Jang Dong Gun 장동건

Admin

Guest iluvugudbye

at last! my first time posting here. time to give this thread some love. just wanna share this short interview of JDG by Korean Cinema Today. blush.gif

pDIkjVGdwshEGVqzsUFq.jpg

After starring in Korea’s biggest budget war movie of all  time, actor JANG Dong-gun met with Korean Cinema Today’s LEE Hwa-jung to  talk about his work.    

Based on a true story, <My Way> is about the unbelievable  journey of a Korean man who was drafted by the Japanese army during  World War II. He was captured by the Russians and put in a labor camp,  then became a soldier in the German army, and finally was captured by  the US army in Normandy. A record of the spectacular struggle of an  individual in history, director KANG Je-kyu’s latest action dramastars  Jang Dong-gun in the role of Jun-shik, a young marathoner who just wants  to get back home.  

KCT: Watching the film, it looked like the shooting must have been an ordeal.What was it like?

Jang: Even when a shoot is strenuous, when I  check out the monitor and see the camera on me, it gives me strength.  (Laughs.)When they took full shots and I could hardly be seen, the  energy would drain even more. I knew what I was getting myself into, but  the hardest part about this film was fighting the cold. It was the  worst when we were shooting the first battle scene. Later on, we wore  thick military uniforms for real winter scenes, but at first we had to  wear thin summer uniforms.   

KCT: This is your second film with director Kang Je-kyu. (The first was 2004’s <Taegukgi>).

Jang: When I heard that director Kang was  producing this film, I told him, “I’ll do it if you direct.” The trust I  have in him came before the character or thefilm itself. It’s good that  he knows and is familiar with my strengths, but if you put it another  way, the director might not find any of my ways of expression fresh.  Director Kang Je-kyu and I kept in touch steadily after our previous  film together and we have personal trust between us. But when we worked  on <My Way> he felt like a completely different person on set.     

KCT: Jun-shikclings on to his beliefs throughout the fire  of World War II. Looking at the dynamics of his character, he could be  seen as a rather unrealistic person.

Jang: It’s difficult not to compare this film  to <Taegukgi>. While <Taegukgi> followed a storyline focused  on brotherhood, <My Way> concentrates on these characters in this  epochal situation of war. When we were shooting, I had a great urge to  perform in a way that would stand out dramatically in the frame or scene  and attract the attention of the audience.But Jun-shik is not the kind  of character you can express that way.He isn’t a character that creates  situations, but one that reacts to them and requires that kind of  acting. This was the exact opposite of my previous work, so it was  really frustrating at first.    

KCT: How did you overcome that frustration?

Jang: What’s certain is that Jun-shik doesn’t change. It’s the  characters around him who change because of him. In that sense, Jun-shik  as a character has a clear goal. I think as an actor, it is matter of  choice whether to play this kind of character or not. Even the title of  the film is“My Way”, isn’t it?From a broader perspective of the film,  Jun-shik is the most important character and is determined by necessity.  My job was to figure out the details within that [set-up] and find ways  to express them.   

KCT: Your previous film and Hollywood debut <Warrior’s  Way> (2010) did not do as well asexpected. Do you see <My Way>  as an opportunity to make up for it?

Jang: The thing is, with<Warrior’s Way>the focus was not  on debuting in Hollywood. Back when I did <The Promise>, it wasn’t  my aim tolaunch into Chinaeither. Personally, I felt something lacking,  but it was still worthwhile as it was a good experience.     

KCT: You’ve practically become an icon of large-scale movies.

Jang: I hadn’t planned on it, but I find that  whenever a large-scalefilm is being planned I end up getting offered a  part. I’ve refused some, while I couldn’t participate in others even  though I wanted to. But I feel a kind of sense of emptiness after  completing eachlarge-scale film. So I end up looking for a film that’s  different afterwards. The reason why I did <The Coast Guard> [dir.  KIM Ki-duk, 2002] was because I went out insearch ofsomething different  after finishing <2009 Lost Memories> [dir. LEE Si-myung, 2002],  and it’s along the same lines that I was attracted to work with director  HUR Jin-ho next.    

KCT: There’s a concern that you are doing too many large-scale films in contrast to the more adventurous choices of your past.

Jang: To be honest, I didn’t personally have any desire[to  pursue this direction]. Roads kept going that way. Itwas never a roadI  set for myself, but they kept opening up in front of me. There are  people who want to walk this road but can’t. I’m just there.Sometimes I  went just because I was curious. So I may have seemed less eager and  enthusiastic in some ways. Now I know that all those experiences have  become a valuable part of me, and help me when choosing my next films.  It’s become more fun. There was a time when I felt confined. I’ve become  freer now after my marriage and the birth of our child. I have more  confidence that I can do what I really want to do.

source: Koreanfilm.or.kr

The movie is not doing as well as expected. It is expected to gross 10 million viewers in its domestic run. So far, it reached only 2 million viewers after 3 weeks. Overseas, My Way is now playing in movie theatres around Japan from Jan 14, and it came in third place after the 1st weekend with about $1.1 million.

The movie cost $28 million to make, and now after 3 weeks with a poor result, it already made about $14 million, not to mention money from the sell to other countries, so I don't think the movie won't make some money, just not as expected

The numbers below is from http://boxofficemojo.com

TW Movie / Weekend Gross / Gross-to-Date / Week

1 Mission: Impossible $ 3,831,245 / $ 42,071,302 / 4

2 Wonderful Radio $ 2,295,109 / $ 2,611,261 / 1

3 Sherlock Holmes $ 1,704,546 / $ 11,689,280 / 3

4 Perfect Game (2011) $ 1,069,429 / $ 7,703,698 / 3

5 Friends $ 918,743 / $ 2,759,040 / 2

6 My Way (2011) $ 901,208 / $ 13,226,948 / 3

7 The Darkest Hour $ 714,575 / $ 819,631 / 1

8 The Lion King (in 3D) $ 505,181 $ 2,600,483 2

Guest iluvugudbye

[HanCinema's Film Review] "My Way" or The High Way?

photo217744.jpg

With a production budget of about KRW 28 billion (US$24 million), Kang Je-gyu's "My Way"  marks not only his first in seven years but it is most expensive Korean  film ever made. The film was originally going to be Kang's first  foreign feature film but Kang decline Warner Brothers' investment  proposal and, instead, accepted the support of SK Telecom and CJ  E&M's film business division to put up the bulk of capital required.  With its international cast and wildly epic scope, "My Way" is a shell shocking thrill ride that examines the futility of war through the relationship of two unlikely friends.

The story is that which has become  legend. During WWII four Asians in Wehrmacht uniforms were found on Utah  beach after the D-Day invasions. How they got there is a fascinating  and heartening tale that was explored in the 2005 documentary by SBS  entitled "The Korean of Normandy". The film states in the beginning that  it is based on actual events but of course there was a lot of creative  freedoms taken. Kang chooses to tell this story through the birth of an  unlikely friendship between Joon-sik (an impoverished Korean runner  played by Jang Dong-gun) and his Japanese rival and superior (Tatsuo played by Joe Odagiri).  After a riot, due to Tatsuo being unjustly declared the winner of an  Olympic try-out marathon, Joon-sik and a few of his friends are  forcefully drafted into Japanese army. From there the journey to the  beaches of Normandy begins as the two are passed between powers like  pawns on a vicious and unforgiving chessboard. The scope here is truly  massive and after the film's 137min you will feel as if you yourself had  taken that journey. Leaving you both exhausted, emotional numb, and  shell shocked to say the least.

The length of the film did cause me to  raise an eyebrow as I proceeded with caution into the cinema. After the  film had run its course it was not the actual time it took for Kang to  tell his story that I then questioned, but the unrelenting and brutal  pace at which the story progressed. The transition between scenes  allowed very little in the way of rest bite. With the action being as  emotional and visual intoxicating as it was, it might take you a while  until the tinnitus simmers down and you awaken from the demanding  dreamscape Kang puts forth. It's a hard-hitting ride that drags you  along, mirroring our heroes' journey, but perhaps these transitions  could have been smoothed out and tempered to a degree.

With such a film the balance between the  scope of events and the weight given to each of them is vital. Although  this does tie into issues with the length, I also found that a number  of story and plot elements could have been done away with or approached  in a different light. The first 40 minutes of the film's set-up felt  appropriate but in retrospect that time could have been redistributed to  other areas of the film. They served their propose well but as the film  ticks over you might find yourself wishing for a moment or two of  reflection amidst the madness and mayhem. Transitions were my biggest  gripe as the cuts that divided Joon-sik's journey failed to soften and  easy the passage. Besides one scene, involving a long train ride and the  classic plotting its path on a map, there was little to suggest the  passage of time and the change of space. Sure the magic of cinema did  its work and the illusion was maintained, but emotionally I struggled to  internalise the dramatics of certain scenes and the impact they should  have had on events to follow.

"My Way"  earns its worth with its visuals. Its massive budget shows from the  early street shots and costumes of Korea during the 1930's to Kang's  gorgeous rendition of the D-Day landing. The special effects and general  cinematography is solid and the contrast between the film's many  locations is palpable. The Russian P.O.W camp was especially brutal as  the unimaginable coldness of the camp permeated through the frame. There  were also a number of imaginative camera shots that were tactfully used  and worked well to heighten the tension instead of distracting from it.  Jang's film has a visual delight and it is the film's  biggest plus for  me.

The acting in the film was satisfactory. Jang Dong-gun's performance never faulted but his rigid consistency seemed at odds with the epic journey he was taking across Asian and Europe. On the other hand, Joe Odagiri's  character allows him to play a character that was transformed over the  course of the film. There needed to be more of human crack in Jang's  character, something that broke him and allowed him to rise again. The  events he and his friend suffered are simply beyond the average persons  comprehension, and the pure tenacity he ploughed through it all with  made me less empathetic and caused me to distance myself from him. The  supporting cast also carried their weight well as a number of lesser  characters stood out and perhaps added the human aspect I was looking  for in our hero. The sadness and sympathy I felt in felt was directed  more towards these characters than the two friends I was supposed to  identify with. Characters such as Sirai (played by Fan Bingbing)  ultimately felt unnecessary. Its unfortunate to say but the role of  foreign female sniper seems to have become a cold and stale motif in  Korean war films and her role in "My Way"  added little to the experience. The acting itself cannot really be  faulted by there are questions to be raised about certain characters'  inclusion and the emotional weight they were asked to carry in the film.

"My Way"  was a big pill to swallow and I would have preferred it to come in an  easier, more digestible, dose. Its epic scale and grand story had "Kang Je-gyu"  written all over it but the linking of events was rough and made for  hard viewing. The millions of dollars shined as Kang's team did a  fantastic job at bringing this mammoth task onto the big screen. It's a  heart-thumping spectacle that will numb your senses as you wait to  exhale, and a second viewing would almost be as cruel as the asking that  lone Korean soldier on the beach of Utah to relive his experience.

by: C.J. Wheeler (Chriscjw@gmail.com)

source: Hancinema

Guest iluvugudbye

"My Way" Takes the Number 3 Spot in Japan Box Office

by: little mixed girl on Jan 17, 2012

4f05b8ee9a17de4d8c10bf3c3ac2116d_large.jpg

Various Japanese movie sites announced that the movie "My Way," directed by Kang Je Gyu, took the number three spot on its opening weekend for the Japanese Box Office. The movie, which stars Jang Dong Gun, Odagiri Joe and Fan Bingbing, follows the stories of Kim Joon Sik (Jang Dong Gun) and Tatsuo Hasegawa (Odagiri Joe) as they grow up in colonized Korea and are entangled in the complexities of life during World War 2.

The Japanese comedy "Robo G" and "Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol" took first and second place respectively. With its strong showing this past weekend, Japanese movie sites are predicting that the movie will continue to hold or move up in the coming days.

Japanese reviewers on the site eiga.com gave the movie 4 out of 5 stars. Reviewers liked the general quality of the movie, and praised Odagiri Joe's acting, saying that even at a length of 145 minutes, it was never boring.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

so happy! :w00t:

"My Way" Takes the Number 3 Spot in Japan Box Office

by: little mixed girl on Jan 17, 2012

*quoted image*

Various Japanese movie sites announced that the movie "My Way," directed by Kang Je Gyu, took the number three spot on its opening weekend for the Japanese Box Office. The movie, which stars Jang Dong Gun, Odagiri Joe and Fan Bingbing, follows the stories of Kim Joon Sik (Jang Dong Gun) and Tatsuo Hasegawa (Odagiri Joe) as they grow up in colonized Korea and are entangled in the complexities of life during World War 2.

The Japanese comedy "Robo G" and "Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol" took first and second place respectively. With its strong showing this past weekend, Japanese movie sites are predicting that the movie will continue to hold or move up in the coming days.

Japanese reviewers on the site eiga.com gave the movie 4 out of 5 stars. Reviewers liked the general quality of the movie, and praised Odagiri Joe's acting, saying that even at a length of 145 minutes, it was never boring.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

so happy! :w00t:

Yes! The best marketing is the word of mouth! I'm glad that Japanese like the movie. I read some Korean people said that they're afraid of war movie.(b/c they used to watch soap operas?) . I watched the clips on the official website several times and I like them all. I found it very touching and interesting so I hope I can watch the movie here!

Guest iluvugudbye

Yes! The best marketing is the word of mouth! I'm glad that Japanese like the movie. I read some Korean people said that they're afraid of war movie.(b/c they used to watch soap operas?) . I watched the clips on the official website several times and I like them all. I found it very touching and interesting so I hope I can watch the movie here!

hello potato11. nice meeting you. blush.gif yeah, it's great that the Japanese liked the movie. i hope it will keep it's current standing or move up in the coming days. i also watched some of the trailers and i have to agree with you.i also found it great and very interesting. hopefully we'll be able to watch the whole movie soon. blush.gif

• 2 weeks later...
Guest iluvugudbye

No Photoshop, just Kim Ha-neul

↓    ↓    ↓    ↓    ↓

Meanwhile, Kim Ha-neul switched management companies to the same where Jang Dong-gun is and is now considering her next project while taking a break.

Jang Geun-seok's "You Pet" at 6th place in Japan

↓    ↓    ↓    ↓    ↓

"My Way" with Jang Dong-gun and Joe Odagiri finished 9th. "My Way" was released in Japan under the title, "My Way: The Truth of 12000KM".

Final Korean Box Office for the Week-end 2012.01.21 ~ 2012.01.22 @ Hancinema.com 

Guest iluvugudbye

while waiting for further updates on our dearest Dong Gun just wanna these cute artworks from our BYJ thread. i don't know who made these but whoever she/he is, much thanks.

BoF72.jpg

BoF.jpg

***Finally...................a drama for JDG! :lol:

Jang Dong-gun in "A Gentleman's Dignity"

43663416.4.jpg

"Return of the King"

In conclusion, it'll be Jang Dong-gun.

The leading actor for upcoming SBS drama "A Gentleman's Dignity" has been confirmed. Several names such as Jang Dong-gun, Kim Myeong-min, Cha Seung-won, Joo Jin-mo and others have been mentioned for the leading role, but Jang Dong-gun was the first one to verbally seal a deal with the production company, leaving only the official signing. Jang Dong-gun is coming back to home TV screens after a 12 year break following 2000's MBC drama "All About Eve".

Jang Dong-gun was a very likely candidate from the moment the drama was created. However, he had been overseas for a long time and had to refuse their offer, and the production team even considered postponing the drama to May since he was so busy. Jang Dong-gun offered this role to his best friend Joo Jin-mo since he couldn't do it, but finally accepted after much convincing by writer Kim Eun-sook.

Source : news.nate.com/view/20... ( Korean )

Translation : Hancinema

Guest iluvugudbye

***Finally...................a drama for JDG!  :lol:

Jang Dong-gun in "A Gentleman's Dignity"

*quoted image*

"Return of the King"

In conclusion, it'll be Jang Dong-gun.

The leading actor for upcoming SBS drama "A Gentleman's Dignity" has been confirmed. Several names such as Jang Dong-gun, Kim Myeong-min, Cha Seung-won, Joo Jin-mo and others have been mentioned for the leading role, but Jang Dong-gun was the first one to verbally seal a deal with the production company, leaving only the official signing. Jang Dong-gun is coming back to home TV screens after a 12 year break following 2000's MBC drama "All About Eve".

Jang Dong-gun was a very likely candidate from the moment the drama was created. However, he had been overseas for a long time and had to refuse their offer, and the production team even considered postponing the drama to May since he was so busy. Jang Dong-gun offered this role to his best friend Joo Jin-mo since he couldn't do it, but finally accepted after much convincing by writer Kim Eun-sook.

Source : news.nate.com/view/20... ( Korean )

Translation : Hancinema

Jang Dong Gun Joins “Secret Garden” Writer for First TV Drama Appearance in 12 Years

by: thunderstix on Jan 31, 2012 posted @ soompi news

Jang Dong Gun will make his first come back to TV drama in 12 years through SBS’s upcoming series, “A Gentleman’s Dignity.”

On January 31, Jang Dung Gun’s agency told local media, “Jang Dung Gun confirmed his casting in ‘A Gentleman’s Dignity.’ This will be his first TV drama since MBC’s ‘Eve’s Warning’ 12 years ago.”

“A Gentleman’s Dignity” is written by Kim Eun Sook, whose previous works include, “Secret Garden,” “Lovers in Paris,” “Lovers in Prague,” “On Air,” and “City Hall.” It’s a melodrama depicting the romance of a single man in his 40s.

The first episode of “A Gentleman’s Dignity” is scheduled for May. Other castings confirmed so far include Kim Soo Ro, Kim Min Jong, Kim Min, and Yoon Sae Ah.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

yipeeeyyy! something to look forward to. im anticipating his comeback on the small screen. it's been a while since he appeared in one. miss seeing him in dramas. i wonder what kind of role will he play. kyaaaa! im so excited. MY WAY, DANGEROUS LIAISON AND NOW A GENTLEMAN'S DIGNITY! can't wait! can't wait! can't wait to see these 3 works of him! w00t.gifw00t.gif

Jang Dong Gun Joins “Secret Garden” Writer for First TV Drama Appearance in 12 Years

by: thunderstix on Jan 31, 2012 posted @ soompi news

Jang Dong Gun will make his first come back to TV drama in 12 years through SBS’s upcoming series, “A Gentleman’s Dignity.”

On January 31, Jang Dung Gun’s agency told local media, “Jang Dung Gun confirmed his casting in ‘A Gentleman’s Dignity.’ This will be his first TV drama since MBC’s ‘Eve’s Warning’ 12 years ago.”

“A Gentleman’s Dignity” is written by Kim Eun Sook, whose previous works include, “Secret Garden,” “Lovers in Paris,” “Lovers in Prague,” “On Air,” and “City Hall.” It’s a melodrama depicting the romance of a single man in his 40s.

The first episode of “A Gentleman’s Dignity” is scheduled for May. Other castings confirmed so far include Kim Soo Ro, Kim Min Jong, Kim Min, and Yoon Sae Ah.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

yipeeeyyy! something to look forward to. im anticipating his comeback on the small screen. it's been a while since he appeared in one. miss seeing him in dramas. i wonder what kind of role will he play. kyaaaa! im so excited. MY WAY, DANGEROUS LIAISON AND NOW A GENTLEMAN'S DIGNITY! can't wait! can't wait! can't wait to see these 3 works of him! w00t.gifw00t.gif

Hi dam-su, so nice to see you on JDG's thread. I didn't know that you also adore this man aside of course, our man, BYJ - hehehe. I’m so glad that I just died knowing that JDG returns to TV. It took him 12 yrs. to do another drama. This is confirmed & he’s not going to back out right? I know what a big deal this is. Well I never stopped hoping & wishing I’d see the day. I heard this is a male version of “Sex and the City”. I’m so excited & curious who’ll be his leading female partner in this drama. I read that Lee Na Young was casted but she turned it down. I would love to see Son Ye Jin as the lead actress - beautiful and talented yes…I can see chemistry with JDG although he may be a little older than her. He is still an oppa for me. Whoever, I hope the female cast will be great, too. I’m sure he’ll start filming soon since this will premier in May, springtime. It’s about time. I can’t wait. The Producer may be finally saved up enough dough to pay him to do a drama.- hehehe I fell in love with JDG after watching him in “All About Eve”. “Secret Garden” writer? Ohhh…….that will be interesting – I adore this drama. I was so thrilled to the max watching HB here. :lol:

Guest iluvugudbye

Hi dam-su, so nice to see you on JDG's thread. I didn't know that you also adore this man aside of course, our man, BYJ - hehehe. I’m so glad that I just died knowing that JDG returns to TV. It took him 12 yrs. to do another drama. This is confirmed & he’s not going to back out right? I know what a big deal this is. Well I never stopped hoping & wishing I’d see the day. I heard this is a male version of “Sex and the City”. I’m so excited & curious who’ll be his leading female partner in this drama. I read that Lee Na Young was casted but she turned it down. I would love to see Son Ye Jin as the lead actress - beautiful and talented yes…I can see chemistry with JDG although he may be a little older than her. He is still an oppa for me. Whoever, I hope the female cast will be great, too. I’m sure he’ll start filming soon since this will premier in May, springtime.  It’s about time. I can’t wait. The Producer may be finally saved up enough dough to pay him to do a drama.- hehehe  I fell in love with JDG after watching him in “All About Eve”. “Secret Garden” writer? Ohhh…….that will be interesting – I adore this drama. I was so thrilled to the max watching HB here.  :lol:

hey sis willenette. :lol: he he he. yeah, i also adore JDG. became a fan of him after watching him in AAE. i really liked his character in that drama and loved his chemistry with Chae Rim. :wub: actually, he was the first one who ignited my K-drama/movie addiction but it was short-lived. i got very busy with so many things especially in school back then so eventually my addiction with korean dramas and movies subsided and remained dormant until our BYJ came and re-ignited it again and further intensified it with his drama TWSSG. although, im more of a BYJ fan now, i still adore our JDG. i still update myself with his news and watch his movies. i do visit here once in a while. it was just recently that i've decided to give this thread some love and share something.

anyway, it great that he decided to return into doing dramas. i was so glad when i read your post that he finally accepted to appear in A Gentleman's Dignity. indeed, it's been quite a long while since we've seen him appearing in a drama. after AAE, he only concentrated in doing movies. it's about time he returns to the small screen. i am hopeful that everything will go smoothly and we'll get to see him in a drama in May. Crossing our fingers. ;)  so it's a male version of..... Sex and the City?!!! Ahem! im having naughty thoughts right now. :D really? Sex and the City make version? so........ we'll get to see him ahhhmmm........ you know what i mean . :wub:  if so then.........kyaaaaa! can't wait! :P

as for his leading lady, Son Ye Jin is a good choice. i can also see a chemistry between the two of them. it would be great if they cast her.she is a very talented actress and very beautiful.i love her in AS with our BYJ. ^_^ but whoever they pick as the female lead, i hope that she will be a good match to our JDG. ^_^

yup! the writer of Secret Garden is also the one who wrote A Gentleman's Dignity. oooohhhh....so you also adore this drama. I love Secret Garden. it's one of my faves. HB was really cute and adorable in there. it was fun to watch. i really enjoyed it.

well, i hope we can hear more positive developments on our JDG's upcoming drama. Wishing our JDG best of luck and god bless. i hope this drama will do great. :)

February 1, 2012

Jang Dong-gun to make drama comeback

01171549.jpg

Hallyu movie star Jang Dong-gun will return to the world of TV dramas in May, 12 years since his last drama role.

Jang will star in the 20-part SBS weekend drama “A Gentleman’s Dignity,” which will be written by Kim Eun-sook and directed by Shin Woo-chul, both of whom co-wrote the 2010 hit drama “Secret Garden.”

The new drama featuring Jang has been described as a middle-aged male version of the popular U.S. sitcom “Sex and the City.” Other celebrities to star in the show are Kim Min-jong and Kim Su-ro. The female lead has not yet been confirmed.

“Although Jang hasn’t signed the contract yet, he is currently in talks about conditions and details related to his participation in the drama,” said a representative from AM Entertainment, which expects the deal to be finalized soon.

Jang’s last drama role was in MBC’s “All About Eve” back in 2000. Last year, he stared in the blockbuster movie “My Way,” directed by Kang Je-gyu.

“My Way” is based on a TV documentary about the tumultuous life of a man who was conscripted into Japan’s Kwantung Army and forced to fight for three countries – Japan, the Soviet Union and Germany – during World War II.

By Carla Sunwoo [carlasunwoo@joongang.co.kr]

http://koreajoongangdaily.joinsmsn.com/news/article/Article.aspx?aid=2947761

Guest iluvugudbye

Will Kim Ha Neul Appear Alongside Jang Dong Gun for "A Gentleman's Dignity"?

by: jnkm on Feb 1, 2012 @ soompi news

Kim Ha Neul is in strong consideration to act alongside Jang Dong Gun, who will be making his first small screen come back in 12 years for the new SBS drama "A Gentleman's Dignity." Things are not confirmed yet but it is reported that Kim Ha Neul is positively thinking about joining the cast.

When Jang Dong Gun's casting was not confirmed, many other actors were considered such as Kim Myung Min and Joo Jin Mo. The first episode was supposed to air in March but has now been pushed back to May. Jang Dong Gun, who recently finished filming overseas, was won over by writer Kim Eun Sook, who continuously asked him to join the cast.

Lee Na Young was strongly considered in the beginning, but she was not able to join due to time conflicts. Kim Eun Sook then made love calls to Kim Ha Neul, who acted in Kim Eun Sook's past drama, "On Air" in 2008.

Kim Ha Neul is receiving a lot of love these days and is being called the "Queen of Romantic Comedies." She also won awards for her movie, "Blind" last year, which made people acknowledge her acting skills as well. For these reasons, people say that she is well-suited to act alongside Jang Dong Gun.

"A Gentleman's Dignity" is written by Kim Eun Sook, who has worked on "Lovers in Paris," "On Air," "Secret Garden" and other top hits. The drama will be about the love lives that revolve around good-looking and single men in their forties.

--------------------------------------------------------------

she's a great actress and i think she is ver well suited with Jang Dong Gun. i hope she will accept and join the cast. blush.gif

I like Ha ji won to play in this drama, but it seems like KNH has been chosen! I have to admit that I had a little disappointed !

Anyway, I prefer KNH than LNY.

potato, is KHN really accepting this drama? Oh, KHN is fine. She is good- looking She’s getting a lot of work. I like her. I even liked her as that bratty actress in “On Air”. I liked her chemistry with PYH in that drama but I’m intrigued how it will turn out with JDG. I hope she accepts. She does tend to have good chemistry with her co-stars. JDG definitely needs someone with less of a cutesy look and more of an adult one or else it will just look funny & I think KHN could fill this in. I’m sure everyone will tune in this drama just because of Jang Dong Gun. JDG’s return to small screen is surely squeal-worthy. Although I know star power can’t help boost rating but somehow the concept seems really exciting. Although I believe Jang Dong Gun is really the leading force behind all of this, it all comes down to the story. Well, for me it’s the writer that interests me as well. I just hope the writer can get it all figured out with story again just like what she did with her previous works. And……I was actually wondering why a weekend drama for an A-lister like JDG, huh? :unsure:

Guest iluvugudbye

Jang Dong-gun Returns to Primetime Drama

2012020300512_0.jpg                                                                                     

Actor Jang Dong-gun is returning to primetime TV drama after a  12-year absence. He decided to appear in a 20-episode weekend drama  called "A Gentleman's Dignity," which is scheduled to air from May on  SBS, said his management agency AM Entertainment.

This comes over  a decade after the 40-year-old actor starred in MBC's "All About Eve"  in 2000. According to the agency's press release, his upcoming drama is  about the careers and love lives of urban professionals.

"The  drama will portray in a sophisticated way the lives of men in their 40s,  which have rarely been dealt with compared to other age groups," the  agency said.

Jang shot to stardom by appearing in a series of  soaps and gaining huge popularity specially among teens after his debut  in 1992. But since 2000, he has concentrated on movies, with notable  hits including "Friend," "Taegukgi" and the recently

source: Chosun Ilbo

Kim Ha-neul likely to be in "A Gentleman's Dignity"

Actress Kim Ha-neul is being considered for the partner of Jang Dong-gun in "A Gentleman's Dignity".

She is a very likely candidate for the drama, which will be Jang Dong-gun's return to TV after a long hiatus.

It seems that Kim Eun-sook, who also wrote "On Air", has spoken to Kim Ha-nuel about starring.

Kim Ha-neul's management company said, "The contract hasn't been signed yet but we are looking through at the offer optimistically".

People are paying attention to whether the Queen of Romantic Comedy and Jang Dong-gun will come together or not.

"A Gentleman's Dignity" is produced by Sin Woo-cheol and written by Kim Eun-sook, who also penned "Secret Garden".

Source : news.nate.com/view/20... ( Korean )/Hancinema

Guest iluvugudbye

SBS Is About to Bring Out the Aces, Jang Dong Gun and Zo In Sung

2012-02-02 17:50  l  CJ E&M enewsWorld Lee, InKyung

SBS is gearing up for big things - the station is bringing out top stars Jang Dong Gun and Zo In Sung for their first roles on TV in a very long time.

Jang Dong Gun has confirmed that he′d be returning to the small screen after a 12-year long absence in May with A Gentleman’s Dignity.

Jang has been focusing on films since his last TV drama role in MBC’s All About Eve, which aired back in 2000.

In the upcoming drama written by Kim Eun Sook, best known for Secret Garden, he will play the role of the male version of Sex & The City′s lead character.

An official behind the drama said, “We heard that Jang Dong Gun had interest in Kim Eun Sook’s pieces because Secret Garden’s male lead Hyun Bin is under contract to Jang Dong Gun′s agency. He received the casting offer last fall but he turned down the offer due to the scheduling of Chinese movie Dangerous Liaisons. But as the drama’s schedule has been pushed back to May from March, he changed his mind and accepted our offer after we asked several times.”

The official continued, “Kim Ha Neul, who recently shifted her agency to Jang Dong Gun′s, is being considered as his co-star. If Kim is cast, Jang will be able to stake his all in the drama more comfortably. His wife Go So Young is supporting Jang Dong Gun’s comeback.”

Kim Min Jong, Kim Soo Ro, and Kim Min have also joined the cast of A Gentleman’s Dignity. Shooting is expected to kick in as early as March.

Meanwhile, Zo In Sung has been considering the male lead in SBS’ 50 episode traditional drama, Master of Feng Shui.

If he accepts the casting offer, it would be his first TV drama since his last piece What Happened in Bali, which aired eight years ago.

Earlier this year, he turned down the casting offer from MBC’s The King, which is starring Ha Ji Won because he wanted to choose a film as a comeback piece after being discharged from the army.

But as the movie, Kwon Bob, which was supposed to be his comeback piece, has been shelved, he began to consider coming back to the small screen. As Kwon Bob is expected to crank up in the second half of this year at the earliest, he turned to TV dramas on the basis that he should not take a break for more than one year after being discharged.

An official behind the drama stated, “At first, top stars like Joo Ji Hoon and Lee Jun Ki were considered but the casting didn’t work out. So the drama’s schedule has been pushed back to upcoming fall from spring. But once Zo In Sung accepts the role, the production will progress at a speed with the aim for releasing in May as a follow-up to Fashion King. Zo is hesitating to make a decision because it is a 50-episode long drama, but it seems like he has an interest in the drama, which has a large scale and strong storyline.”

Master of Feng Shui follows a story of masters of feng shui who helped Lee Sung Kye to establish the Joseon Dynasty. Director Lee Yong Seok, who helmed the hit drama Iljimae will be in charge of directing.

Meanwhile, as Zo’s contract with his agency Sidus HQ is expected to expire in late March, many industry associates, insiders with drama production companies and film companies are eyeing the actor.

source: enewsworld

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kim Ha Neul To Co-Star with Jang Dong Gun in ‘A Gentleman’s Dignity’

2012-02-03 13:49  l  CJ E&M enewsWorld Lee, InKyung

The lineup of SBS’ upcoming drama A Gentleman’s Diginity has been finalized.

The drama has been drawing attention even prior to its airing, as the team of Kim Eun Sook and Shin Woo Chul behind the hit drama Secret Garden, have joined hands again.

Many candidates for the leads were been considered, and the roles finally went to two major stars - Jang Dong Gun and Kim Ha Neul.

While Kim Ha Neul may have been more accessible on the small screen, the fact that Jang Dong Gun will be acting the drama is making headlines, as he hasn′t acted in a drama since his last drama, MBC′s All About Eve, 12 years ago.

The production crew went through hoops in order to get Jang on board, as he was the first actor to whom the crew offered the role. Initially, Jang turned it down due to scheduling conlicts, but ultimately, changed his mind and took on the coveted role.

On his decision, an official behind the show said, Hyun Bin, who is housed under Jang Dong Gun’s agency won big with Kim Eun Sook’s Secret Garden. Jang Dong Gun, who had watched the drama attentively, came to have trust in the production crew and made a decision to come back before it became too late.”

Meanwhile, the possibility for Kim Ha Neul to take on the female lead seemed to be low because writer Kim Eun Sook has a fairly hard-line rule that she won′t cast the same actor twice for her pieces.

Kim Ha Neul starred in the writer’s drama, SBS’ On Air along with Song Yoon Ah, Lee Bum Soo and the late Park Yong Ha - and so, has become the exception to Kim Eun Sook′s rule.

“In the past, Kim Ha Neul was able to take off with the role of Yoon Seung Ah in the drama (On Air). But Kim might have hesitated to take on the role for the upcoming drama because it is centered on the male lead. On the other hand, she might have thought positively of the drama because it would be her first drama since she moved to Jang Dong Gun’s agency," an official behind the drama stated. "I guess she might have thought that this drama would pave the way for them to have good relationship. She also might have hoped that the drama would bring out a synergy effect overseas on the back of their star power as hallyu stars.”

A Gentleman’s Dignity is centered on the story of work and love of those in their 40s. Jang Dong Gun will play the role of a chic urban bachelor in his early 40s, while Kim Ha Neul will play a unique and eccentric single high school teacher in her late 30s. The drama is set to premiere in May after Live in Style wraps up.

source: enewsworld

------------------------------------------------------

oh! so Kim Ha Nuel and JDG are in the same agency. what a suprise! w00t.gif  and Hyun Bin too! my oh my! w00t.gif

Guest iluvugudbye

[News] Jang Dong-gun, Kim Ha-neul cast as leads in new SBS TV series.

Top Korean actor Jang Dong-gun and actress Kim Ha-neul have been cast as  the leads in an upcoming SBS TV series, according to the show's  promoter 3HW on Wednesday.

3HW stated in a press release that  Jang will play Kim Do-jin who is a manager of a construction company and  Kim will take on the role of a high school ethics teacher named Song  Yi-soo in the romantic comedy titled "Dignity of a Gentleman"  (translated title) set to premiere in May.

"Gentleman," written  by "Secret Garden" scenarist Kim Eun-sook, will tell the love story of  four men in their forties. The series will also star actors Kim Suro,  Kim Min-jong and Kim Min.

"I have high expectations for  'Gentleman' and I am really glad that I was able to take on this role  even with my busy schedule in China," Jang said in the statement.

His  co-star Kim explained that she was excited to be working on a drama  written by Kim Eun-sook once again since she wrote the script for her  last SBS TV series "On Air."

Jang's last small screen role was in  MBC's drama "All About Eve" in 2000 which also starred actress  Chae-rim, Han Jae-seok and Kim So-yeon.

He has starred in top  Korean films "Friend," "TaeGukGi: Brotherhood Of War" and "Typhoon." He  recently starred in famed Korean director Kang Je-gyu's Hollywood debut  war flick "My Way" with Japanese actor Odagiri Joe and Chinese actress  Fan Bingbing.

Kim has enjoyed steady popularity in Korea since  her debut in 1996, starring in numerous hit TV dramas and movies,  including SBS TV series "On Air" and films "My Tutor Friend," "My  Girlfriend is an Agent" and "Blind."

She was recently in Japan to promote her film "You Are My Pet" with co-star Jang Keun-suk.

original source: 10asia

reposted: TWSSG TEAM by JO

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kim Ha Neul and Jang Dong Gun Confirmed for New Drama by “Secret Garden” Writer

by: hotshotlover30 on Feb 7, 2012 @ soompi news

d244e563260bb87f5c42f1202ecaa10c_large.jpg

Kim Ha Neul and Jang Dong Gun have been confirmed as leads for upcoming SBS drama “A Gentleman’s Dignity,” written by “Secret Garden’s” screenwriter Kim Eun Sook. The drama made headlines early on by casting Korea’s top actor Jang Dong Gun, making “A Gentleman’s Dignity” his first small screen appearance in 12 years. The drama is also Kim Ha Neul’s first drama since 2010 and the second time she works with Kim Eun Sook. Back in 2008, she starred in Kim Eun Sook’s drama “On Air.” “A Gentleman’s Dignity” will tell the love story of four good-looking, single men in their forties. 

Kim Ha Neul stated, “I’m so glad to have gotten the chance to work with ‘On Air’s” screenwriter Kim Eun Sook and director Shin Woo Chul again.” Jang Dong Gun added, “I was busy with my movie activities in China, but the crew [of “A Gentleman’s Dignity”] reworked the schedules to fit with mine. I was able to decide on this drama because of my trust in the script and the crew.”  

Kim Suro, Kim Min Jong, Yoon Se Ah, Kim Min, and others will join Kim Ha Neul and Jang Dong Gun in the series. “A Gentleman’s Dignity” will air this coming May.