[News] Drama, Movies, Actors & Actresses

Guest CindyW88

April 5, 2010

Kim Hee-seon advertising for fake make-up brand "not true"

Reporter.Ko Kyoung-seok Editor.Lucia Hong

2010040515441189197_1.jpg

Korean actress Kim Hee-seon [Asia Economic Daily]

A report claiming that Korean actress Kim Hee-seon has shot an advertisement for a fake cosmetics brand in China has been found to be "not true." A media outlet had reported earlier on Monday that the actress shot an ad for China's VOV, a cosmetics brand which they stated had allegedly pirated the trademark for Korea's VOV.

VOV is considered one of the popular Korean cosmetics brand specializing in make-up, body and hair products. "Kim is the model for one of the top three cosmetics brand in China called 'LANCHEN' which has no relations to the VOV in China," an official at the actress' agency explained.

A representative from Korea VOV also confirmed that Kim is not a spokesmodel for VOV, but for LANCHEN. The actress had signed with LANCHEN last year and recently finished shooting a commercial promoting the brand.

Kim, 33, made her debut in 1993 appearing in over a dozen Korean television series and films. She is considered one of the most popular actresses in the country and last starred in the SBS' 2006 TV series "Smile Again" before she married in 2007.

Reporter : Ko Kyoung-seok kave@asiae.co.kr Editor : Lucia Hong luciahong@asiae.co.kr <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

April 6, 2010

VOV says Kim Hee-seon image being tarnished

Reporter.Lynn Kim Editor.Jessica Kim

Korean cosmetics brand VOV has issued a public statement saying actress Kim Hee-son's image is being tarnished by her endorsing a fake make-up company in China. Yesterday, both the actress's agency and VOV had denied that Kim had shot an advertisement for China's VOV but is rather a spokesmodel for a brand called LANCHEN, considered one of the top three cosmetics brands in China.

VOV issued a press release today, however, saying that a Chinese company named Yace, along with several others, had built its business by pirating the successful Korean brand and selling knockoffs of its products, eventually accumulating enough capital to establish its own cosmetics brand LANCHEN.

LANCHEN, whose mother company has no legal affiliation to the original brand, signed with Kim last year which is damaging the actress's image, Korea VOV stated.

The Korean brand further claimed that its own corporate image has been at risk as LANCHEN products are produced, sold and managed by Yace. The Korean brand, explaining that all products being sold in China under the name "VOV" is illegitimate, stressed that such unauthorized use of trademark, production and sales of its products is causing enormous financial losses to the company.

VOV ended its message by saying, "we express our regrets to actress Kim Hee-seon."

Kim, 33, has appeared in over a dozen Korean television dramas and films since her debut in 1993. The actress, who married a businessman in 2007, was last seen in the 2006 SBS TV series "Smile Again" and 2005 Hong Kong film "The Myth" alongside action star Jackie Chan.

Reporter: Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

• Replies 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

April 5, 2010

[REVIEW] TV series "Beautiful Life" - Premiere episode

Reporter.Choi Ji-Eun Editor.Lynn Kim

2010040515200804913_1.jpg

Official poster for TV series "Beautiful Life" [sBS]

"Beautiful Life" - First and second episode (SBS TV, Saturday/Sunday evenings 10 P.M.)

A family drama may be considered good depending on how many concerns and conflicts it shows existent within that family, not just because it depicts on adultery or the relationship between the mother-in-law and daughter-in-law. In that regard, the premiere episode of new TV series "Beautiful Life" by Kim Soo-hyun lived up to her reputation [as "the best writer" in Korea].

Each character in the show emerges expertly as every family member throws in a remark at an incident where mother-in-law (played by Kim Yong-lim) gets angry saying she waited 40 minutes at the airport and the daughter-in-law (played by Kim Hae-sook) is upset as she was only 14 minutes late. And the depth of Kim's insight on human nature is revealed when the adulterous husband (played by Choi Jung-hoon), who left home thirty years ago, announces that he will be moving back in, to which his wife reacts by cutting herself off from the world and resisting by not wearing her hearing aid.

More than anything, instead of dealing with the topic of gay romance as a subject of humor, her audacity in presenting a gay couple -- the oldest son Tae-sup (played by Song Chang-eui) and divorced man Kyung-soo (played by Lee Sang-woo) -- and placing their realistic issues right in the face of a weekend family drama, the most conservative genre in television, is almost exhilarating.

The viewer may also find themselves looking forward to watching how acutely the members of this heterosexual family, whom many viewers will project themselves upon, will clash over the issue surrounding character Min-jae who got divorced and remarried many years ago but still feels insecure about not being the biological mother of Tae-sup. One may actually agree or disagree to people describing writer Kim Soo-hyun as "the best writer." There are many other television drama writers who have recorded high viewership ratings. But when it comes to approaching various contemporary family issues in Korean households through the most innovative viewpoint, there is no one, in the past nor the present, who could equal this veteran 68-year-old writer.

Reporter : Choi Ji-Eun five@10asia.co.kr Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

April 5, 2010

Program Shows How to Become Gifted

By Han Sang-hee

Staff Reporter

100405_p14_program.jpg

Actress and celebrity mom Shin Ae-ra hosts the new program

"Tips to Become Gifted.'' The show that studies various Korean mothers

and their children airs every Thursday at midnight on cable channel Storyon.

/ Courtesy of Storyon

Being a mother in Korea requires many things. Not only do you have to be sure your kids get up early, eat breakfast and get ready to go to school, but you also have to check if they are keeping up with their studies. Institutes and tutors have helped such mothers in the education-driven atmosphere, but now they can tune into the program, "Tips to Become Gifted'' every Thursday night for more advice.

Hosted by actress and celebrity mom Shin Ae-ra, the show depicts five children ranging from ages seven to 11 with different personalities and backgrounds, working to become a gifted child. "I don't think starting early (to study) is good for children. The best environment we can give them is one that allows them to have fun freely. There are so many children who are great students, but then it hit me. Are they happy? From that moment, I tried to guide them to figure out what they wanted to do and to become more independent,'' Shin said during a press conference last week.

Every child is different, as is the child's mother and her method of care giving. The program picked five who may be able to represent Korean youngsters and gave them a timeline of 70 days. The children and their mothers will work with experts to examine their study patterns and personality traits so they can come up with the best way to achieve both their educational and personal goals. Instead of focusing on the definition of being "gifted,'' the show is aiming to bring out the potential that each and every child has inside. For the makers of the program, it's not about creating cookie-cutter talents, but understanding that each child is different and is capable of succeeding by doing different things.

During the first episode, the students were given a writing test and sent to individual rooms with their mothers. Not knowing that they were being filmed, the mothers showed their true personalities and styles of upbringing. One mother constantly told her son what to do, while another didn't seem to care how and what her daughter was doing. While a working mom was increasingly impatient, another, in contrast, patiently waited for her daughter to make her own decision. "This program will help mothers to discover their children's potential. I came to understand the dynamics of Korean mothers and their children through this program and now I realize what type I am,'' Shin, a mother of three, said smiling.

Along with samples of mothers and children interacting with each other, the show will offer tips and advice from experts, including a session on the Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children, and how to guide a child to become gifted.

Many viewers may wonder about the most critical question of all: Will following such advice really make children become gifted? "The program doesn't offer education tips to become gifted. We simply introduce how to bring out the potential hidden inside every child. I have faith as a director that every child is gifted. The way we define 'gifted' is the difference, that's all,'' said Kim Chang-dong, director of the program.

Source: koreatimes.co.kr

April 6, 2010

Jang Keun-suk to star in film "You're My Pet"

2010040609020703406_1.jpg

Hallyu star Jang Keun-suk [Tree J Company]

Hallyu star Jang Keun-suk will be making a comeback to the big screen in a new film titled "You're My Pet", according to his agency Tree J. Company on Tuesday.

Tree J. announced in a press release that the actor has been cast as the male lead in "Pet", playing a promising classical ballet dancer who becomes a personal pet for a professional working woman. "I wanted to play a cheerful character for my next role and I thought the film 'You're My Pet' is something that fits me incredibly well," the actor was quoted as saying about the new role. "Personally, I have high hopes for the movie because I believe I will be able to show a different side to myself through 'Pet'".

"Pet", based on a popular Japanese comic series by Yayoi Ogawa, is about a young single woman who invites a homeless man into her home to be her pet and the two gradually start to grow romantic feelings toward each other. The award-winning comic series was also made into a Japanese television drama in 2003.

Jang, 23, has appeared in several notable television dramas and films including "Beethoven Virus" (MBC, 2008) and "The Case of Itaewon Homicide" (2009). He became a phenomenon in Korea and throughout Asia after starring in the hit TV series "Minamishineyo" (SBS, 2009), in which he portrayed an eccentric lead singer of idol group A.N.JELL.

The actor, who is currently holding fan meetings in various Asian countries, is preparing to go into shoot for the film which is scheduled for local release in the second half of this year.

Reporter : Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

April 7, 2010

Kim Hye-soo in talks to make movie comeback

Reporter.Ko Kyoung-seok Editor.Lucia Hong

2010040710125999893_1.jpg

Top Korean actress Kim Hye-soo [Asia Economic Daily]

Top Korean actress Kim Hye-soo is showing prospects of returning to the big screen for the first time in two years.

Sidus FNH, the company producing the romantic comedy thriller tentatively titled "Villain on the Second Floor," said Kim has tentatively agreed to star in the film although an official contract yet to be signed.

Kim's last movie appearance was in 2008 production "Modern Boy." The production costs for "Boy" was over eight billion Korean won but flopped at the box office after attracting a mere 750,000 admissions.

Sidus also said they are in the process of casting a male lead actor in his 40s for the movie set to start filming within the first half of this year.

The film had garnered attention after being chosen to be financed at last year's Pusan Promotion Plan (PPP), held during the Pusan International Film Festival.

"Villain" will be helmed by director Son Jae-gon, famed for his production "My Scary Girl."

Kim, 40, is one of the most popular Korean actresses in the country with numerous films and dramas on her resume since her debut in 1986. Her most memorable roles include the "Faceless Beauty" and "Tazza: The High Rollers."

She made headlines early this year after revealing that she is in a romantic relationship with fellow actor Yu Hae-jin. The two had appeared together in films "Kick the Moon" and "High Rollers."

Reporter : Ko Kyoung-seok kave@asiae.co.kr Editor : Lucia Hong luciahong@asiae.co.kr <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

April 7, 2010

Rain: ‘I Have Improved Myself As I Overcome My Weakness’

"For eight years after my debut, I have become more mature while I am going through many hardships. I feel that I have finally grown up by experiencing those difficulties. The biggest hardship came from my weakness.”

Actor and singer Rain (Jung Ji Hoon, 28), who will release a special album entitled “Back to the Basics” on April 7, emphasized at a press conference held in Yeouido on April 5 that he is going back to the basics, just like the title of his new album says. He said, “To live as an entertainer, there are many occasions that I have to control myself and many things that I have to hide from others. I had hard times when I had to overcome the difficulties that came from those things, so that there were some moments that I just wanted to give up my life as an entertainer. These days, I have fallen into the habit of looking at the mirror and hypnotizing myself. I have overcome my weaknesses this way and I feel that I finally become more mature and strong through these processes.”

20100407134307472h2_134307_0.jpg

Even though he has gone back to the mental attitude that he first had at his debut, he has tried to change his music and his image in this new album. Instead of a splendid performance with dance music, Rain chose a ballad song entitled “Love Song,” which he composed, as the title song of this album. Also, he chose a photograph showing androgynous beauty with bobbed hair and eyelash extensions on the album jacket, instead of a photograph revealing his strong and masculine image, which he tended to use before on album jackets.

Rain said, "You might be surprised that the title song is a ballad. I used to sing dance music as the singer Rain, but I wanted to make a change because I thought that a singer has to show different images to the public as a matter of courtesy. At this time, I wanted to make a comeback with honest music without any decoration. I composed the title song two years ago and I actually have been raring to release this song.”

20100405182814107h2_182814_0.jpg

Rain also chose another of his own songs entitled “Hip Song” as the second single for many fans who are anticipating and looking forward to his dance performances, which have been his trademark. By releasing these two different types of songs in this album, he has a plan to entertain his fans by providing both music and dance performances.

Rain was asked about whether he felt any pressure coming from the K pop industry, which is now dominated by many Idol groups, and he answered, “I think I am right at the center of the Korean pop music industry. I have many senior singers such as Park Jin Young, Yang Hyun Seok, Shin Seung Hoon, and Kim Kun Mo above me and I also do have junior Idol groups behind me. I think that the markets are different. I have to advance to the Asian and American markets and pave the way for many excellent Idol groups to follow my way. I rather want to enjoy this time with other singers and musicians together.”

This year, he will alternately perform both as a singer and an actor. Now, he is seriously considering the right script for a possible drama role this coming autumn among several scripts, including a drama tentatively named “Runaway” written by Chun Sung Il.

20100405175649666f3_181107_0.jpg

In this way, he will actively perform in Korea and at the same time, he also plans to go on overseas tours in Asian countries, including Japan in June. He thinks that Asia is the center of the world and Korea is the very center of Asian culture. Rain has a more cautious attitude about advancing to the American pop music industry. He said, “When I visited countries in Europe, America, and Asia to promote my movie ‘Ninja Assassin,’ I realized that the world is wide and there are many things to do. Even though it was very painful for me when I had to go on a severe diet for eight months to film the movie, I could earn the new title of action star and introduce myself to many people due to those painful efforts.”

Also, he said, “I am gaining popularity as an actor in America right now, so I think that I have to release an album in America right after I establish my title as an actor when I become more popular in America. If I just release album in the American market without consideration, I would pay dearly. The American market is not a bed of roses. Success is more important than the timing. First of all, I want to establish myself in America as an actor.”

He commented about the current depressed social atmosphere due to the sinking of the combat corvette Cheonan and the late Choi Jin Young’s suicide. He expressed his concerns, “I feel sorry that there are many accidents in society. I hope that everybody tries their best to deliver good news to the families who are waiting for good news.”

Source: KBS Global / kr.news.yahoo.com

April 7, 2010

Korean films dominate local box office during Q1

Reporter.Ko Kyoung-seok Editor.Lynn Kim

2010040715304245784_1.jpg

Posters for film "Secret Reunion" (left) and "Harmony" [showbox/CJ Entertainment]

Korean films kept a strong presence on the domestic box office during the first quarter of this year despite the explosive success of "Avatar," according to data by the Korean Film Council (KOFIC).

The KOFIC's quarterly report on the local film industry, released Tuesday, reported that Korean movies accounted for 44.3 percent of market share on the local box office from January to March 2010.

Several domestic films -- including "Secret Reunion", "WOOCHI" and "Harmony" -- each drew over three million moviegoers, faring considerably well against Hollywood blockbuster "Avatar," which dominated Korean theaters for multiple weeks since its release in mid-December. The James Cameron pic clocked in over 13.3 million admissions, becoming the most-watched film in Korean box office history as well as the highest-grossing film all-time worldwide.

In January, Korean films' presence stood at 39.1 percent on the local box office while soaring to 57.2 percent the next month. The monthly figure took a slight dip in March, however, recording a figure in the mid-30 percent range due to the lack of hit domestic productions. The most-watched ten films in the country during the first quarter included five Korean movies; "Secret Reunion" (at No. 2 with 5.37 million admissions), "WOOCHI" (No. 3, 3.59 mil.), "Harmony" (No. 4, 2.99 mil.), "No Mercy" (No. 8, 1.12 mil.) and "Parallel Life" (No. 9, 0.91 mil.).

"Avatar" led foreign films in the top ten list with 8.08 million moviegoers during the same period, followed by "Alice in Wonderland" (No. 5, 2.05 mil.), "Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightning Thief" (No. 6, 1.84 mil.), "Sherlock Holmes" (No. 6, 1.05 mil.) and "Shutter Island" (No. 10, 0.79 mil.).

Reporter : Ko Kyoung-seok kave@asiae.co.kr Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

April 7, 2010

Micky Yoochun to star in TV series "Sungkyunkwan Scandal"

2010040717132422811_1.jpg

Micky Yoochun [YTREE MEDIA]

Micky Yoochun of Korean idol group TVXQ has been set to star in an upcoming television series tentatively titled "Sungkyunkwan Scandal," according to the show's promoter YTREE MEDIA on Wednesday.

YTREE announced in a press release that the pop idol has been cast in the historical drama, set in the Chosun Dynasty, to play a Confucian scholar named Lee Seon-joon who falls in love with a woman in disguise as a man. "I had so much fun reading the synopsis," the singer-turned-actor was quoted as saying. "It is an honor to play such an attractive character for my first acting role."

The singer expressed his ambitions for his solo acting debut, saying "I am actually very excited and nervous too because this is my first drama. I am going to learn a lot of things, work hard and do my best in acting." The historical drama, based on a best-selling novel by Korean writer Jeong Eun-kwol, will go into shoot early next month and air later during the year.

Micky Yoochun, whose real name is Park Yoochun, debuted in 2004 as part of five-member boy band TVXQ. The group became one of the most phenomenal K-pop acts in the country and throughout Asia, selling numerous records and recently making history in the Japanese music scene.

TVXQ has been making headlines this week for announcing over the weekend that they will no longer be working in Japan as a group and that the members will go their separate ways to pursue individual careers. The band had officially quit working as a group in Korea last July due to a legal dispute between three of its members -- Xiah Junsu, Hero Jaejoong and Micky Yoochun -- and talent agency SM Entertainment over their 13-year exclusive contract.

Micky had previously appeared in several television shows including "Banjun Theater", "Vacation" and popular sitcom "Nonstop - Season 6" (MBC, 2006).

Reporter : Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved>10.asiae.co.kr

April 7, 2010

Finding a niche in Korean films

[Herald Interview] Ever wonder why Asians films sold to the west almost always fall exclusively under genres that splash onto it screens flying swordsmen, long-haired boogey-women that crawl out of television sets or sociopaths that find devilishly creative ways to torture and maim their victims?

Aside from a few exceptions, Asian films -- particularly Korean ones -- in the drama, comedy, or romance category hardly ever make it to the big screen in North America or Europe.

Ask someone from the west which Korean films they have seen and more likely than not, Park Chan-wook’s 2003 cult classic Oldboy will without a doubt be one of the first titles to be mentioned. It was through that ultraviolent, Kafka-inspired film that the keyword in Asian cinema became Korean in recent times. As the local industry coined, it began the era of the “well-made” films -- films with bold and provocatively taboo stories that were supported by artfully crafted visual design and cinematography.

Over the past decade, ever since Korean films have snatched the spotlight from Hong Kong and Japan, various western critics and experts in Asian cinema have noted that this surge in interest has had much to do with people’s innate attraction towards the unknown and the morbid.

And anyone who has been exposed to contemporary Korean films will be first to tell you, morbid, they certainly are. One such expert in local cinema is Professor Daniel Martin of Queen’s University Belfast in Northern Ireland.

20100407000642_0.jpg

Professor Martin has been both an avid fan and an expert on Korean cinema and has become a sort of unwitting ambassador of K-cinema through his university lectures. He stopped by The Korea Herald on his recent visit here to chat about how Korean films are marketed in the U.K. and his views on Korean films needing to find a niche as the martial arts and animation genres are to Hong Kong and Japanese cinema. “It is often a complaint that Korean cinema lacks that hook of any genre to say all Koreans films are a certain way,” he said.

“Frankly, if there’s a genre that defines Korean cinema, it’s melodrama but that doesn’t get exported and I think the reason you wont see Korean comedies traveling abroad to the west anytime soon is because we have our own comedies, our own love stories.” “Asian cinema will only find an audience in the U.K. and U.S. by offering something that’s marketable as different that you cannot get from your own cinema that’s unfamiliar. It has to be exotic.”

He further adds, “For an Asian film to succeed, for it to have a market, it’s got to be promoted as offering something different.” “Usually that difference comes from a sense that the film is more exotic, its more unusual -- there’s something kind of foreign and even alien about Korean cinema. It’s presented as more violent, more immoral, more sexual, more erotic and I think it’s this kind of old ‘Orientalist’ tendency of presenting the Far East as this distant place of exotic delights and unspeakable terrors and inhuman violence that attracts attention.” “These aren’t new ideas but I think certainly they were used effectively to market a particular series of Korean films in the UK.”

Long before Park Chan-wook became one of the most talked about and celebrated filmmakers in the world when he took home the directing prize at the 2003 Cannes Film Festival, a maverick indie-filmmaker named Kim Ki-duk was already a staple around the international festival circuit. It was his ultraviolent and sexually charged misogynistic pictures that garnered him attention around the world.

Ironically, Kim has never enjoyed the same critical or box office success as Park. Kim is a polarizing figure in the local movie industry. Only a handful of fans support his films and he is generally considered an outcast among industry folk. He has gained both fandom and contempt -- particularly from women’s groups -- through films like “The Isle,” “Bad Guy,” and “Address Unknown.” In those films, rape, murder, and misogyny are depicted in such gratuitous fashion that many local critics have accused the writer and director of exploitation.

On whether Kim has found a niche for himself to stay relevant in the movie scene, Martin says “Certainly a lot of people have been quite cynical about this -- especially someone like Kim Ki-duk. Frankly I think in Korea he’s a marginal director,” and added “He has some passionate fans here and have netizens that sort of campaign for wider releases for his films, but I think he’s got more real appeal in Europe on the festival circuit.”

“The Isle,” was one such by Kim film that was notorious for its response at international festivals. Reports poured out about viewers passing out and vomiting in the middle of its screening.

Martin, however, feels such reports helped the film get sold to distributors around the world. “That is the best kind of hype for a film because everyone was so curious about it,” he said. Soon after the film’s festival run in 2000, distribution rights were quickly sold to international distributors from North America and Europe. The film subsequently had theatrical runs in 13 countries.

Controversy had proven to be an effective agent of PR when it came to Asian cinema.

Martin says the noise Kim’s film made provoked people to ask themselves, “can it really be that bad, can it really be that excessive? I have to see this film, I have to see what it is that pushed these people so far.”

So what can Korean cinema become known for other than gritty, ultraviolent thrillers? 

“For me, one of the most inescapable features of Korean films is melodrama. This is something that people have no awareness of in the west -- that Koreans melodramas exist,” he said. “To me, it’s the kind of fundamental building block on which all film narrative is built. Even a silly comedy in Korea will have some aspect of melodrama.”

He also adds that genre-blending is another aspect of local films that is exclusive to Korea, noting such critically acclaimed films like “Save the Green Planet,” and “Public Enemy.” “Contemporary Korean cinema to me is much more about genre blending than other cinemas. There’s always action slash melodrama or comedy slash melodrama and for a lot of people I think that tonal shift is hard to get around but for me its something -- I hate to generalize -- quintessentially Korean.”

By Song Woong-ki (kws@heraldm.com) koreaherald.co.kr

April 7, 2010

Bae Yong-joon visits Tokyo for hotel launching and charity

2010040722140070335_1.jpg

Actor Bae Yong-joon [KEYEAST]

Hallyu star Bae Yong-joon visited Japan for a hotel launching party and charity work this week, according to his agency KEYEAST on Wednesday.

KEYEAST said in a press release that the actor flew into Japan on Monday, although not through Tokyo Narita Airport for security reasons, to attend the opening party for the Lotte City Hotel Kinshicho, held in Tokyo the following day. At the event, Bae is said to have gifted the new hotel with a white porcelain pot made by a Korean artist, which will later be displayed at the site.

The actor then paid a visit to the Yokohama Children's Medical Center, where an intensive care unit (ICU) facility for premature newborns has been installed in his name. Since last year, the Korean star has been taken part in donating ICU facilities for infants to eight hospitals in Japan. "There is a big shortage of medical beds and physicians for premature babies around the world," the actor was quoted as saying. "I am making the donations out of hope that people will now be more aware and more supportive of the infants."

Bae, 37, shot to mega-stardom in Korea and throughout Asia with the success of 2002 KBS TV series "Winter Sonata" and gained a huge following in Japan in particular, where he earned the nickname "Yonsama". He has also been actively promoting Korean culture in Asia, publishing a photo essay titled "Discovering the Beauty of Korea" last year, which contains self-taken photographs of various cultural artisans that the actor met during his year-long travel around the country.

Reporter : Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

April 8, 2010

Social networking for the stars

07214746.jpg

Actor Park Joong-hoon / Entertainer Park Kyeong-rim / Figure skater Kim Yu-na

Living in one of the most wired countries in the world has its advantages, one of which is constant, speedy Internet access wherever and whenever you need it. In the past, Koreans have used this technology to transform the news media with citizen reporting and user-created content. Now, they are using it to reshape the entertainment industry, and stars can be made or broken based on the things their fans post to blogs and social networking sites like Twitter and its Korean equivalent, me2DAY. Celebrities are also keeping up with this trend, using the sites to give fans a window into their world or promote new projects.

Meanwhile, the release of the Apple iPhone in Korea in November seems only to have fueled the smartphone craze, giving celebrities a chance to broadcast their thoughts and feelings around the clock.

Seasoned actor Park Joong-hoon, for example, is an ardent Twitter user. Park, 44, who starred in the disaster film “Haeundae” last year, plans to share the trailer for his latest film, which will be released next month, through his Twitter site, where he has about 20,000 followers. The site has even changed the way the actor greets people. These days when he runs into someone, he often asks, “Do you use Twitter?” instead of the typical Korean greeting, “Have you eaten?”

Park posts messages to his Twitter page about 30 times per day with the help of his smartphone. By Monday afternoon, Park had already posted 19 messages. One of the messages said: “I’m shooting a new film with director Lim Kwon-taek and it’s his 101th film. I need your help and support,” with a smiley face icon at the end.

Entertainer No Hong-chul, a regular on hit TV shows such as “Infinite Challenge,” posted a message to his Twitter page last month after he broke up with singer Jang Yoon-jung that fans interpreted as a sign he was trying to get over his broken heart.

Singer Lee Juck, who is also an writer with a novel under his belt, started posting snippets of his next novel on Twitter in February. It is already attracting attention. One of his followers is Kim Soo-hyun, a writer whose soap opera scripts have won her widespread acclaim.

Most writers, however, tend to prefer blogs. Author Lee Oi-soo often uses his blog to get feedback on his writing, while fellow writer Hwang Suk-young uses his blog to post sections of his latest work. Tiger JK, a well-known rapper who emigrated to the United States when he was a teenager, says he uses Twitter to talk with his overseas fans. “A fan club was recently launched in Brazil,” he said. “I also used Twitter for an interview with a European journalist.”

Back in Korea, entertainer Park Kyeong-rim, the host of the MBC radio program “Starry Nights” who is set to host a new TV show next month, takes questions from her fans via Twitter and then uses the questions on her radio show. Park, who has connections to people in arenas from politics to sports, says Twitter helps her socialize with a wide circle of people because she just doesn’t have the time to see everyone in person.

Park says she also follows about 30 people on Twitter, including Oprah Winfrey, Korean comedienne Kim Mi-hwa and Doosan Corp. CEO Park Yong-mann. “The best thing about Twitter is that you can check the responses from your followers in real time and it also lets me post messages to all of my followers at the same time,” she said. “And recently, there was a patient in urgent need of a blood transfusion who got help from people on Twitter. They posted information about his blood type online and a match was found.”

Figure skater Kim Yu-na has about 130,000 followers on her Twitter page, and she often uses the site to share her anxieties before an upcoming competition or event. Meanwhile, Me2DAY is also popular among local celebrities because the micro-blog is accessible with an ordinary mobile phone. Up-and-coming pop singers such as G-Dragon from Big Bang, Sandara Park from 2NE1 and Cho Kwon from 2AM all have me2DAY pages. Mini homepages like the ones used on Cyworld are also popular here. Actress Kim Hee-sun and Jeong Ryeo-won frequently upload pictures to their Cyworld sites.

07214755.jpg

By Kim Sung-eui, Sung So-young [so@joongang.co.kr] l joongangdaily.joins.com

April 8, 2010

Gong Yoo and Lim Soo-jung to star in new film "First Love"

Reporter.Lim Hye-seon Editor.Lucia Hong

2010040808583758300_1.jpg

Korean actress Lim Soo-jung and actor Gong Yoo [N.O.A Entertainment]

Korean actor Gong Yoo and actress Lim Soo-jung have been slated to star in a new film tentatively titled "First Love," according to their agency N.O.A Entertainment on Thursday.

N.O.A stated that the two actors were cast to play the lead roles in the musical-turned-movie, based on a comical story of a woman who during her trip to India re-encounters her first love and tries to see him again.

Lim, appearing in a romantic comedy pic for the first time, will be taking the role of woman who meets her first love and Gong Yoo the man who helps Lim's character find her love. The original musical, which began its run in 2006, has been performed over 1,200 times on stage and is considered a hit in the local musical industry.

Lim, 30, made her debut in 1998 as a cover model for teenage magazines. She soon moved onto dramas and films, including her most notable roles in the hit KBS2 series "I'm Sorry, I Love You" (2004) and movies "Lump of Sugar" (2006) and "WOOCHI" (2009).

Gong Yoo, whose real name is Gong Ji-cheol, debuted in 2001 in KBS TV series "School 4" which was also Lim's small screen debut. He has appeared in more than a dozen dramas and films including "My Tutor Friend," "S Diary" and "She's On Duty."

He became a household name throughout Asia after his role in 2007 smash hit drama "The 1st Shop of Coffee Prince" with actress Yoon Eun-hye.

Reporter: Lim Hye-seon lhsro@asiae.co.kr Editor: Lucia Hong luciahong@asiae.co.kr <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

April 8, 2010

Lee Byung-hun warns fans his Twitter accounts are fake

Reporter.Lim Hye-seon Editor.Lynn Kim

20100407_leebyunghun_1.jpg

20100407_leebyunghun_2.jpg

Top Korean actor Lee Byung-hun has warned fans that multiple fake Twitter accounts opened up under his name are fake, according to his agency on Thursday.

BH posted a message on the actor's official website, stating that "Lee Byung-hun has never set up a Twitter account in his name." "We heard about Lee's [fake] Twitter accounts so we are informing fans that 'Lee Byung-hun does not use Twitter.' We hope fans don't get taken advantage of," BH explained.

The agency did, however, confirm that Korean director Jin Won-seok, a close friend of the actor, had written a message his own Twitter account claiming that Lee's accounts are all fake.

A Twitter account can easily be opened -- with just an email address and ID -- on the popular U.S.-based online social networking and microblogging service. Several Korean stars including actor Lee Min-ho, singer Son Dambi and pop group Girls' Generation have reportedly been taken advantage of by people who opened up accounts in their names.

Lee, 39, has long been considered one of the most successful actors in Korea with dozens of television dramas and films under his belt, most recently the KBS blockbuster TV series "IRIS" (2009). He had a particularly successful year in 2009, making his Hollywood debut in action flick "G.I. Joe" and co-starring with Josh Hartnett and Takuya Kimura in the film "I Come With The Rain."

Reporter : Lim Hye-seon lhsro@asiae.co.kr Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

April 8, 2010

Cho Min-ki to hold charity photo exhibition in Japan

Reporter.Yun Tae-hui Editor.Lynn Kim

2010040814183844834_1.jpg

Korean actor Cho Min-ki [Mentor Entertainment]

Korean actor Cho Min-ki will be making his official debut as a photographer by holding a special exhibition in Japan next month, according to his agency Mentor Entertainment.

The photo exhibition -- titled "Live A...Frica" -- will be held at Tokyo's Keumsan Gallery from May 7 thru May 29 and feature photographs taken by the actor, who has been visiting Africa for various charity projects since 2006. "I hope people will share their hearts with children who are in need in Africa through this exhibition," the actor was quoted as saying. "I hope my heart and respect toward Africa is conveyed to the world through my work."

The veteran actor and his fans had started a charity fund movement called "Together Well" on his website, raising money for well excavations in areas suffering from water shortage in Africa. In 2008, he helped dig a well in Kumi, Uganda and made headlines last year when he took actor Park Hae-jin, his co-star in TV series "East of Eden," on another well-digging project in Cote d'Ivoire in western Africa. He and Park are planning another trip to the continent after Cho wraps up his exhibition in Japan.

Cho, 44, has appeared in more than a dozen television dramas including the recent hit "Queen Seon-deok" (MBC, 2009), "Iljimae" (SBS, 2008) and "The Immortal Lee Soon-Shin" (KBS1, 2004).

His photo work is currently showing in Korea at Kookmin Bank's Yoido PB Center.

Reporter : Yun Tae-hui th20022@asiae.co.kr Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

April 8, 2010

"Strike Love" eyeing homerun with Japanese audience

Reporter.Lucia Hong Editor.Jessica Kim

2010040814112991635_1.jpg

The cast of Korean sports drama "Love Strike" [Green City Pictures]

Korean baseball drama "Strike Love" may be set at scoring big in Japan with recent indicators revealing that it is winning the race against other popular Korean dramas aired in the country, according to the show's producer Green City Pictures Inc. on Thursday.

The sports drama, aired every Thursdays at 8 p.m. on Fuji TV's CS channel starting March 18, has been the most-searched Korean show for two consecutive weeks on Fuji TV's official website. Other Korean dramas currently broadcast in the country include 2009 smash hit series "Queen Seon-duk (MBC, 2009)," "Friend, Our Legend (MBC, 2009)" and "The Land of the Wind (2008, KBS)."

"Strike Love," which originally aired in Korea in May 2009, was scheduled for a 20- episode run but was cut short by four shows after suffering from low ratings. Green City include deleted episodes as well as shooting extra scenes for the series being shown in Japan.

"Love Strike" can also be watched online an hour later after its airing every Thursday through some 150 websites distributed by the online distribution company GVIX.

"Strike" is based on a popular comic series by noted Korean artist Lee Hyun-sae. Korean actors Yoon Tae-young and Park Sung-min star as two baseball players who are in love with the same girl, played by actress Kim Min-joung.

Reporter: Lucia Hong luciahong@asiae.co.kr Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

April 8, 2010

Kim So-yeon says "Ma Hye-ri and I are very similar"

Reporter. Choi Ji-Eun Editor.Lynn Kim, Lee Ji-Hye

2010040812505400311_1.jpg

The cast of TV series "Princess Prosecutor": (from left) actors Park Shi-hoo, Choi Song-hyun,

Kim So-yeon and Han Jeong-su [sBS]

Press conference for SBS TV series "Princess Prosecutor"

On the first week of the battle amongst Wednesday andThursday evening dramas by three broadcasting networks, SBS TV series "Princess Prosecutor" came in third in viewership ratings. But the figures are not the absolute criterion of how entertaining or well-made the show is and the transformation Kim So-yeon has made -- who played a female warrior in KBS' "IRIS" and came back as an innocent prosecutor Ma Hye-ri who has no clue about working in an organization -- is a success. The comedic acting by colorful supporting characters also catches the viewers' eyes. The district attorneys in "Princess Prosecutor" -- Prosecutor Ma (played by Kim So-yeon), Prosecutor Yoon (played by Han Jeong-su), Prosecutor Jin (played by Choi Song-hyun) and lawyer Seo In-woo (played by Park Shi-hoo) -- met with reporters at the press conference, held at SBS Academy in Ilsan on April 7.

Q: How do you feel now that the first episode has aired?

Kim So-yeon (Kim): I like it because I have been really wanting to play cheerful characters but I wasn't getting many offers to, and now I can change my image. When I ask my mom, "Do you like Sun-hwa or Hye-ri?", even she doesn't hesitate to say she likes Hye-ri because of her cheerful character.

Park Shi-hoo (Park): I really like my role because Seo In-woo is a charming character you don't get to see often, so I'm having fun shooting the show. I have gotten the nickname "Mystery In-woo" and I think it suits me well because people have been telling me I have a look that makes it hard for them to figure out what I am thinking about.

Han Jeong-su (Han): I felt good even though the ratings for the first episode came in last, I mean the third [out of three Wednesday/Thursday dramas that premiered on March 31.] A lot of people called me after watching the show and told me that it was the most entertaining. And after the second episode aired, I liked that our show was the only Wednesday/Thursday drama from the three networks whose ratings went up a bit. The whole show is entertaining but Prosecutor Yoon is so cool in it. Not me, Prosecutor Yoon! (laugh)

Choi Song-hyun (Choi): People say that the show is fun to watch because it's fresh and speedy. Even I feel that Prosecutor Ma Hye-ri's unique character is expressed in a pretty and appealing way, and the color of the film looks different. The ratings went up for the second episode, so wouldn't it keep going up in the future?

2010040812505400311_2.jpg

Actress Kim So-yeon [sBS]

Q: People are responding well to the acting transformation of Kim So-yeon and some are even asking if it is your real personality.

Kim: In my opinion, my character and I are alike in over 90 percent of our ways. Sometimes I say my lines in the way I talk in real life and show my real habits in the drama like using big hand motions when I talk. My mom, dad and friends have fun watching me, saying that my character is "just like me". But when she talks to grown-ups in an immature way, that is a little different from me! (laugh)

Q: You had a pretty long hiatus since starring in MBC TV series "All About Eve". But after appearing in "IRIS", you seem to be enjoying a renaissance, playing the title role in "Princess Prosecutor."

Kim: I have always had my concerns when it comes to acting, but back then I don't think I had the ability to make myself feel comfortable. I only thought about having to be comfortable in front of the camera, but even I myself can see that I was awkward and bad. I watched a lot of work by other actors and documentaries when I was on a break, and I think I have learned to let myself go after such hard times.

Q: You wear a lot of mini-skirts in the drama -- did you go on a diet for the show?

Kim: Actually, the muscles in my thighs didn't go away easily, so it was a little burdening to wear mini-skirts at first. But I worked really hard on getting my body into shape with things like a leg massage machine, almost to the point that I was shedding tears. (laugh)

Q: I heard that you suffered a lot of little injuries during the shooting.

Kim: For the dancing scene in the first episode, I had to crawl on the floor and so the bruises on my knees lasted for quite some time. And when I recently stayed up a few nights on a hill shooting scenes for the third and fourth episode, rolling on the ground and falling and getting beat up, I was covered in dirt from head to toe and got a lot of scratches.

Han: In the third and fourth episode, there is a scene where Ma Hye-ri gets into a dangerous situation and Prosecutor Yoon comes running from afar, in his white shirt and flapping neck-tie, beating up several guys and rescuing her. I've always had action scenes in every single drama that I have worked on and it is so exhausting and painful. And I didn't feel like doing them because when you sweat in cold weather, your sweat freezes and it feels even colder. I thought I wouldn't have any actions scenes in this drama but once I did them, it felt good and familiar like I was wearing the right clothes.

Q: Your character has various characteristics -- she loves designer goods, she is immature and daring. What do you think is the most representative trait of Ma Hye-ri?

Kim: Of course, there were days when I was so into designer brands that even I called myself 'shallow and vulgar.' But I observed my niece a lot to play my character. When you ask little kids, "Am I pretty? Or not pretty?", they answer honestly, "Not pretty!" but it doesn't make them less lovable. So I thought up my character as someone who has no manners but is actually a bit clueless, like a child.

2010040812505400311_3.jpg

Actor Han Jeong-su [sBS]

Q: The dancing scene in the first episode stirred a lot of talk. Is it how you really dance, or did you dance awkwardly on purpose?

Kim: I actually tried to dance well. The script said that I was supposed to dance 'a sexy hip dance' so I was thinking about how I should do it. Then when I heard my mom laughing loudly in the living room, I came out and saw a young kid dancing to "Sonata of Temptation". I thought, "That's it" so I practiced a lot watching videos of [Korean pop singer] Ivy... I was surprised too when I saw the episode. I can't believe it came out like that! Haha.

Q: How did other people on set feel about the scene?

Choi Song-hyun (Choi): All the actors were so surprised because she showed off-the-wall charms of Ma Hye-ri so well. It is not easy for an actress to do something like that and somebody on set said, "That is either a truly masterful acting or she is dancing passionately for real." I think she did a very thorough analysis of her character.

Han: I used to dance a bit when I was in my early twenties and dreamed of becoming a dancer. (laugh) I don't dance now but I can tell if someone is dancing well or not. But when I saw that scene that day, wow, I thought.. I don't know what that is, she is either a genius dancer or a really bad one. I didn't know if she is such a good dancer that she was pretending to be bad, or if she really did her best but it came out like that. It was difficult to get my reaction shot because I was trying hard to keep from laughing. It didn't look (as bad) on the screen as it did on set, but it was really funny. But in the future, I think it would be better if she refrained from dancing.. (laugh)

Q: Choi Song-hyun, your father and sister are in the legal profession. Did they give you any advice or help you in playing a prosecutor?

Choi: My father used to be a prosecutor so I heard a lot of stories about his work, and my sister introduced me to a lot of female prosecutors around my age. I went to the district attorney's office and saw them working, like investigating suspects, and talked to them a lot. I watch the show at home with my family and my dad enjoys watching because it 's about his profession. My dad says that with the new generation, there are prosecutors who don't feel as committed to their job as the previous generation, and he likes that our drama sheds light on such aspects.

2010040813484226875_1.jpg

Actress Choi Song-hyun [sBS]

Q: Your acting seems to have improved a lot in this drama. Are you still stressed about being called the actress who used to an anchorwoman?

Choi: I think some people still feel awkward and uncomfortable about seeing Choi Song-hyun as an actress. People feel good when others tell them that they are great at what they want to do and what they are doing, and get upset when they hear they are doing a bad job. But I think that even telling someone they are bad at something comes out of their attention and affection for them. Personally, it's very flattering to receive attention but I'm worried that I might cause trouble for the director, staff and senior actors who are working hard to make a good show. But like they say, even someone who you don't like will grow on you when you keep seeing them, so I think if viewers keep seeing me on the screen as they tune in to watch the show, they might feel less uncomfortable about me. The saying that encouraged me a lot recently was that I should make an effort not to become better than others but what I was in the past. That a competition becomes great when it is not against others but yourself. I always look inferior because I am working with such excellent senior actors but I am getting better little by little.

Han: I am sorry to say this but to be honest, I had bit of a preconceived notion when I first heard that Choi Song-hyun was cast in the drama. But I was very surprised when she came to the first script reading session. She has the most prosecutor-like speech and attitude out of all the actors in "Princess Prosecutor". I hope viewers will see her from an objective perspective, if possible, just like I got rid of my preconceptions about her.

Q: Han Jeong-su, your character in "The Slave Hunters" was adored by two female characters -- the old hostess and the young one. You are also very popular in "Princess Prosecutor", receiving affection from both Prosecutor Jin and Prosecutor Ma. What do the two actresses think is the charm to Prosecutor Yoon?

Kim: I don't really know! Hahaha, I am kidding. You will see when the story develops but Ma Hye-ri has a lot of inferiority complex so I think she is strangely attracted to people who are mean or apprehensive rather someone who is nice to her. I think that is probably why Hye-ri is attracted to Prosecutor Yoon in the beginning, but the real Han Jeong-su is so different from Prosecutor Yoon! Haha, I meant that in a good way.

Choi: Prosecutor Yoon is described in the script as someone who is extremely good-looking and a very handsome person is playing the part. Plus he is a chief prosecutor who has the athletic ability and strong physique necessary in catching a criminal at a crime scene, so that is attractive too. Prosecutor Jin is someone who is very precise about her work and so I think that is why she likes him. And when Prosecutor Yoon, who is a perfectionist in front of other people, shows his less-than-perfect side in front of her, I think her mother instinct also plays a part to her being attracted to him.

Q: Then what do you think is the charm of lawyer Seo In-woo?

Kim: In-woo is like a superman-like figure to Hye-ri. I think she likes him because he always shows up when she is in trouble and takes care of things.

Han: When I first saw him, I thought he looked very attractive because he didn't have double eyelids. And I was surprised because he wasn't just good-looking but had an incredible voice too. My voice sort of sounds like I mumble, but he is a great actor, the best.

Choi: In the show, the people at the district attorney's office have a strict hierarchy, wear formal clothes and hang out in groups. But lawyer Seo In-woo looks cool because has a sixth sense, he's mysterious and has a free spirited vibe about him. And some men can't pull off fashionable wardrobe and accessories but he looks great in them.

Park: My lawyer friend actually called me and said, "We get fired if we dressed like that." (laugh) I told him Seo In-woo has a free spirit and that the drama is just a drama.

2010040813484226875_2.jpg

Actor Park Shi-hoo [sBS]

Q: Han, you had to bare some skin in his drama too, like you did in "The Slave Hunters."

Han: I was actually quite flustered that day. I walked in wearing a bathing robe but the director said it didn't seem quite right... He told me not to worry since I'd only be showing my back, so I did it, but it actually turned out looking very vulgar on TV. (laugh) And I looked too muscular for a prosecutor so I thought whether I should have just not tensed up my body for the scene. Thankfully, when I bared skin on "Hunters," there was some great huge response in one go but there wasn't much response this time.

Choi: There was subtle response from the women around me. (laugh)

Q: Might there not be more skin-baring scenes?

Han: I usually don't pass when it comes to working out but after shooting "Hunters" for eight months and then "Princess Prosecutor" simultaneously for about a month, I've been taking a break because I hadn't even had time to sleep. I do think there may be occasional moments where I will have to [bare skin] though so I think I should quickly start again. I'm terribly out of shape now so I'm embarrassed.

Park: The producer just suddenly starts taking off your clothes. I was a victim too yesterday. (laugh)

Q: Do you have any jinx when it comes to viewership ratings?

Kim: I'm actually just amazed and having so much fun about playing this role, rather than worrying about its ratings. I actually went to get a tarot card reading for the first time before taking on "IRIS." And I was told the work I take on after "IRIS" would bring huge luck to my life so I'm counting on that.

Park: She told me that story the first day we met so I told her I want to become good friends with her. (laugh)

Choi: I don't have much experience acting yet but I think we'll do well since I'm with a director and actors who have seen great ratings.

Han: I dreamt last night that our drama flopped. The scenarist said she won't be able to write anymore and the producer said in a sad face that the show will probably end early. The dream was very sad but people say what goes on in dreams are the opposite of reality so I think its signaling that it'll be a hit.

Q: Your show is still ranked third in terms of ratings in the competition against Wednesday and Thursday evening dramas aired on other broadcasters. Have you ever monitored other shows? And what do you think is the sole strength to yours?

Choi: I watched the other shows briefly and from the response it seems that they're all well-made dramas but ours is easier to focus on because it's dynamic. I also think its strength lies in that it's cheerful and lively.

Park: Our show is like an assorted gift set. It's a mix of various genres so there's a lot to see and the script is becoming increasingly interesting so I myself am looking forward to it.

Han: Most dramas emphasize on the first two episodes and then take it more easy afterwards but "Princess Prosecutor" becomes increasingly fun. If there was action in the third and fourth episodes, imagination runs wild in the fifth. The producing is great too and the imagery is beautiful. "Hunters" was shot with a Red One camera, which was a lot of work and did not expect the quality of this show to be as great, but I was very surprised after watching it on TV.

Kim: I haven't had time to look at the other shows so I've only seen previews, but my mom said she's watched all of them and said they're all fun. We're in trouble! (laugh) The fifth and sixth episode will explain why Hae-ri's personality is the way it is -- she used to weigh over 100 kilograms so she hadn't interacted much with people and has very little idea of what she's doing. We have the pattern for the special makeover ready -- it's going to be really fun. And there is so much we still have left to show. I can say confidently that the drama will be stronger toward in the end.

Reporter: Choi Ji-Eun five@10asia.co.kr Editor: Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr, Lee Ji-Hye seven@10asia.co.kr <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr / 10.asiae.co.kr

April 9, 2010

Modern mothers lose in reactionary ‘Kimchi War’

[Jainnie's Cine Korea]

08205716.jpg

Jang-eun (Kim Jeong-eun) competes with a friend to make the best kimchi

dish in “Kimchi War.” Provided by Lotte Entertainment

All the ingredients were there for “Le Grand Chef 2: Kimchi War” - capable actors, enticing subject matter - everything it needed to be an accomplished food flick along the lines of “Eat Drink Man Woman” or “Big Night.”

The film brings Korea’s favorite side dish to the forefront and fuses in themes about maternal love and family. It comes out at a very opportune time, when the government’s push to globalize Korean cuisine is at its height. But while I always found kimchi to be one of the most complex and intriguing dishes I’ve encountered, the movie was far from it.

Jang-eun (Kim Jeong-eun) is a famous fusion food chef who leaves her home in Korea for 10 years to make it big in Japan. She resents the fact that her mother was a gisaeng, a Korean courtesan, so she comes back to Korea and tries to shut down Chunhyanggak, the restaurant that her mother has run for decades. That puts Jang-eun on a collision course with childhood friend Seong-chan (Jin Gu), who was taken in by Jang-eun’s family when his deaf and mute mom could no longer take care of him.

Both Jang-eun and Seong-chan, who makes a living selling vegetables off of a van, have extraordinary cooking skills, but the battle over Chunhyanggak pits them against each other in a nationally-publicized contest to make the best kimchi dish ever - Seong-chan fighting to save the restaurant, and Jang-eun to shut it down.

The movie was written by the creator of the popular comic book series “Sikgaek,” which served as the basis for the unrelated first film, and I understand that as such, it is meant to take place in a sort of exaggerated reality. Regardless, Kimchi War’s plot gets tangled up in a retrogressive view about motherhood that left me cold and even a bit offended. Towards the end of the film, Seong-chan’s stepfather compares salt to mothers. He says that all mothers are like salt in that they silently carry out their duties and then disappear into the food - in this metaphor, referring to their children.

Though full of generalizations about motherhood, the movie never touches upon the concept of parenthood. This attitude makes it seem like a stuffy old fable, detached from the problems of the modern family. I’ve often thought of kimchi as sort of the underdog of Asian cuisine. It is an acquired taste - one that doesn’t grasp you or repel you at first, but rather taps at your taste buds over time with elaborate flavors. As a fermented veggie fan, I was truly rooting for this film.

But in the end I realized that, just like the government push to globalize Korean food (whatever that means), Kimchi War didn’t do justice to the product it was promoting, instead seeming forced and unnatural.

Le Grand Chef 2: Kimchi War Drama / Korean Coming soon to DVD

By Cho Jae-eun [jainnie@joongang.co.kr] l joongangdaily.joins.com

April 9, 2010

Bae brings life to an ‘Air Doll’

Actress won accolades in Japan for her portrayal

08210000.jpg

Korean actress Bae Doo-na plays an inflatable doll

that comes to life in the Japanese film “Air Doll,”

which was released yesterday nationwide.

Provided by CJ Entertainment

It’s not every day that an actress is asked to play an inflatable doll. And although Korean actress Bae Doo-na didn’t exactly leap at the chance, she has since found success with her role in the new film “Air Doll,” which was released yesterday at movie theaters nationwide.

The decision to play the character was a difficult one for Bae, who rose to fame with roles in critically-acclaimed films such as “Take Care of My Cat” (2001) and “Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance” (2002) and blockbusters such as “The Host” (2009).

After all, she would be playing an inflatable doll and the role would require nudity and more than a few bedroom scenes. But it was Bae’s close friend, director Park Chan-wook, well-known for his films “Oldboy” (2003) and “Thirst” (2009), who encouraged her to grab the chance.

For her performance, Bae was honored with a total of five awards in Japan, including prizes from the Japan Academy Awards and Takasaki Film Festival. The film premiered at the 62nd Cannes Film Festival last year, where Bae won rave reviews for her performance. As a testament to the film’s success, the rights to the film have since been sold to production companies in countries including the United Kingdom and France.

Bae, who started her career as a magazine cover girl in 1998 at the age of 19, speaks modestly of her success.“As an actress, I like to play surreal roles and make them real. So I was immediately attracted to this film,” the 31-year-old actress said in a recent press conference. “But I don’t think I’m entitled to receive all these awards.”

In the beginning of the film, Bae speaks, walks and blinks like a doll. But as her character Nozomi begins to develop emotions, she becomes more human than the real people around her, including the man who would rather build a relationship with an inflatable doll than with a real woman. “During production, I strived to empty myself because an inflatable doll is essentially empty inside,” Bae said. She went on to say that she is the type of actress who easily forgets her character after she finishes a film, but that this film was different. “I may sound unprofessional, but I felt drained after the film was over and I didn’t want to do anything for a while,” she said.

The film, which is based on a Japanese manga, is not the fluffy comedy it could have been but has strong philosophical underpinnings that seem to ask what it is that makes us human.“Inflatable dolls exist only when inflated by others. And our relationships are pretty much the same. We only exist when we relate to others,” said Japanese director Hirokazu Koreeda, who implored Bae to join the cast.

The Japanese director is famous outside of Japan for his 2005 hit “Nobody Knows.” Despite the language barrier, Bae says she and Koreeda made a great team. “I just want to thank Koreeda. I really relied on him whenever I didn’t know what to do. He told me not to think of the character as a doll but as a newborn baby who has just started to learn about the world.”

The film is rated for viewers 18 and older.

By Sung So-young [so@joongang.co.kr] joongangdaily.joins.com

April 9, 2010

Gong Yoo to Star in ‘Looking For Kim Jong Wook’

Film studio Soo Film made an announcement on April 8 that actor Gong Yoo (31), who was discharged from the military service last December, is making a comeback after a three year break with the movie “Looking For Kim Jong Wook.”

7344_1056_l.jpg

“Looking For Kim Jong Wook” is a romantic comedy movie which is based on the very popular same-titled musical. It tells the love story between a woman--who cannot forget her first love whom she met during a tour in India and asks the “Finding First Love Company” to look for her first love named Kim Jong Wook--and a man who tries to find Kim Jong Wook according to her request.

Gong Yoo had entered the military service in 2007 when he gained huge popularity with the MBC TV drama “The 1st Shop of Coffee Prince.” He will play a leading character, Han Ki Joon, in “Looking For Kim Jong Wook,” which will begin airing at the end of this month.

Actress Im Soo Jung has already been cast as the leading lady.

The popular musical “Looking For Kim Jong Wook” premiered in 2006 and ticket sales recorded 90 percent for every 1,200 performances since its premiere.

Source: KBS Global

April 9, 2010

Korean actress Soo-ae cast as female lead in "IRIS" sequel

Reporter.Lucia Hong Editor.Jessica Kim

2010040911022556094_3.jpg

Korean actress Soo-ae [star J Entertainment]

Korean actress Soo-ae has joined the cast of upcoming action TV series "Athena," the sequel to last year's hit blockbuster drama "IRIS," according to the show's producer Taewon Entertainment on Friday.

"Athena," named after the Greek goddess of war strategy, will be about terrorist acts and threats against the Korean Peninsula and the whole world. "Soo-ae will be playing Yoon Hae-in, the lead female character who is a double agent working for both the National Intelligence Service and as a spy for a secret organization," a producer from Taewon explained.

They added that Soo-ae was chosen for the role because of her extraordinary acting skills and ability to subtly express many emotions. The actress will start receiving martial arts training after wrapping up filming of her thriller film tentatively titled "Midnight FM."

Production for "Athena" is scheduled to begin in June in Italy and Switzerland and continue on into six other countries including Singapore and New Zealand. Taewon is aiming at showing the series during the latter half of this year.

Soo-ae made her debut in 2002 with a role in a one-act play on MBC. Her resume includes her roles on the small screen starring in "April Kiss," "Emperor of the Sea" and "Watch 9 End 2 Outs." She ventured into the big screen thereafter, starring in "A Family" (2004), "Once in a Summer" (2006) and "The Sword With No Name."

Reporter: Lucia Hong luciahong@asiae.co.kr Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

Su Ae Cast in Sequel to Hit Drama ‘IRIS’

By Chung Ah-young

Staff Reporter

100409_p16_su.jpg

Su Ae

Actress Su Ae has been cast as a heroine in the upcoming"ATHENA: Goddess of War," a spinoff of last year's blockbuster television series "IRIS," according to Taewon Entertainment.

She will play a double agent -- both a profiler for the National Anti-Terror Service (NTS) and a special spy for a secret organization. Jung Woo-sung and Cha Seung-won continue as part of the cast. Jung will take the role of a special agent, while Cha will play a leader of a terrorist group.

The actress is expected to transform her trademark pure and graceful image to play a cold-blooded spy who will perform intense action scenes in the drama. Su Ae will begin shooting right after finishing her current film, "Midnight FM."

The new series will begin filming in June, in six countries such as Italy, Switzerland, Singapore, and New Zealand, after the casting of another female protagonist soon. The highly anticipated drama will feature some of Korea's top stars and another thrilling tale of terrorism, spies and secret agents, equivalent to the original but with a new spin.

"IRIS'' scored a big success with its star-studded cast of Lee Byung-hun and Kim Tae-hee and explosive action scenes. The series escalated local drama productions to a new level.

"ATHENA'' is scheduled to be aired late this year.

Source: chungay@koreatimes.co.kr

Archived