Universities/Colleges in the Philippines

Guest driftwood023

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest hoon-woo

sure does. you'll feel the same when someone uses it on u. haha.. and yeah...HUGE DBSG FAN HERE! I heart Jaejoongie.:P

Guest cpopbaby19

^Aren't you a mod at YGBB? ._. ..or not. lols. ^^

I'm studying at MC! XD Incoming Junior (OMG! Thesis is on novemberr) taking up International Studies. ;)

Maybe we can see one another at Katipunan!! XD

Guest wiijee

^UP... and i should say, there are people who are really into korean music... i tried joining the org this sem, but i deferred... got so busy eh.

Guest neinsager

^ i'm also from UP! holy mother of... there's an org for that? what's their org name?

wow. so much stuff outside of my college that i don't know about.

there are quite a number of isko's here. maybe we should have an isawan meetup? LOL.

Guest cpopbaby19

^LMAO! Where is that Isaw place! I want I want! My friends mentioned that before but we never got the chance to go there because of lack of cars. ;_; LMAO. hehehe

Guest wiijee

@neinsager

yep there actually is! the org started like a year ago... One of its founders was my classmate in my Japanese class...

the org's UP Arirang. it's a korean-filipino friendship club... ^_^

if you're still studying here, maybe we could join the org next sem. ^_^

isawan??? are you talkin' 'bout Mang Larry's Isawan near PhilPost? Iskos flock that stand every afternoon eh... hehehe

@cpopbaby

you don't need a car to go there... hehehe ^_^

let's have some isawan EB some time. ^_^

Guest neinsager

^ haha, ok. anyway, i'm a freshman so i still have three more years in UP after this one. plenty of time to join orgs. i already have an org but its law-based. all our classes are in malcolm. so we really don't get to mingle with people outside law school, or outside our blocks for that matter. and law students, uhm, they aren't into kpop or kdramas. i'm pretty sure some of them find it jologs and juvenile. so it would be nice to meet other people who share the same interests as mine, hehe.

haha yeah i know that isawan place beside the post office. i saw parokya ni edgar there once! the guy who prepares the isaw, i think his name is sugar or something (i think i overheard someone call him by that name), laging nakasimangot. it's probably because of the smoke. or maybe that's really his default facial expression. try nyo kausapin minsan, haha!

there's also isaw in front of the international center, but there aren't too many people who go there.

Guest wiijee

^so you're a law stud! cool! i go to the Law Lib frequently eh.

di ko napapansin si Sugar... hehehe. it must be that i really don't go there frequently...

i've tried the isawan in front of the International Center. try the fishball stand in SC too... my friends and i usually go there after class... ^_^

Guest `a.Jin

Hey guys :)

I've been a lurker on this forum for quite some time now. It's because I'm very fond of reading other people's "posts" rather than becoming a part of "it"

I'm an incoming Senior at the Ateneo High School. Though I'm still undecided on which course i will take, (most probably chemical engineering or anything that deals with chemistry/science or math. Except bio, i hate bio!) I've got my eyes on UP Diliman because we are dealing with some financial problems. (my dad's an OFW and with what's going on in our economy today, PHP > USD i think in the next few years "living life" would become all the more tougher. Pulling out a 100kPHP tuition fee could be a dreadful job. xD) I've got to admit, Ateneo gives off the best quality of education than any other Universities in the Philippines but sometimes i think that the "price" is just plain unreasonable. Besides, I've already spent almost all of my life there, from grade school up to high school. I've always thought of this: "At UP, i can get almost the same quality of education but at a cheaper rate. :)" Am I correct?

As of this moment, I'm already preparing for it. I do study everyday and come April I would take up College Entrance Reviews along Katipunan. Ugh, I've never thought that this would be this burdensome. Also, I've taken note of what were discussed in the first few pages of this thread. Thank you for that.

As for the math part of the ACET, I'm not really sure if what you guys are saying is true. I really know a lot of people who have taken the ACET, from my cousins to friends and even the seniors of SY 2007-2008. They said the math part was easy as long as "laking-Ateneo ka"

Oh well, Hope that I get into UP.

Cheers!

Guest neinsager

^it's a sad reality that good education comes with a price. we all wish that things are different. anyway most ateneans can pay for their tuition fee without much trouble (i read that in a guidon article. non-payment rate is very low). so it probably sends signals to the administration that the tuition fee is not set too high. besides, with all the expansion that is happening in the loyola schools, ateneo seems to be really really serious about improving their quality of education. of course, that will cost a tremendous amount of money.

but don't worry, because they are not unmindful of people who cannot afford to attend ateneo but have great potential to benefit from ateneo education. around 30% of students in the loyola schools are scholars. tsaka needs-based ang scholarship (except maybe for the merit scholarship). it doesn't matter much if a rival applicant has higher grades than you. if you need it more, you have a higher chance of getting it. also, if you think you have a shot at UP's chem-eng program, you might as well try to get a merit scholarship from ateneo.

well anyway, as someone who went to both schools, i say that UP isn't bad either. but i can't really say which one is better, because my comparison would be meaningless, as i went to ateneo as a college student and to up as a law student. my experience with both schools wouldn't be parallel, then. i guess we can safely say that this is largely a matter of opinion. but if you're already convinced about the superiority of ateneo education but you are worried about the costs, then the best option for you is to enroll as a scholar. madali lang naman daw mag-maintain ng scholarship. and when you finish the chemistry or math program, it's supposed to be really worth it.

regarding the math part of the acet, maybe there's truth in that. personally, i found it incredibly hard, probably because i'm not laking ateneo. my high school really lagged behind in math education. especially in the beginning, students from other schools such as ahs were better equipped in the subject. we did catch up eventually. in fact my college math grades were well above average, and it steadily improved. this left me the impression that the initial disadvantage was due to my weak math background, compared to other students. at the start, they knew more than we did. and this played a huge part in my poor performance in the math portion of the acet. they had to place me in the basic math section (although i scored high in the diagnostic exam given 2 weeks after the start of classes, so they transferred me to the regular section). so yeah, high school math education matters. assuming you were taught well in ahs, this might be a huge advantage for you.

`a.Jin

Hi there (: Welcome to the thread! Hmmm... The Math part was fairly easy, as long as you paid attention to your lessons during your 3rd year (:

(I'm sure you did :D)

Whoops, gotta go xD My graduation is in a few hours and I'm bracing myself for some emotional vomit.

Yeeecchh. I really don't want to get all cheesy later ><

Archived