Acne Question

soymilk

If you don't have acne anymore do you still apply acne medication?
This question is for the people who had acne. Even after all your acne is gone, do you still apply your daily acne medication such as BP to prevent acne from forming?

Not sure if this helps but I use cream for acne that the doctor prescribed for me, and it did work. I used it everyday and my acne got better, and so I stopped using it. Butttt then it came back ='/ so I had to start using it again, grr soo annoying. I've just accepted that it will come and go and the medication can only do so much, but it's mainly down to your hormones. I'm still using my cream and my acne is improving a lil. I'd say that if you haven't had it for some weeks now, then just use it but cut down so you become less dependent on it, soo maybe every 3 days if you're supposed to take it daily. If you haven't had it for years, then I'm pretty sure it's okayyy. :)

Guest Angel1430267648

Umm I didn't know you're suppose to keep applying even after you have clear skin? :huh: Like you don't "fix something that's not broken". I think it might make your skin immune to the acne medication, so when you get really bad acne again, it's not that effective? Everyone gets regular break outs, so it's normal. Unless it's like super severe, then by all means keep using it. But I just wouldn't continue using it even if my skin is fine.

Guest Christinaisweird

I use it as prevention too, but only on the spots where I know for sure they'll pop up again.

Yeup!

Plus, my derm didn't say anything about it.

Guest TimothyHoang

Umm I didn't know you're suppose to keep applying even after you have clear skin? :huh: Like you don't "fix something that's not broken". I think it might make your skin immune to the acne medication, so when you get really bad acne again, it's not that effective? Everyone gets regular break outs, so it's normal. Unless it's like super severe, then by all means keep using it. But I just wouldn't continue using it even if my skin is fine.

You can't become immune to the products. Alcohol is just alcohol that kills bacteria. They can't become immune to benzoyl peroxide because i'ts oxygen which kills them. Salicylic acid exfoliates the pores.

Acne isn't like a broken clock where you fix once and it won't break again. it does age and eventually you need to fix it again. Having constant tweaks will keep it in tip top shape.

Guest ehytee7

Yes, I think you still have to for maintenance. Coz when I went to my doctor he asked me if I was still using his prescribed cream, and i said only when there are new ones. He told me to still keep on using it even if there are no active acne.

Guest Angel1430267648

You can't become immune to the products. Alcohol is just alcohol that kills bacteria. They can't become immune to benzoyl peroxide because i'ts oxygen which kills them. Salicylic acid exfoliates the pores.

Acne isn't like a broken clock where you fix once and it won't break again. it does age and eventually you need to fix it again. Having constant tweaks will keep it in tip top shape.

You're just talking about drugstore products though right? I was talking about acne prescripted cream from the doctor.

You're just talking about drugstore products though right? I was talking about acne prescripted cream from the doctor.

Doesn't matter if it's over-the-counter or prescribed.

acne medication can't permanently change your hormone levels so that the acne just stops occuring forever.

i thought if you continuously used acne cream/medication or anything of the likes...your skin might get dependent on it and if you stopped using it, you'll get breakouts like no tomorrow O_o" so after i stopped getting acne, i ceased using any acne creams and my skin has been ok since then. But then again, it could be due to the hormone levels...

Guest TimothyHoang

i thought if you continuously used acne cream/medication or anything of the likes...your skin might get dependent on it and if you stopped using it, you'll get breakouts like no tomorrow O_o" so after i stopped getting acne, i ceased using any acne creams and my skin has been ok since then. But then again, it could be due to the hormone levels...

Well that is somewhat true. It will become dependant, but if you gotten over your hormonal acne, it doesn't really matter if you stop.

Guest Shellymelly

My family doctor told me you have to keep using it even after it cleared up to prevent it from happening again. You have to use it for like a period of time... then again I don't use those acne creams anymore... I think they're too harsh for my skin and it doesn't seem to help at all.

Guest lockettex3

don't keep using the same stuff that got rid of your acne once you have clear skin. its made to unplug pores and now that your pores are clean it'll just strip away the natural moisture and make you break out again because your oil glands will produce more oil to makeup for the lost moisture. so you should keep using it for a period of time after but not all the time. maybe as a once-a-week treatment to keep your pores clean but not daily.

only thing i need to use remotely related to preventing acne is AHA (more so as a quick and easy solution to exfoliate). a light face wash once a night and the AHA 1-2 times a week, i haven't seen major acne for almost 2 yrs. I still get a small red bump from time to time, but they are so small and insignificant now. I am confident i can slowly remove AHA from my regime and just wash my face once a night.

having tried almost every acne solution for 11 years, it's just not worth wasting resources on all these treatment to 'prevent' acne. i've said this numerous times in acne related threads here, keep mini cooper simple.

Archived