-yeon (Kim): Of course. From the start the director and writer told me to be myself and it was to the point where in the beginning, I became worried thinking 'Is this okay? I don’t feel like I’m acting.' The scenarist wrote the script incorporating my original form of speech and laughter and I think I couldn’t tell the difference between me and my character Hae-ri toward the end. I have two older sisters and I am the youngest of the three but I was the only who had a very cheerful personality ever since I was young. My dad even really really liked it when I would act in the most coquettish way and both my mom and dad see me as a little girl. Have you ever held hands with a boy? When did you ever kiss someone? They ask me these questions thinking I don't know how to. (laugh)

10: However, it may seem like Hae-ri is thoughtless girl trying to act cute so what are some of the things you paid particular attention to in order to portray her as a loveable person for the female viewers?

Kim: I think from the first episode up till the fifth episode [about the child molester case of Ji-min] was about showing the extent of Hae-ri’s thoughtlessness. Honestly, she's the kind of person who lives strictly in her own world, loves herself a lot and has no intentions of hurting anyone on purpose so I thought really hard about how I would be able to express this character who you should not hate. More so because I knew she’s not but it could easily seem like there’s nothing more to her than the fact that she’s thoughtless. But I think it came to me in a flash while I was playing with my eight-year-old niece. When you ask the question "Do you like this person or that person?" adults would hesitate to answer but children answer right away saying "This person!" and when I ask "Do you think I'm pretty or not?" they would answer honestly, "No, you're not pretty!" But whether she answers in this way or that, I just couldn’t stop thinking how loveable she is. So I thought that the audience was unable to hate Hae-ri because of how honest and naive she is, like a child.

2010060922395252315_2.jpg

10: Which scene was the hardest to take on?

Kim: When I was reading the synopsis I really liked the part where Hae-ri is shown as being very fat while in high school and I wanted to highlight those scenes so suggested ideas like “How about I stand in front of the mirror and dance or dance while cleaning the house?" to the director. I felt that her not having had much social interaction and being doped over and over again in the past was a crucial factor to what her current personality turned out to be like. It took about seven to eight hours to put on the special disguise for the scenes where Hae-ri reminisces about the past and we had to do it several times because it kept melting down. My hands and face were really heavy and I don't usually sweat but after putting on the disguise, it was so hot to the point where drops of sweat would fall. At the time, we were several weeks into shooting the drama without sleep, so the director said he thought I could even collapse because he knew how hard those shoots [in special effect make-up] were. For me it wasn't really that hard so thanks to that I was told I have ‘heaven-sent physical strength.’ I was fine, other than the fact that my whole body felt like it had gotten beaten up and I had trouble walking the next day. (laugh)

10: After Hae-ri goes on a diet, her trademark becomes wearing extravagant clothes and killers heels. But what is your everyday style like?

Kim: A long time ago I really liked dressing up and it was almost like a hobby because I would try on clothes when I get bored at home. In a way, I was thought I was creating my style and wrote down 'this outfit matches with these shoes and that outfit goes with those shoes' and I would refer to it whenever I go out. There was a time when I couldn't just walk past bags, shoes and accessories [without buying something] but now I think I'm less greedy and don't think about it as much. I will sometimes give my bags to my sister or mom because it's such a waste to have it laying around and most of the time I dress in comfortable clothes. Since I am girl I will probably want to dress up again but sometimes I feel it's a waste of energy

10: How did Ma Hae-ri's unique hairstyle come about? It was quite popular.

Kim: I had short hair, a different style for the first shoot but when I took a photo [with my mobile phone] and sent it to the scenarist, she suggested that Hae-ri would look better in a prettier and cheerful type of hairstyle. So after we wrapped up shoot that day, we created my hairstyle with its bangs and drizzling curly hair through a ten-hour process. Hye-ri hinks she is pretty and because she loves dressing up, she would spend the morning curling her hair but I thought that the character itself shouldn’t actually be pretty ? it could rather make Hae-ri less attractive to the viewers. So, I just pushed forward with that and I felt that I became Ma Hae-ri whenever I wore that hairstyle.

2010060922395252315_3.jpg

10: After KBS' "IRIS" finished its run, you appeared on talk show "Win Win" and said that your family finally boasts about your success. What did your family have to say about "Princess Prosecutor?"

Kim: Of course my mom really liked [my character] Sun-hwa in "IRIS" but this time she loved "Princess Prosecutor" so much that she would stay home all day to watch it. To the extent where she would call SBS Plus to find out the times of the reruns. (laugh) She especially likes the scenes where Hae-ri imitates the tone of Seo In-woo (played by Park Si-hoo).

10: There are many people who envy you for your great body. What are your secrets to staying in shape?

Kim: Haha. Great body! I don't have a great body! But I used to be very skinny before. I weighed five kilograms less than I am now so they had to pin my clothes because even the smallest sizes were too big for me -- 'skeleton-like' would be the very expression for it. But what was strange was that I didn't even know I was skinny. But I became much healthier while preparing for "IRIS" because I worked out, was on a different diet and so I wear different size clothes now. But I like the way I look now and I used to think that skinny girls looked pretty before but I think girls who look fit look prettier now. Of course, I won't try to fool myself -- it's tough working out and the diet doesn't taste good but I think I've become much healthier mentally. What is important is that you shouldn't become stressed while working out. I'm lucky in that sense because my trainer taught me to exercise while having fun.

10: Is there an actor who serves as your role model?

Kim: Everyone that I meet in everyday life is my role model, rather than it being someone in particular. Like my manager, stylist... I even practice my acting while playing with my nephew. Everyone is different when they're watching TV too so I think that's its' important to be open-minded when it comes to judging people.

10: Many people are looking forward to the second season of "Princess Prosecutor." What are your thoughts on this?

Kim: I'd definitely be happy to do it! I'm not looking forward to it because the director told me it would be unlikely to happen but I think there is no reason at all that I wouldn't be able to work with such enjoyable people again. There are a lot more detailed stories to tell about prosecutors so I really wish it would happen! Haha.

Reporter: Choi Ji-Eun five@ Photographer: Lee Jin-hyuk eleven@ Editor: Lee Ji-Hye seven@, Lucia Hong luciahong@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia 1 l 2 l 3

• Replies 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

June 9, 2010

Jang Dong-gun's 6 months pregnant wife spotted

Reporter: Cho Bum-ja Editor : Lucia Hong

2010060915485527241_1.jpg

Six-month pregnant Ko So-young spotted on the streets of Hongdae [Y-Star]

Korean actress Ko So-young, six months pregnant with her husband actor Jang Dong-gun's baby, was spotted in the streets of Seoul last week, according to cable entertainment channel Y-Star on Wednesday.

Y-Star released photographs it had snapped last Friday of Ko, leaving a studio after a commercial shoot in the Hongik University area which is known for its various independent and underground culture. The actress proved to be the fashionista she is even as a pregnant mom, styling a short denim jumpsuit with white oversized sunglasses and a big bag, but strolling in sneakers in consideration for her pregnancy.

Ko, who made her debut in the KBS series "Tomorrow's Love" alongside Hallyu star Lee Byung-hun in 1992, has appeared in numerous dramas and movies, rising to stardom after her role in the 1997 movie "Beat." She made headlines last month when she married Korean actor Jang Dong-gun, also her co-star from 1999 movie "Love Wind, Love Song."

The newlyweds returned from their honeymoon in Bali last month.

2010060915485527241_2.jpg

Six-month pregnant Ko So-young spotted on the streets of Hongdae [Y-Star]

Reporter: Cho Bum-ja anju1015@ Editor : Lucia Hong luciahong@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

June 9, 2010

[iNTERVIEW] "Dong Yi" director says Ji Jin-hee "mischievous"

20100607075224036934979_00000004_1_PA.jpg

"Dong Yi" director Lee Byung-hoon [Lee Ki-bum/Asia Economic Daily]

Lee Byung-hoon, the maestro of Korean historical dramas including smash hit "Jewel in the Palace," has called top Korean actor Ji Jin-hee "quite the mischievous one," a trait suiting his role as the 'frivolous' King Sukjong in current drama "Dong Yi - Jewel in the Crown."

The famed TV series director made the remark of the Hallyu star, widely recognized for his image as an actor with a mellow temperament and mild manners, during an interview with Asia Economic Daily over the weekend. "He wasn't able to show who he really was while doing 'Jewel in the Palace' because he was overshadowed by Lee Young-ae's presence. His role in the show also kept him from doing so," the 65-year-old helmer said of his first experience working with Ji seven years ago.

"Jewel in the Palace," which breached viewership ratings of 55 percent during its six-month run, had also became a sensation across Asia, airing in over 50 countries across the region and drawing high ratings in Japan in particular.

Ji's then role as the benevolent and virtuous judge Min Jung-ho who will do anything to protect his love Jang Geum, played by Lee Young-ae, had helped his popularity soar in the region, as well as assure the director of his decision to cast Ji a second time. "I knew from working with him before that there is no instability to his acting, as well the fact that he's a Hallyu star, " Lee explained. And his faith in the actor paid off.

The King Sukjong in "Dong Yi" who will frivolously wave at his court ladies and swing about a sword poorly saying he has "held one before but never put it into action," is a favorite amongst viewers on the hit show whose ratings, which started out slow yet has been on a steady rise, breached the 30 percent mark on its most recent episode aired on Tuesday.

Unlike in previous historical dramas where all kings in Korean history have been portrayed as being solemn and grave, director Lee had his version of Sukjong be "a different kind of a king, just like there are different kinds of people." "There must have been free-spirited, humorous and playful kings too but they would only be able to show such a personality if they are confident about who they are, someone who is confident about their power," Lee said. "I concluded that Sukjong could be that very kind of person because he is the one true monarch in Korean history," Lee explained of his decision to put a fresh take on the king portrayed throughout numerous accounts.

"Dong Yi," also starring Han Hyo-joo, is about Dong Yi who grows up to become Choi Suk-bin, a consort of King Sukjong and the mother of King Youngjo during the Joseon Dynasty.

The 50-part series, now halfway into its run, was sold to several countries in Asia including Japan, Thailand and Hong Kong which brought in profits over eight billion won even ahead of going on air in Korea.

Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr/

June 10, 2010

Can Ryu Si-won follow Yonsama’s act?

09201646.jpg

Korean actor and signer Ryu Si-won has teamed up with the Korea Tourism Organization

to promote two tour packages to overseas travelers, especially those from Japan, where he has

a large fan base. Ryu, who has a professional racing license, often participates in races in Korea,

and many of his Japanese fans visit Korea to see Ryu drive. Provided by the Korea Tourism Organization

Korean actor-singer Ryu Si-won will team up with the Korea Tourism Organization to attract overseas travelers to Korea, especially tourists from Japan, where he has a large fan base.

The KTO said in a statement late last month that it had signed a contract with Ryu to develop two new tour packages.

One of these is a tour that gives travelers access to the Formula 1 World Championship Korean Grand Prix in Yeongam, South Jeolla, in October and includes a visit to Damyunjae, a traditional Korean house in historic Hahoe Village, Andong, North Gyeongsang. Ryu has a professional racing license and often competes in races here, and many of his Japanese fans have visited to see him drive. Damyunjae is also a popular destination for Ryu’s fans because the house is owned and maintained by his family.

The other tour will be organized around Ryu’s birthday. About 3,000 fans from Korea and overseas will make the trek to Korea to attend a birthday event organized by Ryu’s agency. “In the past, celebrities allowed us to use their images in our promotions but this is the first time that a major star like Ryu will make personal appearances to attract visitors,” said Han Eun-ji, an official with the KTO’s public relations team.

After witnessing what it calls the “Bae Yong-joon effect,” the nation’s tourism body decided to enlist other celebrities who are popular overseas to help boost tourism this year. Korean actor Bae Yong-joon became popular throughout Asia with his portrayal of the sophisticated main character in the TV drama “Winter Sonata.”

Eight years later, his fans are still willing to spend money on items related to him. Although the drama series came to an end in March 2002, Keyeast Co., the entertainment company that produced an animated version of Winter Sonata that was released last year, said it saw a sales increase of 223 percent from a year ago in the first quarter of this year due to sales of the drama.

Bae has worked as a promotional representative for the KTO for the past three years, and the tourism organization believes his efforts have contributed to higher-than-expected number of travelers from Japan, where he is extremely popular. Last year, the KTO set a goal of attracting 7.5 million visitors from overseas, but it exceeded its goal with a total of 7.8 million visitors. Four out of 10 of those travelers were from Japan, the tourism organization said. That helped the tourism organization turn a profit for the first time since 2000.

Like Bae, Ryu has also a large fan base in Japan. A total of 1,200 Japanese fans were invited to an event for fans in February and desperate fans searching for invitations helped push the ticket price to 2 million won ($1,818). His concerts in Japan also often sell out. The 80,000 tickets for his concert there last November sold out quickly. “Most of Ryu’s fans are Japanese, so we expect to earn about 15 billion won if we succeed in meeting our goal and attract 10,000 visitors from Japan this year,” said Han. “A Japanese tourist spends about $1,300 in Korea on average, so it is a possible goal.”

Although the Korean wave, or hallyu, has started to fade in Japan, some Korean stars continue to maintain huge fan bases there. Along with Bae and Ryu, actor Park Yong-ha, comedian Cho Hye-ryun, actor Lee Byung-hun and Kwon Sang-woo often make headlines in Japanese entertainment news and many of the nation’s idol groups still head to Japan in hopes of becoming the next Bae or Ryu. Most recently, girl groups T-ara, 4 Minute, After School and KARA debuted in Japan.

By Sung So-young [so@joongang.co.kr] joongangdaily.com

June 9, 2010

Korean Cinema to Open in Los Angeles

The first cinema dedicated to Korean films will open in Los Angeles this Friday. Located at the Madang Courtyard in Koreatown, CGV LA has a seating capacity of 600 and three screens, with at least one of them to show Korean films all the time.

To mark its opening, CGV LA invited Hollywood insiders to a preview of a selection of Korean films, including "Blades of Blood," "The Servant," "Blood Brother" and "Take Off."

2010060900716_0.jpg

The multiplex cinema will select a roster of Korean films, which will be screened with English subtitles. Non-Korean films will be shown with Korean subtitles. The facility will also be used for events such as independent film screenings and music showcases.

CGV LA expects the cinema to help more Korean films make inroads into the U.S. With nearly 95 percent of the market currently dominated by Hollywood movies, CGV sees potential for Korean films there. "Rather than focusing on immediate profitability, we’ll make efforts to introduce Korean films and contents," CGV said.

Source: englishnews@chosun.com

June 10, 2010

[PHOTO] Han Ji-hye talks about new book

Photographer : Park Sung-Ki Editor : Jessica Kim

2010061014295966424_1.jpg

2010061014295966424_2.jpg

Actress Han Ji-hye speaks at a press conference marking the publication of her book "My Fair Lady" held at tea brand o'sulloc's store in Seoul, South Korea on June 10, 2010.

2010061014284054513_1.jpg

Actress Han Ji-hye poses with her book "My Fair Lady" at a press conference marking its publication held at tea brand o'sulloc's store in Seoul, South Korea on June 10, 2010.

2010061014221505274_1.jpg

2010061014221505274_2.jpg

Actress Han Ji-hye poses with her book "My Fair Lady" at a press conference marking its publication held at tea brand o'sulloc's store in Seoul, South Korea on June 10, 2010.

Photographer : Park Sung-Ki musictok@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia 1 l 2 l 3

June 10, 2010

Choi Soo Jong: ‘I Fight War Every Week’

Cho Soo Jong: “As I am filming a war drama, I have to fight a war every week and there are always battles. And because the actors have to fight for their lives in many battle scenes, I am always acting desperately.”

7408_1265_l.jpg

Actor Choi Soo Jong is coming back to TV dramas as squad commander Lee Hyun Joong in the remake drama “Legend of the Patriots,” which was loved nationwide in the 1970s. During the production presentation held at KBS International Conference Hall on June 9, Choi Soo Jong said, “When we filmed a battle scene in which shells are bursting and bullets are flying, it was very frightening. Every cast member has scars on their face or somewhere on their body. Remembering the places where shells were buried was more difficult than memorizing script lines.”

“Legend of the Patriots” will portray the story of squad members who had advanced to the Amnok river region after fighting at Nakdong River to defend the region and successfully complete the Incheon Landing Operations during the Korean war. The story was already produced as a drama in 1975 with main actor Ra Si Chan, and it enjoyed tremendous popularity at that time. The drama had been produced for a second season with main actor Kang Min Ho in 1983. In 2010’s “Legend of the Patriots,” Choi Soo Jong will play the veteran soldier and squad commander Lee Hyun Joong, whom Ra Si Chan portrayed in the original drama.

7408_1266_l.jpg

Squad commander Lee Hyun Joong is a principled person who is like the other soldiers’ older brother. Choi Soo Jong actually takes care of other actors on the set like their older brother. Choi said, “Before we film a scene which could be very dangerous, I talk with the other actors about the scene in advance and suggest they pay special attention to safety when we film the scene. There is a junior actor who is always following me when we film a scene which includes a bomb explosion.” He also confessed that even though he had played a main actor in other blockbuster historical dramas such as “Emperor of the Sea” and “The King Dae Joyoung,” a war drama is much more difficult to film.

He stated, “We are trying to present the horror and tragedy of war through a picture tube, so we had to film many cruel scenes. I do not know how it will be portrayed through TV, but I tried not to make any mistakes and errors and to keep angled towards viewers.”

Even though he debuted 20 years ago, he said that he continues to have more desire for acting, which is why he decided to act in a war drama, which is difficult to film. He uttered, “I was seriously concerned about many things and wanted to show something special, so I chose the drama 'Legend of the Patriots' as my next work. There is a problem though that the more I act, the more I become greedy for acting. What do I have to do from now on? Anyway, I want to remain as a good actor as I put more effort into managing myself.”

7408_1267_l.jpg

The drama “Legend of the Patriots” will air its first episode on KBS 1TV on June 19 at 9:40 pm, when the World Cup preliminaries are at their height.

Cho Soo Jong, who is known to be a soccer lover, delivered the message that he is confident in winning in a competition of viewers’ rating with World Cup preliminary games. He said, “With luck, there won't be a Korean team game on the broadcasting day of ‘Legend of the Patriots,’ but I will definitely watch any game of our Korean team even on the set. I had exercised for training by playing soccer before I began filming the drama. Of course, I will watch the Korean team play.”

Source: KBS Global

June 10, 2010

Rain Denies Rumors of Dating Jeon Ji-hyeon

e100610_01.jpg

Despite the rumors that have been linking two of Korea's hottest stars, the official word is out that these rumors are indeed false. Top star, Rain, has spoken out saying that he is not dating one of the popular actress, Jeon Ji-hyeon. ?They were originally supposed to star in the drama "The Fugitive" together, but plans fell through. Jeon was since replaced with actress, Lee Na-young.

Rain's representative company, JTune Entertainment, released an official statement saying that though the two stars are close, they are not romantically involved.

One media source had reported on the 10th, that Rain and Jeon started dating around late May.?There were also recently pictures of Rain supposedly going into Jeon Ji-hyeon's home in Samsung-dong of Seoul. Rain's rep cleared the air by saying that he was visiting another friend, but the photo was presented in a way to make it seem like he was visiting Jeon. He also denied the related rumors of a family ring being distorted to ring that was symbolic of their love.

JTune Entertainment continued by saying that it's a shame Rain can't keep his private life private due to his celebrity status, and that he's even considering taking legal action against the current rumors.

Rain's agency offically denies dating rumors

Reporter : Lynn Kim Editor : Jessica Kim

2010061015180325822_1.jpg

Top Korean stars Jun Ji-hyun (left) and Rain [sidus HQ / J.Tune Entertainment]

Asian superstar Rain's agency J.Tune Entertainment has officially denied the day's earlier reports that the singer and actor has been secretly dating top Korean actress Jun Ji-hyun.

J. Tune announced in a press release Thursday afternoon -- several hours after local media Sportsseoul.com reported that the two have been romantically involved since last October -- that details of their alleged courtship, such as how and where they met, are "not true."

"It is true that Rain is friends with Jun," an official at J. Tune was quoted as saying, confirming numerous reports that the actors have discussed appearing in a television drama together. However, the official denied Sportsseoul.com's story about Rain and Jun meeting through a mutual acquaintance, a prominent figure in the Korean conglomerate family who played matchmaker for the stars.

In response to paparazzi photos and an eye witness' account of Rain's frequent visits to Jun's apartment in Seoul's tony Samsung-dong neighborhood, he said the actor was actually visiting "a friend" who lived in the same building. And photos of their cars entering the apartment complex were "taken on separates dates," as opposed to traveling separately in order to keep their romantic meetings secret from the public, the official added.

Sportsseoul.com had also presented several photos of Rain and Jun wearing accessories from Cartier, a high-end jewelry maker, as evidence that they were a couple. In the pictures, Rain was seen wearing a platinum ring on his ring finger while Jun had a leather bracelet from the same brand.

J. Tune explained that the ring is "a family ring," not a couple ring representing the actor's romantic commitment to the actress. The agency ended the statement by saying they are "saddened" that Rain's privacy has been invaded and that they are considering "taking legal actions" against the false media report.

Reporter : Lynn Kim lynn2878@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

Are Rain and Jun Ji-hyun dating? 10.asiae.co.kr

Rain and Jun Ji-hyun's agencies deny dating rumors 10.asiae.co.kr

Rain and Jeon Ji-hyeon in love? koreatimes.co.kr

'Rain, Jun Ji-hyun in secret relationship' koreaherald.com

June 10, 2010

Kim Yu-na shrugs off scandal, criticism on TV

100610_pm_kim.jpg

Figure skater Kim Yu-na, 20, dismissed criticism over her appearance in TV advertisements and rumors of celebrity romance.

As a guest on TV talk show 'Golden Fishing Ground,' Kim defended herself Wednesday when the host brought up some observers' criticism that Kim appears in too many TV commercials, earning her a derogatory nickname "Money Yu-na".

"I think it's unfair, because the handful of commercials I took get repeated many times on TV," Kim said.

She also denied rumors of celebrity boyfriend. In the past, she was linked with swimmer Park Tae-hwan, 21,actor Jang Geun-seok, 23, and singer Lee Teuk, 27, a member of Super Junior.

"I've never even met any of them," she said.

Source: koreatimes.co.kr

June 10, 2010

'71' sheds light on young soldiers

By Lee Hyo-won

Staff reporter

100610_p10_71.jpg

A scene from “71-Into the Fire” directed by John H. Lee and starring top stars including Kwon Sang-woo

and T.O.P of popular K-pop group Big Bang/ Courtesy of Lotte Entertainment

A star-studded, big budget war movie comes in time for the 60th anniversary of the outbreak of the Korean War on June 25, 1950, leading the array of anticipated summer blockbusters.

"71 ­ Into the Fire’’ was inspired by a true incident in which boy soldiers perished during the conflict, and their tragic story comes to life through a film with impressive production values. Though it suffers some critical flaws and at times feels Hollywood manufactured, performances by hallyu stars, particularly the gripping big screen debut by pop star T.O.P, will ensure ticket sales in Asia.

In the summer of 1950, North Korea crossed the 38th Parallel and seized Seoul in just three days. The Communist troops continued their way down toward Busan, and South Korean soldiers had to defend the southernmost port city while awaiting the arrival of additional U.N. forces.

On Aug. 10, several hundred South Korean soldiers and 71 boys drafted for the national emergency were on standby in Pohang, located two hours away from Nakdong River, a critical frontier. Due to the shortage of men, the small city was left in the hands of the teens. The boys were each equipped with nothing but an M1 rifle and 250 bullets. But by engaging in four battles they were able to prolong the North’s march south for 11 hours, during which some 200,000 civilians were able to flee to safety and the South Korean and U.N. forces were able to better prepare for combat.

Some 60 North Korean soldiers lost their lives while 48 of the 71 boys died. One of the fallen heroes, 16-year-old Lee U-geun, left behind letters addressed to his mother that testify to the horrors of war. The film was inspired by the words of the young hero, who is played by Choi Seung-hyun, better known as T.O.P of the pop group Big Bang.

The first major production after the 2004 blockbuster "Tae-guk-gi" to shed light on the inter-Korean conflict, "71" was directed by John H. Lee. He has displayed his flair for orchestrating human emotions in the melodrama "A Moment to Remember,’’ and smartly sticks to human drama. The film is first and foremost a coming-of-age story. Choi shines as Oh Jang-beom, a timid young student who suddenly finds himself thrown into a skirmish for survival ― "Mother I might die today… I’m not afraid of death, but I’m afraid I might never see you or my brothers again. I wish the war would end soon so I may return to your arms," he writes after the sun sets.

When he is ordered to head the group of 71 untrained boy soldiers, he must overcome self-doubts about his leadership. This becomes increasingly difficult when Gu Gap-jo, a thuggish orphan, constantly challenges his authority (Kwon Sang-woo displays some more of his "Spirit of Jeet Keun Do ­ Once Upon a Time in High School’’-style acting that is all-too-familiar, but it works). While the warm-hearted South Korean officer Gang Seok-dae (a rather anticlimactic performance by Kim Seung-woo) tries his best to return for the boys, a faceoff is inevitable with the North Korean soldiers led by the ruthless and charismatic General Park Mu-rang (played Cha Seung-won, who unfortunately still seems to confuse the movie set for a fashion magazine shoot with his feigned expressions).

It’s a polished war film _ the explosions, dummy corpses and crumbling buildings take viewers straight into the heart of a blood-splattered battlefield, and flashes of red Communist flags in particular provide for a visually striking mise-en-scene amid the gritty, earthy color palette. Grand orchestral melodies crown climactic moments.

Motion pictures however must establish a unique sense of time and space, and a critical flaw is that it fails to plot the drama with the appropriate ebb and flow. "71’’ creates a convincing physical world: the sight of gun-toting students defending an abandoned school building highlights the fact that they are just helpless little boys.

The film loses its dramatic edge because it does not establish a sense of time; the boys are given but two hours until a big showdown with the Northerners, which could have provided for some pulsating sequences, particularly since Jang-beom is wearing a watch, symbolically given to him by Gang.

In theaters June 16. Distributed by Lotte Entertainment.

Source: hyowlee@koreatimes.co.kr

June 10, 2010

Reuters Interview with Lee Byung Hun at the IRIS Concert Event

irisjp_166.jpg

Lee Byung-heon, one of Asia's top superstars, pulled in massive crowds across Japan earlier last week as he toured to promote his latest performance one of South Korean's most expensive television series ever.

Speaking to Reuters in between two events, Lee talked about his recent breakthrough in Hollywood movies such as "I Come with the Rain" and "G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra" and his role in the latest South Korean drama due to make waves in Japan.

"No matter how fluent English he or she speaks, to perform in Hollywood their acting would be only mimicking those of western actors unless they fully understand the culture there. So, I admit that to advance to Hollywood is a remarkable thing for an actor, but if you're not fully aware of western culture, you should stick to what you know from your own cultural background," Lee said when asked if strong language skills were enough to help Asian stars break in to Hollywood and other markets.

The "Korean Wave" -- a boom in South Korean pop culture -- swept Japan and much of Asia from as early 2000. But even though South Korean dramas, especially those of the romance genre, have become a staple of Japanese cable and daytime TV, a prime-time slot on network television has been virgin territory until now with Lee's latest espionage spectacular called IRIS.

The series is notable for being one of a very few foreign dramas to ever appear on Japanese network TV during the 7-10 p.m. "Golden Time" slot, which is typically heavy on quiz shows featuring local stars. IRIS revolves around two operatives, played by Lee and Jung Joon-ho, and their sultry colleague, Kim Tae-hee, in the ultra-secret spy organization NSS, caught up in North/South political intrigue from Hungary to Japan in a shadowy world of assassins and arms dealers.

While the drama focuses on the political issues of the North/South divide, tensions between the two Koreas in the real world have also racked up since the sinking of the South Korean corvette Cheonan. "When I see dramas or movies that feature the South-North Korean cooperation, I feel very happy and wish that we can be that friendly and that close someday, because we are all brothers. I believe the same hopes are shared by everyone; South and North alike. But in the current situation, in which you don't know what's going to happen in the next moment, I feel very sad and regretful," Lee said.

The series, which has started airing on Japanese broadcaster TBS, was a blockbuster during its original 20-episode run on South Korean public broadcaster KBS last autumn with average viewer ratings of over 30 percent and while Lee has enjoyed popularity in both Japan and South Korea, he explained that a certain amount is down to luck.

"Certain amounts of good luck always exist behind any stories of success though the "amount" is different in all cases. One of the key things that leads to success for an artist like me is what I choose to perform or in other words choosing your own work," Lee told Reuters.

Source: unui2580@donga.com ⓒ donga.com & REUTERS media.daum.net

June 11, 2010

‘This is how you hunt witches’

Tablo talks about how a life can be nearly destroyed by malicious netizens

11001135.jpg

Tablo By Kang Jung-hyun

In the middle of fighting a cyber-witchhunt questioning his degrees from Stanford University, singer/actor Tablo sat down with the JoongAng Daily yesterday for an exclusive, two-hour interview in which he discussed family, his music career - and the ability of anonymous netizens to destroy both. Here are excerpts.

Q. Don’t you think you should have done something when the rumor first circulated?

A. I’m a musician and I’ve tried hard to become a musician, but people were always interested in the college I graduated from. But it was burden for me because [people and journalists] asked about my college. If I said yes [i graduated from Stanford], netizens told me I was being arrogant and I was always talking about my education. Because of these people’s reaction, I felt embarrassed to mention my education on television programs.

What I want to ask people is: “Do I need my transcript and diplomas to become a musician?” When it turned out that some entertainers fabricated their educational credentials a couple of years ago, reporters verified mine. So I thought I didn’t need to say: “See? I studied really hard.” Since I was verified a couple of times by reporters and TV programs, I assumed people wouldn’t buy those lies. I couldn’t even dream that so many people would think that I’m lying.

Why do you think these rumors became so prevalent over the past couple of days?

When I saw people were targeting my family with verbal abuse, I sued one netizen [who is accused of spreading rumors about Tablo in the first place] because I didn’t want my father to see all this. His health has been bad for so long. So I sued the guy, but took care to keep a low profile with it. But then one reporter wrote about it, and even people who were not even interested in me started thinking I was lying. I’m the one who sued for malice, and then I felt like I was being judged negatively.

The biggest question among people who are suspicious about you is whether you wrote a paper for your master’s degree.

As you know, every school in the United States has various systems. I don’t need to explain them all. There are some master’s degrees where you have to write papers, but under Stanford’s co-terminal program, I wrote about 20 to 30 pages of thesis for every subject, not like publishing a paper [under the co-terminal program]. There is one thesis I wrote about Andy Warhol. If people search the Web site of Stanford, they would know [all this] but a lot of it was lost in translation. People couldn’t read the English themselves. If somebody translated it for them, they’d believe it’s true.

How do you feel?

I feel damaged. I mean, the things people ask me. If I asked you what happened to you eight, nine, or 10 years ago, you wouldn’t be able to give me exact details. For people to expect me to remember every single last detail in my past, it’s impossible. They can say, “Hey were you really wearing this 10 years ago?” If I say I don’t remember, they say, “You’re hiding something.” If I say I think I was wearing a shirt, they say, “No you weren’t. I have a picture of you wearing a jacket.” This is a type of thing I’m going though right now. This is how you hunt witches, basically. This is how a witch hunt works.

What do you want now?

I don’t care about restoring my public image. What I really want is that no one else is victimized as I have been by a combination of anonymity and malice [in cyberspace]. I hope there will be no more damage to my family. I want my mom and dad to be able to keep their chins up. I hope I could focus on my wife. And for those who love my music and who got hurt by this, I hope they wouldn’t be hurt anymore.

11001332.jpg

Letters from Stanford faculties confirming Tablo’s attendance into Stanford University and a transcript

submitted by Tablo showing he earned BA with distinction and MA in three and a half years. His student

number is blurred for privacy. [Kang Jung-hyun]

Aggrieved singer battles nasty cyber lynching

JoongAng Daily confirms Tablo’s Stanford education

11010836.jpg

Tablo talks with the JoongAng Daily at its newsroom yesterday.

By Kang Jung-hyun

Hip-hop was considered a genre practiced by uneducated rough-and-toughs until Korean rapper Tablo broke onto the nation’s music scene in 2003 at the age of 23. Tablo earned a bachelor’s and master’s degree from Stanford University, and chose music over other lucrative careers, a fact guaranteed to gain notice in an education-obsessed country like Korea.

That attention has now backlashed on Tablo. For reasons unknown, netizens have formed a cyber lynch squad, insisting that Tablo faked his education credentials. One online community - “We Want Tablo to Tell the Truth” - saw its membership soar from 30,000 to 40,000 in a couple of days earlier this week. “I’m the type of person who loves a conspiracy theory, so I just laughed at first,” Tablo told the JoongAng Daily yesterday in his first interview with the media after the online campaign got out of control. “I thought nobody would buy all those rumors about me because they were absurd.”

The JoongAng Daily has examined Tablo’s college records and can confirm his Stanford degrees.

The Internet witch hunt has caused Tablo and his family extreme distress, he says - made even more diabolical because he’s done nothing to cause it. “One of my family’s home addresses was leaked onto the Internet and my brother also received about 10 threat calls. ”

11010935.jpg

Tablo, a k a Daniel Seon Woong Lee, earned degrees from Stanford in 2001 and 2002.

Netizens have waged a campaign questioning the singer’s education.

During a nearly two-hour interview, Tablo sobbed when he talked about his family. Tablo, now 29, tied the knot last year with actress Kang Hye-jeong, who is famous for award-winning films such as “Oldboy” (2003) and the couple has a 6-week-old baby daughter. “I want my mom and dad to be able to keep their chins up. Since my dad’s health is not good, I worry that this might be the last major event in his life.”

In recent years, two Korean entertainers killed themselves because of malicious postings on the Web. Actress Choi Jin-sil, once called “the dream of every man,” committed suicide in October 2008 and signer Uni in January 2007. “I don’t care about restoring my public image,” Tablo said. “What I really want is that no one else is victimized as I have been by a combination of anonymity and malice [in cyberspace].”

According to Tablo’s original college transcript, he earned a Bachelor of Arts with Distinction in English on May 4, 2001 and a Master of Arts in English on April 4, 2002, through a co-terminal program, in which students study for their master’s degree before finishing their B.A. Asked what paper he wrote for his master’s, which is one of the biggest questions on the Internet, Tablo said: “I wrote about 20 to 30 pages of thesis for every subject. It’s not like publishing a paper [under the co-terminal program].”

The transcript also showed he earned 16 credits of advanced placement from high school and another 12 credits from summer classes at New York University, which let him finish the program in three and a half years.

The JoongAng Daily also contacted Stanford University and obtained letters confirming Tablo’s degrees. One is from Tobias Wolff, Stanford’s Ward W. and Priscilla B. Woods Professor of English, and the other from Thomas C. Black, associate vice provost of student affairs and university registrar at the college.

Wolff, a well-known author, wrote: “This is to certify that the records of both Stanford University and the English Department clearly demonstrate that Daniel Seon Woong Lee (pen name Daniel Armand Lee), now known as the musician Tablo, received from us both a Bachelor of Arts with Distinction, and a Master of Arts.”

June 11, 2010

Yoon Sang-hyun to release 2nd single in Japan

Reporter : Lucia Hong Editor : Jessica Kim

2010061110391009710_2.jpg

Korean actor/singer Yoon Sang-hyun [MGB Entertainment]

Korean actor and singer Yoon Sang-hyun will be releasing his second single album in Japan at the end of this month, according to his agency MGB Entertainment on Friday.

MGB announced in a press release that the single will go on sale in Japan on June 24, featuring three songs including title track "Jjikkayi" which was produced by Mori Daisuke who has worked with popular Japanese group SMAP, and the remake of 1985 Japanese hit song "Stay with Me Tonight."

Yoon will hold a fan meeting at the CC Lemon Hall in Shibuya in celebration of the release of his second single album, where the actor will high-five each one of his fans and take the stage for a mini-live concert.

Yoon made his debut in the SBS TV drama "Marrying a Millionaire" in 2005 and rose to fame last year after starring in the smash hit series "Queen of Housewives" and "My Fair Lady."

He released his first Japanese single "Saigo No Ame" in March which placed at No. 11 on the Oricon charts on the first day of going on sale.

Reporter : Lucia Hong luciahong@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

June 11, 2010

Drama 'IRIS' To Create New Hallyu Boom in Japan

The action blockbuster drama “IRIS” has been spotlighted as it has broken new ground for Hallyu in Japan.

The drama has been recorded as the first Korean drama scheduled to be aired in prime time on Japanese terrestrial TV, and the flight route between Akita and Seoul--which was about to be eliminated--has been reinstated, as the place where the drama was filmed gained popularity as well. Also, many Japanese local governments competitively wanted to support the second season of the drama “IRIS” as soon as it became known that a second season would be produced. In addition, the OST concert of the drama was a great success. In this way, the drama has created great influence a little bit at a time.

7409_1269_l.jpg

Airing in prime time on Japanese terrestrial TV and gaining eight percent of viewers’ ratings

The drama “IRIS” has been broadcast at 9 pm every Wednesday on TBS terrestrial TV beginning from April 21. It was the first time in 15 years that a foreign drama has been scheduled to air in prime time after the American drama “X Files” was aired at 8 pm on Asahi TV. As a Korean drama, it was the first splendid achievement.

The production company, Tae Won Entertainment, announced in a statement on June 10, “It is like broadcasting a Japanese drama at 9 pm on terrestrial TV in Korea. Even people in Japan regard this as the most unconventional event, and it is true that people look at with envy.”

The viewer ratings of the first episode recorded 10.1% and since then it has maintained approximately 8 percent of viewer ratings. It ranked in fourth place following the drama “Rincho” on Asahi TV, “The Best House 123” on Fuji TV, and “News Watch 9” (11.3%) on NHK. Some people in Japan think that “IRIS” falls short of expectations, but the production company explained that TBS has evaluated that the drama is putting up a good fight against Japanese programs. The drama “Prosecutor Akakabu in Kyoto,” which had been aired at the same time before “IRIS” began to be broadcast, achieved only 6.1 percent of viewer ratings on average, so TBS is satisfied with the viewer ratings of “IRIS.”

According to a spokesperson of the production company, production director Yoshino, who has taken charge of “IRIS,” said, “Production staff members of TBS are satisfied with the viewer ratings of ‘IRIS’ up to this point. In the case of American dramas, such as ‘CSI’ and ‘24,’ they were aired at night time in Japan and they only achieved less than 4 percent viewer ratings.” He continued, “Even under the condition that the drama ‘IRIS’ is dubbed and cannot fully deliver the feelings of the original drama, it has maintained 8 percent viewer ratings thanks to its various spectacles, fast-moving plot, and new interpretation of the spy action genre. The ratings prove that those factors attracted Japanese viewers.”

7409_1270_l.jpg

Breaking new viewer rating records every day at satellite channel

TBS had actually begun airing “IRIS” on its satellite channel, CS Channel, before it began airing it on a terrestrial channel. According to a spokesperson of the production company, the drama “IRIS” is breaking records every day on CS channel’s viewer ratings for the drama as it achieved 4.5 percent viewer ratings in all parts of the country and 6.8 percent in the Kansai region. The person also explained that the average viewer ratings for dramas that were broadcast on CS Channel was less than two percent.

TBS’s production director Yoshino said, “Male office workers and young viewers, who cannot watch ‘IRIS’ on the terrestrial channel at 9:00 pm, are watching the drama on a satellite channel instead. As it successfully attracted male viewers and young viewers, it is expected that ‘IRIS’ might be able to initiate the second Hallyu boom in Japan.”

7409_1271_l.jpg

Reviving the flight route between Akita and Seoul

The Japanese newspaper Asahi Shimbun reported an article on April 21 that "IRIS" contributed to reviving the flight route between Akita and Seoul.

The flight route between Akita and Seoul had begun operating from 2001 as the only international flight at Akita airport. But, the boarding rate of the flight was less than 50 percent and it was on the verge of elimination. But, thanks to the popularity of "IRIS," the number of passengers using the flight between Akita and Seoul has increased rapidly and has recorded the highest boarding rate since last November.

This January, the number of people who used the flight route between Akita and Seoul was 6,075 people and it actually doubled in number compared to the same period last year. Among 6,075 passengers, Korean tourists accounted for 4,819 people. As passengers were increased, The Korean Air even organized a special airliner with 300 seats to shuttle passengers.

“IRIS” was filmed in 22 regions of Akita, regions with heavy snowfalls during winter, to take beautiful scenery of snow. The Asahi Shimbun released an analysis by saying, “The situation in which many Korean tourists are visiting Akita is the same situation during which many female Japanese tourists visited Chuncheon in Kangwondo, where Bae Yong Joon’s 'Winter Sonata' had been filmed.”

7409_1272_l.jpg

Japanese local governments’ increased interest in supporting Korean drama production

Thanks to the above-mentioned influences of “IRIS,” Japanese local governments are rushing to show their interest in supporting Korean drama production. When the drama “IRIS Season 2 - Athena: Goddess of War” decided the filming location, six Japanese prefectures including Tottori Prefecture applied for the selection and competed for it, and the Tottori Prefecture was finally chosen as the filming location. Japanese local governments who are trying to attract tourists to their regions are considering participating in production of Korean dramas in many ways.

A representative of production company Bloom, Yoon Min Soo presented his opinion by saying, “After the drama ‘IRIS’ was filmed in Japanese tourist attraction, many Japanese production companies are highly interested in Korean dramas filming in Japan. They seem to actively review the methods to invite Korean dramas. As Korean dramas have gained huge popularity all over the Asian countries, they think that if they can successfully attract Korea dramas to film in their regions, they might be able to attract many tourists not only from Korea, but also from other Asian countries”

7409_1273_l.jpg

June 11, 2010

Kim Bum invited to TV and movie festival in Shanghai as VIP

Reporter : Lucia Hong Editor : Jessica Kim

2010061114255200777_1.jpg

Korean actor Kim Bum [King Kong Entertainment]

Korean actor Kim Bum has been invited to a TV and movie festival in Shanghai as a VIP guest, according to his agency King Kong Entertainment on Friday.

King Kong announced in a press release that the actor, who left for China today, will be attending the 16th annual Shanghai TV Festival tonight and the opening ceremony for the 13th bi-annual Shanghai International Film Festival on June 12.

"Kim Bum's popularity in China has been increasing since his role in the hit series 'Boys Over Flowers.' He has been invited to present an award during the closing ceremony for the TV fest," explained a rep from King Kong.

The rep added that Kim will also be walking the red carpet at the prestigious Shanghai International Film Festival over the weekend and will carry out various interviews with popular media outlets in the country during his stay.

The Shanghai TV Festival is a prominent awards ceremony in the Asian TV industry, acknowledging and screening the best entries in drama, movies, documentaries and animation.

The Shanghai International Film Festival, held from June 12 to 20, is one of the largest film fests in East Asia. The fest opens the world to China's film industry, filmmakers and other events.

Kim, 20, has starred in several dramas and movies since making his debut in 2006. He is well-known for his roles in "High Kick" and "Boys Over Flowers."

Reporter: Lucia Hong luciahong@ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

June 11, 2010

Kim Suna to hold fan meeting in Taiwan this weekend

Reporter : Lynn Kim Editor : Jessica Kim

2010061114575267291_1.jpg

Korean actress Kim Suna [Yedang Entertainment]

Hallyu star Kim Suna will be visiting Taiwan this weekend to host her first-ever fan meeting in the country, according to her agency Yedang Entertainment on Friday.

Yedang announced in a press release that the actress, who left for Taiwan this morning, will be carrying out various activities in the country as part of celebrating the success of her SBS TV series "City Hall."

The drama, co-starring Kim and Korean actor Cha Seung-won, reportedly scored high viewership ratings during its run in Taiwan earlier this year.

She will be attending a press conference and an autograph signing event later today, followed by a fan meeting at Taiwan International Convention Center on Saturday evening.

An official related to the local fan event explained that they had to limit the number of attendees for administrative reasons although they continue to receive inquiries from people. "I have always been thankful to my fans in Taiwan who have supported and encouraged me through my official website and fan letters," the 34-year-old actress was quoted as saying, adding that she "will do [her] best" to make the event memorable to fans.

The actress, who grew up in Japan and speaks fluent Japanese, shot to stardom throughout Asia with her comedic role in hit MBC TV series "My Name Is Kim Sam Soon"(2005).

Taking a three-year break after "Sam Soon," she returned to the small screen with "When It's At Night" (MBC, 2008) and "City Hall" (SBS, 2009), playing a low-level government employee from the countryside who eventually becomes the mayor.

Last year, she was voted "Favorite Korean Actress" in a viewers' survey conducted by Japanese cable channel LaLaTV, raking in a whopping 35 percent of votes over other Hallyu stars including Choi Ji-woo, Lee Young-ae and Song Hye-kyo.

Reporter: Lynn Kim lynn2878@ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

June 11, 2010

Lee Jun-ki to serve as celebrity military officer

Reporter : Park Kun-ouc Editor : Lynn Kim

2010061115441925987_1.jpg

Hallyu star Lee Jun-ki in a photo spread for fashion magazine W [W Korea]

Hallyu star Lee Jun-ki, who today completed basic training as part of fulfilling his two-year military duties, has been selected to work as a celebrity military officer for the remainder of his serving period.

According to Korea's Defense Media Agency on Friday, the actor was discharged from the army training camp after completing a five-week course and was be assigned to the PR unit in the agency.

"Private Lee Jun-ki is a talented actor who led a hugely successful career in film and dramas before entering the military and is adored by the public as a multi-talented entertainer," an official at the government agency was quoted as saying. "We handpicked him so that he can use his talents for various programs in the agency."

Some of the promotional activities planned for Lee include hosting military television shows and radio programs with other PR officers and visiting Korean soldiers serving at the front and rear lines of the military zone. "We expect him to do his best to boost the morale of military personnel as well as fulfill various cultural desires," the official added.

The actor appears to have turned into quite the star in the military as well; he has been chosen as one of the four officers out of some 900 soldiers to receive an award from the head of the military training camp.

Lee, best known for his role in the 2005 pic "The King and the Clown", had been shooting the film "Grand Prix" and set to appear in blockbuster TV series "Faith" when10.asiae.co.kr he was notified by the government to report to the military.

He initially tried to defer his entrance date in order to finish up the shootings, but pulled out from both projects when he was unable to do so. He entered the military on May 3.

Reporter : Park Kun-ouc kun1112@ Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved>

June 11, 2010

Fat comedian Kang turns into hottie man

20100609230919193h1_232713_0.jpg

TV show host and comedian Kang Ho-dong, 40, has astonished fans who viewed him as overweight, with photographs that show he has a well-balanced body and toned-up abs.

Two photos under the title, "Kang Ho-dong Abs" were posted on a Korean website, and within seconds, netizens reacted explosively, asking "How can Kang have such abs?"

One of the photos, reportedly taken in 2006, shows Kang in a blue swimsuit in a pool, looking a little chubby but with a balanced body and some belly fat. People derided Kang commenting that he looked muscular but, in fact was fat.

But a recent picture of Kang muted derogatory comments. This picture, which was probably taken during the shooting of the KBS show, "Happy Sunday," Kang has abs and a sturdy body under a waterfall.

This means that Kang must have worked out very hard since 2006, a netizen said.

"Now, Kang has shown the body he had during his heyday as the ssireum champion. He deserves to be called "beast man" like 2PM - the boys' idol group known for their muscles," one netizen wrote. Ssireum is Korean traditional wrestling.

Source: koreatimes.co.kr

June 11, 2010

Korean documentary 'Old Partner' wins Shanghai TV festival award

AKR20100611167200005_01_i.jpg

SEOUL, June 11 (Yonhap) -- "Old Partner," a heart-breaking South Korean documentary film about the relationship between an elderly farmer and his old cow, received second prize at the Shanghai TV Festival documentary competition Friday, the film's distributor said.

Lee Chung-ryoul's film took the Silver Award at the closing ceremony of the 16th Shanghai Festival, Seoul-based IndieStory said. Meanwhile, the Golden Award in the documentary category went to "Blood Relation" by Israeli director Noa Ben Hagai.

"Old Partner" tells the true story of an 80-year-old farmer who has lived his entire life working in the rice fields of Bonghwa, South Gyeongsang Province, without the benefit of machinery. Faithful and fatigued, his 40-year-old cow is his only help and sole friend.

The 2009 film drew 2.95 million viewers in Korea, a box office record for a documentary. It was also the first Korean documentary to be showcased in the Sundance Film Festival documentary competition section.

Source: hkim@yna.co.kr yonhapnews.co.kr

June 12, 2010

Jo Yeo-jeong Hits Box-Office Gold with Daring Part

2010061200230_1.jpg

Jo Yeo-jeong "The Servant" released on June 2 is in many ways significant for the actress Jo Yeo-jeong. It is her first box office success since her debut in 1997, having drawn more than a million spectators in just a week since its release, and it includes the first serious bed scenes of her acting career.

"The Servant" is a modern interpretation with a satirical twist of the classic Korean folktale of Chun-hyang. It tells the story of Bang-ja, the servant of a young nobleman Mong-ryong, who becomes enamoured of a traditional entertainer or gisaeng being pursued by his master.

Jo plays Chun-hyang, the object of both men's attention. In the film she falls in love with Bang-ja, although she tries to capture Mong-ryong's heart to climb up the social ladder.

The daring scenes did not disturb her much. "I don't think the level of nudity in the film was all that excessive because it depicts a secretive love that could never come out," she says. "I looked a lot prettier than I do in reality." She adds she maintains her shape with yoga and that contributes to the scenes' success.

Jo says she learned something new and felt she was being reborn as an actress. She had perfect partnership with her university senior Kim Ju-hyeok, who plays Bang-ja.

Jo feels she is only at the start of her serious career. "It seems to me that the audience just started paying attention to me as an actress," she says.

2010061200230_2.jpg

Source: englishnews@chosun.com

Archived