Park Yoo Chun 박유천

Guest sunshine4ever

Guest irene2

class="article-title idol-jyj" style="display:inline"JYJ heads to Beijing to continue their 2014 “The Return of the King” Asia Tour

22 Aug 2014

JYJ’s members were all spotted at the Gimpo International Airport this morning as they were scheduled to leave for Beijing. They are going to hold their second leg of concert at the Capital Indoor Stadium in Beijing tomorrow.

Fans swarmed the three of them as they arrived at the airport to get a glimpse of their favorite stars. With distinctive casual get ups, each member made the airport look like a fashion runaway. Jaejoong took a stripped black jean with a black and white printed T-shirt under his black jacket, accentuated with a scarf. Yoochun took a more colorful print with his pullover and a pair of long black jean. On the other hand, Junsu took all the attention with his neon red hair and his casual look in shorts.

JYJ will be performing in Beijing to promote their second album, “Just Us”, which was released last July. After Beijing, JYJ will continue their Asia Tour to Vietnam, Chengdu, Taiwan, Shanghai and Thailand.

JYJ recently kicked off their 2014 Asia Tour with a concert in Seoul with around 30,000 fans in attendance. JYJ also completed their first fan signing event after three years two days after the concert. Their title song “Back Seat” has also reached 6 million views on YouTube.

source:ttwigo.

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest irene2

[HanCinema's Idol Actors] Park Yoo-chun and Seo In-guk

2014/08/23

photo477433.jpg

Park Yoo-chun

Famous idols who go into acting often share a very similar issue. The position of the roles they get is very central compared to what their skills at the time can actually handle. Park Yoo-chun showed promise straight away, by managing to carry the role of a lead in his very first work a lot better than what a lot of idols or other rookies manage.

Park's career in the Korean drama scene started with 'Sungkyunkwan Scandal' in 2010. Since then, he has been having a very steady career in this industry and has also made his entrance into movies with 2014 film 'Sea Fog'. Park's strength in terms of choices comes from the fact that he does not go for romance alone, neither do his efforts only go as far as will be beneficial to his career as a musician.

Lee Seon-joonDong-sik

He has done melodrama and he has done suspense, always going for darker works where he can explore characters and evolve his acting, making it clear that he takes his job as an actor as a second career, not just something done on the side. This shows in his acting as well.

As most actors, Park is not without flaws and his performances can sometimes feel a bit too safe and anemic, but fully embodying a character is something which takes experience and work. His basics are good and he engages viewers, which is a great starting point for any performer and something he can really evolve through in the future.

Park Yoo-chun is one of the most promising actors to come from the music scene in recent years. He has shown good sense, the devotion to work hard for this job and promise in his acting. The future will hopefully hold great things for him and for viewers.

[unrelated parts omitted]

Park Yoo-chun segment written by: Orion from 'Orion's Ramblings'

source:  hancinema

[TRANS] 140817 Hayato-san Blog Update: The Prescription_Episode

August 18, 2014 · Jen_BabyLove

(T/N: in previous update, Hayato-san wrote is there a cure? and Yes! So here is the “cure”)

This prescription is rather light so how is the effect?
If it doesn’t work/cure, I will prescribe something else in episode 2.

Well, please be mindful of over-dosing :)

Frankly, I thought 3V3 will be out sooner.
So I was doing pre-official release notification  (⌒∇⌒)

Do you remember this?
That was my new year card last year.

The picture used was this one.
The guys drove these cars themselves everyday to the studio.

6_zps9ea4b712.jpg

The base which they used as home at that time was located in upscale residential area
Probably some famous stars stayed near to them

The guys were very curious  laugh

And this one was the new year card for this year.

7_zps8461505c.jpg

Source: Hayato-san Blog
Translated by: @Jen_BabyLove
Shared by: JYJ3

[PICS] JYJ stayed here while recording for 3hree Voices III in Los Angeles

1_zps9ec9be33.jpg

2_zps214c0607.jpg

3_zpsd7b4f3d2.jpg

4_zps35d16f7d.jpg

5_zps3a416c6a.jpg

http://blog.livedoor.jp/asian9437/archives/51871439.html

Credit: Vichellelicious

and here

screen caps of Yoochun in 3 voices III 

Bv0H6PVCYAAjf1djpglarge_zps21b996d9.jpg

Bv0AHIgCEAAJ9xCjpglarge_zpsac647017.jpg

Bv0H924CEAAtWRJjpglarge_zpsead35f51.jpg

Bv0JwD8CIAAQ3CBjpglarge_zps7aa584e8.jpg

Bv0P-ZaCQAEmkEIjpglarge_zps03dc9288.jpg

Bv0P-byCMAEcVqsjpglarge_zps3f7f7e86.jpg

Bv0P-c2CMAAIv3Mjpglarge_zpsac8faea4.jpg

Bv0DDDsCYAAm6J6jpglarge_zps0a635ea8.jpg

Bv0Jv0CCIAAOYjGjpglarge_zps8038adea.jpg

Bv0Jv17CAAAOrFTjpglarge_zps83e0b2ae.jpg

cr : twitter

Guest irene2

JYJ successfully finish their solo concert in Beijing

2014-08-25

JYJ successfully finished their solo concert in Beijing.

On August 24th0242694950BFFD3E29F7B4 a representative of C-JeS Entertainment said, "On August 23rd0242694950BFFD3E29F7B4 JYJ's Asia tour concert was held at Shoudu Gymnasium in Beijing, and JYJ met up with approximately 8 thousand fans156AE14D50BFFBCC1E4598 It was JYJ's first visit to Beijing in three years, and they spent an unforgettable time with their fans156AE14D50BFFBCC1E4598

JYJ performed 24 songs in total, including their representative hit numbers0242694950BFFD3E29F7B4 special dance numbers, and solo numbers that they specially prepared for their tour156AE14D50BFFBCC1E4598 They opened the stage with dance numbers called 'Creation,' and 'BaBoBo0242694950BFFD3E29F7B4' and melted fans' hearts with ballad numbers like 'DAD YOU THERE,' and 'LET ME SEE156AE14D50BFFBCC1E4598'

JYJ also surprised the audiences by singing a special Chinese song called '10 Years.' JYJ said0242694950BFFD3E29F7B4 "We decided to prepare this song as a special treat for our Chinese fans. This song is very meaningful for us0242694950BFFD3E29F7B4 because we are celebrating our 10th debut anniversary this year, and we hope that we will be able to meet up much more often156AE14D50BFFBCC1E4598"

The audiences showed the hottest reactions for a song called 'Back Seat,' which is the title track of JYJ's 2nd regular album156AE14D50BFFBCC1E4598 The fans showed explosive reactions for JYJ's performance, and roared explosive cheers out156AE14D50BFFBCC1E4598 Afterwards, JYJ wrapped up the concert with 'Get Out' and 'Autumn Leaves156AE14D50BFFBCC1E4598'

Approximately 8 thousand fans attended the concert, and they surprised JYJ members by singing all of the songs in Korean156AE14D50BFFBCC1E4598

JYJ said, "We would like to express sincere thanks to many Chinese fans for showing such huge reaction for us156AE14D50BFFBCC1E4598 It has been 10 years, and our fans are still hot156AE14D50BFFBCC1E4598 Thank you for unchanging supports, and we promise to keep doing our best156AE14D50BFFBCC1E4598"

Meanwhile, JYJ held a press conference prior to their concert0242694950BFFD3E29F7B4 and showed their huge power and influence.

JYJ's next tour concert will be held at QuanKhu7 Stadium0242694950BFFD3E29F7B4 which is located in Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam0242694950BFFD3E29F7B4 on August 30th.

source: hikpop

Guest irene2

itemprop="name"9 Male idols who conquered K-dramas

by Taleena Sinclair on Wed, Aug 20, 2014

1. Park Yoo Chun of JYJ in Rooftop Prince.

Park_Yoo_Chun.png

It’s no secret that we love Yoo Chun. He brings the feels, is one of K-drama’s most convincing criers, and has boatloads, yacht loads, nay, Super Tanker loads of charisma. While some K-drama buddies lobby hard for Sungkyunkwan Scandal, and I Miss You is good every time you need a good cathartic cry, Rooftop Prince is still the best Yoo Chun role to date. From affronted pride of a Joseon King confronted with a crane machine, to heartbroken husband, to tender lover, and every shade in between, Yoo Chun made the role come alive and swore us off persimmons forever.

[Parts unrelated to Yoochun omitted]

source: dramafever

Guest irene2

[Kpop news] Interview with Yoochun (JYJ), “Haemoo ( Sea Fog)”

259876_13377_1354.jpg

[sSTV l Katie]  Debuted as idol group TVXQ ( 동방신기, 東方神起), Yoochun (JYJ) has now made his name an actor through dramas; ‘성균관 스캔들’ ‘ 옥탑방 왕세자’ ‘쓰리데이즈’. Now he is back with his 1st movie - “해무 (Haemoo, trans. Sea Fog)”.

Based on an successful original play, Director Sim Seong-bo well illustrates aggravating tension among people out in the heavily fogged sea as their plan goes wrong due to tragic accident. Screenplay is by Bong Joon-ho and Sim Seong-bo. Director Bong Joon-ho participated in making of ‘살인의 추억(Memories of Murder)’, ‘괴물(The Host)’, ‘설국열차(Snowpiercer)’ and Director Sim Seong-bo wrote scenario for ‘살인의 추억(Memories of Murder)’. Also, senior actor Kim Youn-seok is starred.

“I get nervous every time I do an art piece. I was even more nervous because people kept reminding me ‘this is the 1st movie’. (grinned). And when making a movie, they take only one to two scenes only in a day. Instead they take one scene in many times in various angles. At first I could get along with the pace. Then later I got used to it, and was able to focus on the character. I usually put character aside easily, but I think 동식(Dong-sik, character name) will last long”.

259876_13378_1354.jpg

The First Reading.

Yoochun not only worked with experienced actors as Kim Yoon-seok, Lee Hee-joon, Moon Seong-geun, Kim Sang-ho and Yoo Seung-mok; But also had to show sharp confliction with these actors in the later part of movie.

“Until I met them, I was extremely nervous. At the first reading, I was afraid that they might point out my awkward Yeosu dialect. But as we acted together, such nervousness and pressures greatly lessened. I got many helps from the senior actors. I was able to get closer especially through casual drinking gatherings, where we talked about movie and ordinary things. Secluded film setting also had positive effects. I think that’s why I was able to focus on acting, forgetting about pressures I had at first”.

Yoochun continued by explaining why he took the Dong-sik role, and at the same time thanked senior actors.

“First and the most, I was drawn to the character. I liked his simplicity and how he acted upon his thoughts without delay. Either right or wrong, it felt fresh and envious. And of course, I was expecting on working with many senior actors. I always wanted to work with senior actors. I WANTED to act with total immersion”.

259876_13379_1355.jpg

Love : will I be able to have such love?

Among many reasons why Yoochun chose Dong-sik, a significant reason was because Dong-sik was a character who expressed what he thought and felt. Perhaps, it was an irresistible charm to someone who always had to look out due to heavy attention caused from early and big popularity.

“Yes, it must have influence from my career. But being able to directly pursue when one thinks and feels (instead of backhanding) is what I have always admired. I express it out through acting sometimes, and its like … vicarious satisfaction? (laughed). Yes, it definitely consolidated me this time. Especially the part falling in love with Hong-mae (played by Han Ye-ri). I wonder if I would ever be able to have such love in my life”.

At the end of the interview, Yoochun added “I hope I am invisible in “Haemoo” and “When time passes, I want to hear ‘was Yoochun in that movie?’”.

source: ahatv.co.kr/news

Guest irene2

class="article-title idol-jyj" style="display:inline"“Sea Fog” to be shown at the 2014 Toronto International Film Festival

dini | 26 Aug 2014

JYJ’s Yoochun’s movie debut “Sea Fog” is invited to premiere at the 2014 Toronto International Film Festival. Considering the fact that it is one of the four biggest film festivals, others are Berlin, Venice and Cannes; the movie will be getting more exposure overseas.

The movie will be the only Korean movie to be shown in the Gala Presentation section, which also showed previous Korean films, such as “The Good, The Bad, The Weird,” “The Housemaid,” and “Cold Eyes”. Since the movie has also debuted at Cannes and received quite a lot of interests, it is also expected to gain the same experience in the upcoming festival.

“Sea Fog” has already gained a lot of interests from the foreign market as it has sold distribution rights to Japan, France, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Singapore even before it was released in Korea. After the official release in its home country, the movie has surpassed one million viewers in six days.

It is based on a 2007 stage play “Hae Moo”, which tells a story about a true story of the Korean fishing vessel “Taechangho” incident in 2001 in Yeosu. JYJ’s Yoochun will act alongside Kim Yun-Seouk, Han Ye-Ri, and Lee Hee-Joon. The movie is a joint production between director Sim Sung-Bo and producer Bong Joon-Ho (Snowpiercer).

Toronto International Film Festival will run from September 4 to 14.

source: ttwigo

140816 Next Entertainment World: JYJ & Park Yoochun’s Super Support Message for ‘Sea Fog’ release on its 4th day!

August 16, 2014 · rilanna

JYJ’s

Maknae Dong Shik, Park Yoochun’s

Credit: ItsNEWKorea

class="entry-title"[ENG SUB] 140816 JYJ’s Support Message to ‘Sea Fog’ August 18, 2014 · rilanna

Note: Turn on captions(CC) to see the subtitles

Credit: JYJ Eng Sub Channel

140827 JYJ Exclusive Interview with King榜 for JYJ Concert in Beijing (10 min)

August 30, 2014 by kisschunnie

12_zpsc389b429.jpg

Credit:  King榜 + Uploader

Shared by: 6002Sky

class="entry-title"[OTHER WEIBO/PICS] 140822 360kan shares photos of JYJ’s Interview after Press Conference for 2014 JYJ Concert in Beijing ‘RETURN OF THE KING’ August 22, 2014 · rilanna
14_zps32c17207.jpg

15_zps3bff3952.jpg

16_zps21140a91.jpg

17_zps2764514b.jpg

19_zpsc4a34b9c.jpg

Source: 360影视

class="entry-title" 140822 YinYueTai: JYJ’s Press Conference for 2014 JYJ Concert in Beijing ‘RETURN OF THE KING’ August 22, 2014 · rilanna

Credit: puzusmile

[iNTERVIEW] 140817 Park Yoochun, the gap between an adult and a child

August 17, 2014 · rilanna

20141290140819446100_zpsd73c44b7.jpg

Park Yoochun was told of his uncanny boundary between an adult and a child  at our first meeting.

Singer-cum-actor Park Yoochun (29) has a strong boyish image. He is the image of a mischievous boy up to a mild image with a round face shape. He probably will further live the life of an idol ever since his teenager years. Meeting to begin his interview for film ‘Sea Fog’, Park Yoochun is a young man and a boy, located at the uncanny boundary between an adult and a child.

Showing a good-natured smile and continuing to speak cleverly nonstop, he exhibits the image of a boy. Interviewed by the media over 60 times, Park Yoochun was a little bit tired from meeting reporters. “What’s the fresh questions” at too many similar answers to surely similar questions, or he replied that he wants interesting answers for him to laugh. <The Fact>’s coverage is more than curious about coverage on stars’ passions in particular. Park Yoochun is always going on about facts when showing a mischievous smile.

We had questions pertaining to the movie for Park Yoochun who showed a boyish smile. Park Yoochun confessed to the time he lived as Dong-shik to break out with a smile then. We asked about the fact that he was clumsy at the first press preview, the fact that he got seasick and it wasn’t easy to film on the ship, and even the love story between Hong-mae (Han Ye-ri) and him. We felt an earnest atmosphere than ever from Park Yoochun’s way of speaking.

Wrapping up with an open ending, we asked for the leading actor’s opinion about his film ‘Sea Fog’. Park Yoochun said, “I think it was hard to have to face the sea that I didn’t want to remember when I had to leave Hong-mae. It became futile to live for the sea. I didn’t want to forget those times?”, providing his answer to seem like he didn’t know yet did know.

Although it was a short interview a little more than an hour long, he quietly bore the image of Park Yoochun becoming a full-fledged actor. We are wondering about his next work that he seems to take awhile to choose the next project with JYJ concerts.

Source: The Fact
Translated by: rilanna of JYJ3

class="entry-title"[iNTERVIEW] 140812 Park Yuchun “I smell like an actor is the best compliment to me” August 18, 2014 · rilanna

Final Part

4_zps04a59ae8.jpg

Q: If so, for a person who does not like the limelight, the process of becoming a singer and actor can be dramatic.

A: Erm…It’s not so much about lacking passion but just a difference in personality. Since childhood, I’ve liked music and composition so I had a dream of becoming either a songwriter or novelist. Even when attending school, I asked myself, “Why are you attending school?” So I skipped school and went to the park to do writing. Though I like music and I became a singer, when I am a singer I wanted to be quiet. But a singer’s job is one which constantly requires me to be in the limelight and show myself so, in that sense I don’t quite like it.

Q: You received different evaluations while you were acting, didn’t you? There were favorable comments as well as criticisms. For Haemoo in particular, from the beginning you received many praises but what type of comment are you most pleased with?

A: Comments like “Park Yuchun, you can continue acting in movies in the future,” “There’s a scent of an actor.” Until now, I am still shy in calling myself an actor but to hear those kind of comments, it makes me feel good. Fortunately, there are good comments for my first movie. It’s a happy thing, right? A good movie can be of box office value but at the same time there will be shortcomings too. No matter what the result is, I think I have received a lot from this movie.

Q: Seems like you’ll be joining the army? It’s a pity that you will be leaving Haemoo as the peak. You should ride on this momentum and take on more films.

A: Absolutely not. I had more concerns after shooting Haemoo than before it started. I was concerned about what type of films I want to do and what type of films I should be doing. If I have a little more time, I would want to go for it. I would like to slowly think about Park Yuchun as an individual and Park Yuchun as an actor. In this sense, the gap of 2 years will be a very precious time.

Q: Haemoo has been invited to the Toronto International Film Festival. Are you scheduled to attend? If you do attend, it will be your first time participating in an international film festival. How will it be like?

A: I would really love to attend but because JYJ’s concert will be around that time, I don’t think I will be able to make it. JYJ is not my individual activity so during my schedules as a singer, I have to adjust to the other members’ schedule too. I’ve seen in the news when people walk down the red carpet in an international film festival, it seems very wonderful. But the seniors said that they will be drinking a lot. Haha.

Q: This is quite an offbeat question. You’re turning 30 right? Your concept of love and relationship with the opposite sex will also seem to change. Particularly like this in movie, after experiencing such an intense love, I assume your view on love would have also changed?

A: Love…it’s difficult. It’s tough. Though you may have decided on it, you may not have it your way…The thing that is more difficult that work is love. If I do meet someone I really love, I would give up everything and just go for it. It’s not like “I’m giving up everything for you” kind of thing but when two become three and three become four and naturally giving your all…that is love.

Q: What kind of a charm in a woman are you attracted to?

A: Are you asking about “innocent by day, sexy by night” kind of stuff? Haha, just kidding. Firstly, the most important thing is the family environment. A person who receives a lot of love from her family is good. (The reporter said Yuchun was very pedantic). When looking for love, that is a very important element. In one way for another, children will be heavily influenced by their parents. It’s good if she has a sexy appearance but that is not all that I will be looking for.

Q: Now, this is the last question. Please give some advice to the audience who will be watching Haemoo as well as those who are hesitating to watch it.

A: Haemoo is not as dark and heavy as I thought it to be. You will also see the difficult pure love in the movie. It’s not as intense as you imagine but if I were to say it’s not too intense, you might be surprised…Anyway, it’s a movie which will leave you many thoughts after watching. How much have we thought about the life we live? If you ask, “How many times do you look up at the sky each day?” many people will halt at that thought. If you watch Haemoo, you will have a good opportunity to think about the various emotions of life’s experiences. Do come and watch it.

Source: SBSfunE
Translated by: @yochwennie(1,2,3)

[FACEBOOK] 140822 JYJ Official Facebook changes their profile picture

August 22, 2014 · rilanna

1_zpsd88d68b5.jpg

2_zps2ecd2dc2.png

Source: JYJ Official Facebook
Translated & Shared by: JYJ3

class="entry-title"[NEWS] 140824 JYJ performs for 8,000 fans in China August 24, 2014 · rilanna
24192535_zpsa130e8cd.jpg

JYJ held an approximately three-hour concert for fans in China over the weekend.

The group performed at its “The Return of the King” concert, which is part of its Asia tour, on Saturday in front of 8,000 fans in Beijing.

It’s been about three years since the group visited the city for its world tour in 2011.

“The group spent an unforgettable time with fans who have waited long for them [to come back],” said CJes Entertainment, the group’s agency.

Including solo performances, the trio presented 24 songs altogether. It opened the concert with dance music such as “Creation” and “Babo Boy,” then moved to some ballads such as “Dad, You There?” and “Let Me See.”

Fans showed the most excitement over the performance of “Back Seat,” the title song of the group’s second full-length album that was released last month, the agency said.

“We are so thankful for fans who filled the concert venue and showed their passion,” said the group. “Be with us as we will put more efforts to do better.”

The group is now traveling to Vietnam for another concert on Saturday.

Credit: Korea JoongAng Daily

[NEWS] JYJ successfully finished concert for eight thousand fans in Beijing

13_zps3a23164b.jpg

JYJ heated up China.

C-Jes Entertainment noticed, “We finished ‘2014 JYJ Asia Tour The Return of The King’ on August 23rd.”

JYJ visited Beijing three years after their World Tour in 2011, and showed their popularity in the cheer of Chinese fans.

At the stage for three hours, JYJ showed 24 songs including the solo stages.

Especially JYJ received cheers for singing ’10 years’ of Hong Kong artist Eason Chan in Chinese, for Chinese fans.

JYJ said, “We prepared ’10 years’ to give a special stage for Chinese fans. As this year is the 10th anniversary of our debut, it is meaningful to sing Chinese songs, and we hope to have more chances to sing Chinese songs.”

In succession he said, “Thanks for Chinese fans who filled the concert hall and cheered us. It has been 10 years but fans are enthusiastic yet. We always feel thankful and please expect us more.”

JYJ will have the forth concert, ‘2014 JYJ Asia Tour The Return of The King’ at Vietnam on August 30th.

Source: Innolife

[NEWS] JYJ successfully finish their solo concert in Beijing via Star N News EN

class="entry-title"[PIC+TRANS] Singapore Magazine “I-Weekly”: “The Avengers against SM” August 25, 2014 · rilanna

3_zpsa4224b5f.jpg

4_zpsfea8c0e2.jpg

The Avengers against SM (including JYJ, Han Geng and EXO Kris)

SM Entertainment has produced countless Kpop stars. Yet, there are some stars that have left the company, with animosity. Escaped from their previous employer, the idol stars still shine as usual, delivering outstanding performances.

JYJ Successful Comeback

JYJ have been in a lawsuit with SM Entertainment for several years and they have been banned on Korean national TV. However, all these do not hinder JYJ’s popularity.

Fans have not abandoned them as thirty thousand fans attended JYJ’s Seoul concert. JYJ are starting their Asia Tour in August, holding concerts in 8 cities. Released after three years of hiatus since their first album, their second album, ‘Just Us’, has received over a hundred and twenty thousand pre-orders and it topped iTunes charts of seven countries including Indonesia. Nothing can defeat them. Their extraordinary results are definitely not pleasant for SM.

Pic Credit: @twendy85jyj
Translated by: Mandragore of JYJ3

[iNTERVIEW TRANS] 140818 Park Yuchun, “Haemoo is not over yet. Even though 6 months have passed, I still can’t get over it.”

ada9ee4d8789f798f0f7829ad8b72510_zpsc5956a45.jpg

Park Yuchun says in today’s interview, “I am always able to get out of a role once a piece of work ends but for ‘Haemoo’, it was somewhat difficult.”

“It has been 6 months since filming for ‘Haemoo’ has ended. I even took up ‘Three Days’ after ‘Haemoo’ was over but it’s amazing how it (T/N: ‘Haemoo’) still remains. It struck me that I was immersed in that character to that extent,” he hinted the affection he has for the character of Dongshik.

“I was nervous about many things concerning the drama. However, I was able to immerse myself completely in the movie and I totally lost myself in Dongshik’s character. Emotionally, it was comfortable,” he explained.

[T/N: Repetitive information about Haemoo was omitted. Translation is done based on Yuchun's answers.]

Source: WStar news
Translated by: @yochwennie

[REVIEW] 140817 Under the ocean, ugliest side of human desire (Sea Fog) by The Korea Herald

August 17, 2014 · Jen_BabyLove

Drama ‘Sea Fog’ centers on true story behind the Taechangho incident

Moviegoers have seen quite a lot of the sea this summer, as ocean-themed films filled the silver screen.

Period action flick “Roaring Currents” showed Adm. Yi Sun-sin’s historic victory, while comedy action flick “The Pirates” depicted imaginary and colorful pirates in search of a whale that swallowed the Joseon royal seal.

Nothing like the first two films, “Sea Fog” presents a grim but realistic look at the ocean, depicting human greed lying under the surface.

“Through the life of six crew members of Jeonjinho (the name of the vessel in the film, translated as ‘to advance’) and Chinese migrants, I wanted to illustrate a blended microcosm of our real life into the film,” director Shim Sung-bo said at the film’s press premiere. “This is not a suspense or a thriller. It is a film about humans’ inborn desires, loneliness and ambiguity.”

1846107549_d06d21a5_zpse47a50fd.jpg

The film, set during 1998 during the Asian financial crisis that put thousands of Korean people out of work, forecasts a gloomy outlook as it is adapted from a theatrical performance of “Haemoo” (Korean translation of sea fog) based on a less publicly known tragedy that occurred in 2001.

The Taechangho incident occurred when 25 illegal Chinese immigrants were allegedly dumped at sea by Korean ship crew members, after being suffocated to death inside the ship’s fish storage compartment to hide from the maritime police. The people who suffocated were among 60 Chinese and ethnic Korean-Chinese migrants being smuggled across the border on the Korean vessel Taechangho.

The film follows the basic plot of the accident in detail, piecing together the fictional truth and some of motives behind the ship crew’s action to dispose the bodies.

The film’s realistic portrayal of the accident continues the unique style of Bong Joon-ho, who has painted social realism onto his previous films such as “The Host,” “Memories of Murder” and “Snowpiercer.”

But this time, “Snowpiercer” director Bong takes a different position. He is the executive producer as his “Memories of Murder” cowriter Shim makes his directorial debut.

20140817000372_0_zpsddd42fc2.jpg

20140817000374_0_zpsacc0bbcd.jpg

BBF8ACF5AC1CC2A4D2F85_zps73b7dcca.jpg

Bong’s emphasis on taking visually thrilling stories to reflect true humanist details on a visceral level matches detailed storyteller Shim’s discussion of what is under human desire, especially when faced with disaster.

The accident says it all, but it is quite difficult to pinpoint who is at fault for the tragedy in the first place.

The crew members were left with a series of tough choices and they made questionable decisions based on each person’s desire.

Therefore, this film is not geared to judge evil from good or wrong from right. Rather, it illustrates that there is no definite good or evil, and that duplicity and human nature are affected by the environment.

Ironically, the viewers are left with questions of what they would have done if they were in the crewmembers’ shoes. Some might even be able to sympathize with them.

The Jeonjinho leaves the docks hoping to return with a full load of fish only to end up burdened by the weight of human desires.

For captain Cheol-joo, played by Kim Yoon-shik, the Jeonjinho is all he has. Once a dominant fishing vessel in Yeosu, this old vessel lost its worth as the crew failed to catch fish. Cheol-joo plots to make money by trafficking in people rather than selling the ship for its scrap value.

He cries out “Inside this vessel, I am the president,” he tells Chinese stowaways who refuse to go inside the fish storage area. He disposes of dead bodies without any reserve to prevent possible scrutiny.

Unlike Cheol-joo, Wan-ho (Moon Sung-keun), the ship’s engineer who values morality and conscience, is the most sympathetic character in the film. When his morals are tested, he can no longer live normally.

Dong-sik, the youngest of six crew members, played by singer-turned-actor Park Yoo-chun, seems to be the most innocent and strongest character.

He immediately falls for Korean-Chinese migrant Hong-mae (Han Ye-ri), the only girl left on the ship. When Hong-mae becomes the source of the conflict, Dong-sik does everything to protect her. Dong-sik is genuine and less tainted than other older crew members. He values love and humanity even in harrowing circumstances.

As each crew member represents a mutually different desire ranging from social status, sexual desire, money, to love and even morality, the film simply deals with the theme of desire which causes woes for the humankind.

It is not sea fog that dashes the dreams of Chinese stowaways and Korean crew members. It was the ugly side of human desire that destroys everything, leaving few traces behind.

Source: The Korea Herald

Archived