Hostess ?

SUPER.NANA

Guest deportedkorean

Well, it depends, what type of restaurant is this?

1st dress: Well, if it's casual dining, this is okay (to be honest, I'd stay away from anything with a graphic print on it, if it's a pattern, that's fine). Also, make sure the v-neck isn't too low (or wear a cami under it).

2nd dress: Me likey, looks like an overall safe choice (you can wear it for casual dining restaurant or a fancy restaurant).

You can wear a business-type outfit as well (for fine dining) like a pencil skirt and a blouse. Or even slacks and a nice blouse.

...I used to be a hostess at a fine dining restaurant...but we had uniforms (dresses).

Guest xxReminisce

It depends on the dress code at your work place. I wouldn't wear anything with pattern or designs. I work at a fine dining restaurant, and I usually just wear dress pants and a simple tshirt or polo.

Guest Veeneee

Nothing too long or dresses that make you sweat.

When I eat dinner in restaurants, some hostess wear long black dresses, and others wear flowery dresses, it really depends on your boss.

my opinion, i think the 2nd dress is easier to work with, not really liking the flowers on the 1st dress. I know some work places won't allow their employees to wear any type of pictures or logos on their clothes, because its like advertisement.

Guest overmyhead

I guess it depends on where you work. At my job, servers can only wear black.

Hostess wore a gray shirt, (to differentiate from servers), but everything else you wear MUST be black.

No designs were allowed.

I think you should just ask your manager what they expect you to wear to work, or go in and see what everyone on staff are wearing.

Guest BaboJen

Usually the restaurant has a dress code or some sort of uniform

If they don't I'll go with black dress pant with a white shirt

Your manager didn't give you the dress code? He/She shouldve told you or you should've asked during the interview. Often floor staff will wear solid black, so just go for a black dress with no pattern.

And it kinda depends on the clientele and the feel of the restaurant. Like two that I've worked in were more of a casual, loungey club type so I could wear mini-skirts if I wanted to. Another was a family restaurant, so the skirt had to be knee length (1-2" above was ok, but definitely not a mini). I ended up not working at this one, but it was more of a business place, so it was black pants or skirt with a button up top. If you saw the hostess working, just emulate that.

if the restaurant manager didn't request anything in particular, then just dress very cute. i was a hostess at a lounge/bar, so i glammed up a bit more (heels, earrings, cute top) but if it's for a restaurant, then something like what you picked seems fine! it's very suitable.

depends on what kind of restaurant you work in, best to ask your boss and also look at what other hostesses dress like, restaurant biz talk amongst themselves (close quarters and sometimes nothing to do), so find that balance so you don't stand out too much from the others

the dresses you posted are a bit dressier for most restaurants, I mean if you already have dresses like that in your closet then wear those, otherwise don't spend even more money to dress up for work. Don't spend your paycheck on hostess clothes. In my opinion (I'm a waitress), hostess should dress a little nicer than the servers (who require to wear basic uniforms) but still matches them. They should not dress so nice to be mistaken as the restaurant's owner or customer going to eat for a night out.

Archived