USC

Guest litoxshortaii

Guest litoxshortaii

& LA area
im in LA right now (awesome weather :)) and planning to visit USC in a couple of days. ive hrd that the neighborhood is :crazy: so im kind of nervous? cautious? abt it. how is it during the day? my mom was thinking of going to see it with me while my dad and my younger sisters go shopping or something around the area... can anyone give me more info on the area?

we're also planning on going to hollywood, disneyland, maybe universal studios while we're here. are there any other must visit places LA-ers could recommend?

Guest watcher

im in LA right now (awesome weather :)) and planning to visit USC in a couple of days. ive hrd that the neighborhood is :crazy: so im kind of nervous? cautious? abt it. how is it during the day? my mom was thinking of going to see it with me while my dad and my younger sisters go shopping or something around the area... can anyone give me more info on the area?

we're also planning on going to hollywood, disneyland, maybe universal studios while we're here. are there any other must visit places LA-ers could recommend?

if you stay inside campus...you dont have to worry much. the police can get to anywhere on campus within 30 seconds of pressing the blue emergency lights, which are located almost everywhere. as for outside of campus...just dont walk too far west. there's a rose garden/science museum to the south that you can check out if you want. there's a really crappy shopping area to the north along with a bunch of student housing, and the freeway to the east. and to the west is the residential area. whenever something goes down..it's usually in that area.

i dont think safety's a real issue as long as you dont start roaming around in the neighborhood. stick to campus and the gathering areas like the museum/garden or the shopping area. and..im sure u know, but dont walk around at night when nobody's around. :)

i suggest you have your dad/sisters visit the garden/museum while you tour campus. there's no shopping area nearby worth visiting. if you have any questions about the campus itself, just post here again.

as for places in LA...if you go hollywood, you might as well visit universal citywalk (which is right next to universal studios). it's a short drive from the hollywood hotspots to citywalk. maybe like a 5~10 minute drive. here's the website for citywalk: http://www.citywalkhollywood.com/ (and btw...the area in hollywood you'll likely go to is hollywood and highland, where they have the chinese theatre and the hand/footprints of celebs)

not sure where you're from, but the beach is also a nice option for tourists. they have a nice little shopping area at 3rd street where there's always people performing outside, and lots of cool restaurants and stores. and it's a short walk to the beach and the pier.

disneyland is kinda pricey....but if you havent been, it's worth a trip. you can also shuttle between disneyland and downtown disney (their version of citywalk) and tour that area too.

if you're interested in ktown and nearby areas...there's a bunch of good restaurants and stores you can visit. just ask if there's anything in particular you're looking for. there's also a shopping area called 'the grove.' it's not that large, but it looks really nice, and you can visit the farmers market there for some really unique food. =) website to the grove: http://www.thegrovela.com/

i can go on...but...im sure u have a better idea of what you want. feel free to ask questions...

Guest MzLina

i've only been around USC a couple times and one time was for a show. i'm not trynna scare you but hahah we were leaving and while driving, we saw some guy beatin up another guy at a bus stop. this was at night. but i doubt it's dangerous during the daytime. when i went around that area we just stayed on campus x_x it doesn't look nice off campus so i don't really see any reason to walk around the area.

Guest ♡ Mrs Jung Ji Hoon ♡

Ahck.. I passed by USC not knowing it was USC and was disappointed just by looking at the surrounding area >< That's also the school I want to go to for Grad school.. but yeah.

I'm not too familiar with the LA area, but if you're going to Disneyland, you'll be in the OC and you might wanna check out South Coast Plaza or Fashion Island for shopping ^^ It's a good distance from LA, but if you're at Disneyland, it's only like.. 20 minutes away?

Guest mentlkase

I'm going to be a senior in the fall and its exaggerated, esp. if u live on campus. USC spends lots of money on security, so much so that DPS and LAPD write you tickets for jaywalking and riding your bike across the street. if ure at school studying late they have a complimentary pick up and drop off service that they encourage you to take, esp girls. you just call the number and the campus cruiser will pick you up in like 15 mins. if you live on campus or on campus apts, you'll be safe. The off-chance that something does happen, just comply it just ends there. you'll get incidents report emailed to once in a while you about that sort of thing and i imagine that its not worse than any other school. nothing really happens to the students.

for shopping, the nearest one is on MLK blvd but its ghetto >< u don't wanna go there. go to the grove, promenade, and bevelry center. If ure baller go to rodeo.

I don't want to admit this but, westwood (where UCLA is the school sucks tho) is pretty fun ><. dollar ice cream sandwiches at diddy reese? freakin delicious i don't remember how to spell it.

Restaurants i recommend

windows, ruth's criss, lawry's($$ though but hey ure visiting) and maybe stinking rose

for korean food try seoul garden good shabu shabu.

K-town and certain parts of hollywood have great nightlife but since ure with the parents i doubt u can do this ><. the wiltern has a lot great shows this month, some shows this month were... AFI, she wants revenge etc.

Guest watcher

I'm going to be a senior in the fall and its exaggerated, esp. if u live on campus. USC spends lots of money on security, so much so that DPS and LAPD write you tickets for jaywalking and riding your bike across the street. if ure at school studying late they have a complimentary pick up and drop off service that they encourage you to take, esp girls. you just call the number and the campus cruiser will pick you up in like 15 mins. if you live on campus or on campus apts, you'll be safe. The off-chance that something does happen, just comply it just ends there. you'll get incidents report emailed to once in a while you about that sort of thing and i imagine that its not worse than any other school. nothing really happens to the students.

for shopping, the nearest one is on MLK blvd but its ghetto >< u don't wanna go there. go to the grove, promenade, and bevelry center. If ure baller go to rodeo.

I don't want to admit this but, westwood (where UCLA is the school sucks tho) is pretty fun ><. dollar ice cream sandwiches at diddy reese? freakin delicious i don't remember how to spell it.

Restaurants i recommend

windows, ruth's criss, lawry's($$ though but hey ure visiting) and maybe stinking rose

for korean food try seoul garden good shabu shabu.

K-town and certain parts of hollywood have great nightlife but since ure with the parents i doubt u can do this ><. the wiltern has a lot great shows this month, some shows this month were... AFI, she wants revenge etc.

woah...dps can write you tickets now? they couldnt do anything when i attended SC. they couldnt even give us tickets for running the stop signs. (not that i encourage it! :sweatingbullets: )

and...for korean food...it's summer! GIL MOK is a MUST! the best dong-chi-mi gooksoo on the face of the earth! plus...u can fulfill all your korean bbq needs.

Guest litoxshortaii

thanks for the info! i went there today.. the neighborhood didnt seem all that bad.. js seems kind of boring. maybe it's because im somewhat used to the shadier streets of boston :phew: hmm. but the campus was pretty :) i think we passed by koreatown... it didnt seem like there was much there though?? :huh:

Guest watcher

thanks for the info! i went there today.. the neighborhood didnt seem all that bad.. js seems kind of boring. maybe it's because im somewhat used to the shadier streets of boston :phew: hmm. but the campus was pretty :) i think we passed by koreatown... it didnt seem like there was much there though?? :huh:

yea...it's just a bunch of restaurants and shops. there's no major mall or town center, or even a theatre for that matter. however...if you like korean food, once you get your fair share in LA...it's hard to go anywhere else in the US and satisfy your korean food hunger. :)

Guest Eddie

usc hell yeah! i'm going to be a freshman this fall, so i've visited it twice (i'm from ny, so....yeah it's not that easy to visit it that often lol). when i was applying to usc and everything, i heard so much about the DANGEROUS neighborhood and vicinity of the usc campus. when i visited in april (and a few days ago actually), i was expecting something along the lines of harlem... and uh...it's nothing like harlem lol. maybe i'm just a new york G (lmao), but i don't think it's that -- it's not as bad as people proclaim it to be. true, there seems to be nothing to do there (compared to ucla's westwood having 342234234234234 things to do..i think?), but it's not some suicide zone. it's just like any metropolitan area: don't wander out on the streets at 3 am alone.

but i do have a question. after i made my usc email and everyting, i get all those crime reports. it seems that crime/theft still happens in the afternoons? lol

Guest watcher

usc hell yeah! i'm going to be a freshman this fall, so i've visited it twice (i'm from ny, so....yeah it's not that easy to visit it that often lol). when i was applying to usc and everything, i heard so much about the DANGEROUS neighborhood and vicinity of the usc campus. when i visited in april (and a few days ago actually), i was expecting something along the lines of harlem... and uh...it's nothing like harlem lol. maybe i'm just a new york G (lmao), but i don't think it's that -- it's not as bad as people proclaim it to be. true, there seems to be nothing to do there (compared to ucla's westwood having 342234234234234 things to do..i think?), but it's not some suicide zone. it's just like any metropolitan area: don't wander out on the streets at 3 am alone.

but i do have a question. after i made my usc email and everyting, i get all those crime reports. it seems that crime/theft still happens in the afternoons? lol

dont worry too much about the crime reports. 90% of the time, it happens because someone left a door open, or left their bag and was away for a few minutes, or someone was walking alone in the residential area. i never experienced a theft in my 5 years that i was there. i think the worst is maybe a bike theft. that's just random luck of the draw, but if you place your bike in the center of the pack, most likely they'll steal the other ones. :P

as for south central...SC's located on the border of south central/downtown. if you drive in deeper towards the south, it does get worse.

and finally...at least ktown is a 5 minute drive away! take that westwood! :wacko:

Guest josebiwasabi

lol Eddie, the new york "G" :lol: whats up? :)

heh. yay for USC. i'm gonna be a freshman there starting in august, too.

Archived