[News] Drama, Movies, Actors & Actresses

Guest CindyW88

March 30, 2010

Lee Sun-kyun wins best male actor at Las Palmas film fest

Reporter.Lucia Hong Editor.Jessica Kim

2010033012491542372_1.jpg

Movie poster of romantic drama "Paju" [Myung Film Co. Ltd]

Korean actor Lee Sun-kyun has won the award for best male actor at the Las Palmas de Gran Canaria International Film Festival held in Spain this month, according to the film's distributor Myung Film on Tuesday.

Myung quoted the judging committee as handing Lee high points for his role in "Paju," portraying the anguish he felt for loving his wife's younger sister. This is the first acclaim that Lee has received at a film festival since his debut.

The Las Palmas de Gran Canaris film festival first opened in 2000, showcasing creative and independent films competing in different categories internationally. The annual event was held from March 12 to 20 this year.

"Paju" has received both local and international recognition since its screening at the Pusan International Film Festival (PIFF) last year. The film became the first Korean production to open the International Film Festival Rotterdam (IFFR) in January and shared the Special Jury Prize with Taiwanese film "Au Revoir Taipei" at the Deauville Asian Film Festival in France earlier this month.

The pic, also starring Korean actress Seo Woo, has also been selected to compete at the Tribeca Film Festival next month -- another first by a Korean movie.

The romantic drama is directed by famed director Park Chan-ok, whose others works include "Warm Swamp" and "Jealousy is My Middle Name."

Reporter: Lucia Hong luciahong@asiae.co.kr Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

• Replies 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

March 30, 2010

Romantic comedies top TV line-up

201003300016.jpg

Starting tonight (March 31), all three major broadcast networks are revamping their Wednesday and Thursday night primetime line-ups.

KBS places its bets on the tried-and-tested melodrama, looking to reel viewers in with a young and hip cast featuring former child star Moon Geun-young, boy band 2PM member Ok Taec-yeon, "Fashion 70's" hottie Chun Jung-myung and "Tamra, the Island" heroine Seo Woo.

Opting for the feel-good value of comedy, SBS takes their series to court. In the new drama, "IRIS" actress Kim So-yeon enters the realm of slapstick as a fashion-forward rich girl-turned-prosecutor. But it is MBC that holds all the cards for this timeslot. When done wrong, rom-com can be overly saccharine. When done right, it is the perfect pick-me-up. "Personal Taste" is rom-com on a good day. Never mind the star-studded cast -- "Boys Over Flowers" heartthrob Lee Min-ho, top actress Son Ye-jin and boy band 2AM member Im Seul-ong -- the entire premise screams upbeat, funny and charming.

In this spring romance, talented yet steely architect Jin-ho (Lee Min-ho) ends up rooming with a messy tomboy of a girl, Gae-in (Son Ye-jin). Gae-in agrees to the new living situation under the mistaken belief that Jin-ho is homosexual. Therein lies the axis of comedy and stirrings of love around which the series will revolve.

The two are doomed to fall for each other, thanks to their close proximity. The gender reversal, with Gae-in as the unkempt, boyish figure and Jin-ho as the put-together, metrosexual roomie, plays on a timeless "Twelfth Night"-type plotline, minus the cross-dressing of course.

Lee Min-ho, who perfected the art of being prickly yet endearing in the hit comic book remake "Boys Over Flowers," upheld his end of the romance in the highlight reel at last week's press conference. More known for her roles as a vixen ("The Art Of Seduction" (2005)) or a demure damsel ("Summer Scent" (2003)), Son, at first glance, cut an unlikely Gae-in. The highlight reel put an end to such concerns. Her portrayal of Gae-in was spot-on. Disheveled, goofy and downright lovable, Son's Gae-in conjured up a popular slang term for single, unmarried career women: "geoneomul" (Korean for "dried fish") girl.

For those who have not heard the latest moniker, a "geoneomul" girl is someone who is great on the job, put-together and talented. But once she gets home all she wants to do is slap on a pair of sweats, pull her bangs back with a rubber band, chug beer and chew on dried strips of squid. Hence, the expression "dried fish" girl.

The popular Japanese comic book series "Hotaru no Hikari" reportedly spawned the term, painting a comedic picture of a single career girl who finds herself living with her squeaky clean boss. In 2007, the comic book series was reworked into a Japanese TV drama. When asked whether or not she drew inspiration from the heroine of "Hotaru no Hikari" for Gae-in, Son answered that the director of "Personal Taste" mentioned the drama version's heroine. "But I haven't seen it," the 28-year old actress said at the recent press conference.

Instead, Son revealed that she was sparked by another popular Japanese comic book series "Nodame Cantabile," which was made into a Japanese television drama in 2006. The original charts the escapades of the musically gifted Nodame a.k.a. Noda Megumi, who, though adept at the piano, is not adept at personal hygiene. When asked if Gae-in will be as dirty as Nodame, Son answered: "She will be severely filthy ... There will be cups of ramen rolling around." "She is very easy-going and off-the-wall ... I think she is the most comical and absurd character that I have played yet."

Co-star Lee Min-ho, on the other hand, will be playing a chic, spick-and-span architect, a role he feared might overlap with his "Boys Over Flowers" persona. "The director told me to put emphasis on the character's touchy personality so I told him I wanted to focus on other aspects since I did cranky in 'Boys Over Flowers,'" said Lee.

If MBC is going for a light-hearted gender bender rom-com, then KBS is betting on the appeal of a melodramatic twist to the classic fairytale, Cinderella. The drama proposes a different take by turning the spotlight on Cinderella's sister. Though Gregory Maguire already did it in his book "Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister," the heroine of KBS' "A Sister of Cinderella" is an entirely different sibling from Maguire's Iris.

The story revolves around the romance between a cynical stepsister Eun-jo (Moon Geun-young) and her prince, Ki-hoon (Chun Jung-myung). The Cinderella of this tale, Hyo-seon (Seo Woo), covets the same prince.

The highlight reel, however, did little to suggest that this was a new take on the beloved fable. Scowling and looking weepy in bedraggled clothes, Moon's stepsister seemed more like a modern version of Cinderella than an evil stepsister, while Seo Woo's Cinderella, beribboned and frilled, evoked the wicked sibling rather than the cinder-clad sweetheart. The addition of a faithful suitor for Eun-jo, played by 2PM member Ok Taec-yeon, furthers the sensation that the stepsister is merely a Cinderella in disguise, with a grimace and attitude to boot. If there was a bit of sugar to the original, this version, said actor Chun Jung-myung at last week's press conference, "is not a sweet and cute romance."

Sweet and cute, however, are precisely what SBS' new series, "Prosecutor Princess" is going for. "IRIS" actress Kim So-yeon plays a luxury brand-loving rich girl who embarks on a brand new career as a prosecutor.

The concept of a primped and pampered girl taking the world of law by storm is a good one. After all, "Legally Blonde" was such a success that it even spawned its own musical. But "Prosecutor Princess" is up against some stiff competition and it will be interesting to see where the cards fall tonight.

"Prosecutor Princess" airs tonight on SBS at 9:55 p.m.

"A Sister of Cinderella" airs tonight on KBS 2 TV at 9:55 p.m.

"Personal Taste" airs tonight on MBC at 9:55 p.m.

By Jean Oh (oh_jean@heraldm.com) / koreaherald.co.kr

March 30, 2010

Yoon Sang-hyun to release single album in Japan tomorrow

Reporter.Lynn Kim Editor.Jessica Kim

2010033013471072122_1.jpg

Cover of Yoon Sang-hyun's single album released in Japan [MGB Entertainment]

Korean actor Yoon Sang-hyun will be making his singing debut with a single album release in Japan tomorrow, according to his agency MGB Entertainment on Tuesday.

MGB announced in a press release that the actor will be releasing his first record titled "Saigo No Ame" in Japan through major record label Sony. "I worked on this album with passion and emotional attachment because this is my first album under my own name," the actor was quoted as saying. "I am very nervous since this is a challenge into a whole different area but I am overwhelmed to achieve a dream that has always been in a corner of my heart." The album includes remakes of famous J-pop hit "Saigo No Ame" by Japanese singer Nakanishi Yasushi and "Neverending Story," a song Yoon sang in MBC TV series "Queen of Housewives" last year, originally sung by veteran Korean singer Lee Seung-chul.

Yoon, who finished recording the album last December, also appeared in a music video for "Ame." The vocally talented actor, who drew talks of a musical debut since singing "Story" in an episode of "Housewives," has given several public performances including at "2009 PAX MUSICA" and on Japanese TV show "Hallyu! Language Joy Night".

Yoon, 37, debuted in 2005 in the SBS TV series "Marrying a Millionaire". He rose to fame last year after starring in the smash hit drama "Queen of Housewives" alongside actress Kim Nam-joo and followed it up with "My Fair Lady", which co-starred Yoon Eun-hye.

He is currently in Japan to promote his new album.

Reporter: Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.krEditor: Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

March 31, 2010

Actor Yoon Sang-hyun Achieves His Dream of Becoming a Singer In Japan

On March 31st, Actor Yoon Sang-hyun (popular for his roles in "내조의 여왕" or "Queen of Housewives"/"My Wife is a Superwoman", "아가씨를 부탁해" or "My Fair Lady", and the new season of "패밀리가 떴다" or "Family Outing") has officially achieved another dream of his by releasing a solo album in Japan.

Teaming up with major record label Sony Music, Yoon released his first single which is a remake of the hit song by Yasushi Nakanishi, titled "Saigono Ame" or "The Last Rain". Though this is his first self-titled music release, he did take part in singing for the OSTs of "My Wife is a Superwoman" and "My Fair Lady", and represented Korea at the Asian music festival PAX MUSICA 2009 held in Tokyo last November.

Yoon finished the recording of his album last December and even the music video for "Saigono Ame" in which he will be starring in as well. He's currently in Japan for promotional activities and has expressed that although he is nervous about how is album will be received, he's happy that he was able to challenge himself with a new project.

Yoon is making quite the name for himself in Japan. In addition to his voice being on the airwaves, his face can be seen on big screens along the streets of Tokyo for a chocolate advertisement. Starting in April, he'll also be seen on Japan's small screen as his two hit dramas "My Wife is a Superwoman" and "My Fair Lady" will be shown on LalaTV and an all Korean drama channel, respectively.

Source: KBS Global

March 30, 2010

Younger Men, Power, Money Fill Dramas

By Han Sang-hee

Staff Reporter

100330_p18_younger1(7).jpg

Actors Son Ye-jin and Lee Min-ho will star in the new soap "Personal Interest''

which airs tonight at 9:55 on MBC ./Courtesy of MBC

The interest in up-and-coming dramas is higher than ever in Korea as this week promises a couple of new shows aiming to catch the attention of viewers. Each boasts numerous stars and intriguing plotlines, but also seem to fall in line with recent trends found in television and society: younger men, women in power and rags-to-riches stories.

Younger Men

Women dating and marrying younger men has become a social trend here, whereas in the past the opposite configuration was more common. A total of 14.3 percent of couples who tied the knot last year lived up to this trend and it is now being featured in dramas as well.

"Personal Interest'' is one of the most anticipated new series, not only because of the star-studded cast, including Son Ye-jin and Lee Min-ho, but because the two actors seem to be the perfect fit to portray the trend. "It's my first time since my debut to work opposite a guy younger than me. I was worried how I would react since I was always the youngest on previous sets, but when I met Lee, he was very mature. I think I'll begin feeling younger as I work with him throughout the drama,'' Son said during a press conference.

Meanwhile, actress Chae Rim is also playing an older woman in the drama "Oh My Lady.'' Idol group Super Junior member Choi Si-won is the lucky man, playing a stubborn and snobbish top star, while Chae finds herself working as his agent for money. "Younger men are like a fantasy for women in their thirties. As thirty-something female viewers rise as the main audience for dramas, series depicting such couples are increasing,'' said Kim Min-sik, the producer of "Still Marry Me,'' a drama that depicted an older woman-younger man couple early this year.

"Personal Interest'' and "Oh My Lady'' air tonight at 9:55 p.m. on MBC and SBS, respectively.

Women in Power

In contrast to the past, women have become viable competitors to men looking for respectable jobs. With more women jumping into the professional scene, dramas have caught onto this trend, infusing their female characters with power. The drama "OB/GYN' depicted a successful gynecologist called upon whenever emergency emerged, while the new drama "Prosecutor Princess'' is set to present a Korean version of the hit American film "Legally Blonde.''

100330_p18_younger2.jpg

Kim So-yeon from the popular drama "IRIS'' plays prosecutor Ma Hae-ri, who is not only interested in her career but also in shopping and dating. The drama focuses on the love and life of the female prosecutor, and also the efforts of numerous students dreaming of becoming successful attorneys."If I were to become a prosecutor in real life, I would work to change laws regarding child abuse,'' Kim said during a press conference early this month.

Korea's sweetheart, Moon Geun-young, is also expected to surprise fans with her transformation through the new drama "Cinderella's Stepsister.'' The 22-year-old actress has depicted sweet and innocent characters in the past, but this time she opted for a villain. "I didn't choose the character because I wanted to change my image. I simply wanted to test how versatile I could be,'' Moon said during a press conference last week.

Moon will act as the lonely, dark character Eun-jo, and start a journey to find her true identity as she lives with her so-called Cinderella sister, Hyo-seon, played by actress Seo Woo.

"Prosecutor Princess'' and "Cinderella's Stepsister'' air tonight at 10 p.m. on SBS and KBS, respectively.

Rags to Riches

100330_p18_younger3.jpg

Dramas revolving around money have also caught viewers' attention. KBS is airing a series of dramas under the theme "noblisse oblige'' and the second installment of the series, "The Great Merchant,'' has captivated viewers not only with its strong storyline and impeccable acting, but also the main character's wisdom and prospects for making money. The drama deals with the life of female merchant and philanthropist Kim Man-deok and how she became one of the most successful merchants in the region despite her background as a gisaeng, or female entertainer.

Meanwhile, actor Ji Hyun-woo plays Choi Seok-bong in the drama "The Birth of the Rich,'' a bellboy who believes that in order to become a millionaire, you have to act like one. Funded by a commercial bank, the series not only depicts the dramatic methods characters employ to earn money, but also offers realistic investment tips for viewers.

"The Great Merchant'' airs every weekend at 9:40 p.m. on KBS, while "The Birth of the Rich'' airs every Monday and Tuesday at 9:55 p.m. on KBS.

Credits: sanghee@koreatimes.co.kr

March 30, 2010

Lee, Rain Among Candidates for MTV Awards Nominees

100330_p20_lee.jpg

Actor Lee Byung-hun of "G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra" and Rain of "Ninja Assassin" made the list of preliminary nominees for the 2010 MTV Movie Awards, according to the network's homepage.

Lee made the list of candidates for nominees for "Best Fight" category. Among other candidates are Huge Jackman, Jude Law and Chris Pine.

Rain was also on the list of candidates for nominees of "Best richard simmons Kicking Star."Other top Hollywood stars in the list include Brad Pitt, Bruce Willis and Sam Worthington.

The MTV Awards will select nominees after collecting online votes from their fans. Viewers can log on to movieawards.mtv.com and submit their choice nominees in 13 categories. Submissions will be accepted until April 9. The 19th annual awards will be presented June 6.

Credits: chojh@koreatimes.co.kr

March 31, 2010

Rain, Lee Byung-hun in nominee voting for MTV awards

2010033109542136338_3.jpg

Asian pop sensation Rain (left) and actor Lee Byung-hun. [Chae Ki-won, Lee Jin-hyuk/10Asia]

Top Korean actors Lee Byung-hun and Rain have been listed in a fan vote deciding nominees for the 2010 MTV Movie Awards, according to MTV's official website.

In a poll selecting the nominations for the awards ceremony, to be held June 6 in Los Angeles, Rain has been named as a potential nominee in the "Best richard simmons Kicking Star" category for his leading role in martial arts pic "Ninja Assassin". He will be competing against a handful of Hollywood A-listers -- including Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt, Jackie Chan, Matt Damon and Tom Cruise -- for the title.

Lee was included in the preliminary round of nominations for "Best Fight" for his fight scene with Ray Park in action flick "G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra". Other mentions in the category included Beyonce Knowles and Ali Larter from "Obsessed," Hugh Jackman and Liev Schreiber from "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" and Robert Downey Jr. and Mark Strong from "Sherlock Holmes."

The official nominees selection will be made by fans, who will cast votes on MTV's website until April 9.

Lee, 39, has long been considered one of the most successful actors in Korea with dozens of television drama and film appearances under his belt. He had a particularly successful year in 2009, making his Hollywood debut in action flick "G.I. Joe" and co-starring with Josh Hartnett and Takuya Kimura in "I Come With The Rain."

Rain, whose real name is Jung Ji-hoon, gained fame throughout Asia as a singer and actor after releasing five albums in Korea and starring in several hit televisions dramas. He made his Hollywood debut in 2008 thru the Wachowski Brothers' action flick "Speed Racer", which led to his star turn in "Ninja Assassin" last year.

Reporter: Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

March 30, 2010

2010033000354_0.jpg

2010033000354_1.jpg

2010033000354_2.jpg

Actress Lee Soo-kyung walks the catwalk at an Andre Kim fashion show in Beijing, China on Monday.

Source: englishnews@chosun.com

Andre Kim Holds Fashion Show in Beijing

2010033000692_0.jpg

Actors Lee Soo-kyung (left) and Chung Gyeo-woon

Renowned Korean fashion designer Andre Kim showcased his 2011 spring/summer collection in Beijing, China, on Monday. More than 400 people gathered at the Beijing New China International Exhibition Center to witness the mystical and whimsical creations of Korea's top designer. Inspired by China's rich history and grandiose style, his latest collection was filled with elements reminiscent of China's traditional culture.

Using silk, Kim attempted to juxtapose traditional Chinese attire with modern day designs and colors while still keeping true to his signature style. The 76-year-old eccentric designer tried to incorporate a wide range of concepts into his garments, ranging from futuristic themes to Renaissance-inspired designs and traditional Korean patterns. Pastel colors of pink, blue and yellow appeared to be the most prominent this season, and the textiles included tweed and silk.

Kim is widely known in Korea for his flamboyant works and his dedication to promoting Korean culture through fashion, and it turns out he has a strong fan base in China as well. Audience members said his clothes are in demand in China because more Chinese women now enjoy the party scene.

Source: Arirang News / english.chosun.com

March 31, 2010

Police: Choi depressed before suicide

‘Choi was frustrated because he wasn’t working in local TV shows and felt things weren’t working out.’

Choi Jin-young suffered from depression after the suicide of his sister, actress Choi Jin-sil, and hanged himself with an electrical cord, police confirmed yesterday.

Gangnam police investigators said the actor and former pop star had refused his mother’s pleas that he see a doctor, instead relying on nonprescription tranquilizers he bought from a pharmacy. “Choi was frustrated because he wasn’t working in local TV shows these days and he felt things weren’t working out as he’d planned,” Kwak Jeong-ki, the investigator in charge of the case, said at a press briefing. “He’d been staying at home and keeping to himself lately, even though he had regularly seen his friends before.”

Kwak said that Choi, 39, had told his family he was under stress and had suffered horrendous headaches six months ago, and that everything tired him. After enrolling in theater and cinema studies at Seoul’s Hanyang University in 2009, he attended only the first day of classes in this year’s spring semester. His close friends and aides also told investigators that Choi had previously attempted suicide several times after his sister’s death in 2008. Choi Jin-sil killed herself after reportedly being distressed by Internet rumors that linked her to the suicide of actor Ahn Jae-hwan.

Kwak said Choi Jin-young is believed to have died between 1 p.m. and 2:14 p.m. on Monday, but they will not ask for an autopsy according to his family’s wish because there were no wounds on his body or evidence of a break-in to his apartment. The official cause of death was asphyxia due to pressure on the neck. Choi’s mother and a college friend found his body hanging from the attic of his apartment shortly after the friend, a 22-year-old woman surnamed Jeong, telephoned his mother to say that he wouldn’t talk to her on the phone after a few rambling words at 10 a.m.

The two women met at a coffee shop near Choi’s apartment and went to check on him. They found him dead and immediately called for help. CPR was attempted but Choi was pronounced dead on arrival at Gangnam Severance Hospital in southern Seoul at 2:46 p.m. His funeral procession will start at 8 a.m. today and he will be buried in Gapsan Park in Yangpyeong, Gyeonggi, where his sister is buried.

Choi made his debut as a television commercial model in 1987 and started his acting career three years later. He rose to stardom in 1993 with the popular TV show “Our Heaven.” After completing military service, he began a singer career under the name “SKY.” His first single, “Forever,” topped music charts in 1999.

By Kim Mi-ju [mijukim@joongang.co.kr] / joongangdaily.joins.com

March 31, 2010

Lee Seung-gi Chosen as Face of Lottery

2010033100391_0.jpg

Lee Seung-gi

Actor and singer Lee Seung-gi has been picked to promote the national lottery, the Lottery Commission said Tuesday. He was chosen for his pure and innocent image as well as his popularity among both the younger generation and the middle-aged.

Cheil Worldwide handled the selection process at the request of the Ministry of Strategy and Finance, which oversees the Lottery Commission.

Lee succeeds last year's lottery promotional ambassador, actress Park Bo-young. He will appear in advertisements and do volunteer work at facilities for the needy to promote the fact that revenues from the lottery are used for social programs.

March 31, 2010

Late Choi Jin Young Planned to Be Singer and Actor

"He said that he would work as both a singer and actor,” the late Choi Jin Young’s agency, Mcloud Entertainment, said in a statement on March 30 regarding what the entertainer had said before his death. The company spokesman spoke as if Choi's death was still unbelievable even after a day had passed since he died.

27259719.3.jpg

The director of the agency, Kim Jin Soo, talked on the phone with Yonhap News and said, “Choi Jin Young signed an agreement with our agency on January 1, and the agreement included conditions that he would become a 'multiplayer,' which is industry parlance for an actor and a singer.”

He continued, “Any specific work had not yet been decided, but there were some offers from dramas, movies, and musicals, and we were discussing it. Even though he agonized over a role because he did not like it, it is not true that he did not receive any work offers.”

He added, “Whenever we were talking about work, he was serious and showed enthusiasm, so I could not imagine that he would create a disturbance by attempting suicide last year, and by actually committing suicide like this. Rather, he seemed to be preparing to start working, as he had said that he would try hard to be a good actor and had even made an appointment to see a dentist before he start working.”

The late actor’s mother has collapsed from the shock and now lies in a bed prepared in a room immediately beside the mortuary while receiving an IV injection. The late Choi Jin Sil’s best friend, Lee Young Ja, is looking after her. Choi's uncle and a nephew surnamed Choi have been named chief mourners.

On March 29, many visitors, such as Cha Tae Hyun, Hong Kyung Min, Lee Hwee Jae, Kim Jong Kook, Youn Yoo Sun, Kim Hyo Jin, and Kim Jung Min, came to offer their condolences.

Kim announced that no will has been found yet and that the late actor would be cremated on March 31 in a crematorium in Sung Nam and then placed in the same charnel house where his sister Choi Jin Sil was placed in Gabsan Park Tombs in Yangpyung-gun, Geonggi-do.

March 31, 2010

[PHOTO] "Into the Fire" cast, director take a break on set

Photographer.Lee Jin-hyuk

2010033117451569989_1.jpg

Male cast of film "Into the Fire" [Lee Jin-hyuk/10Asia]

From left, film "Into the Fire" cast Kwon Sang-woo, Kim Seung-woo, Cha Seung-won and T.O.P. take a break on the set of film "Into the Fire" on its set at Hapcheon Image Theme Park in the South Gyeongsang Province of South Korea on March 19, 2010.

2010033117451569989_2.jpg

Male cast and director of film "Into the Fire" [Lee Jin-hyuk/10Asia]

From left, actors Cha Seung-won, Kwon Sang-woo, director Lee Jae-han and actor Kim Seung-woo share a laugh on the set of film "Into the Fire" at Hapcheon Image Theme Park in the South Gyeongsang Province of South Korea on March 19, 2010.

2010033117423258944_1.jpg

2010033117423258944_2.jpg

Big Bang member T.O.P. and actor Kwon Sang-woo [Lee Jin-hyuk/10Asia]

2010033117401236445_2.jpg

2010033117401236445_1.jpg

Actor Kwon Sang-woo [Lee Jin-hyuk/10Asia]

Actor Kwon Sang-woo takes part in a shoot for film "Into the Fire" on its set at Hapcheon Image Theme Park in the South Gyeongsang Province of South Korea on March 19, 2010.

2010033117370719406_2.jpg

2010033117370719406_1.jpg

Model and actor Cha Seung-won (in white uniform) [Lee Jin-hyuk/10Asia]

Model and actor Cha Seung-won takes a break on the set of film "Into the Fire" at Hapcheon Image Theme Park in the South Gyeongsang Province of South Korea on March 19, 2010.

2010033117294484689_1.jpg

Big Bang member T.O.P. [Lee Jin-hyuk/10Asia]

2010033117294484689_2.jpg

Big Bang member T.O.P. jokingly offers a fake grenade to reporters on the set for film "Into the Fire" at Hapcheon Image Theme Park in the South Gyeongsang Province of South Korea on March 19, 2010.

Photographer: Lee Jin-hyuk eleven@10asia.co.kr Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr

<ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr 1 / 2 / 3 / 4

March 31, 2010

"Princess Prosecutor" receiving attention from Japanese media

2010033114134181883_1.jpg

Official poster for TV series "Princess Prosecutor" [sBS]

New SBS TV series "Princess Prosecutor" is stirring Japan prior to its showing on Korea's small screen, according to a press release by the show's broadcaster on Wednesday.

Producers of "Prosecutor" explained that the attention from the Japanese media appears to stem from the popularity of Korean actors Park Shi-hoo and Kim So-yeon, who have "recently become Hallyu stars" in the country. "When the drama officially premieres, it will be talked about not only in Korea and Japan but throughout Asia," the producers were quoted as saying.

Earlier this month, Japanese fans and Sky-Perfect TV producers reportedly visited the set of "Prosecutor" to see Park, who has held two fan meetings in Japan. Kim is expected to gain increased popularity when KBS2 TV's blockbuster drama "IRIS" starts airing in Japan next month.

"Prosecutor", about a newbie district attorney Ma Hye-ri who matures into a true prosecutor, is the second collaboration between writer So Hyun-kyung and producer Jin Hyuk, the duo behind last year's smash hit drama "Shining Inheritance".

"Inheritance", which starred Korean actress Han Hyo-joo and singer Lee Seung-gi, recorded a 47.1 percent viewership rating during its successful run in Korea and wrapped up its airing on Japan's Fuji TV yesterday scoring the highest rating in its time slot.

"Prosecutor", which will be broadcast every Wednesday and Thursday evening, premieres tonight in Korea.

Reporter : Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

March 31, 2010

Choi Jin-young Laid to Rest

By Han Sang-hee

Staff Reporter

20100331191548477e7_192612_1.jpg

Rain fell outside the Gangnam Severance Hospital as family and colleagues of the late actor Choi Jin-young bid their tearful farewell to the 39-year-old, Wednesday.

The funeral service took place at the hospital at 8 a.m. His mother Chung Ok-sook, and dozens of family members and other entertainers took part in the service.

Choi was found dead in an apparent suicide Monday at his home in Nonhyeon-dong. Police said Tuesday that he had suffered from depression after his top actress sister Choi Jin-sil took her own life 18 months ago. When a video of Choi and his elder sister filled the screen, friends and family wept. The actress' two children whom the actor had taken care of did not attend the service.

As fellow actors and friends carried the coffin, his mother screamed out his name sobbing, "How could you go, leaving me behind? How can I live without you?" The coffin was then taken to Hanyang University, where Choi enrolled last year to study acting. It is the school where his sister wanted him to study.

At the school, a group of students at the acting department held a street ritual to mourn his death. "You were our hero and we will not forget you," a student read.

Choi's body was cremated and buried next to his sister at the Kapsan Cemetery in Yangpyeong, Gyeonggi Province.

The older Choi, one of Korea's top actresses, committed suicide Oct. 2, 2008 after suffering from depression since her divorce and also amid rumors circulating on the Internet that she was involved in the suicide of fellow actor Ahn Jae-hwan, who was reportedly under pressure to repay overdue loans owed to loan sharks.

Credits: sanghee@koreatimes.co.kr

March 31, 2010

Press conference for drama "Bad Guy"

Reporter.Choi Ji-Eun Editor.Jang Kyung-Jin, Lucia Hong

2010033115481555139_1.jpg

Actor Kim Nam-gil (left) and actress Oh Yeon-soo [Good Story]

Q: Will each cast member explain how you have been preparing to portray your character as well as your determination for the show.

Kim Nam-gil (Kim): When I was offered the role for "Bad Guy" it was a few days after "Queen Seon-duk" finished its run so I was worried that I wouldn't be able to portray a new character because I hadn't emptied myself of my previous character Bidam. The conclusion I came to after discussion with director Lee Hyung-min was that although there may be some areas in which I wouldn't be able to rid myself completely of Bidam, I would try to act with more depth rather than change myself in various ways. That's why I'm putting an effort into depicting my character Shin Gun-wook from "Bad Guy" as someone with more depth in terms of both expressing his pain or sadness.

Han Ga-in (Han): It has been a while since my last drama so I was worried and had some concerns but after meeting and talking with the director it became a comfortable set and I became greedy. It was helpful to have been able to share my worries with the other cast members. With the drama "Bad Boy" I hope to make it a memorable production with my character Jae-in, where people can relate to her and not hate her too much.

Oh Yeon-su (Oh): As a female actor, when she begins to get old she will want to be in a melodrama however, I don't know until what age but I felt that at my age I could be in this drama. Those around me tell me that I am lucky to have shot a drama with a younger man like in the drama "Bittersweet Life" and now with Kim Nam-gil. (laugh) I will work hard so that my fellow housewives will get a vicarious thrill.

Kim Jae-wook: I was happy all the time because we had such great communication and we spoke about what we felt with the director and among the other cast members. So far, other directors tried to maximize my looks but I am thankful to director Lee because he noticed my appeal and in order to meet his expectations I am working hard. There were many characters that hid their emotions in the inside but my character Tae-sung is straightforward and shows his emotions and I hope that I can do a good job in portraying that.

Jung So-min (Jung): As I was preparing for my character Monera, I found out many things about myself as well. Since this was my first acting role, I wasn't avaricious in trying to do my best but slowly easing into my character.

10: Besides "Bad Boy" you have another new release coming soon "Last Night" which is another melodrama, is there a reason you choose melodramatic roles?

Kim: Honestly, starring in melodramas is extremely hard and I bring my experiences and values from past relationships. I think I change as well through those roles. Instead of being handed melodrama scenarios, I think I find scripts that are deep with emotion. In "Queen Seon-dok" I had some mellow scenes with Lee Yo-won but before that in the MBC drama "5 Republic" there were many scenes with men and I thought maybe just for work I can play alongside female actresses...(laugh). Also in melodramas there are various ways to expression certain emotions. In "Bad Boy" there is a passionate scene between Oh Yeon-su and myself and I was trying to be careful because I was in several bad and nude scenes. (laugh) Since this is a drama and we had to adjust to that level, for instance even though we don't take off all our clothes when we change I think the director wanted it to be sexy.

10: You shot a drama with married actress Lee Yo-won and now you are partnered with Han Ga-in and Oh Yeon-su who are both married women. What are the good points in that?

Kim: When I was shooting with Lee Yo-won I don't think I paid much attention to her husband because he wasn't an actor. But Oh Yeon-su and Han Ga-in both married actors so I would ask them how their husbands are doing. The difference between shooting a melodrama with married and single actresses are they are able to be comfortable and talk. It gives us a chance to become close and talk while not feeling the burden of a scandal. When I think about it, married people are considered to be my seniors in life and I can learn a lot from them. From now on, I want to shoot more melodramas with married actors. (laugh)

10: In the drama, your character Shin Gun-wook seems to be an experienced sportsman because he does extreme sports like paragliding and skin scuba. Do you personally enjoy those extreme sports?

Kim: Gun-wook's job is a stuntman and it doesn’t matter if you were stuntman in historical time or in the present, stuntmen have many certificates in extreme sports so I thought that I shouldn't be careless and be lacking in expressing those areas. When I first received the script for "Bad Bad" I felt worried just like when I got the script for the 21st episode "Queen Seon-duk" where Bidam made his first appearance. But I have an aptitude for sports and during the short time I was able to learn those sports and I am working hard on how to express that in the drama.

10: How does it feel to resume your acting career after such a long resting period and what is your family's response to it?

Han: I somehow ended up resting for three years. When I wasn't acting I had a daily routine which kept me busy and I didn't know this much time had passed. I wanted to be a part of "Bad Boy" for a long time and play that kind of character. My family's response is good and they cheer me on and they are considerate towards me so I won't have a hard time on set.

10: I read in an article that since your role in the drama "Bittersweet Life" in the 20 years that you have been an actress, your role in "Bad Boy" is shockingly sexual.

Oh: I was startled after reading that article as well. The script hasn’t been written for that part yet but in the beginning my character Tara avoids Gun-wook. However, in one moment she will show the kind of heart pounding love towards one man after having been in a schemed marriage. Because of that I haven't prepared anything else, it is another wonderful love story just like "Bittersweet Life."

10: I bet it was a different experience shooting in Japan compared to Korea where the drama is shot at an isolated location.

Kim: It can be hard to film in the countryside or overseas but it's a great chance for the actors and staff members to come together to communicate and be open with each other. When we first arrived in Japan, I only became close with Kim Jae-wook because he grew up in the country and he spoke Japanese. (laugh) Ga-in and I only knew simple Japanese phrases and we weren't able to communicate. Even when we went to a restaurant, we couldn't read the menu so the chef would come out and show the pictures of the food but when we went with Jae-wook it was a lot easier. I think that helped us to become closer. I think that the viewers can feel the harmony amongst the actors when they watch a drama because the actors seem more focused due to the good relationship and communication. Meeting new people and creating a relationship with them is always a good thing. So after every shoot, we didn't go out that much but just gather together in a room and talk about what happened today, what to expect tomorrow, monitor each other and sometimes we would bad-mouth the director. I'm sorry director! (laugh)

Han: The first scene was a quarrelling scene and so from the first day we all began comfortable with each other. Also, in Korea once you finish shooting for the day, everyone would go home but in Japan we stayed in this one hotel for almost 20 days. We felt like close next-door neighbors. I found out that Kim and I are in the similar age group, we have the same blood type and other common things. Thankfully, Jae-wook took care of our food orders and made sure we had enough soup. It was so much fun and the atmosphere on set was great that we talked about how great it would be in the same lodging area until the drama was over. (laugh)

Kim Jae-wook: The older actors and actresses were very considerate. It was great being in the next room as Kim Nam-gil because of his many fans he would always get lots of cookies and processed goods in his room. It felt like an imported goods store. I knew that from the start that he is a good person and I was respectful to him because even though I didn't ask he would always make sure I had something to eat. (laugh) Han Ga-in has this goddess-like image from the commercials but she can also joke around. She was very thoughtful and kept in step with my acting. I think since I was the youngest everyone was nice to me.

Reporter: Choi Ji-Eun five@10asia.co.kr Editor: Jang Kyung-Jin three@10asia.co.kr, Lucia Hong luciahong@asiae.co.kr <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

March 31, 2010

The six actors of TV series "Bad Guy"

Reporter.Choi Ji-Eun Editor.Jang Kyung-Jin, Lynn Kim

2010033115253554203_1.jpg

Director Lee Hyung-min (center) and his actors in TV series "Bad Guy" [Good Story]

Director Lee Hyung-min talks about the six actors in TV series "Bad Guy"

Rain and Kong Hyo-jin in KBS TV series "Sang Doo! Let's Go To School", So Ji-sub and Lim Soo-jung in "I'm Sorry, I Love You", Hyun Bin and Sung Yu-ri in "The Snow Queen". Director Lee Hyung-min of TV series "Bad Guy", currently in negotiations to confirm its broadcast on SBS in May, possess an exceptional "feeling" that have brought out maximum synergy effect from his lead actors in many of his previous hit dramas. Here the director talks about the respective charms of six interesting actors, whom he has gathered for "Bad Guy"; Kim Nam-gil, who has become one of the most sought-after stars after playing "Bi-dam" in MBC's "Queen Seon-deok"; Han Ga-in, who is making a comeback after a three-year hiatus; Oh Yeon-soo, who gave a convincing portrayal of a married woman in MBC's "Sweet Life"; Kim Jae-wook who has a unique and exotic character; newcomer Jung So-min, who studied theater at Korea National University of Arts; and young actress Shim Eun-kyung who has proved her acting skills in many dramas and films.

2010033115253554203_2.jpg

Actors Kim Nam-gil (left) and Han Ga-in in "Bad Guy" [Good Story]

About Kim Nam-gil :

Kim Nam-gil is an actor who gives off a vibe that is hard to define -- he is an intense actor, apart from good or bad. I think he possess an intense, primal image like the one Alain Delon showed when he was seducing women or sunbathing on a yacht in the film "Plein Soleil". I think he will do well in "Bad Guy" since he pulled off Bi-dam, but the character Gun-wook [in "Bad Guy"] will probably feel different from Bi-dam. When I was trying to come up with a title for the drama, I thought about how it would sound with the actor and I felt "Kim Nam-gil's 'Bad Guy'" sounded good together. He is not very muscular but he has a great physique, and I like how he looks and moves wearing a fit suit.

About Han Ga-in :

I heard that she got grades in school, and she really is smart and talks well. Jae-in is not a character that was often seen in previous dramas. There are some parts that hav been glamorized since a drama has to be liked by many viewers, but Jae-in is an extremely realistic and materialistic character, who shows a certain aspect of an average woman living in Seoul. To describe her in a crude way, she is from the north side of the [Han] river who dreams of making it to the Gangnam district and something happens in her life that lets her vent that desire. Up until now, Han Ga-in has had a very pretty and clean image, like a crystal, but she is working hard to transform her image in this drama and I am incredibly satisfied as a director. But she doesn't have to try so hard to be real, like wearing ugly clothes. (laugh) When we were shooting in Japan, she had a little injury where her eye rims got a little torn. It is an extremely sensitive thing for actresses to get injuries on their face, and I hadn't worked with her in the past so I didn't really know what to do. I approached her carefully, thinking she might be a little of high-maintenance type, but her first words were "I think we should shoot the scene quickly, it feels like it's going to swell up." So we shot her from the 45-degree angle to cover the injured side and finished the shoot. But the next day, she went to the hospital and in the evening, when we were filming a jogging scene with Jae-wook and Nam-gil, she showed up at the set with ice cream even though she didn't have any scenes to shoot. I was very grateful.

2010033115253554203_3.jpg

Actors Oh Yeon-su (left) and Kim Jae-wook in "Bad Guy" [Good Story]

About Oh Yeon-su :

I have never worked with her but I always thought that she was a truly remarkable actress and wanted to work with her. Tae-ra is the eldest daughter in a conglomerate family who wed her husband in an arranged marriage, but she changes when she meets Gun-wook. They say that when a woman has an affair, she feels more apologetic toward her child than her husband, and so I think there will be a lot to show in her relationship with her daughter and many female viewers who are married will relate to her character. There is a slight age difference between Tae-ra and Gun-wook, but the story is very vulgar so she has to be attractive in a sexual way. But there are not many actresses in Korea who can play this part, and I thought Oh Yeon-su was the best out of them.

About Kim Jae-wook :

For the character Tae-sung, I actually wanted to find a new face rather than hiring a busy working actor. Kim Jae-wook appeared in "The 1st Shop of Coffee Prince" and "Antique" and also does modeling and music work. When I met him, he seemed very appealing and passionate so that is how we came to work together. Tae-sung is a son of a conglomerate family who is a little crazy, and Kim expresses that side incredibly well and he has a lot of charms. Unlike his image in previous dramas, he actually has an extremely masculine personality and he has gotten very close with Nam-gil, whom he really likes. (laugh) Of course, he gets along well with the actresses too.

2010033115253554203_4.jpg

Actresses Jung So-min (left) and Shim Eun-kyung in "Bad Guy" [Good Story]

About Jung So-min :

She is an actress who is making her debut through our drama. She is a junior at Korea National University of Arts, a great dancer and has a little experience in movies. I thought the part of Monet should be played someone who has a clean, innocent feeling and energy, and I like Jung So-min's pure face. There are many actors who undergo plastic surgery these days but I like her face, which doesn't look like it had surgery and has a certain young vibe.

About Shim Eun-kyung :

She appeared as a young Sujini in MBC TV series "Taewangsashingi" and starred as the main character in KBS' "Kyung Sook, Kyung Sook's Father". She plays Moon Won-in, the younger sister of Han Ga-in's character Moon Jae-in. She was actually the first to be cast in "Bad Guy" and although she is not the main character, I think she is a really good actress.

Reporter: Choi Ji-Eun five@10asia.co.kr Editor: Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr, Jang Kyung-Jin three@10asia.co.kr <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

April 1, 2010

Lee Jun-ki to Represent Korea at Shanghai Expo

2010040100311_1.jpg

Lee Jun-ki

Actor Lee Jun-ki has been picked to promote Korea at the 2010 Shanghai Expo. He received a letter of appointment from the Korea Trade-Investment Promotion Agency at its headquarters in Seoul on Wednesday. Lee will attend various promotional events at the expo to be held from May to October in the Chinese city.

Lee was selected for his huge popularity across Asia, especially in Chinese-speaking countries as well as Japan and Thailand, KOTRA said.

Lee has also been serving as the promotional ambassador of the Korea Tourism Organization since last year. He recently made a free voice appearance on Korean language learning materials for foreigners slated to be published this month.

Lee named Shanghai EXPO spokesperson

Hallyu star Lee Jun-ki was appointed celebrity spokesperson for the Korean Pavilion at the 2010 Shanghai EXPO. The Shanghai EXPO will be held from May to October.

The actor received the letter of appointment from Korea Trade-Investment Promotion Agency, which is in charge of the Korean Pavilion, yesterday at Invest Korea Plaza in Yeomgok-dong, Seoul.

"KOTRA selected Lee Jun-ki as he is one of the most popular Hallyu stars in East Asia. Lee will actively participate in various official events during the EXPO and promote Korea," said JG Company, Lee's agency.

Lee was recently cast Oriental medical drama, "Sinui," and movie "Grand Prix" as well.

Credits: claire@heraldm.com / koreaherald.co.kr

April 1, 2010

"Shining Inheritance" ends run in Japan with flying colors

Reporter.Lucia Hong Editor.Jessica Kim

2010040110464325963_1.jpg

Cast of SBS drama "Shining Inheritance" [sBS]

Korean hit drama "Shining Inheritance," starring top actors Han Hyo-joo and Lee Seung-gi, saw a successful end to its run in Japan this week, according Han's agency BH Entertainment on Thursday.

"'Shining Inheritance' scored the highest viewership ratings ever recorded in its time slot in the past ten years," a representative from Japan's Fuji TV explained.

The show's ratings, which took off at 5.3 percent on March 2, constantly increased to peak at 9.7 percent on its 19th episode. The show bowed out with ratings of 8.0 percent.

"Inheritance" was first broadcast in Korea during the first half of 2009, quickly becoming the most-watched TV show in the country with its viewership ratings reaching 46 percent.

The drama has been sold to several other countries throughout Asia including Taiwan where it has seen high ratings as well.

The hit series took home eight awards at the 2009 SBS Drama Awards including the prize for best couple, top female actress and three Top Ten Star awards.

Reporter: Lucia Hong luciahong@asiae.co.kr Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

April 1, 2010

Rain and Lee Byung Hun Potential Nominees for MTV Movie Awards

7334_s.jpg

Rain and Lee Byung Hun have been named as preliminary nominees for the 2010 MTV Movie Awards and are now waiting for viewers’ votes.

World-class music entertainment channel MTV released a statement on March 31 that the two entertainers made the list of preliminary nominated candidates for the 19th annual MTV Movie Awards, which will be held on June 6 in Los Angeles, California. The preliminary vote, which aims to single out nominees for each category, will be conducted online on the homepage of the MTV awards (http://www.movieawards.mtv.com). Viewers can submit their choices for nominees until April 9.

7334_1025_l.jpg

The host uncapped the regional limitation for voting for the first time to collect votes from anyone in any country, so viewers in Korea also can cast a vote from this year.

Rain and Lee Byung Hun, who advanced to Hollywood, have been included in the list for their movies, “Ninja Assassin” and “G.I. Joe,” respectively. Rain is on the list of candidates for nominees of "Best richard simmons Kicking Star" and competes with 21 other stars. Lee Byung Hun is also on the list of candidates for nominees of “Best Fight” and competes with 17 other stars in the category.

7334_1026_l.jpg

By conducting this preliminary vote, the number of candidates will be whittled down and the final winner will be decided depending on the results of the official voting conducted from April 11 until June 5. MTV spokesperson said, “The candidates will be decided only by viewers’ voting without the input of additional judges on a panel, so the result will be the criterion used to evaluate preliminary nominees’ popularity.”

The 2010 MTV Movie Awards has created unique awards such as “Best Kiss,” “Best Villain,” and “Best Fight” and awards in a total of 13 categories.

April 1, 2010

"Personal Taste" already stirring Asia

2010040113025013604_2.jpg

Official poster for TV series "Personal Taste" starring Son Ye-jin (left) and Lee Min-ho [MBC]

New MBC TV series "Personal Taste" is already stirring Korea and Asia since its premiered last night, according to Korea's major broadcaster MBC on Thursday.

MBC said in a press release that the show is already receiving inquiries about overseas broadcasting copyrights and has been sold at "unprecedented prices" to several countries in Asia including Hong Kong and Thailand. "Sales inquiries are pouring in from Japan and China, the biggest markets for the Hallyu," explained an official at Victory Production Company, who produces the drama. "It is expected to be sold at the highest price in the history of Korean dramas."

Meanwhile, many fans from Japan, China and other Asian countries are reportedly visiting the set to watch and support the show's lead actor Lee Min-ho. Some 50 Japanese fans showed up at the press conference for "Taste", held March 25 in Seoul. Local fans are showing a lot of support for the show as well -- fan clubs of Lee and actress Son Ye-jin visited the set with food and clothes for the cast and crew.

"Taste", based on a novel of the same title by Korean writer Lee Se-in, is about a man pretending to be a homosexual in order to become roommates with a woman who wants to live with a gay male friend. According to daily statistics released by research firm AGB Nielsen Media, the Wednesday/Thursday drama made a solid debut on the small screen last night with a viewership rating of 13.8 percent.

The second episode airs tonight on SBS.

Reporter : Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

April 1, 2010

[PHOTO] Uhm Jung-hwa attends "Bestseller" press conference

Photographer.Park Sung-Ki Editor.Jessica Kim

2010040119205373865_1.jpg

Actor Ryu Seung-ryong and actress Uhm Jung-hwa [Park Sung-ki/Asia Economic Daily]

From left, actor Ryu Seung-ryong and actress Uhm Jung-hwa pose during a press conference for film "Bestseller" held at a CJ CGV theater in Seoul, South Korea on March 30, 2010.

2010040119205373865_2.jpg

2010040119165169551_1.jpg

Actress Uhm Jung-hwa [Park Sung-ki/Asia Economic Daily]

Actress Uhm Jung-hwa weeps at a press screening for film "Bestseller" held at a CJ CGV theater in Seoul, South Korea on March 30, 2010. Choi Jin-young, the younger brother of the late actress Choi Jin-sil who was one of her closest friends, had committed suicide the previous day after suffering from depression.

Photographer: Park Sung-Ki musictok@asiae.co.kr Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr / 10.asiae.co.kr

April 1, 2010

Uhm Jung-hwa wants "a husband like Ryu Seung-ryong"

Editor.Lee Ji-Hye, Lynn Kim

2010040116190063729_1.jpg

(From left) Actors Ryu Seung-ryong, Uhm Jung-hwa and director Lee Jeong-ho of film "Bestseller" [Echo Film]

Press conference for film "Bestseller"

The film is scary, sad yet cruel. Many emotions were felt in the film "Bestseller" which was revealed at the press screening held on March 30. Because the many incidents surrounding and swallowing up the bestseller writer Baek Hee-soo (played by Uhm Jung-hwa) stretched into various genres such as thriller, mystery and action. Baek Hee-soo, who is suffering from suspicions of plagiarism, overcomes a slump and publishes her new book. But it also gets caught up in a plagiarism controversy and a strange vibe hangs in the air of the country house where she wrote the book. Despite being a horror movie, the film hangs on to its mystery elements and at the same time, does not give up being a drama either, just as the director "wanted to pour various genres such as a house horror, mystery and thriller into a single film like water flowing." And the film squeezes the story without attempting to force a shocking twist -- a common mistake easily made by Korean thriller and horror films. Actress Uhm Jung-hwa, who maintains her realistic touch while going back and forth from schizophrenia and hysteria, pulls off her part as the film's sole lead. And the balanced and seasoned acting from every main and supporting actor is impressive as well. Below is an excerpt from the Q&A session held after the screening.

Q: A variety of stories such as plagiarism, murder and mystery appear in the film "Bestseller". What part did you focus on the most when you were making the film?

Director Lee Jeong-ho (Lee): The film is about a writer who searches for the truth after she goes through things that she cannot believe herself. In the second half of the film, when the memories or forgotten memories of each character are revealed, I tried to make those circumstances feel like something that could happen in real life.

Q: You got a positive review when you lead the story in your previous film "Aurora Princess" You are also standing at the center of the movie "Bestseller". I think this could have motivated you to think differently about acting but also pressured you.

2010040116190063729_2.jpg

Korean actress Uhm Jung-hwa [Echo Film]

Uhm Jung-hwa (Uhm): I am a little worried now that the movie is going to open. (laugh) But I am going to have faith in the movie and not be scared because I believe the film's story is something that viewers can enjoy relating to. I am so happy that I can make this kind of movie, and I wanted to work hard on it. My character Soon-jung in "Aurora Princess" was a mother who lost her daughter, so there was a sadness underlying all her emotions. But Hee-soo in "Bestseller" is a woman whose own desire, the desire to write, is bigger than anything else. In fact, I could actually compare the character to myself, thinking about the time when I can't work or wondering how it would feel to experience something that is mentally hard, like being accused of plagiarism. So in this film, I could actually enjoy myself even when work was hard.

Q: Many set-ups in the movie remind me of horror movies like "1024" or "Silent Hill". Plagiarism appears as an important motif in the film, and I don't think the film could be completely free from that accusation.

Lee: I actually expected to be asked this question when i was first planning the film. I worried about this a lot when I was writing the scenario and I think there are so-called cliches in the film. I haven't seen the film "1024" or how the village looks in "Silent Hill" but if you say those little details are plagiarism, I don't think they are. There is a basic rule and movement flow in genre films like thrillers, horror and mystery movies. I used a lot those so-called cliches in this movie. There is a dialogue in the movie about plagiarism, and I believe plagiarism is something that stands at the borderline of whether one's previous memories can come out as one's own idea through his unconsciousness without one realizing that he is doing something consciously or unconsciously. Theoretically, it can be categorized as two things but I think it is impossible to distinguish in reality. It seems irresponsible but only the person himself would know and I think it is up to his conscience.

Q: It must have been exhausting for the actors both psychologically and physically to act out incidents and stories that happen in a remote countryside village.

2010040116190063729_3.jpg

Actor Ryu Seung-ryong [Echo Film]

Lee: All the scenes were difficult and draining. As you can see, there are various genres placed in the fim. I worked the hardest on making all the different genres flow, like water, into one movie. Personally, my favorite scene is when -- about halfway into the film -- Baek Hee-soo realizes the real reason that she has not been able to write for two years. The energy that actress Uhm Jung-hwa had when we shot that scene -- it was so impressive that I almost cried. The action scenes in the second half of the movie was physically exhausting. I put in great effort to shoot the process starting from how each trauma of several characters in the basement explodes under the supernatural energy inside the house and how it builds into a total chaos. That was probably the most exhausting scene for the actors.

Uhm: The underwater scenes were very difficult too. It was hard to hold my breath for a long time and I was so terrified when I first went into the water. But I am disappointed because they came out dark in the film. (laugh) The fight scenes were physically exhausting too. For the scenes inside the country house, it was hard every time I had to feel fear of the vibe of the house and express the feeling of being with my daughter.

Ryu Seung-ryong (Ryu): This is just a tip of the iceberg compared to Uhm Jung-hwa but shooting the underwater scene was difficult because I has claustrophobia. Compared to me, Uhm Jung-hwa is a mermaid. (laugh) It was also hard to watch Bae Hee-soo sobbing when she is talking to her psychiatrist. It was heartbreaking to see her dried-up cry, such a sad cry that she couldn't even shed tears.

Q: The role of actresses is getting smaller and smaller in Korean films nowadays. Weren't you worried when you chose a sole female lead for Uhm Jung-hwa?

2010040116190063729_4.jpg

"Bestseller" director Lee Jeong-ho [Echo Film]

Lee: Even this year, so many films with male leads are opening one after another. But "Bestseller" had a female lead right from the start. I chose to have a female writer because the anxious emotions and mother instincts of women play a big part in the story rather than emotions felt by men. And from the film "Princess Aurora", I realized that Uhm Jung-hwa has a whole different side to her as an actress, beyond the female lead image in romantic comedy movie she had. When I was planning the movie, I thought she and I could find yet another different side to her if we worked together. There are limitations that actresses have in every genre, but Uhm Jung-hwa is one of the few actresses who can break down the boundaries of genre.

Q: You have an unusually many fight scenes with men in the movie. Who was the most difficult to fight with?

Uhm: Actually it was Ryu Seung-ryong, who played my husband. (laugh) In the scene where he is rescuing Hee-soo after she drowns, it really hurt when he was doing CPR on me. And I got slapped and my nose even started to bleed. But when I was shooting this film, I felt for the first time how reassuring it was to have a co-star like him. I even thought it would be great to have a husband like him. (laugh)

Q: The ending credits say that actress Choi Gang-hee lent her voice in the film.

Lee: Choi Gang-hee was personally close with the film's producer and I was interested in her ever since the script for "Bestseller" first came out. She offered to help if there was anything she could do during post-production and gladly accepted to lend her voice in the film. She provided voice-overs for the whispering voices inside the house surrounding Baek Hee-soo. We put in a lot of special effects so it won't be easy for viewers to understand, but we just tried it anyway.

Q: Recently, many Korean films opened in theaters claiming to be thrillers. If you could say one thing to the viewers who will watch "Bestseller"?

Lee: There have been many thriller films but we wanted to differentiate our movie. We focused on making various genres in this film penetrate through the character Baek Hee-soo on a wholistic level of the film. It breaks away a little from existing traditional thrillers, and I think it is a film where you can eat various ingredients so I hope the audience has fun watching it.

Ryu: I think our movie is going to be a bit of a fresh shock. I am confident that the film will reap a lot of rewards in many aspects. There aren't many Korean movies opening in April and I hope it does really well.

Reporter : Lee Ji-Hye seven@10asia.co.kr Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

Archived