[TAIWAN DRAMA 2010] 鍾無艷 / ZHONG WU YEN

Guest t3n5h1_chu_k015h173

MING DAO, CHERYL YANG
Eddie to take over Ethan's new drama role?

For an unconfirmed drama project titled �鍾無艷� (Wu Yen), recent rumors have surfaced that SETTV is looking to cast Ethan Ruan and Cheryl Yang again as couples. Unfortunately, drama fans of �My Queen� will not be able to see this popular pairing again as Ethan has turned down the offer. Thus, SETTV is now turning towards the newly actor-turned-singer Eddie Peng to take over. It won�t be the first time for Eddie and Cheryl to work together because they have previously been in the CTS drama, �我只在乎你� (Only You, 2005).

Previous rumors pointed out that Cheryl and SETTV�s relationship turned sour after she turned down acting in �那一年的幸福時光� (The Happy Times of That Year). Now SETTV hopes to rebuild their good relationship as they hope to cast Cheryl in the new drama project. Although the project is still unconfirmed, Eddie�s management company reveals that they have indeed been contacted, but it is still in discussion. Eddie is currently in the midst of promoting his new debut album.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ming Dao takes 80% pay cut to film new SETTV idol drama

Posted by fufu on 6/08/2010

As we previously reported, Eddie Peng was rumored to be potentially casted in SETTV’s new drama, “鍾無艷” (Wu Yen). But news just came out today that it will be Ming Dao to play the role. Furthermore, he is willing to take an 80% pay cut for it! Just yesterday, Ming Dao went to SETTV to try out the different image styles for the new role.

Three years ago, after finishing the drama, Ying Ye 3 Jia 1 (櫻野3加1), Ming Dao left SETTV and ventured to the Mainland because he felt the pay at SETTV was too low. As the top Taiwanese idol drama lead, his pay rose up to a hundred fifty thousand RMB per episode (~ NT$710,000). Although he has starred in other dramas in the last few years like Knock Knock Loving You and Always Smile!, the ratings to these dramas were unable to break his previous records at SETTV. In order to maintain his top status as an idol drama actor, he is willing to give up his high pay in Mainland to take on a new project in Taiwan.

In the past few years, Ming Dao and Ethan Ruan have often been in the news regarding being casted in dramas. Ming Dao’s popularity skyrocketed after starring in the 2005 hit series, Prince Turns To Frog. He turned down the role for Fated To Love You, which went to Ethan Ruan. Fated To Love You surpassed Prince Turns To Frog and became the highest rated idol drama in history and of course, Ethan has been on the rise ever since. It’s hard not to imagine that Ming Dao must have regretted not taking the role.

SETTV’s new drama, Wu Yen, has been having a tough time casting their male lead. There have been rumors of casting Ethan Ruan or Eddie Peng. However, Ethan has decided to continue his path in movies, while other rumors say that Eddie was out of question due to his high price. In any case, Ming Dao fans will be pleased to hear that he is coming back to the Taiwanese drama market to snatch some high ratings.

• 1 month later...

Cheryl Yang and Ming Dao get ready for new drama

Cheryl Yang and Ming Dao filmed the ending theme for their upcoming SETTV drama Zhong Wu Yan (鍾無艷) on the 28th. In contrast to the birthmark on Cheryl Yang’s character, Ming Dao revealed that he actually had a real birth defect of his own.

As a child, he suffered from ligament and muscle problems that forbade him from walking properly. The young Ming Dao wore leg braces as a result but never felt discriminated. After rehabilitation and nightly massages by his dad, he eventually recovered and went on to participate in track races.

The actor said everyone has imperfections, but they should be dealt with under a positive mindset. He remembers the time when he attended kindergarten, the principal would carry him and feed him, even making other students envious. Cheryl Yang added, “The imperfections of a person might be unique in someone else’s eyes. One’s body, hair and skin belong to their parents. They are also a gift from the greater power.”

Following the likes of Van Ness Wu and Ethan Ruan, who showed off their 6-pack in idol dramas, Ming Dao is working out to get his “bod” ready. Despite losing 2 kg, he said he might not be able to satisfy those viewers who wish to count his muscles, but he guaranteed it will look healthy and comfortable.

UDN reported that Chris Wu (吳慷仁) from Autumn's Concerto will also be in this drama.

• 2 weeks later...

Zhong Wu Yen debuts with mediocre ratings

Cheryl Yang returned to TV for the first time since My Queen with her new drama this past Sunday. Zhong Wu Yen kept SETTV in first place as expected, but its average rating of 2.7% was the lowest debut for the network since Fated to Love You, which started off with a modest 2.56% but went on to be a huge hit. Some viewers commented that Zhong Wu Yen was not as entertaining as the 2001 movie, while others said it would have been better if Cheryl Yang was paired up with her My Queen costar Ethan Ruan instead.

A slow start for Zhong Wu Yen meant a closer race for the rest of the dramas that followed behind. Summer’s Desire drew the best ratings of its run so far with an average of 1.94%. The drama was highlighted by Barbie Hsu’s plead to Peter Ho to save her dying brother, because in the world of melodramas, he happens to be the only person with a kidney of a matching blood type… Rounding out the list are Calling For Love and Scent of Love with average ratings of 0.72% and 0.60% respectively.

The big news was yet again Rookies’ Diary on Friday night. Episode 4 of the FTV drama surpassed Fated to Love You to make history with an average rating of 11.74%, and a highest rated segment of 13.88%. Meanwhile, Guess Guess Guess got a fresh start on Saturday night with new hosts Harlem Yu and Selina. The show drew 1.55%, trailing behind Zhu Ge’s Return at 3.84% and Super Idol season 5 at 1.76%.

Guest toGETherONE

I like Cheryl Yang a lot. I'll be watching this; the Zhong Wu Yan story is a classic and now TW has put a modern twist to the story. Does anyone know if any Sub Team will take this project?

Guest zkkhtet

Why do I only watch dramas that no one else is watching? sweatingbullets.gif LOL

I've seen only a little bit of this but I plan on watching all four aired episodes this week. We'll see how it goes. I like Cheryl from My Queen so I'm going to watch her here again. 

Do not worry i also watching this series......

Guest mzpoonie

I liked how the series started with the original ancient times story of Zhong Wu Yen, kinda wished they did the entire drama like that :T

Archived