Son Ye-Jin 손예진 [Drama “Thirty-Nine” (JTBC/NETFLIX)]

Helena

Guest jjyy738

Hi everyone! I am new here.I cannot say thank you enough for all the beautiful photos here. I am a fan of Son Ye Jin and love her after watching the wonderful and all-time classic "Alone in Love." Thanks cris14 for all the lovely pictures of SYJ. I posted some of the them in Kdrama and shared with my friends. I hope you don't mind. They don't really know English that well and they don't feel comfortable coming here.

I love how all of the comments here are friendly and courteous. Somehow there are a lot of fans who are anti Ye Jin, saying that she is too old for LMH and the female lead should be Koo Hye Sun. lol. Oh well. I guess that they don't know what kind of superstar SYJ is in Korea and across Asia. LMH is surely lucky to work with her. He can even have passionate kiss with her!! I am a girl, and I am envious of him, NOT her.

Will come back later~~ thanks again! :wub:

Guest chatteraddict

Hi everyone! I am new here.I cannot say thank you enough for all the beautiful photos here. I am a fan of Son Ye Jin and love her after watching the wonderful and all-time classic "Alone in Love." Thanks cris14 for all the lovely pictures of SYJ. I posted some of the them in Kdrama and shared with my friends. I hope you don't mind. They don't really know English that well and they don't feel comfortable coming here.

I love how all of the comments here are friendly and courteous. Somehow there are a lot of fans who are anti Ye Jin, saying that she is too old for LMH and the female lead should be Koo Hye Sun. lol. Oh well. I guess that they don't know what kind of superstar SYJ is in Korea and across Asia. LMH is surely lucky to work with her. He can even have passionate kiss with her!! I am a girl, and I am envious of him, NOT her.

Will come back later~~ thanks again! :wub:

Hey jjyy738! Are you new here in Soompi? Welcome and welcome to SYJ thread! We're glad to see new people here everyday and we're all glad that fans are becoming bigger after Personal Taste. Im glad you like Alone In Love, i think its SYJs greatest performance, oh i can't say anything but praises for that drama. My favorite part was when she sang at the wedding...classic.

All of us are nice here and i dont think there was ever a time where there was any argument about SYJ, whether good comment or bad we take it as constructive and helpful insight, we even address each other via our first name... If you want you can share yours!

By the way, ask your friends from kdrama to join this thread, we're all very nice here and no problem with bad english, we dont mind!

You can tell us more about what you like about SYJ and your favorite projects of her. Me together with Cris, Cheryl, Helena (I think she's just taking a break with k-entertainment now) Ann,valley girl, and the rest of SYJ fans are happy to welcome you and new members here!

Guest marcopolo

Hi everyone! I am new here.I cannot say thank you enough for all the beautiful photos here. I am a fan of Son Ye Jin and love her after watching the wonderful and all-time classic "Alone in Love." Thanks cris14 for all the lovely pictures of SYJ. I posted some of the them in Kdrama and shared with my friends. I hope you don't mind. They don't really know English that well and they don't feel comfortable coming here. I love how all of the comments here are friendly and courteous. Somehow there are a lot of fans who are anti Ye Jin, saying that she is too old for LMH and the female lead should be Koo Hye Sun. lol. Oh well. I guess that they don't know what kind of superstar SYJ is in Korea and across Asia. LMH is surely lucky to work with her. He can even have passionate kiss with her!! I am a girl, and I am envious of him, NOT her. Will come back later~~ thanks again! :wub:

Hello there, im a noob here too! haha :lol: this forum is really helpful in keeping us fans up to date on SYJ. (Thank you for posting updates, everyone!) Anyway, her anti fans are just a bunch of mindless kids who devotedly think that LMH belongs to Koo Hye Sun. Personally, I think that it's the other way around, it is LMH who's too young for SYJ. I am biased, I know. haha :lol: But she's actually around the same age as her character Gae-in (according to the novel, she's in her late twenties i think), Jin-Ho should be around the same age as Gae-in and LMH is only what? 23? Those anti fans should do the math and figure out whose actual age is not fit for his character. Tho in fairness to LMH, he did a good job (acting-wise) so i really don't have a problem with him. hehe Till next time!:)

Guest jjyy738

Hey jjyy738! Are you new here in Soompi? Welcome and welcome to SYJ thread! We're glad to see new people here everyday and we're all glad that fans are becoming bigger after Personal Taste. Im glad you like Alone In Love, i think its SYJs greatest performance, oh i can't say anything but praises for that drama. My favorite part was when she sang at the wedding...classic.

All of us are nice here and i dont think there was ever a time where there was any argument about SYJ, whether good comment or bad we take it as constructive and helpful insight, we even address each other via our first name... If you want you can share yours!

By the way, ask your friends from kdrama to join this thread, we're all very nice here and no problem with bad english, we dont mind!

You can tell us more about what you like about SYJ and your favorite projects of her. Me together with Cris, Cheryl, Helena (I think she's just taking a break with k-entertainment now) Ann,valley girl, and the rest of SYJ fans are happy to welcome you and new members here!

hi chatteraddict: thank you for your warm welcome!I am so glad that everyone here is so sensible and mature. :w00t: I guess being a fan of Ye Jin, one has to be sensible since throughout her career she avoids to attract fanatics.

Actually I am not completely new to soompi. I checked out son ye jin thread years ago when I finished watching Alone in Love, which I think remains until today to be the best and the most exceptional Korean TV dramas ever produced and I've been watching Korean dramas for more than a decade. I knew Son Ye Jin when she begun her career with the films like "The Classic" and "A Moment to Remember." But honestly, in these films, the male leads outshined her although she received recognition through these films. In the Classic, Jo Seung Woo is charismatic and in "A Moment to Remember,"Jung Woo-sung is simply more experienced.

The first time I see that Son Ye jin begun to realize what acting is in April Snow. The funny thing is that everyone talked about this film because of BYJ. However, it is Son Ye Jin's reserved and yet passionate performance that successfully delivers the desire and the pain being involved in extramarital affair. I have to say, the bed scene she had with BYJ demonstrated that Ye Jin begun to use her "body" to act. Not in the sense that she shows her body, but in the sense that she uses her body to express emotion, instead of simply relying on teary eyes. I remember how she was panting with desire and fear when kissing BJY. And frankly, I am a bit allergic to the exaggerated and overly melodramatic performances typical in Korean films and TV dramas. This film is not perfect, but it certainly is refreshing if we disregard how it is really a copycat of Wong Kai Wai's " In the Mood for Love."

But then I saw Alone in Love. Like Yuta-rule puts is much earlier in the thread (ha yes. I spent two days to finish the whole thread), it's too good to be true. I couldn't believe it's Son Ye Jin who is performing that mundane character Eun-ho. First of all, her body changed. She obviously looks heavier in order to look like a gym trainer. Also, the way she rides bikes is simply like how a fit athletic person will ride a bike (instead of the typical fragile image of SYJ). Then her facial expression becomes much more subtle and reserved, and yet rich with emotions through body language and certain postures. And of course, the success of SYJ has to go to, apart from Ye Jin's effort and talent, the director and all the people working to bring us such a wonderful TV series. Gam Wu-seong's acting is also equally impeccable. I can write a whole book on Alone in Love-especially given that I've read the original novel.

But to make it short, I love every minute performance of Ye Jin in this drama. Of course, her potential as an actress explodes onto the screen during the pickle scene. The camera didn't allow us to see her face but behind her back. She was bereaved and angry, detailing how her mother, her son, and Dong-jin were taken away from her. We only saw her face when she finally collapsing in front of her sister--Ye Jin's face was twisted and soaked in tears. Seriously, this is the only time I cried over watching Korean TV drama and it's the most heartbroken and powerful scene. And of course, when she went back to Dong-jin's apartment, she was savoring every memory she shared with Dong-jin, I love how she didn't use her typical teary eyes to express the feeling of nostalgia. Rather, her eyes are sad but yet with certain melancholia. I mean real heartache will not necessarily let us cry. Her voice-over here is simply amazing.

Wow. I am writing too long. Glad to be here!

Guest jjyy738

Hello there, im a noob here too! haha :lol: this forum is really helpful in keeping us fans up to date on SYJ. (Thank you for posting updates, everyone!) Anyway, her anti fans are just a bunch of mindless kids who devotedly think that LMH belongs to Koo Hye Sun. Personally, I think that it's the other way around, it is LMH who's too young for SYJ. I am biased, I know. haha :lol: But she's actually around the same age as her character Gae-in (according to the novel, she's in her late twenties i think), Jin-Ho should be around the same age as Gae-in and LMH is only what? 23? Those anti fans should do the math and figure out whose actual age is not fit for his character. Tho in fairness to LMH, he did a good job (acting-wise) so i really don't have a problem with him. hehe Till next time!:)

Actually the funny thing is ...my Korean friends are all kind of surprised that Son Ye Jin would even consider this role and work with LMH. I guess in Korea, SYJ is really highly respected almost like a goddess and in comparison, LMH is really a newcomer. Some of my Korean friends who didn't even bother to watch BOF since they thought it's catered to teenagers and my Korean friends are only college kids. I guess SYJ is not really well known outside Korea compared to Song Hye Kyo and Yoon Eun-hye but she actually is more high-up in star status (because Koreans respect movie stars more--and SYJ is awarded multiple times).

Frankly, there are some flaws in SYJ's performance in Personal Taste and partly because it's the problem of script writer and it's partly because LMH didn't get the feel of the JH at the beginning of the drama. We can see how SYJ is really trying hard--almost too hard at the very beginning of the drama. In the middle of the series, the drama turns much better. Frankly, it's because the chemistry between SYJ and LMH starts to emanate from the screen. When LMH acted alone, his acting is really very typical and very LMH-like. On the contrary, SYJ is totally on a different level even though she makes mistakes.

The only good thing about SYJ performing in Personal Taste is that younger generations get to know SYJ. It's so funny that people prefer YEH because originally she is about to participate in this drama. No offense, but doesn't Yoon Eun-Hye play in this kind of romantic drama ALL THE TIME? Oh well. Even Song Hye Kyo tries to become a real actress through "Worlds Within"--although her performance is still subpar.

I guess because of SYJ and her Alone in Love, the bar has been set very high. Imagine. She is actually younger than SHK. When she was younger than Eun-hye (she is only 2 years older than EH), she already has an epic performance like she did in Alone in Love.

Anyway. There is no other Son Ye Jin. I hope that she can become another Maggie Cheung!! :wub:

Guest cris14

jjyy738: I think you just put in a lot words in a page here, :w00t: we should call you by your first name don't you think? !!! :lol: hahahha

but seriously, I enjoyed reading your comments and WELCOME to this thread! It's so nice to have someone in here whom base on what you have written has been a fan of SYJ for a long time..just like what Andrea(chatteraddict)said, people here are nice and very welcoming. We're family here. A family who supports SYJ. And thank you for spreading pictures..I really don't mind people spreading them. It's a good thing actually. I mean, why do we post something here in the first place right? ;)

Anyways, do you speak korean? Because it would really help a lot if we have somebody here who could translate a lot of SYJ vids. Most of us if not all doesn't speak and understand korean. So since you have korean friends, I would assume you understand and speak korean or maybe I am wrong :tears: If you can't, no worries. :D

Another one good thing about YJ is that she doesn't really mind bad comments and anti fans. We can see through her performance and how she choose projects..she can be really fearless!

We are a fan not critics.. :sweatingbullets: So don't mind them. Remember a statue is not built in honor of a critic... :rolleyes:

And again, welcome to you and I hope to see you post sometimes..okay?

please share also if you have something about YJ...

And invite people! We don't really care about bad english..A hi and hello would be very much appreciated heheheh ^_^

Call me cris friend!!!

@jjyy738: wow, I just went through your posts. They were so great and we are happy to welcome another fan of Son Ye Jin. I love your posts and your analysis on SYJ's series and movies, especially Alone In Love. I watched it myself after it was aired in Korea and I had to admit that SYJ's acting was way better than her debut drama (Delicious Proposal). As I followed Son Ye Jin from the beginning with her debut (I was a teenager at that time), I could see how significant her acting has been improving. That is the main reason she became my favorite actress at all time. Her acting skill can make someone cry and laugh through the characters in movies and dramas. We, fans, followed her in each project, so we all can see how she challenged and changed herself through each role. It is as she has more than one personality.

Anyway, I cannot write as much as you :) but welcome and enjoy your time here. Please share any info or pics if you come across, we appreciate your help and contribution ^^

@cris: thanks for the signing pics :) happy to see our Son Ye Jin again after PT.

Guest jjyy738

jjyy738: I think you just put in a lot words in a page here, :w00t: we should call you by your first name don't you think? !!! :lol: hahahha

but seriously, I enjoyed reading your comments and WELCOME to this thread! It's so nice to have someone in here whom base on what you have written has been a fan of SYJ for a long time..just like what Andrea(chatteraddict)said, people here are nice and very welcoming. We're family here. A family who supports SYJ. And thank you for spreading pictures..I really don't mind people spreading them. It's a good thing actually. I mean, why do we post something here in the first place right? ;)

Anyways, do you speak korean? Because it would really help a lot if we have somebody here who could translate a lot of SYJ vids. Most of us if not all doesn't speak and understand korean. So since you have korean friends, I would assume you understand and speak korean or maybe I am wrong :tears: If you can't, no worries. :D

Another one good thing about YJ is that she doesn't really mind bad comments and anti fans. We can see through her performance and how she choose projects..she can be really fearless!

We are a fan not critics.. :sweatingbullets: So don't mind them. Remember a statue is not built in honor of a critic... :rolleyes:

And again, welcome to you and I hope to see you post sometimes..okay?

please share also if you have something about YJ...

And invite people! We don't really care about bad english..A hi and hello would be very much appreciated heheheh ^_^

Call me cris friend!!!

Cris: Actually I just made myself a bad name here Kdrama so I might not be able to bring any people here. ^.^ Maybe some people here are also from kdrama too--then I'll be in big trouble!! (lol) So if you guys find my comments too direct, please do tell me. I live in East Coast so I am very straightforward. And I can be very critical and that's exactly why I love Son Ye Jin--because she is always hardworking and adventurous regardless good or bad criticism. And she thrives from negative criticisms and rumors. Her maturity at her age is unrivaled.

So the whole drama derives from this: I am just too honest because I am trying to say that LMH's performance still needs improvement compared to our Ye Jin. LMH is doing much better now, but there is a significant gap between them. The truth of the fact is that I actually think Ye Jin's performance in Personal Taste is not perfect either. Somehow I think she tried too much in the very beginning and frankly I think the script writing earlier in the series is rather confusing. And also her partners in the drama do not pair up with her at the early stage, so that she has to perform aggressively. There is one article from 10-Asia addressing this problem too. (I think I can find the link but Cris, do you have it?) For me, I know that Ye Jin can digest every character so naturally. but at the very beginning, I sense that there is unbalance in her acting. Does any of you feel the same or me being too picky?

Also, I resent the way Personal Taste portray gay people, making them into one fixed stereotype (feminine and what not). I know Personal Taste is a romantic comedy, and I should not take it so seriously. But it is also SYJ's work and I know that she treats all her projects, big or small, seriously. I guess I just have such a great expectation for SYJ. :sweatingbullets: Even for White Night, I wish there could be more interactions between her and Ko Soo (don't we all crave for it? lol) Because somehow their relationship is not clearly and convincingly portrayed.

Unfortunately I don't read Koreans. ( I can read Japanese though..XD) But I have friends who read Korean and always share with me news about SYJ. I will try to bring some information. :) Frankly, most of my Korean friends love SYJ, but they don't treat her like idols by following her fashion. (But I do!! She is such a fashionista). But they always go see her films in the theater since all of her works have appeal to them.

BTW, some of my friends are originally LMH-SYJ shippers. Now after witnessing the episode that happens to me, they are joining me for KS-SYJ shippers. lol. I actually love LMH, and now I become a fan of him too. It's obvious that he has clear transformation in this drama. But somehow I can understand the difficulties of being an idol like him where the support of fans can become obstacles paradoxically. But I believe that one day he can pass this stage and achieve what our Ye Jin has achieved by having some unconventional and classy works!

sorry. I am wordy again!

Guest cris14

jjyy738: that's okay! we all get too wordy sometimes..I have nothing against LMH. I think he is pretty mature too for his age..I mean imagine him being 25 or 28 right? So in my opinion he is doing pretty well.

about being too direct, that's okay too. Really no problem about that. I myself think that at the beginning of PT. She over doing it a bit..Maybe because we are not used to seeing her like that, so that came out as off to most people. But as the drama progresses, I understood why she has to act like that..It's kind off for awhile and then it grews on me.

White night, yeah more interactions would have helped the film a lot!! but well any it was an excellent performance so, all in all it was a good movie..not something I would watch over and over but I would have to say very well performed.

Amazing acting performance from KS and SYJ and of course HSK!

all of the characters actually..

Can't wait for your infos.. :wacko:

Guest jjyy738

cris:

I cannot post the link. Can you tell me how to do it?

This is from my favorite 10-Asia. My Korean friends also recommend this to me. They read it all the time too.

http://10.asiae.co.kr/Articles/new_view.htm?sec=ent0&a_id=2010041216520368024

http://10.asiae.co.kr/Articles/new_view.htm?sec=ent0&a_id=2010041616354695205

I want to point out here:

10. The best and worst case scenarios for the dramas:

"Personal Taste"Best: Lee Min-ho is offered 15 commercials. Son Ye-jin will always be Son Ye-jin. Son Hyung-suk no longer has nightmares about drama "Every Night." Kim Ji-suk enters the military with his fans cheering him on. Domestic and international fans all stampede to visit "Sanggojae."

Worst: Even Son Ye-jin makes mistakes. Lee Min-ho is busy looking for a follow-up drama. Kim Ji-suk and Wang Ji-hea are just up and coming stars that fail to meet expectations. The best work to date by Son Hyung-suk is "Auction House."

I just love how even though the reporter is critical of SYJ, he still puts it, "Son Ye-jin will always be Son Ye-jin."

Guest cris14

jjyy738: put %7Boption%7D for image and URL for the links.. and then you are good to go!

Hahaha yeah she will always seen and yes SYJ is SYJ!. I dont get what they mean about yejin making mistakes!?

what's that suppose to mean? :lol:

and also try to cut when you reply to long posts, they don't like that here..

Guest jjyy738

jjyy738: put at the beginning of the phrase and then at the end..for image and and then you are good to go!

Hahaha yeah she will always seen and yes SYJ is SYJ!. I dont get what they mean about yejin making mistakes!?

what's that suppose to mean? :lol:

It's kind of funny. When I first learned this expression (I am not a native speaker), it appeared in Sports Illustrated in their portrayal of Michael Jordan. So when I saw this sentence, I am in awe. So even in the eyes of strict critics, she is irreplaceable. Yes. Jordan in Korean entertainment world. :wub:

and also try to cut when you reply to long posts, they don't like that here..

Guest cris14

well guys! I am off for work now! :tears:

As much as I would love to stay longer but I really have to work :( . hihih

jjy738: nice meeting you and I would love to chat with you here more!!

thanks for the info! I will be back!

SYJ Fighting!

BE the REDS!!!

Guest quidotta

about being too direct, that's okay too. Really no problem about that. I myself think that at the beginning of PT. She over doing it a bit..Maybe because we are not used to seeing her like that, so that came out as off to most people. But as the drama progresses, I understood why she has to act like that..It's kind off for awhile and then it grews on me.

White night, yeah more interactions would have helped the film a lot!! but well any it was an excellent performance so, all in all it was a good movie..not something I would watch over and over but I would have to say very well performed.

Amazing acting performance from KS and SYJ and of course HSK!

all of the characters actually..

Son Ye-jin hasn't done comedies in a while. She has always portrayed such a sexy, mature image on the big screen that the audience has, in a way, stereotyped her in that image. Hence, when she acted in a comedic or naive role such as that in Personal Taste, I guess the audience could not get used to the transformation.

White Night was really intense but the climax really came at the end of the movie when Son Ye-jin's character looked at Ko Soo's character first in shock, then with a deadly yet emotionally detached calmness. I would agree that more interactions would serve the story better and make the relationship between the two more believable. I guess the director got a little too sidetracked by the theme of black and white and neglected the storyline a bit. That said, I love the cinematography. It's great!