• Replies 39.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^

^

^

^

Thanks @qoxie for the clarification about JYPE USA vs JYPE Korea situation -- before reading it I was thinking that something was very odd with those news. I thought that one single CF would probably earn the same amount of the earnings printed out there, yet WG and the rest of JYPE family had many CFs in 2009. It's not easy to guess figures for music sales, but the average figures of commercials are easy to find in the web (allkpop reported amounts in the $100K to $1000K range each for several idol groups).

It all makes sense now. The USA branch is a venture and in a risky environment like entertainment, it's really difficult to become profitable. I remember JYP regretting on TV that the US company was hit hard in 2007 by the downturn after months of preparation. He's gotta love the job a lot to stay and start anew then, prepare a new step by step plan (just getting the Wonder Girls on Billboard took 6 months and was planned from the start) and after all the new efforts handle Sun Mi departure with such apparent nonchalance. I have lots of respect for the man.

What's most important for me is that the Wonder Girls are not taking the weight of the whole company on their shoulders, and that's much better. :)

--

So many news this friday, videos and still no new Jobros hint.

I've found this Singapore montage on Youtube, it's quite nice.

Cr. goohyesunfan@yt

--

This better be good for us, they're teasing way too much...

fc40e7f364bb5ce06a7b7b89f78af48b_large.png

Guest candycorn

but yeah... i really hope the girls can be as professional as possible and not let JYP's lack of money and stuff affect the way that they perform or handle their fans. i reeeeeeeeally want to go to the nyc concert

i think i'm going there! i'm going to make my parents buy me a ticket x].

it better be worth it and i hope they don't re-do the concert from before!

i'm probably going to be buying the $50 ticket because i am not spending that much for an un-guaranteed spot for VIP.

and i'm sorry if anyone asked this before, but is this concert going to contain korean songs or english songs? there are english and korean songs for like every song they have. does anybody know what language they will sing in for the new york concert?

Guest poptart_of_doom

i'm not one to post on forums, but i'm excited to see so many people coming to the Chicago show. i'm going though i'm too poor (i.e. cheap) to pay for V.I.P. tix.

i'm just really hoping a lot of people show up and support the girls. and hopefully if they do well more K-Artists will tour the states and it would be all thanks to their success :D

The 2twenty6ten video is out. My bet was wrong, it's not a tour announce.

They're launching a web site to connect fans with the JB Group artists, including the Wonder Girls.

Site name is www.cambio.com and it's down now -- maybe it did not stand the joanies attack XD

They're setting also twitter and facebook accounts.

The Wonder Girls make a very short cameo at 1:35

btw cambio means 'change' in Spanish and Italian B)

^

^haha the video was fun watching everyone all over the place then i hear "hi we are the wonder girls!~" and i don't think i watched the rest of the video :D! all i did was go back to that little cameo lol.

yeah, i agree the KIA cf was totally lacking. i mean, two of the members were friggin missing! but the EXR photoshoot made up for it. lim looked really cute in this one part were they caught her posing for the camera :P. and i actually like yoobin's hair that color! haha i have to say, she rocks the maroon ^_^. and yeeun eating! aw~ i was so happy watching that part! it's been awhile since i've seen her munchin' down in a video LOL.

Guest Hallyufangrl89

it might have been a brief "appearance" but it was cute!! haha "annyeong"

I can't wait for the WG Tour 2010! still hoping for 2am to make an appearance though :(

Guest OnJong

I really wish I could go to the WG concerts but its not in my town and I cant afford to travel. But I wish them all the luck in the world.

Guest luvme06

I seriously cannot wait for this concert in NY!! it's going to be awesome!!!

Yubin looks so pretty with red-ish hair ^o^

Guest XxSwt Lilo LuverxX

yoobin's orange/red lipstick has got to go LOL

my fav photoshoots are EXR

they all look pretty ~

Guest eidolon

The new EXR photoshoot is looking fabulous. The girls are looking beautiful in the video. Lim is so cute, she's pretty too. But I don't like the high bun hairstyle on her. Yoobin with red hair is <3. She looks stunning in the video. Just not digging the orange lipstick. Sunye and Yeeun are flawless as usual. They are looking super duper pretty. And Sohee. Wow, she's growing into such a gorgeous young woman. Seriously, I couldn't keep my eyes off of her in the video. So many things to look forward to in the coming months.

Guest omgitscrystal

OMG I love YooBin's red hair in the EXR photo shoots. ALL of them look really pretty Heh! Especially YeEun!~~~ Haha! And SoHee definitely looked cute as usual! xDD

Aish. Why can't the WonderGirls come to back homeland? I really miss them being in Korea. I know they miss their homeland too T-T

The KIA commercial was ok. But it wasn't fair to YooBin & Lim. YeEun & SoHee looked gorgeous over there. Hmm, but SunYe didn't look good in those shades ( my opinion). SoHee ain't the youngest anymore? T-T

Guest shinhwabq

Hey guys, check out the Wonder Girls at 1:34 for cambio. http://www.cambio.com/ Watch the video posted on the page to check out more info on cambio.

--

Edit: Whoops, I'm sorry. I should've checked any other posts on cambio.

Guest Agyness

I hear their new title track is very similar to Tell Me. ;)

My resources, haha - kidding! I know someone who works at JYPE in NY. :)

clues for what the new concept will be.

Guest vietboi_tuan

I really like their new photoshoot.

YooBin stand out even more now, which is good because American market go

straight to her. Good PR strategy JYP. I love her new hair color and it look like

it's getting a bit longer.

SunYe and SoHee look really good also. YeEun of course so beautiful. Lim is

catching on and can they please style her hair different and not in a bob

like that all the time? Antis are going to think they are "bullying" her again.

New song is similar to Tell Me? I don't know if I should be happy or sad

about that. I'm happy because "Tell Me" was very addictive and got everyone

in Korea and K-pop fans around the world to dance sing along to the girls.

However, American market doesn't get hook onto bubbly pop like Tell Me.

So I'm half and half on this, maybe we are going to just have to wait and see.

Guest shinhdeplol

Wonder Girls talk about their comeback during their photoshoot for EXR

CS0.9072700_1_1.jpg

On April 9th’s episode of MBC’s Section TV, they were able to interview the Wonder Girls during their photoshoot for EXR.

Firstly, the Wonder Girls’ newest member Hae Lim got the chance to “officially” introduce herself in an interview on a Korean program.

In their visit, the Section TV crew got to go to the girls’ prep room during the girls’ rest time. During this time, the crew asked Yoobin what the girls typically do when they’re having a rest time from the photoshoot. Yoobin revealed that the girls talk and eat, while Sunye added that they read books. When Yoobin asked Sunye if she had any verses she remembered from the book she was currently reading, Sunye replied, “I just started, I only read 10 pages … It’s a really great book.”

Regarding their style of clothes, the girls were asked if they usually wear the kinds of clothes they were wearing during the interview. Ye Eun commented, “Yeah, we usually like to wear short pants with leggings layered underneath. It gives a cool atmosphere and also makes you look slimmer.”

During the interview, Sohee also confirmed that the girls will be back briefly in Korea’s music programs to cross-promote in America and Korea. Because it’s been a long while since the girls performed in front of national fans, Sohee also added, “We’re very nervous (x 100).”

Sunye also got to talk about her friend 2AM’s Jo Kwon. Sunye commented, “Jo Kwon has always been [Kkap Kwon].” When Sunye was asked if Jo Kwon had changed since gaining popularity, she answered, “Yeah, he changed. He now buys me meals.” She then gave a message to her good friend, saying to the camera, “Jo Kwon, buy me more meals in the future.”

To finish off the interview, the girls talked about their upcoming American tour, and how 2PM was going to participate in the opening act. At the end, the girls asked the fans to anticipate their comeback.

3L0.9072737_1_1.jpg

C: allkpop

Guest qoxie

Thanks @qoxie for the clarification about JYPE USA vs JYPE Korea situation -- before reading it I was thinking that something was very odd with those news. I thought that one single CF would probably earn the same amount of the earnings printed out there, yet WG and the rest of JYPE family had many CFs in 2009. It's not easy to guess figures for music sales, but the average figures of commercials are easy to find in the web (allkpop reported amounts in the $100K to $1000K range each for several idol groups).

Remember, JYP USA opened back in June 2007.

Whereas WG debuted in Feb 2007 but not in America until March 2009.

So the American branch was already operating -- at a commercial loss -- to develop 3 other proteges (Min, G-Soul, J Lim) prior.

There were various indications that the latter duo took part in recording sessions with American producers.

So this additional investment must have been quite a financial setback when the Credit Crunch hit & Korean entertainment companies started deactivating their artistes & writing off ongoing projects (& careers).

Honestly, the only article detail that attracted me is WG's "sales stopping at $100,075."

It's not a 'fantastic' figure (WG can likely earn it with 1-2 endorsement deals) but also not as downbeat when taken in context. 3 reasons:-

(i) it presumably excludes music-publishing income (where the real moola is, albeit this will go to JYPE i.e. publisher & JYP himself i.e. songwriter);

(ii) it presumably excludes the Jobros tour dividends (support acts typically pay their way, but WG had signed with Jonas Group by then & also appeared to have been co-opted by tour sponsors Verizon Wireless. eg. the sophisticated travel bus).

(iii) it infers WG might have actually sold more than 100,000 singles & downloads in America last year, seeing how they typically cost around a dollar (or less) over there.

I doubt the June tour is a money-spinner (small venues) but it should improve JYPE USA's cash flow & provide WG a certain status to build on again for America.

More generally, I am curious in how much WG can replicate the Korean/Asian commercial template in America.

While music sales is important, the entertainment companies in my part of the world no longer depend solely on it (as a result of widespread piracy).

Instead, they pursue all revenue streams &, correspondingly, as much celebrity as possible to fuel the business & attract new financiers/partners.

JYP could not have plausibly done this with Min, G-Soul or J.Lim, all of whom were tailored for a US niche.

Whereas WG has more mass-market potential, perhaps even greater than another protege Rain was.

- - - - - - -

A bit disappointed WG is not featured in the frontpage image slideshow at the Cambo site.

They're part of Jonas Group too.

^

Small consolation, "THE WONDER GIRLS" can be read in the background of the slide show.

So technically they were not left out. They're like in the fine print :D

Maybe the site designers are waiting for new photos (everyone is waiting for that, EXR shooting could be a remedy).

--

The EXR interview is very nice, the KIA CF is definitely for an older target -- my impression is that it's more about stardom than about giving a nice image of the girls. The message I get is that the Wonder Girls are above all like the sponsored car.

Archived