Son Ye-Jin 손예진 [Drama “Thirty-Nine” (JTBC/NETFLIX)]

Helena

my gosh my work today is 5pm-2am and i am not even sleeping yet..heheh

cant sleep!

they are bestfriends i think...

i always see them together and really close..is this her sis? i really dont know what her sister look like..

capture3.jpg

Guest kdramafanusa

Re: SYJ & her leading men: Wow, KMM is such a gentleman giving his tie to SYJ use as a handkerchief; he even helped her down the stairs :wub:

They walked the red carpet at some events too - Korean Film Awards I think.

He's such an amazing actor, many of us drama fans were so excited when it was announced that they would star in Open City together - it was after their award winning performances in Alone In Love & White Tower. It's too bad that the movie wasn't good, I would love to see them in a great production again.

Ye-Jin and her leading men tend to appear at BaekSang together.....let me find some pics..

Kim Joo-Hyuk and late actress Choi Jin-Shil (last year's winners) presented TV Section's Best Actor & Best Actress to Kim Myung-Min (for White Tower) and Son Ye-Jin (for Alone In Love) in April 2007. Ye-Jin later worked with KMM in Open City; she also teamed up with KJH in My Wife Got Married.

2007042521070010011.jpg

http://www.newsen.com/news_view.php?uid=200704252107001001

nisi200704250004277173w.jpg

nisi200704250004277175w.jpg

BaekSang 2007: TV & Film Sections' Best Actor & Actress winners

nisi200704250004277171w.jpg

Haha. Jo Seung-Woo & Song Il-Gook were there too, their works 'Tazza' and 'Jumong' won Grand Prize in the Film and TV sections, respectively.

2007042519552815801_1.jpg

love this dress on her...

200704250460.jpg

KMM & SYJ returned as presenters at BaekSang 2008

kp1_080424106500.jpg

When I saw pics of Joo Jin-Mo at the VIP screening of White Night, I thought he would be her next co-star. Hehe..

~~

Ye-Jin in pink & yellow.

1264992252348_1.jpg1264992250948_2.jpg

http://image.inews24.com/image_joy/201002/...992250948_2.jpg

Guest chatteraddict

moon geunyoong and SYJ together in a film or series is something i have always been anticipating since MGY is one of my fave when it comes to acting ability regardless of age..playing sisters would be nice since they resemble a bit.

MGY was in Lovers Concerto, she was the younger sister of Cha Tae Hyun, they they didnt have scenes together,. technically its a movie they both appeared in.. Cris, thanks for the pics, what are those,websites?

Thinking about it, SYJ had worked mostly with top actors in Korea, she does have a good list of movies in her resume. can't wait for news re the new drama

Guest Seoul GC man

Thank heaps cris14 & kdramafanusa. for the constant SYJ updates. Great to see u guys are still so active in here.

OHui Pics & Wallpaper - Feb 2010

2010021024.jpg

Found a bigger version to the one posted by kdramafanusa.

news_12650176319680.jpg

news_12650176700670.jpg

OHui/LG Health Care

andrea, yeah i remember..i am so forgetful!

she is the new model for chatelaine (syateuren as they pronounce in korea hehe)..

i remember helena mentioning the previous model, i forgot the name. (how forgetful)

helena, who knows maybe SYJ and JJM will be working soon..cant wait for that!

thanks for the pics.

ax, welcome!

SGC, thanks for that bigger versions too..so pretty.

3_1_1.gif

from syj gallery

a scene from baekyaheng movie..really want to see this already!

additional ohui pic..

_1_3.jpg

and here is the vid BTS..just click the one after the "more" on the left side..

well, just browse this blog you will see a lot of BTS vids..mostly pictorials..

nice blog.

http://blog.naver.com/a12434/140099852674

Guest kdramafanusa

she is the new model for chatelaine (syateuren as they pronounce in korea hehe)..

i remember helena mentioning the previous model, i forgot the name. (how forgetful)

helena, who knows maybe SYJ and JJM will be working soon..cant wait for that!

The previous model was actress Lee Mi-Yeon who will also be returning to the small screen in a sageuk.

She & JJM will make a gorgeous pair. :)

At Blue Dragon 2007, the camera zoomed in on JJM when SYJ was onstage. I thought they would make a good pairing back then already. hehe..

<clip> http://gall.dcinside.com/list.php?id=sonye...page=1&bbs=

This year's BaekSang will be held on March 26. I checked the official homepage, I don't see the nominee list yet....

http://blog.naver.com/ssddss99?Redirect=Lo...No=130079462179

^ I guess this is just a prediction from this blog.

[Film Section]

남자 최우수연기상 [best Actor]

Ha Jung-Woo 하정우(Take Off 국가대표)

Kim Myung-Min 김명민 (Closer To Heaven 내사랑내곁에)

Song Kang-Ho 송강호 (Thirst 박쥐)

Seol Kyung-Gu 설경구 (No Mercy 용서는없다)

Kang Dong-Won 강동원 (Jeon Woo Chi 전우치)

여자 최우수연기상 [best Actress]

Kim Hye-Ja 김혜자 (Mother 마더)

Ha Ji-Won 하지원 (Closer To Heaven 내사랑내곁에)

Choi Kang-Hee 최강희 (Goodbye Mom 애자)

Kim Ok-Bin 김옥빈 (Thirst 박쥐)

Son Ye-Jin 손예진 (White Night 백야행)

White Night DVD. Rental version is available on Feb 26, so it's probably March for subbed DVD.

http://shopping.naver.com/bridge/simple_de...;frm=nv_product

Guest kdramafanusa

The previous model was actress Lee Mi-Yeon who will also be returning to the small screen in a sageuk.

I forgot to mention that Lee Mi-Yeon (won Best Actress at Blue Dragon '2000) was the presenter at 2008 Blue Dragon Film Awards; Ye-Jin received the Best Actress award from her. She comforted a crying Ye-Jin.

8bu75147_14.jpg

gif from DC -> ye005wp0.gif

left to right: Park Jin-Hee (MBC 'Still, Marry Me'), Son Ye-Jin (MBC 'Personal Taste' in 4/2010), Lee Mi-Yeon (KBS 'Merchant Kim ManDeok' in 3/2010), Han Chae-Young (MBC 'A Man called God' in 3/2010)

201002020475.jpg

row 1: Lee Mi-Yeon (KBS 'Merchant Kim ManDeok'), Go Hyun-Jung (MBC 'Daemul'), Moon Geun-Young (KBS 'Cinderella Unni'), Han Hyo-Joo (MBC 'Dong Yi')

row 2: Son Ye-Jin (MBC 'Personal Taste'), Kim Ha-Neul (MBC 'Road No.1'), So Ji-Sub (MBC 'Road No.1'), Choi Min-Soo (MBC 'Road No.1')

201001270940502100_1.jpg

ax, yeah i dont know why SYJ tracker closed..but there is www.iyejin.com it's in english..rarely update

i hope someone will make another website of her..i want to but i dont know how..heheh

so all my efforts go here in soompi.

helena, thanks for mentioning.

i am crossing my fingers for yejin if she is really in for baeksang..

we will get to see her and go soo again! heheh (i hope)

i know this too long but try reading..

ALONE IN LOVE review by ripgal..

I have been watching Korean Dramas for almost a decade. And over the 10 years, I’ve seen countless dramas ranging from comedy to melodrama and to quirky. You name it. But when I gave it a deeper thought the other day, I actually never got to watch a drama which was completely devoid of all the usual and typical K-drama cliches. You know, the poor-girl-falls-for-rich-guy story, the cancer-stricken-almost-dying story, the stepbrother-sister-falling-in-love story, and the most rehashed theme of all time, the live-together-and-fall-in-love story. It’s like I’ve been watching the same type of dramas for so many freaking years. And it’s not to say that I detest all those dramas (because I still love watching them, up until this very moment. Who doesn’t love to indulge in fantasy, right? ), but at one moment in time, I suddenly felt like I’d wasted so much time on those dramas and missed out on those quieter yet meaningful dramas. You know? The kind of dramas which, apart from the entertainment value, allows you to really relate to in deeper and more emotional way?

Alone in Love falls in that category. Definitely.

It took me a whole month to actually finish Alone In Love, what with the over-powering Chuno airing at the same, and with other unfinished dramas to get rid off. Time management got really out of hand. T_T But I’m so glad I didn’t rush thru this drama, and instead, I took the time to actually feel and understand it. There were times when I only watched an episode a day, sometimes half an episode – just to replay and process the scenes in my mind. There were times when I just laughed out loud in one particular moment, and teared up in another. And there were times when I just sat in front of my TV, dumbstruck and just blown away by how silently engaging, emotional, and powerful the drama was.

Little did I know, that by the end of it, I would feel so euphoric, and so emotionally satisfied.

I remember the first time I watched the first episode of AIL online 2 years ago. I heard a lot of rave reviews about the drama, and decided to give it a try. And shockingly (now that I think of it), after having seen only 45 mins, I got turned off by how boring and slow it was. I immediately moved on to other dramas, and AIL just became history…at least for 2 years. So you would have known by now, that I totally, utterly regretted that. How could I possibly have regarded AIL as “boring and slow”?!! >.< I must have zoned out or something back then.

I did a research on the writer and director who made the drama, and whilst I found nothing much on the latter, I was super surprised to find out that the writer Park Yeon Seon had actually written My Tutor, Friend (starring Kwon Sang Woo and Kim Ha Neul), the Korean romantic comedy on film that I’ve ever ever loved! And I was even more surprised when I went on to discover that the writer had also penned the quirky Evasive Inquiry Agency. You know, the drama with the quirkiest and strangest ensemble cast ever? All about a team hunting for a mysterious treasure? They’re genres so different in comparison to AIL, and yet, they all managed to hit it BIG! I never got to finish EIA, not because I didn’t like it or anything (in fact I LOVED it), but because life just moved on too quickly in 2007, with too many dramas to watch (and that said, a lot of them were super quality dramas), and I just left EIA hanging (all episodes still in my HD, phew.. lucky!).

Okay, back to AIL before I stray away for too long.

What I loved about AIL, I cannot put into exact words. I don’t think my writing or thoughts would ever do justice, or ever reflect the goodness and heart of this drama. But I’d love to try, and I hope it would make others appreciate this gem ever than before.

This drama struck a chord with me because it was real. It was fun. And it was touching. A simple story about a divorced couple going thru ups and downs in life together as friends, and the same time, finding out that they still have lingering feelings for each other. That’s it, it’s just that simple. For once, the main guy wasn’t super rich, and the main girl isn’t super poor or ugly. For once, there wasn’t constant bickering, fighting and screaming. And for once, everything just seemed…so ordinary, and so normal. And YET even without those overbearing cliches, this drama managed to touch my heart like no other drama (save for MISA and Thank You) has ever ever done before.

The simplistic story-telling was no doubt a touch of brilliance. All the drama needed was just a simple melody to accompany the storyline and the top-notch acting by Son Ye Jin, Gam Woo Sung and the rest of the actors. Nothing else. At times the drama didn’t even require any dialogue, and yet you could just pretty much feel what’s going thru each and every single character. Every episode seemed like a frame of life surrounding the characters, giving us insights into what and how normal people live, regardless of whether they’re rich, poor, single, married…etc. There were no evil characters, no far-fetched and overbearing sub-plots (you know, go figure..hehe..), no OTT humor, no emotional-breakdown crying scenes, and the most important thing of all (in K-drama land rom-coms), no kissing scenesbetween the couple! What was needed – a simple story of faith, and good inner acting by the actors, all of which were nailed brilliantly from tip to toe.

If I were to describe the essence of AIL, I would call it a lesson of faith and a journey depicting one’s realization of love for another. So simplistically portrayed by the director, but yet it encompassed feelings and emotions so complicated and complex, that one would need some time to digest and savour. Eun Ho (played by Son Ye Jin) and Dong Jin (played by Gam Woo Sung) share with each other this very odd relationship, after having been divorced for some years due to a misunderstanding that never came to light until the very late into the drama. They have breakfast together, they meet each other up a few times over the week with their friends, they joke with each other, they tease each other, they care for each other (albeit unknowingly)… In short, they do things that you normally wouldn’t expect from a divorced couple (at least in K-drama land). However, the brilliance of their story really came from within. How they emoted and expressed their feelings thru unsaid words, thru small glances, thru heartfelt thoughts of each other, and most of all, thru the simple yet unnoticed acts that they do for each other. All of which accumulated into a story of two persons who’re alone but in love. All of which makes falling in love not just a simple case of “love at first sight” or “attraction of the personalities”, but more of a journey of discovering happiness which you yearn for.

If the writer was said to have produced a gem in Alone in Love, can we not NOT give a special mention the Director who had added so much finesse to the drama as a whole? I don’t know much about the director, and can’t seem to find any other works prevailing AIL or even that after 2006. But this drama ALONE gave me a reason to raise fiveeee thumbs up for his simple yet artistic portrayal of Eun Ho and Dong Jin’s relationship. I loved how every shot was presented to us slowly and quietly. I loved how the past and present of EH and HJ interjected in between each other seamlessly. So effective was the direction that even without music, the scenes still fell into place perfectly. So engaging was the direction, that no matter how slow it progressed, you could still feel that you’re going somewhere. And most of all, the utilization of repeated shots of certain scenes from different perspectives also gave the drama a different feel altogether, allowing viewers to explore the depth of each character from different perspectives, allowing us to understand why and how decisions are made by certain characters, and the consequences that come thereafter. Allowing us to just observe how normal couples, married, unmarried, divorced live. How they go thru life with and without each other.

So if the writer and the directors were the ones who’d touched up this beautiful gem, I would say that the actors were the ones who had owned the show for what it’s worth. Right down from the supporting cast up to the main cast, everyone gave a splendid performance. Gam Woo Sung, albeit not the most good looking or most handsome out there, gave his character Dong Jin a lot of heart. He may not be the perfect “husband”, he may have all those annoying traits that irritate you to no end, but he endeared and endeared, to no end that is. Jun Pyo and Ji Hoo, the oddest and quirkiest couple of the show and played out so amazingly by Gong Hyung Jin and Lee Ha Na respectively, added a touch of hilarity and amusement to the show, making it not just a show about the divorced couple, but also about the odds and whims of life. The rest of the supporting cast, Lee Jin Wook , Oh Yoon Ah, the wrestler Yoo Ri, the silent and mysterious owner of the restaurant DJ and EH always goes to, the professor, his wife, and down to the littlest played by Jin Ji Hee. All of them were wonderful~ Each had a story to tell, and each had their own shining moment.

BUT, the biggest honor and mention of the show HAS to go to its leading actress, Son Ye Jin. Hands down the stealer of the show. SYJ’s a popular name in the industry, I’m sure that’s a fact known to all. I first got to know her thru her movie Classic (co-starring Jo Seong Woo and Jo In Sung), and my initial impression of her was that she’s sweet, petite and demure. That’s all. Then came A Moment To Remember, a love story that touched hearts of many. Followed by the Art of Seduction, April Snow , Open City…etc. To count it all, I’ve only seen some of her movies, and never really got to finish any of her dramas! So my impression of her being an actress – pretty much good. Not excellent or mind-blowing, but enough to make me like her.

So what of Son Ye Jin in AIL? She was downright, utterly AMAZING in here. There were times when I was just so intrigued by her character Eun Ho, as well as SYJ’s portrayal of EH, that I just wanted to slap Dong Jin for not noticing how beautiful and precious his “ex-wife” was. How could he not have treasured such a wonderful wife? One who was loving, endearing and fun? =O Sometimes tears would just roll down my face, when watching the silent and quiet EH reminisce her life with and without DJ, with the voice-over of her monologues playing thru the scenes. And there were times when I would just laugh out loud at EH’s amusing antics, smile, giggle and laugh because she’s just so downright adorable. Everything about EH was truly precious.

The thing about SYJ’s acting is that she’s really really good when it comes to quieter and emotional scenes. She doesn’t need to tear up, and I know she’s aching inside. And when she smiles, I know it’s not without pain as well. Moreover, there’s this really elegant and calm grace about her that makes you really really want to root for her. All in all, it’s just acting so brilliantly delivered that I cannot describe correctly and accurately in any word forms It’s the type of acting that you need to sit down, watch and feel. And rest assured, you will be touched ~ immensely.

There are a lot more GOOD stuff on the drama worth mentioning, but I believe if I were to point em out one by one, I’d never ever finish writing this review. Given that this drama had actually aired back in 2006, I’m sure a lot of you would have either seen it, or would have come across it somewhere in Soompi. For those who haven’t seen it, or for those who, like me, got turned off by the 1st episode the first time, please please do continue watching it. For you will be lured into a silently moving journey that will warm and touch your heart for a very very long time.

Like a reviewer said of Alone In Love in an old review, you can miss all the popular dramas out there (eg. MNIKSS, Goong or even Dae Jang Geum), but you most definitely CANNOT MISS Alone In Love.

It’s one drama that everyone, old and young, single and married, guys and girls – should watch. Just to fall in love. And to find the happiness that you yearn for~~

http://ripgal.wordpress.com/2010/02/02/alone-in-love/

Thanks for posting

I also felt the same way when AIL came out. I found it boring and slow, not what you actually expecting from a k-drama. But somehow I managed it to watch again, (maybe also I have changed) and since then I love it. Now I'm watching it for the third time, laughing and crying with the Eun Ho, Dong Jin, Ji Ho, and Joon Pyo....

Btw, also a good review by devache1

Alone in Love Review

Guest chatteraddict

Guys, thanks for posting the reviews..its nice to see that even after 4 years of Alone in Love it still touches the heart of the people who have watched it...

Cris you have such a good eye, i didnt see flake's ziggy until you mentioned it! lol