Make-up Q & A Thread

Guest Nightsky1

Guest leelee.

I have a question about foundation and primers. Is it a bad idea to use a liquid foundation over a primer that's a loose powder? I have this 2-in-1 primer/setting powder that's used to mattify my skin (it's from Mattify! Cosmetics) and I was just wondering if it'll make my face look weird if I put this under my foundation. I use Revlon Colorstay for Oily/Combo skin by the way.

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Chuyin

I have a question, I'm a makeup noob >_< . So, I bought Revlon's PhotoReady liquid foundation and when I put it on, my skin looks really.. cakey? And Theres like flakes. But the problem is, I moisturize and exfoliate my skin and it's actually pretty oily. Not super Oily, but oily. O.o

Also, What type of brush is best for putting on liquid foundation? Thanks so much soompi !

Either your moisturizer isn't moisturizing enough for your skin or the foundation just isn't for you if other foundations you have tried do not do the same thing. Try it out using a different moisturizer before you put it on to see if you notice a difference.

I have a question about foundation and primers. Is it a bad idea to use a liquid foundation over a primer that's a loose powder? I have this 2-in-1 primer/setting powder that's used to mattify my skin (it's from Mattify! Cosmetics) and I was just wondering if it'll make my face look weird if I put this under my foundation. I use Revlon Colorstay for Oily/Combo skin by the way.

I don't suggest it. It'll end up looking pretty weird. Loose powder is always used to set liquid or cremes so putting powder under liquid kind of defeats the purpose. I think the 2-in-1 use will only work if you are using powder foundation.

Guest minjin

How do you define your brows with an eyeliner pencil without making them look too fake or bold?

I would suggest to use a lighter color but still the same color of your brows and define them wih the brush, dont use to much color though. And go bit by bit until you have the result you want.

Guest ChelC

i'm not sure if this is the right place to put it but i was wondering which eye primer is better: urban decay or bareminerals? ty!

Guest YukiPuu

sorry for the noob question ^^;

but i was wondering how do you tell what your skin undertone is?

i've been trying to figure it out but i still have no idea .__.

Look at your wrist or inner elbow. If your blood vessels appear green, you have a warm skin tone. If they appear blue, you are cool.

Guest CrissyFails

How do you define your brows with an eyeliner pencil without making them look too fake or bold?

Make sure your pencil is super sharp. The duller it is, the more wide/smudgy your strokes will be. The thinner your strokes are, the more they will resemble single hairs. Which brings me to my next point. Don't draw on or fill in your eyebrows in one fail swoop, like you're coloring with marker. Go stroke by stroke, in an "up and over" manner until you've got your desired shape and such. Also, don't get something too dark. If you have light hair or thin eyebrows, you may want to use a Taupe color. Even if your hair is black, never use a black eyebrow/eyeliner pencil. The darkest you should go is dark brown. Also, if you have a thin angle brush, you could find a way to transfer the eyebrow pencil onto the brush and stroke it on this way. I'm sure there are plenty of Youtube videos on this. I'd check it out if you need any extra help!

Guest yangri

Never knew there was a thread like this!

A few questions:

I have dry skin and I'm no expert on makeup, so what sort of product or foundation or BB cream do I have to use to hydrate my skin and achieve the 'dewy' look?

How do you reapply sun screen on your face when there is makeup on it? I own an Aveeno face SS and it's sort of a hard cream and I just never know how to reapply it without feeling like I just wiped away my foundation.

The skin texture on my nose and the rest of my face is a bit.. rougher? From those nose pore strips I used to use, so my makeup doesn't settle well on that part of the skin.. what can I do?

I've been looking for a good powder foundation that gives good SPF and isn't drying because my skin is dry enough. Something light enough for pale asian skin..

Also looking for a good dark circle / eye bag concealer that matches an NC15 but isn't from MAC because MAC isn't doing it for me.. =/

How eyelid glue users with hooded eyelids, HOW DO YOU DO IT? lol

Guest cutieheartzbadboy

Never knew there was a thread like this!

A few questions:

I have dry skin and I'm no expert on makeup, so what sort of product or foundation or BB cream do I have to use to hydrate my skin and achieve the 'dewy' look?

How do you reapply sun screen on your face when there is makeup on it? I own an Aveeno face SS and it's sort of a hard cream and I just never know how to reapply it without feeling like I just wiped away my foundation.

The skin texture on my nose and the rest of my face is a bit.. rougher? From those nose pore strips I used to use, so my makeup doesn't settle well on that part of the skin.. what can I do?

I've been looking for a good powder foundation that gives good SPF and isn't drying because my skin is dry enough. Something light enough for pale asian skin..

Also looking for a good dark circle / eye bag concealer that matches an NC15 but isn't from MAC because MAC isn't doing it for me.. =/

How eyelid glue users with hooded eyelids, HOW DO YOU DO IT? lol

For the foundation or BB cream, check out the foundations that are actually geared towards ageing skin because mostly these are for dryer skin, you dont have to be old to use it. Check Maybelline's Age Rewind (I cant remember the name.... lol.. but im not sure if it gives the dewy look you want but this is an excellent foundation.)

For BB Cream, the only thing I have used (because I have dry and sensitive skin) and I swear by BRTC. You should try their BRTC Glossy BB :). I'm not sure if the hot pink label from skin79 would suit dry skin, but it gives a decent dewy-ness.

About the sunscreen, your right about that. The only thing you can reapply your sunscreen is remove your makeup then put it on then put your makeup back so it doesn't look so messy on the face. The sunscreen will actually clutter your makup and will cake on especially if you have set your makeup with a powder. You know what you should do, buy a foundation that has got spf in it (whether liquid, or powder if you've topped your makeup with a setting translucent powder. There are so many out there.

For the asian skin-fit foundations with spf, BB creams are your best bet. Yea so try BRTC. :P, but it is on the expensive side, or laneige!!!! laneige makes great foundations for dry skin, but its super duper light, like a tinted moisturizer.

For the eyebag thingy, try using laneige's one (check their store), or etude house's eye brightener, or lioele's eye brightener also (not sure of the exact name)

For the eyelid glue problem, check out this youtube user :frmheadtotoe, she'll explain everything to you. And she's Korean. hahaha

Guest cutieheartzbadboy

people with hooded eyelids: how do you apply eyeliner so it doesn't transfer onto the crease?

check this youtuve user: frmheadtotoe because she uses eyelid tapes, and glues and all those stuff. She has a tutorial all the time with an eyelid tape on.

Guest x SaRaNg HaE x

people with hooded eyelids: how do you apply eyeliner so it doesn't transfer onto the crease?

I use Mac's Fluidline gel eyeliner over Urban Decay's Primer Potion on my top lid. After it dries, I set it with a same-colored eyeshadow, which prevents the transfer.

Guest iPhets

how do you all keep your eyelashes curled after curling it?

mine would just un-curl itself after about 1 hr..:(

is it my mascaras problem?

By the way your describing it, it could be that your mascara is quite a heavy formula and is weighing your lashes down.

You might be better off trying another mascara ^^ oh or you could try a lash primer ?

Hope i helped ^_^

Guest NYCballad

Wear primer for your eyelids and then use liquid eyeliner. I find that pencil and gel/cream eyeliners transfer to the crease more.

Sounds like it could be your mascara. Try not using mascara and brushing your eyelids with liquid eyeliner as a substitute and see if they still uncurl.

Guest lychee_poo

^haha ok i might, do you have any recommendations?

Try waterproof mascaras, or curling ones, it depends on what you're looking for, for length a would recommend Maybelline Lash Stiletto Waterproof, although the curl and length are great the brush might give your lashes uneven coverage. For volume I like Maybelline Colossal Waterproof, nice traditional brush.

Guest pikasaki

^ It could be your eyelash curler too. I noticed a difference. I used Revlon's eyelash curler which curled them but it would uncurl after an hour too. I tried out Shiseido's eyelash curler and the curl stayed all day.

Guest iPhets

^^ok thanks a lot!! i'll look into those options ><"" and check them out tomorrow :)

^oh im using the shu uemura curler.. people told me it was good so i just bought it ^^;

Guest lychee_poo

^^ok thanks a lot!! i'll look into those options ><"" and check them out tomorrow :)

^oh im using the shu uemura curler.. people told me it was good so i just bought it ^^;

I use the Shu Uemura one too, are you curling your lashes right? I usually hold it down for about 8 seconds before letting go.

Archived