[News] Drama, Movies, Actors & Actresses

Guest CindyW88

[PREVIEW]

tvN TV series "Golden Villa"

2010030418272218973_1.jpg

Cast of "Golden House": actress Lee Bo-young, actor Shin Ha-kyun and Baek Yoon-sik [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

"Golden Villa"

- tvN TV

Written by: Jang Hang-jun, Kim Eun-hee

Directed by: Cho Hyun-taek

Starring: Shin Ha-kyun (as Oh Bok-kyu), Lee Bo-young (as Yoon Seo-lin), Baek Yoon-sik (as Park Tae-chon), Kim Chang-wan (as Kim Sang-chul), Jo Mi-ryung (as Madame Hong), Go Soo-hui (as Kim Choo-ja), Moon Hee-kyung (as No Mae-ja), Park Song-ei (as Kang Byul)

In one sentence: About a guy who inherits a small villa from his father and also meets the woman of his dreams but does not know of the huge crime that lingers in the background.

Premiere date: March 5, 2010, 11:00 PM

A shabby villa in an under-developed area holds gold bars worth 50 billion won. And this place also holds a secret that cannot be easily revealed to the petit bourgeois living in the building. This is where new tvN series "Golden House" starts its story which delves into secrets and crimes which become increasingly serious. Bok-kyu, who is a minor actor, receives ownership of apartment number 201 from his father as a way of understanding his father for leaving him when he was a young boy. However, the apartment holds a clue to where his father has hidden the vast amount of golden bars. And everyone in the building seems to have some sort of an idea about the gold bars besides Bok-kyu. Furthermore, the people are not who they seem to be on the outside. Seo-lin, the girl Bok-kyu likes, intentionally approaches him to figure out the clue to the treasure and next door neighbor Tae-chon seems to be a regular guy but is actually a hardcore gangster.

The setting of "Golden House" is bright and cheerful yet hidden behind the drama are unexpected surprises that will scare the viewer. The pre-produced 20 episode series stars Shin Ha-kyun, Baek Yoon-sik and Kim Chang-wan. The show, with its spectacular cast and unique plot, is good enough to air on a public network but catches the attention of the audience even more as it has been set to air on cable channel tvN. The press conference for "Golden House" was held at the Seong-nam CGV on Tuesday. During the conference, Park Ji-young of CJ Media group explained, "There are untypical elements to the show unlike other regular TV shows so that is why 'Golden Villa' will be shown on cable TV.” "Golden Villa" may seem small but will it be stand out to become a memorable cable TV drama?

Anticipation Quotient (1-10 points)

If you want to find out if this new Korean-style drama is worth watching: 9 points

If you want a more detailed criminal thriller drama: 7 points

The first and second episode of "Villa" was shown to the audience at the press conference, opening with the scene where Bok-kyu's father is murdered while holding onto a secret. But the show focuses on depicting through comic relief on how the ordinary people of Golden Villa live with their secret. Baek Yoon-sik does well in portraying the fearsome gangster who does not know what to do with his tomboyish daughter and there are also several funny parts to where Oh Bok-kyu and Yoon Seo-lin try to become closer. However, while the drama has already revealed its huge secret, the plot itself does not develop much by the second episode. And the scene where Seo-lin says "This could be used in a drama," is so mundane that it should not be used in one. It is a bit disappointing that the script and editing are more condensed. But like scenarist Jang Hang-jun said, the show is "originally a dark and gruesome story but with a comedic twist to it." Hence, "Villa" will continue to unravel the secrets to each character as a criminal thriller. The flash of hope may come from the fact that the second episode hinted the story would develop in its following episode. Let us keep hoping that "Villa" will be a story we have never seen before.

Senior Reporter : Kang Myoung-Seok two@10asia.co.kr

Editor : Lucia Hong luciahong@asiae.co.kr, Lee Ji-Hye seven@10asia.co.kr

<ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 

• Replies 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2010-03-05

Jang Dong-gun and Go So-young to Marry on May 2

Top Korean stars Jang Dong-gun and Go So-young will tie the knot at the Shilla Hotel on May 2. According to the Silla Hotel, the couple will have a private wedding -- with only family, close friends, and celebrity colleagues invited -- in the Dynasty hall at the Silla Hotel. The couple will most likely set up their home at a villa in Heukseok-dong. Jang will officially announce his wedding date during an upcoming fan meeting which will be held at the Coex auditorium on March 6th. Jang’s agency said, “We can confirm that Jang will announce his wedding schedule at the fan meeting.”

7306_925_l.jpg

Jang and Go, who were both born in 1972, became a couple in late 2007. Their agencies revealed, “The two became a couple after they had had a good relationship as friends for a long time.” The two revealed that they were a couple when they appeared together at an airport after returning from a Hawaii trip earlier this year. People were guessing that the couple would marry sooner or later because Jang bought a luxurious villa in Heukseok-dong last month.

Jang and Go, who were superstars in the 1990s, first met on the set of the movie “Love Wind, Love Song (1999).”

Meanwhile, Jang will appear the film “My Way” from director Kang Jae-gyu. The film is set at the time of the Normandy Landing in World War II. The movie portrays the life of an Asian man who became a Nazi soldier after he was drafted into the Japanese army.

Source : KBS GLOBAL

[iNTERVIEW]

Actress Lee Bo-young

2010030512352823988_1.jpg

Korean actress Lee Bo-young [photographed by Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

A poster shoot for "Golden Villa" was taking place at a studio in Nonhyun-dong of Seoul. The actors, each already full of character, displayed facial expressions that summarized the roles they had taken for the drama and drew curiosity by simply standing still in front of the camera. Actor Baek Yoon-shik, who plays the problem-solver in the drama, expressed his concern by saying, "Make me look sturdy". But once he went into shoot, he put on a tough guy-like appearance and looking relaxed, remarked "Should I act like I just killed about 50 people?" But it was actress Lee Bo-young, who plays the female lead in the drama and looked cheerful throughout the photo shoot, that stood out more than anyone at the studio. Her character Seo-rin approaches Bok-gyu (played by Shin Ha-kyun) pretending to be the perfect woman but she actually works in the adult entertainment business. Here we reveal the stories Lee told us about "Harvest Villa."

Q: This drama claims to be a cruel thriller. Were there any difficulties you encountered during the shooting?

Lee: I've only shot about four episodes till now but it was hard because I filmed very intense scenes from the start. I thought I would have an easy shooting schedule in the beginning but I shot the intense scenes first -- such as working at adult entertainment places and trying to kiss Bok-gyu to seduce him. I shot the scenes that reveal my character all at once.

Q: Your character is complex and not easy to portray. Weren't you worried when you chose to play this role?

Lee: I was a little worried but I thought it would be fun to portray this character. I felt like I could show a lot of change and that there was much I could add to in playing the part.

Q: You're in the situation where your character too will be acting. So are you preparing to play two characters?

Lee: I've prepared myself to speak in two different ways but I keep getting confused. (laugh)

Q: You also played a two-faced character in "Once Upon a Time".

Lee: In that film, my character had two different jobs but she actually was always adorable and foolish. This time, however, I have to show two completely different characters. One side to her is cute, cheerful and off-the-wall, while another side acts indifferent and as if she knows everything about life.

2010030512352823988_2.jpg

Actress Lee Bo-young in previous films: "A Story Sadder than Sadness"(2009) with Kwon

Sang-woo (left) and "A Dirty Carnival"(2006) with Zo In-sung 

Q: I heard you were the last person to be cast - didn't you have little time to prepare?

Lee: That's what I thought and I was worried, but I gained some time when the shooting became delayed for about three weeks. (laugh) I had to a lot to prepare in the beginning such as tennis and martial arts.

Q: You must have been under a lot of pressure physically because you had to show a lot of physical stuff.

Lee: The first day that I played tennis, I went home and fell asleep at 9 p.m. When I woke up in the morning, I saw that I had cried in my sleep. (laugh) I had given up on practicing postures in the past because it was so boring. But I'm having fun now that I'm learning to hit balls.

Q: You must have been very cautious about taking on this drama since it is your first drama appearance in three years. What in particular drew you to it?

Lee: I was attracted by the fact that I didn't have too many scenes to shoot. Usually in a mini-series, the two main characters have to shoot an overwhelming amount of scenes in the latter half of the show. And in such cases, the actors will end up acting mechanically, but in this drama, there are various characters and they each have their own story to tell so everyone gets their share of attention. That lessens the burden and I thought that would give me the space to prepare my acting. I feel rather reassured that the drama branches out in many ways.

Q: Then the fact that the drama would go into pre-production since the script had been set must have been an important factor in your decision.

Lee: Of course it was. You can understand your character better when you know the whole story. But I decided to focus on one scene at a time when I am acting rather than thinking about what comes after.

Q: It sounds like you trust the writer and director entirely.

Lee: When you read the script, everything falls into place amazingly. I thought the writer was a genius. As a reader, the script gets more interesting when you read it two or three times. But it is a little disappointing visually, that what we've shot so far isn't attractive in terms of the wardrobe. We're getting the new arrivals now so you'll see them in the later episodes but they might be out of style by the time the show airs. (laugh)

2010030512352823988_3.jpg

Actress Lee Bo-young [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

Q: Your wardrobe must be pretty fancy with a character like yours.

Lee: Since I have to show something very clear in a visual way, more so than people who really work in the adult entertainment business, I wore clothes that were much fancier in color and design than what I usually wear. I wore leopard print for the first time in my life. (laugh)

Q: You usually play someone who gets seduced -- this is your first time playing a seductress, right?

Lee: It was hard because I'm playing the seducer and I didn't know what to do. But as an actor, it's fun to play the part because my character shows more and more to her as the story progresses. She is a character who changes in various ways within the drama.

Q: There are comedic elements to the story - do you do some comedic acting yourself?

Lee: I don't do any comedy-style acting but there are many situations which are hilarious. For example, I'm just doing my best to seduce Bok-gyu but it'll look very funny to other people.

Q: I heard that your character needs money from Bok-gyu, so the romance must be an obstacle to your character's goal.

Lee: She needs money to stop working in the adult entertainment industry and achieve her dream of becoming a designer. She is swayed by Bok-gyu's innocence but Seo-rin remains a mysterious character to the end. It'll be difficult to discover the true side of Seo-rin unless you watch the show till the very end.

Q: The plot is crucial to the drama, so I am very cautious to not give out any spoilers while asking questions about the story.

Lee: If the story is entertaining, it doesn't matter that you know about a couple of the scenes. If the story is compelling, viewers will keep watching even if they know what happens later. There is nothing to worry about if it is entertaining.

Q: Does that mean you are confident about "Harvest Villa"?

Lee: Who starts off a drama without any confidence? Our director is even more confident than I am. He sent me a text message when I was considering to do the drama. He wrote, "Miss Bo-young, I want to surprise the world with this drama!" (laugh) Because of the nature of the story, they say it'll be hard to attract viewers mid-way through but isn't it easy to re-watch episodes these days?

Reporter : Yoon Hee-Seong nine@10asia.co.kr

Photographer : Chae ki-won ten@10asia.co.kr

Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr, Jang Kyung-Jin three@10asia.co.kr

• 3 weeks later...

March 12, 2010

Online Mystery Movie ‘The Influence’ Debuts

2010031309115332914_091322_0.jpg

Lee Jae-gyoo’s directorial debut The Influence was released this week through the internet. The three part film stars Lee Byung-hun fresh from his international exposure in Tran Ahn Hung's I Come with the Rain and blockbuster GI Joe. He appears alongside TV drama actor Han Chae-young who recently starred in Good Morning President (2009). The film also stars actors Jun No-min, Kim Tae-woo (The Naked Kitchen 2008) and Jo Jae-hyun.

Although this is Lee Jae-gyoo’s first directorial venture, he is well known in Korea after bringing hit dramas Damo and Beethoven Virus to the small screen. The movie, which also delves into the realms of fantasy, takes place over the period 1907 – 2010. The two actors play characters who share a love that spans the duration. Ultimately though, Lee’s character will need to make a choice whether or not to keep a long held promise.

The Influence, produced by Realize Pictures and Windsor Entertainment was released on the internet on the third of March.

Credits: David Oxenbridge <KOFIC>

March 19, 2010

Eom transforms herself again

Film is another guise for the multitalented ‘Korean Madonna’

18205740.jpg

Eom Jung-hwa portrays a nervous author involved in a series of plagiarism scandals in “Bestseller,”

coming to local theaters April 15. Provided by Lemon Tree

Korea’s entertainment industry experts love to nickname local stars after Hollywood celebrities. It’s a surefire way to attract the public’s attention. A young teen in an idol group who can dance and sing might be called “the Korean Justin Timberlake” or a skillful child actor who can burst into tears on demand is dubbed “Korea’s Dakota Fanning,” even though Fanning is all grown up now.

These would-be stars often fail to live up to their namesakes. But Eom Jeong-hwa - known as the “Korean Madonna” - may be the exception. Eom is unafraid of transforming herself for a screen role - her characters have included a devoted wife, a lesbian, a single woman who wants to have a baby - while on stage, she sings disco with her hair in a bob, wearing skin-tight leather tops and shorts at the age of 41. She also loves to stir up controversy: Eom was the first local singer to appear in public in her underwear.

A favorite of the public and paparazzi alike, Eom has been an A-list screen darling for almost two decades, and she has 10 albums under her belt - every one producing at least one hit. No other Korean star has juggled acting and singing careers as successfully, or for as long, as Eom has. This spring, Eom plays the role of a hysterical author involved in a plagiarism scandal in her new film “Bestseller,” to be released next month.

1849424.jpg

In order to play the role, Eom, who calls herself a gourmet, went on a diet and shed about seven kilograms (15 pounds). “I’m not the type of person who easily slims down, but I had to do so to add reality to this nervous and hysterical character, because people who often get stressed out or sensitive are usually thin. So I walked on the treadmill for 100 minutes per day and ate protein instead of carbohydrates,” Eom said at a recent press conference in central Seoul.

To see her in this role, it’s hard to believe the soft-spoken and amiable Eom was once a regular in romantic comedies. The effort to expand the scope of her film career began when she played a serial killer in “Princess Aurora” in 2005. That film convinced Bestseller director Lee Jeong-ho that Eom was right for the job. “I think Eom is the best and smartest actress in Korea, interpreting and understanding her roles better than other Korean actresses,” he said.

Although Eom still feels more comfortable with romantic comedies, she said she was hooked by the script of Bestseller after reading only a few pages. “When I do romantic comedies, I feel like I’m loved by many people, and it makes me feel good. But I think there is a different level of pleasure when I film thrillers. My eyes and facial expressions are gloomy and dark when I do thrillers,” she said.

“The action scenes were really tough but really fun. I don’t think I’ll be able to forget the moment when I climbed up to a rooftop wearing seven-centimeter (2.8-inch) high heels. The director might not know, but I cried on the rooftop,” Eom said, laughing.

Eom’s co-star Ryu Seung-ryong, also at the press conference, predicted the film would be a turning point in Eom’s acting career. The actress herself was less sure. “The audience will judge whether this is going to be my turning point or not, but one sure thing is that I found myself enjoying every single scene during production,” Eom said.

Bestseller is slated to open on April 15.

By Sung So-young [so@joongang.co.kr] via joongangdaily.joins.com / poster from news.nate.com

2010-03-16

Bae Yong Joon Visits Fans in Hospitals

Bae Yong Joon visited hospitals to see his fans injured from an accident on the set of the drama "Winter Sonata."

7317_958_l.jpg

The Hallyu star went to the hospitals to visit 30 fans who had been hospitalized. They had been injured from a sudden gust of wind while they visited the film set of the animated version of "Winter Sonata" in Jeongdongjin, Gangneung in Gangwondo province on March 12.

A spokesperson from Bae Yong Joon's agency, BOF, said, "Bae Yong Joon visited four hospitals in the Gangneung area, where the wounded fans are hospitalized, and expressed his sincere regret." He added, "Bae Yong Joon met all the injured fans one by one in person and consoled them, wishing their quick recovery while he offered an apology for the accident."

7317_959_l.jpg

The number of injured fans who were hurt by broken set equipment (caused by the sudden gust of wind at around 3 pm on March 12) is 32, including 28 Japanese tourists. They had come to the filming location to watch the filming of the last episode of the animated version of "Winter Sonata," in which Bae Yong Joon and Choi Ji Woo appear.

BOF described the accident by saying, "Bae Yong Joon was taking a commemorative photograph with fans. In the middle of the photo shoot, there were suddenly strong winds that were powerful enough to make people lose their balance. So they stopped taking pictures and moved to the inside of the resort. At that moment, the rostrum, which was set up to take pictures, and a post set up to guide the filming fell down, and some of the onlookers were injured."

7317_960_l.jpg

BOF added, "The company will provide its utmost efforts to take care of the fans injured by this accident to aid their recovery."

Source : KBS GLOBAL

Korean comic "Full House" to become animated 3D film

2010031808474216398_4.jpg

Korean drama "Full House"

Korean comic "Full House," better known throughout Asia by its TV adaptation starring Asian pop sensation Rain and top Korean actress Song Hye-kyo, is set to be developed into a 3D animated movie, according to its producer on Thursday.

Dream Pictures 21 announced that the big screen version of "Full House" would combine both 2D and 3D animation techniques, making it the first Korean comic to be turned into a 3D production.

Dream Pictures also added that Rain will be taking part in the production of the film and K-pop idol group MBLAQ, who is under Rain's record label Company J. Tune Camp, will participate in recording the original soundtrack for the movie.

Dream Pictures will hold a press conference on March 30 to reveal further details about the movie which is set for a simultaneous release in Korea and Japan in November. The animated feature will be dubbed in both languages.

Originally a 16 volume series by Won Soo-yeon, "Full House" was popular amongst Korean readers from when it started being published serially in 1994. The drama version was a smash hit in Korea during its airing in 2004 and was sold to several Asian countries including China, Japan and the Philippines.

Reporter : Lucia Hong luciahong@asiae.co.kr

Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr

Upbeat rom-com vs. court romance

201003210021.jpg

"Oh! My Lady" SBS/"Dongyi" MBC

Tonight signals the end of a "High Kick Through the Roof" era and the start of a new MBC sitcom, "Bolsurok Aegyo Manjeom."

It also heralds the start of "Jewel in the Palace" and "Yi San" director Lee Byung-hoon's latest project, MBC's "Dongyi."

While "Dongyi" looks set to repeat the success of its blockbuster predecessors, it is SBS' new Monday and Tuesday night series "Oh! My Lady" that promises to be a sleeper hit.

Featuring "Dalja's Spring" actress Chae Rim and boy band Super Junior member Choi Si-won, the lighthearted rom-com looks set to reel in audiences with the bickering and sparring that arises when a spunky heroine goes head-to-head with a "bad boy" celebrity.

Gratuitous displays of Choi's abs -- the result of a chicken breast heavy-diet and exercise -- coupled with Chae Rim's knack for being adorable and feisty make for eye candy-laden comedy. Add to that Choi's ability to pull off the role of a star who is a party-loving, abysmal actor, and it seems like this series will have a strong run.

"My character gets matured, manufactured and changed," the 23-year old K-pop star said at a press conference last week.

Actress Chae Rim's character, obviously, will be giving Choi's character his makeover as his unlikely manager. Though this is Choi's first stint as the lead in a 16-episode TV series, co-star Chae Rim revealed that Choi "has a strong passion for acting."

What really clenches the charm of "Oh! My Lady," however, is the fact that "Cat on the Roof" scriptwriter Gu Sun-kyung is on board. Gu, who co-wrote "Cat on the Roof" with Min Hyo-jung, showcased an ability to whip out cute and romantic repartee in the hit MBC series in 2003. Now Gu is ready to repeat history once again.

If SBS' "Oh! My Lady" promises to win audiences over with its upbeat comedy, then MBC's "Dongyi" promises to grab viewers with its melodramatic court romance.

Based on the life of the mother of Joseon's 21st monarch, "Dongyi" charts the heroine's rise from her position as a maid to that of the royal concubine of King Sukjong (played by "Jewel in the Palace" actor Ji Jin-hee) and then as King Youngjo's mother.

"Brilliant Legacy" actress Han Hyo-ju will be playing the lead, a task she admitted she found daunting.

"At first I hesitated a bit," Han said in an interview from an MBC press release. "I felt that taking on a historical drama would not be easy and I questioned my ability to play someone from their teens into their 50s. But I grew ambitious and felt that I should not miss out on the opportunity to play such a broad role."

Though a child actress will be playing the young heroine Dongyi, Han faces the challenge of portraying Dongyi's long journey from teenager to woman to mother. Co-star Ji Jin-hee, however, thinks that actress Han is a perfect fit.

"When I first saw Han Hyo-ju I really thought she was just right for the role," actor Ji said in an interview from an MBC press release. "Dongyi is a character who goes through a lot of ups and downs in her life. It is rare to find an actress who can play both a low-class servant and a royal concubine."

For his character, Ji revealed that he wanted to show a monarch who had "weak spots that show through his charismatic exterior."

"Rather than being a dignified king, he is an outgoing and adventurous character," said the 38-year old actor.

No drama is complete without a love triangle. "Brilliant Legacy" actor Bae Soo-bin is set to reprise his role as a devoted suitor to Han Hyo-ju's heroine. Actress Lee So-yeon who starred opposite Bae Soo-bin in SBS' "Angel's Temptation" is playing yet another villainess in the upcoming series.

MBC is also revamping its Monday night line-up with the new sitcom "Bolsurok Aegyo Manjeom." Following on the heels of the highly successful "High Kick Through the Roof," this family-friendly series will chart the lives of a single mother, her three daughters and the men in their lives.

"Old Miss Diary" actress Ye Ji-won will be playing the eldest daughter of the family. "Full House" actor Kim Sung-su will be playing her love interest. "Tamra, the Island" actor Lee Seon-ho will also be starring in the upcoming series as a doctor.

"Oh! My Lady" starts tonight at 8:50 p.m. on SBS.

"Dongyi" starts tonight at 9:55 p.m. on MBC.

"Bolsurok Aegyo Manjeom" starts tonight at 7:45 p.m. on MBC and airs from Mondays to Fridays.

Credits : Jean Oh (oh_jean@heraldm.com)

Source : The Korea Herald

No Gun Ri film fails to impress

201003210022.jpg

After nine years in the making, "A Little Pond" -- the film that portrays the events around the No Gun Ri Massacre during the Korean War -- is finally ready to roll out in theaters nationwide.

The film had its first official press screening at the CGV Wangsimni in Seoul on Thursday to a packed house of reporters, critics, and photographers.

It was a testament to the amount of interest shown toward the infamous No Gun Ri Massacre -- the harrowing event that rocked the nation in 1999 when a trio of Associated Press reporters spearheaded by Choe Sang-hun first uncovered the Korean War atrocity.

Prior to its completion, the production had been widely publicized as a project that was described as a labor of love from everyone involved with most of the headlining actors forgoing pay to off-set the lack of funding it received.

The film stars some of Korea's most acclaimed acting talent like film and theater veterans Moon Seung-keun, Kang Shin-il, Kim Roe-ha, Song Gang-ho, Moon So-ri, and Yu Hae-jin.

But for a film that took so much time, effort, and passion from its cast and crew, it got a lukewarm response from the local press and movie critics.

The post-screening Q&A session with the cast and director was an awkward affair. Reporters who were clearly unimpressed with the film were reluctant to ask critical questions out of respect for the subject matter.

Executive Producer Lee Woo-jung who championed the project from day 1 looked as though he had already lost confidence in the box office potential of the film.

"The most important factor for an investor is to recoup his money and maybe make a profit, but Director Lee Sang-woo wrote the script that went in a direction that made investors shy away from committing to the project," he said.

"And the conclusion we came down to was that realistically, there was no way we could appeal to investors' interest without compromising the integrity of the story."

From the pre-production phase to post-production, the film faced hurdle after hurdle.

Budgetary issues were the biggest problem, which posed headaches for the production team as they tried to to properly hash out the logistics of filming a key scene in the film -- the massacre.

"The massacre scene and the 50s era village setting were all done with CGI," he said.

"We couldn't focus all of our attention on this aspect of our film solely, which slowed down the production longer than expected."

He solemnly added, "We are a bit disappointed with a few scenes here and there."

It also didn't help that the subject matter was viewed by investors as "unsellable" and "too controversial" for it to have any chance at box office success.

"In order to get the 40 billion won we needed for the film's budget, we decided instead of trying to persuade them, we would find ways to curb costs such as getting the cast to agree to act in the film without pay," he said.

"I didn't want to hear from people that the film didn't look polished enough because of a lack of funds. Our thought was that we were not going to make a film that looked rough and unpolished."

On the film's title, Lee says it holds "no particular meaning."

It is based on a famous song by Kim Min-ki which he felt had relevance to the tragedy.

The screening that day wasn't the first time it was played to the public.

Last year, the long delayed film premiered in competition at the Pusan International Film Festival but failed to gain much buzz.

The film ultimately went home empty handed, but more worrisome was the lack of interest from both local and overseas distributors.

Though it might not have turned out the way they had hoped, the cast and crew of the low-budget film should however take solace in the fact their passion project which began a year shy of a decade will finally be released on April 15.

"I did my best with this film and I hope the families of the victims and survivors of the tragedy will be consoled by it," said the film's writer-director Lee Sang-woo.

Credits : Song Woong-ki (kws@heraldm.com)

Source : The Korea Herald

March 21, 2010

Korean star Lee Byunghun cleared of gambling charges

Reporter.Park Kun-ouc Editor.Jessica Kim

338476(0)-m450298_94536.JPG

Korean actor Lee Byung-hun has been cleared of illegal gambling charges filed against him last year by his former girlfriend.

The Seoul Central Prosecutors' Office ruled Friday that "there is no evidence" Lee had been involved in habitual gambling overseas, an allegation made early December by the Korean-Canadian woman identified only by her last name Kwon.

A legal dispute between the two fired up when Kwon lodged a complaint to court saying she was allured into having a sexual relationship with the actor on his false promises of marriage and demanded she be compensated for physical and psychological damage she suffered. She also accused the actor of gambling while on shoots overseas and distributed a photograph of the two of when they were a couple to backup her claims.

Prosecutors also acknowledged that Kwon had tried to defame Lee's reputation, as the actor's legal representatives had claimed through a countersuit, but ordered a stay of prosecution with Kwon having departed for Canada.

Meanwhile, baseball player-turned-TV personality Kang Byung-kyu, who too was sued by Lee, was indicted without detention for defamation and attempted blackmail. Kang had already been indicted for his alleged involvement in an assault case on the set of TV series "IRIS" which he visited in mid-December over talk that Chung Tae-won, chief of Taewon Entertainment and producer of the hit show, had spread false rumor that he was behind the feud between Lee and Kwon.

Lee, 39, has appeared in numerous Korean dramas and films, including TV series "All In" and director Park Chan-wook's 2000 film "Joint Security Area". He also debuted in Hollywood last year with a supporting role in "G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra" alongside Channing Tatum and Sienna Miller and starred in action thriller "I Come with the Rain" with Josh Hartnett and Takuya Kimura which also showed in theaters in 2009.

Reporter : Park Kun-ouc kun1112@asiae.co.kr Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

03-21-2010

Will 'Dong-yi' Become Next 'Jewel in the Palace?'

It's been seven years since MBC's hit drama "Daejanggeum'' (Jewel in the Palace) captivated viewers around the world and made Korea one of the most popular countries in terms of drama content. MBC is hoping to do the same with its new period drama, ``Dong-yi,'' which airs tonight.

The spotlight is on the main character, Dong-yi, who will be played by ``Brilliant Legacy'' (SBS) heroine Han Hyo-joo. Will the 23-year-old Han be able to meet the challenges of playing a historical figure?

``Of course, I felt a lot of pressure. I was mostly worried at first. Dong-yi was a real person; she later became Sukbin Choi, one of King Sukjong's consorts. I have to portray her from her teenage years to her fifties, so I was worried, but I still wanted the part. I wanted to play this type of character sometime in my career and although I think it came a bit earlier than I expected, I happily accepted it,'' Han said during a press conference held at Yongin, Gyeonggi Province, last week.

The drama revolves around Dong-yi, a bright and courageous girl who was born as a house slave but was eventually sent to the palace as a court lady during the Joseon Kingdom (1392-1910). After being framed by Jang Huibin, the notorious concubine of King Sukjong, she escapes the palace but returns as a palace maid. Her life takes a fortuitous turn when she is noticed by King Sukjong and finally becomes Royal Consort Sukbin Choi. The 50-episode series deals with Choi's motherhood and lifelong journey to protect her son, who later becomes King Yeongjo.

The news that Lee Byung-hoon, the maker of ``Heo Jun'' (1999, MBC), ``Jewel in the Palace'' (2003) and ``Lee San, Wind of the Palace'' (2008, MBC), was back, made headlines even before casting started.

Praised as one of the most reliable and successful period drama by producers in the business, Lee chose the character Dong-yi for a reason.

``I've always been interested in King Yeongjo and the Joseon Kingdom period. Yeongjo was greatly influenced by his mother and I wanted to show this through the drama,'' he said.

The veteran producer always used a key feature in laying out his dramas: medicine in the drama ``Heo Jun,'' food in ``Jewel in the Palace'' and art in ``Lee San.'' This time, he has chosen music. ``Dong-yi'' will feature the music of the Joseon Kingdom period, based on music passed down by Jangakwon, the forerunner of today's National Center for Korean Traditional Performing Arts. The drama is expected to bring various types of court music, including ``A-ak,'' ``Hyang-ak'' and ``Dang-ak.'' Han had to learn how to play the ``haegeum,'' a two-stringed fiddle, for the role.

``Viewers no longer enjoy watching weak and innocent women. People want to watch bright and outgoing characters. Dong-yi is a woman who fought for the life and rights of the lower class. She was born from the lowest class, but later raised a great king,'' Lee explained.

Lee welcomed new faces such as Han for his new project, but the 65-year-old director has also brought back a familiar face.

Ji Jin-hee, who played an official and Daejanggeum's love interest in ``Jewel in the Palace,'' will return to the small screen as King Sukjong, who later saves Dong-yi from her misery and welcomes her to the palace as his concubine. It is Ji's first time portraying a king. He played an official in ``Jewel in the Palace.''

``I was treated differently after I became king. Everything was so different from my experience during `Jewel in the Palace.' Jang-geum was always the center of attention and nobody really cared about me,'' he said, laughing.

Despite his vast experience as a producer, Lee confessed that he is still nervous a couple of weeks before airing.

``I couldn't fall asleep. Actor Jung Jin-young said it perfectly -- I feel like Kim Yu-na right before her performance at the Winter Olympic Games,'' he said.

``As much as I want this work to be successful, I think I want to create a beautiful drama that will introduce traditional Korean culture to the world.''

Credits : Han Sang-hee, Staff Reporter (sanghee@koreatimes.co.kr)

Source : The Korea Times

March 24, 2010

Kim So-yeon attends "Princess Prosecutor" press conference

Photographer.Park Sung-Ki Editor.Jessica Kim

2010032415542511929_1.jpg

Actress Kim So-yeon [Park Sung-ki/Asia Economic Daily]

Actress Kim So-yeon poses during a photo session of a press conference for upcoming SBS TV series "Princess Prosecutor" held at the broadcaster's headquarters in Seoul, South Korea on March 23, 2010.

2010032415542511929_2.jpg

Actress Kim So-yeon [Park Sung-ki/Asia Economic Daily]

Photographer: Park Sung-Ki musictok@asiae.co.kr Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

"Princess Prosecutor" cast pose at press conference

2010032416005375708_1.jpg

Actresses Park Jung-ah, Kim So-yeon and Choi Song-hyun [Park Sung-ki/Asia Economic Daily]

From left, actresses Park Jung-ah, Kim So-yeon and Choi Song-hyun pose during a photo session of a press conference for upcoming SBS TV series "Princess Prosecutor" held at the broadcaster's headquarters in Seoul, South Korea on March 23, 2010.

2010032416045199277_2.jpg

Actors Han Jeong-su, Kim So-yeon and Park Shi-hoo [Park Sung-ki/Asia Economic Daily]

From left, actors Han Jeong-su, Kim So-yeon and Park Shi-hoo pose during a photo session of a press conference for upcoming SBS TV series "Princess Prosecutor" held at the broadcaster's headquarters in Seoul, South Korea on March 23, 2010.

Photographer: Park Sung-Ki musictok@asiae.co.kr Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

March 26, 2010

Lee Byunghun Named Best Asian Influential Actor

2010032600321_0.jpg

Lee Byung-hun

Actor Lee Byung-hun will receive the award for best Asian influential actor at this year's China Music Awards and Asian Influential Awards, his agency BH Entertainment announced on Thursday.

The awards are an upgraded version of the 14-year-old Channel V Chinese Music Awards, the agency said.

The awards ceremony will be held on Sunday at the Chengdu International Tennis Center in Sichuan Province. "The gala will be broadcast across the mainland and in 53 countries and territories including Hong Kong, Indonesia, Macau, Singapore and Taiwan," BH Entertainment said. "Coincidentally, Lee and actress Kim Tae-hee will be in China at the time for promotional events and interviews for the drama 'IRIS.'"

The hit Korean drama starring the two celebrities will soon be aired in China by Star TV.

Source: englishnews@english.chosun.com

Lee Byunghun named most influential Asian actor at CMA

Reporter.Ko Kyoung-seok Editor.Jessica Kim

20100326091518387c3_093211_0.jpg

Korean star Lee Byung-hun will be recognized as the most influential Asian artist at the China Music Award and Asia Influential Awards (CMA) to be held Sunday, according to his agency BH Entertainment.

Lee will be the first Korean actor to receive the prestigious award at the CMA co-sponsored by the Chengdu Foreign Cultural Exchange Association and mass media group Channel V. The event, now into its 14th year, will take place at the International Tennis Center located in the Sichuan region.

The awards ceremony will be broadcasted live in all of China and telecasted to 53 different countries including Hong Kong, Macao, Singapore, Indonesia and Taiwan. Other noteworthy mentions are Chinese actors Jet Li, Jay Chou and Donnie Yen who will receive the award for most influential Chinese actors.

Lee, who made his debut in 1991, has long been considered one of the most successful actors in Korea with dozens of television dramas and films under his belt. He had a particularly successful year in 2009, making his Hollywood debut in action flick "G.I. Joe" and co-starring with Josh Hartnett and Takuya Kimura in "I Come With The Rain."

He also led a star-studded cast in blockbuster drama "IRIS", for which he picked up the grand prize at KBS Acting Awards.

Reporter: Ko Kyoung-seok kave@asiae.co.kr Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

Guest mimerita

Hollywood Reporter, Mar 22, 2010

'Mother' tops Asian Film Awards

Bong Joon-ho's thriller named best film

By Jonathan Landreth

HONG KONG -- The spotlight shone bright on South Korea at the fourth Asian Film Awards in Hong Kong on Monday night, when director Bong Joon-ho led his countrymen in six wins with the best film award for his thriller "Mother."

The story of a mother who struggles to save her son from a murder accusation, also garnered Kim Hye-ja the award for best actress, and Bong and Park Eun-kyo the award for best screenwriter.

The star-studded event saw 14 awards handed out at the Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Center where veejay and model Lisa S. emceed the broadcast for ATV and FOX.

Lu Chuan of China was named best director for his Nanjing massacre drama "City of Life and Death," and the best actor award went to China's Wang Xueqi for his performance in "Bodyguards and Assassins."

No prizes went to Japan this year, a letdown after Japanese films took home five AFA prizes in 2009.

The 2010 AFA best newcomer award went to Ng Meng-hui for an appearance in "At the End of Daybreak," a South Korean co-production with Malaysia and Hong Kong that also garnered Wai Ying-hung the best supporting actress prize.

South Korean Yi Zeon-hyoung won the best visual effects award for work on "Thirst."

The inaugural best costume designer award -- presented by Donatella Versace -- went to the team of Christian Lacroix, Anne Dunnsford and Wang Chia-Hui for "Face."

The Lifetime Achievement Award was given to Indian acting and producing giant Amitabh Bachchan, and an award for Outstanding Contribution to Asian Cinema went to Chinese directing legend Zhang Yimou.

Bachchan has appeared in more than 100 movies in a career spanning four decades. His recent credits include "The Last Lear," "Sarkar Raj" and "Paa."

Zhang made his directorial debut in 1987 with "Red Sorghum," and is perhaps the best known of the Fifth Generation of Chinese film directors.

The Asian Film Award winners follow:

Best Film

"Mother" (South Korea)

Best Director

Lu Chuan, "City of Life and Death" (China)

Best Actor

Wang Xueqi, "Bodyguards and Assassins" (Hong Kong/China)

Best Actress

Kim Hye-ja, "Mother" (South Korea)

Best Newcomer

Ng Meng Hui, "At the End of Daybreak" (Malaysia/Hong Kong/South Korea)

Best Supporting Actor

Nicholas Tse, "Bodyguards and Assassins" (Hong Kong/China)

Best Supporting Actor

Wai Ying-hung, "At the End of Daybreak" (Malaysia/Hong Kong/South Korea)

Best Screenwriter

Parl Eun-kyo, Bong Joon-ho, "Mother" (South Korea)

Best Cinematographer

Cao Yu, "City of Life and Death" (China)

Best Production Designer

Alain-Pascal Housiaux, Patrick Dechesne/Lee Tian-Jue, "Face" (Taiwan)

Best Composer

Lo Ta-Yu, "Vengeance" (Hong Kong)

Best Editor

Lee Chatametikool, "Karaoke" (Malaysia)

Best Visual Effects

Yi Zeon-hyoung, "Thirst" (South Korea)

Best Costume Designer

Christian Lacroix, Anne Dunsford, Wang Chia-Hui, "Face" (Taiwan)

Special Awards:

Outstanding Contribution to Asian Cinema -- Zhang Yimou

The Asian Film Award for Lifetime Achievement -- Amitabh Bachchan

The Asian Film Award for 2009's Top-Grossing Film Director -- John Woo

Source: www.hollywoodreporter.com

---------------------------

March 23, 2010

Korea's "Mother", "Thirst" score wins at Asian Film Awards

Korean films "Mother" and "Thirst" scored multiple wins including the prize for Best Picture at the 4th Asian Film Awards held Monday at the Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre.

"Mother", helmed by noted Korean filmmaker Bong Joon-ho, claimed the top honor of the night, beating out five other Asian films including Hong Kong/China's "Bodyguards and Assassins" and Japan's "Parade."

The Korean director was also named Best Screenwriter for the critically acclaimed pic, which he co-wrote with Park Eun-kyo.

Veteran Korean actress Kim Hye-ja, who plays the mother in the film, added another Best Actress trophy under her belt for her portrayal of a mother who becomes obsessed over protecting her mentally challenged son, played by Hallyu star Won Bin. Kim has racked up several acting awards at numerous international film events for the role.

Park Chan-wook's thriller flick "Thirst", starring Song Kang-ho as a priest-turned-vampire, won the title for Best Visual Effects.

Korean films proved to be a dominant force at the Asian Film Awards this year, winning four trophies in major categories and scoring multiple nominations -- sometimes two in the same category -- including "Like You Know It All" for Best Screenwriter, "Thirst" for Best Cinematographer and Best Production Designer, "Running Turtle" for Best Composer and "Mother" for Best Editor and "The Sword with No Name" for Best Costume Designer.

Many Korean actors also scored nominations in various acting categories including Song Kang-ho for "Thirst", Won Bin for "Mother", Kim Sae-ron for "A Brand New Life" and Bae Doo-na for her lead role in Japanese film "Air Doll".

Asian Film Awards 2010 - List of Winners

▶ Best Picture: "Mother" (Korea)

▶ Best Director: Lu Chuan ("City of Life and Death", China)

▶ Best Actor: Wang Xueqi ("Bodyguards and Assassins", Hong Kong/China)

▶ Best Actress: Kim Hye-ja ("Mother", South Korea)

▶ Best Supporting Actor: Nicholas Tse ("Bodyguards and Assassins", Hong Kong/China)

▶ Best Supporting Actress: Wai Ying-hung ("At the End of Daybreak", Malaysia/Hong Kong/South Korea)

▶ Best Newcomer: Ng Meng Hui ("At the End of Daybreak", Malaysia/Hong Kong/South Korea)

▶ Best Screenwriter: Park Eun-kyo/Bong Joon-ho ("Mother", South Korea)

▶ Best Cinematographer: Cao Yu ("City of Life and Death", China)

▶ Best Production Designer: Alain-Pascal Housiaux, Patrick Dechesne, Lee Tian-Jue ("Face", Taiwan)

▶ Best Composer: Lo Ta-Yu ("Vengeance", Hong Kong)

▶ Best Editor: Lee Chatametikool ("Karaoke", Malaysia)

▶ Best Visual Effects: Yi Zeonhyoung ("Thirst", South Korea)

▶ Best Costume Designer: Christian Lacrois, Anne Dunsford, Wang Chia-Hui ("Face", Taiwan)

Reporter : Ko Kyoung-seok kave@asiae.co.kr

Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr

Source: http://10.asiae.co.kr

-------------------------------------

More related news

http://www.variety.com

http://online.wsj.com

www.reuters.com

http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr

http://world.kbs.co.kr

March 29, 2010

Choi Jin-young Dead in Apparent Suicide Monday

By Han Sang-hee

Staff Reporter

100329_p01_choi.jpg

The late actor Choi Jin-young

Singer and actor Choi Jin-young, the younger brother of Choi Jin-shil who killed herself in October 2008, was found dead Monday. An acquaintance of Choi said, "We heard the sad news from his family. We have yet to know the exact cause of his death.'' The latest death shocked the nation as it came one and a half years after the demise of his sister, one of South Korea's top stars.

tn_1269846242_506630574_0.jpg

Choi Jin-young, the brother of the late actress Choi Jin-shil, was found dead of an apparent suicide, Monday. He was 39.

Choi was reportedly discovered hanging by police at his home in southern Seoul. He was rushed to the Gangnam Severance Hospital, but pronounced dead on arrival. His death comes as a shock especially as his late sister, a popular actress, hung herself in a suicide Oct. 2, 2008.

Last month, he had said that he will go back to acting.

Choi started his acting career in 1993 in the popular drama "Our Heaven.'' His resemblance to his popular sister gave him a head start in his career, while his young image helped him gain recognition in various dramas, commercials and even films.

Choi's acting career floundered but in 1999, he returned to the stage as a singer using the name SKY. His first album ``Final Fantasy'' was a success with the popular number "Forever'' topping music charts. He released his third and last album in 2004. In 2007, he returned to acting with a supporting role in the drama "It's Okay to Love,'' but failed to catch much attention.

Photos of him in tears clutching his sister's picture shook the nation, and fans wept with him as he led her funeral procession. Acting upon his late sister's wishes, he belatedly enrolled in Hanyang University to study acting last year.

Credits: sanghee@koreatimes.co.kr / news.nate.com

Actress Choi Jin-sil's brother found dead

201003290022.jpg

Actor and singer Choi Jin-young, 39, who is a younger brother of the late actress Choi Jin-sil, was found dead on Monday at his home in Nonhyeon-dong, southern Seoul, police said.

His body has been taken to Gangnam Severance Hospital. The exact cause of his death remains unknown, according to hospital sources. "We received a report that he had hung himself. The 119 squad went in at 2:14 p.m. after receiving the report, so it looks like he died before that time," a police official said.

Police are conducting further investigation. No suicide note was found at the scene, according to police.

Choi is the brother of the late actress Choi Jin-sil who had committed suicide in October, 2008.

By Park Min-young (claire@heraldm.com) via koreaherald.co.kr

March 29, 2010

Kim Yun-jin weds movie producer in Hawaii

Reporter.Park So-yoen Editor.Lucia Hong

2010032914181007778_1.jpg

Korean actress Kim Yun-jin [Zion Entertainment]

Korean actress Kim Yun-jin married movie producer in a surprise wedding ceremony in Hawaii today, according to her agency Zion Entertainment. An official at Zion told Asia Economic Daily over the phone Monday that the actress "will hold a small wedding with only the bride and groom's immediate family in attendance."

The nuptials reportedly took place on a privately owned beach this morning around 8 a.m. (Seoul time) and the "Lost" actress did not even wear a wedding dress.

Kim and her husband, known only by last name Park, were said to have first met in 2002 as manager and client and grew close while Kim was working on her 2007 book [tentatively titled in English] "Kim Yun-jin's Hollywood Story." "My husband is a humorous and thoughtful person," the 37-year-old actress was quoted as saying. "I wanted to make once-in-a-lifetime memories quietly and start the beginning of a new life in Hawaii where we started dating."

The newlyweds will stay in Hawaii for their honeymoon and come to Korea next month, when Kim will begin future projects in the country. Kim is currently shooting the last season of the ABC hit series "Lost". Kim, who grew up in Staten Island, New York, rose to fame in 1999 when she starred in Korea's first blockbuster film "Swiri" as a North Korean spy.

In 2004, she became the first South Korean actress to make a breakthrough into the U.S. entertainment industry when she was cast as one of the main characters in the Emmy Award-winning drama "Lost."

Reporter: Park So-yoen muse@asiae.co.kr Editor: Lucia Hong luciahong@asiae.co.kr <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

March 30, 2010

Actress Kim Yun Jin Marries in Hawaii on March 28

7331_1012_l.jpg

Actress Kim Yun Jin married a man surnamed Park, a film producer, in Hawaii on March 28.

Kim’s agency delivered the announcement, “Kim Yun Jin has dated Park for three years since 2007 and finally decided to walk down the aisle with him. The wedding was held on a private beach and only family and a few acquaintances attended the quiet and simple ceremony.”

The agency quoted Kim’s words, “After having dated for three years, I am about to begin a new life with my partner who has been with me whenever I was happy and in trouble over eight years.”

The agency continued her quote, “I met him in 2002 and had known him as a colleague before we became close in 2007 when I had many conversations with him in order to write a book titled ‘The World is Your Drama.’ He is a humorous and kind person.”

Kim Yun Jin will own houses in both Seoul and Los Angeles and continue her acting while she travels to and from both locations. She is currently filming the sixth season of “Lost” and will go on a honeymoon to a nearby island and take a rest as soon as she finishes filming the drama.

Source: KBS Global

March 29, 2010

Brother of late actress Choi Jin-sil commits suicide

29165743.jpg

Choi Jin-young, the younger brother of late actress Choi Jin-sil, was found dead at his home yesterday after an apparent suicide, according to the Gangnam Police Precinct.

According Gangnam Police Precinct investigators, the 39-year-old Choi hanged himself in his apartment. His mother first found him and reported the incident to police and 119 rescue squad around 2:12 p.m. Choi was taken to Gangnam Severance Hospital for CPR treatment but was pronounced dead on arrival.

“No suicide note was found in Choi’s apartment,” an investigator with Gangnam Police Precinct said. “Some say he committed suicide after suffering depression, but that’s merely speculation. We’ll thoroughly investigate the case to determine exact cause of the death.”

An official at Mcloud Entertainment, the agency who represented Choi, said the agency is entirely shocked by the unexpected sad news. "There were no signs of Choi feeling bad recently," the official said. “Choi last month signed a contract with us to make comeback on local TV shows.”

In an interview earlier this month, Choi told reporters that he decided to resume his work because he wanted to be a proud uncle to his 10-year-old nephew and 8-year-old niece, whom he gained custody of after

his sister’s death 18 months ago.

The singer and actor's suicide rocked the country as it comes only a year-and-a-half after his sister took her own life. Choi Jin-sil was one of Korea's most beloved actresses before committing suicide at the age of 39, after suffering from depression.

She had reportedly been suffering extreme mental stress at that time amid widespread Internet rumors that linked her to actor Ahn Jae-hwan, 36, who also committed suicide in September 2008. The rumors had claimed that Choi had loaned the actor 2.5 billion won ($2.2 million). Ahn killed himself apparently under pressure after a series of failing businesses led to mounting debt.

By Kim Mi-ju [mijukim@joongang.co.kr] / joongangdaily.joins.com

March 30, 2010

Star Choi Jin-young Commits Suicide

2010033000515_0.jpg

Choi Jin-young Actor and singer Choi Jin-young was found dead in an apparent suicide at his home in Nonhyeon-dong, Seoul on Monday afternoon. He was 39. His elder sister Choi Jin-sil, a famous actress, also killed herself in October 2008.

According to the Seoul Gangnam Police Station, police officers went to Choi's home upon receiving a report at 2:14 p.m. and found him dead in the attic with an electric wire around his neck.

His body was found by his mother and a woman identified as Chung, who was his junior in college. When Choi did not answer the phone, Chung alerted Choi's mother and the two hurried to his home together.

Choi was declared dead at Yonsei University's Gangnam Severance Hospital around 2:46 p.m. "When he arrived, there was neither breathing activity nor heartbeat. We attempted CPR but there was no reaction,” the hospital said.

Police said they examined his body carefully but found no signs of foul play. A search of his home produced no suicide note. The family decided not to conduct an autopsy.

Choi had canceled engagements for more than a year since his sister's death. He signed with a new agency in January and announced plans on March 2 to resume activities in the first half of this year. He said he was doing it for his sister's son and daughter.

MCloud Entertainment said his approaching comeback placed Choi under a lot stress.

Choi, a dropout from Kyungwon College, recalled that his sister encouraged him to finish college so he entered Hanyang University to major in theater last year. But his friends said that he had suffered from depression and had his stomach pumped for a drug overdose last year.

Choi made his debut in 1988 and appeared in many soap operas. He also became a successful singer with the stage name SKY in 1999. His nephew and niece have reportedly not yet been informed of his death.

Credits: englishnews@chosun.com

Early Monday on the 29th, actor and singer Choi Jin-young committed suicide by hanging himself on the roof of his home with electric cables. Sources say that he was struggling with depression and heavy stress after the death of his sister, actress Choi Jin-shil, who had also committed suicide in October of 2008. He was reportedly staying home a lot, not engaging in many social meetings or get togethers. He was also reportedly taking tranquilizers to help him sleep at night.

Entertainment related sources have been saying that he was making plans to prepare for a comeback in film, tv, or musicals and thus his death came as a shock to many of them. However, those close to him said that Choi Jin-young had expressed struggles in returning to the acting world without the support of his sister whom he had been very close to during her lifetime. Arrangements have been made for him to be buried in the same cemetary as his sister in Yangpyeong of Gyeonggi Province.

There has been a lot of speculation revolving around the two children of Choi Jin-shil that were left under Choi Jin-young's custody. They are currently with a close friend of their late mother and reports have indicated that they will most likely remain under the care of Choi Jin-shil and Jin-young's mother and not their biological father, Cho Sung-min.

Source: KBS Global

Late actress Choi Jin-sil's actor brother commits suicide

Reporter.Park So-yoen Editor.Jessica Kim

2010033016311550187_1.jpg

Photograph of late singer and actor Choi Jin-young [Asia Economic Daily]

Choi Jin-young, the singer and actor brother of late actress Choi Jin-sil, was found dead at his home yesterday after having committed suicide, according to Gangnam Police Station.

An official with Gangnam police said Choi's friend from school, identified only by her last name Jung, discovered the 39-year-old celebrity hanging himself from a cord hung from his projector on the ceiling of his room on Tuesday afternoon. Paramedics arrived on scene after Jung and Choi's mother called the rescue squad but was found dead prior to his arrival at the hospital, the official said.

Police said they also presume depression led to Choi taking his own life. "Investigation on his family and acquaintances revealed that he had been depressed after his sister's death and had been taking medication despite his mother's wishes that he undergo medical therapy and treatment," the official explained. "He had also been agonizing over the fact that nothing in his life was going the right way -- he stopped going to school starting this year and was stressed he had no work," added the official.

Choi's older sister, was a household name in South Korea, enjoying a 20 year career until she was found dead in her home in October 2008. She too committed suicide after having suffered from depression.

Choi Jin-young had appeared in several dramas and films since making his debut in 1993 but made few noted appearances after 2000.

Reporter : Park So-yoen muse@asiae.co.kr Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

March 30, 2010

[PHOTO] Choi Ji-woo hands fan autograph at Shiseido event

2010033013163852888_1.jpg

2010033013252201017_1.jpg

2010033013283829405_1.jpg

Actress Choi Ji-woo [Park Sung-ki/Asia Economic Daily]

Actress Choi Ji-woo hands a fan an autograph at an event marking the launching of Japanese cosmetics brand Shiseido's new product 'White Lucent' held at Lotte Department Store in Seoul, South Korea on March 26, 2010.

Photographer: Park Sung-Ki musictok@asiae.co.kr Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 1 / 2 / 3

March 30, 2010

Kim Nam-gil to visit Japan for charity event next month

Reporter.Kang Seung-hun Editor.Lynn Kim

2010033011133464241_1.jpg

Korean actor Kim Nam-gil [Asia Economic Daily]

Korean actor Kim Nam-gil will be visiting Japan next month to appear at the 3rd "Korea-Japan Friendship Festa", according to his agency Star J. Entertainment on Tuesday. Star J. explained in a press release that the actor has recently decided to appear for free on the show, which celebrates the 45th years of normalization of diplomatic relations between the two countries.

Kim is scheduled to make his official visit to Japan for two days, starting April 17 where he attend a screening for MBC's hit traditional drama "Queen Seon-deok" and show up at a talk show in Tokyo where he will perform the song "Can't I Love You?", from the soundtrack for "Seon-deok."

The actor then plans to visit a welfare facility the following day to promote the image of Hallyu, or Korean wave.

"Korea-Japan Friendship Festa", held every April, is a charity event which is based on the friendship, trust and co-existence of the two countries and fosters charity activities through cultural exchange. Previous Korean celebrities who participated in the event include actors Choi Soo-jong and Song Il-gook. This year's show will focus in particular at contributing to well excavations and educational support for children in poverty-stricken areas in the Asia region.

Kim, 28, made his debut in 2003 and has appeared in notable dramas such as "Be Strong Geum Soon" (MBC, 2005), "Goodbye Solo" (KBS2, 2006) and "Lovers" (SBS, 2006). He became a household name last year playing the role of Bidam in MBC's historical drama "Queen Seon-deok" alongside top Korean actress Ko Hyun-jung.

He is currently shooting the upcoming SBS TV series "Bad Guy", which will premiere in May.

Reporter : Kang Seung-hun tarophine@asiae.co.kr Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

Archived