[upcoming][japanese Movie 2010] Ningen Shikkaku- No Longer Human

Starring: Ikuta Toma
Hopefully nobody made a topic for this yet but if they did please do tell me

Ikuta leads adaptation of Dazai's "No Longer Human"

Popular young actor Toma Ikuta (24) will star in a new movie directed by Genjiro Arato, the producer responsible for the award-winning "Zigeunerweisen" in 1980. The film is "Ningen Shikkaku," based on the Osamu Dazai novel of the same name. Also known in English as "No Longer Human," the book is generally considered to be Dazai's greatest masterpiece.

Ikuta has recently had major roles in several television series, but this role will actually be his first time appearing in a movie. Published in 1948, the semi-autobiographical "Ningen Shikkaku" was Dazai's last completed work before he successfully committed suicide. Despite selling millions of copies, the story has never been adapted to screen. However, this year is the 100th anniversary of Dazai's birth, prompting the decision to create a movie.

Filming starts in July, with a release projected for spring 2010.

tokyograph

• 1 month later...

The actor Ikuta Toma (24), along with actress Terajima Shinobu (36) and others, attended the press announcement of the upcoming movie ‘人間失格 / No Longer Human’ (scheduled to premiere in January 2010) in Tokyo. ‘No Longer Human’ is originally a novel written by Dazai Osamu, and largely considered to be his masterpiece. The main character is Oba Yozo, a man that is plagued by self-consciousness and cannot socialize with other people. He turns to binge-drinking and womanizing, and gradually ruins himself.

This will be Ikuta’s debut film and naturally will be his first ever lead role in a movie. He commented, “I’m extremely honored to appear in an important film commemorating the 100th anniversary of Dazai’s birth.” He showed a lot of enthusiasm towards the upcoming filming. “I will let the director and the novel control me and try to gradually lose my mind [like the main character].” Asked about his co-stars such as Terajima and the actress Mita Yoshiko (67), he seemed eager about working with them. “I’m really excited and a little nervous. I want to learn a lot from them.”

music japan

Guest miki_chan

Thats awesome for him. I havn't seen him in a drama or anything for so long.

It seems like some emotional kind of movie.

I look forward to it. (:

Guest Khikarugal

I loved the old Ningen Shikaku drama with Domoto Koichi and Domoto Tsuyoshi. It was really sad. Surprised there's going to be a movie! :lol:

Guest mayadee666

Wow, congratz to Toma-kun. It's his debut for the movie, isn't it? Recently he's being developed to a higher level as an actor. Not that I'm complaining about his latest lack development singing carrier but I'm really happy that he's given the perfect opportunity to improve his acting skills which is definitely amazing. *I love all of his characters in the J-dramas*

Can somebody kindly told me what kind of Movie is all about? since I don't know anything about the novel nor the novelist. thanks in advance.

Guest lilmariah35

Wow, congratz to Toma-kun. It's his debut for the movie, isn't it? Recently he's being developed to a higher level as an actor. Not that I'm complaining about his latest lack development singing carrier but I'm really happy that he's given the perfect opportunity to improve his acting skills which is definitely amazing. *I love all of his characters in the J-dramas*

Can somebody kindly told me what kind of Movie is all about? since I don't know anything about the novel nor the novelist. thanks in advance.

I only found the novel's wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Longer_Human

I'll try to watch the drama with Kinki Kids (sounds like a spin-off) or read the manga ^^

Guest unknown.

This is so exciting! Good for Toma! He's a great actor IMO. I loved him in Hana Kimi.

Still haven't watched Majou Saiban though.

Looking forward to this. I know he'll do a great job :)

Guest haneul_norae

good to hear that Toma's career is beginning to skyrocket..

goodluck Toma-kun.. i'll be supporting you..

ganbatte ne!!

• 1 month later...

Satomi Ishihara plays Toma Ikuta's wife in "No Longer Human"

8ycl5h.jpg

Satomi Ishihara (22) has been cast in Genjiro Arato's "Ningen Shikkaku," based on the Osamu Dazai novel of the same name, also known as "No Longer Human." In May, it was announced that Toma Ikuta (24) had been given the starring role.

"Ningen Shikkaku" was the most autobiographical of Dazai's works, and his last before committing suicide. Ikuta plays a young man unable to truly connect with others, keeping up a jovial facade as his life spirals toward self-destruction. Ishihara plays one of the several women in his life, and the only one he marries.

The movie is scheduled for a 2010 release.

Credits: Tokyograph

Scan: khmere-smily @AF

-She plays as one of Toma's friends in the drama VOICE starring also Eita, Endo Yuya

Official website of the movie: http://www.ns-movie.jp/

Guest syouri

YAY!! for toma for his first movie.

the filming start july? so does it means we going to hear more soon? like behind the scene or some ng or promo?

thanks lilmariah35 for wiki link

i need some serious reading to do :)

Guest sungified

I loved the old Ningen Shikaku drama with Domoto Koichi and Domoto Tsuyoshi. It was really sad. Surprised there's going to be a movie! :lol:

I want to finish this drama too. But no one ever got to finish subbing it. The subbers only got up to episode 4 and it has been years since they started subbing this drama. We're all trying our best to wait for the subtitles, but I have a feeling it will probably take another year for the next one to come out. -_-''

But yeah, the drama was good. I watched it without subtitles since I couldn't wait any longer. The ending got to me. It wasn't something I expected a Japanese drama would be. It's far darker than most dramas and that was what got me interested. Also, I love Kinki Kids so :D .

I cannot wait to watch the movie. I bet it'll be just as good as the drama.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest lilmariah35

Thanks Immortal_Angel for sharing that scan. Yay, a new het!OTP ^^V They look great together.

~~~

I found 2 pics of "Ningen Shikkaku" on V6's LJ comm. (v6_unlimited)

They are HUGE XD

v6ningenshikakku01.jpg

I love Toma with long hair <33

v6ningenshikakku02k.jpg

Btw, what character will Morita Go portray ? O_O

Archived