Cha Seung-Won 차승원 [Upcoming Movies: “Believer 2”, “Tyrant”, “ War and Revolt”]

Helena

hi everyone, im captivated by csw and i like it!

i fell in love with him watching cityhall and its been crazy eversince.

tall dark handsome and funny too! since cityhall ive watched ghosthouse

which was hilarious, goofy but in a lol way, watched big scene too i liked it

except for the last part sowie, but it shows how good an actor he is whatever

genre he does it real well. next will be my son and jailbreakers? ive watched his

f.o. guesting too and he is so yumyum :)

im sorry girls i am not as good with words as most of you are but i think you

get my point that im hooked right? :) i commend you because you are brilliant

with your words and you express your thoughts as i would want to express them :)

thanks for sharing your infos on csw...more please :)

Guest MissRetta

This man is so handsome. He is also a fanastic actor! I have watched City Hall

and he just blew me away...Less is more..and he knows how to do it..

such emotion with in that masculine,sexy face...and his eyes....wow...

I can see why he is such an excellent actor....looking at the model shoots

you can feel him....such manly sensualness...

ok...I will stop. I am a fangirl ! lol Cha Seung Won has a new fan here..

I look forward to checking out his previous roles and look forward to those

in the future....sure would like to see him and Kim Sun Ah in another piece..

they are fire together...

Is there a fan club I can join? one with english translation...

SMile

To everyone here in CSW forum and of course to all City Hallers - CSW looks so "delicious" in all his latest photos. Regardless of the attire, be it a 3-piece suit, a plain shirt or even bare chested, he really looks so so good! Dressed or undressed, he can make any other actor pale in comparison. IMO, his acting is really up up there that I bet those who will be with him in his forthcoming drama must already be thinking how to even close to him in the scenes they will be together. CSW is always intense in the way he deliver his lines and act the scene. Thanks for sharing the photos. Hope to see him next time with KSA by his side! :rolleyes:

Guest kdramafanusa

The Korea Times 11-26-2009 16:33

Yoon’s 'Secret' Provides Fresh Thrills

By Lee Hyo-won

Staff Reporter

0911126_p10_yoon.jpg

Cha Seung-won stars in Yoon Jae-gu's thriller "Secret'' as a detective who tries to conceal, rather than uncover, clues when he finds traces of his wife at a crime scene. / Courtesy of CJ Entertainment

There's no such thing as a secret, especially a big bad one, that's bound to come out in the end and slap you in the face. Mix in some Agatha Christie-style suspense, and you get an unconventional whodunit film where the detective is trying to cover-up clues rather than find them.

Yoon Jae-gu, who penned the script for Won Shin-yeon's 2007 hit thriller "Seven Days'' starring "Lost'' actress Kim Yun-jin, grabbed the megaphone this time for his second thriller "Secret.''

The writer-director humbly said he would be happy if "Secret'' does as well as "Seven Days,'' which was sold to American buyers for a record price at the time among local thrillers. And he's right.

The new film also offers heart-thumping thrills and a shockingly unexpected finale; though it is not as uniquely visionary as "Seven Days,'' and at times pays more attention to cinematography. But it still manages to provide an edge-of-the-seat experience with fine details and intriguing characters.

The movie absorbs the viewer like a mystery novel from the opening scene, intensifying the intrigue by confounding facts and figures.

Detective Seong-ryeol (Cha Seung-won) finds himself in a great predicament when he spots traces of his wife Ji-yeon (Song Yun-a) at a homicide scene. But he immediately starts covering up the evidence, despite being someone who does things by the book; he had his good buddy-and-colleague Choi suspended from duty for two years by reporting a pretty understandable misdemeanor. (To add to the thrills of Seong-ryeol's quest to furtively hide evidence such as his wife's blouse button, Choi, recently back on the job, is naturally out for revenge.)

To complicate matters, the murder victim turns out to be none other than the brother of a powerful gang boss by the name of Jackal (Ryu Seung-ryong), who is more eager than the police to catch the killer. Seok-jun (Kim In-kwon) emerges as a suspect but Seong-ryeol still has his doubts about his wife. And it doesn't help that Ji-yeon refuses to tell him anything.

Seong-ryeol and Ji-yeon, a musician, seem like a glamorous yuppie couple with their good looks, expensive wardrobe and marble-floored flat. (Here however, you may become rather sidetracked as the 1.88-meter-tall former model plays the highly atypical detective ― perhaps Seung-ryol has inherited a sizable trust fund because, unlike the other disheveled workaholic types toiling on a puny salary, he looks like he has stepped out of a fashion magazine).

"Secret'' is essentially about an estranged couple dealing with the loss of their child. The distance between them can also be traced back to the fact that Seong-ryeol had an affair with Ji-yeon's best friend, but our protagonist still clearly loves his wife enough to compromise his professional integrity.

At work there's cause for more migraines, though Seong-ryeol never seems to lose his sense of style on the brink of a meltdown, as the charismatic Jackal comes in to give him a lesson about knifing people to explain why Seok-jun isn't the prime suspect.

Meanwhile, footage from a security camera is about to give away the fact that Ji-yeon had been at the crime scene, and an anonymous caller who seems to know a big secret starts blackmailing Seong-ryeol.

The film can be relished in full by appreciating the details, such as the colorful characters.

Cha, despite his unnaturally perfect coif, is compelling, while Song plays her role with crafty restraint. The fiercely talented Ryu as Jackal perfects anything that goes amiss in the movie. Korean cinema has seen its fair share of idiosyncratic gangster personas but Ryu's grip on his character suggests that there's always room for more.

In theaters Dec. 3. Distributed by CJ Entertainment.

hyowlee@koreatimes.co.kr

Guest kdramafanusa

CJ Entertainment updated its Secret page.

ORIGINAL LANGUAGE: Korean

OPENING DATE: 2009-12-03

DIRECTOR: YOON Jae-gu

ORIGINAL TITLE: Secret

COUNTRY OF PRODUCTION: Korea

YEAR OF PRODUCTION: 2009

GENRE: Thriller

RUNNING TIME: 110 min.

LENGTH: 9900 ft

SCREEN RATIO: 2.35:1

SOUND: Dolby SRD

ACTOR: CHA Seung-won, SONG Yun-a

~~~~~

Secret

MOVIE OVERVIEW

PROLOGUE

English Subbed Trailer: http://cjent.co.kr/upload/eng/secret.WMV

Presented by CJ Entertainment

Produced by CJ Entertainment / JK Film / Greenfish Pictures

Distributed by CJ Entertainment

CHA Seung-won SONG Yun-a

YOON Jae-gu

December 3, 2009

Thriller, 35mm, 2.35:1, Color, Dolby SRD

SYNOPSIS

Sung-ryeol is a detective in charge of violent crimes. He is an upright man, but is having an affair with his colleagues wife, and it is the reason he loses his own son in a car accident. Wracked with guilt but unable to explain to his wife, Ji-yeon, what happened on that day and why, he loses her in her grief when she decides to go abroad. Ji-yeon comes home unexpectedly and insecurely one day, peaking Sung-ryeols curiosity about his wifes behavior. The next day, Sung-ryeol finds trace evidence that hints at his wife while investigating a murder scene. He presumes that his wife is connected to the case, and does all he can to keep her from being identified as a suspect. When an unidentified man shows up claiming to know Ji-yeon is involved and asking for money, the situation is made worse by Ji-yeon refusing to offer Sung-ryeol an explanation or tell him any kind of truth.

PRODUCTION NOTE

CAST & CHARACTERS

CHA%20Seung-won.jpgCHA Seung-won as Detective Kim

Having started off as a comic actor, CHA covered a wide spectrum of characters in films such as Blood Rain, Murder, Take One, My Son and Eye for an Eye among others. He transforms himself once again, as a detective caught in a dilemma of carrying out his duties as a detective and trying to save his wife as a husband.

Selected Filmography

2008 EYE FOR AN EYE

2007 MY SON, SMALL TOWN RIVALS

2006 SOMEWHERE OVER THE BORDER

2005 MURDER TAKE ONE, BLOOD RAIN

SONG%20Yoon-a.jpgSONG Yoon-a as Ji-yeon

SONG Yoon-a has secured her place as one of the most representative actress of Korea for her gentle and feminine beauty. After several years of working in television, she returns to the big screen with a character of a murder suspect. Ji-yeon, the character she plays in the film holds a secret from her detective husband.

Selected Filmography

2009 WEDDING DRESS

2006 ARANG, LOST IN LOVE

2004 FACE

2002 JAIL BREAKERS

DIRECTOR

YOON%20Jae-gu.jpgYOON Jae-gu

With a solid plot, tension and twist, the screenplay of 7Days was sold to US for a record-breaking price, following the films commercial success in Korea. Secret is the second thriller by the highly acclaimed screenwriter of 7Days. This time he is not only behind the elaborately structured screenplay but places himself in the directors chair. YOON created yet another gripping thriller with the help of Koreas thriller dream team, that is guaranteed to provide a breathtaking cinematic experience.

CREDIT

[Copyright@ 2007 CJ Entertainment All rights reserved.]

Guest kdramafanusa

JoongAng Daily

Thriller lays bare the secrets that we keep

November 27, 2009

26210151.jpg

Director Yoon Jae-gu and actors Park Won-sang, Cha Seung-won, Song Yoon-a, Ryu Seung-ryong and Kim In-kwon, from left, speak about the upcoming movie Secret at a press event held last week at CGV Wangsimni in eastern Seoul. Provided by the organizer

Secret, a Korean thriller that will be released next week, is already drawing attention for the fact that it was written and directed by Yoon Jae-gu, who wrote the script for the 2007 movie Seven Days.

The film is the screenwriters directorial debut, and the second in what is to be a four-part series revolving around the theme of saving. Seven Days, the first film in the series, received good reviews from critics and audiences and drew over 2 million viewers nationwide.

Seven Days, which tells the story of a mother who saves her child from kidnapping, was the first in a four-part series under the theme of saving that Ive had on my mind, Yoon said at a press event in Seoul last week. Secret, which tells the story of a husband trying to save his wife in extreme circumstances, is the second in the series, while the third and fourth films in the series will deal with saving friends and saving the earth.

Yoon noted, however, that the audience will be more likely sympathize with the first two films, which both involve a protagonist saving a family member, because it is a misfortune that could happen to anybody.

26210202.jpg

Secret revolves around a murder case in which the brother of a notorious gang leader is found after having been brutally killed. In his investigation of the crime scene, Detective Seong-yeol (Cha Seung-won) finds evidence indicating that his wife, Ji-yeon, (Song Yoon-a) is involved in the murder.

With the gang and police chasing after the killer, Seong-yeol tries to protect his wife, taking actions that conflict with his duty as the detective in charge of the case. In the process of searching for the truth, however, Seong-yeol finds himself in unexpected situations and discovers long-held secrets.

I always think that a well-made movie comes from a well-written script, Cha, who plays Seong-yeol, said. Secret has such an in-depth script that Im confident it will be a first-rate movie.

Song, who plays the detectives wife, shares Chas opinion. I think Secret is a very cinematic movie with a superb screenplay. It was a difficult task to express myself within such a well-made frame, but it was a great experience, said Song.

Yoon underlined that although there are similarities between Seven Days and Secret, the two thrillers are different in terms of the complexity of the plot.

While Seven Days was a thriller with a rather simple plot involving two parties - a kidnapper and the mother of the kidnapped child - Secret has a more complicated plot involving a detective who finds evidence of his wife at a crime scene and there are five other people wrapped up in the case, Yoon said. Each character has their own hidden cards to play, and only when all of the cards are assembled is the truth unveiled and the story complete.

Actor Ryu Seung-ryong, who plays the villain Jaekal in the movie, shared his impressions of the film. What I found impressive about this movie is the way it shows how people who are close, like a couple, for example, get to know each other better. What rings in my heart is not a particular scene or line, but the way the plot highlights the tug of war people go through when they are getting to know each other and how they come to understand what they mean to each other.

Secret hits local theaters on Dec. 3.

By Park Sun-young [spark0320@joongang.co.kr]

thanks for all the photos!

he is one delicious hunk! :) but i noticed

that he is thinner? or maybe just

the angles taken? he is probably working too much....

or maybe needs a big hug from me and then some...

hehe peace! :D he looks tired but that soulful eyes of

his just gets to me...so beautiful...*dreamland again*

oh, i love his hands, clean and neat, did i say clean and neat? :)

love other parts of his bod too :) omg, snap snap!

Guest swtlive

i am so bad! i don't even notice his co star for the movie in the last few pics. he is crazy hot! lol

my bf has a similar face to csw and i made him grow out his facial hair just to see if it will look more like csw. halfway through growing it out. he got really annoyed with the facial hair and shaved it all off! grrrrrr. he said it takes too much grooming to make it look like that and thinks im crazy but puts up with it. ^_^