[News] Drama, Movies, Actors & Actresses

Guest CindyW88

2009-11-30

'Will It Snow On Christmas?' to Air December 2

Actor Ko Soo flaunted his dazzling smile at the production announcement of the TV drama "Will It Snow On Christmas?" on November 25. The drama is about a man who has loved only one woman for 10 years and lived for the sole purpose of reuniting with her.

7215_618_l.jpg

"Will It Snow On Christmas?" was written by Lee Kyung-hee and is directed by Choi Moon-seok. It will premiere on SBS TV on December 2 after the current show, "You Are Beautiful," ends. The new drama begins with memories of the passionate first love.

At the production announcement of the drama, Chang Jin-woo, an executive of the drama's production company iHQ, said, "The title of this drama suggests that it's a romantic comedy, like 'Love Actually,' but it is actually a very heartwarming drama about life."

The plot is about the young man Cha Kang-jin (Ko), who has never met his father and who wanders with his mother, a barmaid. His heart was tightly closed from the outside world when he fell in love with Han Ji-wan, a pure-hearted and cheerful girl from a rich family. Ko said, "My character is the one who has never lost to anyone. He does his best in everything he does, including work and love. I'll do my best to perfectly portray him." He added, "My character may look cold because he always makes sure to make things perfect, but his love for Ji-wan is fathomless."

Actress Han Ye-seul, who plays Han Ji-wan, described her character as a very cheerful, lovely, optimistic and courageous woman who does her best because she went through pain as a child.

Kang-jin and Ji-wan had to part ways when they were still very young after Ji-wan's older brother died in an accident. Later, Ji-wan ends up with Tae-jun, who had to break up with his former girlfriend, Woo-jung, because her affluent parents opposed their relationship. But just when Ji-wan and Tae-jun are to become engaged, Ji-wan runs into Kang-jin--something she could never have imagined even in her wildest dreams.

Actress Seon Woo-seon, who plays Woo-jung, said that her actress has a controversial personality and is also a daughter of a rich family, like her previous character in the TV drama "Queen of Housewives." However, Seon said that her current character differs profoundly from her previous character and that she lost 3 kilograms of weight to make her look cold. "When I saw the synopsis of the drama, I got butterflies in my stomach because I liked it a lot. The more I read it, the more I discovered about my character," added Seon.

Song Jong-ho, who plays Park Tae-jun, said his character was looking for new love despite already being in a relationship, and ends up feeling jealous and agonized. He said, "When I was reading the script, I cried because it was very sad and there were many good lines. I was willing to play any role in this drama."

Actress Cho Min-soo, who plays Kang-jin's mother, will make a comeback with this drama after a four-year break. She plays a woman whose heart was broken by her first love and who raises her two sons on her own. Cho said, "I took this role not to play a mother but a 40-something woman who has her story to tell. I have never played such characters before. She is a charming person who lives on the fringes of society but who still loves. She may look humble and commonplace at first glance but I'm trying to portray her in the opposite way. I enjoy developing my character."

Source : KBS Global

• Replies 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

11-30-2009

Season 2 of 'Iris' Due Next Year

A second season of the KBS 2 TV drama ``Iris'' will be produced next year.

Yonhap News Agency Monday quoted an official with the production company of ``Iris'' as saying that the shooting for the drama will begin in May next year.

The official was quoted as saying, ``location scenes will be shot in Italy, New Zealand, Japan and China.''

But Lee Byung-hun, the hero of the first season, won't appear in season 2 because he is scheduled to star in a follow up to the ``G.I. Joe'' movie. Other actors, including Kim Tae-hee, are expected to reappear in season two.

``We have no reason not to produce season two because the viewing rate of the first season has topped 30 percent and its overseas sales were brisk,'' the official said.

Credits : sahds@koreatimes.co.kr

2009-11-30

'2010-2011 Visit Korea Year' TV Program to be Produced

070530_c01_o.jpg

A special television program that introduces South Korea’s top tourist spots will be aired to mark the “2010-2011 Visit Korea Year.”

The program, which will be comprised of 16 episodes, will introduce the key tourist destinations of South Korea. It will air not only in Korea but also in other Asian nations starting sometime in the latter half of next year.

The preparation committee for the 2010-2011 Visit Korea Year said it came to an agreement with Kim Jong-hak Productions for the making of the program.

The committee also said it is in the process of developing plans to promote Korean dramas and tourism abroad.

Source : KBS WORLD

November 30, 2009

Japanese PM Dines With Korean Actor

Japanese Prime Minister Yukio Hatoyama and his wife, Miyuki Hatoyama, had lunch over the weekend with Korean TV actor Lee Seo-jin in Tokyo.

The Hatoyamas are known as fans of Lee and visited him Saturday at the Ritz-Carlton in Tokyo, where the actor was staying.

Lee visited Friday the office of Miyuki Hatoyama to give her gifts as a token of his gratitude for inviting him in September.

Lee said the gifts of kimchi, a crane painting and Oriental health food represent his wish for the health and longevity of Japan’s first family.

Miyuki Hatoyama said the kimchi was the best she ever had, and sent a letter of gratitude to Lee’s mother, who made the traditional Korean side dish.

Lee also received a muffler from the Japanese first lady.

At the luncheon, the Hatoyamas showed great interest in the “Let’s Tree” campaign in which Lee is taking part. The campaign is seeking to plant trees at desert areas in Central Asia, including Mongolia.

Lee arrived in Japan Thursday for modeling activities for a cosmetics brand.

Source : donga.com

11-30-2009

Actor-Turned Mayor Lee Plays Villain

091130_p04_actor.jpg

Seongnam's new City Hall building looks like the inside of a spacecraft and its

exterior is modeled after a full-fledged stealth aircraft. / Korea Times

091130_p04_actor2.jpg

Seongnam Mayor Lee Dae-yub was an action movie star in the 1960s and 70s, famous for his black leather gloves with which he used to batter evildoers.

Now the mayor of Seongnam, which includes Bundang, a wealthy "bed town" community on the outskirts of Seoul, he is changing roles. According to an informal poll conducted by MBC asking residents about his latest project - the 320-billion-won City Hall building - he is unmistakably an antagonist who profusely spends taxpayers' money.

"This is not what I am going to take with

Seongnam Mayor Lee Dae-yub was an action movie star in the 1960s and 70s, famous for his black leather gloves with which he used to batter evildoers.

Now the mayor of Seongnam, which includes Bundang, a wealthy "bed town" community on the outskirts of Seoul, he is changing roles. According to an informal poll conducted by MBC asking residents about his latest project - the 320-billion-won City Hall building - he is unmistakably an antagonist who profusely spends taxpayers' money.

"This is not what I am going to take with me. This is for all citizens," Lee said during a tour of his fancy city administration building last week. He emphasized that the building was the "face" of the city and worth every penny.

"When we go abroad, we visit city halls. We have built it, looking some 100 years in the future," he said.

Seongnam is a satellite town of the Seoul Metropolitan Area located south of the capital. The city has a population of 950,000.

The new Seongnam City Hall, which opened Nov. 18, has two floors belowground and nine above. It cost 161 billion won to build and another 161 billion won to buy the land. The cost equated to some 340,000 won in taxes for every resident.

The floor space of the new city hall is about 74,000 square meters, more than three times the Central Government Complex in Sejongno, Seoul.

Modeled after a stealth jet, it houses the city government, offices for 35 city council members and other facilities for civilians. It is decorated with imported marble, and escalators connect the first and third floor, features rarely seen in other cities, including Seoul.

The mayor's chamber, located on the top floor, is the core of the criticism. The total area of the chamber is 282 square meters, including the secretary's room.

It is more than twice as large as the average floor space of mayors' offices throughout Korea.

The city insists that, though it is large, it is not a luxury for the mayor but to provide better civic service to citizens who visit the mayor. "We brought office fixtures from the old city hall," a city official said.

Usually, municipal governments put the mayor's room on a lower floor to promote easy access for citizens to the mayor. "Mayor Lee's room is located on the top floor, which shows that Lee looks down upon the citizens," said Hwang Sung-hyun, a civic activist of the People's Solidarity for Participatory Democracy.

Seongnam's excessive investment is also interpreted as Lee's attempt to become the dominant locality in case a merger of Seongnam, Hanam and Gwangju takes place. The three cities were chosen for a merger, according to the Ministry of Public Administration and Security in November.

Born in 1935, Lee was a movie star in the 1960s. He starred in hit movies such as "Be Tough, Geumsun," "Marines Are Gone" and "The Red Muffler," and won a special award at the Paeksang Arts Awards in 1987.

Not satisfied with being an actor, he turned to politics in the 1980s. He was elected to the National Assembly in 1981. He served three consecutive terms there until 1992. In 2002, he was elected as the third mayor of Seongnam and reelected in 2006.

Credits : Kwon Mee-yoo, Staff Reporter (meeyoo@koreatimes.co.kr)

Source : The Korea Times

2009-11-30

KBS to Launch English Subtitle Service for Foreigners

20090930_82.jpg

The Korean Broadcasting System (KBS) will launch an English subtitle service for multiethnic households and foreigners staying in Korea via the Internet-protocol television (IPTV).

KBS plans to provide English subtitles for its major programs, such as "One Night Two Days" and "King Sejong," which will be aired through IPTV.

The service also is expected to help Korean viewers learn English more easily by allowing them to look up a word's definition on the monitor and to watch the same clips repeatedly.

Source : KBS WORLD

Kim Sung-su wraps up Japan fan meeting in success

2009113011160886479_1.jpg

Korean actor Kim Sung-su [N.O.A. Entertainment]

Korean actor Kim Sung-su successfully wrapped up his fan meeting in Japan held over the weekend, according to his agency on Monday.

The actor met with his Japanese fans in Tokyo and Fukuoka, celebrating the one-year anniversary of his official fan club "Team Sung Su" (www.kimsungsu.jp), N.O.A. Entertainment said in a press release.

The event featured a video showing the actor appearing in plays and variety show programs, as well as a baseball demonstration by Kim who is an avid baseball fan, an quiz session and a group photo session with his fans.

2009113011160886479_2.jpg

Actor Kim Sung-su at his fan meeting in Fukuoka, Japan [N.O.A. Entertainment]

"It seems like yesterday that we opened the fan club and I'm so happy it's been one year," the actor was quoted as saying. "I hope we can continue to meet through the fan club events and I was very tired before I came to the meeting but I received such great energy from the fans here."

The 34-year-old star, who debuted as a stage actor, has appeared in several movies and TV series -- most notably in the KBS drama “Full House” with Asian pop sensation Rain and Hallyu star Song Hye-kyo. He currently appears on the popular reality show "The Invincible Baseball Team" and play "Mom, Do You Want to Go on a Trip?"

2008 KBS drama "My Precious You", in which Kim stars as a single father, will air on Japanese cable channel KBS World and Mnet Japan next year.

Reporter : Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr

Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr

<ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved>

11-30-2009

Lea Seong Makes Milk Fabric Fashionable

0911130_p14_1(1).jpg

Designer Lea Seong, center, appears

with actor Kim Bum and actress Jang

Nara, at the Pret-a-Porter Busan, Nov.

20./ Courtesy of Pret-a-Porter Busan

It's been a little over a year since designer Lea Seong established her own fashion company in Shanghai, but there's a lot of attention surrounding her completely feminine designs made of milk fabric.

Seong made a splashy debut in Korea with her women's wear collection at the Pret-a-Porter Busan fashion show in late November.

In an interview with The Korea Times, Seong said she wanted her clothes to be recognized for their distinctive style.

``I want the Lea Seong brand to be known as a feminine line, with full skirts, fringes, soft touches and utter femininity. I want it to be very attractive and get people's attention,'' she said.

Seong was delighted to have been invited by Model Center president Toh Shin-woo to participate at the Pret-a-Porter Busan. She presented her 2010 spring and summer collection inspired by the free-spirited flapper women of the 1920s, with swishy mini-dresses in bright colors and hand-painted detail.

``I felt like I wanted to go out more, do more and engage in new challenges. I found the flapper women an inspiration for me as I faced challenges,'' she said.

Seong has come a long way from her days of working at Calvin Klein in New York to becoming the first foreign member of the China Fashion Designers Association in China.

A graduate of fashion design from Chung-Ang University in Korea and Parsons School of Design in New York, she has had years of extensive experience in the fashion industry in New York. She started at Calvin Klein, but the dream job didn't exactly turn out as she expected.

``In the beginning, they asked me to just cut tiny swatches of fabric from the color library. It was not a very exciting job and it wasn't what I was dreaming about when I wanted to become a designer,'' she said.

Seong soon worked her way up in the company, but she continued to dream of designing her own collection. ``It's a fantastic title to be `assistant designer' or `head designer,' but you are not Calvin Klein. I realized that later, so I woke up and I started to seriously think about doing my own collection,'' she said.

To gain more experience, Seong decided to move to smaller companies, where she had a chance to learn about the different aspects of the fashion business.

Seong moved back to Korea to spend more time with her parents, but also to try to start her own business. ``I was looking for a unique point for my brand. My name was not known and I had no relationships in Korea at all. That's when I discovered my selling point: organic milk fabric,'' she said.

After finding out that a Chinese company had the license to make the organic milk fabrics, Seong sought them ought and convinced them of its potential for fashion. She quickly established her own company in Shanghai, and incorporated milk fabric into her designs. Milk fabric is made from fibers extracted from dried liquid milk proteins using a special technology.

``Milk fabric is very soft, practical and affordable. You don't have to dry clean clothes that are made of milk.'' Seong said.

In China, she is the only designer using milk fabrics for garments, and staged the fashion show ``Milk and Me'' in March.

While her company is still young, Seong has high hopes for the future. ``My dream is that someday people will be wearing T-shirts, pants and dresses made of milk,'' she said.

Credits : Cathy Rose A. Garcia (cathy@koreatimes.co.kr)

11-30-2009

AGB Neilson to Implement Combined TV Ratings System

Korea will be the first nation to produce a new combined program ratings system from various media such as DMB (digital multimedia broadcasting), cable television and even VOD (Video on Demand).

Program ratings institute AGB Neilson Media Research announced that they were implementing a new system where program makers could identify a show's real popularity based on ratings from various media.

``Program ratings have to change in such an environment where there are so many different media. They have to be measured by various means, just like music programs where they come up with ratings based on radio runs, album sales and music source sales on the Internet,'' AGB Neilson's director Ha Sun-cheol said at a press conference in central Seoul last week.

Many Korean viewers don't watch television programs through normal televisions anymore. Many watch them through their DMB phones while commuting, while others download programs from Internet Web sites. These new habits have made it difficult to come up with real ratings, but now, thanks to AGB Neilson and the digital date broadcast service firm Alticast, viewers, broadcasters and producers can be informed of the most popular program based on the results from various media.

``The need for a new program rating system has soared as broadcasting and digital communication have mixed together, and individuals started to possess their own personal medium,'' he added.

Currently, program ratings are generated from households. Viewers are given meter boxes that analyze the television channels and programs each household watches. AGB Neilson has been producing program ratings depending on media, such as normal analogue television, cable or satellite television from 2006, and they are looking into bringing more to their list.

``Even when the viewers are watching KBS2, the results come out different. Some watch the channel through cable, while others through satellite. We will be able to bring more variety by including DMB and IPTV (Internet Protocol Television),'' Kim Geum-ju, executive director from the institute, told The Korea Times.

In the case of VOD, the company will analyze the download information Web sites save.

``This is the first (program) to happen in Korea and we are looking forward to a more dynamic market in terms of broadcasting and media use,'' Ha said.

Credits : Han Sang-hee (sanghee@koreatimes.co.kr)

Kim Hyun-joong to make film debut

2009113008142730848_1.jpg

Actors Su-ae and Kim, Hyun-joong, from left, picked as lead roles of an upcoming movie.

[Asia Economic Daily]

Kim Hyun-joong, leader of Korean boy band SS501, will soon make his big screen debut, according to a source on Monday.

An associate of the film said Kim has been picked to lead the cast of film "You're My Pet" opposite top actress Su-ae in the film directed by Kim Byung-gon.

The movie is based on Japanese TV series "Trams Like Us" broadcast on TBS in 2003, which itself was based on an original comic series by Yayoi Ogawa.

The movie is about unexpected love between a successful, smart and good-looking fashion magazine editor and a handsome guy who is adopted as a pet to the successful woman.

"We haven't completely finished working on the contract but we'll be done by the end of this week," said a representative from Kim's agency DSP Media.

As a member of the popular five-member K-pop band, Kim Hyun-joong also debuted as an actor early this year through hit KBS TV series "Boys Over Flowers".

Reporter : Lim Hye-seon lhsro@asiae.co.kr

Editor: Linda Kim lindakim@asiae.co.kr

"Ninja" scores biggest opening for Rain

2009113013301631431_1.jpg

A scene from "Ninja Assassin" [Warner Brothers]

Rain has scored his biggest opening with Hollywood action movie "Ninja Assassin" which has been faring well on both the Korean and U.S. box office, according to the film's producer on Monday.

"Ninja", which opened worldwide on November 26, attracted 535,600 viewers in Korea on its opening weekend and ranked second overall on Korean box office, Warner Brothers Korea said.

The ninja pic marks the biggest first week results for a movie starring Rain, whose two previous films "I'm a Cyborg, But That's Okay" and "Speed Racer" brought in 470,000 and 420,000 viewers, respectively.

In the U.S., the film earned over 13.1 million dollars over the weekend and about 21 million dollars during the first week. It placed sixth on U.S. box office but raked in more dollars per screen compared to films such as "2012", Old Dogs" and "A Christmas Carol" which overall ranked above "Ninja".

Critics are saying that the figures for both markets are impressive for a film with a no-teenagers-allowed R-rating. In the U.S., "Ninja" is showing at only 2,503 screens versus between 3,000 to 4,000 for the film's competitors.

"Ninja" stars Asian superstar Rain in the lead role of Raizo, an assassin who plots revenge against his former crime organization. The movie was helmed by James McTeigue of "V for Vendetta" and produced by Joel Silver and the famous Wachowski Brothers of the "Matrix" trilogy.

[REVIEW]

"Ninja Assassin"

2009113015134879123_2.jpg

Rain stars as Raizo in the film "Ninja Assassin" [Warner Brothers]

The lights go out inside the room. And the yakuzas who were laughing a moment ago at the ninja story told by a tattoo artist get their bodies slashed by swords and flying knives. That is how the legendary ninja assassin makes a comeback to the real world in the film "Ninja Assassin".

The public's curiosity toward "Ninja Assassin" is largely due to the fact that Rain is leading the cast of a major Hollywood movie. But the film, which opens with blood splattering that is reminiscent of Kawajiri Yoshiaki's animation, focuses mostly on the fear of ninjas and less on the emotions of the main character Raizo, played by Rain. It is the fear of the unknown being. Like in the Discovery Channel's "Unsolved History", where ninjas were shown to secretly assassinate samurais using the mysterious martial arts technique "Ninjutsu", and the Ninja-inspired movie "Batman Begins", "Ninja Assassin" also paints the ninja as a mysterious assassin from the East. The only difference is that the film adds more detailed and more destructive footage. The flying knives of the ninja, is a weapon as deadly as a 13.5mm machine gun and Raizo's chain sickle attacks its victims from unpredictable angles, slicing off their arms and legs. The moment lights go out and darkness enters the room, ninjas turn into slaughterers that can instantly annihilate the most highly trained Special Forces soldiers.

Movie Points 1-10

Rain's physique deserves a 12, but the film deserves only a 6.

2009113015134879123_1.jpg

A fight scene from "Ninja Assassin" [Warner Brothers]

For those who were hoping to see Rain delivering his lines in improved English, sorry to disappoint you, but the character Raizo is a murdering machine who, by nature, rarely exposes his emotions. In other words, do not expect to see a sweet glance or smile from Rain. As a matter of fact, the young Raizo in his teens (played by Lee Joon of Rain's idol group MBLAQ) displays more expression on his face as he agonizes over the kill-or-be-killed principle of the ninja organization. The film's plot -- about Raizo plotting revenge against his former organization that trained him to become the group's top assassin after losing a close friend -- offers no subplots or multi-layered elements in the story. The only thing that the movie leaves behind is its images. The lasting images could be either Rain's ideal physique that was perfected by rigorous training, or the blood-splattering chopping up of body parts, or the flashy weapons used in the fighting scenes. People who appreciate peripheral and temporary satisfaction from a movie screen might give the film higher points. "Ninja Assassin" opened in theaters on November 26.

Reporter : Wee Geun-woo <eight@10asia.co.kr>

Editor : Lynn Kim <lynn2878@asiae.co.kr>

11-30-2009

Chan Appears at Rain Concert

Jackie Chan, the world-renowned Hong Kong movie star, made a surprise appearance Sunday at a performance in Hong Kong by South Korean pop singer and actor Rain, 27.

According to Jtune Entertainment, Rain's agency, Monday, Chan visited the performance venue, the Asia World Expo, Sunday, the second day of Rain's Asian tour named ``Legend of Rainism.''

Chan appeared all of a sudden around 10 p.m. when Rain was about to sing ``Rainism.''

He held a bouquet of flowers and told the audience that ``I have to go now not to be late for my flight. I want to embrace Rain.''

Jtune Entertainment said Rain was not aware of Chan's visit. On Saturday, Zhou Runfa, another Hong Kong actor, visited Rain's first concert.

Rain traveled to Jakarta, Indonesia, Monday, the next stop on his tour.

Credits : sahds@koreatimes.co.kr

-----------------

Hong Kong movie stars visit Rain's concert

2009113015151086420_1.jpg

Singer Rain and actor Jackie Chan, from left, on stage during Rain's Hong Kong concert.

[J.Tune Entertainment]

Hong Kong's most famed movies stars including Jackie Chan and Chow Yun Fat appeared at Korean singer Rain's concert held over the weekend, according to a press release from Rain's agency.

Chow Yun Fat attended the first day of Rain's two-day concert titled "Legend of Rainism" held in Hong Kong on November 28 and 29, while Chan made a surprise visit on the second day, J.Tune Entertainment said.

Chan congratulated Rain on his concert while handing him flowers although he had to leave immediately to catch a flight. "This was something that Rain didn't know about beforehand," one of the representatives J.Tune was quoted as saying.

The official added that Chan and Rain are good friends and Rain usually sends him an invitation, but Rain was not expecting Chan to turn up because Chan was on a tight schedule.

Korean singer Rain debuted in 2002 and since has gained fame in Asia. Aside from singing, he also has starred in several Korean TV series and movies and recently starred in Hollywood movie "Ninja Assassin" which opened in theaters last week.

Reporter : Linda Kim lindakim@asiae.co.kr

11-30-2009

Should TV Subscription Fee Be Scrapped or Raised?

0911130_p05_1(1).jpg

The main building of KBS in Yeouido, Seoul, Friday. The public network is

seeking to increase the monthly fee it charges viewers, though it faces

criticism that it has neglected to improve poor reception. / Korea Times

0911130_p05_2.jpg

KBS is seeking to increase the monthly fee it charges viewers, even as it faces criticism that it has neglected to improve its poor reception.

``KBS's most important task is raising the fee. I will make every effort to make it happen by next year,'' said Kim In-kyu, president of the network, in a speech during his inauguration last Tuesday.

Kim indicated that he wants to raise the charge to at least 4,820 won ($4.15) per month. It has remained at 2,500 won since 1981, due largely to poor reception quality.

Under the Broadcast Law, KBS is entitled to collect the fee, but is also required to offer high quality reception nationwide, regardless of demographic and geographical conditions.

Yet, despite repeated promises to improve reception over the past decades, the number of complaints of poor transmission has not dwindled.

KBS spent only 2.2 percent, or 160.5 billion won, of the 7.3 trillion won it collected in fees from 1973 to 2006 to enhance its transmission quality, according to Rep. Chang Yoon-seok of the governing Grand National Party (GNP).

In 2007, then-KBS President Jung Yun-joo vowed to inject a minimum of 30 billion won each year to resolve the long-standing problem, starting from 2008.

However, KBS spent merely 2 billion won to improve reception in 2008 and has allocated just 1.3 billion won for this year, GNP lawmaker Kim Hyo-jae said at a National Assembly inspection in October.

Kim also pointed out that the main reason people switch to pay TV services is the poor reception of major TV networks.

0911130_p05_3.jpg

KBS, MBC and SBS had more than 80 percent of the market share in 2007, according to figures released by the Korea Press Foundation.

A recent survey conducted by DTV Korea shows that the number of pay TV viewers currently accounts for more than 85 percent of the country's total viewers; 72 percent of those subscribers switched to pay TV due to the bad reception of the major networks.

In contrast, only 3.5 percent of the 20.7 million households have been exempted from the fee due to poor reception.

Worsened Aerial Signals

But why is it that the vast majority of households still can't watch terrestrial channels without having to subscribe to pay TV?

``TV signals were quite good in my area even 10 to 20 years ago,'' said Choi Ji-ho, a resident living in Daejeon. ``I could watch TV without having to get a fancy antenna or subscribe to a cable or satellite service.''

Choi recently purchased an LCD TV but the only thing he could watch on it was static.

``Television sets manufactured in Korea do not come with antennas that can receive over-the-air TV signals anymore, basically because the reception is bad everywhere,'' a spokesman of LG Electronics said.

He said the quality of the aerial reception, especially in urban areas, has gotten worse because of the construction of high-rise buildings that block signals.

Still, KBS levies the fee on households with poor aerial reception. All households and businesses in Seoul are required to pay 2,500 won per TV as KBS has classified the entire city as an area that gets quality reception.

A senior technician at KBS claims that high quality reception from digital TV signals can be received in some 60 percent of households in the capital area with the help of a small indoor antenna that can be purchased at prices as low as 30,000 won.

KBS has been operating digital TV in Seoul and major cities in the country over the past several years.

Blame Game

The best way to receive a clear TV signal is by using an outdoor antenna installed on the roof.

Some go as far as to suspect that cable companies have deliberately inflicted damage to outdoor antennas in an attempt to increase the number of pay TV subscribers.

Kang Byung-ku, a Seoul resident, told The Korea Times that he had to file a complaint against a cable company to make them restore his apartment's antennas to their original state.

``I wanted to have only major channels because I did not want my children to be exposed to harmful channels,'' said Kang. ``So I wondered why the reception was so poor in my area and later found that the cable that sends the signals of major networks had been cut by someone.''

In 2007, KBS placed the blame on cable companies.

``Sixty-seven percent of the MATV system (outdoor public antennas) installed in apartments have become obsolete due to pay TV companies,'' said Jung, while serving as KBS president in 2007.

Jung claimed that cable companies were monopolizing the market by deliberately inflicting damage on antennas.

However, Kim Yong-bae, a senior official of the Korean Cable TV Association, said that Jung's claim was groundless. He said the association has yet to receive any formal complaints regarding the matter.

Fixing Antennas

In a 2008 nationwide survey of 2,500 TV holders living in apartments, DTV Korea found that 79 percent of their outdoor antennas were either disconnected or damaged.

``Under the law, janitors of apartments, who often have no technical skills, are responsible for maintaining and fixing the outdoor antennas,'' said a ranking official of the National Assembly Broadcasting and Communications Committee.

However, the report shows only 12.1 percent of apartment janitors answered that they could fix antennas without the help of a third party.

The official pointed out that the high penetration of cable companies is closely related to the maintenance of antennas.

Affordable Cable Plan

All cable companies have to provide a plan whose monthly service fee does not exceed 4,000 won, according to Kwon Hee-su, an official of the Korea Communications Commission (KCC).

Kwon explained that this was part of the commission's efforts to allow people living in fringe areas to watch major networks at a low cost.

However, some cable companies are reluctant to advertise such low-profit products.

``On top of the 2,500 won that I pay to KBS, I pay 8,000 won per month to the cable company. And I heard that this is one of the lowest figures,'' said Yoon Sang-hyun of Guri, Gyeonggi Province. ``All I watch is programs from major networks. I am angry that KBS is trying to raise the fee without making any effort to improve its signal.''

When asked what he would do if KBS raises the fee, Yoon said he would purchase a better outdoor antenna in hopes of saving money.

According to the KCC, cable companies are obligated to let their clients know of the 4,000 won option when asked about payment plans. Violators face a fine of 5 million won.

Credits : Lee Tae-hoon (leet@koreatimes.co.kr)

2009/12/01

(Movie Review)

Fact and fiction merge as South Korea's leading ladies come together

SEOUL, Dec. 1 (Yonhap) -- "Frankly said, actresses can't stand the idea of sharing the limelight. They have to be at the center of attention, be the most beautiful and popular person on the scene at all times," says Lee Mi-suk, who plays Lee Mi-suk in "The Actresses" -- or wait, is it the character Lee Mi-suk, played by actress Lee Mi-suk, who says the lines?

A semi-improvisational movie featuring six actresses each playing themselves, "The Actresses" has the audience constantly wondering just how much of the story is real.

Made without a script and filmed on a scene-by-scene basis with the actresses improvising their performances according to given situations, the movie walks a fine line between documentary and fiction, presenting a rare chance for people to steal a "legal peek" into the lives of top celebrities.

20091201103029_bodyfile.jpg

"Instead of creating something fictional, I thought it would be interesting to feature each actress' charm by letting the women do some real talking," director of the movie E J-yong explains.

Six actresses, their age varying from 20s to 60s, come together for a Vogue magazine photo shoot on Christmas Eve, each secretly discomforted by the idea of sharing the limelight and spending the whole day alongside one another.

Meeting for the first time, Korean Wave queen Choi Ji-woo and former beauty pageant winner Ko Hyun-jung raise their voice over a trivial matter and get into a childish fight which has Choi running off the set.

Model-turned-actress Kim Min-hee gets upset over a remark by a staff member that men don't find skinny women attractive while Kim Ok-vin, the heroine of "Thirst," is anxious she is too chubby to be an actress.

Veteran actress Youn Yuh-jung tries to show composure but can't help feeling like a free-rider in the glamorous photo shoot while Lee Mi-suk is blue over a recent divorce that made headlines without her intention.

20091201103038_bodyfile.jpg

"This is more like a Christmas nightmare," the editor of the photo shoot hisses to her colleague as the atmosphere dampens.

But with a bit of champagne, the actresses begin to reveal their inner thoughts and bond, exposing themselves more than they ever have in front of the camera.

"The Actresses," clearly appears less concerned with finish or coherence than with authentic, on-the-fly shooting of a moment.

While the overall story -- if there is one at all -- lacks the elements necessary for a full feature, the small talk among actresses delivers surprising amount of humor, emotion and warmth, proving that gathering all six into one screen is enough to "make a scene."

Director E, who was first inspired to make the film after going out for a drink with actresses Youn and Ko in 2007, said he focused on conveying the "reality" of the actresses' lives.

"I had set up certain boundaries, but many elements depended a lot on the skills and talents of the actresses themselves," he said. "I thought it would be a lot more genuine if the story was delivered through their lips, especially as the six women can be said to represent Korean actresses as a whole."

E, known for his refined style and cinematic talent of hitting the feminine nerves, has helmed several hit films including the critically acclaimed period drama "Untold Scandal."

"The Actresses" became the third of E's creations to be invited to the Berlin International Film Festival's Panorama section, which screens 18 films considered to have well-balanced art and commercialism.

20091201103046_bodyfile.jpg

Actress Ko said she and her colleagues talked from the "bottom of their hearts" while shooting the movie.

"I cannot even remember everything we talked about. One minute we were laughing and the other minute we were crying -- just like in real life."

With the six actresses agreeing to take part gratis, "The Actresses" took about 1.5 billion won (US$1.3 million) to make, a surprisingly low budget considering the prominence of the actresses and staff.

The movie will hit the local theaters Dec. 10.

Credits : Shin Hae-in (hayney@yna.co.kr)

Source : Yonhaps News

Dec.01, 2009

Korean Documentary Awarded in Amsterdam Festival

A Korean film was honored at the 22nd International Documentary Film Festival Amsterdam (IDFA) last week.

"Iron Crows" directed by Park Bong-nam received the NPS IDFA prize for best mid-length documentary at the awards ceremony held on Sunday, film distributor CreativeEast said Monday.

The film reveals the desperate conditions at the world's largest ship-breaking yard, in Chittagong, Bangladesh, where workers risk their lives for meager pay.

An independent director, Park previously produced a documentary series on Islamic culture that aired on EBS.

Credits : englishnews@chosun.com

2009-12-01

Lee Min-ho Holds Fan Meeting

Actor Lee Min-ho, who played a lead in the TV drama "Boys Over Flowers," held two fan meetings on November 26 in Tokyo, Japan. Entitled "Minoz JAPAN First Event," the meetings drew more than 4,000 Japanese fans.

7216_620_l.jpg

Lee showed up among the audience at his fan meetings, to everyone's surprise. He greeted his audiences by saying in Japanese, "I've been waiting for the day when I'd finally visit Japan." Last month Lee visited Taiwan, Singapore and Malaysia. He also appeared in TV commercials and attended overseas events. "I want to stay busy," said Lee.

Lee also talked about his first photo album "Travel with MINHO." He said, "I like the streets in Japan. I'll suggest them the next time we shoot in Japan."

In a Q&A session, Lee said that if he were his character, Ku Jun-pyo, and was turned down by the woman he liked, he would find out what the problem was and try his best to solve it.

On the question of how he would like to propose to a woman he loves, Lee said, "I would prepare a seat for her in the audience and confess to her on stage. I would propose to her and present her with a ring." Lee also demonstrated how he would kneel down, to the loud cheers of his fans.

After the two-hour meeting, Lee left the venue through the audience to a standing ovation and cheers.

Source : KBS Global

"Invincible" cast unhindered by cold weather

2009113015543940597_1.jpg

Actor Ji Hyun-woo of Woo Ondal in TV series "Invincible Lee Pyung Kang," having water sprayed on his face

despite the extremely cold weather. [10Asia]

Despite the chilly November breeze, a golf course in the Gangwon province shines with the greenness of its grass. Actor Ji Hyun-woo, who has kicked off his shoes, rolls around on the green. The sun beats down on him but there is steam seen coming from every breath he takes to speak his lines. Ondal the fool and Princess Pyung Kang, who have been reincarnated in modern day Korea, have laid their youth, pureness and life onto this golf course. Thanks to that, the field is not just simply a background scenery but rather a crucial key to the TV series "Invincible Lee Pyung Kang." On this certain day, Ji lies underneath a sprinkler squirting out water and soon becomes soaked from it entirely. His stylist, holding a portable heater in her hands, looks on at Ji with a concerned look on her face but the relentless director Lee Jung-sub is not satisfied and shouts out, "Ondal's face is too dry. Spray more water on him!"

Unlike Ji, actor Kim Heung-soo dressed neatly in golf wear, enjoys his free time by practicing his putts. He becomes even more confident as the time nears for him to shoot his kissing scene and Ji, who was drying his wet socks and actress Nam Sang-mi, who was looking at her script to rehearse her lines, both run toward Kim to root him on for the shoot. But it is not an easy task holding a huge parasol in one hand to keep out the water from the sprinklers and trying to kiss Cha Ye-ryun who is constantly nagging Kim. Everyone's lips start turning blue -- from the crew who are soaked from head to toe from manually controlling the direction of the sprinkler to the director who had been closely monitoring the screen to Kim whose arm is starting to shake from holding the heavy parasol with one arm for so long. But this will barely hinder their efforts. A passerby exclaims, "On such a cold day! You guys are young!" As long as their passion remains as young as their youth, they are invincible from the cold winter days.

Reporter: Yoon Hee-Seong nine@10asia.co.kr

Photographer: Lee Jin-hyuk eleven@10asia.co.kr

Editor: Linda Kim lindakim@asiae.co.kr, Jang Kyung-Jin three@10asia.co.kr

Lee Min-ho wraps up multiple fan meetings in Japan

2009120109562414577_1.jpg

Korean actor Lee Min-ho at his fan meeting in Japan [starhaus Entertainment]

Korean actor Lee Min-ho successfully wrapped up his fan meetings held in Japan last week, according to his agency on Tuesday.

The actor met with some 8,000 fans in Tokyo on November 23 and in Osaka three days later for a total of four fan meetings, Starhaus Entertainment said in a press release.

The event kicked off with a video showing of the television dramas Lee has starred in, including the hit TV series "Boys Over Flowers","Secret Campus", "Mackerel Run" and "Get Up". The last three dramas are set to air in Japan soon.

According to a source, the actor handpicked gifts for his Japanese fans, shook hands with them on stage and answered to their questions. The actor even sang the song "My Everything" for the fans while standing on a moving crane to get closer to the crowd.

2009120109562414577_2.jpg

Hallyu star Lee Min-ho meets his Japanese fans [starhaus Entertainment]

"I think meetings like these can only happen because I have fans from places far away," the actor was quoted as saying. "I'm very happy to have had such a wonderful time."

The 22-year-old actor rose stardom instantly after starring in "Boys Over Flowers" earlier this year. The drama co-starred Korean actress Koo Hye-sun and idol group member Kim Hyun-joong of SS501.

Lee is scheduled to hold fan meetings in other Asian countries including Hong Kong, Taiwan and Singapore.

12-01-2009

Ha Ji-won Wins 1st Best Actress Award

Popular actress Ha Ji-won collected her first Best Actress award at the 5th University Film Festival of Korea, Tuesday.

Ha starred in the blockbuster disaster film ``Haeundae'' and the melodrama ``Closer to Heaven'' this year, proving both her box office appeal and powerful acting skills. This was her first acting award in her 14-year career.

Actor Ha Jeong-woo, who appeared in the hit film ``Take Off,'' was named Best Actor. Bong Joon-ho received the Best Director prize for ``Mother.''

The results were taken from a survey of 980 college students majoring in film. They were asked to name the Film of the Year, Best Director, Best Actor and Best Actress.

``Take Off,'' a sports film inspired by the South Korean national ski jumping team, captured the Best Film award.

Rising Star awards were given to Kang Ji-hwan, the heartthrob lead actor of ``My Girlfriend Is an Agent,'' and actress Park Bo-young of ``Speed Scandal.''

Best Supporting Actor went to Jin Gu, who appeared in Bong's ``Mother,'' while Best Supporting Actress went to Kim Hae-suk, who starred in Park Chan-wook's Cannes Film Festival award-winning film ``Thirst.''

The film festival opened at CGV Yeongdeungpo Times Square Tuesday and runs through Thursday.

Credits : Cathy Rose A. Garcia (cathy@koreatimes.co.kr)

Archived