cool places in Oahu, Hawaii? ^^

Guest maurreal

Guest maurreal

im going to oahu, hawaii on july 14-28 and i haven't been there for a long time, so do any of you who live there know any cool places to go? ohhhhhhh or any cool korean stores where i can get se7en stuff??!!? :lol: haha.. ok... weird question.. hahaha but yeah, any place you recomend?

Guest Jeffversion2

- Polynesian Cultural Center (sort of a like heritage place...idk I forgot since I went there when I was like 10 and my memory relapses every three years)

- Sea Life Park (Dolphins...sort of like a rip off aquarium. I didn't like it there but idk depends on the person I guess)

- Ala Moana (THE mall of Hawaii. Well there's a pretty big mall on Maui but Ala Moana is probably world-renown)

- Waikiki Beach (You can swim with the sewage!)

- Iolani Palace, Judicial Courthouse, Missionary Houses (Sort of taking a step back in history...Iolani Palace bore witness to the overthrow of the Hawaiian monarchy and the Judicial Building is awesome. There's missionary houses across the street about 100 feet or so from Iolani Palace)

- Pali Highway (Take pork when your driving on it. You won't regret it ; )

- Morgan's Corner (Ooo baby the most infamous corner in Hawaii. Park your car under the tree and like just sit there. It's like living in The Grudge!!)

Probably people ACTUALLY from Oahu would know more...

Guest Hyunjin808

Uh.. I'm not sure if they sell alot of Korean artist stuffs.. (Especially Se7en..) But.. You can try the Korean stores.. Like.. Palama market. And.. Possibly.. Daiei has some Korean stuff. (I think they have some stuff in the Korean stuff..) And.. I know for sure that 99 Ranch Market has some picture mugs of Korean celebrities (I'm not so sure if they have Se7en things..) and I once saw a BoA single there.

Oh. You should go to the.. KBFD place. (I've never been there before, though. :X) Since KBFD is like. Our Korean-channel broadcaster... Surely, they have Korean artist stuffs.

Guest tranced_azn

- Polynesian Cultural Center (sort of a like heritage place...idk I forgot since I went there when I was like 10 and my memory relapses every three years)

- Sea Life Park (Dolphins...sort of like a rip off aquarium. I didn't like it there but idk depends on the person I guess)

- Ala Moana (THE mall of Hawaii. Well there's a pretty big mall on Maui but Ala Moana is probably world-renown)

- Waikiki Beach (You can swim with the sewage!)

- Iolani Palace, Judicial Courthouse, Missionary Houses (Sort of taking a step back in history...Iolani Palace bore witness to the overthrow of the Hawaiian monarchy and the Judicial Building is awesome. There's missionary houses across the street about 100 feet or so from Iolani Palace)

- Pali Highway (Take pork when your driving on it. You won't regret it ; )

- Morgan's Corner (Ooo baby the most infamous corner in Hawaii. Park your car under the tree and like just sit there. It's like living in The Grudge!!)

Probably people ACTUALLY from Oahu would know more...

HAHAHA!! that's soo mean, the pork thing. a caution of advice, don't bring meat if you happen to drive on the pali, unless you dont believe in superstitions and stuff then be my guess =D. hmmmm, im pretty sure morning glory and daiei are bound to have se7en stuff. and if you're a korean drama fan also, those two places will cater to your need cause they have soo many merchandise like cups and clocks and keychains and also cute stationary. waikiki beach is sort of clean, but im very consicious so i didnt yet, but if you do, you should rent out one of these boat things that you can ride and pedel. they look like oversized bikes, lol.i think hanauma bay would be a good place to swim, and there's another beach...but i forgot it, hehe *looks it up*. and if you're a big shopping person, ala moana and waikiki will cater to your needs. waikiki has a lot of cute japanese owned places that sell clothes. a couple of places that i think are nice are: 88tees, pineapple county, and mocchin. for sightseeing, driving around the island is a pretty fun thing. get shrimp at the shrimp shack or giovanni's, really good. and there's also steps to heaven (i think it's located in kaneohe, not sure) and tantalus at night. you can see the WHOLE city and i think it looks really nice. it's also known as a make out place btw, ehehehe. since its summer, go eat shave ice at matsumoto or at waiola. i go to waiola primarily because it's WAY closer to my house, hehe. idk what you like, but i like getting a rainbow with ice cream and condensed milk, MMMM~ there's a lot (and i should be doing more of these things since i do live here, haha) and the person that i quoted also has some good places to go also. wow...i just realized i typed quite a lot, lol. have fun and enjoy~ any questions, just post (or just google =D)

Yes, I must agree, I haven't seen ANY stores that sell much Korean artist merchandise. Your best bet is one of the Morning Glory stores or Palama Market. Quite possibly those Sanrio stores that are hidden away in Daiei (or should I say Don Quijote) may have something as well.

Interesting places? *thinks hard*

... Ala Moana is pretty much the only place I really like. Well, that and Lanikai Beach, but good luck finding that place. It's the most gorgeous beach on the island, and heck if I'm giving directions. :P

Guest akira53

you're crazy :mellow::crazy:

Ala moana and waikiki are good shopping places. Come visit me @ work (Royal Hawaiian Hotel, shop 1A lol)...just walking around Waikiki you'll find something interesting eventually.

beach is also popular...maybe not Waikiki (although I was just there last week ><) because of the sewage spill a couple of months ago...but I'm still alive :mellow:...try sandy beach...north shore is always good.

Uh.. I'm not sure if they sell alot of Korean artist stuffs.. (Especially Se7en..) But.. You can try the Korean stores.. Like.. Palama market. And.. Possibly.. Daiei has some Korean stuff. (I think they have some stuff in the Korean stuff..) And.. I know for sure that 99 Ranch Market has some picture mugs of Korean celebrities (I'm not so sure if they have Se7en things..) and I once saw a BoA single there.

Oh. You should go to the.. KBFD place. (I've never been there before, though. :X) Since KBFD is like. Our Korean-channel broadcaster... Surely, they have Korean artist stuffs.

Yes.. DAIEI has korean stuff. Definitely. I know because.. my mother has been working at Daiei for 16 years (my whole life) lol. Near the Bank (omg i forgot the name suddenly) part inside Daiei, and that store where they sell Korean stuff in Daiei is there.. was it called "Precious Moments".. I think. I go there so much I forgot the name of the place. o_O.. Ah.. I'll go there tomorrow.. and get the name for you so it's easier.. I usually go there every weekend. They sell korean dramas dvds, korean movies dvds, korean cds, basically korean merchandise. =] I saw all of SE7EN korean cds over there last time, so you're in luck! ^^ Unless of course someone else already bought them before you. I believe the cds price at $15 (just about), korean dramas are about $80-something.. I forgot what Korean movies cost.. but I seriously love their wallets and stuffed animals they sell.. oh and they sell korean magazines too.

Definitely go to Daiei! Unless you know a better place, lol.

Btw, Daiei is changing their name to "Don Quijote". A new owner from Japan (with the same name, Don Quijote) bought Daiei and is taking over. There will be renovations this month or next month to completely transfer everything, which is why there are now pictures of a blue penquin (the new logo for the store) all over the place. LOL. I got all this news from my mom.

Well.. as for places to go.. Ala Moana is pretty popular.. probably the most popular out there. I go there every weekend with my friends. LOL. So if you go there, I might see ya there. lol But Ala Moana is a pretty good place to go.

Guest Hyunjin808

Yes.. DAIEI has korean stuff. Definitely. I know because.. my mother has been working at Daiei for 16 years (my whole life) lol. Near the Bank (omg i forgot the name suddenly) part inside Daiei, and that store where they sell Korean stuff in Daiei is there.. was it called "Precious Moments".. I think. I go there so much I forgot the name of the place. o_O.. Ah.. I'll go there tomorrow.. and get the name for you so it's easier.. I usually go there every weekend. They sell korean dramas dvds, korean movies dvds, korean cds, basically korean merchandise. =] I saw all of SE7EN korean cds over there last time, so you're in luck! ^^ Unless of course someone else already bought them before you. I believe the cds price at $15 (just about), korean dramas are about $80-something.. I forgot what Korean movies cost.. but I seriously love their wallets and stuffed animals they sell.. oh and they sell korean magazines too.

Definitely go to Daiei! Unless you know a better place, lol.

Btw, Daiei is changing their name to "Don Quijote". A new owner from Japan (with the same name, Don Quijote) bought Daiei and is taking over. There will be renovations this month or next month to completely transfer everything, which is why there are now pictures of a blue penquin (the new logo for the store) all over the place. LOL. I got all this news from my mom.

Well.. as for places to go.. Ala Moana is pretty popular.. probably the most popular out there. I go there every weekend with my friends. LOL. So if you go there, I might see ya there. lol But Ala Moana is a pretty good place to go.

WAH TA FAH. Don Quijote..!? That's such a ridiculous name. *Sigh* Thanks for the info.

Guest SmiLeeGirl

What are your interests? Other then Korean stuff <-- there aren't too many places that actually sells STUFF

Since people suggested touristy stuff I'll just add on. If you were a friend visiting from out of town this is where I would take you.

Clubs -- the locals like Oceans, lots of tourist do Zanzabar - since it is in Waikiki. The whole afterhours thing at places like Indigo, The W have been happening.

Music and Drinks - Mai Tai Bar (Friday night) @ the top of Ala Moana Shopping Center.

It's summer so maybe stuff like ...

Sunset on the Beach - free movie projected on a large screen - located right across from the zoo.

They used to have some well known Hawaiian Bands play at the Zoo during week days too.

Shave Ice - A Summer in Hawaii Thing

Waiola - Near Waikiki

Matsumoto's - Near the North Shore

Eating - Ryans at Ward Center is probally where most locals 20-30 somethings go to have drinks and appetizers maybe $20 for dinner.

Hawaiian Food = Helena's in Kalihi

Tea Time - if you like that kind of thing - try the Moana Surfrider at Waikiki - it is a historic hotel near the end of the very short Waikiki Strip. Tea is held on the veranda shaded by this HUGE banyan tree. It cost about $25 for sandwiches, dessert and specialty tea. My friends and I can sit for HOURS and it is nice and relaxing.

Shopping -- Most things that are at Ala Moana you could find on the US mainland. If you shop on a weeknight in the evening it is a lot less crowded. For cheap "Hawaii" touristy things - try the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet (Wed, Sat and Sunday). Outdoors, LOTS and LOTS of vendors with all kind of stuff. Aloha Shirts, TShirts, Snacks Jewelry ... Wear Sun Screen. Don't buy touristy stuff in Waikiki. Try the swap meet or believe it or not Walmart. If you want to buy a NICE Hawaiian Shirt think Reyn Spooner or Tori Richards or something from Macy's. More expensive Mamo, Manuheali'i or SigZane

Avoid driving on the freeway during rush hour -- traffic it terrible.

If you are driving around the island (that only takes like 3 hours top). In Hau'ula -- there is a Kim Taylor Reese Gallery -- I hope it is still there. He is a local photographer who is known for sepia colored pictures featuring Ancient Hawaiian Dancers.

If I remember anything else I will edit. Or if you want specific info based on your interests PM me.

Smi

Guest yujah52

Go to Chai's Island Bistro on Sat. nights for 21 & over - one of the best "clubs" on the island.

Fashion 45 @ Waikiki Trade Center - cover is $15

Don't forget to go to Giovanni's Shrimp Truck between Kahuku and North Shore area. The best garlic shrimp. There's also Matsumoto's Shave Ice in Haleiwa.

There's also Waiola Shave ice store on Kapahulu Ave and one in McCully area.

Guest Jeffversion2

Yes, I must agree, I haven't seen ANY stores that sell much Korean artist merchandise. Your best bet is one of the Morning Glory stores or Palama Market. Quite possibly those Sanrio stores that are hidden away in Daiei (or should I say Don Quijote) may have something as well.

Palama Market has this little rack of new albums (last year Christmas I recall they had G.O.D., MC Mong, 1tym among others. Not really mechandise though.

Yeah Daiei has this store but the prices are sort of :crazy: I bought some Kim Hee Seon stuff from there along with that piggie from Sam Soon that this Korean-run girly shop in Hilo sells for like 5 dollars cheaper.

Korean shops rule. I love the panda stuffed animals.

I also see that NOT ONE OAHUIAN has put Hawaii Waters Adventure Park

Guest akira53

I also see that NOT ONE OAHUIAN has put Hawaii Waters Adventure Park

Don't forget to go to Giovanni's Shrimp Truck between Kahuku and North Shore area. The best garlic shrimp. There's also Matsumoto's Shave Ice in Haleiwa.

There's also Waiola Shave ice store on Kapahulu Ave and one in McCully area.

I totally agree with Waiola/Matsumoto/Giovanni...best shrimp/shave ice! The Shrimp Shack is also pretty good.

I haven't been to Hawaiian Waters in ages :o ...it's overpriced IMO but fun XD

Guest Jeffversion2

Where's that shave ice place in the middle of nowhere that sells those REALLY REALLY SMOOTH shave ice?

^Are you referring to Matsumoto Shave Ice? That's up in North Shore. Personally, when I want to eat shave ice, I like going to Ice Garden, which is located right below Aiea Bowl.

Guest Simply_Unique

Alamoana-huge shopping mall but full of japanese tourists

Pearl Ridge shopping center-more for the locals and smaller then alamoana but its still pretty okay

Hanauma bay- BEAUTIFUL and has fish great for snorkeling

Tantalus (sp?)-if you get to certain spots it has a wonderful view of the island. also it has a small sandwich shop and art museum nearby if you get hungry or bored

North Shore- if you're a surfer they have huge waves there

Guest Jeffversion2

^Are you referring to Matsumoto Shave Ice? That's up in North Shore. Personally, when I want to eat shave ice, I like going to Ice Garden, which is located right below Aiea Bowl.

Uhh maybe...hmm. I don't think it's that North more like Southwest. It's at this corner in this residental area in this little shack thing.

I think more Honolulu side

Guest SmiLeeGirl

Uhh maybe...hmm. I don't think it's that North more like Southwest. It's at this corner in this residental area in this little shack thing.

I think more Honolulu side

Thats Waiola's -- There are two places the one in the resedential area is hard to find. Go to the 2nd location on Kapahulu (the main road that goes past the zoo). Here check this link:

http://onokinegrindz.typepad.com/ono_kine_...iola_store.html

I think HW would be disappointing to people used to larger water parks like wet and wild or Blizzard Beach.

BTW - Just to let you know between Haleiwa and Kahuku there are like 6 or 7 white shrimp trucks that all look and sound the same.

Have FUN!!!

Smi

Guest Jeffversion2

akira53 and me were talking about what was missed on this thread last night and I came up with a few more:

Pali Lookout - Really cool I guess...idk I went there when I was really little and it was pretty cool from what I can gather.

Diamond Head lookout - Gotta hike up yourself but its not that hard if I could make it when I was 7. The stairs are dangerous so bring a flashlight...and there's this open flight of stairs really really steep.

The blowhole thingy - It's on the way to Sea Life Park and it's like this hole that water shoots from like a whale's blowhole. I had video of it someplace. Don't go to Sea Life Park though, it's boring for people over 9 and you only get a sunburn.

Japanese Cultural Park - It's like this really cool place to learn about the japanese immigrants and the places they lived in, the games they played, etc.

USS Arizona Memorial/Pearl Harbor - Probably the largest Naval Disaster in our countries history, and may as well go now before the ships completely corrode. The USS Arizona Memorial is probably one of the most famous war memorials in the country, and Pearl Harbor has turned into a museum that is currently sinking in the ground (lmao)

USS Missouri - The only place to see the Mighty Mo is in Pearl Harbor. It is where WWII officially ended. I got to stay in the Mighty Mo one night and it was awesome because we got Dogtags for going and everything. YOU MUST GO TO THE MISSOURI. Just stepping on the battleship is a awesome experience.

Archived