Lee Byung Hun 이병헌 Byunghun Lee

rubie

Somehow.. I really can't remember if this had been posted.. :sweatingbullets:.. this blurpanda getting obsolete..

December 21, 2008

The Good, The Bad, The Weird

Posted by luna6

203.jpg

Movie: The Good, The Bad, and the Weird

Release Date: July 17, 2008

Director: Ji-woon Kim

Starring: Byung-hun Lee, Kang-ho Song, Woo-sung Jung

Runtime: 137 min.

Editor Rating: 9.0

Users Rating: 7.96 (47 votes)

“The Good, The Bad, The Weird” is easily the most anticipated Korean movie of the year and, for once, the movie lives up to all the hype. The film has had some rough spots in its early production stages, losing investor/distributor Showbox during mid-production and encountering numerous delays after that. Even with these problems, the film features director Ji-woon Kim (The Quiet Family/The Foul King/A Tale of Two Sisters/A Bittersweet Life) and three of Korea’s most recognized acting names (Byung-hun Lee, Kang-ho Song, Woo-sung Jung) in the lead roles. It’s also an unique Asian Western film. Now that’s a lot to get excited about.

Set in Manchuria, China, during the 1930’s, a legendary map leading to priceless buried treasures is sold to the Japanese Army by an unscrupulous Korean criminal organization. The Korean crime gang then hires notorious killer Chang-yi Park (Byung-hun Lee) to steal back the map, so they can retrieve the buried treasures for themselves. Meanwhile, the Korean Independence Movement hires bounty hunter extraordinaire Do-won Park (Woo-sung Jung) to steal the map from the Japanese Army before killer Chang-yi Park is able to do so. Both of these men then descend upon a train traveling through the Manchurian desert to retake the legendary map.

A hitch is thrown in both of these men’s plan when train bandit Tae-gu Yun (Kang-ho Song) descends upon the train and takes the map while these two rivals fight among themselves. Now a race is on between killer Chang-yi Park and bounty hunter Do-won Park to find Tae-gu Yun, before he takes the buried treasures and disappears into the Manchurian dessert.

212.jpg

Holy Kimchi Western! “The Good, The Bad, The Weird” is the action picture of the year and provides the kind of popcorn entertainment not seen since Joon-ho Bong’s “The Host”. The film takes inspiration from the Spaghetti Westerns of yesteryears and incorporates that style into the backdrop of Manchuria, China circa 1930’s, a chaotic time not so dissimilar to the days of the wild west in America. The visuals are stunning, with colors as bright as a comic book and action sequences that are exhilarating. Some of the reasons for the action scenes having such a unique look lies with director Ji-woon Kim’s unique technique of incorporating wired cameramen following the actors as they ride & fly through the dessert.

The actors, especially Byung-hun Lee and Kang-ho Song, give the type of performances that stays in your head long after the end credits roll around. Although Woo-sung Jung’s ultra-cool persona may have been just too precise, Byung-hun Lee simply gives the most charismatic performance of his career & Kang-ho Song gives a performance that will make non-Koreans understand why he is so revered by Koreans.

Make note that Kim doesn’t hold back on the violence and the movie sheds enough blood to fill up two Asian horror films. I found the level perfectly acceptable and needed to keep the movie from straying too much into comic book land. While the script isn’t very deep, there’s enough depth to make the film work.

“The Good, The Bad, The Weird” offers fun & excitement on a level not found in many recent Korean films. Action fans will simply love the film, while most others will find there own different reasons to love the movie. For myself, what I gleamed from “The Good, The Bad, The Weird” is: 1.) director Ji-woon Kim is on par with Chan-wook Park & Joon-ho Bong 2.) Byung-hun Lee is way better than originally thought 3.) Kang-ho Song is the man! – can’t think of another Korean actor on his level right now. Check out “The Good, The Bad, The Weird,” for pure popcorn fun you’re going to be hard pressed to find a better movie.

Credits: lunapark6.com

Lovely Hunnies! We haven't heard anything about IRIS in Hungary and today.. a couple of cool updates finally! :w00t: Comments at Byunghun of our Hearts.. we sure hope to hear more from swiss, Khamul & IRIS fans in Hungary! :lol:

swiss

June 20, 2009 at 6:57 pm

we saw your man filming a shoot out for iris in nyugati station in budapest today. very cool

Khamul

June 20, 2009 at 8:34 pm

I was also there, it was awesome! A car went up in flames, a guy got shot in the shoulder… I wish I could’ve stayed longer, really shame that it started to rain.

I’m definitely checking out the series! Can’t wait!
: )

The Nyugati Railway Station in Budapest, it's an awesome sight & great location! ^^

nyugatibudapest.jpg

Source: wikipedia.org

ps: in an innolife update recently, it was mentioned that Byunghun-ssi couldn't be at Lee Beom Soo's' new movie premiere "Lifting KingKong" because he's away (obviously). Most of their close buddies.. like ICJ, SSH, SHJ, SHK.. were there at the VIP screening. We all know BH wouldn't miss his friends' events .. if he could..

Disclaimer: partly-gisted, mostly-guessed l rubie-EverythingLBH

June 21, 2009

Lee Byung Hun, handsome face in new GI Joe trailer released for public

20090621112240212b6_135404_0.jpg

[star News] Actor Lee Byung-hun in the full-fledged Hollywood movie GI Joe: The Rise of Cobra - continue to appear without the mask in the newly-released trailer for tv.

Various movie sites have been highlighting the new trailer since the past week. From the first 'Paris Attack' preview of blowing up the Eiffel Tower which showed Lee Byunghun unmasked, this new trailer piece also showed his face without being covered.

The latest update had certainly helped lessen eager fans' concern and worry waiting for the movie even with the release of new movie posters including Storm Shadow in his trademark costume as the trailer scenes had showed the character in and out of the mask. Needless to say, Lee Byunghun as ninja-expert Storm Shadow is expected to show some brilliant swordsmanship skills in the upcoming movie.

Directed by director of 'The Mummy' Stephen Sommers, Paramount Pictures' GI Joe: The Rise of Cobra' will be released starting August 7 across the United States, and worldwide screening including South Korea.

Source: kr.news.yahoo.com

New trailer streaming HERE l HERE l HERE

Just read from Innolife.com that the documentary is about those who fight for their rights and peace in Afghanistan.

Managed to watch.. or rather hear BH narrating the KBS documentary via streaming. There's no English subs and the subject was pretty serious topic, obviously. But always glad to hear his voice.. :blush:

gbw jp bad-bear copied from GBW-cafe.daum 4256

090620173322.jpg090620173504.jpg

More IRIS sharing in Hungary :w00t: our utmost thanks to Khamul via Byunghun of our Hearts ^^

Khamul

June 22, 2009 at 11:39 am

To be honest, I wasn’t really into Korean dramas up until now, so I wasn’t aware of the filming crew coming to Hungary. It was pure coincidence that I stumbled across the team (or rather, the security guys told us that the parking lot was off-limits…^_^;), but the set was so spectacular that after returning home I spent like an hour and half browsing to find out what was going on until I found the trailer of IRIS on youtube… WOW! O_O Amazing.

Oh, by the way – I found some (filming/crew & actor Jung Jun Ho) pictures taken in Keszthely by another fan a week ago. I hope I won’t violate any forum rules by posting a link:

http://img14.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=dscn5268p.jpg

Majom has all credits for the photos. I’m sorry I didn’t have my camera on me on Saturday… ^_^;

And by what I read, IRIS would feature some of the same sites the film ‘I Spy’ (2002, with Eddie Murphy) did.

If I find them again, I shall report back immediately – and hopefully with pictures! : )

Related

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keszthely

http://wikitravel.org/en/Keszthely

Guest shinerelsie

Lee Byung-hun chosen by Japanese magazine as the No. 1 Asian actor to have as a boyfriend courtesy of Arirang's showbiz Extra.

I am 101% agreed to that one. Byung hun had a unique personality that's stand out compared to anybody and based on most roles that he had portrayed, he really lovable and ideal to be your guy... Whoever the girl that may capture Byung Hun's heart really lucky.

Guest shinerelsie

Lee Byung Hun, Most Wanted in Japan

4973 Views | 80 Comments

evelynn in General | 20 Jun 2009 - 04:06 PM

200906110001.jpg

Lee Byung Hun Most Wanted in Japan

With a list of artists from several countries worldwide, Lee Byung Hun was chosen as the most wanted boyfriend in Japan. Sexy, charismatic, knowledgable, who wouldn't want to date him?

CREA, a Japanese magazine, chose the most wanted actor to date in Hollywood and Asia. Byung Hun was No.1 out of the 40 Asian celebrities that were chosen. As No.1, CREA gave a history of the movies and dramas he played in, that he was a delegate as part of UNICEF, and his fluency of many different languages such as Korean, English, Chinese, and French. The magazine also flaunted that at the 23rd Golden Disk Award Ceremony, Byung Hun had recieved the "Best Asian Artist Award" for his Japanese single album.

CREA continued to rave about his roles, saying that he was very bold and manly with his "poker face." But even so, every strong man has their emotional side. Byung Hun was brought to tears when he was recognized and given a standing ovation for his movie "The Good, The Bad, The Weird" at the well known Cannes Festival.

Byung Hun will be in Japan this summer to promote the release of three of his movies including "The Good, The Bad, The Weird, "G.I Joe: The Rise of Cobra," and "I Come with the Rain."

""I hope he change his hairstyle. He much looked good when he shows his face clearly like what he looks in ALL IN..

Guest ellabel

Looks like Iris shooting in Hungary is doing well. Hmmm.... lovely muscles... sekshi and dirty HUNnie... I like! :w00t:

Thanks for all the updates, rubie.

Daym!!! So pissed to discover that I no longer have Discovery Channel in my cable... :tears: .. i can swear i had before..dont know when it was removed as i dont really watch it. well, i hope i can still watch Hip Korea of LBH someday....even in youtube. I missed that! :angry:

^ What?! Didn't know that you weren't able to watch the Seoul Savvy segment.. Ella. :o Except for LS and this rambling rubie.. everyone's so quiet about the show.. so we don't know if others actually managed to watch and liked it.. or otherwise.. :huh:

But not to worry.. as there will be Discovery Channel DVDs coming out featuring the Hip Korea Seoul Savvy segment. We'll surely see our Hunnie.. no matter what. :lol:

---

An IRIS mention to share

Stills of IRIS filming in Hungary revealed

coolsmurf in Drama | 23 Jun 2009 - 04:44 AM

Still of the IRIS cast in Hungary were revealed recently by Taewon Entertainment. Tense chasing scenes with gun battles and explosions were filmed with the main cast of Lee Byung Hun, Kim Tae Hee, Jung Jun Ho, Kim So Yeon and Kim Seung Woo. And please do not ask where T.O.P is. If you are a loyal akp reader, you should have already known. But for newcomers to our akp website, here's why.

20090623113138509l3_120924_0.jpg

kr.news.yahoo.com

The production team are still in the midst of filming in Hungary which had started since 13th of June and will end on the 28th, a total of 3 weeks, without any breaks in between. Most of the filming took place in the cities of Budapest and Balaton. After ending their filming in Hungary, filming will resume back in Korea starting in July. Korea's first-ever spy thriller drama is scheduled for broadcast this September on KBS2TV.

Although Lee Byung Hun is clearly holding a gun, I have images of him being a butcher instead with a big cleaver. Must be the outfit with the blue apron lookalike.

Source: allkpop.com

I accidentally made a double posting but decided not to edit the consecutive posts because I'd be sure to make the next message, anyways.. can't be helped, right?

It sure is a wonderful surprise seeing BH & IRIS pics all the way from Hungary and from coolsmurf's update, if accurate.. the cast & crew have been working really hard, throughout to film everuthing smoothly in their 3-week stint in the European location. So.. it's not quite a month as initially reported. With more filming to resume in July when they return before end of the month and that will surely be double schedule for BH with GI Joe as well as his birthday celebration.. all lined up in the special red-hot month..

Seeing the new captures.. happy + glad as it is.. actually made this blurpanda really miss him more.. :tears:

Thanks to the highlight by cacao-lovelbh.com

07224893.jpg

Source: 7andy.jp

Guest Brunhild(Ponyo)

Hi rubie and LBH fan girls on this thread! Even though you have been talking about broader theme about LBH's recent works, let me go back to ICWTR once again. hehe sorry....Josh was saying that some kind of worms are living in his brain or something but in my case, my ICWTR beautiful bugs are living in my brain and it never goes out.

OH by saying the words 'bugs' and 'worms', it made me see the flash back of that scene; let me comment about Kimutaku's close-up face scene, which little worms were groveling about his face. Even that scene, all the creepy worms didn't look bad. I mean Kimutaku - S h i tao was so clean that had the power to purify all the bad, the blood, the creeps, etc.

I love Tran Anh Hung's cinematography. All the scenes were so poetically aritistic and the music!! THe music really matched!

The details are interesting to see too. We sould watch it more carefully so to watch the movie more than once is probably needed to understand Tran Anh Hung's obssessiveness as a pro.^^

LBH's shiny shirts even seemed poetic.

Kimura's yellow raincoat (maybe there was a cross mark on it?) looked poetic too.

oh oh oh oh the best picture was the cross shaped sky viewed from the building. :D (see my avatar is now their premier which held in Japan earlier).

One LBH's die hard fan from Japan made this video. She has a good sense and knows LBH and the movies' flavor very well, IMO.

Guest kimchibabe

^ What?! Didn't know that you weren't able to watch the Seoul Savvy segment.. Ella. :o Except for LS and this rambling rubie.. everyone's so quiet about the show.. so we don't know if others actually managed to watch and liked it.. or otherwise.. :huh:

But not to worry.. as there will be Discovery Channel DVDs coming out featuring the Hip Korea Seoul Savvy segment. We'll surely see our Hunnie.. no matter what. :lol:

Actually I got to watch two replays of Seoul Savvy (June 20 & 23!). I found it to be quite short or maybe I was just too hungry for BH that I "salivated" for more on him. BH spoke great English and that peculiar accent, typical Asian. What I liked is the way that he was described as the "ultimate artiste". The words morph, evolve,change and transform...it stuck in my mind for that was what we saw in the clips. I for one think that he was an "ugly duckling" turning into a beautiful swan. And what grace, what class he exudes today! :rolleyes:

But BH looked really good in the docu most esp in the white tee and scarf. I wished that he had removed it and shown his chest*sigh* but the scarf was meant as a teaser. I also confirmed that he was really handsome in BD. And I relished the piano playing part for he simply glided thru his piece mistakes and all. Gosh, he was so cool and funny. :P:D

Yes, I too hope that Discovery Channel will put out a DVD of Seoul Savvy. Its a must have...seeing BH at the prime of his life....desiring him even more for truly he is just so seductive today than he has ever been before.

Hi rubie and LBH fan girls on this thread! Even though you have been talking about broader theme about LBH's recent works, let me go back to ICWTR once again. hehe sorry....Josh was saying that some kind of worms are living in his brain or something but in my case, my ICWTR beautiful bugs are living in my brain and it never goes out.

Hi hi! So good to see you and read your thoughts about ICWTR. Please don't apologize for sharing about LBH. I don't know and cannot say for others, not seen the movie yet but I lovelovelove talking about Byunghun-ssi (perhaps.. too much annoyance to everyone here :sweatingbullets: ).. just my way of appreciating and learning about him, every day. Even if it's his work from 2 or 17 years ago, still so crazy to share about him.. although I've not seen the particular movies or dramas. Sometimes, we really can't get hold of a certain event/movie/drama so talking about it helps lessen the disappointments. Honestly, I have not seen GBW (The Good, The Bad, The Weird) but I love reading all the fan-reviews especially and sharing everything about the movie.

I'm glad to read your first-hand input about ICWTR.. I'm not sure how much my own reaction would be when watching the movie.. one day.. but reading from fans' perspective would help to be more open-minded (frankly I stay away from the gruesome/gory/abstract themed storylines). So, really appreciate the tidbits. :blush: From a general point.. it's obvious Dir. Tran's work would clearly invoke extreme feedback from the audience. That I believe is already point of success to say the least.. indicating the movie is never dim nor boring, no no no. ^^ And reading some professional point of view.. ICWTR is definitely high on top of the list, too.

Brunhild(Ponyo).. it's a treat having you here.. please don't hesitate to share everything about LBH *let those beautiful bugs out!* .. this thread strives on that very notion.. :D .. btw.. what can we call you better with?

Actually I got to watch two replays of Seoul Savvy (June 20 & 23!). I found it to be quite short or maybe I was just too hungry for BH that I "salivated" for more on him. BH spoke great English and that peculiar accent, typical Asian. What I liked is the way that he was described as the "ultimate artiste". The words morph, evolve,change and transform...it stuck in my mind for that was what we saw in the clips. I for one think that he was an "ugly duckling" turning into a beautiful swan. And what grace, what class he exudes today! :rolleyes:

But BH looked really good in the docu most esp in the white tee and scarf. I wished that he had removed it and shown his chest*sigh* but the scarf was meant as a teaser. I also confirmed that he was really handsome in BD. And I relished the piano playing part for he simply glided thru his piece mistakes and all. Gosh, he was so cool and funny. :P:D

Yes, I too hope that Discovery Channel will put out a DVD of Seoul Savvy. Its a must have...seeing BH at the prime of his life....desiring him even more for truly he is just so seductive today than he has ever been before.

That is awesome sharing kimchibabe-ssi! ^^ So glad to read more Seoul Savvy comments, yupyup! As I've only seen the one on NHK (which I'm told there's a shorter & longer version as well).. without any subs, only BH's English commentary as the guide.. there seems to be a bit of difference between the Japanese clip vs the international Seoul Savvy but perhaps, not too much. The piano playing part -- didn't see that in the NHK version, was it the one from the Arena Tour event?

I agree that the "scarf' was a teaser as well.. kinda similar to someone.. but anyhoo.. noticed his bracelet.. sorta green/blue-ish beads. Not the latest black beads or pearls. ^^ Seems that BH has quite a collection of the bracelets. Oops.. rubie is such loonie about the wrist accessories. Well.. just because. :P

Btw.. Cynthia was right.. the Ferrari was not his. It's definitely a cool feature to have in the Seoul Savvy segment seeing an awesome actor driving a great car amidst the city lights.. so, the sleek sports-car was specially arranged for him. Indeed, the DVD will be out for fans to get.. with the Discovery Channel as the main producer.. it'll be available widely outside Japan as well.

One thing for sure, always .. our Byunghun-ssi is definitely so much more attractive these days (seeing his transformation through continuous acting work and appearances).. such clear indication of hardworking improvement and never-ending commitment.. such seductive honey-like sweetness.. his clear passion & presence simply escalates each time we see him. True confidence all the way.. all-in and all-out!

calendar.gif In 6 days' time, it'll be the red-hot month of Julykaos-panda28.gif.. our fave Hunnie's birthday month. As persistingly as always :P .. encouraging all sweet sharing of birthday artwork so that we can put it up at the EverythingLBH blog for our warm wishes. too. :blush: :wub:

Guest kimchibabe

That is awesome sharing kimchibabe-ssi! ^^ So glad to read more Seoul Savvy comments, yupyup! As I've only seen the one on NHK (which I'm told there's a shorter & longer version as well).. without any subs, only BH's English commentary as the guide.. there seems to be a bit of difference between the Japanese clip vs the international Seoul Savvy but perhaps, not too much. The piano playing part -- didn't see that in the NHK version, was it the one from the Arena Tour event?

Yes, it was from the Arena Tour and he was in a formal tux (the one with tails). Did you get to see the cooking part where he played "Sakura" with the pots? That was cute too. He was wearing his favorite checkered shirt outside of his regular tee. He was simply adorable.

Well, that's our BH..always honest and natural, no pretenses..he laughs even at himself. How can we not adore him...impossible! :P:)