Official Which Dslr Should I Buy Thread

awdark

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest PrincessBoa

Hey everyone! :)

I've had my Kodak 7.1 Megapixel camera for only 2 years..and it has finally died on me. Haha.

I've been using my extremely old..Fujifilm Finepix DSLR (With the Nikon DX Lens) however I would like to get a less bulkier and nicer DSLR or digital camera.

I've been searching around on the web...I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a good decently priced (Under 500 dollars) digital camera? (For DSLR- Under 800 would be good.. but I prefer suggestions for a digital camera :))

I've been looking for one with macro, manual focus.. just in general takes good quality pictures.

Any suggestions? (If so- a link + a picture would be good :) )

Thanks so much!

-PrincessBoa

Guest nightz

The Panasonic LX3 has been getting lots of rave reviews (which is why I got one). Its a Leica D-Lux 4 except for half the price. If you're looking for something more recent, I'd get the Samsung TL500 (if you've noticed in my previous posts I mention the above cameras A LOT, and for good reason too), it looks like its going to be a hidden gem with the absolute lack of press its getting.

Guest erure

Panasonic LX3 is definitely something to look at. Canon PowerShot S90 is a great camera too, and it's around $400 or something like that. Lastly, for $900 you could get the Panasonic DMC-GF1, a really nice (and pretty!) compact micro four thirds camera which is like a DSLR, except it's smaller and looks more like a bigger point and shoot, but can still swap lenses. I'd get it with the 20mm f/1.7 lens, not the zoom lens. http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-GF1-Fo...8041&sr=8-1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Fifi

Hey all,

I'm deciding on which DSLR to buy from these two. They've been narrowed down according to what I wanted (Canon over Nikon), affordable price for me, all around lens to use for different shots (mainly macro/scenery landscape and some indoor shots) and easy handling.

1. Canon EOS 550D Lens Kit (EF-S 18-135mm IS)

- A bit cheaper, by just about 50 pounds

2. Canon EOS 500D Lens Kit 2 (EF-S 18-200 IS)

It'll be my first DSLR but I'm keen to learn more about photography myself because I seem to have developed an interest for it!

If anyone could help me with which of those two is recommended, then I'd appreciate the feedback! (: Thanks

Budget: $500-700 for the body. I prefer to only have to carry 1 lens.

Frequency of Usage:: Once every 2 weeks for events

Purpose (What, where, when?): Casual. For special events or just for taking pretty photographs of people.

Size/Weight: Light/Small DSLR. I don't want to lug around too much.

Desired Functions: Can take photos of fast-moving people w/o noise in inadequate indoor lighting. Easy-access manual focus.

Preferred Brand: Canon?

Preferred lens : Just a single lens I can use for many situations. I don't need a macro, telescopic, or fish-eye lens.

I'm looking for a replacement for my point-and-shoot Canon SD880 IS, which has become wholly inadequate for taking pictures at events and of taking pretty pictures of pretty people. The main problems of my point-and-shoot camera are:

- It's terrible at taking indoor pictures, especially when there's inadequate lighting. There's too much noise.

- Fast-movements always blur unless I use flash. I don't use flash.

- The flash is blinding and makes people look like scary ghosts. However, increasing the the ISO only goes so far before noise becomes a problem. Photoshop is terrible at fixing noise.

- I can't selectively focus on the background or foreground. I want a camera in which I can manually focus on any depth I want within half a second.

Please recommend me a camera and/or lens. Thanks!

Lastly, how is the Canon S90/G10/G11? Will any of those be enough, or do I need a DSLR?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest -K-Jae

Where's the best place to buy a dslr, beside Fry's, Best Buy, Circuit City, and Conn's??

I don't really want to trust ebay since it is a large sum of money. =/

Thank you.

Some excellent and reliable online sites include: Adorama, B&H Photo, Newegg, and Beach Camera.

Guest - V A N I L L A -

(Haha! didn't know this thread existed so posting it here again~)

hey amateur photographers! ^^ I've been trying to decide which DSLR camera to get for like.. forever! I've narrowed my selection to either a Nikon D5000 or the Olympus E620. From all the reviews I've read, the D5000 seems to have better image quality but wen I actually went to the store to try the two cameras out, the E620 seems to snap better pictures, although this could be due to the different settings, better LCD screen on the Olympus, etc. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions on which one to get? I knoe the E620 doesn't have video recording like D5000 but I don't think I'll be recording videos with my DSLR camera. Anyone own either of them, and if you do, feedback would be much appreciated! Thanks~~

Guest brianb032

^I actually used to have an E-620 and loved every bit of it while I had it. The JPEG image quality is great (with shadow compensation off), the rotating LCD priceless, focusing fast, Art Filters nice, lenses small (including telephotos), consumer lenses sharp (25; 35; and 40-150II), and the size was great as a DSLR. The only thing that bothered me was that I really wanted the quality of an E-620 in a point-n-shoot size body, so I ended up with an E-P1 instead. (Which is pretty much the same thing, but much slower focusing and no OVF.)

Regardless of brand or camera, if you're set on a DSLR, my recommendation would be to with the one that 'feels' right. A couple hundred bucks is no joke, so go with your gut and what feels right on this one.

Guest ~.Linh.~

hm, what are your thoughts on the Pentax K-x? :huh:

Heard it was kind of "better" than the Canon XSi/450D but then again, the k-x is rather new on the market.

Guest calv1124

hm, what are your thoughts on the Pentax K-x? :huh:

Heard it was kind of "better" than the Canon XSi/450D but then again, the k-x is rather new on the market.

hmmm I'd prefer the canon 450D for taking pictures because it's more aimed at the camera enthusiast, but the pentax K-x offers a lot for its price. The main reason I wouldn't buy it is because there are no superimposed AF points in the viewfinder, which can get quite inconvenient. However I love the range of colours, it's so awesome =D. If you're new DSLRs then the K-x is a pretty cool choice.

Guest PrincessBoa

Budget (Camera body only or including kit lens): Camera body: $500 or less for the Camera body and not too sure for lens..but as less as possible? :X Under 600 for all would be good but probably not possible haha. Just a beginner DSLR.

Frequency of Usage: I'm going to take it everywhere I'll go.

Purpose (What, where, when?): Take pictures of artwork, scenery, people, etc.. candids

Size/Weight: Not too big would be good I guess something I can fit in a medium sized purse or I can hold comfortably? Haha

Desired Functions: Manual modes...well I'm a total noob so I need help on this ):

Preferred Brand Canon/Nikon (D3000 for Nikon possibly??)

Preferred lens (Fixed Focal, Wide Angle, Macro, Telephoto, Prime, or specific mm/f-stop etc): I'm a noob ): I just want a beginner set of lens..that include macro? Haha

I basically need help with alot of things since I don't know where to start with buying a beginner DSLR ): Don't know which functions I want to go for..etc. Any suggestions on what I should look for in a camera would be good :D

Thanks and its greatly appreciated!!

-PrincessBoa

Guest -HyuNi-

Budget: $500-700 for the body. I prefer to only have to carry 1 lens.

Frequency of Usage:: Once every 2 weeks for events

Purpose (What, where, when?): Casual. For special events or just for taking pretty photographs of people.

Size/Weight: Light/Small DSLR. I don't want to lug around too much.

Desired Functions: Can take photos of fast-moving people w/o noise in inadequate indoor lighting. Easy-access manual focus.

Preferred Brand: Canon?

Preferred lens : Just a single lens I can use for many situations. I don't need a macro, telescopic, or fish-eye lens.

I'm looking for a replacement for my point-and-shoot Canon SD880 IS, which has become wholly inadequate for taking pictures at events and of taking pretty pictures of pretty people. The main problems of my point-and-shoot camera are:

- It's terrible at taking indoor pictures, especially when there's inadequate lighting. There's too much noise.

- Fast-movements always blur unless I use flash. I don't use flash.

- The flash is blinding and makes people look like scary ghosts. However, increasing the the ISO only goes so far before noise becomes a problem. Photoshop is terrible at fixing noise.

- I can't selectively focus on the background or foreground. I want a camera in which I can manually focus on any depth I want within half a second.

Please recommend me a camera and/or lens. Thanks!

Lastly, how is the Canon S90/G10/G11? Will any of those be enough, or do I need a DSLR?

Hey Hsuke, I just saw this, sorry for the late response.

I just wanted to tell you that a DSLR will not be significantly better than a regular point and shoot indoors or in dim lighting (especially without knowing how to use it) unless you invest in either external flashes or you buy specific lenses that have wide apertures to freeze motion in low light.

Everything depends on light. There's no magic camera that will capture the perfect photo with a click of a button.

Sorry to be a debbie downer, but I don't want you to expect something great and be out of decent coin only to be disappointed.

Your budget limits what you can choose as your DSLR.

Basically, you have the only option of Rebels. There's the Canon XS and older models such as the XT and the XTi. If you have a friend that's into photography, then you might want to dive into the used market. I have bought over $5k worth of gear (basically all of my gear) used and had no problems with it. You just have to know what ur looking for.

So I'd suggest you keep your eye out for the Canon XS and you can go with the 18-55IS for normal shots in good lighting and get the EF 50 f/1.8 ($100) for lowlight situations.

Regarding the S90, I have been wanting to get that for SO long! That P&S is an amazing piece of equipment. It lets you full time manual everything (not sure about manual focus though). You should check the review on dpreview.com

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0908/09081907canons90.asp

Budget (Camera body only or including kit lens): Camera body: $500 or less for the Camera body and not too sure for lens..but as less as possible? :X Under 600 for all would be good but probably not possible haha. Just a beginner DSLR.

Frequency of Usage: I'm going to take it everywhere I'll go.

Purpose (What, where, when?): Take pictures of artwork, scenery, people, etc.. candids

Size/Weight: Not too big would be good I guess something I can fit in a medium sized purse or I can hold comfortably? Haha

Desired Functions: Manual modes...well I'm a total noob so I need help on this ):

Preferred Brand Canon/Nikon (D3000 for Nikon possibly??)

Preferred lens (Fixed Focal, Wide Angle, Macro, Telephoto, Prime, or specific mm/f-stop etc): I'm a noob ): I just want a beginner set of lens..that include macro? Haha

I basically need help with alot of things since I don't know where to start with buying a beginner DSLR ): Don't know which functions I want to go for..etc. Any suggestions on what I should look for in a camera would be good :D

Thanks and its greatly appreciated!!

-PrincessBoa

$500 is going to be very tough for a DSLR. You basically have to stay at the consumer grade like the Canon XS or the Nikon D40, D60, D3000.

As for lenses, unfortunately, there's not many lenses that are a jack of all trades that do everything. For the ones that do, either they are super expensive, or the image quality is terrible.

I'd research the cameras that are within your budget online and after doing so, go to your local electronics store and hold all the brands in your hands and find out which one feels most comfortable to you.

Guest PrincessBoa

$500 is going to be very tough for a DSLR. You basically have to stay at the consumer grade like the Canon XS or the Nikon D40, D60, D3000.

As for lenses, unfortunately, there's not many lenses that are a jack of all trades that do everything. For the ones that do, either they are super expensive, or the image quality is terrible.

I'd research the cameras that are within your budget online and after doing so, go to your local electronics store and hold all the brands in your hands and find out which one feels most comfortable to you.

^Hey HyuNi, thanks so much for the fast response. :)

I've held both the Nikon D3000 and the D5000 and am debating on either of the two right now..=/ I know the prime difference is that the D5000 has LiveView and can shoot video while the D3000 doesn't. Which do you think I should get? =/

I think the lens on either of the two DSLR's should be fine.. I don't think I need to buy a set of lens right now. I guess if I wanted to buy a set of lens, I would want one that can do Macro.

=/ Hm.

Canon S90 was also an option for me at one point..decisions decisions haha.

-PrincessBoa

Guest calv1124

^Hey HyuNi, thanks so much for the fast response. :)

I've held both the Nikon D3000 and the D5000 and am debating on either of the two right now..=/ I know the prime difference is that the D5000 has LiveView and can shoot video while the D3000 doesn't. Which do you think I should get? =/

I think the lens on either of the two DSLR's should be fine.. I don't think I need to buy a set of lens right now. I guess if I wanted to buy a set of lens, I would want one that can do Macro.

=/ Hm.

Canon S90 was also an option for me at one point..decisions decisions haha.

-PrincessBoa

Hey,

The main difference between the D3000 and D5000 is performance, the processor in the D3000 is older than the one in the D5000, if you plan to shoot in raw format, the D3000 will take a few seconds to show the picture on the LCD, which is very very veryyyy annoying, the D5000 has a newer processor so everything happens instantly =D. Though if you plan to shoot everything in jpeg, then it doesn't really matter. If you're going to do low light photography and use high iso, then I'd suggest the D5000, as the sensor in the D3000 isn't the best performer.above iso 800. Apart from those two differences and the live view/video, there is the new guide mode, which makes it really easy to achieve certain effects in photos.

So it's really up to you weighing up your options to see which camera suits you better~

• 2 weeks later...
Guest toGETherONE

Panasonic LX3 is definitely something to look at. Canon PowerShot S90 is a great camera too, and it's around $400 or something like that. Lastly, for $900 you could get the Panasonic DMC-GF1, a really nice (and pretty!) compact micro four thirds camera which is like a DSLR, except it's smaller and looks more like a bigger point and shoot, but can still swap lenses. I'd get it with the 20mm f/1.7 lens, not the zoom lens. http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-GF1-Fo...8041&sr=8-1

I've been looking into a LX-3 but it defeats my purpose which is to take load of sports sequence and/or active kids photos. It is reluctant in that area. Otherwise, I can't really say anything worst about a LEICA lens, and all those settings. Wow! :blink: Focus, back on my aching calling.

Since D40 is obsolete, one of the lightest SLRs out there, I have to think of alternatives. Adding a 50mm and 18-200mm lens to this collection can be a hefty pinch in my piggy bank along w/ the appropriate camera body I end up choosing. Leaning more towards a Nikon, of course. D90?

Guest makemyday

what would you guys say is a good beginner dslr?

i've been using a regular point & shoot so far and have been interested in stepping it up a notch. i know that getting a dslr wont make my pictures magically amazing haha but i've always been interested in photography and if i ever want to get into it seriously, i've gotta start somewhere! haha

so i've been leaning towards canon or nikon. canon because its my p&s brand and the interface will probably be easier to figure out and i've always loved the quality of color in canon pictures. nikon, because like canon, has a wide range of equipment and also takes great pictures..

i've looked at the nikon d40 and canon xti but honestly, i really don't know what exactly to look for and what makes any camera better than the next haha so i need your help!

my price range is 400 - 700 ish.. i know that doesn't leave a lot of variety but hey, like i said, i'm just getting started hahah

thanks in advance!

ps. what do you guys think about the canon g11? i know its not a dslr but i looked at it in the store and the camera's got amazing light quality! just wondering :)

Guest kelvin6

I'm pretty soon joining the DSLR crowd. I just purchased a Nikon D200 as my first DSLR (should be arriving tomorrow or the day after). The reason why I chose this camera was that I came from a film SLR background (Olympus OM system), and that I decided I wanted to invest in and grow in the Nikon family of equipment. I can't transfer over my old lens or equipment, which had set me back from buying a DSLR (since my film lens/flashes don't have a digital system to work on). Aside from SLRs i've had two Nikon Coolpix cameras prior to my DSLR.

Archived