Tennis

Guest supa'Wanki

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest StealthGnome
So, Hewitt & Federer. That'll be one of the more exciting matches.

What time? What time?

Ivanovic vs Zheng

Zheng won first set. 6-1

Ivanovic can't take the pressure as #1. I miss Henin. Goddess of tennis.

Edit: 5-3 Zheng up and someone in the crowd yells JIA YOU! LOL Go Chinese! The commentators were talking about how Zheng never beat a top 10 player.

Edit2: 5-4 Zheng to serve to end it.

Edit3: 6-1, 6-4 Zheng! 加油! No nerves in the last game. Ivanovic couldn't pull it off.

Guest crystal_t33rs

^ OH ME TOO! I miss Henin. Everything seems so boring without her. Ugh.

ZOMG. Hewitt-Federer match! That's def. going to be an awesome match. I can't really tell who's going to come out of that one alive. Hewitt seems to be playing really well, looking at the scores, and Fed still seems to be trying to adjust more fully.

TMF FTW ANYWAY XD

Serena won! I knew it! Yeah~

Kuzzy's on to next round too :)

Guest StealthGnome

Meresmo should either fully recover or retire. I hate watching her play and then break down. Egh.

I'm rooting for Federer. Hewitt as a past #1 has a chance. Oh man! 2008 is a crazy year.

Guest wonderbang

And Ivanovic is dooooooown.......I think she's the fourth women's top seed to go down before the quarters of Wimbledon. Never got into the match and looked really unsettled. She didn't seem to disappointed in her presser....guess she kinda expected it with her level of play (or lack thereof)....not going to nag on it too much since the recent transition to Grand Slam champ and number 1 must have been nerve-wracking.

Hewitt and Federer is a definite fourth round highlight. Most people were anticipating since the draw came out. Interesting tidbit: this is the first tournament in a LONG time in which Federer could potentially lose his number one ranking. If he loses to Hewitt and Nadal goes on to win the whole thing, then Nadal finally topples TMF. But of course that's highly unlikely for me but an interesting (and scary) thought nonetheless.

Guest prelude
Djokovic and good sportsmanship? *bites tongue*

Sure he loses graciously, but he's a 'sore winner'. note how he's been trying to get under Federer's skin all year with his rhetoric, maybe it would help if he let his racquet do the talking instead, because he's obviously capable. That loss will do him some good.

Sure, Djokovic may be cocky, but aren't they all? Didn't Nadal just comment how Gulbis "doesn't have as much respect for the top seeds"? - 'the top seeds' meaning himself and Federer. I think all athletes have a level of cockiness and it's excusable. After all, a guy can't go into a round with low self-esteem. He has to go in believing that he can beat his opponent. So when they asked Djokovic if he could beat Federer, like any other guy would, he said 'yes.' What's so wrong about wanting to raise the ranks? And anyway, Federer's response wasn't all-too-modest either.

Sorry, I don't mean to sound as defensive as I probably do, but I just don't think Djokovic should be denounced for "being cocky," especially when people like Roddick are much worse. Plus, Djokovic applauds his opponents for good shots, and I respect him for that.

Have you noticed that when Sharapova wears nice outfits, she doesn't do well? The girl who beat her... K????a commented that she didn't like Sharapova's tux jacket and shorts outfit. I personally liked it; it fit perfectly with the 'noble/sophisticated' Wimbledon theme. Too bad she lost - just like she lost in fourth round to Radwanska in the US Open 2007 in her pretty red dress with Swarovski crystals embedded in it.

Here it is!

b_0828_057_Sharapova.jpg

I don't mind Venus defending her title, but I don't want Serena to win. I actually don't think she thinks too much about strategies, and she isn't very quick on her feet.

The round against Mauresmo was boring... I kind of knew Serena would win - Mauresmo seemed defeated after Serena's first set win.

HOLY. Another top seed out! Man, I liked Ivanovic, but Zheng Jie had the upper hand in the match. Woot Chinese person! :) 加油! I hope she gets far. She really kept her cool.

Guest wonderbang
I don't mind Venus defending her title, but I don't want Serena to win. I actually don't think she thinks too much about strategies, and she isn't very quick on her feet.

The round against Mauresmo was boring... I kind of knew Serena would win - Mauresmo seemed defeated after Serena's first set win.

Well I think you can pretty much say that for 90% of the WTA players including a lot of the top players. The "strategy" for most is just to be the one dictating play.....

Anyhow, does anyone here pay attention to the doubles at all? I'm thinking probably not unless you're a hardcore tennis fan (like me ha! lol) and likes to know about all of the things happening. :D

Guest dOotsiez

Aww thanks wonderbang for that pic of good old Rusty. Unfortunately my loyalty to him extends only to 4th round, where he meets Rogi of Cardi. :wub: One of my goals is to make Wimbledon as well. I was talking to a friend of mine a few days ago, and happened to mention Wimbledon, and she told me that she's been there. I asked what match, and she replied in the most casual off-handed way 'oh, you know, the final between Federer and Nadal last year'. Me = silently implodes with jealousy. :fury:

Not on the Ivanovic-bandwagon here, her second round win was such a fluke, so I'm happy she got knocked out. As for Masha, something's fishy with her. To drop from her AO level to her current level is just bizarre. Just goes to show that 'cupcake draws' are overrated. All the top seeds with the easiest draws - Sharapova, Ivanovic, Djokovic, and Roddick - are out.

It's strange that Jankovic has kind of slipped under the radar. My local wimbledon coverage hasn't played a single one of her matches yet, but saw some highlights of her last round against Navarro, very solid. Fingers crossed as I think she's due for a slam soon, and hopefully it happens here. Having said all that, the WTA tour is mind-numbingly bad these days, bring back the Graffs, Seles's, or Navratilovas please!

Re Djokovic, some people call it cockiness, for others, his behaviour over the last year or so crossed the line. I'm impressed by his tennis, but find him lacking the heart of a champion. Roddick and Nadal, despite their antics on and off court, are very humble sportsmen. But I guess that's just a difference of opinion.

I'd be very surprised if Hewitt manages to upset Federer, but with his type of mental tenacity, it could be a long match. Mr. Rogi of Cardi hasn't dropped a set yet though, so definitely looking good so far. Can you tell I dig the cardi?

EDIT/ looked at other sections of the draw, and noticed that Verdasco has sent Berdych packing. He lost Nottingham VERY narrow to Karlovic. Go 'Hot Sauce'!

Guest loveprint

^

I love to cardi, too. :D

Not on the Ivanovic-bandwagon here, her second round win was such a fluke, so I'm happy she got knocked out.
Exactly how I feel. I wanted to stay up to watch her play Zhang Jie but I had work in the morning so. D: I was pleasantly surprised when I checked out the scores this morning.

I want to watch Rafa's match against Kiefer tonight but I won't be able to catch it cause D:! work again.

Guest dOotsiez

Kiefer seems to be making one last comeback but I highly doubt he'll be able to fend off Rafa, he might take a set though, unless Rafa does a Djokovic, which won't happen because he's Rafa :) I probably won't watch it, need my beauty sleep after a few 4AM tennis days.

Guest dOotsiez

I was a bit worried about Jankovic against Wosniacki. From what I've seen of that girl, she's a real dark horse, and she's young enough to make a good run into the top 10 imo. One to watch this year, but happy that Jankovic got through. She needs to make the QFs for a good shot at becoming the no 1.

Saw this excerpt from her presser, hehee she's grown on me, Jankovic. The girl's got spunk.

Q: Is this match a classic example of a veteran player knowing how to beat—

JJ: You’re calling me a veteran? I’m a veteran at 23? Thanks for making me feel very old

Q: Is it a classic case of a veteran player—

JJ: Oh my God, he keeps continuing with the veteran. I don’t feel good at the moment [laughter].”

:D

booo to no play on sunday, this is the 21st century for god sakes.

Guest joyeux

I have a final on Monday, but all I'll be thinking about during it is the Hewitt-Federer match... This is not good at all! LOL. And of course Nadal won today - no surprise there. There were no suprise wins or losses today, I think. GAH, I can't wait for Monday! I feel Monday's draw is so much more intense than the other. ^^;

Guest dOotsiez

Monday will be fantastic. All the attention will be on Federer v Hewitt, but what about Safin v Wawrinka? Neither of them likes grass, and I'm watching out for Stan. Verdasco and Ancic? Verdasco deceives us all with being Spanish, but he's not a clay courter.

Gasquet v Murray: Beautiful tennis is expected, love that backhand of Gasquet's. but both these plays are prone to mental implosions.

Nadal and Youzhny next round should be interesting too. The last time they met on a hard court, Youzhny won by a score of 6-0, 6-1. And I think he took Nadal to 5 sets last wimbledon. But Youzhny, if anything, is also known for his mental implosions, remember Miami? :lol: Round 4 is looking very promising indeed.

Guest dOotsiez

^ As a very wise lady by the name of Billie Jean King used to say - 'pressure is privilege'.

But you're right, in many ways, this is the match that I'm most excited about, mainly because I usually draw parallels between the two. Not sure who's the better player though, they're both capable of playing the most ballet-like tennis, but continue to have ugly implosions and meltdowns.

Hewitt v Federer is more about how many sets Federer will conceded. Hewitt hasn't won a match against Federer since Davis Cup 2003. Having said that, given what Marat Safin did in R2, you never know.

Anyway, just popped in to say hi before I go off on my ski trip, you all enjoy the tennis, unfortunately I might miss the entire week, craziness of Kiwi land. :tears: saaaddddd.

Wonderbang: if you're still missing the Wimbledon coverage - t3nnis.tv is your friend :)

Guest aeroshaastranger :)

i missed the games!

but i'm so glad TIPSAREVIC won!!

haha was rooting for him!!

but somehow he has this weird pattern of being able to beat seeded players but not lowly ranked players!!

Regarding djerks cockiness.

the diff is : nadal and fed do not show their cockiness unlike djerk... and also because he says things that is sometimes unnecessary. no offense to anyone but djerk's attitude is just not for me.

yes, he has improved by recognizing his opponent's great shot making but still the words that come out from his mouth....

anyway, VAMOS RAFA (:

gasquet and murray - the game is gonna be interesting!

so is hewitt & fed! - eh is hewitt playing well?

Guest wonderbang
^ As a very wise lady by the name of Billie Jean King used to say - 'pressure is privilege'.

But you're right, in many ways, this is the match that I'm most excited about, mainly because I usually draw parallels between the two. Not sure who's the better player though, they're both capable of playing the most ballet-like tennis, but continue to have ugly implosions and meltdowns.

Hewitt v Federer is more about how many sets Federer will conceded. Hewitt hasn't won a match against Federer since Davis Cup 2003. Having said that, given what Marat Safin did in R2, you never know.

Anyway, just popped in to say hi before I go off on my ski trip, you all enjoy the tennis, unfortunately I might miss the entire week, craziness of Kiwi land. :tears: saaaddddd.

Wonderbang: if you're still missing the Wimbledon coverage - t3nnis.tv is your friend :)

I loved that quotation the first time I heard it too. :)

Enjoy your ski trip....thanks for the link! ;)

Guest loveprint

Jankovic has gone down. x: And wow, go Zheng Jie.

Watching the Hewitt Federer match now.

Edit; It's so depressing talking to my friends that watch Tennis. They all seem to hate Federer. And I mean hate.

So, it's over. Not the match I was hoping for, but it was nice to watch it on my new HD TV I got today. xD

Archived