University Of Waterloo

Guest Subways

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest hikari_neko11

Question from a prospective environmental student at Waterloo:

There seem to be a lot of planners so I was wondering why you chose it and what you like/dislike about it. I want to get into Environment and Resource Studies or Planning. Anyone know what it's like? It sounds really cool.

Is an "option" a good idea? Is it hard to focus on getting a degree and diploma together?

I heard more people do regular instead of Co-op. Which is better in your opinion?

Sorry for asking so much :X my parents don't really want me to go into the environment field because they think I won't get a good enough job and stuff. I hope to convince them to let me go to UW if I show them how committed i am.

Guest o1honey

Question from a prospective environmental student at Waterloo:

There seem to be a lot of planners so I was wondering why you chose it and what you like/dislike about it. I want to get into Environment and Resource Studies or Planning. Anyone know what it's like? It sounds really cool.

Is an "option" a good idea? Is it hard to focus on getting a degree and diploma together?

I heard more people do regular instead of Co-op. Which is better in your opinion?

Sorry for asking so much :X my parents don't really want me to go into the environment field because they think I won't get a good enough job and stuff. I hope to convince them to let me go to UW if I show them how committed i am.

you could also do Environment and Business too ._. Since business is quite a reassuring term for asian parents.. hahahaha.

So programs don't offer co-op, some programs to do either co-op or not co-op, some programs have a mandatory co-op program.

For co-op, you get gain work experience related to your field of study earlier than those who don't have co-op. But FYI.. tuition fees will get more expensive and don't expect to have job offers given to you just because you have co-op. You have to find jobs just like every other person on the planet... just that we have exclusive job postings just for UW students.

For non co-op, tuition is def cheaper, you get summers off, you could potentially graduate earlier and your sequence of courses are more lenient.

All in all, your parents should not be choosing which uni you want to go in. If you like a program, apply for it! Your creating a future for yourself... not your parents :)

Guest termination_override

Is it hard to get into First Year Psychology (for BA, *not* BSc), if my average is usually around 79% and it requires high 70's? ><

Guest ilovepoo

UWD is hosting a model hunt for their fashion magazine!!! everyone should go apply!!! its a great opportuinty to try the phootshoot experience and get printed in a magazine!!!!!

there is a info session at SLC 2105B on tuesday!!!

WebPoster_updated.jpg

Guest kaydeex

How's the CS program at UW? Friend's looking for something related to programming and/or software engineering but I haven't heard much about the programming aspect of UW compared to some other fields.

o.o... you haven't heard much about it? Waterloo is good for mainly math, cs, engineering.

Guest hikari_neko11

you could also do Environment and Business too ._. Since business is quite a reassuring term for asian parents.. hahahaha.

So programs don't offer co-op, some programs to do either co-op or not co-op, some programs have a mandatory co-op program.

For co-op, you get gain work experience related to your field of study earlier than those who don't have co-op. But FYI.. tuition fees will get more expensive and don't expect to have job offers given to you just because you have co-op. You have to find jobs just like every other person on the planet... just that we have exclusive job postings just for UW students.

For non co-op, tuition is def cheaper, you get summers off, you could potentially graduate earlier and your sequence of courses are more lenient.

All in all, your parents should not be choosing which uni you want to go in. If you like a program, apply for it! Your creating a future for yourself... not your parents :)

Thanks so much for the help!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest o1honey

selling 1B AFM textbooksplease PM me if interestedMATH 109AFM 102ECON 102AND NEW CS TEXTBOOKS, ONLY SKIMMED THROUGH THEM

selling those as well!

Guest o1honey

AFM102 - MANAGERIAL ACCOUNTING 8TH CDN ED PKG

ECON102 - PRINCIPLES OF MACROECONOMICS 4TH CDN PKG

CS100 - WEB DRAGONS

- MEDIAWIKI : WIKIPEDIA & BEYOND

MATH109 - INTRODUCTORY MATHEMATICAL ANALYSIS WITH S/M PKG

*msg for prices!

Guest rabbitz

Hey I'm a 4th year CS student at UW and I can help answer some questions.

How's the CS program at UW? Friend's looking for something related to programming and/or software engineering but I haven't heard much about the programming aspect of UW compared to some other fields.

In terms of content, you will learn a bit about how computers work (starting with the physical parts like logic gates, microprocessors and so on... and then machine code, assembly, compilers etc....) and then focus on stuff like algorithms for doing different things, networks, databases, software design processes and whatever.

I find that my workload is pretty light (compared to my friends in AFM, BBA, and any of the Engineering programs). There are usually 5-8 assignments per term, 1-2 midterms and 1 final. Lower level CS courses have around 25% from assignments, 25% midterms and 50% finals. Higher level courses put more emphasis on assignments.... anywhere from 25-50% with something like a 15% midterm and 35% final. Of course, work load will vary with each prof and each course but this is the trend I've seen.

Most importantly for me, though, is that every single CS course I've taken either has complete lecture slides online or in a "course notes" booklet that you can buy meaning that you never really have to go to any lectures. This works well for me because I learn best by figuring things out myself and a lot of profs basically read from their notes and do a few example questions on the board.

Any other questions just ask =)

Can anyone give me any solid info about the Accounting an finanace Management (BAFM) program at Waterloo?

I heard Waterloo's business was pretty good as well but its not a Bachelor of Business Admin.... so I'm guessing it's a Bachelor of Accounting and Financial Management? I totally skipped Waterloo when I went to the Ontario Uni. Fair cause I wasn't gonna bother but now, I'm interested.

Someone please provide me some info about the program.

It's in arts, so does that mean it's not great as a BBA? And does that mean I can't go in the direction of becoming a CMA/CGA/CA?

How is the Co-op courses?

Is it just Co-op? Or like Regular classes + Co-op?

I can only tell you what I've heard from friends but I can give you a simple break down.

BBA -> You have classes at waterloo and wlu (wilfred laurier university) and you end up with some kind of business degree.

AFM -> This is the easiest path to take if you want to be a CA/CGA/CMA. If you work hard you have a high chance of getting a coop job at one of the big4. They usually have an info session where you can meet people and "make connections" which should give you a higher chance of getting a job.

Arts and Business -> It's a joke among AFMs that Arts and Biz is only taken by those that failed to get into AFM.

to get a good sense of what the coop program is.... imagine a normal 4 year university student. Usually, they will have 8 minimum school terms, where each term is 4 months long and a calender year is divided into fall term (sept - dec), winter term (jan - apr) and spring term (may - aug). Most people go to school during the fall term and winter term which means 8 school terms will take 4 years to finish. As for coop, pretty much the only difference is you have 6 work terms where you have to find a job and also some work term reports you have to complete.

I would recommend coop - You will get bored of summer "vacations" really fast especially when all your friends are in coop.

And for all you people taking econ 101/102.... try to get Angela Trimarchi (spelling?). Both courses have 3 MC midterms (lowest mark dropped) and 1 MC final which takes questions straight from the study guide... easily the most bird course I've ever taken.

Guest kaydeex

And for all you people taking econ 101/102.... try to get Angela Trimarchi (spelling?). Both courses have 3 MC midterms (lowest mark dropped) and 1 MC final which takes questions straight from the study guide... easily the most bird course I've ever taken.

o.O... I'm taking 102 next term and chose Maryann Vaughan since Angela Trimarchi didn't really have a lot of good ratings on ratemyprof... but maybe I'll try to switch it now xD

I'm currently in the faculty of environment.

Environmental business is really a joke a program, its more management and barely accounting whatsoever. Planning however, is pretty easy going program. Alot of Co-op jobs for that program! ERS is a good program as its basically entering earth sciences, you do end up taking biology and chemistry. It's more structured to stray away from biochemistry aspect as if you were to end up in the faculty of science.

Honestly, Planning is an okay alternative if you can't get into architecture. ERS is a good program if you're into ecosystems and minerals.

The facaulty of environment at waterloo is really great, it's growing rapidly and alot more funding has been invested. St. Pauls resident IS THE BEST REZ for first year. The most welcoming and best living for a first year student as everyone is really friendly and the dons are awesome!

Don't go to this school for business unless you get into AFM, then again i wouldnt recommend it. My best friend, 3rd year regrets going here. This university has no business school! I mean sure co-op is great here, but it's not worth it if you're not backed up with a good education from a real business school. I mean if this school has to resort sending some of your students bus to another university (wilfred laurier) with a good business school, why not just go there instead?

Guest sillybilly_me

I'm a 4th year Kinesiology student at U of W.

DO NOT take Econ 102 with Angela Trimarchi.. repeat.. DO NOT

You will regret it for SURE (like i am).

Class avg is around mid 70s.. yea i expected it to be a bird.. im getting in the 80s but if you want a course

with almost no work required, take Rec 101

Anyways,

Angelas class is mandatory as a lot of the stuff isnt in the text book (she likes to add a crapload of graphs)

There is 2 midterms (25% each) and 1 final (50%), no dropping of your lowest mark.

You'll be bored to death in class, and active listening is difficult.

Anyways,

Angelas class is mandatory as a lot of the stuff isnt in the text book (she likes to add a crapload of graphs)

There is 2 midterms (25% each) and 1 final (50%), no dropping of your lowest mark.

She also teaches econ 101, AVOID AT ALL COST. LOL who say she is easy... you basically teach yourself since you can barely intepret w/e the john tesh she's saying. I recommend going to ratemyprofs for more reviews of certain profs.

Guest rabbitz

o.O... I'm taking 102 next term and chose Maryann Vaughan since Angela Trimarchi didn't really have a lot of good ratings on ratemyprof... but maybe I'll try to switch it now xD

Hm actually maybe you should listen to some other members.... I took her class a few years ago so it might be a bit different now.

Don't go to this school for business unless you get into AFM, then again i wouldnt recommend it. My best friend, 3rd year regrets going here. This university has no business school! I mean sure co-op is great here, but it's not worth it if you're not backed up with a good education from a real business school. I mean if this school has to resort sending some of your students bus to another university (wilfred laurier) with a good business school, why not just go there instead?

AFM is for accounting.... I don't know many people that JUST go to Laurier for business but I do know a few that are doing double degrees with classes at both WLU and UW. I did bu111, bu121 and bu231 at Laurier and I just have to say that they are among the easiest courses I've ever taken... I guess Laurier has a lower "standard". Anyways if you can get into UW and take Business at Laurier, why not?

I'm a 4th year Kinesiology student at U of W.

DO NOT take Econ 102 with Angela Trimarchi.. repeat.. DO NOT

You will regret it for SURE (like i am).

Class avg is around mid 70s.. yea i expected it to be a bird.. im getting in the 80s but if you want a course

with almost no work required, take Rec 101

Anyways,

When I did it, every single exam question was off the study guide. I did not attend a single econ 101 or 102 lecture and I did pretty well. Maybe I just do better with multiple choice questions....

She also teaches econ 101, AVOID AT ALL COST. LOL who say she is easy... you basically teach yourself since you can barely intepret w/e the john tesh she's saying. I recommend going to ratemyprofs for more reviews of certain profs.

I meant her midterms/exams are easy. Never went to a single one of her classes so I can't comment on how well she teaches. Anyways if you plan on learning then I guess go with another teacher. I just took econ to fulfill my elective depth requirements and econ 344 is the biggest joke of a class that I've ever been to.

Archived