gm4queen

[Box office] Movies in theaters this week

http://res.heraldm.com/content/image/2023/08/03/20230803000796_0.jpg

“Smuggler”

(South Korea)

Opened July 26

Crime/Action

Directed by Ryoo Seung-wan

Jo Choon-ja (Kim Hye-soo) returns to her old town after three years away. Her best buddy, Um Jin-sook (Yum Jung-ah), who spent time in prison on a smuggling conviction during that time, feels betrayed when Choon-ja reappears. But they soon resolve their misunderstanding and collaborate on a mutual goal.

(skipped unrelated.....)

credit : Korea Herald

https://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20230803000744&np=1&mp=1

'Smugglers' draws 3.5 million viewers in second week

Main poster for ″Smugglers″ [NEXT ENTERTAINMENT WORLD]

“Smugglers” attracted a cumulative total of 3.5 million moviegoers, while competing films “Ransomed” and “The Moon” failed to attract even one million over the weekend.

“Smugglers,” starring Kim Hye-soo and Yum Jung-ah as female divers, attracted 3.5 million moviegoers in the second week of its release as of Sunday. Only one other Korean film, “The Roundup: No Way Out,” had attracted more than 3 million viewers. “The Roundup: No Way Out” ultimately garnered 10.6 million, becoming the first film since the wane of the Covid-19 pandemic to gain the title of 10-million-ticket-seller.

(skipped unrelated.....)

credit : JoongAngDaily

https://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/2023/08/07/entertainment/movies/Korea-Smugglers-The-Moon/20230807115315761.html

*** Upcoming Disney+ series “Moving” has dropped a new group poster! The newly released poster features ten main characters including the three secret agents Joo Won (Ryu Seung Ryong), Mi Hyun (Han Hyo Joo), and Doo Shik (Jo In Sung) posing at the center. The first seven episodes of the drama will be released together TONIGHT August 9, after which two new episodes will be released each week for a total of 20 episodes. TODAY is D-DAY!   :ohboy2:

moving-main-poster.jpeg

source : https://entertain.naver.com/now/read?oid=408&aid=0000197219

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Ryu Seung Ryong, Han Hyo Joo, Jo In Sung, And More Are Determined To Fight For Their Loved Ones In “Moving” Poster

20230809024504_moving-main-poster-1.jpeg

Upcoming Disney+ series “Moving” has dropped a new group poster!

Based on the webtoon of the same name, “Moving” is a new superhero action drama about teenagers with hidden superhuman powers and their parents who, unbeknownst to them, harbor a painful secret from their past. They eventually team up to battle powerful dark forces that threaten multiple generations across different eras.

The newly released poster features ten main characters including the three secret agents Joo Won (Ryu Seung Ryong), Mi Hyun (Han Hyo Joo), and Doo Shik (Jo In Sung) posing at the center. On their left are Kye Do (Cha Tae Hyun), Jae Man (Kim Sung Kyun), and Il Hwan (Kim Hee Won) as well as Frank (Ryu Seung Bum), who chases after the secret agents. On their right are Bong Seok (Lee Jung Ha), Hee Soo (Go Yoon Jung), and Kang Hoon (Kim Do Hoon), the children who inherited both of their mother’s and father’s supernatural powers.

moving-main-poster.jpeg

The first seven episodes of “Moving” will be released together on August 9, after which two new episodes will be released each week for a total of 20 episodes. Check out the latest teaser here!

credit : soompi news

'Smugglers' to compete in Sitges Film Festival

"Smugglers" by director Ryoo Seung-wan has been invited to the 56th Sitges Film Festival's Òrbita section, distributor Next Entertainment World announced Wednesday.

Held annually in Sitges, Spain, the event is one of the three biggest fantastic film festivals globally, along with the Brussels International Fantastic Film Festival and the Fantasporto held in Portugal.

"'Smugglers' is an unexpectedly moving film featuring female heroes and director Ryoo has attempted a new feat," the festival's director Ángel Sala said in a press release.

"Smugglers" is about a group of female divers in a fictional town in Korea in the 1970s who smuggle goods from the sea. Kim Hye-soo, Yum Jung-ah and Zo In-sung star in the film.

"Smugglers" has also been invited to the 48th Toronto Film Festival and the 76th Locarno International Film Festival. The film has so far attracted more than 3 million moviegoers, beating other Korean summer blockbusters "Ransomed" and "The Moon."

Um Tae-hwa's "Concrete Utopia" has also been invited to the Sitges Film Festival.

BY LIM JEONG-WON [lim.jeongwon@joongang.co.kr]

https://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/2023/08/10/entertainment/movies/Korea-Smugglers-Sitges-Film-Festival/20230810135704053.html

*** Disney+ plans to drop the first seven episodes on the premiere date, and then the rest of the drama will follow in weekly installments. It’s a little bit more experimental than their usual release schedule. Will it work? I sure hope so, because the thought of this cast with superhuman powers hiding, fighting, flying, etc. sounds like a good time to me. (Plus, Jo In Sung, right?) Episodes 1-7 are on Hulu (US) now! It's just that Hulu doesn't do a good job of bringing attention to new series because if you search Korean dramas, no list of "Moving."   :heart1:

Premiere Watch: Moving (August 9)

Time slot: Wednesdays
Broadcaster: Disney+
Genre: Sci-fi, action, mystery, thriller
Episode count: 20

Reasons to watch: This drama looks like it was quite the undertaking — with a popular webtoon as its source, an expansive superhero universe at its core, 20 episodes, and a sprawling (and impressive) cast, I’m overwhelmed just thinking about it! The cast features: Ryu Seung-ryong, Jo In-sung, Han Hyo-joo, Kim Sung-kyun, Cha Tae-hyun, Ryu Seung-beom, Go Yoon-jung, Kim Do-hoon, Lee Jung-ha, Kim Hee-won, Park Hee-soon, and more.

*** The episodes 1-7 of "Moving" has little to no exposure to the superpowers of the senior members. I guess the show takes its time in setting up the atmosphere yet. Maybe it’s my liking of Jo In Sung, but I hoped to see more of him, though. I'm looking forward to watching more of this bunch.   :heart1:

[Box office] Movies in theaters this week

“Smugglers”

(South Korea)

Opened July 26

Crime/Action

Directed by Ryoo Seung-wan

Jo Choon-ja (Kim Hye-soo) returns to her old town after three years away. Her best buddy, Um Jin-sook (Yum Jung-ah), who spent time in prison on a smuggling conviction during that time, feels betrayed when Choon-ja reappears. But they soon resolve their differences and collaborate on a mutual goal.

(skipped unrelated.....)

credit : https://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20230810000762&np=1&mp=1

'Moving' Star Zo Insung Lifts Lid on 'True Monsters' in New Disney+ K-Drama

Espionage, deadly missions and hidden superhuman powers form the backdrop of Moving, a gripping new K-drama action series on Disney+.

But at its heart is a story about "ordinary people with extraordinary powers," Korean actor Zo Insung, one of the leading cast members of Moving, told Newsweek on Friday in his first-ever interview with a mainstream U.S. publication.

Speaking to Newsweek from San Francisco, Zo said: "We often think that those with special qualities also come with a grand external persona. But Moving is a story about ordinary people with extraordinary powers, people who are special but are not living very special lives."

Set in the 1990s, Moving, which premiered earlier this week, sees a group of agents from South Korea's National Intelligence Service (NIS), who each have a superhuman ability, be put together as a secret elite team before they're mysteriously dispersed.

spacer.png

Korean actor Zo Insung seen in "Moving," the K-drama on Disney+ in which he plays a veteran agent of South Korea's National Intelligence Service who vanishes after taking on a deadly mission.

Zo—who will star alongside Michael Fassbender, Alicia Vikander and Squid Game star Jung Hoyeon in the upcoming film Hope—is joined by a star-studded cast in Moving, including Ryu Seungryong, from Kingdom and The Admiral: Roaring Currents, the most-watched and highest-grossing film in Korean cinema.

The series also stars Han Hyojoo (known from various K-dramas and films, including most recently 20th Century Girl and The Pirates: The Last Royal Treasure on Netflix).

Leaving their NIS pasts behind, the former agents live under the radar, hiding their abilities in a bid to protect themselves as well as their children, who inherited their supernatural gifts, from being exploited by the NIS and other government powers.

Zo said he agreed to do Moving even before seeing the script. "I decided to take on the project after I read the original webtoon by Kangfull [the eponymous webtoon upon which the series is based]. I felt the plot was very grounded and it's why I was drawn to this script."

Doosik's Greatest Hidden Power and Weakness

Zo's character Kim Doosik is a veteran NIS agent with an ability to fly. Despite the dark and cold nature of his profession, Doosik, whose character will be more fully unveiled in the upcoming episodes to be released next week, ultimately has "a heart for people."

Zo explained: "When we were developing my character, I felt that while he may operate in a very cold manner in his job, he wouldn't be this way when he meets Mihyun [a former agent, played by Han, who later becomes his wife].

"We all wear a mask when we're at work, depending on the demands of our jobs. So, we thought having Doosik be quite gentle and genuine in his true nature would make him a more three-dimensional character. This is how people are in real life, so we wanted to portray that with Doosik," he said.

Zo explained Doosik's "humanist, emotional side [is] his greatest hidden power."

While the work that Doosik does is "terrifying," he has this "desire to save even at least one person," which, of course, also comes with "the nature and ideology of his work."

But ultimately, "he has a heart for people," Zo said. "This element about him is both his greatest handicap and his most attractive quality."

Spoiler

spacer.png

Stills of Zo Insung in "Moving," the new Disney+ K-drama about former agents of South Korea's National Intelligence Service who possess supernatural abilities.DISNEY+

The Real Monsters and Heroes in Moving

Zo said the "true monsters" in the series are "those in power who attempt to use the weakness of these characters," the former agents, to maintain their authority.

He said: "I think these are the greatest villains and I feel for these characters who are being taken advantage of by them."

The "true heroes" in the series are the parents. Zo noted: "These parents aren't extraordinary because of their special powers. The show portrays how parents can sacrifice everything to protect their kids and any parent who sees their child is in danger can emit a superhuman strength."

spacer.png

Stills of Zo Insung in "Moving," the new K-drama on Disney+ where he plays a veteran agent of South Korea's National Intelligence Service with a superhuman power.DISNEY+

Favorite Scene and Spoiler for Moving

The scene that captivated Zo the most is one featuring an exhausted Mihyun sitting in a restaurant who looks to her young son and says "I'm having a hard time."

Zo said: "I felt the acting in this scene was incredible and that line alone would move many people, as it's something many can relate to."

The actor added: "Han also wrestled a lot with her character and the traces of her efforts can be seen on screen. I felt she was very convincing as a mother in this role."

Zo was also intrigued by the story of Jang Huisoo, the character played by Go Younjung (known from Sweet Home and Alchemy of Souls on Netflix). She is the daughter of another former agent, played by Ryu.

"I thought it was a difficult part to play—someone who's really laid back and down to Earth yet has a heavy backstory," Zo noted.

Asked if he can share any spoilers from the upcoming episodes, Zo said: "I haven't actually watched the full series yet myself, as the show was being edited until the very last minute."

He added: "But what I can say is that as we approach the end, the intensity of the clash between these characters will be immense."

spacer.png

A still from the new Disney+ K-drama "Moving," featuring Korean actors Ryu Seungryong (left), Han Hyojoo (center) and Zo Insung (right).DISNEY+

Brad Pitt and Hollywood Collaborations

Zo is due to begin filming one of his first Hollywood projects, Hope, a sci-fi thriller directed by Korean director Na Hong-Jin (known from the Korean horror mystery The Wailing).

"We'll begin shooting it at the end of this month and will probably continue into next year," Zo said, noting he's unable to share any details about his character in the film at this stage. The actor said he suspects the film may be out the following year.

Asked which Hollywood director and actor he'd most love to work with, flashing a slight grin from the corner of his mouth, Zo replied: "In all honesty, it's not something I've ever thought about. Of course, there are directors I like, but I've never dared to think I could work with that person one day."

But Zo's favorite actor is Hollywood star Brad Pitt. Noting there are too many films to name in terms of his favorite films starring Pitt, Zo said he most recently really enjoyed Ad Astra, especially for Pitt's acting in the Oscar-nominated film.

He said: "I was most impressed by his inner acting...playing a character that's not allowed to express his feelings. But his feelings couldn't help but unconsciously be expressed. There's a scene [in Ad Astra] where you see that clash between reason and emotion, which I thought was fantastic.

"If there ever is a chance for me to work with Brad Pitt, I think it would be amazing," Zo added.

Moving is available to stream on Disney+ now.

https://www.newsweek.com/k-drama-moving-disneyplus-cast-interview-zo-insung-korean-actor-1819314

4 hours ago, syntyche said:

'Moving' Star Zo Insung Lifts Lid on 'True Monsters' in New Disney+ K-Drama

Espionage, deadly missions and hidden superhuman powers form the backdrop of Moving, a gripping new K-drama action series on Disney+.

But at its heart is a story about "ordinary people with extraordinary powers," Korean actor Zo Insung, one of the leading cast members of Moving, told Newsweek on Friday in his first-ever interview with a mainstream U.S. publication.

Speaking to Newsweek from San Francisco, Zo said: "We often think that those with special qualities also come with a grand external persona. But Moving is a story about ordinary people with extraordinary powers, people who are special but are not living very special lives."

Set in the 1990s, Moving, which premiered earlier this week, sees a group of agents from South Korea's National Intelligence Service (NIS), who each have a superhuman ability, be put together as a secret elite team before they're mysteriously dispersed.

Korean actor Zo Insung seen in "Moving," the K-drama on Disney+ in which he plays a veteran agent of South Korea's National Intelligence Service who vanishes after taking on a deadly mission.

Zo—who will star alongside Michael Fassbender, Alicia Vikander and Squid Game star Jung Hoyeon in the upcoming film Hope—is joined by a star-studded cast in Moving, including Ryu Seungryong, from Kingdom and The Admiral: Roaring Currents, the most-watched and highest-grossing film in Korean cinema.

The series also stars Han Hyojoo (known from various K-dramas and films, including most recently 20th Century Girl and The Pirates: The Last Royal Treasure on Netflix).

Leaving their NIS pasts behind, the former agents live under the radar, hiding their abilities in a bid to protect themselves as well as their children, who inherited their supernatural gifts, from being exploited by the NIS and other government powers.

Zo said he agreed to do Moving even before seeing the script. "I decided to take on the project after I read the original webtoon by Kangfull [the eponymous webtoon upon which the series is based]. I felt the plot was very grounded and it's why I was drawn to this script."

Doosik's Greatest Hidden Power and Weakness

Zo's character Kim Doosik is a veteran NIS agent with an ability to fly. Despite the dark and cold nature of his profession, Doosik, whose character will be more fully unveiled in the upcoming episodes to be released next week, ultimately has "a heart for people."

Zo explained: "When we were developing my character, I felt that while he may operate in a very cold manner in his job, he wouldn't be this way when he meets Mihyun [a former agent, played by Han, who later becomes his wife].

"We all wear a mask when we're at work, depending on the demands of our jobs. So, we thought having Doosik be quite gentle and genuine in his true nature would make him a more three-dimensional character. This is how people are in real life, so we wanted to portray that with Doosik," he said.

Zo explained Doosik's "humanist, emotional side [is] his greatest hidden power."

While the work that Doosik does is "terrifying," he has this "desire to save even at least one person," which, of course, also comes with "the nature and ideology of his work."

But ultimately, "he has a heart for people," Zo said. "This element about him is both his greatest handicap and his most attractive quality."

Reveal hidden contents

spacer.png

Stills of Zo Insung in "Moving," the new Disney+ K-drama about former agents of South Korea's National Intelligence Service who possess supernatural abilities.DISNEY+

The Real Monsters and Heroes in Moving

Zo said the "true monsters" in the series are "those in power who attempt to use the weakness of these characters," the former agents, to maintain their authority.

He said: "I think these are the greatest villains and I feel for these characters who are being taken advantage of by them."

The "true heroes" in the series are the parents. Zo noted: "These parents aren't extraordinary because of their special powers. The show portrays how parents can sacrifice everything to protect their kids and any parent who sees their child is in danger can emit a superhuman strength."

Stills of Zo Insung in "Moving," the new K-drama on Disney+ where he plays a veteran agent of South Korea's National Intelligence Service with a superhuman power.DISNEY+

Favorite Scene and Spoiler for Moving

The scene that captivated Zo the most is one featuring an exhausted Mihyun sitting in a restaurant who looks to her young son and says "I'm having a hard time."

Zo said: "I felt the acting in this scene was incredible and that line alone would move many people, as it's something many can relate to."

The actor added: "Han also wrestled a lot with her character and the traces of her efforts can be seen on screen. I felt she was very convincing as a mother in this role."

Zo was also intrigued by the story of Jang Huisoo, the character played by Go Younjung (known from Sweet Home and Alchemy of Souls on Netflix). She is the daughter of another former agent, played by Ryu.

"I thought it was a difficult part to play—someone who's really laid back and down to Earth yet has a heavy backstory," Zo noted.

Asked if he can share any spoilers from the upcoming episodes, Zo said: "I haven't actually watched the full series yet myself, as the show was being edited until the very last minute."

He added: "But what I can say is that as we approach the end, the intensity of the clash between these characters will be immense."

A still from the new Disney+ K-drama "Moving," featuring Korean actors Ryu Seungryong (left), Han Hyojoo (center) and Zo Insung (right).DISNEY+

Brad Pitt and Hollywood Collaborations

Zo is due to begin filming one of his first Hollywood projects, Hope, a sci-fi thriller directed by Korean director Na Hong-Jin (known from the Korean horror mystery The Wailing).

"We'll begin shooting it at the end of this month and will probably continue into next year," Zo said, noting he's unable to share any details about his character in the film at this stage. The actor said he suspects the film may be out the following year.

Asked which Hollywood director and actor he'd most love to work with, flashing a slight grin from the corner of his mouth, Zo replied: "In all honesty, it's not something I've ever thought about. Of course, there are directors I like, but I've never dared to think I could work with that person one day."

But Zo's favorite actor is Hollywood star Brad Pitt. Noting there are too many films to name in terms of his favorite films starring Pitt, Zo said he most recently really enjoyed Ad Astra, especially for Pitt's acting in the Oscar-nominated film.

He said: "I was most impressed by his inner acting...playing a character that's not allowed to express his feelings. But his feelings couldn't help but unconsciously be expressed. There's a scene [in Ad Astra] where you see that clash between reason and emotion, which I thought was fantastic.

"If there ever is a chance for me to work with Brad Pitt, I think it would be amazing," Zo added.

Moving is available to stream on Disney+ now.

https://www.newsweek.com/k-drama-moving-disneyplus-cast-interview-zo-insung-korean-actor-1819314

@syntyche  thanks for sharing this. The drama is receiving rave reviews for its interesting characters and immersive plot. Viewers showered the show with praise. It has the fantastic CG effects.   :Twerkdatbutt:

• Awesome 1

On 8/10/2023 at 9:11 PM, syntyche said:

Moving Character Vide

@syntyche  thanks for sharing this video.  I love this drama because it is a fast-paced action series. It keeps me at the edge of my seat after every episode! I hope on the next episode, Jo In Sung's character gets to have its own spotlight. Personally, "Moving"  is fun to watch. Seeing the characters navigate the world with their superpowers is interesting. The action scenes are incredibly well-made and fast-paced, keeping it entertaining even for those who are not particular about that genre. The relationships between the characters are also a big part of the show.   :kitty:

• Like 1

Korean Box Office for the Weekend 2023.08.11 ~ 2023.08.13

credit : https://www.kobis.or.kr/kobis/business/main/main.do

Films Release date Week-end Total
1 "Concrete Utopia" (콘크리트 유토피아) 2023/08/09 1 129 649 1 546 191
2 "Smugglers" (밀수) 2023/07/26 425 405 4 355 425
3 "Elemental"   192 834 6 645 577
4 "Ransomed" (비공식작전) 2023/08/02 125 410 981 454
5 "Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part One"   61 258 3 962 952
6 "The Moon" (더 문) 2023/08/02 50 582 483 829
7 "Detective Conan The Movie: Black Iron Submarine" (名探偵コナン 黒鉄の魚影)   26 357 730 865
8 "Octonauts: Above and Beyond – Season 2"   23 841 39 651
9 "Barbie"   18 523 555 766
10 "Running Man: Revengers" (런닝맨: 리벤져스) 2023/08/10 18 247 25 532

*** It surpassed its break-even target after just 17 days. According to NEW, the film's distributor, its total ticket sales recorded over 4.19 million as of Saturday, becoming the second highest-grossing film of the year following "The Roundup: No Way Out," which garnered more than 10 million moviegoers. With the release of "Concrete Utopia," however, the movie slipped to second spot but continues to perform well at the box office.   :Fist1:

'Smugglers' surpasses four million cumulative viewers

optimize

“Smugglers” garnered more than 4 million cumulative moviegoers on Friday, 17 days after its release, surpassing its breakeven point, according to distributor Next Entertainment World.

"Smugglers" is about a group of female divers in a fictional town in Korea in the 1970s who smuggle goods from the sea. Kim Hye-soo, Yum Jung-ah and Zo In-sung star in the film.

“Smugglers” is one of four domestically produced films having opened this summer that was expected to revive the stagnant film industry, along with “Ransomed,” “The Moon” and “Concrete Utopia.” So far, “Smugglers” has been doing the best, with “Concrete Utopia” gaining 1 million moviegoers in the first week of its release and “Ransomed” and “The Moon” trailing behind.

Directed by Ryoo Seung-wan, “Smugglers” has also been invited to the 56th Sitges Film Festival, the 48th Toronto Film Festival and the 76th Locarno International Film Festival.

BY LIM JEONG-WON [lim.jeongwon@joongang.co.kr]

https://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/news/2023-08-13/entertainment/movies/Smugglers-surpasses-four-million-cumulative-viewers/1845533

*** Recently, Jo In-sung and Han Hyo-joo, who played superpower couples in “Moving”, joined forces to shoot a couple pictorial for the Korean fashion magazine “BAZAAR Korea”. At the press conference of the drama, Han Hyo-joo mentioned the collaboration with Jo In-sung: “Actually, I have met In-sung Oppa many times since we were young because of the shooting of commercials, but it is still the first time to collaborate in acting in the same work and got a lot of help on set. I was very dependent on him during the filming.”   So NICE to see them on pictures together because in the drama they didn't share a scene for now. There are a lot of big names in this drama. I guess next up episode is the focus on the parent generation and their backstory......fingers crossed......... since the first 7-EPs were focused on the H.S. generation, which came out last week.   :kaching1:

205ec723.jpg

photo source :

https://www.archyde.com/moving-ability-jo-in-sung-♥-han-hyo-joo-super-ability-couple-fit-together-to-shoot-a-couple-pictorialthe-cp-tacit-understanding-of-fighting-with-each-other-is-super-good-kdaily-korean-f/

• Love 1

‘Smugglers,’ ‘Concrete Utopia’ score at box office while 'The Moon' is a bust

Homegrown blockbuster films are vying for viewers this summer, with their distributors hoping to see consecutive releases bring back moviegoers.

But moviegoers’ taste for “something new” over impressive visuals and star-studded casting have determined the fate of major film releases.

Director Ryoo Seung-wan’s female-led crime action “Smugglers” passed its breakeven point in its third week of release on Sunday, having pulled in 4.35 million moviegoers nationwide, according to Korean Film Council figures. The film ranked at No. 2 in the box office during the weekend.

"Smugglers," which cost around 20 billion won ($15.8 million) to produce, is a crime caper centered on the residents of a peaceful seaside village in the 1970s, many of whom are involved in smuggling. Ryoo’s iconic sense of humor and strong action sequences, as well as the star-studded lineup that includes Kim Hye-soo, Yum Jung-ah, Zo In-sung, Park Jung-min and Go Min-si has proved to have a wide-ranging appeal.

(skipped unrelated.....)

credit : Korea Herald

https://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20230815000161

*** “Smugglers” had kept its top place at the box office for two consecutive weeks since its release before giving up the top spot to “Concrete Utopia.” This is one of the produced films expected to revive the stagnant film industry this summer.   :kitty: