[News] Drama, Movies, Actors & Actresses

Guest CindyW88

April 1, 2010

Nothing So Secret About 'Secret River'

By Lee Hyo-won

Staff Reporter

100401_p10_nothing.jpg

Yoon Jin-seo, right, plays the role of a woman who falls in love with her husband’s identical twin

brother (Yoo Ji-tae), in Ryu Hoon’s "The Secret River." /Courtesy of Cinergy

A young woman becomes romantically involved with identical twin brothers, and begins to doubt the rules of fortuity, chance and coincidence when it comes to love.

The premise seemed simple enough, with plenty of room to explore some classic themes. But confusion does not equal mystery. With its convoluted sequence of events and open-ended finale, Ryu Hoon’s star-studded film, “The Secret River,” feels more hollow than enigmatic. The movie tried to be hauntingly mysterious but ended up more like a messy, tangled up ball of yarn rather than a clever Rubik’s cube.

Jin-wu (Yoo Ji-tae) falls into a coma just two months after getting married. His devastated wife (Yoon Jin-seo) does her best to take care of him, but it isn’t easy; Yeon-i’s already missing deadlines and neglecting her work, and she only has footage from their wedding video to keep her spirits up. Hope and faith gradually seem like alien concepts to her.

This is when Jin-ho, Jin-wu’s twin brother, comes into the picture. As a marine biologist, he had also gotten into an accident while doing research abroad, and was unconscious for two months and unable to attend Jin-wu and Yeon-i’s wedding. Yeon-i thus had never met Jin-ho, nor did she know that the two brothers were identical twins. She is shocked to see an exact replica of her husband when she goes to pick up Jin-ho at the airport.

Jin-ho begins to sympathize with Yeon-i, whom he refuses to address properly as “hyeongsunim,” the correct title to call one’s sister-in-law. Yeon-i, on the other hand, shuns Jin-ho coldly at first but slowly begins to accept his bold advances. At this point, it is difficult to be convinced of the so-called inevitable attraction. Jin-ho seems to just be taking sexual advantage of an emotionally unstable woman.

The film immediately invites comparison to “Addiction,” which starred Lee Byung-hun as a man who is in love with his brother’s wife. Jin-ho’s resemblance with his brother in this story makes things quite convenient, since acquaintances who haven’t been told about Jin-wu’s condition assume they’re the original married couple.

Here, the twist is that Yeon-i only starts to open up to Jin-ho when she suspects that it was him, and not her husband, who had saved her from a hiking accident several years ago. She tied the knot with her “hero” Jin-wu just two months after reuniting with him. Unlike other love stories that proclaim that love is destiny, “The Secret River” questions the part fortuities play in matters of the heart.

Things, however, become complicated when Jin-wu miraculously wakes up from his coma. If having to live with a limp wasn’t bad enough, Jin-wu learns that his wife had been fooling around with his brother. In order to win back the love of his life, Jin-wu resorts to playing a game he and Jin-ho played as children and tests Yeon-i by pretending to be Jin-ho. At this point the melodrama sharply turns into a vengeance thriller, and a bad one at that, with some cheesy sound effects.

While Yoo and Yoon, both talented actors, give impressive performances, their characters act like puppets in a poorly staged play. As the brothers fight over Yeon-i, they scathingly touch upon shared identity crises twins often experience. Their manipulative role-switching game could have shed light on their deepest desires, but stops too short of providing any real character development.

Distributed by Cinergy. Now showing in theaters.

Credits: hyowlee@koreatimes.co.kr

• Replies 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

April 2, 2010

Leaving politics aside in 3-D look at naval skirmish

01213742.jpg

“Areumdaun Uri,” the upcoming film

from director Kwak Kyung-taek (“Friend”),

will depict a 2002 sea battle between North

and South Korea in 3-D. Provided by Taewon Entertainment

Most Korean war films are about the invasion from the North that began almost 60 years ago, on June 25, 1950. But, directors are beginning to realize, they don’t necessarily have to be. For example, seven years after his last film, the megahit “Taegukgi,” hit Korean cinemas, Kang Je-gyu is directing “My Way,” starring Jang Dong-gun (“Good Morning President”) as a Korean soldier held captive by the Japanese army during the occupation of Korea and forced to fight on the German side at Normandy. The epic has a budget of up to 30 billion won ($27 million), with shooting slated to start this summer.

Two other films will deal with the Second Battle of Yeonpyeong, a naval skirmish between North and South Korea that took place in the Yellow Sea in 2002 when two North Korean patrol boats crossed the Northern Limit Line sea border, facing off against the South’s Navy and later opening fire.

Director Baek Eun-hak helms “The Battle of Yeonpyeong,” while Kwak Kyung-taek, who became famous in 2002 with “Friend,” plans to shoot his effort, “Areumdaun Uri” or “We, the Beautiful,” in 3-D at a cost of 20 billion won.

The JoongAng Sunday met with Kwak at his office last month. This new movie will be his 10th work.

The battle took place during the 2002 Korea-Japan World Cup, under President Kim Dae-jung’s Sunshine Policy of aid and rapprochement with the North that continued until Lee Myung-bak’s election to the presidency in 2008. Kim was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in the aftermath of the first inter-Korean summit in 2000, but the Sunshine Policy continues to be controversial, and the new film is sure to become a lightning rod for conflict between the policy’s supporters and detractors.

Q. What made you choose the Second Battle of Yeonpyeong as the subject of your new film?

A. The death of six soldiers at the battle was heartbreaking. In fact, [the battle took place] the day my movie “Champion” was released. I was devastated to find out that the movie was a box-office failure, but hearing about the battle at 10 a.m. just broke my heart.

The same day, there was a match between Korea and Turkey at the 2002 World Cup. That’s why I produced the film “Typhoon.” I made the protagonist in that movie a friend of Yoon Young-ha, a real soldier who died in this battle. When Choi Wan, CEO of the production company IM Pictures, suggested using this battle as material for a movie, I told him that I wasn’t interested in political viewpoints on the issue but that I would want to feature the young soldiers’ hopes and dreams. On that day, several young men gave their lives for the country while others brought victory for Koreans in the World Cup match.

I want to tell the public about how all these young men had dreams, and how six of them gave their lives for those dreams, rather than trying hard to distinguish which political viewpoint on the incident is right and wrong.

Won’t some people see this movie as favorable toward the current presidential administration?

I met with the families of those who died and told them that I wanted to produce a film that could also be watched by those whose eyes teared up over the news of the death of the two former presidents Kim Dae-jung and Roh Moo-hyun. It’s not a movie that will appeal to the families’ victimized feelings. Some might feel disappointed with this, but there were others who agreed with me. It’s the viewer’s decision to see this movie as either in favor of or against the current administration. I’m going to produce what I believe.

Why 3-D?

The power of computer graphics is already widely known through movies like “Transformers.” I had an interest in 3-D films, and thanks to the movie “Avatar,” people have started realizing the charm of 3-D. When I was a university student, this new editing machine was introduced. At first, I was too scared to use it, but after I began I was surprised to find out how convenient it was. It’s always better to attempt to use new technologies earlier. The more you delay, the more you lose. After adopting CGI techniques early with my movie Typhoon, I wanted to try using 3-D in my next movie. “Areumdaun Uri” is not a film that shows off the 3-D technique, but a movie that allows viewers to notice how beautiful the technique is.

By Lee Hoo-nam [estyle@joongang.co.kr] / joongangdaily.joins.com

April 2, 2010

60 years later, filmmakers remember

01214002.jpg

Actors run from an explosion during the filming of “Into the Gunfire,” a movie about South Korean

student soldiers during the Korean War set to be released in June. Provided by EinsM&M

HAPCHEON COUNTY, South Gyeongsang - The rattle of machine guns cuts through the air as I arrive in what looks like a bombed-out city inside Hapcheon Image Theme Park. It seems frighteningly real, with hundreds of people dressed as soldiers from North and South Korea vying to control the tiny town - but in fact this is the filming location for the film “Into the Gunfire.”

The same site served as the location for the hits “Taegukgi” and “East of Eden.”

Four celebrities stand out of the fray: Cha Seung-won, dressed in a North Korean military uniform; Kim Seung-woo, who plays an officer from the South; and Kwon Sang-woo and T.O.P, a member of the Korean hip-hop group Big Bang, who were cast as student soldiers.

The film is set in August 1950, and their faces are made up to look sunburned. The movie is based on the true story of the battle between a North Korean Army unit and 71 South Korean student soldiers who defended Pohang while the South Korean Army gathered along the Nakdong River.

At a press conference held after the day’s shooting had ended, T.O.P recalled that when his involvement was announced his young fans weren’t even familiar with the Korean word for student soldier - hakdobyeong - many instead thinking it was the name of a disease. That’s evidence of just how little young people know about the Korean War, Cha said. “I hope postwar generations like me remember the tragedy by watching this movie,” he added.

The film’s director John H. Lee said, “Since setting out to work, people have asked about the politics behind the movie many times. Because it’s a student soldier story, the North Korean soldiers play the role of villains, but as far as possible, I try to treat the South Koreans, students and North Korean soldiers in a balanced way.”

Into the Gunfire, which will be released in June, has a budget of 11.3 billion won ($10 million) including marketing expenses, the biggest of any domestic Korean War film since Taegukgi. Equipment such as tanks and guns were partly supplied by the Defense Ministry. Not all Korean films made about the war are able to secure such government help.

01214033.jpg

So Ji-seob plays a South Korean soldier

in MBC’s drama “Road No. 1.” Provided by Logos Film

The producers of Taegukgi had to do without ministry support when officials demanded some scenes be changed. At the time one producer was rumored to have said the requested changes would have made Taegukgi into “The Leader of Baedal,” a propaganda film used for military recruiting in the 1970s.

Some in the industry believe the Defense Ministry has relaxed its standards since Taegukgi was released in 2004. Chung Tae-won, CEO of prominent production house EinsM&M, said, “Now the Defense Ministry knows nobody’s going to watch movies” if producers cater to their demands. On the other hand, “as making a war film costs a tremendous amount of money, getting financial help from anywhere would be very appreciated.”

Chung is also producing Into the Gunfire, which he describes as “not an anti-Communist movie, though it does deal with the true story of a fratricidal war, and marking the 60th anniversary of the Korean War, I want to show it to war veterans in the world who might visit Korea.”

To that end, a contract was signed earlier this year to distribute it in Germany, Chung said, and negotiations with a Japanese company are ongoing. EinsM&M is even considering a 3-D release overseas, though there is not enough time to convert the film to 3-D for its domestic debut.

Films about the so-called “Forgotten War” are a rarity in the United States. The most memorable are “MASH,” 1954’s “The Bridges at Toko-Ri” and the much-maligned “Inchon” (1981). In contrast, warehouses full of celluloid tales have been spun about World War II and Vietnam. But the anniversary has helped set in motion a new project called “17 Days of Winter,” produced by Hollywood startup Mad Media Entertainment. Like Into the Gunfire, 17 Days will also receive heavy logistical support from the Defense Ministry. Touted as the first war epic to be shot in 3-D, it will depict a battle between a group of U.S. Marines and the Chinese who surrounded them at the Battle of Chosin Reservoir (Changjin Lake) inside North Korea during the winter of 1950.

The force of 12,000 UN soldiers suffered casualties of more than 6,000 in the fight.

By e-mail, Mad Media told the JoongAng Ilbo that they selected the subject because it would show how the sacrifices of soldiers from across the world, including the U.S. Army, kept the Korean Peninsula free.

Not all the 60th anniversary projects aspire to uncontroversial neutrality or simply to honor the UN troops. The Korean-produced “A Little Pond” is a dramatization of the incident at No Gun Ri in which American soldiers of the 7th Cavalry Regiment killed a number of South Korean civilians. The event gained global notoriety when The Associated Press ran a series of articles alleging that a massacre had taken place based not on carelessness but U.S. military policy. The series won the Pulitzer Prize for investigative reporting in 2000.

The film has been in production for eight years, including four years of investigations and interviews with survivors, and writer and director Lee Sang-woo has emphasized his first priority is to retell the story as accurately as possible. Lee assembled an star-studded ensemble cast, including Moon Sung-geun, Moon So-ri and the late Park Kwang-jung.

A Little Pond has already provoked controversy among local expatriates, especially since later media reports revealed that some of the soldiers cited in the AP stories were not actually at the fateful bridge when the killings took place, and exaggerated orders from the military to fire upon civilians.

“As a historian of the forgotten war I’m pleased when new cinematic or literary material comes out,” said Andrew Salmon, a journalist based in Seoul and author of “To the Last Round.” But, he continued, “I’m a little saddened that a film which concentrates on the most negative side of the UN intervention is coming out at a time when the nation will be somberly commemorating the 60th anniversary of the outbreak of this great tragedy.”

Though Salmon said there were “mistakes and even atrocities” committed, he had doubts about No Gun Ri. “I seriously question based on recent evidence whether this was a deliberate massacre rather than a tragic mistake.”

The TV dramas for the anniversary promise to be less controversial. MBC’s upcoming 16-episode “Road No. 1” is now in preproduction with a budget of 13 billion won and popular actors So Ji-seob, Kim Ha-neul and Yoon Kye-sang slated to star in the drama. KBS will broadcast the 20-episode “Comrades,” a remake of a popular drama from the 1970s. Choi Soo-jong will take on the role of the squad commander played by the late Na Si-chan in the original.

But this flowering of interest in a key time in Korean history may not be simply due to the anniversary. Some in the industry instead suggest that filmgoers are only now more open to the war as a subject after being turned off by anti-Communist state propaganda in the 1960s and ’70s. Those movies, critic Heo Moon-young said wryly, “didn’t have much commercial appeal.”

By Lee Hoo-nam, Ben Applegate [bapplegate@gmail.com] via joongangdaily.joins.com

April 2, 2010

Actor Kang Ji-hwan to star in new SBS drama "Page 1"

Reporter.Lucia Hong Editor.Jessica Kim

2010040209431105598_1.jpg

Korean actor Kang Ji-hwan [Core Contents Media]

Korean actor Kang Ji-hwan has been tapped to play the male lead role in upcoming SBS drama "Page 1," according to the drama producer's Core Contents Media on Friday. "Kang was chosen because he did an impressive job in the movies 'My Girlfriend Is An Agent' and 'Rough Cut,'" Core Contents CEO Kim Kwang-soo was quoted as saying in a press release. "We also determined that the recent controversy regarding Kang and his former agency is not an issue," Kim explained, addressing an ongoing legal spat between the two parties over the actor's working contract.

This will mark Kang's comeback to the small screen for the first time in two years, where he will play the role of Lee Jin-soo, a writer who rose to stardom at an early age because of his bestsellers. Actress Park Si-yeon will also appear in the drama, playing the role of a publication house CEO who Jin-soo is in an undefinable relationship with.

"Page 1" will be helmed by director Pyo Min-su, whose other works include hit series "Full House" and "The World That They Live In." "Page 1" will go into shoot beginning early April and is set to premiere after current Monday and Tuesday drama "Oh! My Lady" ends its run.

Kang, who debuted in 2001 through the Korean version of the musical of "The Rocky Horror Show," has appeared in several TV dramas including "Be Strong, Geum-soon!" "Scandal in Old Seoul" and "Hong Gil-dong, the Hero."

He shot to stardom in Korea and throughout several countries in Asia after starring in "My Girlfriend is an Agent" alongside actress Kim Ha-neul.

Reporter : Lucia Hong luciahong@asiae.co.kr Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

April 2, 2010

[REVIEW] TV series "Sister of Cinderella" - Premiere episode

The untypical "Sister of Cinderella" - Don't stop running away

2010040211501587756_1.jpg

A scene from TV series "Sister of Cinderella" [KBS2 TV]

"Sister of Cinderella" - First episode (KBS2 TV, Wednesday/Thursday evenings 9:55 P.M.)

Eun-jo (played by Moon Geun-young) kept running and running. To get away from her mother's live-in boyfriend, who turns into a dog after drinking alcohol, and from her mother who gets a new man again and tries to take her with her. But she fails to escape every time. And Kang-sook (played by Lee Mi-sook) kept on pretending, believing that unlike all those "men like dirt," Dae-sung (played by Kim Gap-soo) who lives in a fairy tale-like house with a princess-like daughter, would be her last man in her life.

The first episode of KBS TV series "Sister of Cinderella" was a preview in itself, showing that the most intense and dramatic storyline would gush out of how Cinderella's stepmother and stepsister, who can survive through anything, will struggle to escape their unfortunate destiny. The scene where Eun-jo and Kang-sook fight in the taxi while they are running away, each going at the other fiercely, reveals their destiny exactly as it is. "You need a destination. You can't just get on a train, stupid girl, you need a place to get off!", says Kang-sook. "Anywhere! Anywhere but here is fine!", answers Eun-jo. While Kang-sook, in order to survive, was hooking up and breaking up with countless men whom she didn't even like, Eun-jo was often sexually abused by her mother's boyfriends and didn't even get to go to school.

But the show does not focus on that tragic element of the story, forcing viewers to relate to it, but rather depicts their destiny in a cheerful tone as if reading an old fairy tale book out loud. One cannot help bursting into laughter while watching Kang-sook nonchalantly seduce Dae-sung and Eun-jo's narration, which expresses how desperate of a situation she is in, sounds 'chic in an indifferent way.' The camera consistently keeps a certain distance from the characters, but on occasional moments when it goes up close and tightens its view on the character, the scene produces an unforgettable scenery. For example, the scene where Eun-jo's hair rolls down in Ki-hoon's (played by Chun Jung-myung) hand and starts blowing in the wind. Such sensational image, old landscapes of traditional houses and descriptions of untypical characters are enough to make "Sister of Cinderella" an interesting drama. As well as the end to Kang-sook and Eun-jo's fate.

- Written by Kim Sun-young (TV critic) Editor: Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

April 2, 2010

Jang Woo-hyuk offered role in Chinese action film

Reporter.Ko Kyoung-seok Editor.Lynn Kim

2010040213501741228_1.jpg

Korean singer Jang Woo-hyuk (right) and Hong Kong action star Donnie Yen

Korean singer Jang Woo-hyuk has been offered to appear in a martial arts pic by Hong Kong action star Donnie Yen, according to his agency on Friday.

The singer was approached by Yen at the China Music Award and Asian Influential Awards (CMA), held in China on March 28, where he was invited him to the premiere of Yen's film "Ip Man 2" and also asked to appear in the third installment of the martial arts movie.

An official at Jang's agency said nothing has been set as of yet for the singer other than his solo concert in China on May 8. He added, however, that the Korean pop idol is open to "taking on challenges into various realms if he has the time."

Yen, who won the "Asia's Most Influential - China" award at the CMA, is a prominent Hong Kong martial arts actor, director and film producer. He has appeared in numerous action flicks including "Hero", "Blade II" and "Once Upon A Time In China II" alongside Chinese movie star Jet Li.

Jang, 32, made his debut in 1996 as a member of the now-disbanded idol group H.O.T and embarked on his solo career in 2005. He visited China several times for his musical activities in the country after he completed Korea's mandatory two-year military service.

He was named the most influential Asian performer at the CMA last week.

Reporter : Ko Kyoung-seok kave@asiae.co.kr Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

April 2, 2010

Rain a candidate for TIME's most influential people list

Reporter.Park Kun-ouc Editor.Lucia Hong

2010040210493288658_1.jpg

Asian singer Rain a candidate for TIME's most influential people [TIME Magazine official webpage]

Asian pop artist Rain has been named a candidate for TIME magazine's prestigious 100 most influential people list, according to the publication's official webpage.

The singer is listed at number 48 among 200 leaders, artists, innovators and icons from around the world.

This is the fifth time his name has joined the list since 2006, when he was first picked as one the 100 most influential people. He then topped the survey's online polls in 2007, 2008 and 2009 but failed to make it into the actual list.

Another notable candidate is Korean figure skater Kim Yu-na, 2010 Winter Olympics gold medalist, whose name is mentioned second after Lady GaGa on the poll.

Other mentions include golfer Tiger Woods, singer Susan Boyle, President Barrack Obama and movie director James Cameron.

TIME magazine's 100 most influential people list began in 1999, recognizing people who are changing the world for better or for worse. It is categorized into five sections: Leaders & Revolutionaries, Builders & Titans, Artists & Entertainers, Scientists & Thinkers and Heroes & Icons.

Reporter : Park Kun-ouc kun1112@asiae.co.kr Editor : Lucia Hong luciahong@asiae.co.kr <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

Rain Makes It Onto the List of Candidates For TIME Top 100 Most Influential People...Again

e100402_01.jpg

TIME Magazine posted their 2010 list of 200 candidates for their annual ranking of the top 100 most influential people in the world, yesterday April 1st. Those listed range from politicians, athletes, entertainers, artists, etc. Rain was among these 200 greats, showing up at number 48 on the list.

This is not new to Rain being that it is his fifth year being nominated. He proceeded to make the final published list in 2006, but hasn't been able to accomplish the feat again since. However, the pop star did manage to make it into the top three for the online ranking of the top 100 most influential people in 2007 and 2008.

The magazine described Rain as a Korean superstar that has performed for successful world tour concerts. His roles in the Hollywood films "Speed Racing" and "Ninja Assassin" were also mentioned. The entertainer was in good company, alongside Korea's figure skating queen Kim Yuna, US President Barack Obama, US Secretary of State Hilary Clinton, US pop and style icon Lady Gaga, just to name a few.

Source: KBS Global

Rain, Kim Yu-na listed among the world's most influential people

SEOUL, April 2 (Yonhap) -- Singer and actor Rain and figure skating star Kim Yu-na have been nominated among this year's most influential people in an annual poll conducted by Time, the magazine's Web site said Friday.

The two South Korean celebrities are included in the list of 200 candidates for the "2010 Time 100 Poll," along with U.S. President Barack Obama and James Cameron, the director of smash-hit movie Avatar. The on-line survey to select the final 100 people will be carried out until May 1.

Olympic gold medalist Kim, whose name stood at third in the polls as of writing, gave one of the most impressive performances at the Vancouver Games to bring home South Korea's first figure skating gold and shatter previous world records with a score of 228.56. "Her graceful command of the ice -- her Olympic programs earned the highest scores from judges since a new scoring system was instituted in 2006 -- is single-handedly making skating the sport to watch in her golf-obsessed nation," the magazine wrote on its homepage.

Of Rain, who was once chosen as the Time 100 in 2006, Time wrote that the South Korean singer and actor is gaining a reputation in the United States with his songs and recent Hollywood blockbuster, "Ninja Assassin." "Rain has long been a phenomenon in his native South Korea, but his popularity in the U.S. is growing after a successful international concert tour in support of his latest album, Rainism, included several U.S. stops. He has crossover appeal too -- he showed his acting chops with recent roles in Speed Racer and Ninja Assassin."

The magazine also nominated Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, former U.S. President Bill Clinton and French President Nicolas Sarkozy. Oscar-winner Sandra Bullock, British singer Susan Boyle and Olympic skiing gold medalist Lindsey Vonn are included.

Credits: brk@yna.co.kr via yonhapnews.co.kr

April 2, 2010

Press conference for film "Looking for My Wife"

Reporter.Lee Ji-Hye Editor.Lucia Hong Photographer.Lee Jin-hyuk

2010040217093883249_6.jpg

From left to right: Director Lee Ha, actors Yang Ik-joon, Ji Jin-hee and Lee Moon-shik from the press conference

"Looking For My Wife" [Lee Jin-hyuk/10Asia]

Three men have come together to find the wife who left home. The three men consisting of Sung-hee (played by Ji Jin-hee) who on the outside looks fine but is actually immature, Dong-min (played by Yang Ik-joon) who has been preparing to be a director for ten years and Yoo-kwak (played by Lee Moon-shik) a short homme fatale. During a live broadcast Sung-hee announced he wanted a divorce but his wife Young-shim (played by Kim Gyu-ri) filed for divorce before him, so the mortified Sung-hee brings Dong-min to search for his wife. The men begin to follow the traces left by Young-shim but as they continue she becomes shadier. They find out that Young-shim tried to commit suicide, a pyramid seller and on top of all that her older brother Yoo-Kwak, who Sung-hee’s never heard for the past three years, appear. Yoo-Kwak who is also a four time offender in fraud has joined the group however, will they be able to find Sung-hee's wife? The movie follows the journey of these three immature men and from start to finish it is filled with laughter and armed with subtle pleasures but the last half of the film deals with some heavy themes. The film "Looking For My Wife" is set for release on April 8.

2010040217093883249_5.jpg

Korean actors Lee Moon-shik and director Lee Ha at the press conference for "Looking For My Wife" [Lee Jin-hyuk/10Asia]

10: Ji Jin-hee's name is similar to the main character Ji Sung-hee who goes looking for his wife. This marks the second time that director Lee Ha and Ji Jin-hee are working together after "Bewitching Attraction." Is there any particular reason for this?

Lee Ha (Lee): I have a lot of interest in Ji Jin-hee. I like him as an actor but also on a personal level and I am very curious about him. I think I learned a lot about Ji while working on this film with him and hope to maintain this relationship. (laugh)

Ji Jin-hee (Ji): I will only meet with you if this film is a success...(laugh) First of all, I am a fan of director Lee. I became his fan when I received the scenario for "Bewitching Attraction." I think he has an understanding that is different from others who usually only utilize the general image they have of me. That is why I felt comfortable playing the role of Sung-hee in this movie and he is actually is similar to who I am in many ways.

10: How does it feel to be the main character of a feature film where you aren't the director? It seems that you had quite a number of skin-baring scenes too. (laugh)

Yang Ik-joon (Yang): They made the atmosphere on set comfortable so I did my best. And I just like showing some skin. (laugh) My belly keeps growing bigger so I end up showing it when I'm drinking or at a restaurant. It's splendid to expose. Whether it be your psychologically or physically. What reason is there to avoid it? Don't we live our lives exposing ourselves to our significant others? (laugh) If you ask me to take my clothes off now I will do it.

10: In the end of the movie, the reason why Young-shim leaves home is revealed, but I doubt whether it was really that necessary for her to leave.

Lee: It's not that I didn't feel it was important, but it was a difficult issue. I felt that the wife leaving the house didn't connect with the storyline of the movie. I believed there was a more important story to tell so I didn't want to force it to make sense.

10: In the movie, Ji-sung goes on an angry search for his wife because she left him first despite him actually having announced he would divorce her first. How did you interpret this being a married man yourself?

Ji: Maybe it had something to do with the sense of betrayal he gets from his wife for leaving but I think there also may be some underlying incident which occured during the three years they've been married. It may be something between just the two of them, whether it be related to their pride or their problems have been piling one after another. It would have been nice to have shown everything in the film but there were more important things to show so I think that's why it may come off like that. Even when it comes to your own next door neighbor, you may think you know everything but you don't really. In Sung-hee and Young-shim's relationship, Sung-hee goes looking for Young-shim and there may be some other reason that we don't know, to why she left.

2010040217093883249_6.jpg

From left to right: Director Lee Ha, actors Yang Ik-joon, Ji Jin-hee and Lee Moon-shik from the press conference

"Looking For My Wife" [Lee Jin-hyuk/10Asia]

10: All three of the characters are all huge losers and immature. Who do you think is the biggest loser amongst the three?

Lee Moon-sik (Lee M): Just look at the way we are sitting now (from right: Ji Jin-hee, Yang Ik-joon, Lee Moon-sik) -- it shows you the evolution of mankind. I'm the caveman, next is Yang and the current human is Ji. By just comparing our looks, I think I'm the biggest loser. I think I'm one of those people who, no matter how hard I try hard to portray a casanova-like character, it'll be impossible. (laugh)

Yang: I don't think we are losers. We're all just human who want to live and love. Do you think there are any losers in this world? A movie has a beginning and an ending but there are things that are not shown i it, such as the past and how they live after the movie ends. It's great just watching how people live. We aren't losers and everyone else isn't a loser either. (laugh)

Ji: From Sung-hee's point of view, I think he could have felt that Dong-min and Yoo-kwak were losers when they first met. But when they go on the trip together, they learn many things about each other and about himself as well which makes his previous thoughts disappear.

10: Was there a point in your life where you thought you were a loser?

Lee M: I think I was a loser throughout the whole course of my life. (laugh) That is why it's hard to point out one time period. I think it'll be easier to figuring out the moment of my life that I wasn't a loser. No matter how hard I try, I am still a loser.

Yang: I thought of something when you asked the question. I was once in the bathroom taking care of some 'big business' when I realized there was no toilet paper. But I noticed there was a roll of toilet paper on the dining room table two meters away. (laugh) You probably know what happened next...

Ji: So what happened next?

Yang: I walked like a crab to grab the toilet paper...Don't other people have that experience as well? (laugh)

Ji: Don't force it upon others. (laugh) I also had the same experience and there are other ways to go about it. I think it differs with age and depending on the situation, whether you're wearing socks or not and depending on if you're wearing underwear as well. However, never in my life did I think I was a loser. Never. (laugh)

10: When we think about Ji Jin-hee, we think of a serious man. Where do you think your strength lies in particular when it comes to doing comedy?

Ji: I have always liked comedies. It's cool to be serious but I hope the audience likes this comedy. (laugh) I am also currently in MBC Monday and Tuesday historical drama "Dong Yi - Jewel in the Crown." It is helmed by director Lee Byung-hoon who is well known for "Jewel in the Palace." I'm the only actor who has ever played the leading male role for his dramas. (laugh) I am serious in that show so have fun watching it [the movie]. I think the audience will enjoy seeing my comical role after seeing my serious character and it will be fun at the same time. I think that maybe it'll help maximize my image.

10: In the movie, Sung-hee is considered a horrible person because he will say that he has never seen his wife's wrists before. Did you act differently towards your wife after filming "Wife?"

Ji: It made me want to treat her better and to get to know her more. I'm a bit embarrassed but I changed my wife's name into three hearts in my mobile phone. I asked myself if I have to do this but after filming this movie, that is how I felt. Do I really know everything about my wife? We didn't get married to get to know each other but had I not neglected her by any chance just because I'm busy? So I decided to put in a concious effort to give my wife my much more attention.

Reporter : Lee Ji-Hye seven@10asia.co.kr Editor : Lucia Hong luciahong@asiae.co.kr Photographer : Lee Jin-hyuk eleven@10asia.co.kr

<ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

April 2, 2010

[PHOTO] "Looking for My Wife" cast attends press conference

Photographer.Lee Jin-hyuk Editor.Jessica Kim

2010040216223193454_1.jpg

"Looking for My Wife" cast Ji Jin-hee, Yang Ik-joon and Lee Moon-shik [Lee Jin-hyuk/10Asia]

From left, film "Looking for My Wife" cast Ji Jin-hee, Yang Ik-joon and Lee Moon-shik goof off during a press conference held at a CJ CGV theater in Seoul, South Korea on March 31, 2010.

2010040216191772396_1.jpg

2010040216191772396_2.jpg

Actor Ji Jin-hee poses during a photo session for the press conference of film "Looking For My Wife" held at a CJ CGV theater in Seoul, South Korea on March 31, 2010.

Photographer : Lee Jin-hyuk eleven@10asia.co.kr Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr /

10.asiae.co.kr

April 2, 2010

Lee Jun Ki Appointed Ambassador for Expo 2010 Shanghai

Actor Lee Jun Ki was appointed as the Korean ambassador for the Expo 2010 Shanghai which will be held from May to October in Shanghai, China.

7336_1030_l.jpg

His agency, JG Company, announced that KOTRA, which hosts the Korean Pavilion for the Expo, has selected Lee Jun Ki as the honorary ambassador and presented the letter of appointment to Lee Jun Ki inside the Invest Korea Plaza (IKP) located in Yumgok dong, Seoul on March 31.

The agency explained about his appointment, “KOTRA has selected Lee Jun Ki because he is one of the most popular Hallyu stars in greater China. During the Expo, Lee will attend every kind of official events to advertise Korea.”

Lee Jun Ki has been actively worked as an honorary ambassador of the Korea Tourism Organization and has also participated in publishing a Korean language book entitled “Hello Korean” with no payment received.

Recently, Lee has been cast back to back in the fantasy oriental medicine drama “Faith,” which will be directed by Kim Jong Hak PD, and movie “Grand Prize,” which will be directed by Yang Yoon Ho.

April 3, 2010

Yoon Sang-hyeon Branches Out with Debut Album in Japan

2010040300250_1.jpg

Actor Yoon Sang-hyeon is now also a singer as he released his debut single album on the Sony Music label in Japan on Wednesday.

Yoon had previously showed off his vocal skills by singing for shows and TV dramas, notably on the soundtrack of TV drama "My Fair Lady." He had frequently expressed his lifelong dream of becoming a singer.

Yoon finished recording the album in December last year, and appeared in the music video of the title song. "Because it's the first album under my name, I worked on it with great passion and dedication," Yoon said from Japan where he is promoting the album. "While I'm nervous because it's a new challenge for me, I'm also thrilled by the fact that my dream has finally come true."

Source: englishnews@chosun.com

April 2, 2010

Paju lead wins best actor at Las Palmas

pajulsg.jpg

Korean actor LEE Seon-gyun picked up the best male actor award at the Las Palmas de Gran Canaria International Film Festival for his lead role in PARK Chan-ok’s Paju.The Spanish fest, which celebrates creative contemporary independent cinema, held its 11th edition March 12 – 20.

For actor LEE, the award is the first international recognition he has received, while the film continues to garner praise and prizes at film festivals around the globe. Paju picked up the NETPAC prize upon its premiere at Pusan Int’l Film Festival, opened the Int’l Film Festival Rotterdam and won a special Jury Prize at the Deauville Asian Film Festival in France.

LEE portrays an anguished man caught in a web of emotional ambiguities caused by the love he feels for his wife’s younger sister (played brilliantly by actress Seo Woo). The second feature by acclaimed female director PARK Chan-ok, Paju goes on to compete at the Tribeca Film Festival this month.

Credits: Nigel D’Sa (KOFIC)

April 2, 2010

The Good, the Bad and the Weird Receives U.S. Release

gbw_us.jpg

KIM Jee-woon's The Good, the Bad and the Weird is to finally get its U.S release. Caught up in a lawsuit, reportedly with MGM over its name, the film is due to hit American audiences April 23. The genre bending film was so successful it spawned its own genre the 'Kimchi Western' and ranked number 2 at the Korean box office in 2008, pulling in 6,719,000 admissions. The movie’s name is an homage to Sergio Leone’s Spaghetti Western The Good, the Ugly and the Bad (1996).

The genre director KIM Jee-woon has already become known as a leading film maker since the release of his first film The Quiet Family in 1998. Known for never staying in the safe confines of one genre, he has delved in such extremes as the revenge/gangster genre in A Bittersweet Life (2005), horror with A Tale of Two Sisters (2003) and comedy with the Quiet Family. The Good, the Bad and the Weird stars SONG Kang-ho, Korea's hardest working actor who recently starred in the spy thriller Secret Reunion, played in some of Korea's biggest movies such as BONG Joong-ho's The Host (2006) and also appeared in director KIM's The Quiet Family. LEE Byung-hun who appears in the film has also worked with KIM before playing the anti hero in A Bittersweet Life. LEE is currently starring in IRIS: The Movie and is fast becoming popular overseas in Japan and the U.S. The Good, the Bad and the Weird also stars JUNG Woo-sung who appeared in A Moment to Remember (2004), Mutt Boy (2003) and more recently in A Season of Good Rain (2009).

The three each play the respective good, bad and weird roles as they are taken on an action packed journey across the Manchurian desert in search of treasure. Set during the 1930's, the three not only have to compete amongst themselves, they also have the Japanese army in hot pursuit.

Credits: David Oxenbridge <KOFIC>

April 2, 2010

Finecut announces sales deals from Hong Kong

lposter71.jpg

Korean sales company Finecut announced a number of deals during Hong Kong’s Filmart (March 22 – 25) including pre-sales of upcoming big budget Korean War drama, 71 – Into the Fire to UK distributor Showbox Media.

71 – Into the Fire is directed by John H. LEE and stars KWON Sang-woo. Focusing on a 12 hour battle fought by a group of 71 soldiers, the film is slated for a June release in Korea marking the 60th anniversary of the outbreak of the war.

Finecut also sealed deals for Ounie Lecomte’s orphanage drama A Brand New Life to Joint Entertainment for Taiwan, and HONG Sang-soo comedy Like You Know It All (2008) to Thailand’s J-Bics. Finecut has also added a new title to its international sales slate, the KIM Chul-han-directed crime-thriller Outlaw, currently in local release.

Nigel D’Sa (KOFIC)

April 2, 2010

Lovers Vanished released on April 1

20100330085844945a4_090614_0.jpg

Director CHO Chang-ho's melodrama Lovers Vanished was released this week. The film stars popular actor KIM Nam-gil who lost 13 kilograms in order to play the role of an escapee prisoner with AIDs. KIM who has recently been seen in the highly successful TV drama Queen Seondeok, has already appeared in a myriad of films including Handphone (2009) and Public Enemy (2008). He has a new TV drama coming out, and will also start his compulsory military service soon.

Playing opposite KIM is HWANG WOO Seul-hye who plays a cafe owner who falls in love with the forlorn convict after taking him in. HWANG WOO herself has played in some of Korea's more prominent recent films including PARK Chan-wook's Thirst (2009), Crush and Blush (2008) and Scandal Makers (2008) which became Korea's most successful comedy ever.

Like Rough Cut (2008) director JANG Hun, who worked under the tutelage of director KIM Ki-duk (Breath 2007, Time 2006), CHO Chang-ho worked as an assistant director on director Kim’s Bad Guy (2001). The director also helmed The Peter Pan Formula (2005) and Fantastic Parasuicides (2007).

The film was released April 1.

Credits: David Oxenbridge <KOFIC>

April 5, 2010

Rain, Kim Yu-na Candidates for 100 Most Influential People List

K-pop singer Rain and Olympic figure skating champion Kim Yu-na are among 200 candidates for this year's list of the 100 most influential people in the world by Time magazine.

Rain has been on the candidates' list every year since 2006. Although he has ended up placing first or second in the online poll each year, he has appeared on the final 100 list only once, in 2006.

"Rain has long been a phenomenon in his native South Korea, but his popularity in the U.S. is growing after a successful international concert tour in support of his latest album, 'Rainism,' included several U.S. stops," Time said. "He has crossover appeal too -- he showed his acting chops with recent roles in 'Speed Racer' and 'Ninja Assassin.'"

2010040500236_0.jpg

Kim Yu-na (left) and Rain

On Kim, the magazine reported, "Kim earned South Korea's first ever Olympic figure skating medal, a gold one at that, during the Vancouver Games. Her graceful command of the ice -- her Olympic programs earned the highest scores from judges since a new scoring system was instituted in 2006 -- is single-handedly making skating the sport to watch in her golf-obsessed nation."

Film director James Cameron and pop icon Lady Gaga and are some of the other influential figures on the candidates' list this year.

Source: englishnews@chosun.com

Rain and Kim Yuna nominated for 2010 TIME 100

Actor and singer Rain (Jung Ji Hoon, 28) and “Figure Queen” Kim Yuna (20) have been nominated for Time magazine’s online poll that selects the “world's most influential 100 people” (hereafter referred to as the Time 100).

7338_1035_l.jpg

7338_1036_l.jpg

They were included among 200 preliminary nominees list that Time presented before the online poll for the Time 100. In the list of 200 announced on April 1 on the Time website, US president Barack Obama, US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, film director James Cameron, actress Sandra Bullock, pop singer Beyonce Knowles, TV host Oprah Winfrey, Canadian figure skater Joannie Rochette, and English singer Susan Boyle were included.

Time will conduct an online poll among the 200 preliminary nominees and go through an internal evaluation to select the final “Time 100” on or around May 1.

Rain has been selected as one of the Time 100 and walked on the red carpet for five years since 2006. On the online poll for the Time 100 conducted in 2007 and 2008, he ranked the first and second, respectively. Time introduced Rain on the website: “Rain is a Korean star and gaining popularity even in America after his recent successful overseas tour with his album entitled ‘Rainism.’ Also, he showed his acting ability by appearing in movies such as ‘Speed Racer’ and ‘Ninja Assassin.’”

Time also introduced Kim Yana: “Kim Yuna is the Olympic figure skating champion for the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympic. She recorded the highest score since the ISU adopted the New Judging System in 2006.”

April 5, 2010

Jang Dong-gun returns from charity work in Laos

Reporter.Ko Kyoung-seok Editor.Lynn Kim

2010040509421892372_1.jpg

Top Korean actor Jang Dong-gun [AM Entertainment]

Top Korean actor Jang Dong-gun has returned from doing charity work in Laos last week, according to his agency AM Entertainment.

AM explained that the actor spent a week in Laos shooting a promotional antipoverty documentary as a goodwill ambassador for the United Nations' World Food Programme (WFP) and returned to Korea on April 1. "Many people were worried because he was going to a remote area where it is easy to catch an epidemic," an official at AM was quoted as saying. "But Jang Dong-gun was very determined [to go]."

The Hallyu star visited local schools in Laos where he helped provide free meals for the students. He is also expected to visit Africa and Mongolia at a later date.

Jang, 38, one of Korea's top actors who has starred in numerous television dramas and movies, made headlines last November after admitting to his two-year romantic relationship with Korean actress Ko So-young. The star couple, who first met as co-stars in the 1999 film "Love Wind, Love Song," will be tying the knot in Seoul on May 2 with only family and close friends in attendance.

He is scheduled to start shooting "My Way" in June, re-uniting with his "Taegukgi" director Kang Je-gyu.

Reporter: Ko Kyoung-seok kave@asiae.co.kr Editor: Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr<ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

April 5, 2010

Ryu Si-won to turn rock singer in new Japanese album

Cho Bum-ja. Editor.Lynn Kim

2010040511071610604_1.jpg

Hallyu star Ryu Si-won (top) and Japanese record producer Tsunku [R's Company]

Korean singer and actor Ryu Si-won will be turning into a rock singer in his new album with the help of noted Japanese music producer Tsunku, according to Japanese daily newspaper Sankei Sports on Monday.

Sankei Sports explained that the Hallyu star collaborated with the famed producer for his upcoming seventh record titled "Ulala~", to be released on April 7, which includes a rock tune called "Garden of Love". "I think fans will be surprised to hear me singing this kind of song," said the actor in an interview with the Japanese press. "I may look like this but I actually like strong, masculine music. I have never sung this kind of song so that is why I chose to include it in this album."

"Love", which was penned by Tsunku, is about expressing the emotions of love between a man and a woman. The Korean entertainer, who reportedly took up rock music as a new challenge, met the Japanese musician through an acquaintance last year and invited him to one of his concerts. He seemed confident about the track, saying "I still feel embarrassed and awkward about the part where I scream 'oh~ yeah~' but you get used to it and it comes across well. I'm sure the fans will love it."

Ryu, 38, made his debut in 1994, starring in various dramas including "Secret" (2000, MBC), "Beautiful Days" (2001, SBS) and most recently "Style" (2009, SBS). He has led a particularly successful career in Japan since debuting in the country six years ago, releasing 17 albums and holding five concert tours to date. His seventh full-length album will be released on April 7. He is scheduled to kick off his Japan tour on May 10, performing in various major cities including Fukuoka, Osaka and Kobe until July 1.

Reporter: Cho Bum-ja anju1015@asiae.co.kr Editor: Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

April 5, 2010

Rain denies rumors of working with "Slave Hunters" writer

Reporter.Park Kun-ouc Editor.Lynn Kim

2010040514212393414_1.jpg

Korean singer and actor Rain [Asia Economic Daily]

Korean entertainer Rain has denied rumors that he will be collaborating with Chun Sung-il, the writer of recent hit TV series "The Slave Hunters" (KBS2).

An official at Rain's agency J. Tune Entertainment said in a phone call with Asia Economic Daily on Monday that the actor is "currently reading scripts for various dramas and nothing has been set as of yet." A media outlet had reported this morning that the Asian singing sensation had decided to appear in Chun's next television drama, tentatively titled "Fugitive," and that he is negotiating on the details of his contract.

Rain, whose real name is Jung Ji-hoon, started his career as a trainee at Korea's major talent agency JYP Entertainment in 2002. He quickly gained fame throughout Asia, releasing five albums in Korea and starring in hit televisions dramas including "Full House" and "Sang Doo! Let's Go To School". He made his Hollywood debut in 2008 thru the Wachowski Brothers' action flick "Speed Racer", which led to his star turn in the martial arts pic "Ninja Assassin" last year.

Rain recently made a comeback to the K-pop music scene with his special album "Back To The Basic", released on April 1. He had stated that he will be returning to the small screen around October.

Reporter: Park Kun-ouc kun1112@asiae.co.kr Editor: Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

April 5, 2010

Actor Park Shi-hoo opens official Japanese website

Reporter.Lim Hye-seon Editor.Lucia Hong

2010040514232610901_1.jpg

Korean actor Park Shi-hoo [Eyagi Entertainment]

Korean actor Park Shi-hoo opened his official Japanese webpage over the weekend, according to his agency Eyagi Entertainment.

A press release by Eyagi on Saturday stated that the website, open starting the previous day, is for Park's Japanese fans to receive up-to-date information on the actor's schedule. The webpage will include pictures and videos of the actor and Park posted a welcome message on the website as an opening day gift to his fans.

Park, 32, made his debut through a cameo appearance in KBS drama "Delightful Girl Choon Hyang" in 2005. He continued to appear in several dramas soon after including "Iljimae" and "Family's Honor." He also won the New Star Award at the 2007 SBS Drama Awards in 2007.

He is currently playing the role of Seo In-woo in the new Wednesday and Thursday SBS drama "Princess Prosecutor."

Reporter : Lim Hye-seon lhsro@asiae.co.kr Editor : Lucia Hong luciahong@asiae.co.kr <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

April 5, 2010

Top Japanese actors provide voice-overs for "IRIS"

Reporter.Lim Hye-seon Editor.Lynn Kim

2010040513500570788_1.jpg

Official poster for Korean blockbuster TV series "IRIS" [Taewon Entertainment]

Two of Japan's top actors are on board to provide voice-overs for the local version of Korean blockbuster drama "IRIS", according to Japanese daily newspaper Sankei Sports over the weekend.

Sankei reported Saturday that noted Japanese actors Fujiwara Tatsuya and Kuroki Meisa will lend their voices for the shows' two main characters, originally played by top Korean stars Lee Byung-hun and Kim Tae-hee.

The series, which premieres in Japan on April 21, garnered much publicity in Korea for its huge scale, global location shoots and a star-studded cast, led by Lee and including Jung Joon-ho, Kim Seung-woo, Kim So-yeon and Choi Seung-hyun, better known as T.O.P. from popular Korean idol group Big Bang.

Tatsuya, who will voice the male lead in the Japanese version of "IRIS", has starred in numerous television dramas and films, most notably the hit horror flick "Death Note" (2006).

Meisa, dubbing for Kim Tae-hee's role, is an actress, model and singer who has appeared in over a dozen TV series and movies including the Asian co-production film "Dance, Subaru!".

Reporter: Lim Hye-seon lhsro@asiae.co.kr Editor: Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

Archived