Guest avinn

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest subduing mara

January 6, 2010

Gang Dong-won says envies Song Kang-ho's animal instincts

2010010612350875718_1.jpg

A former South Korean intelligence agency official and a North Korean spy sent to South Korea. In most films, such a setting would end as a tragedy or result in a clash of ideologies as was the case in films "Swiri" or "Joint Security Area (JSA)". These characters, who have been trained for the good of their country, will confront each other brutally or will have to face numerous conspiracies as was the case with the NSS agents in KBS TV series "IRIS". But "Secret Reunion" is a film which seems to be set on providing a new form of enjoyment through its characters. Unlike its poster showing a resolutely determined Song Kang-ho and Gang Dong-won, a preview video revealed at a press conference for the film on Tuesday at the Plaza Hotel drew frequent bursts of laughter from the audience.

Lee Han-gyu (played by Song) who looks better as the owner of a detective agency than the national intelligence service from which he has been expelled, and North Korean spy Song Ji-won (played by Gang) who still flaunts his outstanding looks on screen despite the director's efforts to do his best to "make him not look like a model", start living together for different purposes. Lee employes Song to win a prize money given for catching spies and Song starts working at Lee's agency to make money to return to the North. Each character, both of whom have been ousted by their organizations, will try to use the other as a tool to reclaim their original positions but the wall between them starts collapsing. "Secret Reunion," which focused on the individual changes the two characters go through regardless of their different ideologies, is set for release on February 4. Below are excerpts from the press conference attended by Song, Gang and director Jung.

2010010612350875718_2.jpg

Actor Song Kang-ho [Lee Jin-hyuk/10Asia]

Q: What sort of film is "Secret Reunion"?

Jang Hun (Jang): A South Korean man in the National Intelligence Service meets with a North Korean man sent to the South as a spy. The film is about the two men who start out as enemies but change after seeing the humane sides to each other while living together.

Q: I'm curious to know why you took on this film which is Jang Hun's second only directorial pic.

Song Kang-ho (Song): I was surprised at how great of a movie he had made on such a small budget for "Rough Cut". I took on this film because I was deeply impressed by his directing skills where he expresses everything he wants to while not revealing his own sense of identity which new directors usually have a hard time concealing.

Q: Your image as actors are very different -- as different as your characters Lee Kyu-han and Song Ji-won in the film. How was it working with each other?

Song: I think Gang Dong-won is the most dazzling actor around right now. I had always thought he's a charming younger actor so I had been curious to find out what his personality was like. After working with him I found out he is sincere in many ways and quite unexpectedly, has a strong passion for his work. He smiles a lot too. So I think in those ways, he is very different how you see him on the outside. He was great in "WOOCHI" but you'll see a completely contrasting type of attractiveness in "Secret Reunion". I think this year will be his year. (laugh)

Gang Dong-won (Gang): I was very scared of Song. Not his personality but because he is such a great actor. (laugh) There were times when I would think he is terrifying. I've said this to director Jang before but Song is like a monster. He responds with animal-like instincts when he's acting which was very scary but also so great. I really learned a lot from him.

Q: Both Kim Yoon-suk from "WOOCHI" and Song are actors who drink a lot while working on films. Who made you drink more?

Gang: They are definitely not people who force you to drink. We drank about seven times a week while filming "Secret Reunion" (laugh) although never a lot. We would just talk a lot over a couple of drinks. Kim Yoon-suk would join us occasionally if I and Song were out drinking in Itaewon.

Song: Gang is young so he drinks pretty well. But he doesn't drink hardcore -- he just lasts for a long time. We usually get done early but he'll beg that we go for another round elsewhere. (laugh) But we're nothing compared to the cast and crew of "WOOCHI". They're heavy drinkers. I think Gang got trained there. (laugh)

Q: You worked consecutively with South Korea's greatest actors Kim Yoon-suk and Song Kang-ho. What were the similarities or differences you felt while acting with them?

Gang: I don't think I'm in the position to comment on that... (laugh) But I did feel this with both of them -- that I felt more comfortable when I actually go into shoot with them. I think it's because I got the feeling that they were telling me, 'Do whatever and everything you want. I can deal with it."

We heard that you have plans to enter the military this year. Will "Secret Reunion" be the last film you work on before you do?

Gang: I have plans for another movie after "Secret Reunion" is released but I can't talk about it yet.

Q: In your previous film "Rough Cut," you were evident in showing the contrast between So Ji-sub and Kang Ji-hwan's characters image-wise by using different colors -- black and white -- to portray them. Did you use such techniques in this film too?

Jang: "Rough Cut" wasn't based on realistic, daily life so I set the characters apart visually by using those contrasting colors. But I wanted to give "Secret Reunion" the feeling that it's something happening around us in everyday life. That's why visually, the two characters don't seem too different. Although in Gang's case, I put in extra effort to make sure that he doesn't look like a model.

Q: Your previous film was also about two completely different men becoming like each other as they get to know more about the other person. "Secret Reunion" is also about two men. Is there a reason you keep going with the same format?

Jang: I just somehow ended up telling a story about two men again. It's not that I'm into plots involving two men -- I took on this film because the scenario was fun. I want to work with an actress next time. (laugh)

Q: You worked with Song and Gang who are different in terms of both acting and star quality. How was it?

Jang: I didn't know I would get to work with them for the second film. But it was easier than I had expected to cast them. They both enjoyed reading the scenario so I got lucky in getting to work with them. And while in filming, I discovered aspects to them that were different from the thoughts I originally had of them. I had thought that Song was someone who had a humane, familiar and funny appeal to him but he turned out to be extremely intellectual when it comes to working on a film. And Gang is so good-looking and seemingly quiet so I thought it would be hard to communicate with him but it turned out that he talks a lot. (laugh) He said he became more talkative after shooting "WOOCHI" so thanks to that, I think I had an easier time working with him.

Q: If you could take away a strength from the other actor, what would it be?

Gang: Song's terrifying animal instincts? (laugh)

Song: I want to say looks (laugh) but there is something more attractive to him than that. Should I call it Gang's romantic sense of humor or values? I had never expected to see such sides to him but they are beautiful sides to him I discovered while working on this film with him. It's not easy to be a actor with such thoughts or values. I was very happy to see that he is someone who lives hard-heartedly and fiercely but also stands his ground.

Q: Any last words for the audience who will watch your film?

Jang: "Secret Reunion" is based on North and South Korea's relationship but it's not a serious movie. Whether the character is from the North or the South, the story is about their humane sides so I hope you focus on that and have fun watching it.

Song: I think this film will be a admirable film which will provide another form of enjoyment to the large number of Gang's fans. (laugh) We hope you like it.

Gang: "Secret Reunion" is a film which contains a variety of entertaining elements. I think it'll be fun if you focus on that since Song put on some great acting again. (laugh)

Reporter : Lee Ji-Hye seven@10asia.co.kr Photographer : Lee Jin-hyuk eleven@10asia.co.kr Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr

<ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

Guest subduing mara

thx for more screen caps :D .. i also got NG to share... DW and SKH look very happy working together .. They are more like father and son than the enemy ^^'

Guest kdramafanusa

[KBS]

Song Kang-ho’s New Movie 'Sworn Brothers'

[2010-01-15]

In an interview at a hotel in Sokong-dong, actor Song Kang-ho said, “First of all, I could easily identify my own personality with the character I played in the movie ‘Sworn Brothers' better than in any of my other movies. The character of Han-kyu in Sworn Brothers seems to me to be a mix of previous characters I played before, including Doo-man (Memories of murder) and Kyung-pil (Joint Security Area JSA). I think that my character Han-kyu is a unique character, but I also used several of my previous characters from my other movies to influence the character 'Han-kyu.' I see my role as Han-kyu to be an assorted gift of my acting experiences for my fans. I tried to show the essence of my acting through Han-kyu and to express him as a father and a husband in his daily life, even though Han-kyu is an agent of the National Intelligence Service (laughing)."

Song, who has gained growing popularity and recognition for his acting credentials, plays Han-kyu, a former agent of the NIS in the movie “Sworn Brothers,” which is the second movie by director Jang Hoon, whose first project as the main director was “A Movie is a Movie." Sworn Brothers will be released on February 4.

During the interview, Song talks about the life of ordinary people several times. Song believes that the character Han-kyu of Sworn Brothers is similar to the character of another "average joe" whom he played in the film “Elegant Universe” named In-gu. However, according to Song, there are some differences between Elegant Universe and Sworn Brothers: "In Elegant Universe, Song’s character portrays a darker side, but Sworn Brothers is a movie that audiences can comfortably watch and enjoy.”

7260_771_l.jpg

Song, a middle aged man with 2 children, is not different from other fathers even though he has special concerns as an actor. As a father, he also cares about the health, future, and academic performances of his children.

Song said, “I was thinking about sending my children to study abroad to improve their English. However, as a father, I would have to sacrifice my own happiness if my children go study abroad at an early age. Therefore, I had to think really hard to decide and then I finally decided to have happiness as a father (laughing)."

In Sworn Brothers, a buddy film, Song appears together with Kang Dong-won for the first time. During the interview, Song described Kang, who played his partner Song Ji-won, as an attractive actor.

Song said, “Some people worried whether my appearance would be a good match for his because we are sworn brothers. However, our personalities compliment each other very well in the movie, so, we both agree that we made a fantastic pair as sworn brothers in the movie (laughing)." Song added, “As a young man, Kang Dong-won is cautious as well as clever. Most of all, his strength lies in being honest about his feelings.”

7260_772_l.jpg

Song said he appeared in the movie because he trusts in the director, Jang Hoon, despite lower production costs (3.5 Billion Won). Song mentioned that the directing ability of Jang Hoon drew him in while he was watching Jang’s film “A Movie is a Movie.”

Song said, “Director Jang is very knowledgeable about popular movies. During the movie, Jang directed several excellent scenes. He seems to have his own special approach to the theme in a movie. I can confidently say the movie is a great movie, even though it is not the greatest masterpiece.” The Korean movie industry still seems to be having a financially difficult time even though the percentage of the Korean movies in the market slightly increased this past year. However, Song does not seem to be concerned about the economic depression of film industry.

Song will up here in the noir movie “Night Fog,” which will be directed by Lee Hyun-seong, this spring. Song said, “The movie is a kind of noir movie. The final stage of the script for the movie is being written. There are no bedroom scenes (laughing). I really hoped I could work with director Lee if I had a chance. The movie 'Night Fog' seems would have a strongly-expressed melodramatic mood since the director, Lee, is a master of melodrama (laughing)."

7260_773_l.jpg

Song is fortunate because he appeared in good movies directed by great directors. And the directors, who worked together with actor Song, are also lucky as well. Song worked together with famous directors such as Lee Chang-dong, Bong Jun-ho, Park Chan-wook, and Kim Ji-woon.

Some people mentioned Song might stick to working with those directors. Song replied, ”Certainly, I have a very good relationships with the directors (laughing). However, I do not work with only the directors. Basically, I choose the films I will up here in based on the script. At the same time, the director is more important than the script. I usually decide to work on a film after I talk seriously with the director regarding the movie and understand the intention and plan of the director." When a reporter asked him if he would like to be a director, Song said, “I don’t have any ability and any desires for it. I just want to devote myself to my acting.”

In addition, Song said, “When I was in my thirties, I had power as a young man. The more I get older, the more I get wise through many experiences, but I seem to lose my energy. I think acting is not easy."

A reporter asked Song about his favorite dialogue in his movies and Song replied, “It is my favorite line even though is not mine. In the movie ‘Bat‘, Kim Ok-bin says, ‘Death is the end.’ The line has deep meaning. I would like to devote myself to my acting without regret when I die."

Guest kdramafanusa

Gang and Song say bonded like "Brothers"

Reporter : Lee Ji-Hye | seven@10asia.co.kr

기사입력 2010.01.21 17:26 최종수정 2010.01.21 17:41

2010012108343318829_1.jpg

Director Jang Hoon (center) poses with his lead actors Song Kang-ho (left) and Gang Dong-won attend a press conference for film "Sworn Brothers" held at the COEX Megabox Multiplex theater in Seoul, South Korea on January 19, 2010. [Creative Film Marketing]

Press conference for film "Sworn Brothers"

Song Kang-ho keeps throwing verbal jabs which makes the audience burst out in laughter. Gang Dong-won wears a complex, multi-layered look in his eyes that has not been seen in any of his previous films. From what has been revealed at the press conference for "Sworn Brothers", held at Seoul's Megabox Multiplex on Tuesday, "Brothers" not only maximized the strengths of the two actors but also took an unexpected turn. The character Han-gyu, a former NIS (National Intelligence Service) agent who now runs a detective agency, appears to be a mixture of Song's two previous characters -- the NIS agent in "Swiri" and the middle-aged mobster in "The Show Must Go On". But his remarks in the movie go far beyond just being funny lines spoken by a character -- it's as if the actor and the character have become one. And one can see in the close-up shots that Gang Dong-won -- who looks as slick as a deer even when he's wearing suits that have long gone out of fashion -- carries in his eyes the intensity of a North Korean spy who is immensely conflicted between his ideology and his emotions.

2010012108343318829_2.jpg

Scenes from the film "Sworn Brothers" [Creative Film Marketing]

With issues like the North-South division and marrying immigrants entangled in the story, "Brothers" is to no extent a light movie. But even during the pursuit scenes between the NIS and the killer or action scenes with a Vietnamese organization, one cannot help laughing at the humor created by the gap felt between the seriousness of film's theme and what one actually sees on the screen. The film "Brothers" -- which Song Kang-ho confidently described as "made so well that it makes me blush" -- opens in theaters on February 4. The following is an excerpt from the Q&A session held after the press screening.

Q: "Brothers" deals with the division of North and South Korea, but the movie feels more comical than serious. What kind of movie were you trying to make?

Director Jang Hoon (Jang): An NIS agent and a North Korean spy get abandoned by their government agency but meet again six years later. The story started with what could happen when these two meet again. The movie is serious before they see each other again, but the tone of the film lightens up after they meet. I think what makes it entertaining is the comical parts surrounding two men living together and the ensuing drama when they start understanding each other.

2010012108343318829_3.jpg

Actor Song Kang-ho [Creative Film Marketing]

Q: In the case of Song Kang-ho, you have appeared in movies that dealt with the North-South division such as "Swiri" and "Joint Security Area JSA". "Brothers" also deals with the subject but it approaches the issue in a different way than your other films did.

Song Kang-ho (Song): The reality hasn't changed -- the country is still divided as it was ten years ago. But I think there's been a change in our awareness, like our thoughts about the division having changed over the years. It's not our fundamental thoughts that have changed but our attitude in accepting reality. "Brothers" is very different from "Swiri". I wouldn't call it light but maybe you could say it deals with reality in a sophisticated way. In the past, we were educated under the circumstances like the division and the military regime and were even taken advantage of. But I think people have become more free-spirited now and they accept the reality as it is.

Q: Since the film is about the process of two very different men becoming brothers, the actors must have communicated a lot as well.

Gang Dong-won (Gang): I talked a lot with Song Kang-ho after we finished filming the movie. I told him about my problems and I'm grateful because I think he instilled confidence in me. I'm sure this isn't true but he told me, "I wasn't as good as you when I was your age. You're doing really well." That compliment really invigorated me.

Song: There is a large physical age gap between us but surprisingly, Gang Dong-won is an actor who thinks a lot and deeply about life and his acting. So much that his nickname on the set was "old man". (laugh) I envied the fact that he is a deep thinker and expresses himself honestly, and if he uses those traits in his acting, I think he could be a really great actor. We had fun shooting the film and we had good chemistry. We look so different that the title "Sworn Brothers" didn't feel right in the beginning but there was talk on set that we were starting to look alike... I'm just kidding. (laugh)

2010012108343318829_4.jpg

Actor Gang Dong-won [Creative Film Marketing]

Q: Was there a special moment in the movie when you felt like you were really brothers, like your characters Han-gyu and Ji-won?

Song: The two of us went out for drinks and talked a lot. Gang Dong-won is a really funny guy. He loos like a typical [Korean province] Gyeongsang-do guy who doesn't talk much and isn't very friendly, but when you get to know him you see that he's a very funny storyteller. But there's a depth to his stories and I could tell that he was a young man who was raised well in a good family. I found his personality to be just as attractive as his looks. (To Gang) What would be our special piece of memory?

Gang: I once went to Busan to see Song Kang-ho and he fell asleep in the room while we were drinking. So I woke him up and started drinking again... (laugh) Nothing special happened but we had a lot of conversations. I think we talked about anything and everything.

Q: You still have a Gyeongsang Province accent -- did it bother you while you were playing your character as a North Korean spy?

Gang: I used to worry about my accent but I stopped caring from a certain point on. I talked to Song Kang-ho about this and he told me not to worry about it too much. He said, "Your emotions is what matters when you're acting. If the audience says something about your accent, it means your acting wasn't good enough. We talk to express our characters' emotions but if they're noticing the accent first, then it means you didn't deliver your emotions well enough."

Q: "Avatar" and "WOOCHI" are currently ranked first and second on the box office. How many viewers are you expecting for "Brothers"? Do you think it will do better than "WOOCHI"?

Gang: Personally, I hope to see both "WOOCHI" and "Brothers" playing in theaters at the same time. Then many people who liked "Brothers" would go see "WOOCHI" and come watch "Brothers" again. (laugh) That would be really great.

Reporter : Lee Ji-Hye seven@10asia.co.kr

Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr

<ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved>

~

[PHOTO] Song, Kang pose at "Sworn Brothers" press conf

Photographer : Lee Ki-bum | metro83@asiae.co.kr

기사입력 2010.01.21 17:21 최종수정 2010.01.21 17:21

2010012116420862122_1.jpg

Actors Song Kang-ho and Gang Dong-won [Lee Ki-bum/Asia Economic Daily]

From left, actors Song Kang-ho and Gang Dong-won pose during a photo session of a press conference for film "Sworn Brothers" held at the COEX Megabox Multiplex theater in Seoul, South Korea on January 19, 2010.

Photographer : Lee Ki-bum metro83@asiae.co.kr

Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr

~

[PHOTO] Gang, Song at "Sworn Brothers" press conference

Photographer : Lee Ki-bum | metro83@asiae.co.kr

기사입력 2010.01.21 17:21 최종수정 2010.01.21 17:21

2010012116384340496_1.jpg

Actors Gang Dong-won and Song Kang-ho [Lee Ki-bum/Asia Economic Daily]

From left, actors Gang Dong-won and Song Kang-ho laugh during a press conference for film "Sworn Brothers" held at the COEX Megabox Multiplex theater in Seoul, South Korea on January 19, 2010.

Photographer : Lee Ki-bum metro83@asiae.co.kr

Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[yonhap news]

Movie 'Sworn Brothers'

PYH2010011909150034400_P2.jpg

Jan. 19, SEOUL, South Korea -- The stars of the new movie "Sworn Brothers" -- Kang Dong-won (L), Song Kang-ho © -- along with director Jang Hoon ® smile during a publicity event in Seoul on Jan. 19. The movie, which depicts a former intelligence agent who was kicked out of his job six years ago following a suspicious event that unfolded in the heart of Seoul, will be released in South Korea on Feb. 4. (Yonhap)

South Korean actors Song Kang-ho and Kang Dong-won

PYH2010011909220034400_P2.jpg

Jan. 19, SEOUL, South Korea -- South Korean actors Song Kang-ho ® and Kang Dong-won, who star in the new movie "Sworn Brothers," respond to reporters' questions during a publicity event in Seoul on Jan. 19. The movie, which depicts a former intelligence agent who was kicked out of his job six years ago following a suspicious event that unfolded in the heart of Seoul, will be released in South Korea on Feb. 4. (Yonhap)

PYH2010011909240034400_P2.jpg

Jan. 19, SEOUL, South Korea -- South Korean actor Song Kang-ho, who stars in the new movie "Sworn Brothers," responds to reporters' questions during a publicity event in Seoul on Jan. 19. The movie, which depicts a former intelligence agent who was kicked out of his job six years ago following a suspicious event that unfolded in the heart of Seoul, will be released in South Korea on Feb. 4. (Yonhap)

PYH2010011909260034400_P2.jpg

PYH2010011909020034400_P2.jpg

Jan. 19, SEOUL, South Korea -- South Korean actor Kang Dong-won, who stars in the new movie "Sworn Brothers," listens to reporters' questions during a publicity event in Seoul on Jan. 19. The movie, which depicts a former intelligence agent who was kicked out of his job six years ago following a suspicious event that unfolded in the heart of Seoul, will be released in South Korea on Feb. 4. (Yonhap)

PYH2010011909090034400_P2.jpg

PYH2010011909270034400_P2.jpg

PYH2010011909070034400_P2.jpg

Jan. 19, SEOUL, South Korea -- South Korean actor Kang Dong-won, who stars in the new movie "Sworn Brothers," responds to reporters' questions during a publicity event in Seoul on Jan. 19. The movie, which depicts a former intelligence agent who was kicked out of his job six years ago following a suspicious event that unfolded in the heart of Seoul, will be released in South Korea on Feb. 4. (Yonhap)

PYH2010011909210034400_P2.jpg

PYH2010011909250034400_P2.jpg

PYH2010011908980034400_P2.jpg

Jan. 19, SEOUL, South Korea -- South Korean actor Song Kang-ho, who stars in the new movie "Sworn Brothers," poses for a photo during a publicity event in Seoul on Jan. 19. The movie, which depicts a former intelligence agent who was kicked out of his job six years ago following a suspicious event that unfolded in the heart of Seoul, will be released in South Korea on Feb. 4. (Yonhap)

PYH2010011909000034400_P2.jpgPYH2010011909010034400_P2.jpg

Jan. 19, SEOUL, South Korea -- South Korean actor Kang Dong-won, who stars in the new movie "Sworn Brothers," poses for a photo to reporters' questions during a publicity event in Seoul on Jan. 19. The movie, which depicts a former intelligence agent who was kicked out of his job six years ago following a suspicious event that unfolded in the heart of Seoul, will be released in South Korea on Feb. 4. (Yonhap)

PYH2010011908990034400_P2.jpg

[heymannews]

oQw3yOMBnX.jpg

kpyXSzyaE7.jpg

IDGNMzjra3Y1w.jpg

nJluBcW7jrhZCQf.jpg

g3huiUB5o7EqC.jpg

XwGd7q4AUufAlNy9PGGAfHw.jpg

MzbA9QX5XR.jpg

4RyP8EpObcG9TswhxNqVOjYB.jpg

XoVYakXIbuLWfgbbgLTVnC.jpg

Guest kdramafanusa

Source: JoongAng Daily

Bonds of brotherhood, on and off screen

January 21, 2010

Two critically-acclaimed Korean actors are appearing together in an upcoming movie that touches on the inter-Korean issue.

Song Kang-ho of "Thirst" which was recognized at Cannes last year, and Gang Dong-won of the Korean action flick "Jeon Woo Chi: The Taoist Wizard," play South and North Korean agents in the new movie "Secret Reunion."

The film, by director Jang Hun, whose debut feature was "Rough Cut" (2008), tells the story of two men who reunite six years after their first encounter, which involved a gunfight between the two Koreas.

Lee Han-kyu (Song Gang-ho), a National Intelligence Service agent from the South, was discharged after the inter-Korean incident. Six years later, he accidentally runs into Song Ji-won (Gang Dong-won), an agent from the North, who was also dismissed and then abandoned by his government after the incident. The two discover they have more in common than just their dismissal and the plot follows them as their relationship changes and they go from enemies to friends.

There have been many Korean movies and dramas about the NIS and secret agents. In the most recent version of this plot line, Lee Byung-hun plays a National Intelligence Service agent in the hit KBS-2 drama "Iris."

So what makes Secret Reunion different from the rest?

"The film doesn't actually deal much with secret agents and their lives. In fact, the characters' positions as secret agents serve more as a device to develop the story," Song said in a press event held earlier this month.

Jang also made it clear: "Secret Reunion revolves around South-North relations, but it takes a brighter attitude toward the subject than you might think. I hope that audiences will enjoy this movie, which reveals a lesser-known side of our society through characters that are interesting."

Some may also wonder what enticed actors like Song and Gang to become involved in a film by Jang, who is relatively new to directing.

Song had a well-considered answer.

"I admired Jang's ability to make a movie that was as good as 'Rough Cut' with such a relatively low budget," Song said. "Jang has the ability to express what he wants to say, even though he is a new director.

"I'll let the audience have the final say on whether the movie is first rate, but personally, I think Secret Reunion is a heartwarming and enjoyable movie," he added.

When the two actors - who said that they built a bond of brotherhood while they were shooting the movie - were asked their opinions of one another, Song said, "Gang is known for his good looks, but he is a guy who has more than that. I like his sense of humor and his confidence in himself as an actor."

"I'm in awe of Song's instincts as an actor and his accuracy," Gang said.

Secret Reunion will hit local theaters on Feb. 4.

By Park Sun-young [spark0320@joongang.co.kr]

Director Jang Hun, actors Song Kang-ho and Gang Dong-won, from left, speak about their new film "Secret Reunion" at a press event in central Seoul on Jan. 5. Provided by Showbox

Guest kdramafanusa

Source: The Korea Times 01-21-2010 14:22

'Brothers' Offers Bittersweet 'Bromance'

By Lee Hyo-won

Staff Reporter

100121_p12_brothers.jpg

In Chang Hoon's action-packed drama "Blood Brothers,'' a former National Intelligence Service agent (Song Kang-ho),left, and deserted North Korean spy (Kang Dong-won) develop an unlikely friendship in Seoul. / Courtesy of Showbox/Mediaplex

A story about North and South Korean spies called "Blood Brothers'' may initially seem like mawkish cliche capitalizing on the tragic divide of the Korean Peninsula.

But pleasantly surprising, bona fide entertainment is on offer ― an incisive observation of modern Korea that is tastefully packaged as a humorous and gripping story of a budding "bromance'' between foes.

North Korean secret agent Ji-won (Kang Dong-won) crosses the 38th Parallel on a big mission, to assassinate a comrade who has betrayed the regime. When the National Intelligence Service (NIS), led by Han-gyu (Song Kang-ho), intervenes, a shooting rampage ensues in the heart of Seoul.

Both parties suffer losses but the adept Northerner completes his assignment and escapes, while Han-gyu, having failed miserably, is fired. Ji-won, however, is suspected as having manipulated the operation and is also deserted by his agency.

Six years have passed and Han-gyu makes a living running a third-rate private eye business, catching runaway immigrant housewives rather than enemies of the state, while Ji-won leads a renegade life, all the while trying to get in touch with his squad.

The two cross paths by chance and they immediately recognize each other from the fateful incident; each believing that their own identity has not been compromised they wear smiles and start a business partnership in order to steal information from the other.

Over the course of the two-way spying however they come realize that they have much in common. But just as they start opening their hearts to each other, Pyongyang contacts Ji-won for his last mission and the duo stands at a crossroads.

Chang Hoon, the Kim Ki-duk apprentice who made a stellar directorial debut with "Rough Cut,'' solidifies his reputation: He is a gamely leading wheel in this action-tricycle, of which the rear set is fiercely propelled by the acting duo.

The film focuses on showing the human side of the two rivals, and is essentially a story about family. Han-gyu toils his pitiful job in order to support his daughter living abroad: "I lost a family-like colleague but I still have to feed my real family,'' he sighs. Likewise Ji-won desperately tries to win back the trust of his agency because he has left behind a wife and daughter in the North.

In addition to the North-South divide, "Brothers'' sheds light on other dark issues ― the cancers of a materially rich yet morally challenged society such as domestic violence, overlooked immigrant population and the traps of capitalism. But these are sown into an intriguing narrative filled with episodic humor, giving the film a light, palatable texture and a sweet, rather than bitter, aftertaste.

As described by the director, the project is indeed "an assorted gift set of Song Kang-ho-style acting'': the lead actor offers everything from physical farce to witty lines and myriad facial expressions to tickle the audience with laughter.

Kang, who is enjoying both critical acclaim and box office success with "Woochi,'' stumbles somewhat in his attempt to feign a suppressed northern dialect, but is nevertheless compelling ― twiggy physique and all ― with his piercing gaze and stolid facade.

Funnyman Go Chang-seok also peppers the film with humor in a supporting role.

In theaters Feb. 4. Distributed by Showbox/Mediaplex.

hyowlee@koreatimes.co.kr

Guest kdramafanusa

Source: The Korea Herald 2010.01.22

'Secret Reunion' goes beyond spy drama

201001210042.jpg

Early in "Secret Reunion," a clever tale of two marginalized men, middle-aged anti-spy agent Han-kyu (Song Kang-ho) ruefully complains about how the external world is "inconsistent" in driving him to the wall.

His job is to track down and arrest North Korean spies, but when one of the missions he led failed miserably, his superiors mindful of their own job security rush to put all the blame on the working-level officer. Han-kyu's half-comic and half-saddening comment about his sorry state not only showcases Song's trademark acting genius but also highlights the message of the film that deals with the inter-Korean conflict only as initial subject matter.

Han-kyu's opposite, or nemesis, is Ji-won (Kang Dong-won), an extremely handsome and intelligent North Korean spy who carries out a mission through encrypted messages sent via e-mails.

On their first encounter, both got a brief glimpse of each other without knowing they end up in an embarrassing situation six years later. After all, the center of the attention on that fateful day was placed elsewhere. A super-charged North Korean agent, whose nickname is "Shadow," executed a punishment on the turncoats, leaving several South Korean agents and innocent civilians dead in broad daylight in Seoul.

So far, typical in terms of a spy drama based on decades-old inter-Korean espionage. Fortunately for the audiences, director Jang Hoon, who scored both a critical and box office hit with the low-budget 2008 sleeper "Rough Cut," shifts gears drastically when the clock gets advanced by six years to the present when the two main characters are set to come across each other again.

Han-kyu's present life is not pretty. He lost his job as part of the restructuring efforts at the anti-spy agency, and also got divorced. He occasionally talks to his daughter on the phone and sends money to his former wife.

Han-kyu's current job is functionally the same as the old one: tracking down people. He runs a sort of private detective agency, and he charges Korean farmers for hunting down runaway Vietnamese or other foreign brides.

Ji-won's life in the South is equally disappointing. The high-profile incident six years ago was so chaotic in execution, resulting in confusion about who did what wrong. What is clear, at least for the North Korean authorities who control the spy operations against the South, is that Ji-won should take the blame, a sorry conclusion that is not dissimilar to what had happened to Han-kyu.

The two men, both ignored, sidelined and marginalized by their respective society, happen to live together for a while, each dreaming of a different outcome. The camera keeps throwing some hints about how far removed the two men are from their dreams, while interspersing funny moments with some action sequences to spice up the otherwise melodramatic mood in the second half.

Director Jang might have been tempted to crank up the socio-political criticism to a higher level, but he wisely did not opt for that obvious track. Instead, he focuses on the basic human emotions flowing from people whose social status turns into that of outsiders overnight.

Song Kang-ho masterfully delivers what he is supposed to do for the tricky character. Song's Han-kyu seems deeply world-wearied but never loses his sense of self-deprecating humor. Even when he accidentally traps himself in his own apartment, his awkward facial expression appears genuine and earnest, turning that particular scene all the more hilarious.

Kang Dong-won, who starred in the current box-office film "Jeon Woo Chi," manages to bring to life a North Korean agent whose empathy is extraordinary, but some audiences find his character a tad unrealistic due to his outstanding appearance that is not suitable for a super-secret agent.

"Secret Reunion" is scheduled to open nationwide on Feb. 4.

(insight@heraldm.com)

By Yang Sung-jin

Guest kdramafanusa

Added movie teaser 2.56 mins

cr:ayumadw81

Thanks subduing_mara. :)

Do you know when VIP premiere will be held, I haven't seen any pictures yet.

Guest subduing mara

^

I am not too sure but read from cafe if my understanding is correct, it will held on 27th and 28th Jan at CGV, a red carpet VIP premiere ;) ..Well. Let me check again or you may find the realiable source to confirm this info ^ ^

Guest subduing mara

[ChanMi's movie news] Good reviews for "Secret Reunion"

source: HanCinema

photo107258.jpg

Who said that they would not look good as costars?

The film, "Secret Reunion" is receiving good critics! The main characters, Song Kang-ho and Kang Dong-won have worked with the director, Jang Hoon who has also produced "Rough Cut".

The movie is set in the busy city of Seoul where the two have met through a curious gunfire.

Secret national agent Hangyu acted by Song Kang-ho and the espionage operator sent from North Korea acted by Kang Dong-won have been living under an alias for 6 years with a purpose.

This movie is more sentimental than anyone can think. The two character who cannot be friends become brothers and grow to understand each other.

There is comedy and action along with dramatical scenes. The atmosphese of the movie changes frequently like riding a rollercoaster through each scene and cut!

Actors that seem like they would not look good working together have brought a great cowork masterpiece!

Song Kang-ho's humor along with Kang Dong-won's putting on airs make a great combination!

Guest kdramafanusa

VIP Premiere

clip: http://etv.donga.com/view.php?idxno=201001270029576

Kim Yoon-Seok

PP10012600171.JPG

Shin Ha-Gyun

2010012621401551737_1.jpg

Jung Jae-Young

2010012621424855760_1.jpg

director Park Chan-Wook

PP10012600165.JPG

1_L_1264510566.jpg

Im Soo-Jung

PP10012600168.JPG

SG Wannabe's Kim Jin-Ho

PP10012600172.JPG

Lee Chun-Hee

PP10012600166.JPG

Lee Chun-Hee, Jung Eui-Chul, Yeo Wook-Hwan

1_L_1264511780.jpg

Oh Dal-Soo

PP10012600175.JPG

Yoo Ji-Tae & Kim Hyo-Jin

1_L_1264514566.jpg

1_L_1264510280.jpg-

1_L_1264514316.jpg

Hong Seok-Cheon

1_L_1264511062.jpg

Kim Kwang-Gu

1_L_1264510062.jpg

Hwang In-Young

1_L_1264511141.jpg

Kim Seo-Hyung

1_L_1264510171.jpg

Kim Jung-Hwa, Park Shin-Hye

1_L_1264510484.jpg

1_L_1264511641.jpg

Han Ji-Min

PP10012600177.JPG

1_L_1264510939.jpg

Min Hyo-Rin

1_L_1264510409.jpg

Im Ju-Eun

1_L_1264510744.jpg

Jang Shin-Young

1_L_1264510799.jpg

1_L_1264510647.jpg

as tagged

Guest kdramafanusa

Daily Box Office [Thursday 2010/01/28] (preliminary figures)

1. Harmony (South Korea)

Release Date : 2010/01/28

Daily Admission / Total Admission / Screen / Share : 97,530 / 103,196 / 373 / 27.4%

Director : Kang Dae-Gyu

Producer : Yoon Je-Gyun

Main Cast : Kim Yun-Jin, Na Moon-Hee, ...

2. Avatar (US)

Release Date : 2009/12/17

Daily Admission / Total Admission / Screen / Share : 95,637 / 10,721,615 / 365 / 26.9%

3. Le Grand Chef : Kimchi War (South Korea)

Release Date : 2010/01/28

Daily Admission / Total Admission / Screen / Share : 39,575 / 45,978 / 343 / 11.1%

Director : Baek Dong-Hoon

Main Cast : Kim Jung-Eun, Jin Gu

4. Jeon Woo Chi (South Korea)

Release Date : 2009/12/23

daily Admission / Total Admission / Screen / Share : 28,771 / 5,691,105 / 272 / 8.1%

Director : Choi Dong-Hoon

Cast : Kang Dong-Won, Kim Yoon-Seok, Im Soo-Jung, Yoo Hae-Jin, Baek Yoon-Shik, ...

5. Attack The Gas Station 2 (South Korea)

Release Date : 2010/01/21

daily Admission / Total Admission / Screen / Share : 22,752 / 509,720 / 263 / 6.4%

Director : Kim Sang-Jin

Cast : Ji Hyun-Woo, Jo Han-Seon, Moon Won-Joo, Jung Jae-Hoon

8. No Mercy (South Korea)

Release Date : 2010/01/07

daily Admission / Total Admission / Screen / Share : 8,506 / 1,042,515 / 168 / 2.4%

Director : Kim Hyung-Joon

Cast : Seol Kyung-Gu, Ryu Seung-Beom, Han Hye-Jin

9. Joo Moon Jin (South Korea)

http://joomoonjin.co.kr/

Release Date : 2010/01/21

daily Admission / Total Admission / Screen / Share : 5,573 / 34,860 / 40 / 1.6%

Director : Ha Myung-Joong

Cast : Kim Ki-Beom, Hwang Bo-Ra

13. Secret Reunion (South Korea)

Release Date : 2010/02/04

daily Admission / Total Admission / Screen / Share : 2,168 / 13,439 / 11 / 0.6%

Director : Jang Hoon

Cast : Song Kang-Ho, Kang Dong-Won

Source: KOBIS

[PREVIEW]

Movie "Secret Reunion"

Movie "Secret Reunion" - The terms of brotherhood

On a peaceful afternoon, several rounds of gunshots are fired in an apartment complex. As the terrified residents run out of the apartment building, two men face their twisted fate during the chaos. That day, NIS (National Intelligence Service) agent Hangyu (played by Song Kang-ho) gets kicked out of his organization for failing to accomplish his mission while North Korean spy Ji-won (played by Gang Dong-won) also gets abandoned by his home country for being a traitor. Six year pass and the two men meet again, each convinced that the other does not recognize him. The two are closer to being enemies than sworn brothers as they both dream of turning around their life again at the expense of the other. But as they start living together and look into the other person's loneliness, the mood between the two men start to change, little by little. What is worth watching in "Secret Reunion" is how the relationship between these two men change over time.

Movie Points (1-10 points)

The perfect, ideal combination of Song Kang-ho and Gang Dong-won - 8 points

59385604.jpg

Like the title "Secret Reunion" -- which reveals the film's ending in itself -- the film does not twist its plot or beat around the bush. The drama speedily proceeds to the climax where Han-gyu and Ji-won become brothers and the frequent points of humor along the way, provided by main and supporting actors, are effective. The film does not try to make viewers laugh with empty conversations or meaningless body movements. The dialogues and set-ups which reveal certain aspects -- and even their pain -- of the characters make the movie more entertaining and likeable. The confrontation scene at the apartment where Han-gyu and Ji-won first meet, the pursuit scenes or the action scenes at the construction site, were all shot clean and light. Replacing the fancy camera work and stylish camera angles, the sweaty beatings and the struggles of an NIS agent, who is about as capable as an average government worker, provide a different kind of fun than beautiful, well-made actions do.

The combination of Song Kang-ho and Gang Dong-won, who have never acted together, is also entertaining. Song Kang-ho seems relaxed enough but indubitably explodes when his emotions build up and Gang Dong-won also shows a more deep progression of emotions than he displayed in the film "WOOCHI". But viewers will clearly be divided about the film's ending, which could be called both the strength and the weakness of "Secret Reunion". The ending, which remains faithful to the rule of a commercial film, is understandable but it is also too light that it takes out the weightiness of the story between Han-gyu and Ji-won. The movie opens in theaters on February 4.

Reporter : Lee Ji-Hye seven@10asia.co.kr

Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr

source: http://10.asiae.co.kr/Articles/new_view.ht...020116014608014

12650228862010020120171.jpg

Archived