International sales: Showbox Mediaplex

Director: Jang Hun

Screenplay: Kim Ju-ho, Jang Hun, Jang Min-suk

DoP: Lee Mo-gae

Production Design: Hwang In-june

Art Director: Hwang In-june

Cast: Song Kang-ho, Gang Dong-won

Locations: Seoul / Kyungki-do

Secret Reunion (의형제; translated as sworn brothers), starring Song Kang Ho and Gang Dong Won, began filming on June 5. The film is being directed by Jang Hoon whose first project as main director was 2008’s Rough Cut (A Movie is a Movie; 영화는 영화다).

Introduction

Secret Reunion (Sworn Brothers) is set six years after a dubious gunfight took place in the heart of Seoul. Song Kang Ho plays Lee Han Kyu, who was kicked out of the National Intelligence Service. Han Kyu acts first with his body rather than his head. Gang Dong Won is playing Song Ji Won, a cool-headed and precise agent who was abandoned by North Korea. The story unfolds as the two meet but each continues to conceal his identity from the other.

Synopsis

Ji-won is a North Korean resident spy, is contacted by an agent "Shadow" and begins a mission to assassinate a traitor. Hot-tempered South Korean intelligence agent Han-gyu gets to know such plot from a liaison and attempts to prosecute "Shadow" without permission but fails. As a result Han-gyu resigns from the agency. 6 years later, Han-gyu operates an investigation agency and come across Ji-won once again. Wanting the bounty for bringing in a Ji-won, Han-gyu offers him a partnership to keep him close. Ji-won assumes that Han-gyu is still the agent and agrees to get rid of his false accusation of a traitor. As they work and live under one roof, they maintain a tight-rope tension but an unusual friendship.

Source: Newsen, mydaily, credits: Kpopculture

credit: kdramafanusa

MAIN CAST :

270992.jpgSong Kang Ho as Lee Han Kyu

278842.jpgKang Dong Won as Song Ji Won

SUPPORTING CAST :

286595.jpgYoon Hee Suk as Son Tae Sun

287280.jpgPark Hyuk Kwon as Gog Yeong Nam

lsy.jpgLee So Yoon

Official Site : http://www.song-gang.co.kr/

Related Movie Site : Daum/Naver

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest subduing mara

Amy thank you to start a thread for A Secret Reunion/ Swarn Brothers

editted Movie posters now released on 12.09.2009

389bea62a661914f0d33fa6d.jpg

3c334c10bdcebd3fb8127b6d.jpg

3faa1a51c1872f4d8435246d.jpg

8a451022e3985b6bac34de6d.jpg

a7ad390ff3a9aec837d1226d.jpg

8a6156cb308cf069f31fe76f.jpg

credit link: pucca28@popcorns

Thanks Amy for the PM and starting the thread for Sworn Brothers, especially. The thread have been added to the directory, really appreciate the highlight. Really helps. ^^

So good to see KDW (love him in 1% of Anything, simply adorable!) on the big screen and with no other than the awesome thespian Song Kang Ho-ssi. Definitely a dynamic duo! :lol:

Guest syille

Amy

Thanks for open this tread *hugs*

maybe this is gonna be most anticipated movie 2010 :P

Kamin

thanks for the pics and fancams.

he looked so fine. :wub:

• 3 months later...

2009092912300064682_123207_0.jpg

The filming finally ended on 22nd September 2009 which was took place at Incheon International Airport. "The film was completed without any incidents happened and we only took 4 months to complete it which is considered a good thing. We've been working hard on it and I hope it will turn out to be a good movie." said Kang Dong Won.

The film is targeted to be released in the first half of 2010.

source: sports.khan/sportskorea

Guest subduing mara

This movie is definitely NOT to be missed!! ... Please stay tune to early 2010!!

Kang Dong-won’s Sworn Brothers wraps filming

September 28th, 2009 // by javabeans

As a 1981-er, Kang Dong-won (Maundy Thursday) will have to enlist in his mandatory military service by the end of this year, which means that his most recent film, Sworn Brothers [의형제], will be his last. (He has another film still to come out, the fantasy-action movie Jeon Woo Chi, but that has already completed filming and will be released later this year.)

The action thriller stars Kang opposite top actor Song Kang-ho (Thirst) — and if the casting weren’t enough to grab your interest, it’s also directed by Jang Hoon, who filmed the So Ji-sub–Kang Ji-hwan action film Rough Cut. After four months of filming, Sworn Brothers finished its final shoot last week at Incheon International Airport.

In the film, Song Kang-ho is a former intelligence agent (”Han-kyu”) who was kicked out of his job six years ago following a suspicious event that unfolded in the heart of Seoul. Facing a similar situation north of the border, Kang Dong-won plays “Ji-won,” a North Korean spy who has also been cast out from his job, whose personality is described as cold on the outside, warm on the inside. The film explores the story of these two as they keep their former identities as enemies a secret from one another.

After director Jang sounded the final okay on set on its last shooting day, Song Kang-ho said, “The past summer was devoted to Sworn Brothers. I hope that audiences will enjoy our movie.” Kang Dong-won said, “Everyone worked extremely hard filming this movie. We’re fortunate to have filmed for four months safely without any accidents. I hope that the result is as strong as our efforts in shooting the film.”

Sworn Brothers now heads into post-production, and aims for an early 2010 release.

credit: javabeans

• 1 month later...
Guest kdramafanusa

Song Kang-ho movie "Brothers" to open in Feb

Reporter : Lim Hye-seon | lhsro@asiae.co.kr

기사입력 2009.11.10 12:15 최종수정 2009.11.10 12:15

2009111011030544411_1.jpg

Actor Kang Dong-won in a scene from "Sworn Brothers" [showbox]

Film "Sworn Brothers", starring top Korean actors Song Kang-ho and Kang Dong-won, will be released next February, according to the film's producer Showbox on Tuesday.

The film had received much attention for casting two of Korea's leading actors and for being directed by newcomer Jang Hoon, who received the award for Best New Director at the Young-Pyung Film Festival last year for his directorial debut "Rough Cut".

Song will play a discharged National Intelligence Service agent while Kang an abandoned secret agent from North Korea in "Brothers", about two government secret agents meeting up again, six years after they first met in a downtown shoot-out.

Song Kang-ho is one of Korea's most successful actors who has starred in a handful of hit films including "Memories of Murder", "The Host" and "Thirst", which won the Jury Prize at Cannes earlier this year.

Kang Dong-won is one of the most promising actors of the younger generation, who has appeared in several notable movies including 2006's "Our Happy Time", 2004's "Romance of Their Own" and "Too Beautiful to Lie", which co-starred Hallyu star Kim Ha-neul.

2009111011030544411_2.jpg

Actor Song Kang-ho in a scene from "Sworn Brothers" [showbox]

Reporter : Lim Hye-seon lhsro@asiae.co.kr

Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr

<ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved>

Guest kdramafanusa

The Secret Reunion

Korean - Drama - 120 mins.

8001p.jpg

Details

Company: Showbox/Mediaplex

Cast: Dong-won GANG, Gang-ho SONG

Director(s): Hun JANG

Writer(s): Hun JANG

Producer(s): Myung-chul SONG

Production Status: Post-Production

Completion Year: 2009

Synopsis

Ji-won is a North Korean resident spy, is contacted by an agent "Shadow" and begins a mission to assassinate a traitor. Hot-tempered South Korean intelligence agent Han-gyu gets to know such plot from a liaison and attempts to prosecute "Shadow" without permission but fails. As a result Han-gyu resigns from the agency. 6 years later, Han-gyu operates an investigation agency and come across Ji-won once again. Wanting the bounty for bringing in a Ji-won, Han-gyu offers him a partnership to keep him close. Ji-won assumes that Han-gyu is still the agent and agrees to get rid of his false accusation of a traitor. As they work and live under one roof, they maintain a tight-rope tension but an unusual friendship.

[The Film Catalog]

• 5 weeks later...

Can't wait to watch this film... I loved "Rough Cut", and imo Jang Hun is one of the most promising young korean Directors... Plus, with Song Kang-ho and Kang Dong-won.... can't be missed for sure ^^

Guest kdramafanusa

Source: Twitch

http://twitchfilm.net/news/2009/12/song-ka...nion-teaser.php

Trailer Alerts

Song Kang-Ho and Kang Dong-Won Team Up for 의형제 (Secret Reunion) Teaser

by X, December 9, 2009 9:12 AM

Im Pil-Sung, Jang Joon-Hwan and Na Hong-Jin might still hold the title of best debut directors of this decade, but a young up-and-comer who might fight his way up the Top 10 is certainly Jang Hoon, who helmed the excellent 영화는 영화다 (Rough Cut) in 2008. Produced by Kim Ki-Duk (whose career in this field is so far pretty impressive, much more so than anything he's directed since 2001, for instance), the film won stars So Ji-Seop and Kang Ji-Hwan a good number of awards at home and abroad, jump started "Director" Go Chang-Seok's career, and became one of the best films of last year, but Jang Hoon is still relatively unknown outside the boundaries of film geekdom.Yet, things could change with his upcoming 의형제 (Secret Reunion).

For starters, the cast. Song Kang-Ho needs no introduction and is a surefire draw, but if you consider that his co-lead Kang Dong-Won is starring in 전우치 (Woochi) and that the film is likely to draw huge numbers in December, by the time the film releases in February, the momentum could carry over to Secret Reunion and make it another big hit. Distributed by Showbox, Secret Reunion stars Song as a secret service agent who is pinkslipped after going after a North Korean spy (in the South to kill a traitor, who would be Kang) solo and failing, but when six year later said traitor reappears, the two team up to bring mutual benefit to each other: Song's Han-Gyu would catch the spy and get his credentials back, while Ji-Won would wash away the accusations which labeled him a traitor. Of course, things don't really go as smoothly as they planned. The interplay reminds a little of Jang's debut film, and it looks like Kang Dong-Won will continue choosing very promising projects like this, which can only do wonders for him as an actor. So it's February for this. Good little teaser waiting below.

Video

http://www.fliqz.com/aspx/permalink.aspx?v...ab2bc0cd7fd7f40

• 4 weeks later...
Guest kdramafanusa

[yonhap news]

Movie 'Sworn Brothers'

PYH2010010504470034400_P2.jpg

Jan. 5, SEOUL, South Korea -- The stars of the new movie "Sworn Brothers" -- Song Kang-ho (L) and Kang Dong-won ® -- along with director Jang Hoon © pose for a photo during a publicity event in Seoul on Jan. 5. The movie, which depicts a former intelligence agent who was kicked out of his job six years ago following a suspicious event that unfolded in the heart of Seoul, will be released in South Korea on Feb. 4. (Yonhap)

S. Korean actor Kang Dong-won and Song Kang-ho

PYH2010010504490034400_P2.jpg

Jan. 5, SEOUL, South Korea -- South Korean actor Kang Dong-won ® and Song Kang-ho, who star in the new movie "Sworn Brothers," pose for a photo during a publicity event in Seoul on Jan. 5. The movie, which depicts a former intelligence agent who was kicked out of his job six years ago following a suspicious event that unfolded in the heart of Seoul, will be released in South Korea on Feb. 4. (Yonhap)

PYH2010010504510034400_P2.jpg

S. Korean actor Song Kang-ho

PYH2010010504620034400_P2.jpg

Jan. 5, SEOUL, South Korea -- South Korean actor Song Kang-ho, who stars in the new movie "Sworn Brothers," poses for a photo during a publicity event in Seoul on Jan. 5. The movie, which depicts a former intelligence agent who was kicked out of his job six years ago following a suspicious event that unfolded in the heart of Seoul, will be released in South Korea on Feb. 4.

PYH2010010504600034400_P2.jpg

S. Korean actor Kang Dong-won

PYH2010010504530034400_P2.jpg

Jan. 5, SEOUL, South Korea -- South Korean actor Kang Dong-won, who stars in the new movie "Sworn Brothers," poses for a photo during a publicity event in Seoul on Jan. 5. The movie, which depicts a former intelligence agent who was kicked out of his job six years ago following a suspicious event that unfolded in the heart of Seoul, will be released in South Korea on Feb. 4. (Yonhap)

S. Korean actor Song Kang-ho and Kang Dong-won

PYH2010010504580034400_P2.jpg

Jan. 5, SEOUL, South Korea -- South Korean actor Song Kang-ho (L) and Kang Dong-won, who star in the new movie "Sworn Brothers," respond to reporters' questions during a publicity event in Seoul on Jan. 5. The movie, which depicts a former intelligence agent who was kicked out of his job six years ago following a suspicious event that unfolded in the heart of Seoul, will be released in South Korea on Feb. 4. (Yonhap)

S. Korean actor Kang Dong-won

PYH2010010504370034400_P2.jpg

Jan. 5, SEOUL, South Korea -- South Korean actor Kang Dong-won, who stars in the new movie "Sworn Brothers," responds to reporters' questions during a publicity event in Seoul on Jan. 5. The movie, which depicts a former intelligence agent who was kicked out of his job six years ago following a suspicious event that unfolded in the heart of Seoul, will be released in South Korea on Feb. 4. (Yonhap)

PYH2010010504540034400_P2.jpg

Guest subduing mara

:D

SB finally released!! A pefect timing, dont know think? It would receive more attentions from media and moviegoers while another KDW's movie, JWC is screening over the country .. I will add more pics, sorry if double post ^^'

swanpress20100105729672.jpg

swanpress3d0ecd478c1dfa.jpg

tn126266274218076297810.jpg

swanpress1001054b42be73.jpg

swanpress20100105126266.jpg

swanpressab4b62efc83a0b.jpg

swanpresseafc779688ee5b.jpg

swanpresspyh20100105031.jpg

swanpress20100105123006.jpg

swanpress20100105124518.jpg

swanpressssi20100105124.jpg

swanpress20100105113614.jpg

Mr. daddy long leg!! this pic really made my day LOL :D

swanpresstn126266202317.jpg

swan1864651.jpg

swan1864581.jpg

swan1864561.jpg

swan1864691.jpg

swan1864641.jpg

swan2010010573077201001.jpg

swan20100105134221447.jpg

Guest kdramafanusa

Gang Dong-won says envies Song Kang-ho's animal instincts

Reporter : Lee Ji-Hye | seven@10asia.co.kr

기사입력 2010.01.06 13:45 최종수정 2010.01.06 13:45

2010010612350875718_1.jpg

A former South Korean intelligence agency official and a North Korean spy sent to South Korea. In most films, such a setting would end as a tragedy or result in a clash of ideologies as was the case in films "Swiri" or "Joint Security Area (JSA)". These characters, who have been trained for the good of their country, will confront each other brutally or will have to face numerous conspiracies as was the case with the NSS agents in KBS TV series "Iris". But "Secret Reunion" is a film which seems to be set on providing a new form of enjoyment through its characters. Unlike its poster showing a resolutely determined Song Kang-ho and Gang Dong-won, a preview video revealed at a press conference for the film on Tuesday at the Plaza Hotel drew frequent bursts of laughter from the audience.

Lee Han-gyu (played by Song) who looks better as the owner of a detective agency than the national intelligence service from which he has been expelled, and North Korean spy Song Ji-won (played by Gang) who still flaunts his outstanding looks on screen despite the director's efforts to do his best to "make him not look like a model", start living together for different purposes. Lee employes Song to win a prize money given for catching spies and Song starts working at Lee's agency to make money to return to the North. Each character, both of whom have been ousted by their organizations, will try to use the other as a tool to reclaim their original positions but the wall between them starts collapsing. "Secret Reunion," which focused on the individual changes the two characters go through regardless of their different ideologies, is set for release on February 4. Below are excerpts from the press conference attended by Song, Gang and director Jang.

2010010612350875718_2.jpg

Actor Song Kang-ho [Lee Jin-hyuk/10Asia]

Q: What sort of film is "Secret Reunion"?

Jang Hun (Jang): A South Korean man in the National Intelligence Service meets with a North Korean man sent to the South as a spy. The film is about the two men who start out as enemies but change after seeing the humane sides to each other while living together.

Q: I'm curious to know why you took on this film which is Jang Hun's second only directorial pic.

Song Kang-ho (Song): I was surprised at how great of a movie he had made on such a small budget for "Rough Cut". I took on this film because I was deeply impressed by his directing skills where he expresses everything he wants to while not revealing his own sense of identity which new directors usually have a hard time concealing.

Q: Your image as actors are very different -- as different as your characters Lee Kyu-han and Song Ji-won in the film. How was it working with each other?

Song: I think Gang Dong-won is the most dazzling actor around right now. I had always thought he's a charming younger actor so I had been curious to find out what his personality was like. After working with him I found out he is sincere in many ways and quite unexpectedly, has a strong passion for his work. He smiles a lot too. So I think in those ways, he is very different how you see him on the outside. He was great in "WOOCHI" but you'll see a completely contrasting type of attractiveness in "Secret Reunion". I think this year will be his year. (laugh)

Gang Dong-won (Gang): I was very scared of Song. Not his personality but because he is such a great actor. (laugh) There were times when I would think he is terrifying. I've said this to director Jang before but Song is like a monster. He responds with animal-like instincts when he's acting which was very scary but also so great. I really learned a lot from him.

Q: Both Kim Yoon-suk from "WOOCHI" and Song are actors who drink a lot while working on films. Who made you drink more?

Gang: They are definitely not people who force you to drink. We drank about seven times a week while filming "Secret Reunion" (laugh) although never a lot. We would just talk a lot over a couple of drinks. Kim Yoon-suk would join us occasionally if I and Song were out drinking in Itaewon.

Song: Gang is young so he drinks pretty well. But he doesn't drink hardcore -- he just lasts for a long time. We usually get done early but he'll beg that we go for another round elsewhere. (laugh) But we're nothing compared to the cast and crew of "WOOCHI". They're heavy drinkers. I think Gang got trained there. (laugh)

2010010612350875718_3.jpg

Actor Gang Dong-won [Lee Jin-hyuk/10Asia]

Q: You worked consecutively with South Korea's greatest actors Kim Yoon-suk and Song Kang-ho. What were the similarities or differences you felt while acting with them?

Gang: I don't think I'm in the position to comment on that... (laugh) But I did feel this with both of them -- that I felt more comfortable when I actually go into shoot with them. I think it's because I got the feeling that they were telling me, 'Do whatever and everything you want. I can deal with it."

We heard that you have plans to enter the military this year. Will "Secret Reunion" be the last film you work on before you do?

Gang: I have plans for another movie after "Secret Reunion" is released but I can't talk about it yet.

Q: In your previous film "Rough Cut," you were evident in showing the contrast between So Ji-sub and Kang Ji-hwan's characters image-wise by using different colors -- black and white -- to portray them. Did you use such techniques in this film too?

Jang: "Rough Cut" wasn't based on realistic, daily life so I set the characters apart visually by using those contrasting colors. But I wanted to give "Secret Reunion" the feeling that it's something happening around us in everyday life. That's why visually, the two characters don't seem too different. Although in Gang's case, I put in extra effort to make sure that he doesn't look like a model.

Q: Your previous film was also about two completely different men becoming like each other as they get to know more about the other person. "Secret Reunion" is also about two men. Is there a reason you keep going with the same format?

Jang: I just somehow ended up telling a story about two men again. It's not that I'm into plots involving two men -- I took on this film because the scenario was fun. I want to work with an actress next time. (laugh)

2010010612350875718_4.jpg

Director Jang Hun [Lee Jin-hyuk/10Asia]

Q: You worked with Song and Gang who are different in terms of both acting and star quality. How was it?

Jang: I didn't know I would get to work with them for the second film. But it was easier than I had expected to cast them. They both enjoyed reading the scenario so I got lucky in getting to work with them. And while in filming, I discovered aspects to them that were different from the thoughts I originally had of them. I had thought that Song was someone who had a humane, familiar and funny appeal to him but he turned out to be extremely intellectual when it comes to working on a film. And Gang is so good-looking and seemingly quiet so I thought it would be hard to communicate with him but it turned out that he talks a lot. (laugh) He said he became more talkative after shooting "WOOCHI" so thanks to that, I think I had an easier time working with him.

Q: If you could take away a strength from the other actor, what would it be?

Gang: Song's terrifying animal instincts? (laugh)

Song: I want to say looks (laugh) but there is something more attractive to him than that. Should I call it Gang's romantic sense of humor or values? I had never expected to see such sides to him but they are beautiful sides to him I discovered while working on this film with him. It's not easy to be a actor with such thoughts or values. I was very happy to see that he is someone who lives hard-heartedly and fiercely but also stands his ground.

Q: Any last words for the audience who will watch your film?

Jang: "Secret Reunion" is based on North and South Korea's relationship but it's not a serious movie. Whether the character is from the North or the South, the story is about their humane sides so I hope you focus on that and have fun watching it.

Song: I think this film will be a admirable film which will provide another form of enjoyment to the large number of Gang's fans. (laugh) We hope you like it.

Gang: "Secret Reunion" is a film which contains a variety of entertaining elements. I think it'll be fun if you focus on that since Song put on some great acting again. (laugh)

Reporter : Lee Ji-Hye seven@10asia.co.kr

Photographer : Lee Jin-hyuk eleven@10asia.co.kr

Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr

Guest kdramafanusa

[PHOTO] Cast, director of "Secret Reunion" attend press conf

Photographer : Lee Jin-hyuk | eleven@10asia.co.kr

기사입력 2010.01.06 13:43 최종수정 2010.01.06 13:43

2010010610541458217_1.jpg

Actor Song Kang-ho and Gang Dong-won [Lee Jin-hyuk/10Asia]

From left, actors Song Kang-ho and Gang Dong-won pose during a photo session of a press conference for film "Secret Reunion" at the Plaza Hotel in Seoul, South Korea on January 5, 2009. The film is set for a release on February 4.

2010010610541458217_2.jpg

Actor Song Kang-ho, director Jung Hun and actor Gang Dong-won [Lee Jin-hyuk/10Asia]

From left, actor Song Kang-ho, director Jang Hun and actor Gang Dong-won pose during a photo session of a press conference for film "Secret Reunion" at the Plaza Hotel in Seoul, South Korea on January 5, 2009. The film is set for a release on February 4.

~

[PHOTO] Song Kang-ho poses during "Secret Reunion" press conf

기사입력 2010.01.06 13:42 최종수정 2010.01.06 13:42

2010010610523344472_1.jpg

Actor Song Kang-ho speaks during a press conference for film "Secret Reunion" at the Plaza Hotel in Seoul, South Korea on January 5, 2009. The film is set for a release on February 4.

2010010610523344472_2.jpg

Actor Song Kang-ho poses during a photo session of a press conference for film "Secret Reunion" at the Plaza Hotel in Seoul, South Korea on January 5, 2009. The film is set for a release on February 4.

~

[PHOTO] Gang Dong-won attends "Secret Reunion" press conf

기사입력 2010.01.06 13:42 최종수정 2010.01.06 13:42

2010010610450977781_1.jpg

Actor Gang Dong-won speaks during a press conference for film "Secret Reunion" at the Plaza Hotel in Seoul, South Korea on January 5, 2009. The film is set for a release on February 4.

2010010610450977781_2.jpg

Actor Gang Dong-won poses during a photo session of a press conference for film "Secret Reunion" at the Plaza Hotel in Seoul, South Korea on January 5, 2009. The film is set for a release on February 4.

Guest kdramafanusa

Source: The Korea Herald 2010.01.07

Jang explores machismo in 'Secret Reunion'

After scoring both a critical and box office hit with the low-budget 2008 sleeper "Rough Cut," writer-director Jang Hoon is back with his sophomore effort, "Secret Reunion."

With his two leading men in tow -- veteran actor Song Gang-ho and heartthrob Kang Dong-won -- he unveiled the film at a press conference in downtown central Seoul Tuesday.

"Jang is all about bravura filmmaking," Song said.

"I didn't have much prep time before the cameras started rolling on this project but because Jang Hoon was so adept at getting me to understand my character, we were able to wrap production without a hitch," Kang quickly added

Like in his debut, "Secret Reunion" is a film headlined by a tandem act that represents Song's yin to Kang's yang.

Kang, loved by legions of adolescent teenaged girls, confessed during the news conference he had been intimidated even before he shared screen time with the vaunted Song.

"Because of an overlapping schedule, I was busy filming 'Jeon Woo Chi' in the early phases of filming for this project," Kang said.

"I didn't see much of Song Gang-ho at first but through many lunch breaks, I got to know him better the more I had conversations with him and I learned so much from him," he said. "He and our director were like feral animals ... I'm not saying Song's personality was scary, it's just that he was so good I felt this is someone you don't want to mess with."

Whenever possible, the two leading men went out for drinks to break the ice, Song said.

"They didn't force anything on me," Kang said.

"We went out for drinks every day of the week in the initial stage of the production and that got us closer together."

Song joked in response, a sly grin on his face.

"If you drink with Kang, you're dead. During production whenever we went out to a get a few, we wanted to be done by ilcha (first round) but Kang kept wanting to keep drinking going to icha (second round) and samcha (third round)."

In "Secret Reunion" Jang's latest continues his fascination with the dynamics of machismo and tells the story of a disgraced Korean intelligence agent (Song) and a North Korean spy (Kang) who meet again coincidentally, six years after a shooting incident they had been involved in.

Unable to shake their need for closure, they continue where they left off and resume their cat and mouse game.

The 34-year old Jang has been on the radars of industry insiders since his debut in "Rough Cut."

The film, made on a shoe-string budget, amassed a respectable 1.3 million in ticket sales.

Many also believed he successfully brought out the inner thespian in So Ji-sub and Kang Ji-hwan -- who up until then were not known for their acting chops.

Jang has since been on the fast track.

His latest film hits theaters nationwide Feb. 4.

(kws@heraldm.com)

By Song Woong-ki

Archived