'Ninja' Opening Another Door to Hollywood for Rain

091208_p18_ninja.jpg

Rain poses upon arrival at Incheon

International Airport, Monday. The

actor of the action movie "Ninja

Assassin" said he was likely to

be cast in another Hollywood film.

/ Korea Times

Singer and actor Rain, who plays the title role as an orphan-turned-assassin in the movie "Ninja Assassin," said he was likely to be cast in another Hollywood film to be directed by a high-profile director.

Rain returned home on Monday evening, following four weeks of Asian tours and other promotional events for the action-packed movie. He was greeted by hundreds of his fans at Incheon International Airport.

In an interview in his van with the Hanook Ilbo, the sister paper of The Korea Times, Rain said the next film in which he will appear has almost been decided.

"The next film is likely to be a Hollywood film. What I can reveal for now is that it is a world-class project. A great director is likely to get together with the movie. I also expect my role to be significant," Rain said.

Asked whether he would play a leading role in the new film, he said, "That's not important. I wish it will be a character or movie that can publicize me more. It would be a big surprise to everybody if the casting is finalized."

Rain said that "Ninja Assassin" was faring well in North America. "I've heard that two-thirds of the production costs have been already retrieved in North America. I'm pleased that the work in which I took part in as an actor has bagged gains without suffering losses."

He said that the competition with the mega-hit Twilight series "New Moon" was "not an easy game" as his movie was rated R.

He said he was surprised that male adults were showing positive reactions to the movie in the U.S.

He also said that the head-flying, blood-splattering martial arts action flick was also attracting female viewers. "I've heard that there are more female fans than we expected earlier."

Rain thanked actress Megan Fox and other international stars for their positive comments about him. Asked whether he has heard of favorable remarks about him from Hollywood actresses, he said, "Yes, I've heard that. I have nothing else to say but `Thank you.'"

In an interview, Megan Fox said she wanted to have a date with him and that she could see herself falling in love with the South Korean.

Stressing that his "dream will come true," Rain said that he was committed to making his name appear on a No. 1 box office movie in the United States.

"I want to put my name on a movie that will become a No. 1 box office hit. I hope my fans will cheer for me up until that moment," he said. "I am trying to not lose the attitude I had when I debuted."

Credits : chojh@ koreatimes.co.kr

• Replies 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

December 07, 2009

The ninja's real ultimate power

If you read a manual such as "Bansenshukai," or "Sea of Myriad Rivers Merging," published in 1676 in Japan, you get to understand that the role of a ninja was something above that of an assassin or a special agent.

The book, which is a collection of ninja knowledge called ninjutsu that includes espionage techniques, martial arts and philosophy, traces the origin of the ninja as far back as Fu Xi, the first of the Three Sovereigns of ancient China in the mid-2800s B.C. There is also a theory that the fourth century Prince Yamato Takeru in the official Japanese history "Kojiki," or "Record of Ancient Matters," was the original ninja. He infiltrated the enemy camp disguising himself as a maid and killed two enemy generals.

But the masked ninjas, who are in the imagination of modern people, appear in the records of the 14th century. During the Warring States Period when the shoguns of each region fought against and killed each other, the ninjas were promoted to the status of professionals. The province of Iga and the adjacent region of Koga became famous for their excellent ninjas.

Even after unifying all the Japanese islands under its rule, the Tokugawa shogunate maintained a secrete ninja group called the Oniwabanshu, or the Guardians of the Garden. According to "Art of the Ninja" written by Peter Lewis, there is a record showing that the ninjas infiltrated an American military vessel and stole documents in 1853, when the American fleet under Commodore Matthew Perry berthed near the Japanese coastline to demand the shogun open its ports.

Although the colorful legends of the ninjas ended with the introduction of modern warfare, the image of ninjas revived as the flower of popular culture in the late 20th century in Japan. Films on the ninjas, while not shown in Korea because they represented Japanese culture, attracted, along with kung fu movies from Hong Kong, large number of viewers all over the world. People still talk about popular ninja stars such as Sonny Chiba in the 1970s and Sho Kosugi in the 1980s.

Recently, it came to our attention that ninja characters help Korean film idols' advancement into Hollywood. Korean director Shin Sang-ok accomplished a success by producing "Ninja Kid" with a small budget in 1995, and then he directed "3 Ninjas Knuckle Up," the third in that series, himself. Actor Lee Byung-hun played the role of a ninja in the Hollywood blockbuster "G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra." And, of course, Rain stars in "Ninja Assassin."

There are people who criticize the fact that Koreans only seem to play the role of ninjas, but it should be noted that some Japanese wonder why they should be robbed of ninja roles in Hollywood by Korean actors. As Puccini's opera "Madame Butterfly" helped sopranos of the East advance onto the world stage, the ninja characters in movies do the same for Korean actors.

The writer is the content director at JES Entertainment.

Credits : Song Weon-seop

Source : JoongAng daily

12-08-2009

Are Entertainment Programs in Trouble?

091208_p14_1(1).jpg

Members of "Infinite Challenge," one of the most popular weekend enterta-

inment programs airing on MBC. Jung Jun-ha, second from left, recently

came under criticism for his performance.

Entertainment programs dominate the small screen every day, but despite the interest and popularity, some shows are going through hard times.

Does their sheer abundance mean it's OK to make mistakes, or do the producers need to concentrate on not only following recent trends, but also consider fairness and the public good?

Reality or Fake

When comedian Jung Jun-ha refused to cooperate with a chef during a cooking session on the popular television show ``Infinity Challenge'' (MBC), the viewers had enough.

They posted their opinions on the program's Web site, some saying that they felt uncomfortable watching him argue with the professional who was there to help him, while others said it was the producer's fault to air the show without properly editing the scenes that may come across as discomforting.

Jung later expressed his apologies through the program, saying that he was sorry and he simply wanted to make the show more interesting.

``The personalities viewers see show just one side of the many characteristics the members have. They possess that faculty, so you can't say it's fiction or a lie,'' Kim Jae-hyuk, the producer of fellow entertainment show ``I Love Sunday'' (SBS) said, adding that the show simply extenuated their personality to come up with a distinctive character.

Another topic related to television shows that made headlines on numerous Internet search engines was the ``loser'' incident. Lee Do-kyung from Hongik University made a remark during KBS's talk show ``Chitchat of Beauties,'' saying that men under 180 centimeters are losers. Netizens who watched the show bombarded the Web page and the student's homepage after the remark.

The issue heated up as Lee explained on her homepage that she simply followed the script and that although she was not obliged to follow it, she was so nervous that she mostly followed the lines throughout the show. The script writers defended themselves, saying that although there was a script, the cast was not forced to follow it.

Having a script in these so-called ``reality programs'' may seem like faking, but producers have openly expressed the need.

``We need scripts to decide the boundaries of the character's activities. We write a script offering the basic framework, and the members move freely within that frame,'' Kim said.

091208_p14_2.jpg

A while ago, singer Kim Jong-guk and the makers of ``Family is Out'' (SBS) also appeared on the public's radar after Kim caught a red sea bream during a fishing shoot. Netizens complained that it was impossible for an amateur fisher to catch the fish and also that it was already dead when Kim took it out of the water. The producers did not comment nor offer an explanation.

``Having scripts is fine, I understand. But if that fish was really not caught by Kim, after the program showed how excited he was after catching it, then that's a lie,'' Han Soo-kyung, a viewer who watched the episode, said.

Entertainment and More

Many entertainment shows may have started small with the members playing games and challenging themselves in various situations, but some viewers have identified that they need something more than lame amusement.

``They are fun to watch and it's a good way to release stress, but that's it. It's like how they refer to television: the idiot box,'' Kim So-yeon, a regular viewer, said.

Thus, many programs have started to incorporate meaning into their shows.

``Infinity Challenge'' is a popular example, with the members helping with harvesting crops and making calendars to help underprivileged children and African families. Last year, the calendars they made raised about 2 billion won.

The newly reformed ``Sunday Night'' (MBC) also made headlines for its meaningful shows last week, including a global donation project ``Danbi'' and ``Our Father.'' During ``Danbi,'' the hosts flew to Africa to raise awareness of the shortage of clean water for children and women, while in ``Our Father,'' the hosts met Korean fathers who were doing their best to make ends meet for their families.

``Hunters,'' however, failed in its original premise before it even aired. As a piece under the umbrella of ``Sunday Night,'' the producers originally aimed at capturing, or ``hunting,'' hogs that were threatening villagers and their crops. But when animal lovers and organizations expressed their worries that the program was aimed at hunting down living animals, the broadcast was downsized into a show to heighten awareness.

KBS, a state-run network, came up with more specific guidelines. One of the articles the broadcaster enforces is their ``strike out rule.'' The rule states that when a host or guest uses inappropriate words or clauses three times, they must leave the program.

`` I think producers need to think about what is good for the public. There is no definite answer. The truth is that the role entertainment programs have these days has been elevated. It's now evident that these shows have a responsibility for their programs to their viewers and society,'' Jeong Deok-hyun, a culture critic and columnist, said.

Credits : Han Sang-hee (sanghee@koreatimes.co.kr)

Source : The Korea Times

12-08-2009

Novelist Accuses KBS TV Drama 'Iris' of Plagiarism

091208_p18_iris.jpg

KBS TV's espionage blockbuster

drama "Iris" has been embroiled in

allegations raised by novelist Park

Chul-ju who claimed the drama

scenario writer copied his novel.

Novelist Park Chul-ju has staged a legal battle against the producer of KBS TV's espionage drama, "Iris," claiming the blockbuster drama's scenario was copied from his novel.

In a suit filed with a Seoul court, Park, 42, accused the drama's writer of having plagiarized his novel "The Sun Never Rises on Mt. Fuji," saying 162 parts, including characters and key contents, are strikingly similar with his novel.

"Because of the plagiarism, I have sustained psychological damage and my plan to produce my novel into a drama has been disrupted," he said in the suit.

As to the similar content, he cited a North Korean nuclear weapon developer's seeking of asylum in the South and the attempt to detonate a nuclear weapon in central Seoul.

However, Taewon Entertainment, the producer of the drama, denied the allegation.

"We are going to strongly react to the allegations. We will file a counter defamation suit," a Taewon official said.

The Wednesday/Thursday evening drama has enjoyed rising viewer numbers, with last week's rating posting 35 percent.

Actors Lee Byung-hun, Kim Tae-hee and Kim So-yeon star in the 20-episode drama.

December 07, 2009

Novelist sues "Iris" producers

Park Chul-su, Korean writer of spy stories including the novel "The Sun Doesn't Rise on Mount Fuji" has filed a plagiarism lawsuit against the production company of the popular KBS 2TV drama "Iris," Taewon Entertainment.

The novelist said the show took 162 specific plot points from his novel. Park said he had planned to make his novel into a TV series, also claimed that he had experienced mental distress as a result of the alleged theft.

Source : JoongAng Daily

Han Ye-seul meets with "Twilight" producer

2009120817002477763_1.jpg

Actress Han Ye-seul [Asia Economic Daily]

Top South Korean actress Han Ye-seul was belatedly known to have met with Hollywood producer Mark Morgan of "The Twilight Saga" series during his recent visit to Korea.

"The two met in Seoul and it is our understanding that Morgan did not meet with any other actresses during his visit," an official at Han's agency SidusHQ said on Tuesday.

The official refrained from answering whether there is a chance the actress could make an appearance in the next "Twilight" series but gave a positive response when asked if the issue could be regarded in a positive light. "Nothing has been set but we had a good conversation with Morgan," the official explained.

The meeting between Han and Morgan has also raised speculation that the actress may appear in the Hollywood remake of Korean horror flick "Phone". Morgan, founder of his own production company Imprint Entertainment, had been in Korea last week to attend a press conference announcing the remake which his company would take part in.

Ahn Byung-ki, who helmed the original version of "Phone" and has also been set to act as the director for the remake, had announced that it is highly likely a Korean actress will be cast for the Hollywood version.

Han, 28, is currently one of South Korea's most popular actresses who was born and raised in the United States before moving to Korea where she debuted as a supermodel in 2001.

She has appeared in several dramas and movie "Miss Gold Digger" for which she took the prize for best new actress in 2008 at Korea's major film awards, the Blue Dragon Film Awards and Daejong Film Awards. She currently stars in SBS TV series "Will It Snow for Christmas" alongside actor Ko Soo.

Reporter : Kang Seung-hun tarophine@asiae.co.kr

Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr

<ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved>

12-09-2009

Actor Bae Sues Travel Agency

5610_2.jpg

Bae Yong-joon / photo from Innolife.net

Actor Bae Yong-joon has sued a domestic travel agency for unapproved use of his photo for commercial purposes and violation of his privacy, a court said Tuesday.

According to the Seoul Central District Court, the 37-year-old actor, who is better known in Japan by his nickname "Yonsama," filed a suit against a Korean travel agency, Seoul Nabi, demanding 100 million won in compensation.

In a statement, Bae said the agency designed a travel product, whose itinerary includes stops at a coffee shop, beauty salon and other facilities where he frequently visits, and used his photo on its Web site without approval to promote the products.

"It significantly restricted my freedom in private life," the actor said in the statement. "The agency did not keep its promise that it would stop running the program."

12-09-2009

'Queen Seondeok' to Become Musical

091208_p15_b1.jpg

A stage design for the musical that will go on stage from Jan. 5 to 31 at Woori

Art Hall in Olympic Park, southern Seoul / Courtesy of MBC

Queen Seondeok seems to reign not only on the small screen but also on stage. The popular TV series "The Great Queen Seondeok" will be adapted into a stage version next year, featuring veteran musical actors and stage artists.

091208_p15_b2.jpg

The musical will team up top musical actress Lee So-jung and rising star Kang Tae-eul with world-renowned designer Lie Sang-bong, who will create the stage costumes.

The tale of Korea's first queen will incorporate modern technology and dramatic twists.

Born as one of the twin princesses of the Silla Kingdom (668-935), Queen Seondeok was its first female ruler. Seondeok grows up as a bright young woman. But her life takes a turn as Mishil, her archrival, wants to seize power.

Seondeok was not only well known as the first queen to rule, but also for her leadership and use of power. She also contributed to the forming of the rich culture of Silla and laid the foundation for the unification of the Three Kingdoms.

Lee, who was the first Korean actress to make her debut on Broadway, will play Queen Seondeok. She also contributed to the series' soundtrack. Born and raised in Korea, Lee moved to the United States to study and became prominent on Broadway after being selected by British musical producer Sir. Cameron Mackintosh as the star of the mega hit "Miss Saigon."

Cha Ji-yeon has been cast as the role of Mishil for her charismatic image and talented vocals. She has previously starred in "Lion King," Dreamgirls," "Maria, Maria" and "See What I Wanna See."

For the role of Seondeok's loyal lover and Mishil's secret son Bidam, musical heartthrob Kang will perform. The rising star is one of the most sought-after actors among musical producers. Kang has performed in "Hedwig, the Angry Inch," "Don Juan," "Cats," "The Lion King" and "Jesus Christ Super Star."

The musical version of "Queen Seondeok" will feature creative costume designs by Lie, which will be marked by a neo-classic style based on traditional Silla clothes. He will also add futurist elements into the costume designs.

Historical relics such as "cheomseongdae," or an astronomy observatory, will be reborn in its modern-day manifestation. The observatory will be comprised of a tower made up of LED screens.

"It's the first time to use this kind of the state-of-the-art technology on stage. The musical is not just an epic show but a modern rendition," said Lee Soo-hyun, a staff member of an MBC musical task force team.

She also said that not only the stage sets but also the musical numbers had modern elements, ranging from rock to ballads. The musical features 28 songs, including four from the drama's soundtrack numbers, and its ensemble is expected to provide perfect accompaniment.

The musical will be on stage from Jan. 5 to 31 at Woori Art Hall in Olympic Park, southern Seoul. Tickets cost from 40,000 to 130,000 won.

Credits : Chung Ah-young (chungay@koreatimes.co.kr)

Interview with the new actor in sitcom "High Kick 2"

2009120814470875541_1.jpg

Actor Yoon Si-yoon [Lee Jin-hyuk/10Asia]

My name is Yoon Si-yoon. My name was Yoon Dong-goo till high school but I had my name changed when I entered college. My agency had recommended it at the time and I'm glad I can be an actor with a nice name. I also think my old name was nice enough too. Dong-goo. How cute is that!

I was born on September 26, 1986 I had read an article which said I'm the same age as Daniel Choi from "High Kick 2" and Daniel comforted me by saying that people make fun of him because he looks too young. Hahaha. I would never get hurt by such articles with a friend like him by my side.

I actually don't smoke or drink. I'll barely take a sip when I'm out with people who are drinking and I never learned to smoke. The reason is simple. My mom really hated it but she kept me from smoking by expressing her trust in me. She would say, "My son would never learn to smoke, right?" which is even scarier than being told not to upfront. She had huge faith in me because I'm an only child. I also thank her a lot for always trusting in me through the hard times I had before my debut.

2009120816242205581_1.jpg

I came to Seoul when I was in middle school. Before, I had lived in Suncheon of Jeolla Province with my grandparents and I still take a bus to Suncheon alone when I'm having a hard time. I sometimes get there hours past midnight because it's so far away. My Jeolla dialect comes out so naturally when I meet my friends there. Haha.

Because my grandmother raised me when I was young, I used to go to church when everyone else my age went to learn English at institutes. I even learned how to read and write Chinese characters. I used to be good back when I was young then but I've forgotten it now. All of it!

I heard rumors saying that I've already completed mandatory military service but I've never been to the army. I think people thought I might have since I'm a new actor but I'm not young. Just to make it clear, I will pursue my acting career actively and go to the army when the time comes. Haha.

Before my debut, I appeared on a TV show where stars introduce their friends on the show. I became good friends with FT Island member Lee Hong-ki through a songwriter I got to know through another acquaintance. I made an appearance on the show by chance and I had been preparing to make my acting debut although I did not have any concrete plans back then.

2009120816263115489_2.jpg

The first time I ever acted was in church when I was young. I played the role of sheep number three in a play and I did it excellently. Hahaha. I was cast for the role quite unexpectedly while playing in the playground so I hadn't had any time to rehearse.

I have been worried over my looks which are neither that of a student nor an adult. I've made different attempts such as growing out a moustache but it just didn't suit me. And people had never told me that I look young for my age so you can see how great of a producer Kim Byung-wook is. That's how well he did at creating my character in "High Kick 2".

Some people say that the script for "High Kick 2" comes out too late. The revised script actually comes out very early. But producer Kim reads the entire script everytime to make change each character's way of speech. They're very subtle changes but when I read the final version of the script, I'm surprised at how well the lines are laid out in the way my character would say them. He really looks at the script in detail so can do our best at acting them.

I'm always wearing my school uniform in the sitcom so I've been trying to change things up in my own way. One day, I'll leave the shirt out, another day I'll tuck it in. You didn't notice? Hahaha.

Hae-ri is like the child version of Sul Kyoung-gu.She's usually like a complete baby. She's girlish and will assume a prim air. But the moment she goes into shoot, she'll stop everything else and pull off her part perfectly. Both Hae-ri and Shin-ae are naturally gifted but have an even greater sense of professionalism.

2009120816263115489_4.jpg

On set, actor Lee Soon-jae himself sometimes will come up to me and point out the parts I lack at. I'm not the friendly type so I'm not good at talking to adults and the fact that Lee is regarded almost the king of actors made it even more difficult for me to talk to him so I'm very grateful that he approached me first. He was originally a professor so he points out things very accurately.

I like reading books. It helps a lot to find out about the minds of people who are as successful as President Barack Obama. I'm hoping that if I keep watching these great people, I will be able to become closer to who they are little by little and be influenced by them someday. I also really like books written by Buddhist monk Beop Jeong and U Simin so I read most of their books too.

Actors Choi Min-sik, Kim Myung-min and singer-actor Rain are my role models. They put in an extreme amount of effort into the roles they take on -- to an extent it'll seem harsh -- but that's what I want to learn from them. I currently don't have as much tenacity as them but I think being an actor is about really becoming your role. If I was ever cast for a part for which I have to lose 20 kilograms, I think it would be possible if I really became that person. I once shot a scene for a music video where I go into water to commit suicide. The scuba diving instructor told me not to worry because no matter how good of a physique one may have, actors manage to learn how to sink much quickly than people with other jobs. Actors can do everything. That's the thought that is deeply embedded in my mind right now. Why make an effort to like Se-gyeong in "High Kick 2" just because it's what is written in the script? If I actually become my character Joon-hyuk, I will really end up liking her.

Reporter : Yoon Hee-Seong nine@10asia.co.kr

Photographer : Lee Jin-hyuk eleven@10asia.co.kr

Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr, Jang Kyung-Jin three@10asia.co.kr

December 08, 2009

An ‘Eclipse’ for Han Ye-seul?

08195901.jpg

Actress Han Ye-seul

The management agency of actress Han Ye-seul recently confirmed that she met with Hollywood producer Michael Becker and Mark Morgan, CEO of Imprint Entertainment, the production company behind the “Twilight” film and the recent sequel, “New Moon.” The meeting was arranged at the request of the U.S.-based company.

Han is a Korean-American who grew up in California and is one of the few Korean actresses who is essentially a native English speaker. Her ability to speak English fluently may lead to consideration for a role in the third installment to the series, “Eclipse,” her agency said.

Source : JoongAng Daily

Dec.04, 2009

Seven Days writer takes helm for Secret

Scenario writer YOON Jae-gu makes his feature film directorial debut with Secret. YOON stays in familiar territory and wrote another inventive thriller which he directed himself this time.

YOON told journalists that Seven and Secret are intended to be the first two films of a four films series revolving around the theme 'saving'.

CHA Seung-won plays a police detective in Secret who will try to save his wife (SONG Yun-a). She is the likely perpetrator in the murder case he is investigating.

In Seven Days, Lost actress KIM Yun-jin tries to save her daughter from her kidnappers. The future two films of the saving series will deal with saving a friend and saving the earth.

CHA is an inspired choice for the conflicted detective considering his latest roles in Blood Rain, My Son, and Eye for an Eye. He originally started out in comic roles in his early career like My Teacher, Mr. Kim. SONG was previously seen in Face and Arang.

Thriller fans will be in for a treat from 3 December when Secret will hold cinemas captive.

Credits : Yi Ch'ang-ho (KOFIC)

Dec.04, 2009

Breathless Wins Again

YANG Ik-june’s Breathless has won again at yet another international film event. This time, it took the top prize, just over the East Sea from Korea, at the 10th Tokyo Filmex. Filmex established in 2000 is an international film festival that specializes in emerging Asian directors, Japanese heritage films and also runs a concurrent Korean Film Showcase. Taking the Grand Prize at Filmex tops a year full of wins for Breathless including those at Rotterdam, Vladivostok International Film Festival and the Fantastic Fest 2009. It has also played at the Barcelona Asian Film Festival, the Deauville Asian Film festival and the Reel Asian Film Festival in Toronto.

Released in April of this year, the film stars its director YANG Ik-june who has proved to be as much of an attraction as the film itself. This played out in Tokyo when, at the awards ceremony, a comic video message of thanks from the young director was shown. In the film, YANG plays a foul mouthed, gangster like debt collector who meets a young, equally troubled school girl.

As well as the award the film won $11,560 or just over 13,000,000 Korean won in prize money.

Credits : David Oxenbridge (KOFIC)

Dec. 04, 2009

Pre AFM Success for Film Version of TV Hit IRIS

Iris, the film version of the TV show currently taking Korea by storm has had commiserate success pre selling to a number of territories ahead of this year’s AFM. Staring the rapidly ascending international star LEE Byung-hun, the TV version is currently garnering ratings of more than 30%. The show itself is also about to play in Japan and other Asian countries. The new sales come amongst a successful Korean film industry year that for some harkens back to the days of the Korean Wave when films like My Sassy Girl (2001) put Korean pop culture on the map for much of the world. More recent success was evident with the titanic Haeundae, which sold to a number of territories overseas and broke box office records domestically. Other Korean actors like Gianna JUN have been seen in international productions, directors such as KIM Jee-woon are directing international productions and the International Film Festival of Marrakech will play 44 Korean films as part of a Korean film retrospective'

Both the series and the film version are produced by Taewon Entertainment the company behind the successful Marrying the Mafia series (2004, 05, 06) and the China co-production Three Kingdoms – Resurrection of the Dragon (2007). Sales agent Finecut, sold the film to China’s Mega Films who also distributed the successful 200 Pounds of Beauty (2006) there. German-speaking Europe is being handled by indie film distribution company MFA+ and Visicom Surya will take care of Singapore and Malaysia.

The film and the series success may be due in part to LEE Byung-hun who almost constitutes a mini international Korean wave all by himself . The actor is quickly rising up the international stardom ladder fresh from appearing in international film I Come with the Rain and blockbuster GI Joe. He is slated to appear in GI Joe 2 which is to start filming this year.

Credits : David Oxenbridge (KOFIC)

Ku Hye-sun voted Asian Female Artist by Yahoo! Taiwan

2009120910385243329_1.jpg

Korean actress Koo Hye-sun [Asia Economic Daily]

Korean actress Ku Hye-sun has been voted the biggest Asian star in Taiwan at the 2009 Yahoo! Asia Buzz Awards, according to a report by Yahoo! Taiwan.

The Yahoo! Buzz Awards, into its sixth year, selects winners based on the "buzz", or number of searches, a star has received on Internet portal site Yahoo!. Ku, who was one of the most searched celebrities in Taiwan, took the title of "Asian Female Artist".

The 25-year-old actress had originally planned to debut as a singer with South Korea's major talent agency YG Entertainment but she started acting in several TV dramas and made a breakthrough with a role in 2006 KBS TV series "Pure in Heart".

She then became a household name throughout Asia after starring in the mega-hit KBS drama "Boys Over Flowers" as Geum Jan-di earlier this year. Ku is also a talented singer and songwriter, artist, novelist, scriptwriter and an aspiring director.

Ku is scheduled to attend the Yahoo! Buzz Awards ceremony in Taiwan on December 11.

Reporter : Yun Tae-hui th20022@asiae.co.kr

Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr

Dec.09, 2009

Ku Hye-sun Named Best Asian Actress in Taiwan

2009120900605_0.jpg

Ku Hye-sun

Ku Hye-sun was voted the best Asian actress by users of Yahoo! Taiwan in the 2009 Yahoo! Asia Buzz awards. The Korean entertainer was one of the most searched-for stars by Taiwanese netizens, and she topped the list of Asian female celebrities.

Her popularity is largely due to the success of her drama, "Boys Over Flowers," which aired in Korea in January on KBS 2TV, and was a smash hit at home and in Taiwan.

Voting for the Yahoo! Asia Buzz awards, now in its sixth year, takes place in each country in Asia simultaneously.

A versatile entertainer who has also written a book and directed a short film, Ku will leave for Taiwan on Thursday to attend the awards ceremony held on Friday.

Credits : englishnews@chosun.com

2009-12-09

'Actress' Reveals Real-life Personalities of Top Actresses

Scenes from the movie "Actress," which stars Yoon Yeo-jung, Lee Mi-sook, Ko Hyun-jung, Choi Ji-woo, Kim Min-hee and Kim Ok-bin, have drawn viewers' attention with their true-to-life portrayals of the actresses' lives. Sometimes it is even hard to tell the difference between fiction and reality.

Ko Hyun-jung says actresses cannot always pretend to be on good terms with one another because reality is very different. Here's what these top actresses had to say about their lives in accounts that were sometimes amusing and sometimes moving.

7224_651_l.jpg

◇ Generation gap

Kim Ok-bin, who is the youngest, waits in her car when she arrives at the film set early. When Yoon Ye-jung arrives, she calls her "Master Yeo Un-gye." When Yoon Yeo-jung mentions her drama "Chang Hee-bin," Kim Ok-bin asks her what role she played in it. When the two meet in the hall and Yoon Yeo-jung is smoking, Kim Ok-bin asks for her permission to smoke together. Yoon allows her to join her and scolds her for not smoking correctly.

7224_652_l.jpg

◇War of nerves

The shoot cannot resume because Choi Ji-woo is late. Ko Hyun-jung says scornfully, "People like that are always late because they think they're divas." She keeps picking a fight with Choi Ji-woo while holding a glass of liquor. She asks the reporter, "Is there anything for you to write about? Nothing. You will only get to write something when we're honest."

Choi Ji-woo gets a call from Yoo Ho-jung, her friend, and goes to the restroom to confront Ko, saying "What gives you the right to talk to me that way?" In response, Ko stands up slowly and says, "Hey, is there anything wrong with that? I'm your senior here." The two start raising their voices. Choi Ji-woo ends up muttering, "That's why you were kicked out."

7224_653_l.jpg

◇What's on their mind?

The actresses gather for a few drinks. When Ko leaves the room for a moment, Choi begins to complain about her. Lee Mi-sook says, "She's like that because the Korean Wave is wrong." Ko asks each actress to name her rival. The responses vary: "I want to beat Lee Young-ae." "I want to be better than Hye-soo." "At the screening of 'Some Like It Hot' there were so many fans of So-hee. It made me feel bad" (Kim Min-hee). "It's not jealousy. It's shame" (Yoon Yeo-jung).

"My rival was Young-ae. I wanted to be popular in China. I envy Hye-gyo for that" (Choi Ji-woo).

7224_654_l.jpg

◇Pain

Lee Mi-sook and Ko Hyun-jung meet for the first time since running into each other at a beauty salon shortly after Ko was married. "Back then, she told me not to lose heart and to be confident with my in-laws" (Ko Hyun-jung).

Lee Mi-sook, Ko Hyun-jung and Yoon Ye-jung, who appeared in the same drama, gather in the restroom. Yoon figures out that the three were born in the year of the pig, given the 12-year age differences. "We have one more thing in common. We're all divorced" (Ko Hyun-jung).

Ko is scolded for being too talkative. She responds, "I wasn't like that before I got divorced."

"Because people were gossiping about her after her divorce, I told her that she was like Jesus. She had to suspend her career for 2-3 years. Divorce is like a scarlet letter. She was dumped, but since she kept silent, her ex-in-laws placed the blame on her. When she complained, Kim Soo-hyun told her that it was better to say that she had dumped that ugly guy than that she had been dumped by him" (Yoon Yeo-jung).

Hearing those words, Lee Mi-sook hides her tears. Ko Hyun-jung starts crying.

"People still think that divorce is a big sin. People will probably scorn us for saying this. They think that the whole world is ours" (Ko Hyun-jung).

"Living as an actress in Korea is not easy" (Lee Mi-sook).

"Sometimes we are humiliated simply because we are actresses" (Choi Ji-woo).

"It's very cruel" (Ko Hyun-jung).

Source : KBS Global

Agency sues Kim Bum for 500 mln won

2009120911344284063_1.jpg

Actor Kim Bum [Asia Economic Daily]

Actor Kim Bum has been sued 500 million won, equivalent to nearly 430,000 dollars, by his former agency on charges of violating his working contract.

I Entertainment submitted a written complaint to court on Monday, claiming that Kim cut off all communication before his contract ended with them and started working with another manager.

I Entertainment also demanded compensation worth 160 million won and 36 million won from actress Lee Chung-ah and actor Yoo Yeon-seok, respectively, accusing them of the same charges.

The full complaint requested for compensation worth over 1.14 billion won from all former employees, including actors and staff, of I Entertainment.

Kim, 20, first gained popularity through MBC sitcom "High Kick" in 2006. He shot to stardom early this year through KBS TV series "Boys Over Flowers" based on a 37-volume Japanese comic series.

Reporter : Kang Seung-hun tarophine@asiae.co.kr

Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr

Actor Cha Tae-hyun meets with fans in Vietnam

2009120915023701653_1.jpg

Korean actor Cha Tae-hyun [sidus HQ]

Korean actor Cha Tae-hyun met with his Vietnamese fans during the promotional tour for film "Speedy Scandal" over the weekend, according to his agency Sidus HQ.

The actor, who visited Vietnam to promote the hit movie was greeted by some 800 enthused fans at the airport on December 6.

The following day, the actor attended a press conference at Lotte Cinema Vietnam which was covered by numerous Vietnamese media outlets.

"I didn't know I was so popular in Vietnam, I was really surprised," the Korean actor was quoted as saying. "And I found out that I had a fan club here, so I'm very glad and truly grateful."

2009120915023701653_2.jpg

Fans greet Hallyu star Cha Tae-hyun in Vietnam [sidus HQ]

An official at Lotte Cinema explained that Cha has a lot of local fans due to the success of his movies "My Sassy Girl"(2001) and "Lovers' Concerto"(2002). He went on to add that he has high expectations for the film "Scandal", which recently opened in Vietnam.

The 33-year-old actor and singer has appeared in numerous television dramas and movies since his debut in 1995. He is best known for playing the role of Gyeon-woo opposite top Korean actress Jun Ji-hyun in "My Sassy Girl", which spawned a Hollywood remake in 2008.

"Speedy Scandal", released in Korea in December 2008, topped the Korean box office on its opening weekend and drew over 3.8 million viewers.

Reporter : Lim Hye-seon <lhsro@asiae.co.kr>

Editor : Lynn Kim <lynn2878@asiae.co.kr>

Yoona's Dreamboat

091209_pm_yoona.jpg

Yoona

Yoona, a member of the girl group Girls' Generation, Tuesday said her ideal type of man was Takuya Kimura, a Japanese entertainer.

During a KBS talk show, Yoona said she was very grateful when many South Korean entertainers picked her as their dreamboat. "I was especially glad when singer Lee Seung-gi pinpointed me. But my ideal type is Japan's Takuya Kimura.''

Kimura, a Japanese actor, is a member of Japan's idol group SMAP. He is one of the most well-known entertainers in Asia as well as in Japan.

Yoona, 19, aroused laughter, saying, "I don't have Kimura's telephone number. Is there anyone who can introduce him to me?''

She drew attention by admitting during the show that she was the most beautiful girl group member in South Korea.

Credits : sahds@koreatimes.co.kr

'Thirst' makes Time's top 10 of 2009

200912090043.jpg

Korean film director Park Chan-wook's "Thirst" was named one of the top 10 movies of the year by American news weekly Time. On this week's issue, Time charted the highs and lows of the past year in 50 wide-ranging lists, titled "Top 10 Everything of 2009," of which, Park Chan-wook found his latest creation "Thirst" in the "Top 10 Movies of 2009."

Focusing on female protagonist Kim Ok-vin, the review highlighted Kim as an "acting revelation," evolving from "a creature of mute docility to one of desperate ardor, then explosive eroticism, then murderous intent."

"She is Lady Chatterley and Lady Macbeth in one smoldering package," the review said.

Animated features hogged the first three places, with John Musker and Ron Clements' hand-drawn (2-D) "The Princess and the Frog" in first, followed by Pixar's latest 3-D "Up" and Wes Anderson's "Fantastic Mr. Fox." Katherine Bigelow's action addressing the Iraq war "The Hurt Locker" was named fourth, whilst Jason Reitman's romantic comedy "Up in the Air" came in fifth.

Credits : jyan2787@googlemail.com

Source : The Korea Herald

[iNTERVIEW]

Ko Hyun-joung - Part 1

2009120914422349466_1.jpg

Actress Ko Hyun-joung [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

Two unforgettable roles -- Hye-rin in 1995 mega-hit TV series "Sandglass" and Mi-shil in MBC's "Queen Seon-deok" this year -- throned Ko Hyun-joung as the actress with the strongest presence in the history South Korean TV dramas. 10Asia met with the actress who recently starred in film "Actresses", in which Ko and several other top actresses play characters based on their true selves.

10: It has been five years since you made a comeback to the screen in 2005 with SBS TV series "Spring Days" but it seems you've finally really told the world 'Ko Hyun-joung is back' with your recent role in MBC drama "Queen Seon-deok". Had you expected to see such success when you first made a comeback five years ago?

Ko Hyun-joung (Ko): Of course not. How would I, when I don't even know what lies ahead for me tomorrow. What I've learned about life so far is that nothing works out as planned. And I think dealing with people is the most difficult task of all -- I just hope that I won't be misunderstood. When I first made my comeback, I think I was under the pressure that I had to do something... anything. I couldn't just stay put at home without any work. But it wasn't like there was anything else I knew how to do other than acting. I was very scared and my future seemed bleak back then but I realized at one point that I'm not doing acting to fulfill a certain huge greed of mine so I decided to go through the process of being scolded for what I've done wrong.

10: It seems that you did not hesitate to venture in choosing your roles since making a comeback. You starred in director Hong Sang-soo's film, in MBC's detective drama "Hit" and also took on a historical drama for the first time with "Queen Seon-deok". You continuously expanded your realm of acting but this could have not been planned.

Ko: I think that's why "Magazine t" picked me as one of the top players of 2006 but I definitely didn't plan on anything. Like I said, in life, things don't work out according to plan.

10: You said you weren't the main character in "Queen Seon-deok" but you ended up becoming the representative character of the drama. Had you predicted that your character would be such a hit?

Ko: How could have I? I don't go on the Internet often and I don't look up people's responses so I actually really known about the response when I was in shooting.

10: Then what do you take into consideration in choosing a role?

Ko: I ask the director who he would ask to take on the role if I didn't do it.

10: Is that an expression of your confidence? (laugh)

Ko: No. (laugh) Taking on a role is not about how confident your are or how well you convey your thoughts to the director. It's a job you promise to take on for several months alongside many others while spending all day and all night in shoot. Other actors probably feel this way too but in my case, I believe I'm 50 percent responsible for the film or drama. As long as the director sets me on the right direction, I'll take on a new role thinking that I'll do my best within my capability, whether it ends up being a success or failure. And when it does well, even better.

10: You've only taken on experimental or charismatic roles since "Spring Days". Do you have thoughts of going back to acting in traditional love stories?

Ko: I think I'm waiting for the right timing to. And even if I do take on romance, I don't want my acting to be too sweet. I know it'll end up seeming sweet because I have a sweet-looking face but at least with my acting.

10: In "Actresses", it seems a strong hierarchy exists in the world of actresses. Have you ever fought with another actress in real life like you did with Choi Ji-woo in "Actresses"?

Ko: I'm the type that gets scolded or will scold rather than fight with someone. (laugh) I scold actors for various reasons and although grown-ups these days tend not to scold younger actors, I'm the type that will have more to say the more I care for them.

10: Then what are your thoughts of younger actors these days?

Ko: I envy them... the fact that they're better 'well-made' than I was when I debuted. Back in the days, my mom drove for me and I did my own make-up but conditions have improved now. I also envy their courage and determination.

10: Do you think you had lacked in courage and determination?

Ko: During the earlier years of my career -- from 1989 to 1991 -- I think everyone was under the conception that they have to seem like a 'good person'. What people thought of you more important than your individual character, the same applied for relationships between older and younger actors and you had to go to school even if you were in shooting for a film or drama. We didn't have managers either so we had do deal with everyone directly. We lived in pretty primitive ages.

Reporter : Choi Ji-Eun five@10asia.co.kr

Photographer : Chae ki-won ten@10asia.co.kr

Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr, Lee Ji-Hye seven@10asia.co.kr

2009-12-09

[iNTERVIEW]

Ko Hyun-joung - Part 2

2009120916201536751_1.jpg

You were chosen as the celebrity with the best skin in 1993 and you hold the title even till today. What's your secret?

Ko Hyun-joung (Ko): It's so difficult. I'm practically dying. But I can't give up on it. (laugh) It doesn't improve on its own. I go to the dermatologist and get regular checkups. What I can say to you though is I'm a bit luckier in the sense that my skin is better than the effort I put into it. I don't have breakouts or anything. But that doesn't mean I can stop trying. Like I've said before, I put in the effort in my daily life too such as not turning on the heater in the car during winter to help my skin avoid minute dust or from getting dry. It's our job as actors to put in certain efforts since our work is aimed for viewing by the public. And I actually don't look at the mirror often. I try and win people over with my acting. (laugh) I'll try to make my eyes sparkle more so people will notice my skin less.

The acting you did with your eyebrows in TV series "Queen Seon-deok" became a sensation. Did you practice it?

Ko: To tell the truth, the hair piece I was wearing was so heavy that it kept tilting forward so I was actually trying to put it back into place by moving my eyebrows. Some people asked if I practiced in front of a mirror but it doesn't come with practice and you don't know from which angle which camera will be shooting you.

During the many years you've spent being an actress, have you thought of what the identity of an 'actress' is versus a male actor? And if you have, what do you think it is?

Ko: Well, I don't think there is any difference because I'm a woman. I just feel sorry for all actors including myself because while there are many advantages to the job, there are also moments when an actor has to go under disguise and make their body fit into a certain costume or attire. I tend to have my wardrobe fit for me because I don't know why I should not be able to eat what I want to be able to fit myself into such clothes. But of course, there have been times when I have had to bear with it... making myself skinnier to fit myself into a clothing while carrying around medication for anemia. I guess you could say it's a characteristic of this job.

10: "Actresses" was invited to compete in the Panorama category of the Berlin Film Festival. Do you have the desire to attend these international film fests?

Ko: Not really. To me, the director, staff and people around me are much more important. What's the use of stepping on a red carpet overseas?

10: What about receiving MBC's award for best actress?

Ko: Not really that either. It's actually a better deal for MBC isn't it? (laugh) I'm already receiving enough love from fans and I have shot a lot of television commercials. It's so hard to sit in a tight dress for four to five hours without being able to breathe properly. I'm also scared of stairs so I'm also afraid of going on and off stage. Of course, I may still end up going but for now, I don't even have a dress. (laugh)

2009120916201536751_2.jpg

10: We heard that you were in talks with a broadcaster early this year to host a talk show. I'm curious whether there is still a chance this may happen?

Ko: I think it'll depend on the outcome of "Actresses". A lot of experts in their own field put in a lot of effort to make the film happen and I think the talk show will be an extension of that. How much more honest I'll be able to be on a talk show. I had to be a good listener for "Actresses" to come up with the right reaction so I think it's similar to a talk show in that aspect. I've been in talks with a broadcaster about the show since a year ago but since it hasn't happened yet, I'm thinking maybe it isn't meant to happen.

Almost every detail about the past 20 years of your life has been published in the media. How do you feel about the media now and the public's interest?

Ko: Well, I think I'll keep staying thankful about it. If I really wanted to stay out of the public's interest, I would make it happen. But it won't happen unless I really want it to. A person who flies in a private jet and wants to travel alone may want to separate himself from the public or just want to be alone at that moment. You have to know the difference. So I think everyone figures out what they really want and one point and makes it happen afterward.

10: You've been through a lot till now and have also done a lot of work. It seems like the Ko Hyun-joung we know would be able to do whatever she wants. But is there anything that you as an actress consider an obstacle?

Ko: I don't think there is reason for anything to be an obstacle for me unless I brainwash myself in believing it is. I think anything is possible as long as you really want it.

Reporter : Choi Ji-Eun <five@10asia.co.kr>

Photographer : Chae ki-won <ten@10asia.co.kr>

Editor : Jessica Kim <jesskim@asiae.co.kr>, Lee Ji-Hye <seven@10asia.co.kr>

Archived